PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 9-20-16

jimsumner
09-20-2016, 02:47 PM
Today’s media event was brought to us by the letter E, as in execution and experience, as in lack of.

More on that later.

First, some personnel notes.

Redshirt freshman Jordan Hayes will start at safety while Deandre Singleton sits out the first half against Notre Dame.

Brendan Boyce and Philip Carter will likely make the trip to South Bend, although David Cutcliffe says that’s not 100 percent. Both were suspended for the first three games of the season for violation of team rules.

Defensive end Dominic McDonald did not practice today and is unlikely to play Saturday. Danny Doyle is his nominal backup but look for Duke to move things around. Cutcliffe said true freshman Terrell Lucas had his best game against Northwestern and could be in the mix.

Touted freshman wide receiver Scott Bracey has missed a lot of practice and “is not ready right now.”

Now, to those two E’s.

Nowhere is the lack of execution and experience more evident than in the kicking game.

Cutcliffe says he’s confident he has the right people in place. His job is to build up confidence not tear it down. Doesn’t need guys trembling out there. Lots of meetings, lots of film work. Cutcliffe compared it to taking the ball from a closer who just blew a save. You take the ball gently and give them a pat on the back, because you’re going to need him the next day.

Daniel Jones? Still a blend of great plays and freshman mistakes. Needs to focus on high-percentage passes, proper decision making. Trying too hard to make something happen. “Slow your brain.” Hurrying means skipping part of the process. Cut compared it to Christmas morning when a parent skips the instructions and puts together a toy without using all the parts and the toy falls apart.

Explosives? DeVon Edwards and Ben Humphries agree that people are in the wrong spot too often. Duke defines an explosive as a run of at least 12 yards or a pass of at least 18. Humphries says the goal is five or fewer and Duke isn’t coming close.

Cutcliffe says it was a combination of busted coverage, poor technique and the other team making good plays.

Offensive line? Much better against Northwestern. More cohesive. Zach Harmon got the start at left guard and Cutcliffe said he did well. Cut says Duke needs to do a better job of blocking from tight ends and wide receivers and that Jones needs to do a better job of recognizing when the called play doesn’t have enough people to block the defense he sees and change the call.

Comes with experience.

Pass rush? Edwards and Humphries great pass rushers. But if Edwards is rushing the passer, he’s not playing safety. The freshmen defensive ends “aren’t there yet” but they could be the key. They have to adjust to the fact that they aren’t necessarily the best player on the field anymore.

How do you practice not making mistakes? Cutcliffe says Duke is evaluating everything, schemes, personnel. The key is to get people in positions where they can succeed.

That’s coaching 101 of course, but I’ve rarely heard Cut so upfront about having to fix stuff.

Cut admits that “mental toughness is the biggest item we’re facing.” Young people don’t always know how to deal with adversity and the coaches are having to keep the team focused on getting better.

Everyone insists the problems ailing Duke are correctable problems. Mental errors, focus, consistency, missed assignments. “It’s really just being where you’re supposed to be,” Edwards says. “When we go to the film and correct it, it’s an easy fix. We just have to go out and fix it.”

DeVon Edwards is one of the veterans. What is he telling the youngsters?

“Just keep your head up. It’s early season and we have a lot of football left. Have fun. It’s football and it’s what we love to do. Always walk with your head up and come to practice prepared to work.

Bob Green
09-20-2016, 04:21 PM
Thanks again, Jim. These notes are a real service to the board.

Everyone insists the problems ailing Duke are correctable problems. Mental errors, focus, consistency, missed assignments. “It’s really just being where you’re supposed to be,” Edwards says. “When we go to the film and correct it, it’s an easy fix. We just have to go out and fix it.”

Sounds like a double dose of coaching and leadership is needed. With the trip to South Bend up next, the fix needs to happen now.

Richard Berg
09-20-2016, 04:22 PM
Touted freshman wide receiver Scott Bracey has missed a lot of practice and “is not ready right now.”
Has anyone talked redshirt?

jimsumner
09-20-2016, 04:34 PM
Has anyone talked redshirt?

Ordinarily, I think medical redshirt would be on the table for a true freshman dealing with hamstring issues, which can be most vexing to put in the rearview mirror.

And we've never seen Bracey play a down of college football.

But if he's anywhere near as talented as he was hyped to be coming out of high school, then there's a good chance he'll be too good to stick around for his fifth year.

So, a medical redshirt does no one any good.

So, I'm guessing he'll play this season, maybe as early as the UVa game.

Richard Berg
09-20-2016, 04:42 PM
Hopefully doesn't turn into an Oghabaase-type situation.

BLPOG
09-20-2016, 05:00 PM
Whenever the football team takes an L, I can't help but be irrationally pessimistic about our prospects for the next few days. The effect is a hold-over from the bad years. This thread is what always gets me thinking "next play" and looking forward to the next game. Of course, that's doubly true after a W. Thanks for the post, Jim.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2016, 05:10 PM
Shock the world, baby. Shock the world.

At minimum: represent on national TV.

richardjackson199
09-20-2016, 05:44 PM

It would shock the world indeed.

The line is currently Notre Dame by 21, and I expect many in the football world expect them to cover.

ipatent
09-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Of the remaining opponents, only Virginia is lower that Duke in the current Sagarin ratings. Even Army is higher. Of course, that is a trailing indicator. Let's hope some of the pride acquired in the past few years inspires some upsets.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

OldPhiKap
09-20-2016, 07:01 PM

The line is currently Notre Dame by 21, and I expect many in the football world expect them to cover.

Pffffht. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

DukieInKansas
09-20-2016, 07:24 PM

We're just the guys* to do it!

* Team

richardjackson199
09-20-2016, 07:54 PM

In this case, I think we have to go all out. This situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part. Let's do it!!!! Go! Go! Go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vtWB4owdE

OldPhiKap
09-20-2016, 08:12 PM

* Team

In this case, I think we have to go all out. This situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part. Let's do it!!!! Go! Go! Go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vtWB4owdE

I'll be the guy at the game with a giant "Eat Me" cake costume.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-21-2016, 07:44 AM

* Team
21 is my lucky number! Let's Go DUKE! Beat Notre Dame!

Ima Facultiwyfe
09-21-2016, 08:25 AM
I continue to have faith in David Cutcliffe's early promise, "We will NEVER go away."
Love, Ima

MCFinARL
09-21-2016, 01:24 PM
I'll be the guy at the game with a giant "Eat Me" cake costume.

That would be beyond spectacular!!!

AustinDevil
09-22-2016, 08:27 PM
Pffffht. Was it over when [Notre Dame] bombed Pearl Harbor?

FIFY

DukieInKansas
09-22-2016, 08:32 PM
Pffffht. Was it over when the [Notre Dame] bombed [ ]?

FIFY

FIF both of Y

:D