Yeah.

pamtar
09-24-2016, 06:57 PM
Oh Lawd!!!

Isaac Sours
09-24-2016, 06:59 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA--

Sorry, sorry.

So, props to AJ Reed for drilling the kick. It was basically an extra point but execution under pressure is wonderful to see from him.

dukelifer
09-24-2016, 06:59 PM
Wow! Wow! Makes up for a few basketball losses. Daniel Jones grew up big time today. What a game!

Newton_14
09-24-2016, 07:00 PM
Yeah.
6678How bout them Devils!!!!!!!!!

NYBri
09-24-2016, 07:01 PM
Woooooowwwwwww

killerleft
09-24-2016, 07:03 PM
I am almost crazily jealous of the Duke folks who got to see this win in person!

ipatent
09-24-2016, 07:04 PM
Tell me this isn't an illusion.

Native
09-24-2016, 07:06 PM
A true team effort. Every single player had their moment or their opportunity to make a play, and everyone capitalized. Borders, Singleton, Saxton, Jones, Duncan, Wilson, and AJ Reed with his first career makeI'm a real wanker for saying this.— what a win!

(Sidebar: Cut may have implied in his post-game interview that DeVon's injury is season-ending — said something along the lines of "We lost Sirk, and now we've lost DeVon". Nothing official, but ominous nonetheless.)

peloton
09-24-2016, 07:07 PM
I am almost crazily jealous of the Duke folks who got to see this win in person!

I was just about to express the same sentiment, KL! How 'bout those Blue Devils?!!! Pretty amazing and impressive win by our guys...now I know how fans feel when they upset us in basketball. Wow...what a win!

Troublemaker
09-24-2016, 07:08 PM
Awesome win. I was hoping this team would gradually improve and be able to pull off this type of upset in November. Cut and the team: "Screw gradual."

Wilson's kickoff return was such a momentum changer. Defense then stepped up with 3-and-out right away. And it became a ballgame.

Hoping Edwards' injury turns out to be minor but have a bad feeling.

ipatent
09-24-2016, 07:09 PM
Down 0-14 with Edwards hurt, things didn't look very good. We've found ourselves a quarterback, that's for sure.

grossbus
09-24-2016, 07:10 PM
boy, was that fun to watch. tuned in just in time to catch wilson's return for TD.

just splendid.

wilson
09-24-2016, 07:11 PM
WILSON gets the game ball for the momentum-shifting kick return.
And I'm pretty sure I just read the first chapter of The Legend of Daniel Jones.

DukieInKansas
09-24-2016, 07:16 PM
I texted DD that I'm ready to send bail money if he gets arrested for going onto the field.

Olympic Fan
09-24-2016, 07:17 PM
Amazing ... I thought preseason that there was a good chance Duke could be 2-2 at this point ... but I never would have guessed W-L-L-W.

A few notes explain why Duke did today what it couldn't do the last two weeks.

-- Just one turnover ... vs. three takeaways

-- Just one penalty for five yards

-- I don't have the exact number, but I'm pretty sure Duke has more explosives than Notre Dame

-- The offensive line, which had struggled, came of age today -- just one sack in 30-plus passes and 5.5 yards a rush for Duncan and Wilson.

I know this is not the greatest Notre Dame team, but it's still a quality win. As of right now, of the teams remaining on our schedule, I'd say only Louisville is out of our class.

Ah, we came so close to a perfect day ... the Cheats scored with :02 seconds left to beat Pitt in the final seconds.

Still, it's good enough.

DukieInKansas
09-24-2016, 07:19 PM
Notre Dame coach hasn't come into the room for the press conference yet. How long does that usually take?

Never mind - he just came in. Started with congratulations to Duke.

peloton
09-24-2016, 07:20 PM
What really impressed me was how our guys fought hard until the very end. Let's face it, after being down 2 touchdowns to the most storied college football program in history (in their stadium no less), the deficit could have taken the wind out of the sails of a more fragile (forgive the Italian there) team. I realize it's a cliche but the guys never gave up. I think we saw Daniel Jones take "the next step" in his maturation as a college QB today - a win like this has to be huge for his confidence. A big shout out and kudos to AJ Reed! There are so many more players to mention but I'm going to be lazy :p.

DukieInKansas
Amazing ... I thought preseason that there was a good chance Duke could be 2-2 at this point ... but I never would have guessed W-L-L-W.

A few notes explain why Duke did today what it couldn't do the last two weeks.

-- Just one turnover ... vs. three takeaways

-- Just one penalty for five yards

-- I don't have the exact number, but I'm pretty sure Duke has more explosives than Notre Dame

-- The offensive line, which had struggled, came of age today -- just one sack in 30-plus passes and 5.5 yards a rush for Duncan and Wilson.

I know this is not the greatest Notre Dame team, but it's still a quality win. As of right now, of the teams remaining on our schedule, I'd say only Louisville is out of our class.

Ah, we came so close to a perfect day ... the Cheats scored with :02 seconds left to beat Pitt in the final seconds.

Still, it's good enough.

I did not need to hear that last bit of news.

Native
...I'm pretty sure I just read the first chapter of The Legend of Daniel Jones.

That's Daniel Stones to the likes of us.

killerleft
09-24-2016, 07:21 PM
WILSON gets the game ball for the momentum-shifting kick return.
And I'm pretty sure I just read the first chapter of The Legend of Daniel Jones.

Let the Legend begin! Goes without saying that he was superb today. Unless you meant you.

91devil
09-24-2016, 07:22 PM
That was fun.

I liked that Duke repeatedly attacked the middle of the ND defense with the run; thirty-four carries (combined) by Jela Duncan and Shaun Wilson. Also liked that we didn't rely so much on the flanker screen (which, to me, seems easy to defend) , but rather got the ball to T.J. Rahming and Quay Chambers on those quick little slants.

I don't know why ND didn't commit more to the run. I think the softest part of the Duke defense is the line. It seemed like they moved the ball very well with the run, and it could have helped keep their defense off the field in the second half (when Duke had the healthy lead in TOP).

Definitely saw the confidence building throughout. Really happy for the team, and the school. Go Duke! Beat Virginia!

hurleyfor3
09-24-2016, 07:25 PM

My dad, Pitt '59 and a devout Catholic, died a couple weeks ago. Clearly I got him to pull for Duke now.

rsvman
09-24-2016, 07:28 PM
What a great game! In the middle if the third quarter I was sure we were going to lose, but luckily the team didn't call me for my forecast.
Great, gutty win.

Newton_14
09-24-2016, 07:36 PM
Big big win for the program. I feel elated for the team and program, yet gut wrenching for Devon Edwards. Easily my favorite player on this years team.

On the game though, too many big moments to mention but shout out to the coaching staff for NOT going into the prevent defense on ND's last possession. That, as much as anything, won the game for us. They dialed up pressure on just about every snap, relying on our upperclassmen led DB's to not get burned and it worked beautifully. ND had the one big completion on the first play and from there we shut them down! Big decision, great result.

Shout to Reed. Glad he was presented a chippie to get the monkey off his back, and that chippie was his first make, and for the win at Notre Dame. (In 50 years it will be a 49 yarder into the wind in a driving rain storm which will be just fine by me!)

Go Duke!

richardjackson199
09-24-2016, 07:37 PM
Evidently OPK wore the Eat Me Cake Costume. Word on the street is Duke covered the spread. 1 Dish of Extra Crispy Crow please. Never felt so great to be so wrong. This is why I never need to bet $1 on sports.

Daniel Jones - the FUTURE is Now.
Great team win - could not be happier for them! Some of those drives had a Peach Bowl feel to them - all heart.

Pretty cool tweet on ESPN -Duke, Wake Forest, Syracuse and Virginia were all underdogs by a combined 36.5 points. They went 4-0 with a combined 29-point margin of victory. Good day for the ACC, which is 7-0 in non-conference play, pending Louisville's trip to Marshall tonight.

Go Duke!

ChillinDuke
09-24-2016, 07:48 PM
What a win. The Duke contingent came out for this game. Great showing on the road. It was an honor to be here in person and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The ND fans were beyond gracious and humble. Invited to a tailgate by the lady sitting next to me on the plane and we followed through. More than a few ND fans approached me after the game to congratulate us on the win.

Class acts here in South Bend.

- Chillin

norduck
09-24-2016, 07:49 PM
Has any ACC football team ever beat Notre Dame in South Bend other than Duke?

Troublemaker
09-24-2016, 08:12 PM

BC wasn't in the ACC at that point but they had a famous win at #1-ranked Notre Dame in the early 90s when Tom Coughlin was coaching BC.

Not sure if any original ACC team has won there.

ipatent
09-24-2016, 08:25 PM
Class acts here in South Bend.

You'd expect nothing less from them. Their coaching staff is probably going to feel some heat after this, but I think when they look at the tape they'll see Duke made its share of plays. Jones had touch on the long passes and threw a number of completions to receivers who were well covered. One game does not a career make, but I don't think we have to worry about him having the jitters from this point forward. He knows he can play well on the biggest stage.

chrishoke
09-24-2016, 08:32 PM
Best win in the Cut era. The improvement by the oline was amazing. They seriously big-boyed up. Great balanced offense by the Devils.

Indoor66
09-24-2016, 08:34 PM
They are learning how to win.:cool:

chrishoke
09-24-2016, 08:37 PM
By the way, I love D. Edwards. Has there ever been a better representative of Duke football.

Wander
09-24-2016, 08:39 PM

The improvement by the oline was amazing. They seriously big-boyed up.

Notre Dame's pass rush is a flaming pile of trash, and to my eye most of the rushing success was attributable to the RBs themselves, so I'm not sure it's really a sign our offensive line came of age. We'll have to see going forward. But I do feel pretty good about our QB situation in the coming years.

opossum
09-24-2016, 08:45 PM
BC wasn't in the ACC at that point but they had a famous win at #1-ranked Notre Dame in the early 90s when Tom Coughlin was coaching BC.

Not sure if any original ACC team has won there.

Clemson won there in 1979.

If Georgia Tech counts as original, they've won at Notre Dame 3 times (2007, 1959, and 1942). If you count FSU, they won there in 2003 and 1991.

Of the charter members (including Virginia), it looks like only Duke, Wake, UNC-CH and South Carolina have played there. Duke is now 1-3, Wake is 0-2, and UNC-CH is 0-12.

USC is 1-1, but both games were played after they left the ACC.

BullBlue
09-24-2016, 08:47 PM
Not at all suprised by the results today. After all, a football school should be able to beat a basketball school.

CDu
09-24-2016, 08:54 PM
Notre Dame's pass rush is a flaming pile of trash, so I'm not sure it's really a sign our offensive line came of age. We'll have to see going forward. But I do feel pretty good about our QB situation in the coming years.

Yeah, to be fair, the Irish were literally dead last in the nation in sacks (with 0 coming into the game). The Irish are awful defensively.

Still, big win for a freshman QB on the road. Even though Notre Dame isn't very good. This is sort of like our first win at Va Tech a while back. The opponent's talent doesn't really match the name, but a road win is a road win. We were a 20-pt dog I think, so obviously a huge upset.

So happy for the team. I couldn't believe what I was watching. I thought we were toast when Notre Dame took that 4th quarter lead, but so quickly we came back to tie it.

Stunk to see Edwards go down. It looked bad. I hope it isn't a torn ACL, but I am not optimistic.

Still, can't end on a low note after such an exciting, potentially season-changing win. GO DUKE!

nyesq83
09-24-2016, 08:55 PM
By the way, I love D. Edwards. Has there ever been a better representative of Duke football.

Tied with Ross Cockrell?

Tripping William
09-24-2016, 09:04 PM
Rudy (perhaps secretly) wanted to play for Duke .....

richmclean
09-24-2016, 09:09 PM
As crappy as Duke fans in the stadium and the Duke team mostly played last week at the Directional School both were outstanding today. The Duke fans were electric and represented big time. Kudos all around to the team but the Oline gets extra after the last two weeks. At ND we had 200 yds rushing. Yes kudos to the RBs but there were surges by the OL that got the extra yds that kept drives going. Just a great fn day!

OZ
09-24-2016, 09:22 PM
An incredible confidence booster for the team; but in particular for Jones and Reed. Reed must feel a ton removed from his shoulders.
BTW, where has Nash been? With his height and speed, he could be a great target for Jones.

Pghdukie
09-24-2016, 09:27 PM

Notre Dame and Pitt games go all the way back to 1909. ND leads the all-time series 48-21-1. Johnny Lujack and Leon Hart, both Heisman Trophy winners, we're from the Pittsburgh area. As we're Hanratty, Clements, and Joe Montana

Reilly
09-24-2016, 09:39 PM
Per the police scanner here in Indiana, and some PayPal messages I've been getting, devildeac wasn't joking about that Pantone 287 Touchdown Jesus.

Ima Facultiwyfe
09-24-2016, 09:39 PM
C'MON,, Duke fans! Get yer buns into the seats at beautiful Wallace Wade Stadium! This team deserves a full arena!!!! And I don't mean one filled with the opponent's colors!!!

Love, Ima

hallcity
09-24-2016, 09:49 PM

If Georgia Tech counts as original, they've won at Notre Dame 3 times (2007, 1959, and 1942). If you count FSU, they won there in 2003 and 1991.

Of the charter members (including Virginia), it looks like only Duke, Wake, UNC-CH and South Carolina have played there. Duke is now 1-3, Wake is 0-2, and UNC-CH is 0-12.

I believe Louisville won there in 2014.

Devilsforlife
09-24-2016, 09:57 PM
What a huge win for the program. Easily the biggest of Cut's tenure. Just a scintillating performance today. We're now 2-2, and a bowl game definitely feels much more realistic than it did last week.

Newton_14
09-24-2016, 10:11 PM

unc-CHeat is 0-12 huh? Sorry, that sounded so good I just had to repeat it. Many thanks for that stat! Sporks a comin!

53n206
09-24-2016, 10:24 PM

I believe Ga. Tech is an original ACC member.

hallcity
09-24-2016, 10:26 PM

Uh, no. They only became an ACC member after South Carolina left.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-24-2016, 10:57 PM
Yup, 21 is my lucky number! How sweet it is! LGD GTHc!

DU82
09-24-2016, 11:00 PM

richmclean
09-24-2016, 11:06 PM
NNNNnaaaaahhhhhh... Easy Wiki says:

Seven universities in the South Atlantic States were charter members of the ACC: Clemson, Duke, Maryland, North Carolina, North Carolina State, South Carolina, and Wake Forest. On December 4, 1953, officials convened in Greensboro, North Carolina, and admitted Virginia, a SoCon charter member that had been independent since 1937, into the conference. In 1971, South Carolina left the ACC to become an independent. The ACC operated with seven members until the addition of Georgia Tech from the Metro Conference on April 3, 1978.

BandAlum83
09-24-2016, 11:34 PM

Young'un

opossum
09-24-2016, 11:48 PM
unc-CHeat is 0-12 huh? Sorry, that sounded so good I just had to repeat it. Many thanks for that stat! Sporks a comin!

I wholeheartedly agree that it bears repeating. So I'll do it again.

UNC-CHeat lost at Notre Dame in 2014, 2006, 1971, 1966, 1965, 1962, 1959, 1958, 1956, 1954, 1952 and 1950. The UNC-CHeats have never won a single game there.

loran16
09-25-2016, 12:48 AM
What a freaking game. So many players and units stepped up. Particularly the offense. Some quick analysis there:

Offensive Line - Notre Dame came into the season with no sacks, but had played some tough opponents and had the talent to penetrate the OLine, which had been porous this whole season. They got only one sack of Jones and Jones had much more time than he'd had in any previous game to find his throws. Not that Jones took that long to throw most times anyhow. And the offensive line also aided the running game a good bit as well, opening up a bunch of holes for Jela and Wilson, who took it from there. Oh and 0 penalties (the false start penalty was taken by a wide receiver on the punt team). That is HUGE.

Running Backs - Duncan has been great all year and has continued. Shaun Wilson had been terrible prior to this game, but eeked out a great 5 yards per carry in this one in addition to his kickoff return. If he can continue that going forward, it'll take a lot of pressure off of Jela.

Wide Receivers - Nash and Rahming played great, as expected but the big surprise was Quay Chambers, the ex-QB, who caught 5 passes for 55 yards and a TD. Chambers had only been TARGETTED three times prior to this game - he got six targets here and hauled in five of them. If he can repeat this performance it'll help Jones quite a bit.

Quarterback - Jones played easily his best game, taking more shots downfield than he had any time previously, and keeping screens to a minimum. Excellent performance.

Virginia had their own big win this week against Central Michigan, but if Duke plays this way against them next week, they should get back to over .500 pretty easily. Great stuff guys.

Bob Green
09-25-2016, 07:20 AM
The 25 yard touchdown pass to Quay Chambers was a beautifully designed play set-up by previous quick passes to the outside.

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=5643063

Rahming is split wide with Chambers in the slot. Rahming runs a slant to the center of the field, while Wilson flairs out toward the sideline. As Notre Dame's defense rotates, Chambers acts as if he is a blocker before wheeling up the sideline. Jones pump fakes to Wilson then throws downfield to Chambers for the touchdown.

Chambers is open because the defense expected the ball to go to Wilson. The fake Bubble Screen to the running back set-up the Wheel Route to the slot receiver.

Bob Green
09-25-2016, 07:42 AM
The 64 yard touchdown pass to Anthony Nash appears to be a Run-Pass Option play.

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&id=5643049

Nash is split wide to the boundary (short side of the field). Duke runs what appears to the defense to be an inside read option play. Jones fakes to Wilson keeping the ball while reading the cornerback. When the cornerback crashes toward Jones, Nash heads up field and Jones throws the short pass to Nash who beats the safety with his speed.

Nash sells the quarterback run by taking a step inside to fake a block before moving up the sideline.

Indoor66
09-25-2016, 07:47 AM

It needed still more emphasis. :D:cool:

mitch84
09-25-2016, 08:12 AM
I posted this on their fan website this morning; Having been a Duke fan since 1981, I have, like you all, experienced not so nice comments directed at me due to the t-shirt I was wearing. I'm 54, and I have never seen such a classy fan base in general. I hope we all will afford them the same graciousness in Durham that we all experienced in South Bend yesterday.

What I posted:
[I]I had the opportunity to be at the game yesterday. It is my second visit to your storied campus and stadium. The first time was the last time the two teams played, when we lost to ND.

On both occasions, I witnessed, repeatedly, unbelievable grace and kindness, and complete class, win or lose. Yesterday, after what must have been a horrific loss (this is not to rub in, it’s just to note that as a sports fan, in general, when you care about your team that much, it hurts to lose a game like that when you are expected to win), you all were so fantastic to us, the "enemy." I cannot tell you how many times complete strangers wearing Fighting Irish gear offered us food, beer, and just nice conversation, and numerous congratulations. Wow! I mean, WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Clearly, there is outstanding parenting from generation to generation, teaching folks how to do the right thing and to be kind to others.

Consider this writer a complete and total Notre Dame fan (of course, when not playing my Blue Devils). I will wear a Notre Dame shirt, and it will be my complete pleasure to shout vociferously when you all play other ACC teams in both football and hoops, in particular, the dreaded Tar Heels (fans, not as nice and classy on a whole, but there are certainly exceptions to every rule).

While you lost the game yesterday, you won over many of us Duke fans as an extension of the Notre Dame fan base. We were all talking about how great you all are. So, THANK YOU for your hospitality and kindness, and I hope that when y’all come on down to Durham, we are able to extend the same graciousness that you all extended us yesterday.

Go Fighting Irish!!!!!!!!!!

AustinDevil
09-25-2016, 09:28 AM
I posted this on their fan website this morning; Having been a Duke fan since 1981, I have, like you all, experienced not so nice comments directed at me due to the t-shirt I was wearing. I'm 54, and I have never seen such a classy fan base in general. I hope we all will afford them the same graciousness in Durham that we all experienced in South Bend yesterday.

What I posted:
[I]I had the opportunity to be at the game yesterday. It is my second visit to your storied campus and stadium. The first time was the last time the two teams played, when we lost to ND.

On both occasions, I witnessed, repeatedly, unbelievable grace and kindness, and complete class, win or lose. Yesterday, after what must have been a horrific loss (this is not to rub in, it’s just to note that as a sports fan, in general, when you care about your team that much, it hurts to lose a game like that when you are expected to win), you all were so fantastic to us, the "enemy." I cannot tell you how many times complete strangers wearing Fighting Irish gear offered us food, beer, and just nice conversation, and numerous congratulations. Wow! I mean, WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Clearly, there is outstanding parenting from generation to generation, teaching folks how to do the right thing and to be kind to others.

Consider this writer a complete and total Notre Dame fan (of course, when not playing my Blue Devils). I will wear a Notre Dame shirt, and it will be my complete pleasure to shout vociferously when you all play other ACC teams in both football and hoops, in particular, the dreaded Tar Heels (fans, not as nice and classy on a whole, but there are certainly exceptions to every rule).

While you lost the game yesterday, you won over many of us Duke fans as an extension of the Notre Dame fan base. We were all talking about how great you all are. So, THANK YOU for your hospitality and kindness, and I hope that when y’all come on down to Durham, we are able to extend the same graciousness that you all extended us yesterday.

Couldn't agree more--can't count how many times I was told "Welcome to Notre Dame" and even after the game their fans were congratulatory and polite.

OldPhiKap
09-25-2016, 10:44 AM

What I posted:

Couldn't agree more--can't count how many times I was told "Welcome to Notre Dame" and even after the game their fans were congratulatory and polite.

Agree completely. I must have been welcomed -- before, during, and after the game -- several dozen times.

An absolutely great place to see a game, I hope we are half as nice to the visitors as they were to us.

fuse
09-25-2016, 10:45 AM
Simultaneously the greatest, most unlikely and most unprecedented win in Duke football history.

I was definitely in the camp ahead of the game as expecting a loss as I felt we were in worse shape than when Thad Lewis led us in South Bend.

Shaun Wilson's kickoff return was a thing of beauty.

The biggest question moving forward is can we build on this win this season or will we remain "consistently inconsistent"?

Never thought I would see Duke football beat Notre Dame at Notre Dame in my lifetime. I don't have the words for how grateful I am for David Cutcliffe and his staff, and how they have completely transformed the program.

richardjackson199
09-25-2016, 10:45 AM
This article linked on the DBR front page says that DeVon is expected to have severe knee ligament damage (still needing MRI confirmation) and that his Duke career is almost certainly over.

Why is that? I know he is a redshirt senior, but couldn't he get an injury redshirt and play next year?

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article104017341.html

OldPhiKap
09-25-2016, 10:52 AM
My picture from the final drive:

ChillinDuke's spork-worthy photo of Touchdown Jesus and the final scoreboard:

Alas, no pictures of me in the "Eat Me" Cake costume, but we all know that's why we won.

TKG
09-25-2016, 11:05 AM
The Touchdown Jesus and scoreboard shot reminds me of the photos taken of Quotron machines during the market meltdown on October 19, 1987. Some enterprising type might consider selling copies of the scoreboard.

loran16
09-25-2016, 11:26 AM
This article linked on the DBR front page says that DeVon is expected to have severe knee ligament damage (still needing MRI confirmation) and that his Duke career is almost certainly over.

Why is that? I know he is a redshirt senior, but couldn't he get an injury redshirt and play next year?

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article104017341.html

To get a sixth year of eligibility you need permission from the ncaa. The NCAA will grant those for players who have missed multiple total seasons - Braxton Deaver, Kenny annunike, and Kelby brown for example, or maybe Thomas Sirk to come.

Edwards played four games this year so it's not a total season loss which while I think makes him normally eligible for a medical redshirt had he not previously redshirted , the NCAA is not likely to grant the sixth year.

BandAlum83
09-25-2016, 12:08 PM
Watching some of the game again this morning, a couple things really struck me. We talk about momentum changers, but Shaun Wilson's kickoff return for a TD was really just that:

After the runback, the defense that had been torched twice in a row, made a 3 and out stand
The offense which couldn't get anything going previously, put together an impressive drive with a nice mix of run and pass to tie it up.
The defense then made a nice bend/don't break stand to force a failed FG attempt, and what looked bleak after 6 minutes, was game on at the end of the first quarter.
After the run back, I heard the Duke Band. Do they now go to all road games? how great is that!!?

Before this game I posted something about this being a long shot, not a tossup. A toss up is a game that can swing on one play, that this game would take 2 or 3 key plays. In this case, maybe one play fed a series of plays. Whatever the case, no doubt in my mind that Shaun's runback was the key play in a game full of big plays!

ipatent
09-25-2016, 12:16 PM
It was a big win from a recruiting standpoint, because there are only so many elite recruits who are good students.

Olympic Fan
09-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Just a few observations after re-watching the game and checking out the final box:

-- Jordan Hayes, who replaced Deondre Singleton in the starting lineup, ended up as the team's leading tackler with seven (one for loss). Nice example of our new-found depth in the secondary. Alonzo Saxton, who failed as a freshman corner last year, replaced Edwards at safety and had five tackles and pass breakup. With Singleton back as a starter next week, it will be interesting to see who starts in Edwards' spot -- Saxton or Hayes?

-- Breon Borders had a terrific game. Yes, he was beat on the last Notre Dame TD pass (a great throw and catch) and he dropped an interception, but he also broke up three passes, had five tackles, caused a fumble and recovered a fumble. He's leading the ACC in passes defended by a wide margin.

-- One change in the kicking game. Walk-on Danny Stirt (a backup kicker) replaced Austin Parker as the holder on extra points and the field goal. Don't know if that made any difference, but all six placekicks (five extra points and the field goal) were mechanically perfect.

-- Great offensive balance -- 208 yards rushing; 290 yards passing ... we only dropped below 500 yards total offense when Jones took a knee on the game's final play.

-- Passing distribution was interesting -- no passes to our backs, just two passes to our tight ends (a few more targeted) and 22 completions to our wide receivers. There were still a lot of short passes -- including the short competition from Jones to Nssh that wound up being a 64-yard TD play, but there were also a fair share of intermediate and deep throws. Jones one interception may have been a bad decision -- he went to a guy who was covered -- but he put the ball on the money -- the BD defender just outfought the receiver (Rahming?) for the ball.

-- Three sacks and four quarterback hurries against a team that has had great protection this season. Duke came into the game first in the ACC and third in the nation in sacks. We now have 17 sacks in four games ... we had 17 sacks in 13 games last season. On the other hand, Notre Dame has had trouble rushing the passer and they did again -- one sack and no hurries on 32 Duke pass attempts.

-- The participation charts aren't always reliable, but it appears the Brandon Boyce played in his first game (I didn't notice him), but that Phillip Carter didn't play. Scott Bracey made the trip, but didn't appear on the participation chart (I didn't see him get in the game). Cut played a lot of people on defense -- but not so many on offense. Freshmen Terrell Lucas, James Hornbuckle and Dylan Singleton all played ... but Koby Quansah is the one freshman who had an impact.

-- Finally, I've said this before, but go back and watch Wilson's KO return for the touchdown. The key block that springs him is delivered by Joe Ajeigbe. He's done that half a dozen times to free Edwards in the past. People wonder why Cut never put Edwards and Wilson deep together -- the point is that the off deep back is an important blocker and Ajeigbe is as good a lead blocker as Edwards (or Wilson) as a returners. In fact, I think he's a big reason they are such returners.

-- Well, on to Virginia ... I would hope after the win at Notre Dame that Duke fans -- at least the students -- would give this team the respect it earned Saturday. I thought a bowl bid was gone after the Northwestern loss, but the Notre Dame win puts it back on the table -- still going to be a tough battle to get four more wins, but now it's possible.

fidel
09-25-2016, 01:07 PM
What a fun game to be at. Great stadium, even with the construction, great fans. Missed having a replay screen tho. The Duke turnout was incredible. A great away crowd.

It was a game of two halves having mirror images. ND came out on all cylinders and really ate up the Duke defense. It was 14-0 just seven minutes in, and it looked like ND fans were going to have a great afternoon.

The ensuing kickoff return for 7 quickly changed that, and suddenly game on. Great D, Great O, and we finish the half up 28-21.

Second half started out with both teams not doing much, then ND starts hitting all cylinders again, and we are down 35-28 midway through 4th. Duke again turns it on, a TD to tie it, a turnover taken to get the FG, and a defensive stand to win it.

I saw this in the Duke area:

Again, what fun.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-25-2016, 01:22 PM
-- Well, on to Virginia ... I would hope after the win at Notre Dame that Duke fans -- at least the students -- would give this team the respect it earned Saturday. I thought a bowl bid was gone after the Northwestern loss, but the Notre Dame win puts it back on the table -- still going to be a tough battle to get four more wins, but now it's possible.

I don't know what the forecast in Durham is, but the 7 days out projects to be 15 degrees cooler in Asheville next weekend. Ought to be a boost for attendance.

jimsumner
09-25-2016, 02:06 PM
Just a few observations after re-watching the game and checking out the final box:

-- Jordan Hayes, who replaced Deondre Singleton in the starting lineup, ended up as the team's leading tackler with seven (one for loss). Nice example of our new-found depth in the secondary. Alonzo Saxton, who failed as a freshman corner last year, replaced Edwards at safety and had five tackles and pass breakup. With Singleton back as a starter next week, it will be interesting to see who starts in Edwards' spot -- Saxton or Hayes?

-- Breon Borders had a terrific game. Yes, he was beat on the last Notre Dame TD pass (a great throw and catch) and he dropped an interception, but he also broke up three passes, had five tackles, caused a fumble and recovered a fumble. He's leading the ACC in passes defended by a wide margin.

-- One change in the kicking game. Walk-on Danny Stirt (a backup kicker) replaced Austin Parker as the holder on extra points and the field goal. Don't know if that made any difference, but all six placekicks (five extra points and the field goal) were mechanically perfect.

-- Great offensive balance -- 208 yards rushing; 290 yards passing ... we only dropped below 500 yards total offense when Jones took a knee on the game's final play.

-- Passing distribution was interesting -- no passes to our backs, just two passes to our tight ends (a few more targeted) and 22 completions to our wide receivers. There were still a lot of short passes -- including the short competition from Jones to Nssh that wound up being a 64-yard TD play, but there were also a fair share of intermediate and deep throws. Jones one interception may have been a bad decision -- he went to a guy who was covered -- but he put the ball on the money -- the BD defender just outfought the receiver (Rahming?) for the ball.

-- Three sacks and four quarterback hurries against a team that has had great protection this season. Duke came into the game first in the ACC and third in the nation in sacks. We now have 17 sacks in four games ... we had 17 sacks in 13 games last season. On the other hand, Notre Dame has had trouble rushing the passer and they did again -- one sack and no hurries on 32 Duke pass attempts.

-- The participation charts aren't always reliable, but it appears the Brandon Boyce played in his first game (I didn't notice him), but that Phillip Carter didn't play. Scott Bracey made the trip, but didn't appear on the participation chart (I didn't see him get in the game). Cut played a lot of people on defense -- but not so many on offense. Freshmen Terrell Lucas, James Hornbuckle and Dylan Singleton all played ... but Koby Quansah is the one freshman who had an impact.

-- Finally, I've said this before, but go back and watch Wilson's KO return for the touchdown. The key block that springs him is delivered by Joe Ajeigbe. He's done that half a dozen times to free Edwards in the past. People wonder why Cut never put Edwards and Wilson deep together -- the point is that the off deep back is an important blocker and Ajeigbe is as good a lead blocker as Edwards (or Wilson) as a returners. In fact, I think he's a big reason they are such returners.

One minor quibble. Saxton was a freshman corner two years ago, along with classmate Muniz. McDuffie was last year's freshman corner.

But the larger point is the depth that Duke has developed in the defensive backfield. Even with Edwards and Deandre Singleton out, Duke was able to find some decent bodies to fill in. When and if Carter gets back in the swing of things, Duke will have another option.

It also makes me feel better about next season. Duke loses Edwards, Borders, Singleton the elder and McCarthy. And replacing Borders is going to be difficult because McDuffie has been erratic at best, Muniz never plays and true freshman Mark Gilbert isn't getting much game time. But Hayes, Singleton the younger, Saxton, Carter and Feamster will give Duke some good options at safety. And there are some true freshmen DBs who are being held out.

When Cut arrived at Duke, one of his top priorities was building quality depth, which had long been a problem at Duke. Duke has made great strides in that area.

PDDuke85
09-25-2016, 02:19 PM
And the Notre Dame DC is unemployed. Duke has arrived.

Bob Green
09-25-2016, 02:26 PM
And the Notre Dame DC is unemployed. Duke has arrived.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/notre-dame-fires-defensive-coordinator-brian-vangorder-after-falling-to-1-3/

Richard Berg
09-25-2016, 02:56 PM
Duncan looked like he may have suffered a concussion on the final drive. Hope he's OK. We don't have anyone else who can run "angry" up the middle.

We played a ton of DL subs, and a few WRs I had not seen since training camp. Chambers became obvious once he scored a TD, but the other deep backups looked good as well.

At CB, subbing was less successful. Fields got the hook after St Brown beat him for the first ND touchdown, but then McDuffie did even worse on the subsequent drive. Fields covered #6 for the rest of the game, and did pretty well. Borders was amazing as usual (how about that breakup where he jumped OVER Hunter from behind?!)

What happened to Giles-Harris? Is he hurt? Bere played ok, but we'll need Joe when we face Army and GT -- he has that unteachable knack to know where the ball is headed.

duke79
09-25-2016, 02:59 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/notre-dame-fires-defensive-coordinator-brian-vangorder-after-falling-to-1-3/

Well.......THAT didn't take long !!

I'm going to write a longer post about the game, but I was going to say that, from ND's perspective, yesterday's loss was the type of loss that causes coaches to lose their job. I guess it has already happened!

duke79
09-25-2016, 03:18 PM
GREAT win by Duke !! Not knowing much about ND's program this year (other than their poor start to the season) but I figured the bookies in LV knew more than I did with their 21-point spread in favor of ND (and I thought this might be optimistic from Duke's standpoint!). When ND scored two easy touchdowns on their first two possession, I was thinking .......this is going to be a long afternoon BUT, thank God, I was wrong. Daniel Jones has ice water in his veins......he is already a mature, tough QB with a very good arm. That kid kept us in the game, no doubt. Even Doug Flutie (a pretty good announcer, I think) praised him over and over during the game for his poise and talent.

Admittedly, this is NOT your father's ND team. I don't know if it's lack or talent or bad coaching, but they're definitely not at their usual level. BUT that should not take anything away from the Duke win. Great, great win for the team, for the coaches and for the program. I have to believe it will help recruiting in the years to come.

I've spent some time today reading the ND athletic boards. LOL, it IS ugly over there! Reminds a little of IC boards when Duke beats them in basketball at home. To say their fans are furious about the loss to Duke would be an understatement. My favorite quote is: "we lost to a walk-on QB from DUKE!!" Another said: "there is not a single player on the Duke team that ND would even recruit". Amazing how many of their fans are calling for Kelly's head and how many are saying what a GREAT coach David Cutcliffe is!

Finally, I think Mike Tireco (sic) and Doug Flutie are a good announcing duo. Mike said several nice things about Duke (the university) during the broadcast. I get the feeling he's a class person. And Doug Flutie had a lot of praise for the comeback of the Duke football program and for the coaching prowess of Coach Cut.

budwom
09-25-2016, 03:19 PM
Well....THAT didn't take long !!

I'm going to write a longer post about the game, but I was going to say that, from ND's perspective, yesterday's loss was the type of loss that causes coaches to lose their job. I guess it has already happened!

Their DC got an explicit vote of confidence after the game from Kelly, who then canned him less than a day later. Tough bidness...I read VanGorder made a million bucks a year...

sagegrouse
09-25-2016, 03:24 PM
Re: Jela

He returned to the game, and was on the field for the lasT running play. Or so I think.

Kindly,
Sage
'As it happened, I was there yesterday -- and also when Duke last beat ND. That was 37-13 in 1962, I believe. We had a lot of longtime Duke fans there yesterday, so I doubt I was the only one at both games'

longtimedevil
09-25-2016, 03:28 PM
I attended the last ND/Duke game and came away with 2 impressions: 1) ND fans are some of the kindest and gracious fans I have ever encountered 2)one day we would be back and the results would be different. Yesterday I proved to my family that 1 & 2 are true. The fans were just as I remembered them, unbelievable! What a great place to enjoy a football game (except for the $50 parking fee). All the testaments from other posters are spot on. They are a great group of people! 38-35 do I need to say more? Boy did our Devils show heart for 60 minutes - great game and a good offensively called game.

Tomorrow is my 24th wedding anniversary and my wife wanted a family trip to the game. So that is exactly what she got!!! We even flew our daughter up from Tuscaloosa for the game so all 4 of us could share the experience. No one left disappointed! Great weekend with my favorite people and my favorite team! Great win Devils! DeVon wishing you all the best!

GTHCGTH!!!

OldPhiKap
09-25-2016, 03:30 PM

He returned to the game, and was on the field for the lasT running play. Or so I think.

Kindly,
Sage
'As it happened, I was there yesterday -- and also when Duke last beat ND. That was 37-13 in 1962, I believe. We had a lot of longtime Duke fans there yesterday, so I doubt I was the only one at both games'

I haven't seen devildeac since he took off streaking on the field after the final gun. Hope he made bail.

(Nice meeting you sage, see you at the bowl and Final Four!)

Isaac Sours
09-25-2016, 03:33 PM
Another said: "there is not a single player on the Duke team that ND would even recruit".

That's pretty disrespectful to Chidi Okonya, Scott Bracey, Brandon Hill, Koby Quanash, Reno Rosene, and Jonathan Lloyd, all of whom were offered by Notre Dame. It's obvious sour grapes from an ignorant ND fan. Hilarious.

Also, I think Notre Dame would kill to have a healthy Devon Edwards, Singleton, or Borders. Maybe even Giles-Harris or Byron Fields. Their defense needs help.

richardjackson199
09-25-2016, 03:34 PM

Kindly,
Sage

That is what I saw too. I didn't see anything that looked like a concussion, and don't think they would have put him right back out there if that was the case. It looked like Jela's ankle got twisted a bit when he was fighting for extra yardage. But they checked him out, and I assume he was ok because he went right back in the game as the sage famous grouse noted.

I also thought I saw Giles-Harris playing out there. He wasn't everywhere like he can be, but I thought he looked solid.

duke79
09-25-2016, 03:37 PM
That's pretty disrespectful to Chidi Okonya, Scott Bracey, Brandon Hill, Koby Quanash, Reno Rosene, and Jonathan Lloyd, all of whom were offered by Notre Dame. It's obvious sour grapes from an ignorant ND fan. Hilarious.

Also, I think Notre Dame would kill to have a healthy Devon Edwards, Singleton, or Borders. Maybe even Giles-Harris or Byron Fields. Their defense needs help.

Yea, it was stupid..........no doubt....but their fans ARE furious about the loss. Frankly, I thought Duke looked more "athletic" than ND on the field, no matter the alleged difference in recruiting talent.

OldPhiKap
09-25-2016, 03:37 PM

To be fair, though, we don't have a player named Equanimeous St. Brown.

richardjackson199
09-25-2016, 05:06 PM
Any update on Edwards MRI? I assume the worst, but am trying to hold onto some glimmer of hope for DeVon that the MRI shows something better than expected.

Bob Green
09-25-2016, 05:15 PM
Any update on Edwards MRI?

Out for the season.

Stephen Wiseman
‏@stevewisemanNC
DeVon Edwards has torn ligaments, per Cutcliffe. ACL and MCL. Out for season.

fuse
09-25-2016, 05:18 PM
Pretty sure the News and Observer leading with the UNC Pitt game instead of Duke's historic win means the end of the N&O in our household.
While I can't really imagine what shifts need to be taken for a traditional media company to compete in a digital world, the N&O fails miserably at making the transition.

arnie
09-25-2016, 05:23 PM
Pretty sure the News and Observer leading with the UNC Pitt game instead of Duke's historic win means the end of the N&O in our household.
While I can't really imagine what shifts need to be taken for a traditional media company to compete in a digital world, the N&O fails miserably at making the transition.

They offer Dan Kane and nothing else. Of course Kane is a big offering for now.

We read for free on iPad - can't imagine actually paying for a subscription.

CameronBlue
09-25-2016, 05:31 PM

How about the DHS? UNC above the fold, Duke below. I can't wait for their next phone solicitation.

BD80
09-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Their DC got an explicit vote of confidence after the game from Kelly, who then canned him less than a day later. Tough bidness...I read VanGorder made a million bucks a year...

$1mil for 3 games? Not too bad.

fuse
09-25-2016, 05:51 PM
How about the DHS? UNC above the fold, Duke below. I can't wait for their next phone solicitation.

Haven't subscribed to the Herald Sun since we left Durham.

Both papers seem to publish stories the night before online ahead of paper delivery and an inconsistent paywall experience.

Better news on twitter nine times out of ten.

jimsumner
09-25-2016, 06:43 PM
The N& O is between Duke beat writers. I have to believe this had something to do with their rather modest coverage of Duke's win.

devildeac
09-25-2016, 11:13 PM
Per the police scanner here in Indiana, and some PayPal messages I've been getting, devildeac wasn't joking about that Pantone 287 Touchdown Jesus.

I swear it was somebody else. My wife, younger daughter, her husband and his father confiscated my spray paint. :o

devildeac
09-25-2016, 11:24 PM
I haven't seen devildeac since he took off streaking on the field after the final gun. Hope he made bail.

(Nice meeting you sage, see you at the bowl and Final Four!)

Back in Raleigh tonight. Fully clothed and without any police record. :o

I'm pretty tired after 3 hours on the road last night after the game and 9.5 hours today. More tomorrow or Tuesday. What a great, great experience.

OldPhiKap
09-25-2016, 11:36 PM
Back in Raleigh tonight. Fully clothed and without any police record. :o

I'm pretty tired after 3 hours on the road last night after the game and 9.5 hours today. More tomorrow or Tuesday. What a great, great experience.

Just walked in the door m'self, after flight delay in Charlotte.

Gonna be a fun day at work tomorrow. Except for all the droopy Dawgs.

Olympic Fan
09-26-2016, 12:28 AM
BTW, I meant to post this earlier ... thanks to all the Duke fans that were there Saturday. I know you were outnumbered by more than 80-1, but you made yourself heard.

Late in the game, with the score tied 35-all and Notre Dame backed up close to its own goal, you could hear on the TV the chant, "Let's go Duke" very distinctly -- one of the TV guys mentioned it and explained that the action was close to the corner where most of the Duke fans were situated.

I swear when I heard that chant, it sent chills down my spine ... great job, people!

richardjackson199
09-26-2016, 01:08 AM
BTW, I meant to post this earlier ... thanks to all the Duke fans that were there Saturday. I know you were outnumbered by more than 80-1, but you made yourself heard.

Late in the game, with the score tied 35-all and Notre Dame backed up close to its own goal, you could hear on the TV the chant, "Let's go Duke" very distinctly -- one of the TV guys mentioned it and explained that the action was close to the corner where most of the Duke fans were situated.

I swear when I heard that chant, it sent chills down my spine ... great job, people!

You could hear the chant clearly and loud. Mike Tirico said something like "It sounds like Cameron Indoor Stadium in here with the Duke fans chanting."

Priceless.

OldPhiKap
09-26-2016, 07:25 AM
My favorite part was the "air push-ups" after every score -- not sure if that was on TV or not.

budwom
09-26-2016, 08:27 AM
I still feel bad about Durham Mourning Harold. He will not be forgotten.

Indoor66
09-26-2016, 08:42 AM
Anytime you beat ND in South Bend it is a big deal.

Stray Gator
09-26-2016, 09:27 AM
I intended to post this after we arrived home from the latest successful DukeGang road trip last night, but just wanted to say that it was a real pleasure meeting OPK and seeing sage and devildeac again, and I was delighted to encounter no less than four old friends from the Class of '70 at the game. As others have observed, the weather was splendid (although I'm sporting a fairly intense sunburn on the left side of my face), and the Notre Dame fans were extraordinarily hospitable and gracious, even after what must have been a bitterly disappointing loss. I was enormously proud of our crew of fans seated together in the Duke corner cheering so enthusiastically and in unison (the residual benefit of practice in Cameron, no doubt) to make ourselves heard amid 75,000 or so of the Irish persuasion.

If you are a college football fan who hasn't yet had the opportunity to attend a home game at South Bend, be sure to put it on your priority list. Having the good fortune to witness our Blue Devils trade jabs with the Irish for four quarters and emerge with a hard-earned victory under the gaze of Touchdown Jesus made an already memorable experience more special and emotional than I am capable of describing. Our thanks go out to the players and coaches and staff members of the Duke football program who worked so hard to provide us such a fabulous experience and proud moment.

devildeac
09-26-2016, 10:40 AM

You could hear the chant clearly and loud. Mike Tirico said something like "It sounds like Cameron Indoor Stadium in here with the Duke fans chanting."

Priceless.

Five of the assorted devildeacs were there and chanting loudly each time any opportunities presented themselves and there were plenty. We're sunburned, tired and hoarse but, reading this here (along with Stray's comments I just noticed) and hearing it on Sunday from a cousin of my wife's makes us greatly appreciate the chance to be there and witness the event/game. Having the team coming over to the Duke sections after the game and wave/yell/celebrate with us was an incredible, chilling and stunning moment.

duke79
09-26-2016, 11:06 AM

Yes, I could distinctly hear the chant "Let's go Duke" on the broadcast. It was truly great to hear and I hope the players heard it too!

OldPhiKap
09-26-2016, 11:21 AM
Yes, I could distinctly hear the chant "Let's go Duke" on the broadcast. It was truly great to hear and I hope the players heard it too!

I'm sure they heard it, the ND fans got kinda quiet for large portions of the game once we got back in it and took the lead. Some boo birds at half. "Fire VanGorder" chants from their student section at some point. . . .

budwom
09-26-2016, 11:45 AM
I'm sure they heard it, the ND fans got kinda quiet for large portions of the game once we got back in it and took the lead. Some boo birds at half. "Fire VanGorder" chants from their student section at some point. . . .

Evidently the Fire VanGorder chants were loud enough to be effective!

johnb
09-26-2016, 12:33 PM
I attended the last ND/Duke game and came away with 2 impressions: 1) ND fans are some of the kindest and gracious fans I have ever encountered 2)one day we would be back and the results would be different. Yesterday I proved to my family that 1 & 2 are true. The fans were just as I remembered them, unbelievable! What a great place to enjoy a football game (except for the $50 parking fee). All the testaments from other posters are spot on. They are a great group of people! 38-35 do I need to say more? Boy did our Devils show heart for 60 minutes - great game and a good offensively called game.

Tomorrow is my 24th wedding anniversary and my wife wanted a family trip to the game. So that is exactly what she got!!! We even flew our daughter up from Tuscaloosa for the game so all 4 of us could share the experience. No one left disappointed! Great weekend with my favorite people and my favorite team! Great win Devils! DeVon wishing you all the best!

GTHCGTH!!!

It sounds like the ND fans are gracious.

As for Brian Kelly, the ND Head Coach, here's what he said during his post-game press conference: “coaching had nothing to do with the outcome today,” and instead pointed to a lack of “fun, enjoyment, and energy” on the part of the players. http://thespun.com/independents/notre-dame/brian-kelly-loss-duke-notre-dame

Of course, he then fired his DC.

If your son were getting recruited by Duke and ND, is there any question which coach you'd rather learn from?

AustinDevil
09-26-2016, 12:40 PM
After the run back, I heard the Duke Band. Do they now go to all road games? how great is that!!?

No, they don't. They don't even go to some of the farther-away conference games. But if we want to be a real program, they should be at every game. It helped the team* that they were there yesterday, so hopefully the athletic department realizes that.

* It didn't help the Duke fans, though. Note to band director:** Next time, when you are placed on field level in front of the Duke section, just once, one time, TURN AROUND and play something that the Duke fans can hear. K? Thx!

** One other bit of ND graciousness--inviting the Duke director to lead the ND band in the national anthem.

sagegrouse
09-26-2016, 12:47 PM
No, they don't. They don't even go to some of the farther-away conference games. But if we want to be a real program, they should be at every game. It helped the team* that they were there yesterday, so hopefully the athletic department realizes that.

* It didn't help the Duke fans, though. Note to band director:** Next time, when you are placed on field level in front of the Duke section, just once, one time, TURN AROUND and play something that the Duke fans can hear. K? Thx!

** One other bit of ND graciousness--inviting the Duke director to lead the ND band in the national anthem.

Good point. But I had a different question. Notre Dame has 8,500 undergraduates (2,000 more than Duke). The ND band had about 350 band members on the field. How the heck is that possible? The Duke band is about 80, based on the traveling band on Saturday. Maybe we should have more -- but 350 band members for a private university?

devildeac
09-26-2016, 01:01 PM
Good point. But I had a different question. Notre Dame has 8,500 undergraduates (2,000 more than Duke). The ND band had about 350 band members on the field. How the heck is that possible? The Duke band is about 80, based on the traveling band on Saturday. Maybe we should have more -- but 350 band members for a private university?

Yea, and Northwestern has 7000-7500 undergrads and they filled 4 sections of their ~45K stadium and stayed the entire game.

And, ND has the # of undergrads Sage quotes above, filled 4 sections of an 80K seat stadium and they stayed the whole game.

But, don't get me started...

budwom
09-26-2016, 01:24 PM
It sounds like the ND fans are gracious.

As for Brian Kelly, the ND Head Coach, here's what he said during his post-game press conference: “coaching had nothing to do with the outcome today,” and instead pointed to a lack of “fun, enjoyment, and energy” on the part of the players. http://thespun.com/independents/notre-dame/brian-kelly-loss-duke-notre-dame

Of course, he then fired his DC.

If your son were getting recruited by Duke and ND, is there any question which coach you'd rather learn from?

Added bonus is that the fired DC's son is on the ND team. Awkward?

OldPhiKap
09-26-2016, 01:33 PM

"Well, there was this time at band camp . . . .

{snip}

yada yada yada, I ended up at Notre Dame."

Troublemaker
09-26-2016, 02:39 PM
GREAT win by Duke !! Not knowing much about ND's program this year (other than their poor start to the season) but I figured the bookies in LV knew more than I did with their 21-point spread in favor of ND (and I thought this might be optimistic from Duke's standpoint!).

Oh, they knew something. The sites that track betting percentages had ND receiving 75-80% of the bets, but the line was never adjusted upwards. In fact, there was actually reverse line movement in that sometimes the line was lowered to 19.5 / 20 / 20.5 to encourage more ND action.

For those interested in that kind of stuff, ESPN now has a page where you can track betting percentages: http://www.espn.com/espn/chalk/liveOdds . Currently, re: Duke vs UVA, 58% of the bets are on Duke to cover the spread.

(Note, though, that percentage of bets made on a team does NOT have to equal percentage of money on a team. What the sportsbooks probably knew re: Duke at ND was that their sharp bettors were taking Duke, and the sharps make bigger bets than the average Joe Q. Public bettor. When the books know that the sharps are on one side [Duke] and the public is on the other side [ND], they are fine encouraging more public bets.)

loran16
09-26-2016, 02:56 PM

Not sure about northwestern which is talked about also below, but suspect it has to do with how the schools think of themselves. For Duke, we're a basketball school and DUMB members most want to get into the bball game. So our size is perfect for that (and even then might be slightly large).

Notre dame is a football school in theory so the band has to be that big. So it aims to be that big and draws students as such.

sagegrouse
09-26-2016, 03:05 PM
Yea, and Northwestern has 7000-7500 undergrads and they filled 4 sections of their ~45K stadium and stayed the entire game.

And, ND has the # of undergrads Sage quotes above, filled 4 sections of an 80K seat stadium and they stayed the whole game.

But, don't get me started...

DD, we know how to get you started. The problem is finding the "OFF" switch. :)

Stray Gator
09-26-2016, 03:15 PM
I'm attaching a photo I took at the end of the game -- hope it comes through okay -- that shows the scoreboard, Touchdown Jesus, and the Golden Dome (partially obscured by a floodlight panel); if you can enlarge it, you'll see Coach Cut walking out to greet Coach Kelly at midfield and some of the players shaking hands. I wish that all of you could have been there to enjoy sharing in the experience.

richardjackson199
09-26-2016, 03:15 PM
Oh, they knew something. The sites that track betting percentages had ND receiving 75-80% of the bets, but the line was never adjusted upwards. In fact, there was actually reverse line movement in that sometimes the line was lowered to 19.5 / 20 / 20.5 to encourage more ND action.

For those interested in that kind of stuff, ESPN now has a page where you can track betting percentages: http://www.espn.com/espn/chalk/liveOdds . Currently, re: Duke vs UVA, 58% of the bets are on Duke to cover the spread.

(Note, though, that percentage of bets made on a team does NOT have to equal percentage of money on a team. What the sportsbooks probably knew re: Duke at ND was that their sharp bettors were taking Duke, and the sharps make bigger bets than the average Joe Q. Public bettor. When the books know that the sharps are on one side [Duke] and the public is on the other side [ND], they are fine encouraging more public bets.)

Just Wow. I've heard Vegas has "trap bets" where Joe Q Public Bettor thinks they know something and can make some easy money. Like Vegas set Golden State's win total next year at 66.5 with Kevin Durant. Colin Cowherd was screaming on his show "Take the Under! Vegas is smarter than you. It's a trap."

I assumed when the Duke Notre Dame line went from 21 down to 19 that meant more bets were coming in for Duke. Could it have just meant more money was coming for Duke from the Wiseguys, even though 75-80% of bets were coming in for Notre Dame from the public?

Against Northwestern, Duke was penalized 7 times for 62 yards. Against Notre Dame we were penalized once for 5 yards, I think on a special teams play. Notre Dame was penalized only twice for 20 yards.

I don't know what Vegas and the wiseguys know that Joe Q bettor doesn't know. But it seems weird that they know Notre Dame's defense would give up that many points to a Duke team who scored 13 on Northwestern and 14 on Wake Forest.

Who knows what the wiseguys and Vegas knew? My conclusion from this is please don't bet on Duke to cover a winning spread if the higher percentage of Joe Q public bettors are betting that way. Go bet on UNC to cover. Then if Vegas and the wiseguys take your money, but UNC loses, it was money well spent.

devildeac
09-26-2016, 03:16 PM
DD, we know how to get you started. The problem is finding the "OFF" switch. :)

LOL. I've learned not to belabor points (or minutes per game :o ) here so I'll let the above be my only comment/reference to the matter. However, if you come to one of our tailgates sometime this year and bring some brews...

devildeac
09-26-2016, 03:18 PM
I'm attaching a photo I took at the end of the game -- hope it comes through okay -- that shows the scoreboard, Touchdown Jesus, and the Golden Dome (partially obscured by a floodlight panel); if you can enlarge it, you'll see Coach Cut walking out to greet Coach Kelly at midfield and some of the players shaking hands. I wish that all of you could have been there to enjoy sharing in the experience.

And, as I texted OPK after the game, Touchdown Jesus is merely signaling that the FG with less than 90 seconds remaining was indeed good. ;)

PackMan97
09-26-2016, 03:33 PM
As an NC State fan, I'd like to extend my congratulations...and I have just one question...

When is the parade?

;)

English
09-26-2016, 03:38 PM
I don't know what Vegas and the wiseguys know that Joe Q bettor doesn't know. But it seems weird that they know Notre Dame's defense would give up that many points to a Duke team who scored 13 on Northwestern and 14 on Wake Forest.

I had an exchange going with a Golden Domer buddy during the game and he was pretty shocked at my Duke pessimism going into the matchup. He explicitly told me that I had more faith in ND than the great majority of their fanbase. I think he mistook a real skepticism that Duke football could compete in a rebuilding year for faith in their squad.

Anyway, it didn't take a sharp to know that Notre Dame's defense has been a sewer grate this season so far, coming in with zero sacks and giving away points like candy on Halloween. My buddy told me he expected the DCoordinator to be fired if the game was even close, and hey, here we are. The two teams almost hit the OVER by halftime (O/U 60.5, halftime score 28-21). That was reached comfortably in the third qtr. It was beautiful to see Duke take full advantage where the men struggled for the previous two weeks.

I'll remember this one for a long time. Not coincidentally, the in-game exchange I had going was awfully quiet for the latter 2/3 of game action.

richardjackson199
09-26-2016, 03:44 PM

For another example of a possible Vegas trap bet - yesterday the Arizona Cardinals were only a 4 point favorite over the Buffalo Bills. The Bills entered the game 0-2 and had looked atrocious on both sides of the ball in those 2 losses. Rex had fired their offensive coordinator. Arizona is well-coached. The Cardinals by contrast were a missed field goal away from beating the Patriots and entering that Bills game 2-0. The Cardinals had just blown out Tampa Bay and were being generally regarded as a super bowl contender. That line opened Arizona -6.5 and dropped to Arizona -4. I'm guessing some Joe Q Publics bet on Arizona only giving up 4 points.

Buffalo won 33-18. Coincidence maybe. But curious.

I don't really understand this stuff like Troublemaker, but it smells fishy. I don't know how much money gets bet on football, but I imagine it's quite a bit.

Bob Green
09-26-2016, 04:51 PM
Top 5 Plays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwC3mTZCgUY&feature=youtu.be

Three minutes and 43 seconds of joy!

5. Quay Chambers 25 yard touchdown reception.
4. Defense forces three turnovers.
3. Anthony Nash 64 yard touchdown reception.
2. A.J. Reed 18 yard game winning FG.
1. Shaun Wilson 96 yard kick-off return for a TD.

devildeac
09-26-2016, 05:07 PM
Top 5 Plays:

I can't believe you listed all them and spoiled the fun for the rest of us :p .

(kidding, kidding)

Thanks.

ipatent
09-26-2016, 05:22 PM

Unless there was outright manipulation, they would have had to had inside information that the ND defense was in disarray, or that Jones was looking very good in recent practices. The ND pass rush was pretty feeble. Were a few of the starters hurting?

richardjackson199
09-26-2016, 05:54 PM
Unless there was outright manipulation, they would have had to had inside information that the ND defense was in disarray, or that Jones was looking very good in recent practices. The ND pass rush was pretty feeble. Were a few of the starters hurting?

Jones certainly looked great against Notre Dame, especially compared to his previous 2 games. Cut did mention he had a great week of practice, so maybe that was it. I have heard lots of blame for Notre Dame's poor pass rush and defense. That is fair, but Jones was getting rid of the ball so quickly (like in 1.5 seconds usually I believe) that I'm not sure a better pass rush would have mattered. Their Defensive Coordinator was also trying to give us different looks for coverage, but that didn't matter much either.

If I were Notre Dame, I would put more of the blame on their offense. They had several quality receivers who looked like they could torch us at will (as seen on a few of their drives). After the first 2 scores, they seemed more stubbornly intent on trying to establish their run game. This burned some clock, stalled some drives, and worked to our advantage. And when they did throw, why did Kizer keep throwing to Borders' man? Borders is tied for first in the FBS in interceptions, and he could have easily had another one on Kizer that he dropped. Why were they kicking off to DeVon Edwards and Shaun Wilson? Did they even scout us? Their offense also made some very costly turnovers on their end of the field. That ended up being the difference. I don't know how anyone could have predicted us winning the turnover battle after the turnover problems we had in the 3 previous games. Also, Kizer could have probably scrambled for some first downs, but he seemed to choke under pressure late in the game.

Their defense did stop us on a couple big fourth and ones. They also had some nice coverage on Rahming deep and came up with an interception. Their defense gave up some costly big plays, but Duke ran some beautiful misdirection offensive sets on those plays. I think their defense would have been smarter to load up more and stop our run. We finally got some nice rushing yards from Duncan and Wilson.

Our young team really played well, minimized mistakes, and took full advantage of their opportunity. They picked a good day to do it!

ChillinDuke
09-26-2016, 06:21 PM
For another example of a possible Vegas trap bet - yesterday the Arizona Cardinals were only a 4 point favorite over the Buffalo Bills. The Bills entered the game 0-2 and had looked atrocious on both sides of the ball in those 2 losses. Rex had fired their offensive coordinator. Arizona is well-coached. The Cardinals by contrast were a missed field goal away from beating the Patriots and entering that Bills game 2-0. The Cardinals had just blown out Tampa Bay and were being generally regarded as a super bowl contender. That line opened Arizona -6.5 and dropped to Arizona -4. I'm guessing some Joe Q Publics bet on Arizona only giving up 4 points.

Buffalo won 33-18. Coincidence maybe. But curious.

I don't really understand this stuff like Troublemaker, but it smells fishy. I don't know how much money gets bet on football, but I imagine it's quite a bit.

One of the major biases that contributes to these sorts of things is recency bias. People tend to put too much stock in the most recent occurrences and overestimate the likelihood that these recent occurrences will continue. Said differently, people tend to underestimate the chances that a team will play differently (sometimes very differently) from one game to another. And Vegas knows this. They know that John Q saw the Cards-Pats game. They know that John Q saw the Tampa Bay blowout. And they know that John Q will overestimate the likelihood that the Cards will play that way again.

But this is DBR, so come basketball season in particular, you'll experience this phenomenon firsthand.

- Chillin

Newton_14
09-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Top 5 Plays:

Thanks Bob! That was a really great video! Loved it! On a side note, every time I watch the replay of Shaun's TD Runback, I am still amazed at the speed of Number 27 of Notre Dame. Watching him come into the picture having run from clear on the other side of the field I'm like wow! I am very glad he was not on the same side of the field. Shaun is extremely fast, but not sure #27 doesn't run him down from behind had he been on the same side of the field.

That said, equally amazing was Shaun side stepping the last guy who had a chance at him, almost coming to a complete stop, then accelerating back to full speed, leaving other guys that were running full speed with no stopping is super impressive. He looked like a sports car leaving the line in a drag race against a Humvee! A kick returner almost never takes it to the house when they have to check up like he did to avoid a tackle. His ability to stop and then accelerate back to full speed that quickly is pretty darn special.

OldPhiKap
09-27-2016, 09:37 PM
Watching the broadcast now for the first time. Liking Tirico and Flute.

westwall
09-27-2016, 10:35 PM
Watching the broadcast now for the first time. Liking Tirico ---- .

Tirico is a quality play-by-play broadcaster. Despite being a ND 'leaner' in these NBC telecasts, he took time for props to Duke on several levels, Coach Cut, Duke academics, football and even basketball.

OldPhiKap
09-27-2016, 10:44 PM
Tirico is a quality play-by-play broadcaster. Despite being a ND 'leaner' in these NBC telecasts, he took time for props to Duke on several levels, Coach Cut, Duke academics, football and even basketball.

Agreed. They both expect Dame to win, but are calling it honest.

budwom
09-28-2016, 08:22 AM
one of the best things about rewatching the game multiple times is the excellent production level of the game...all sorts of
replay angles, I guess NBC really throws all it has into those games, much more than we typically see...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-28-2016, 08:31 AM
one of the best things about rewatching the game multiple times is the excellent production level of the game...all sorts of
replay angles, I guess NBC really throws all it has into those games, much more than we typically see...

Better production in NBC for their main event than on The Ocho? How odd.

Just wait until 2020 when Duke signs theor exclusive CBS deal to show all Duke football games at 8pm on Saturdays to a national audience!

wilson
09-28-2016, 09:09 AM
Some bulletin board material for Daniel Jones, courtesy of ESPN's "Bottom 10" (a feature which is a hell of a lot more entertaining now that we are no longer fixtures in said rankings).
Every week, the Bottom 10 features a power conference team that has suffered an ignominious loss of some kind in the #5 spot. This week's #5? Notre Dame, who, according to the rankings, lost to "a 1-2 Duke team with no quarterback." Ouch.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/bottom092616/bottom-10-notre-dame-fighting-irish-eyes-crying

hackysack123
09-28-2016, 09:33 AM
Some bulletin board material for Daniel Jones, courtesy of ESPN's "Bottom 10" (a feature which is a hell of a lot more entertaining now that we are no longer fixtures in said rankings).
Every week, the Bottom 10 features a power conference team that has suffered an ignominious loss of some kind in the #5 spot. This week's #5? Notre Dame, who, according to the rankings, lost to "a 1-2 Duke team with no quarterback." Ouch.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/bottom092616/bottom-10-notre-dame-fighting-irish-eyes-crying

Can someone please get this to Coach Cut or D. Jones before the UVA game this week?!

duke79
09-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Watching the broadcast now for the first time. Liking Tirico and Flute.

Agree with you about Mike Tirico and Doug Flutie. I think they are both very good announcers (in their respective roles) and Mike Tirico had many nice things to say about Duke (both about the resurgence of the football program and the university in general - he mentioned a few times what a great academic school it is!).

jimsumner
09-28-2016, 12:09 PM

There are steps in building and sustaining a top program.

One step is going on the road and beating a recognized heavyweight.

The step after that is going on the road and beating a recognized heavyweight without the recognized heavyweight responding as if the Titanic just hit an iceberg.

OldPhiKap
09-28-2016, 09:22 PM
Universal showing the game agin right now. Halftime, Devils looking good. Hope we play strong in the second half!!!

OldPhiKap
09-28-2016, 10:16 PM
Crap. We need better 4th and 1 plays.

brevity
09-28-2016, 10:28 PM
Universal showing the game agin right now. Halftime, Devils looking good!

I was watching it on Universal too. Not the last replay of the game this week:

Thursday 9/29, 8-10pm ET on Root Sports Southwest HD (U-Verse channel 1758)
Friday 9/30, 2-5:30am ET on Universal HD (U-Verse channel 1105)
Friday 9/30, 6:30-10am ET on Universal HD

Looks like Root Sports is showing a shorter version.

killerleft
09-28-2016, 11:42 PM
I was watching it on Universal too. Not the last replay of the game this week:

Thursday 9/29, 8-10pm ET on Root Sports Southwest HD (U-Verse channel 1758)
Friday 9/30, 2-5:30am ET on Universal HD (U-Verse channel 1105)
Friday 9/30, 6:30-10am ET on Universal HD

Lindsey Nelson: "We now take you to further action in the 2nd quarter with Duke leading 28-21...".

fidel
09-28-2016, 11:45 PM
Universal showing the game agin right now. Halftime, Devils looking good. Hope we play strong in the second half!!!

i watched the game again today as well.

A good time for a St. Crispins Day speech. Sirk out? Edwards out? Nay, we need no more men, we have more than we need...

Bob Green
09-29-2016, 04:55 AM

Here is the entire game in 27 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa6rjwG4eNI

richardjackson199
09-30-2016, 12:03 PM
Cool piece by DeCock arguing that Notre Dame's loss to Duke moves them closer to joining the ACC in football, basically because now they don't have much to play for.

No news here and nothing groundbreaking. But it's interesting esp for those interested in expansion theories. He calls Notre Dame's current arrangement with the ACC "half-pregnant." He also alludes that Notre Dame may even be able to keep their NBC deal if they join the ACC. That current deal runs through 2025.

He suggests that ACC expansion to include Notre Dame could include Navy as a partner to get to 16. He says Navy is a natural Notre Dame rival and could get ACC back into DC market. Of course Texas would be better if the Big 12 implodes. I prefer ECU if Texas is not an option.

I doubt Notre Dame will join the ACC anytime soon, but I wish they would.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article105134701.html

budwom
09-30-2016, 12:51 PM
I am interested (simply as an observer) in knowing how long NBC will pay megabucks to ND to show their football games. Is the large, traditional
fan base sufficient to carry them through unscintillating seasons? Obviously ND doesn't want to share all that money, but how long will there
be a Comcast/NBC gravy train?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-30-2016, 01:09 PM
I am interested (simply as an observer) in knowing how long NBC will pay megabucks to ND to show their football games. Is the large, traditional
fan base sufficient to carry them through unscintillating seasons? Obviously ND doesn't want to share all that money, but how long will there
be a Comcast/NBC gravy train?

There have been lots of down years since NBC took over; I would guess that it's still making them money.

budwom
09-30-2016, 04:00 PM
There have been lots of down years since NBC took over; I would guess that it's still making them money.

I have no doubt it's still making them money, especially considering the high hopes ND had for this season.
I'm merely wondering what the TV ramifications will be if ND goes into a meaningful decline. I suspect
they'll still merit a future contract, though a less lucrative one.

Isaac Sours
09-30-2016, 08:09 PM
He suggests that ACC expansion to include Notre Dame could include Navy as a partner to get to 16. He says Navy is a natural Notre Dame rival and could get ACC back into DC market. Of course Texas would be better if the Big 12 implodes. I prefer ECU if Texas is not an option.

I doubt Notre Dame will join the ACC anytime soon, but I wish they would.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article105134701.html

I'd rather have ECU than Army or Texas not because of any disrespect to them, but ECU is in the traditional ACC area of the Southeast. Plus, Imagine a wonderful web of Duke/UNC/Wake/State/ECU fun.

Of course ECU isn't nearly as financially lucrative as Texas, but it might make for more heartfelt rivalry. if we keep dragging in schools from all over the place, we're not the ACC anymore.

fuse
10-02-2016, 09:02 PM
Given the magnitude of this victory for the Duke football program, I hope we all find creative ways to keep this thread on the first page.

My contribution?

It was reported no one on Notre Dame was allowed to wear jersey #1 this weekend as the Duke loss knocked Notre Dame off the top spot in all time win percentage. That honor belongs to Michigan football (or did when this story was broken earlier this weekend).