PDA

View Full Version : Ga Tech's recruiting

JasonEvans
09-16-2016, 04:48 PM
I've mentioned in the past that the state of Ga is in a real high point in terms of quality recruits in basketball. Metro Atlanta is home to 12 of the top 100 players in the 247 rankings for 2017. WOW! I've also mentioned that Josh Pastner's #1 job at Tech is to get the recruiting back to the point where they can really compete for top 50 kids or even occasional top 25 Mickie Dees. I believe Pastner was hired because of his reputation as a recruiter.

So, it was with great interest that I read the DBR article about the "Promising Point Guard" that Tech had just landed. Well, forgive me if I am a bit unimpressed.

Josa Alvarado is rated #156 by 247 and the 34th best PG in the class of 2017. Rivals has him #131. He wass not in ESPN's top 100. The consensus was that Rutgers (one of the weakest BCS programs in the country) was Alvarado's second choice. He had gotten some interest from Indiana and Miami, but most of the programs recruiting him were schools like Iona, Hofstra, Fordham, and Dayton. Look, he may turn out to be a nice player, but lets not pretend that Ga Tech pulled off some kind of recruiting coup here. The DBR article says Alvarado will be a 4 year player -- that's because the NBA is almost certainly not in this kid's future. If you look at the kids who seem to be interested in Tech in the class of 2017, it doesn't seem at this time that Tech is going to get any top 50 recruits and perhaps not any top 100s either.

By the way, Auburn and Alabama seem to be having some success mining GA in the 2017 class. Auburn already has GA kids Davion Mitchell and Chuma Okeke who are both top 50ish kind of recruits and Alabama is supposedly the leader for top 15 recruit Colin Sexton as well as top 50 Rayshaun Hammonds.

-Jason "meanwhile, UGA isn't even on most of these kid's radar... as bad as the talent pipeline is at Ga Tech, Georgia may be even worse" Evans

OldPhiKap
09-16-2016, 05:11 PM
I've mentioned in the past that the state of Ga is in a real high point in terms of quality recruits in basketball. Metro Atlanta is home to 12 of the top 100 players in the 247 rankings for 2017. WOW! I've also mentioned that Josh Pastner's #1 job at Tech is to get the recruiting back to the point where they can really compete for top 50 kids or even occasional top 25 Mickie Dees. I believe Pastner was hired because of his reputation as a recruiter.

So, it was with great interest that I read the DBR article about the "Promising Point Guard" that Tech had just landed. Well, forgive me if I am a bit unimpressed.

Josa Alvarado is rated #156 by 247 and the 34th best PG in the class of 2017. Rivals has him #131. He wass not in ESPN's top 100. The consensus was that Rutgers (one of the weakest BCS programs in the country) was Alvarado's second choice. He had gotten some interest from Indiana and Miami, but most of the programs recruiting him were schools like Iona, Hofstra, Fordham, and Dayton. Look, he may turn out to be a nice player, but lets not pretend that Ga Tech pulled off some kind of recruiting coup here. The DBR article says Alvarado will be a 4 year player -- that's because the NBA is almost certainly not in this kid's future. If you look at the kids who seem to be interested in Tech in the class of 2017, it doesn't seem at this time that Tech is going to get any top 50 recruits and perhaps not any top 100s either.

By the way, Auburn and Alabama seem to be having some success mining GA in the 2017 class. Auburn already has GA kids Davion Mitchell and Chuma Okeke who are both top 50ish kind of recruits and Alabama is supposedly the leader for top 15 recruit Colin Sexton as well as top 50 Rayshaun Hammonds.

-Jason "meanwhile, UGA isn't even on most of these kid's radar... as bad as the talent pipeline is at Ga Tech, Georgia may be even worse" Evans

I understand that GT is a tough school. I find it unfathomable, though, that they cannot recruit better. If you were 18 years old, it's hard to think of a better town on the East Coast to live in than ATL.

ipatent
09-16-2016, 05:43 PM
Pastner just started, I wouldn't pass judgement on his recruiting yet.

Bobby Cremins got a little bit lucky and struck gold with two unheralded recruits, Mark Price and John Salley, to get that program up and running right after they joined the ACC. Pastner has an easier path than he did.

Olympic Fan
09-16-2016, 06:31 PM
I understand that GT is a tough school. I find it unfathomable, though, that they cannot recruit better. If you were 18 years old, it's hard to think of a better town on the East Coast to live in than ATL.

Georgia Tech's "tough" academics haven't seemed to have hurt their football recruiting.

OldPhiKap
09-16-2016, 06:32 PM
Georgia Tech's "tough" academics haven't seemed to have hurt their football recruiting.

And I do remember a cluster of hotel management majors for their basketball team.