PDA

View Full Version : Nice to see the NCAA in action

SoCalDukeFan
09-15-2016, 07:50 PM
Of course Stanford did self report.
http://www.gostanford.com/news/2016/9/15/athletics-statement-from-bernard-muir.aspx

Maybe unc-ch should consider self reporting.

SoCal

gep
09-16-2016, 01:21 AM
From the linked article...

The NCAA investigation explored whether there was a possibility of other violations. No other violations were addressed in the report. But in 2014, recognizing the risks of these housing arrangements, the university revised its policy and now prohibits student-athletes from renting local housing during the summer. Student-athletes are now housed on campus. The university has provided additional education to community members and boosters regarding impermissible benefits.

I find this interesting, since I heard that for Boise State football... one way that they get great player development... is that almost 100% of football players stay in Boise for the summer. And the way that they can afford that is to have a bunch of players rent a house and split the costs. I don't know if the total rental amount is below market value, but this is apparently how the keep almost all players in Boise over the summer to workout, train, etc. Maybe total rent is market value and the cost-splitting is reasonable... :confused:

Merlindevildog91
09-16-2016, 10:57 AM
From the linked article...

I find this interesting, since I heard that for Boise State football... one way that they get great player development... is that almost 100% of football players stay in Boise for the summer. And the way that they can afford that is to have a bunch of players rent a house and split the costs. I don't know if the total rental amount is below market value, but this is apparently how the keep almost all players in Boise over the summer to workout, train, etc. Maybe total rent is market value and the cost-splitting is reasonable... :confused:

This was not an anomaly. The college paid a stipend for housing to each player. Several players would rent an apartment. If one of the players is eligible for discounted housing under Section 8, the rent is almost nothing, and the rest of the money goes in the players' pockets. So it could be quite a windfall.

The Virginian-Pilot had an article about VT doing this once, but I haven't been able to find it in a cursory search.