PDA

View Full Version : Quinn Cook gets a chance with the Pelicans

Dukemomof2
09-24-2016, 02:40 PM
The Pelicans have signed Quinn Cook for a tryout for their training camp. Cross your fingers that he catches on there.

The Pelicans are signing unrestricted free agent Quinn Cook for training camp, Justin Verrier of ESPN.com reports (via Twitter). The length and terms of the arrangement are unknown, though it is likely a minimum salary pact that may include a small partial guarantee.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2016/09/pelicans-to-sign-quinn-cook.html

DukieInBrasil
09-24-2016, 04:58 PM
Glad to hear it! I've seen the Pelicans play a couple of times recently since my ladyfriend's father works in NOLA and manages to get Christmas-era game tix for us. Oddly enough, i saw Austin Rivers both times, once withe Pels and once withe Clips. Of course i also got to see JJ too, since he is withe Clips. JJ went OFF, scoring like 15 or so in the 1st quarter.
Quinn's lack of size means he'll have to try to make it as a PG, perhaps combo guard. NOLA's got Jrue Holiday at PG, no way Quinn is taking his spot. Tim Frazier and Norris Cole are 2 other guys on their roster at PG that i've never heard of, according to ESPN, with Frazier making $2million.
It'll be a challenge, but not impossible, for Quinn, but if he plays better in camp than he did in Summer League he might earn a contract.

wsb3
09-25-2016, 07:54 AM
I would love to see him make it. One of my favorite Blue Devils

richardjackson199
09-25-2016, 11:46 AM
Quinn's lack of size means he'll have to try to make it as a PG, perhaps combo guard. NOLA's got Jrue Holiday at PG, no way Quinn is taking his spot. Tim Frazier and Norris Cole are 2 other guys on their roster at PG that i've never heard of, according to ESPN, with Frazier making $2million.
It'll be a challenge, but not impossible, for Quinn, but if he plays better in camp than he did in Summer League he might earn a contract.

As the article DukeMomof2 linked above alludes to, Jrue Holiday is out indefinitely. His wife is Lauren Holiday, who just retired after helping US Women's National Soccer team win World Cup 2015 (she scored a big goal in that game). Lauren retired to start a family with Jrue, and they just delivered a healthy baby girl this weekend - their first child. But sadly, Lauren was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor this summer, which will require surgery in about 6 weeks. There is nothing benign about brain tumor surgery. So Jrue is understandably taking time off to be with his family, and that absence I assume is linked with bringing Quinn Cook on in a limited stint.

It's a great opportunity for Cook to shine, and I hope he impresses and sticks in the NBA. I also wish nothing but the best for the Holidays and hope Lauren has a very successful surgery with zero lasting effects.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/09/24/lauren-holiday-gives-birth-and-will-now-prepare-for-brain-tumor-surgery/

Edouble
09-25-2016, 12:21 PM
Glad to hear it! I've seen the Pelicans play a couple of times recently since my ladyfriend's father works in NOLA and manages to get Christmas-era game tix for us. Oddly enough, i saw Austin Rivers both times, once withe Pels and once withe Clips. Of course i also got to see JJ too, since he is withe Clips. JJ went OFF, scoring like 15 or so in the 1st quarter.

Norris Cole is a pretty well established NBA player. He was a fairly key piece to the Heat's back-to-back championships in 2012-13.

Tim Frazier was the 2015 D-League MVP and ROY. He's a guy that has bounced around between the D-League and the NBA.

JasonEvans
09-25-2016, 01:53 PM
Norris Cole is a pretty well established NBA player. He was a fairly key piece to the Heat's back-to-back championships in 2012-13.

Tim Frazier was the 2015 D-League MVP and ROY. He's a guy that has bounced around between the D-League and the NBA.

Don't forget about Langston Galloway. He plays both PG and SG and would be the most likely choice to be PG until Jrue returns. Plus, the Pelicans drafted Buddy Hield. Their backcourt is really, really full. It is nice for Quin to get some NBA money while in camp and to get a chance for both the Pelicans and other teams to get a chance to see him a bit more, but I think his odds of making the roster are close to zero given the many committed contracts the Pelicans already have.

-Jason "rooting hard for him -- kid is a quality human being" Evans

DukieInBrasil
09-25-2016, 02:15 PM

Ahhh, yes. Norris Cole, i remember him now. I saw on the ESPN site that he had no contract information, so i guess i figured he was like an invitee or something.

Troublemaker
09-30-2016, 04:35 PM
Don't forget about Langston Galloway. He plays both PG and SG and would be the most likely choice to be PG until Jrue returns. Plus, the Pelicans drafted Buddy Hield. Their backcourt is really, really full. It is nice for Quin to get some NBA money while in camp and to get a chance for both the Pelicans and other teams to get a chance to see him a bit more, but I think his odds of making the roster are close to zero given the many committed contracts the Pelicans already have.

If Quinn doesn't make the Pelicans, I'm wondering if there's a chance Cleveland will bring him back. Mo Williams surprised the Cavs by retiring on Monday, and right now one of the favorites for the backup PG spot behind Kyrie is Kay Felder (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2016/09/tyronn_lue_says_cleveland_cava.html), Cleveland's second-rounder this year, #54 overall.

Quinn, of course, was with Cleveland in the preseason last year and played for their D-league affiliate.

Ichabod Drain
09-30-2016, 05:10 PM
If Quinn doesn't make the Pelicans, I'm wondering if there's a chance Cleveland will bring him back. Mo Williams surprised the Cavs by retiring on Monday, and right now one of the favorites for the backup PG spot behind Kyrie is Kay Felder (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2016/09/tyronn_lue_says_cleveland_cava.html), Cleveland's second-rounder this year, #54 overall.

Quinn, of course, was with Cleveland in the preseason last year and played for their D-league affiliate.

Maybe LeBron and Kyrie will put in the good word. They should want to keep three PG's on the roster especially since the backup is a rookie.

awhom111
09-30-2016, 09:54 PM

Both Basketball Insiders and Yahoo agree that Quinn has no guaranteed money, so it is not really "NBA money" for him while he is there. Bobby Marks actually wrote a more detailed explanation of what money he does get earlier this week:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/front-office-insider-the-training-camp-contract-161058008.html

New Orleans already stands at 15 guaranteed contracts and do not get any relief while Holiday is not there or because Evans is injured. There is a chance that they would eat the money on one of the guaranteed guys, particularly Alonzo Gee even though they decided to sign him over the summer. That seems to lead to the possibility of Lance Stephenson, who has a partial guarantee getting the first crack at a roster spot if it opens up. He is probably the player that Quinn will have to prove more valuable than if he has any shot, although both could end up out at the end of camp.

Catching on with another team immediately after getting cut in training camp is pretty difficult, but of course Quinn will at least have the advantage of being on their radar from being in Canton. Right now the Cavaliers have 12 guaranteed contracts, which should stay the same once Mo Williams gets figured out and they sign J.R. Smith. It seems unlikely that they would get rid of anyone with a guarantee, so that leaves them with 8 guys, including our Dahntay, fighting for around 3 spots. They might not choose to use more than the minimum spots to preserve flexibility and because even the small salaries will add up to luxury taxes later. They probably could use a point guard though and that does not really describe any of the guards in camp without guarantees.