PDA

View Full Version : Mustard is a must

ohioguy2
10-08-2007, 09:54 PM
I will be tailgating with friends on Saturday. I am bringing Tony Packo's Hot Dogs and Nathan's Famous Franks. I see no reason to bring any condiments other than assorted mustard products and chopped onions. Certainly no tomato based products. :) Anyone not agree?

TillyGalore
10-08-2007, 09:57 PM
I like relish and mustard on my dogs. :D

DevilAlumna
10-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Clearly, you're not a fan of the Chicago-style dog; I tried it, and it was okay, but mentally, I can't get my head around including a pickle spear and tomato chunks with my dogs. Just seems wrong.

Mustard and onions are just fine. Kraut has its place, but not if there's a long car ride ahead for anyone. ;)

ohioguy2
10-08-2007, 10:10 PM
I forgot to add that I will also be bringing Packo's Pickles and their Mustard Relish. Since the game is in Ohio, at my undergrad alma mater, people for the most part, are familiar with Tony Packo's food stuff. BTW, relating to aother thread, I will also be bringing an assortment of New Belgium Beer that I picked up in Colorado. :p

EarlJam
10-08-2007, 10:29 PM
I will be tailgating with friends on Saturday. I am bringing Tony Packo's Hot Dogs and Nathan's Famous Franks. I see no reason to bring any condiments other than assorted mustard products and chopped onions. Certainly no tomato based products. :) Anyone not agree?

Hmmmmmm, while I very rarely agree with a "no-tomato-based" dining experience, I can see your point here. Those are fine, quality products. You should be okay with some simple mustard. God, I love mustard too!

How about some chili though? Chili or relish is a good addition to any hot dog.

Also, a splash of hot sauce (Texas Pete?) couldn't hurt - nor could sauerkraut.

-EarlJam

devildeac
10-08-2007, 11:30 PM
I forgot to add that I will also be bringing Packo's Pickles and their Mustard Relish. Since the game is in Ohio, at my undergrad alma mater, people for the most part, are familiar with Tony Packo's food stuff. BTW, relating to aother thread, I will also be bringing an assortment of New Belgium Beer that I picked up in Colorado. :p

Gwaltney great dogs(lower fat grams)-cooked them for years as a fundraiser for our swim club. Like them in many different ways. Chili and slaw(the southern way);ketchup/mustard/onions/kraut/relish or various combinations thereof. Not Chicago style(celery salt and peppers:eek:). No collard(or mustard or turnip) greens-simply nasty(plus they make your trunk stink:D )

Now, the New Belgium beer realy intrigues me. Fat Tire? Abbey? Tripple? Black lager? Saison? or all of the above. A really unique brewery.

snowdenscold
10-08-2007, 11:45 PM
The smell of mustard makes me want to throw up, much less actually eating it. I guess that's just me.

EarlJam
10-08-2007, 11:53 PM
The smell of mustard makes me want to throw up, much less actually eating it. I guess that's just me.

Serious question: Have you had a bad experience with mustard in the past that may be contributing to this? I ask because mustard does not have much of a smell at all.

As a kid, I ate too much homemade fudge and got sick. Now, the very smell of it still makes me sick. I can't come close to eating it without gagging.

-EarlJam

juise
10-08-2007, 11:57 PM

It's definitely not just you. I'll take mine with some ketchup and maybe some banana peppers... or some cheese.

DevilAlumna
10-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Serious question: Have you had a bad experience with mustard in the past that may be contributing to this? I ask because mustard does not have much of a smell at all.

As a kid, I ate too much homemade fudge and got sick. Now, the very smell of it still makes me sick. I can't come close to eating it without gagging.

-EarlJam

Hawaiian fruit punch. (and chicken noodle soup, but that I can still eat.)

ohioguy2
10-09-2007, 08:25 AM
Gwaltney great dogs(lower fat grams)-cooked them for years as a fundraiser for our swim club. Like them in many different ways. Chili and slaw(the southern way);ketchup/mustard/onions/kraut/relish or various combinations thereof. Not Chicago style(celery salt and peppers:eek:). No collard(or mustard or turnip) greens-simply nasty(plus they make your trunk stink:D )

Now, the New Belgium beer realy intrigues me. Fat Tire? Abbey? Tripple? Black lager? Saison? or all of the above. A really unique brewery.

I brought back a mixed case of Fat Tire, Blue Paddle, Mothership Witt and Sunshine. It was a hard choice--The Abbey and Tripple and one other beer available only on tap, a sour of some sort , were very good. The servers were more than happy to explain each beer and the tour was a great experience for a beer lover. They seem to be expanding to the East. A map on the wall indicated an eastward movement as far as Illinois.

wilson
10-09-2007, 09:30 AM
I too favor the mustard-only approach. I'm a mustard, chili, slaw kind of guy. If I'm having a two-dog meal, the second one is typically chili, mustard, kraut (sometimes chili, mustard, jalapenos...maybe a spot of barbecue sauce...Pauly Dogs, anyone?).
Mustard is honestly my favorite food. I am not, however, such an anti-ketchup zealot as to completely debar its inclusion at a hot dog meal. In my book, it has gained acceptability (but not Most Favored Condiment status) by simple popular demand. It's sort of like how so many stupid people continued to use the non-word "irregardless" over the years that it finally made its way into the dictionary.

snowdenscold
10-09-2007, 09:46 AM

No, it's not one of those "bad experience" situations. In fact, I've never had mustard. The smell always drove me away (oh and maybe I'm just scared of yellow?)

OZZIE4DUKE
10-09-2007, 10:08 AM

Me too. Hate mustard. Just plain hate it.

Sour Kraut on my hot dogs, please!

DukeDude
10-09-2007, 12:39 PM
My top dog would have a dark mustard with horseradish, onions, sauerkraut and a pickle (not relish).

snowdenscold
10-09-2007, 12:55 PM
OK, full disclosure: I'm actually an insanely picky eater. My ideal hot dog would have the meat, the bun (very slightly toasted), ketchup and nothing else. Boring, I know, but that's just how I am.

dukemomLA
10-09-2007, 03:35 PM
How can anyone hate mustard. I LOVE mustard....various varities grace my Frig. However, being a past New Yorker, you MUST add grilled/sauteed onions to the mix. Onions, made soft with some butter/margarine/olive oil, with paprika, and then (perhaps) tossed on the grill.

So...the perfect hotdog: Slightly toasted buns, a great dog, covered with mustard (of your choice), perhaps a little sauerkraut, relish, soft onions, ketchup (if you insist). Heaven

Indoor66
10-09-2007, 03:46 PM
I like relish and mustard on my dogs. :D

Mustard, chili, slaw and onions - dashed with Texas Pete. ALL THE WAY!

Have you forgotten your NC roots?

prefan21
10-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Think outside the box, like Pauly (of Pauly Dogs on West Campus).

Crumbled potato chips, barbecue sauce, Texas Pete, Old Bay, cayenne pepper, grilled or fried onions, chopped tomatoes, jalapenos, chili -- these things are all fair game on a hot dog. High end hipster places in NYC even top their dogs with things like kimchee, Sriracha, pastrami, or gruyere cheese. In Seattle you can find cream cheese dogs.

Be brave :)

Olympic Fan
10-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Jeez, when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be another comment on a Seinfeld episode -- where Kramer raids Jerry's fridge to make a huge Dagwood Bumstead, then gets pissed at Jerry because he doesn't have any spicy mustard (only the bland yellow stuff).

As for what the thread turning out to be -- it never ceases to amaze me when people argue about taste. If you like mustard on your hot dog, great. If you'd rather have chili and ketsup, so what? It's not like one's better than another.

Lavabe
10-09-2007, 05:24 PM
If you like mustard on your hot dog, great. If you'd rather have chili and ketsup, so what? It's not like one's better than another.

I don't know, but is there a regional component to how one spells ketchup, catsup, ketsup? That's the first time I've ever seen KETSUP.:confused:

Cheers,
Lavabe

Jim3k
10-09-2007, 06:17 PM
I know that you're talking about eating hotdogs in situations where you have to use cold condiments. What I don't understand is why there is no mention, given that hotdogs can be eaten in places where there is a kitchen, of CHILIDOGS!

The Dope Shop chilidogs were outstanding. Don't they offer them any more?

Of course, they were messy but...worth it.

billybreen
10-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Hawaiian fruit punch. (and chicken noodle soup, but that I can still eat.)

For the longest time, orange juice (especially cheap orange juice) tasted like it had vodka in it. I eventually overcame that, but to this day I can't even _look_ at a lime without shivering.

Damn you, freshman year!

ohioguy2
10-09-2007, 08:40 PM
I know that you're talking about eating hotdogs in situations where you have to use cold condiments. What I don't understand is why there is no mention, given that hotdogs can be eaten in places where there is a kitchen, of CHILIDOGS!

The Dope Shop chilidogs were outstanding. Don't they offer them any more?

Of course, they were messy but...worth it.

If I wished to take more cooking "stuff' to the tail gate, I would take a pan to warm up Tony Packo's Chili Sauce--for those of you not aquainted with Packo's, think back to Klinger and MASH. If you are not of an age to remember MASH nor a resident of Northwest Ohio, too bad for you--you missed one of the best T V shows ever and are missing one of the best chili dog experiences of all time. A visit to Packo's is culinary heaven for people who appreciate good dogs. Theirs is a Hungarian style dog and sauce. The place itself is awash with buns signed by visiting dignataries from presidents to rock stars. A dog and a bowl of chili will make you a life time customer.:D

DevilAlumna
10-09-2007, 08:42 PM
If I wished to take more cooking "stuff' to the tail gate, I would take a pan to warm up Tony Packo's Chili Sauce--for those of you not aquainted with Packo's, think back to Klinger and MASH. If you are not of an age to remember MASH nor a resident of Northwest Ohio, too bad for you--you missed one of the best T V shows ever and are missing one of the best chili dog experiences of all time. A visit to Packo's is culinary heaven for people who appreciate good dogs. Theirs is a Hungarian style dog and sauce. The place itself is awash with buns signed by visiting dignataries from presidents to rock stars. A dog and a bowl of chili will make you a life time customer.:D

Is it better than Ben's Chili Bowl in DC? If so, I might have to make a pilgrimage....

ohioguy2
10-09-2007, 08:54 PM
I have not had the pleasure of eating at Ben's, but I will hold Packo's up to any place .

devildeac
10-09-2007, 09:31 PM
I brought back a mixed case of Fat Tire, Blue Paddle, Mothership Witt and Sunshine. It was a hard choice--The Abbey and Tripple and one other beer available only on tap, a sour of some sort , were very good. The servers were more than happy to explain each beer and the tour was a great experience for a beer lover. They seem to be expanding to the East. A map on the wall indicated an eastward movement as far as Illinois.

If they make it as far as Illinois, please give them a set of directions to North Carolina. I will welcome them at the border and then direct them down to Jahjah, home of Lavabe, Wilson, Earljam, Jason Evans and Steven5282(?). I bet that contingent would also welcome them at the border with open arms and open pint glasses:D

pfrduke
10-09-2007, 09:34 PM

Being in Ohio, were you using the famous Cleveland Stadium Mustard? That and a Nathan's Frank makes the absolute best hot dogs. Scary as it sounds, I actually order the Stadium Mustard by the case from the manufacturers in Ohio, since there's no other way to get it out here.

devildeac
10-09-2007, 09:37 PM

brings back memories of ski trips to Oregon and Colorado when I would bring back socks, boots, shoes and carry on bags full of micros that were not available in NC. For that matter, many still are not, but with 'Pop the Cap', we now get a much greater variety from across the country, plus, local brewers are much more willing to market their high gravity products, instead of consuming them illegally in ther basements;)

Lavabe
10-09-2007, 10:04 PM
If they make it as far as Illinois, please give them a set of directions to North Carolina. I will welcome them at the border and then direct them down to Jahjah, home of Lavabe, Wilson, Earljam, Jason Evans and Steven5282(?). I bet that contingent would also welcome them at the border with open arms and open pint glasses:D

I believe this belongs in another thread ... but please let me know where I can pick it up in either Carbondale, IL or St. Louis, MO. I'm headed there this weekend ... could pick up some of it for Devildeac, or an Atlanta tasting with Wilson, EJ, and Jason (I believe Steven SNRUB'd me that he is in NY, but I think he'll be in GA soon).

DEFINITELY picking up Schlafly! Given that the stink-o-meter is returning to lower levels, my trunk is safe again.

Returning to the thread topic, I will be attending a conference in DC at the end of November. Given DA's endorsement, I think I know where to get chili.

First I go to the Ghanaian bar ... THEN I get the chili.:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

OZZIE4DUKE
10-09-2007, 10:26 PM
The perfect hot dog (all beef, kosher if available) is slightly charred, eaten plain, and skewered on the end of a long fork (or tongs) while standing at the charcoal grill cooking everyone else's food. It's the chef's reward for doing the cooking!

If you haven't tried it, you don't know what you are missing!

ohioguy2
10-09-2007, 10:27 PM

According to their web site

http://www.newbelgium.com/index.php

they have moved as far east as Mo.

The web site is an interesting place--check the various beer and look under FAQ for a map of distribution states.

ohioguy2
10-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Being in Ohio, were you using the famous Cleveland Stadium Mustard? That and a Nathan's Frank makes the absolute best hot dogs. Scary as it sounds, I actually order the Stadium Mustard by the case from the manufacturers in Ohio, since there's no other way to get it out here.

At about 22 bucks a case, it is a good deal--makes great gifts. :)

devildeac
10-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Lavabe, where are you? check out ohioguy's posts about New Belgium. Their web site says they are available in MO so you had better bring back some Schafly's oatmeal stout AND some varieties of New Belgium brews after you trip to St. Louis. Or your daughter will never play lacrosse again, oh, wait a minute, wrong board. (after that statement, maybe President Brodhead will invite me to some upcoming Duke Alumni events as a speaker, put me on a forthcoming CCI panel and reward me with a prestigious student(or alumni) honor) Nah... I wonder where this post will end up-on the off topic board, the LAX board or in post purgatory...

Lavabe
10-10-2007, 04:25 AM
Lavabe, where are you? check out ohioguy's posts about New Belgium. Their web site says they are available in MO so you had better bring back some Schafly's oatmeal stout AND some varieties of New Belgium brews after you trip to St. Louis. Or your daughter will never play lacrosse again, oh, wait a minute, wrong board. (after that statement, maybe President Brodhead will invite me to some upcoming Duke Alumni events as a speaker, put me on a forthcoming CCI panel and reward me with a prestigious student(or alumni) honor) Nah... I wonder where this post will end up-on the off topic board, the LAX board or in post purgatory...

I just investigated, and apparently New Belgium is all over St. Louis at Schnuck's (sort of like Publix or Harris-Teeter). I'll get some Schlafly's, but IIRC (8 years ago), the bottle is nowhere as good as the draught. Take a look at the Schlafly site, and let me know what you want. Expect a call Saturday night from the Schnuck's panic aisle.

My daughter is loving lacrosse, and doing well at school. Add in a Fat Tire, and not much else matters. PM to follow. Could really use a SweetWater!

OhioGuy2: Umm, I have some other meetings in March in Columbus. Any way to get Packo's down at THE Ohio State University?
Cheers,
Lavabe

Bob Green
10-10-2007, 05:30 AM
Spicy mustard and chopped onions are great condiments for my hot dog anytime! Of course, being a North Carolinian, I must agree with Devildeac that the Southern Dog (chili and slaw) is a real tasty experience. The slaw really brings out the flavor of the chili.

Chard
10-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Great Scott, people. I now have to run out and find a friggin hot dog for lunch. MMMMMM, MMMMMM.

Carolina style, please + cheese.

Now, if it is a braut, it must have Kraut or onions and peppers with spicy mustard.

Bluedawg
10-10-2007, 03:46 PM

Unless it's chilli

ohioguy2
10-10-2007, 04:04 PM
The shopping for mustards is done. I have Stadium (Cleveland), Koops Horseradish, Inglehofer Sweet Hot and Packo's Mustard Relish. Packo's and Natan's Famous dogs---

Thanks for all your input--valuable and otherwise:rolleyes:

ohioguy2
10-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Whoops, forgot to add this for Lavabe

http://www.tonypackos.com/locations.php

No cafe's in Columbus, only the Toledo area, but the products are available in Greensboro, Carey and other places in N. Carolina. The web site will help you find a place nearby--The Packo's people should pay me for this.

Add a good New Belgium brew and you will be happy people. :D

Lavabe
10-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Whoops, forgot to add this for Lavabe

http://www.tonypackos.com/locations.php

No cafe's in Columbus, only the Toledo area, but the products are available in Greensboro, Carey and other places in N. Carolina. The web site will help you find a place nearby--The Packo's people should pay me for this.

I checked out the site. Apparently they're here in the Fresh Market in Marietta ... like a couple of miles away! So now what I need to do is get the New Belgiums in St. Louis, then cruise by the Fresh Market, and VOILA!!

SWEET!:D
Lavabe

ohioguy2
10-10-2007, 07:10 PM
I checked out the site. Apparently they're here in the Fresh Market in Marietta ... like a couple of miles away! So now what I need to do is get the New Belgiums in St. Louis, then cruise by the Fresh Market, and VOILA!!

SWEET!:D
Lavabe

If they have their Pickles and Peppers pick some of them up also--I imagine they will as the P and P were their first nationally marketed product. they have a "bite" to them, so if you don't like hot stuff, ignore this. They also sell a sweet version, but not for the purist. I sent two case of the P and P to the mess room of a navy ship my son had been on--they had heard my son talk of them--BTW, the sauce just is not as good from the can as from the kitchen--the rest of the products are allmost identical. Enjoy and let me know how you like the stuff.:)

throatybeard
10-10-2007, 08:24 PM
1) Real mustards aren't yellow, they're brown, green, and all sorts of colors. Ask the Germans and French.

2) It amuses me that people are talking about the smell of mustard being offputting in the same thread that the next most repulsive smell on earth after feces, that of the onion, is being celebrated.

throatybeard
10-10-2007, 08:29 PM
I just investigated, and apparently New Belgium is all over St. Louis at Schnuck's (sort of like Publix or Harris-Teeter). I'll get some Schlafly's, but IIRC (8 years ago), the bottle is nowhere as good as the draught. Take a look at the Schlafly site, and let me know what you want. Expect a call Saturday night from the Schnuck's panic aisle.

My daughter is loving lacrosse, and doing well at school. Add in a Fat Tire, and not much else matters. PM to follow. Could really use a SweetWater!

OhioGuy2: Umm, I have some other meetings in March in Columbus. Any way to get Packo's down at THE Ohio State University?
Cheers,
Lavabe

Schnucks isn't quite as upmarket as HT relative to its environment. I have trouble classifying it. Diehrbergs is more upmarket--options as good as Whole Foods w/o the overpricing. Basically--and I say this as a Southerner--everybody else's middling grocery store is the Southerner's upmarket grocery store.

So yes, Schnucks is about as health-conscious and multiple-option-rendering as HT. But it's the Food Lion of the Midwest, relative to the urban Midwest. If that makes sense.

My wife and I get a lot of our produce at Soulard Market, and none of the grocery stores.

Lavabe
10-10-2007, 08:34 PM
It amuses me that people are talking about the smell of mustard being offputting in the same thread that the next most repulsive smell on earth after feces, that of the onion, is being celebrated.

No, the smell of rancid collards is worse (see other thread).;) Insert Tar Hell jokes. Images of Shawshank Redemption also come to mind. Durian fruit smells awful. But the number one most repulsive smell is this flower (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/410763.stm).:eek:

I love the smell of rotting flesh in the morning.
Cheers,
Lavabe

P.S. Throaty: Is Petrovsky's Bagels in U-City still around?

throatybeard
10-10-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm not sure. I haven't seen it but I can take a look. Is it in the Loop?

Truth
10-11-2007, 02:56 PM
Why the obsession with this Tony Packo guy? I thought everyone knew that Sabrett is the undisputed king of hotdog-land.

ohioguy2
10-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Why the obsession with this Tony Packo guy? I thought everyone knew that Sabrett is the undisputed king of hotdog-land.

Every king is disputed.

Lavabe
10-11-2007, 11:35 PM

Sabrett and Nathan's are #1 & 2 from my growing up days. On the other hand, when I travel, I want to take in staples of the region I'm visiting. If I go to NY, I'll take a Sabrett pushcart OR I'll go to Papaya King. Woofies was a St. Louis mainstay. If you go to Madison, you get a Brat and a Leinie. If you go to LA, you try Pink's.

Tony Packo's from Toledo sounds appealing to me. WHY NOT TRY IT?

Why not try it with some Fat Tire?

Cheers,
Lavabe

Bluedawg
10-12-2007, 09:51 AM
1) Real mustards aren't yellow, they're brown, green, and all sorts of colors. Ask the Germans and French.

2) It amuses me that people are talking about the smell of mustard being offputting in the same thread that the next most repulsive smell on earth after feces, that of the onion, is being celebrated.

No, i'm sorry. Mustard is yellow.

wilson
10-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Sabrett and Nathan's are #1 & 2 from my growing up days. On the other hand, when I travel, I want to take in staples of the region I'm visiting. If I go to NY, I'll take a Sabrett pushcart OR I'll go to Papaya King. Woofies was a St. Louis mainstay. If you go to Madison, you get a Brat and a Leinie. If you go to LA, you try Pink's.

Tony Packo's from Toledo sounds appealing to me. WHY NOT TRY IT?

Why not try it with some Fat Tire?

Cheers,
Lavabe

For shame, Lavabe. An Atlantan, discussing hot dog landmarks, with no mention of the Varsity? May your Peachtree card be revoked (I really dunno what a Peachtree card is, but it sounds like it might be the actual card that a card-carrying Atlantan carries).

captmojo
10-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Oscar Meyer, Big and Juicy, first, boiled in beer (and not a beer that you would not drink) then slow grilled over charcoal until the seam rips open and skin chars. Then place in lightly toasted bun. I prefer using the so-called pull apart bar-b-que bread and splitting from the top down. Gulden's Spicy Brown mustard, chili and Kraft Easy Cheese, American flavor. The only time I want this aerosol concoction. Combines well with frankfurter, ease of use, I score it a 98.

Lavabe
10-15-2007, 06:57 AM
For shame, Lavabe. An Atlantan, discussing hot dog landmarks, with no mention of the Varsity? May your Peachtree card be revoked (I really dunno what a Peachtree card is, but it sounds like it might be the actual card that a card-carrying Atlantan carries).

I've had some gastric issues with V, VJr, and the Athens V, so I leave alone all mentions of WHADUYAHAVE.

If we start talking about burgers, then I go Vortex.

Cheers,
Lavabe