PDA

View Full Version : Duke's Bowl Prospects

Olympic Fan
09-25-2016, 01:08 PM
I'm going to start this thread while Duke still has bowl prospects. After the Notre Dame game, it's suddenly not ridiculous to think about a bowl. At ESPN, their new bowl projection (as of Sunday morning) has Duke in the St. Petersburg Bowl:

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/94905/acc-week-4-bowl-projections-duke-syracuse-get-back-into-the-race

About as lousy a bowl as possible -- played in a terrible facility, where Duke has had some terrible luck (the '98 regional collapse vs. Kentucky and the '99 title game loss to UConn) -- still ANY bowl would be an achievement for a young, rebuilding Duke team (especially after the losses to Wake and Northwestern).

Realistically, I'm going to restrain my optimism for at least two more weeks. Beat Virginia and Army and I think our chances are pretty good ... lose either of those two home games and we might as well let this thread die. Of course, what do I know -- I thought our bowl hopes were dead after the Northwestern loss. Maybe we lose to Virginia and beat Louisville!

hallcity
09-25-2016, 01:38 PM
I'm going to start this thread while Duke still has bowl prospects. After the Notre Dame game, it's suddenly not ridiculous to think about a bowl. At ESPN, their new bowl projection (as of Sunday morning) has Duke in the St. Petersburg Bowl:

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/94905/acc-week-4-bowl-projections-duke-syracuse-get-back-into-the-race

About as lousy a bowl as possible -- played in a terrible facility, where Duke has had some terrible luck (the '98 regional collapse vs. Kentucky and the '99 title game loss to UConn) -- still ANY bowl would be an achievement for a young, rebuilding Duke team (especially after the losses to Wake and Northwestern).

Realistically, I'm going to restrain my optimism for at least two more weeks. Beat Virginia and Army and I think our chances are pretty good ... lose either of those two home games and we might as well let this thread die. Of course, what do I know -- I thought our bowl hopes were dead after the Northwestern loss. Maybe we lose to Virginia and beat Louisville!

I'll take St. Pete over Shreveport or Detroit.

Bob Green
09-25-2016, 01:44 PM
Thanks for starting this thread to track Duke's quest for a fifth straight bowl game appearance. Presently, the conversation is about achieving six wins to qualify for a Tier 3 Bowl. While I am not picky and will be happy with any destination, Annapolis and the Military Bowl would be my preference.

Hopefully, this thread last does not die a quick death. I agree with OF wins the next two weeks will go a long way toward achieving the requisite six wins benchmark.

BD80
09-25-2016, 02:05 PM

HEY!!!

Good call ...

BandAlum83
09-25-2016, 02:12 PM
If we qualify for a bowl this season, it won't be undeserving.

Based on current projections, 9 of our opponents this year will be going to bowl games. I wonder how many teams can say that.

OldPhiKap
09-25-2016, 03:25 PM
"The advice I always give to young coaches: never forget how to count to six"

--Cut (paraphrase)

OZZIE4DUKE
09-25-2016, 03:43 PM
Bring on St. Pete! A warm weather bowl game the day after Christmas! LGD!

OldPhiKap
09-25-2016, 03:48 PM
Bring on St. Pete! A warm weather bowl game the day after Christmas! LGD!

I went to the Liberty Bowl in Tampa when we were there in '94 (+/-). Not a bad place to spend a few days.

Bob Green
09-25-2016, 04:03 PM
I went to the Liberty Bowl in Tampa when we were there in '94 (+/-). Not a bad place to spend a few days.

I hope someone else drove...Liberty Bowl is in Memphis. :cool:

Indoor66
09-25-2016, 04:07 PM

The driver was probably Barles Charkley. :o:D:cool:

OldPhiKap
09-25-2016, 04:08 PM

Sorry, Hall of Fame Bowl (I think).

The driver was probably Barles Charkley. :o:D:cool:

LOL.

ipatent
09-25-2016, 04:51 PM
Bowl or no bowl, yesterday's win will yield recruiting respect.

richardjackson199
09-25-2016, 04:56 PM
Bowl or no bowl, yesterday's win will yield recruiting respect.

Yes. And so would winning 4 more games against this schedule.

fuse
09-25-2016, 05:14 PM
To each their own, would love to see 6 wins before I put energy into which bowl Duke will be winning.

mike88
09-25-2016, 05:48 PM
While it would be great to get 6 (or more!) wins, there is a good chance that Duke will be invited to a bowl even if they finish 5-7. Our APR puts up at the top of the list, I would think.

BLPOG
09-25-2016, 07:11 PM

No. Just no. Nothing wrong with St. Pete, but the Tropicana dome is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. I hate that place. It needs to be nuked from orbit.