PDA

View Full Version : FB: Duke at Notre Dame, Sept. 24, 3:30 pm, NBC

Bob Green
09-21-2016, 04:53 AM
Discuss the game here. Duke is a 21 points underdog.

left_hook_lacey
09-21-2016, 08:00 AM
Discuss the game here. Duke is a 21 points underdog.

Time to shock the world.

sagegrouse
09-21-2016, 08:45 AM
Sage Grouse will be there, as will several others we have been in contact with. Expecting a big game from the Blue Devils. And after all, we have won any time I have gone to Indiana for a Duke game.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2016, 09:03 AM
Sage Grouse will be there, as will several others we have been in contact with. Expecting a big game from the Blue Devils. And after all, we have won any time I have gone to Indiana for a Duke game.

I'm riding the sage one's coattails on this one. This is the week it all falls into place. Dame is 1-2, and the fans will get the grumblies if we come out strong and have a focused first half. Weather should be beautiful for the game -- mid-to-upper 70's -- and the world will indeed be shocked.

LGD!!!

(Of course, I told DaughterPhiKap who will be attending with me that, if we shock the world, we'd want to be there. Her response was -- "isn't that what you said before the Alabama game a few years ago?" Damn kids with their intact long-term memories . . . .)

Reilly
09-21-2016, 08:14 PM
If memory serves, we were only 24 point dogs to Bama, which I thought was way too low. This ND line strikes me as too big. Have any other Cut-coached Duke teams been 20+ point underdogs? Maybe v Clemson or FSU? What was the spread in the ACC Championship Game?

Dev11
09-21-2016, 10:20 PM

I second this entire statement. I've been looking forward to this trip for a while, and I hope the good guys feel a little hungrier this week.

AustinDevil
09-21-2016, 10:38 PM
Can't wait to cheer the Blue Devils on a day after visiting Wrigley for Cubs vs Cards. Two bucket list visits in two days!

fidel
09-22-2016, 07:08 AM
I second this entire statement. I've been looking forward to this trip for a while, and I hope the good guys feel a little hungrier this week.

Also heading to Notre Dame, and first time to see Duke FB in a long time as well. Thanks to the board, I am following almost as closely as bball!

Bringing a crying towel to pass to the nearby Irish! Go Duke!

fidel
09-22-2016, 07:09 AM
Can't wait to cheer the Blue Devils on a day after visiting Wrigley for Cubs vs Cards. Two bucket list visits in two days!

Cubs/Reds the next Friday :)

ipatent
09-22-2016, 09:09 AM
Every few decades, Duke football shocks the world. Remember the win in Knoxville in the '80s with the 100+ yard return?

SirIronDuke
09-22-2016, 11:37 AM
For those of you going to South Bend, you may not realize that GameDay is actually a 36 hour event that starts Friday afternoon with a big Pep Rally, Trumpets Under the Dome where the brass section of the band plays the fight song and the alma mater inside the main building, tours of "the Gug" (football building with a mini museum to Notre Dame football history), stadium tours where you can tour the stadium and locker rooms just like Rudy. For some games there is a Midnight drumline session in front of the Dome.

The weekend continues early on Saturday with 5k Game Day Run Club to tour campus, 6-8 hours of the best tailgates in America, waves of people touring iconic campus landmarks like the Grotto and Golden Dome, people checking out the ND Bookstore, the free Notre Dame Marching Band Concert on the steps of Bond Hall followed by the Drum Circles at the Golden Dome and the band's march through campus to the stadium lead by the Irish Guard in full kilts, the "Player's Walk" several hours before game time as the team files through the throngs on Library Quad in front of "Touchdown Jesus" to go to the locker rooms.

Here is a link that may help you make the most of your bucket list trip to an iconic and historic location -- http://gameday.nd.edu/traditions/

Grab a copy of The Observer (student newspaper, to be found for free in racks in most campus buildings like the Chronicle is) and you will usually get some great student sportswriting and pre-game analysis as well as more info on what is going on around campus.

According to The Observer, 4400 people took the ND Stadium tunnel tour last weekend, 8100 people attended the free pep rally in Purcell Pavillion, 3500 golf cart rides were given to guests Friday and Saturday and 140,000 people were on campus Saturday for a night game against a big regional opponent.

Don't be afraid to wander through the tailgate sections and strike up some conversations. You'll meet people from 5 to 105. The people are usually super-friendly to fans and quite used to having visitors attending as a bucket list trip. They will likely offer you a beer and trash talk a bit for fun. I have had some great discussions that way.

The stadium is in the midst of a huge $500 million construction project called Campus Crossroads where they work all week then repave for each home game, so it will not be in its true full autumn glory, but it's still pretty damn impressive.

The pre-game will usually be quite patriotic and may include a fly-over. There is almost always some alumni group being introduced and honored on the field before the game.

Once the game starts, the Student Section in the NW corner has a set of synchronized cheers that are entertaining and they will be doing overhead "air pushups" by hoisting up kids after every score, one pushup for every ND point scored. The students will mostly be wearing a blue t-shirt called "The Shirt" which for over 25 years has been redesigned and produced anew each season and raises about $150k a season for charity. One of the complaints about this year's shirt with alums is that its color was too much like Duke Blue, so Duke visitors may want to buy one as a souvenir in the bookstore (for a good cause).

The atmosphere for football is different than basketball and without the roof not quite as hothouse intense but those of you used to Cameron will feel at home in this atmosphere dripping with history and pride.

There is always a Mass immediately after the game in the Basilica and a lot of other post-game events, including more tailgating. Walk around to the side door of the Basilica facing the Dome to see the famous "God, Country, Notre Dame" archway. Don't miss the Grotto sometime during your visit.

I hope you all have a great visit to Notre Dame!!!

Good pre-game and game tweets from the vast Notre Dame football ecosystem. There are dozens of websites and podcasts but these are a good crossection - follow @gamedayND and @WatchND and @FightingIrish and @mikevorel and @NDJimSmall and @angdicarlowndu

Former ND Assistant Cutcliffe returns to ND -- http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092116aad.html

Campus Map -- https://map.nd.edu

Trumpets under the Dome on YouTube -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWqCnev8ppI

Most of you probably got the email from the Duke Alumni Association about its hosted tailgate too. It sounds expensive, but worth a drive-by to find friends.

Enjoy your trip to Notre Dame!!

chrishoke
09-22-2016, 11:46 AM

I am so jealous. Lifetime Cards fan here. I took my son to a 3 game cards - cubs series in St Louis a few years back and it was fabulous. Enjoy. :)

arnie
09-22-2016, 12:08 PM
For those of you going to South Bend, you may not realize that GameDay is actually a 36 hour event that starts Friday afternoon with a big Pep Rally, Trumpets Under the Dome where the brass section of the band plays the fight song and the alma mater inside the main building, tours of "the Gug" (football building with a mini museum to Notre Dame football history), stadium tours where you can tour the stadium and locker rooms just like Rudy. For some games there is a Midnight drumline session in front of the Dome.

The weekend continues early on Saturday with 5k Game Day Run Club to tour campus, 6-8 hours of the best tailgates in America, waves of people touring iconic campus landmarks like the Grotto and Golden Dome, people checking out the ND Bookstore, the free Notre Dame Marching Band Concert on the steps of Bond Hall followed by the Drum Circles at the Golden Dome and the band's march through campus to the stadium lead by the Irish Guard in full kilts, the "Player's Walk" several hours before game time as the team files through the throngs on Library Quad in front of "Touchdown Jesus" to go to the locker rooms.

Here is a link that may help you make the most of your bucket list trip to an iconic and historic location -- http://gameday.nd.edu/traditions/

Grab a copy of The Observer (student newspaper, to be found for free in racks in most campus buildings like the Chronicle is) and you will usually get some great student sportswriting and pre-game analysis as well as more info on what is going on around campus.

According to The Observer, 4400 people took the ND Stadium tunnel tour last weekend, 8100 people attended the free pep rally in Purcell Pavillion, 3500 golf cart rides were given to guests Friday and Saturday and 140,000 people were on campus Saturday for a night game against a big regional opponent.

Don't be afraid to wander through the tailgate sections and strike up some conversations. You'll meet people from 5 to 105. The people are usually super-friendly to fans and quite used to having visitors attending as a bucket list trip. They will likely offer you a beer and trash talk a bit for fun. I have had some great discussions that way.

The stadium is in the midst of a huge $500 million construction project called Campus Crossroads where they work all week then repave for each home game, so it will not be in its true full autumn glory, but it's still pretty damn impressive.

The pre-game will usually be quite patriotic and may include a fly-over. There is almost always some alumni group being introduced and honored on the field before the game.

Once the game starts, the Student Section in the NW corner has a set of synchronized cheers that are entertaining and they will be doing overhead "air pushups" by hoisting up kids after every score, one pushup for every ND point scored. The students will mostly be wearing a blue t-shirt called "The Shirt" which for over 25 years has been redesigned and produced anew each season and raises about $150k a season for charity. One of the complaints about this year's shirt with alums is that its color was too much like Duke Blue, so Duke visitors may want to buy one as a souvenir in the bookstore (for a good cause).

The atmosphere for football is different than basketball and without the roof not quite as hothouse intense but those of you used to Cameron will feel at home in this atmosphere dripping with history and pride.

There is always a Mass immediately after the game in the Basilica and a lot of other post-game events, including more tailgating. Walk around to the side door of the Basilica facing the Dome to see the famous "God, Country, Notre Dame" archway. Don't miss the Grotto sometime during your visit.

Good pre-game and game tweets from the vast Notre Dame football ecosystem. There are dozens of websites and podcasts but these are a good crossection - follow @gamedayND and @WatchND and @FightingIrish and @mikevorel and @NDJimSmall and @angdicarlowndu

Former ND Assistant Cutcliffe returns to ND -- http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/092116aad.html

Trumpets under the Dome on YouTube -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWqCnev8ppI

Most of you probably got the email from the Duke Alumni Association about its hosted tailgate too. It sounds expensive, but worth a drive-by to find friends.

Sounds very similar to GameDay at Duke.

Reilly
09-22-2016, 12:11 PM
For those of you going to South Bend, you may not realize that GameDay is actually a 36 hour event that starts Friday afternoon ... There is always a Mass immediately after the game in the Basilica ...

Memories from Duke's 2007 visit: At Mass in the Basilica on Friday afternoon, the priest made a special mention to welcome fans of Duke ... everybody working at the school warmly greeting visitors all weekend with "Welcome to Notre Dame" ... the cold, slushy rain ... and Ted Roof opting to punt on 4th and 1 from midfield while losing 28-0, after taking a timeout .... some of those memories are held more fondly in my heart than others ...

Richard Berg
09-22-2016, 12:17 PM
I'll be in the thick of the ND VIP section, trying not to be too obnoxious as we pull off the upset. #DDMF!

flyingdutchdevil
09-22-2016, 12:19 PM
I'll be in the thick of the ND VIP section, trying not to be too obnoxious as we pull off the upset. #DDMF!

If Duke does pull off the upset, please do a few DDMFs. I can't think of a more appropriate time to do so... ;)

OldPhiKap
09-22-2016, 01:18 PM

Thank you for a great post and outstanding information!!! I am truly looking forward to the game, despite the long odds we may face in this one.

Avvocato
09-22-2016, 01:18 PM
If you are adding a former player to this team, I think it has to be a point guard. It's the only thing this team doesn't currently truly have (though we are assuming the freshmen play as advertised). Based on the criteria, I may have to go with Jay Heaps. He may be unavailable, so I will otherwise take Will Avery or Chris Duhon for this particular season.

Bob Green
09-22-2016, 03:52 PM
Uniform combination for the game:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cs-SxWoXEAAVqc_.jpg

cato
09-22-2016, 03:57 PM
If you are adding a former player to this team, I think it has to be a point guard. It's the only thing this team doesn't currently truly have (though we are assuming the freshmen play as advertised). Based on the criteria, I may have to go with Jay Heaps. He may be unavailable, so I will otherwise take Will Avery or Chris Duhon for this particular season.

I would settle for Sirk.

rasputin
09-22-2016, 04:15 PM
Uniform combination for the game:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cs-SxWoXEAAVqc_.jpg

The blue helmet looks more like the right shade in this picture.

DukieInKansas
09-22-2016, 04:30 PM
I would settle for Sirk.

Sonny Jurgensen? :D

duke79
09-22-2016, 04:30 PM
The blue helmet looks more like the right shade in this picture.

I like these "away games" uniforms. Classy! And the helmet does appear to be the right color in this photo.

Avvocato
09-22-2016, 06:00 PM
I would settle for Sirk.

I'm clearly in the wrong thread with this one. Hope my head is into my work better than this. Nice job by me.

OldPhiKap
09-22-2016, 07:22 PM
So I think so far we have the following in attendance according to their posts:

OPK
devildeac
sagegrouse
Dev 11
Chillin'
AustinDevil

Any others?

richmclean
09-22-2016, 07:24 PM
I'm coming - where will all y'all meet up?

OldPhiKap
09-22-2016, 07:26 PM
I'm coming - where will all y'all meet up?

Not sure yet. Midfield after the victory though, obviously.

richmclean
09-22-2016, 07:42 PM
Natch. I think I can find it.

-jk
09-22-2016, 07:56 PM

OPK
devildeac
sagegrouse
Dev 11
Chillin'
AustinDevil

Any others?

I think DU82 said he'd be there - after a few MLB games... (He may be so distracted tonight...)

-jk

Dev11
09-22-2016, 08:09 PM

OPK
devildeac
sagegrouse
Dev 11
Chillin'
AustinDevil

Any others?

But how many people are going to the Cubs game on Friday?

Stray Gator
09-22-2016, 08:15 PM

OPK
devildeac
sagegrouse
Dev 11
Chillin'
AustinDevil

Any others?

We're going to the game, accompanied by our daughter (Class of '06) and her fiance (Class of '05). We also plan to attend the Duke Alumni Pregame Tailgate, so maybe we'll see some of you there. Go Duke!

OldPhiKap
09-22-2016, 08:45 PM
We're going to the game, accompanied by our daughter (Class of '06) and her fiance (Class of '05). We also plan to attend the Duke Alumni Pregame Tailgate, so maybe we'll see some of you there. Go Duke!

I am setting up a group text so folks can coordinate and maybe meet up; if interested pm me with cell phone. Same for all others attending. I will be at the pre game with DaughterPhiKap and I know of at least one other poster attending. Up to about ten folks give or take.

fidel
09-22-2016, 09:29 PM
I am setting up a group text so folks can coordinate and maybe meet up; if interested pm me with cell phone. Same for all others attending. I will be at the pre game with DaughterPhiKap and I know of at least one other poster attending. Up to about ten folks give or take.

I'm there.

DU82
09-22-2016, 10:18 PM
I think DU82 said he'd be there - after a few MLB games... (He may be so distracted tonight...)

-jk

I will be there on Saturday.

Richard Berg
09-22-2016, 11:26 PM
Not sure yet. Midfield after the victory though, obviously.
I'll be riding the goalpost.

devildeac
09-23-2016, 12:33 AM
But how many people are going to the Cubs game on Friday?

We went Monday-W

Younger son-in-law went Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday-WWW

He'll be there Friday, too.

devildeac
09-23-2016, 12:35 AM
I'll be riding the goalpost.

I'll see y'all at Touchdown Jesus. I'll be the one redecorating with a can of Pantone 287. (And putting on the handcuffs...)

DukieInKansas
09-23-2016, 06:53 AM
I'll see y'all at Touchdown Jesus. I'll be the one redecorating with a can of Pantone 287. (And putting on the handcuffs...)

I'll be standing by in case you need folks to contribute to your bail fund.

Richard Berg
09-23-2016, 08:57 AM
"Borders" might be my favorite-ever name for a cornerback, apart from being a bad*ss player to watch.

Tomorrow, he'll meet his match: WR Equanimeous Tristan Imhotep J. St. Brown (http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/07/18/equanimeous-st-brown-most-interesting-prospect).

brevity
09-23-2016, 09:38 AM
"Borders" might be my favorite-ever name for a cornerback, apart from being a bad*ss player to watch.

Tomorrow, he'll meet his match: WR Equanimeous Tristan Imhotep J. St. Brown (http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/07/18/equanimeous-st-brown-most-interesting-prospect).

"Merlin's beard, that's a long name."
-- Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

richardjackson199
09-23-2016, 01:23 PM
If memory serves, we were only 24 point dogs to Bama, which I thought was way too low. This ND line strikes me as too big. Have any other Cut-coached Duke teams been 20+ point underdogs? Maybe v Clemson or FSU? What was the spread in the ACC Championship Game?

Some bettors in Vegas agree with you. Bettors like getting points, and the line is down to Notre Dame by 19.

I hope Duke wins by anything, but my head tells me the smart money is on the Irish to cover. Reed has been scary on extra points and awful on field goals. The Irish defense has been suspect, but if Reed's woes continue, Duke could leave some points off the board regardless of field position.

Duke has struggled with turnovers, never a winning formula. Our starting senior safety has to sit out the first half for a bs targetting suspension. Two of our wide receivers likely won't be playing - Fuller and Bracey as they recover from injury. We could use them to get into the endzone, as one formula to stop Duke has been load the box and stop the run.

Plus the Irish are ticked off after losing 2 out of 3 games effectively getting eliminated from playoff contention, despite storming back in both games. They are desperate for a win this weekend. Their offense can put up some points. Their players are more talented. And they are at home.

I'm not in Vegas, and would not bet against Duke. But I could understand someone hedging emotions and taking the Irish to cover. If the Irish do - you win some money. If they don't, you're happy Duke kept it respectable on national TV. Duke will be back, but I don't know if this is the game. I hope more than anything I'm wrong.

Disclaimer: Throw everything above out the window if OPK is there wearing the EAT ME Cake costume. If that happens, Duke wins big.

rasputin
09-23-2016, 02:21 PM
Disclaimer: Throw everything above out the window if OPK is there wearing the EAT ME Cake costume. If that happens, Duke wins big.

Thank you, God!

peteandpete
09-23-2016, 03:21 PM
I strongly suggest to my fellow Animal House fans that they should duplicate our northwest trip from a few years ago and visit the sites used in the filming of the movie: The Dexter Lake Club, downtown Cottage Grove, Oregon (site of the homecoming parade), the Rainbow Motel, Hayward Field, the campus dining hall where the epic food fight occurred, the building where the charges were brought against Delta House, the mayor's house, and go parking on Spencer Butte....oops, wasn't supposed to mention that.

Devilwin
09-23-2016, 03:39 PM
Can't help but recall back in 1971 when Duke went west and beat highly regarded Stanford, 9-3, on an interception return by POY cornerback Ernie Jackson. Time for another miracle maybe?

duke79
09-23-2016, 04:19 PM
Can't help but recall back in 1971 when Duke went west and beat highly regarded Stanford, 9-3, on an interception return by POY cornerback Ernie Jackson. Time for another miracle maybe?

Yea, Duke beating ND would be great for the program and a HUGE upset but we need to play a lot better than in the last two games (I'm ignoring the Central game). I hope the players are not too nervous playing at ND and can maintain their poise, especially if they get down early in the game.

Bob Green
09-23-2016, 04:26 PM
Duke has struggled with turnovers, never a winning formula. Our starting senior safety has to sit out the first half for a bs targetting suspension. Two of our wide receivers likely won't be playing - Fuller and Bracey as they recover from injury. We could use them to get into the endzone, as one formula to stop Duke has been load the box and stop the run.

You make a couple of valid points; however, your third point is a stretch as neither Scott Bracey nor Keyston Fuller* have played one single play of college football. While I am optimistic both will be very good, I also thought Trevon Lee was going to be a gamer and so far he hasn't produced. Bracey was a highly touted recruit and Fuller arrived with a reputation as a great athlete but as with all freshmen a wait and see attitude is warranted.

We have receivers. Turnovers, untimely penalties and the kicking game are responsible for the losses to Wake Forest and Northwestern. Fix those issues and we can give Notre Dame a game.

* I had two nice conversations with Fuller's grandfather at Meet the Blue Devils. The first in the parking lot as we parked next to each other and the second inside the practice facility. He is a really nice man.

Olympic Fan
09-23-2016, 07:38 PM

Well, miracle ... maybe,

That 1971 Duke team was 3-0 after beating Florida (in Tampa), No. 19 South Carolina at home and Virginia in Charlottesville.

That team was a little better prepared to beat No. 10 Stanford at Stanford. In fact, they were ranked No. 19 BEFORE beating the Indians (Stanford's nickname at that time ... they changed it in 1972)

That's not to diminish what the '71 Devils did. They did have to play without star RB Steve Jones, who was injured in a traffic accident the week before the Stanford game.

A better analogy to this week might be the 1989 Blue Devils.

That team was a disappointing 1-3 after losses to South Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia (by a 48-28 score -- that was not that close as Duke scored twice in the last three minutes) and an unimpressive victory over a bad Northwestern team. After losing at Virginia to fall to 1-3, Spurrier told writers that Duke has "one chance in a million" the next week against Clemson.

The next week, Duke upset No. 7 Clemson 21-17 in the rain at Wallace Wade Stadium, starting a seven-game winning streak that gave Duke a share of the ACC title.

I think THAT remains the biggest upset of my lifetime ... not sure a win tomorrow over an unranked Notre Dame team would match that ...

Avvocato
09-24-2016, 07:46 AM
Game day. I see one of two things happening. Either the team is overwhelmed by situation of playing at ND on national TV, and things fall apart (turnovers, penalties and missed assignments), or the team focuses harder and rises to the level of the moment and situation. It goes without saying I'm hoping for "B".

Duke can't afford today to waste offensive opportunities. We must capitalize with touchdowns instead of field goals, but when attempting field goals, wr must make hem (at least the shorter ones). I am concerned that if our field goal kicker is having a confidence crisis at Northwestern, I can't imagine what it will be like kicking in front of Touchdown Jesus on NBC. Hopefully he kicks himself out of his slump. I believe Jones is playing well but going through growing pains. With here games under his belt now, including a road game at a Power 5 school, he's better prepared for today's challenge. I think the team is talented and has played well in stretches. We just need it for 60 minutes today.

It's been mentioned in other threads how we are only getting pressure on the QB when we blitz. My thought is that at least we have been getting to the QB when we blitz. If you blitz and don't get there, you are usually in man to man coverage in the secondary, and if Kizer has all day to throw, we're in serious trouble. I'm hoping for some bend but don't break defense with a timely turnover or two to keep us in the game. Offense will have to score points today. Even if we are playing great defense, ND probably scores at least 30 anyway (I realize that may not make sense, but ND is a team that can put up 50+ if we don't play well defensively.)

I think we all realize today is a tall order for our group. I hope the team is well prepared (as I expect Cut teams to be), they are not overehelmed by the stage, and we are able to concentrate and focus at a level for 60 minutes thatcher haven't yet. Let's be tough, execute, hang in there, and by 4th quarter, be in striking distance. Let's make a good showing to the nation.

And if it's there for the taking in the 4th quarter, let's go get it. Let's go Duke.

P.S.

Glad (and jealous) that many Duke fans it appears are going today. Have a great time.

Avvocato
09-24-2016, 07:50 AM
Turnovers, untimely penalties and the kicking game are responsible for the losses to Wake Forest and Northwestern. Fix those issues and we can give Notre Dame a game.

And untimely missed assignments. We'll need to be focused for 60 minutes.

Bob Green
09-24-2016, 08:12 AM
I think we all realize today is a tall order for our group. I hope the team is well prepared (as I expect Cut teams to be), they are not overehelmed by the stage, and we are able to concentrate and focus at a level for 60 minutes thatcher haven't yet. Let's be tough, execute, hang in there, and by 4th quarter, be in striking distance. Let's make a good showing to the nation.

And if it's there for the taking in the 4th quarter, let's go get it. Let's go Duke.

Those are very solid comments. It would be great to see the team go out and play a full 60 minutes of focused football. If the team plays to their potential, this afternoon could be entertaining.

budwom
09-24-2016, 08:51 AM
I fear we'll (once again) need blitzes to get at the QB, opening up copious opportunities for them to exploit our secondary....but hey, I'm hopeful. I just
hope we play hard and well...ten fewer bubble screens would also make me happy. ND is going to sit on that play...

Bob Green
09-24-2016, 10:55 AM
...ten fewer bubble screens would also make me happy. ND is going to sit on that play...

Yeah, teams are sitting on our screens. I'm probably in the minority in that I don't mind seeing the team run screen passes but much better execution needs to take place. The ball in Wilson's hands with space to operate is a good thing and the bubble screen is a way to achieve it. Additionally, the wide receiver tunnel screen to Lloyd and/or Rahming can work if properly executed. Last week the second play from scrimmage was a wide receiver screen to Lloyd but Jones threw the ball high and it bounced off Lloyd's hands and out of bounds (luckily). Jones has to hit the receiver in the hands chest high so Lloyd or Rahming can catch it on the run with the opportunity to immediately turn up field.

But as you say, ND is going to be sitting on the screens...

A quick explanation in case some readers do not understand the terminology (Budwom, I know you know):

Bubble Screen - the receiver or running back is moving away from the quarterback toward the sideline when the ball is thrown.
Wide Receiver Screen - the receiver is moving toward the quarterback when the ball is thrown.

budwom
09-24-2016, 12:47 PM
and as some folks have pointed out, sometimes it's not even a bubble screen, just a pass to a guy alone, laterally....but that play requires
the ability to break a tackle. Gonna be interesting...

-jk
09-24-2016, 02:51 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke!

-jk

riverside6
09-24-2016, 03:40 PM
Live stats for Duke/Notre Dame...

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-notre-dame-football-live-stats-09242016

wavedukefan70s
09-24-2016, 05:42 PM
How about that strip by the defense.awsome.