PDA

View Full Version : Email From Kevin White on compliance

duke74
09-19-2016, 04:20 PM
Just got an email from Mr. White re: compliance with NCAA rules. As a CPA I am, of course, supportive of reminding us to make sure we are all in compliance with the rules, regardless of how complex or arcane -- but was this the result of an issue, or a standard reminder on a periodic basis? (It does provide evidence of positive "tone at the top.")

Here's the wording:

"Duke Fans,

As we enter into another exciting year of Duke Athletics, we would like to remind you of the importance of NCAA rules and provide you with contact information for our Compliance Office.

The goal of the Duke Athletics Compliance Office is to ensure that Duke student-athletes, coaches, staff, and supporters observe and abide by the rules that govern collegiate athletics. Please visit the Compliance Office website to learn valuable information related to interactions between fans and prospective and current student-athletes. NCAA rules are vast and complex, and the information included on the website is only an overview of NCAA regulations. However, with a basic understanding of applicable NCAA rules, you will be equipped to avoid actions that could jeopardize a student-athlete's eligibility.

It is our intent to continue to enhance the strong culture of compliance through education and an open-door policy. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the Compliance Office at DukeCompliance@duaa.duke.edu or (919) 613-6214.

In closing, please know that we truly appreciate your continued support of Duke University and Duke Athletics.

Go Duke!"

dukelifer
09-19-2016, 04:51 PM
Just got an email from Mr. White re: compliance with NCAA rules. As a CPA I am, of course, supportive of reminding us to make sure we are all in compliance with the rules, regardless of how complex or arcane -- but was this the result of an issue, or a standard reminder on a periodic basis? (It does provide evidence of positive "tone at the top.")

Here's the wording:

"Duke Fans,

As we enter into another exciting year of Duke Athletics, we would like to remind you of the importance of NCAA rules and provide you with contact information for our Compliance Office.

The goal of the Duke Athletics Compliance Office is to ensure that Duke student-athletes, coaches, staff, and supporters observe and abide by the rules that govern collegiate athletics. Please visit the Compliance Office website to learn valuable information related to interactions between fans and prospective and current student-athletes. NCAA rules are vast and complex, and the information included on the website is only an overview of NCAA regulations. However, with a basic understanding of applicable NCAA rules, you will be equipped to avoid actions that could jeopardize a student-athlete's eligibility.

It is our intent to continue to enhance the strong culture of compliance through education and an open-door policy. If you ever have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the Compliance Office at DukeCompliance@duaa.duke.edu or (919) 613-6214.

In closing, please know that we truly appreciate your continued support of Duke University and Duke Athletics.

Go Duke!"

I expect that they need to do this to satisfy NCAA requirements- i.e. inform the fans. Here is the relevant info

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1515167

I may need a lawyer to help me with this but I am a booster by definition simply by being a graduate of Duke. My sister who never went to Duke or has given money is a fan- and by definition she is a booster (You are a former student or fan of Duke University). So if I encounter a prospect, I am supposed to run- not walk or be nice and initiate a contact according to "DON’T initiate contact with a prospect or a prospect’s parents or relatives. You may be cordial to a prospect if incidental contact occurs, but immediately remove yourself from any further contact.". According to this- "A prospect is a student who has started the ninth grader" meaning I should have no contact with any ninth grader or other high schooler who may turn out to be good in sports even if they are not currently good at sports in the ninth grade. So by this I am not allowed to initiate contact with any high schooler or their parents ever (on the off chance that they could be recruited to play at Duke)- nor they with me! Do I have this right? Help!

flyingdutchdevil
09-19-2016, 04:55 PM
I expect that they need to do this to satisfy NCAA requirements- i.e. inform the fans. Here is the relevant info

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1515167

I may need a lawyer to help me with this but I am a booster by definition simply by being a graduate of Duke. My sister who never went to Duke or has given money is a fan- and by definition she is a booster (You are a former student or fan of Duke University). So if I encounter a prospect, I am supposed to run- not walk or be nice and initiate a contact according to "DON’T initiate contact with a prospect or a prospect’s parents or relatives. You may be cordial to a prospect if incidental contact occurs, but immediately remove yourself from any further contact.". According to this- "A prospect is a student who has started the ninth grader" meaning I should have no contact with any ninth grader or other high schooler who may turn out to be good in sports even if they are not currently good at sports in the ninth grade. So by this I am not allowed to initiate contact with any high schooler or their parents ever (on the off chance that they could be recruited to play at Duke)- nor they with me! Do I have this right? Help!

What if you went to Duke and your child is an athlete in high school and Duke is interested in him/her? Do I need to seize contact with my kid? Is feeding my child considered an illegal benefit?

Bob Green
09-19-2016, 05:07 PM
Do I need to seize contact with my kid?

That might be taking it too far so just cease contact and you'll be fine.

BD80
09-19-2016, 06:07 PM
... Do I need to seize contact with my kid? ...

Carpe filius ...

Indoor66
09-19-2016, 06:16 PM
Carpe filius ...

What is that in Dump-on-the-Hump speak?😥😁😎

mattman91
09-19-2016, 06:26 PM
I plan on watching Oak Hill when they come to town to play Christ School. Does this mean I can't cheer for Matt Coleman while wearing a Duke shirt?

MarkD83
09-19-2016, 06:58 PM
I plan on watching Oak Hill when they come to town to play Christ School. Does this mean I can't cheer for Matt Coleman while wearing a Duke shirt?

Wear a UNC shirt and the NCAA won't care.

MarkD83
09-19-2016, 07:00 PM
Wear a UNC shirt and the NCAA won't care.

On second thought I don't wish that my worst enemy is caught wearing a UNC shirt, so ignore my advice.

brevity
09-19-2016, 09:43 PM
What if you went to Duke and your child is an athlete in high school and Duke is interested in him/her? Do I need to seize contact with my kid? Is feeding my child considered an illegal benefit?

Dear Future Legacy Infraction,

You need to abandon your child. He or she has to leave the house, because staying with a booster is a Class II impermissible benefit. The child may pack whatever fits in the clear hospital belongings bag you brought home when he or she was born, but cannot take any extra cream cheese.

The child may attend any Duke sporting events, provided he or she pays for admission. Keep in mind that the clear bag is subject to Duke's own entry policies, whatever they may be.

Congratulations! You are now in NCAA compliance. You may be arrested for child endangerment, but that's not a problem for us.

Sincerely,

Mark Emmert

msdukie
09-19-2016, 09:55 PM

Here's the wording:

"Duke Fans,

Go Duke!"

Standard reminder. We seem to get this every year.

weezie
09-20-2016, 08:04 AM
...Is feeding my child considered an illegal benefit?

Considering how much teenaged son of weezie ate, I think we dodged an investigation.

flyingdutchdevil
09-20-2016, 08:26 AM
Carpe filius ...

Look what happens when I try to make a jokie joke...ultimate backfire