PDA

View Full Version : Inaugural Duke Pro Days

English
09-13-2016, 11:44 PM
As reported by Woj in The Vertical, the Duke men's hoops program is instituting its first ever NBA Pro Days, on two non-consecutive days in October. NBA front offices have been invited, but also notified that they're barred from all other practices. The first pro day will involve skills and drill work, the second a scrimmage with game officials.

http://yhoo.it/2cY9VVR

The UK twitterverse and sports commentariat is all over this move, citing Coach K for plagiarizing the Great Innovator--you know, the same guy that invented the Stretch-4.

Interesting development.

flyingdutchdevil
09-14-2016, 07:16 AM
As reported by Woj in The Vertical, the Duke men's hoops program is instituting its first ever NBA Pro Days, on two non-consecutive days in October. NBA front offices have been invited, but also notified that they're barred from all other practices. The first pro day will involve skills and drill work, the second a scrimmage with game officials.

http://yhoo.it/2cY9VVR

The UK twitterverse and sports commentariat is all over this move, citing Coach K for plagiarizing the Great Innovator--you know, the same guy that invented the Stretch-4.

Interesting development.

In fairness, Coach Cal has been lambasted on DBR for doing exactly this. I'm sure someone will try and spin how this is different from UK's pro days.

I think it's a great idea. Really signals to recruits that Duke cares about their long term pro future (if that wasn't made clear before...).

Ichabod Drain
09-14-2016, 08:35 AM
In fairness, Coach Cal has been lambasted on DBR for doing exactly this. I'm sure someone will try and spin how this is different from UK's pro days.

I think it's a great idea. Really signals to recruits that Suke cares about their long term pro futur (if that wasn't made clear before...).

Yea, it also makes it so K can have his practices to build the team instead of guys trying to look good for whatever scout showed up that day. They have two days to show off and the rest will be focused on developing this Duke team.

DukeFanSince1990
09-14-2016, 08:55 AM

I think it's a great idea. Really signals to recruits that Suke cares about their long term pro futur (if that wasn't made clear before...).

Coach K will also do this better than him.

plimnko
09-14-2016, 09:35 AM
hopefully, the scrimmage day will be open to the public also.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-14-2016, 09:56 AM

It is the benefit of hind-sight, I am sure...

English
09-14-2016, 11:02 AM

I think it's a great idea. Really signals to recruits that Duke cares about their long term pro futur (if that wasn't made clear before...).

Totally agree, and Cal has also been lambasted for bringing in as many OADs as possible, as well. However, now (many of) the top programs are doing that, too, as well as they can. It's been shown to help with success. This is the nature of the game evolving. Change happens and Coach K may not like it--he's been on record as disliking the OAD rule--but he's adaptive. Us, as fans, tend to be slow to embrace the changes, but we've historically come around eventually.

This is likely to be another example. College basketball purists will hate this immediately, and blame Cal for continuing to chip away at the foundation of CBB and amateurism for the sake of an NBA minor league system. Other programs will begin to do this, if they can generate enough NBA interest. And it'll begin to blend into the fabric of the big-time D1 college game. Recruits will be drawn, the program will sustain its success on their backs (ideally mixed with some 4-year players/leaders), and we'll point at laugh at rival programs (cough...uNC...cough) who can't get talented enough players to draw NBA front offices to their Pro Days.

I'm absolutely not a Cal apologist (quite the contrary), but I'm a realist when it comes to change and the evolution of the game. Shoe brands, AAU circuits, OADs, Pro Days...we may not like it, but it's where the game is going.

DavidBenAkiva
09-14-2016, 11:02 AM

There are many, many differences between the two programs. For instance, Coach Calipari has turned these pro days into a spectacle, inviting ESPNU to broadcast the non-event (http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article42633501.html). It's crazy that ESPN would allow themselves to become a vehicle for their recruiting like that. I would have a problem if Duke did the same thing.

Second, reading between the lines, it's possible that many NBA execs were contacting the front office about visiting to scout Duke players. This was probably a response to control access to practices so as not to distract from getting the team prepared for the season. Of course, the way Woj wrote the article, it comes off sounding like K is arrogantly dictating access to the poor NBA that may have to fly their executives to out-of-the-way North Carolina to watch some potential players they will undoubtedly spend the next 5 months scouting during the season anyway. How heartless.

The_Dukester
09-15-2016, 12:09 AM
I have to agree with David. With Calipari's UK pro day being broadcasted on ESPNU it had the underlying feel, actually overt feel to me, of a recruiting ploy. If Coach K broadcasts Duke's pro day, then it's the same thing, but I have a feeling that won't be the case. In my opinion of lot of this may have to do with the fact that a lot of NBA scouts want to have a look at Harry Giles. He was highly favored to be the #1 overall pick until his injury and no one has seen him play in a year. If teams are still interested in him as their #1 pick they probably want to see how he is progressing up close and personal and as much as possible. To minimize all the requests and minimize distractions for a potential historic team, not to mention any added pressure to perform in front of scouts at regular basis, have 2 designated pro days makes a lot of sense.

Dev11
09-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Of course this is a recruiting tactic, even if it isn't on television. Top recruits want the best paths to the pros. If this convinces more of the best players that Duke will showcase them appropriately, then those players will more likely come to Duke. I'd be curious how much the activities change from regular, closed practices to those in front of scouts.

devildeac
09-15-2016, 12:47 PM
WTH?!?!

Still no links to any Stephen A(ss) Smith comments?!?! :rolleyes:

Rich
09-15-2016, 01:29 PM
The first pro day will involve skills and drill work, the second a scrimmage with game officials.

I really don't see how playing against game officials will be all that competitive...and they'll probably complain about every call! :rolleyes:

oakvillebluedevil
09-15-2016, 01:49 PM
There are many, many differences between the two programs. For instance, Coach Calipari has turned these pro days into a spectacle, inviting ESPNU to broadcast the non-event (http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/uk-basketball-men/article42633501.html). It's crazy that ESPN would allow themselves to become a vehicle for their recruiting like that. I would have a problem if Duke did the same thing.

Second, reading between the lines, it's possible that many NBA execs were contacting the front office about visiting to scout Duke players. This was probably a response to control access to practices so as not to distract from getting the team prepared for the season. Of course, the way Woj wrote the article, it comes off sounding like K is arrogantly dictating access to the poor NBA that may have to fly their executives to out-of-the-way North Carolina to watch some potential players they will undoubtedly spend the next 5 months scouting during the season anyway. How heartless.

I think Cal was absolutely right to get as many front office execs in as possible, and to publicize it as much as possible. I'm curious as to why you'd have a problem with K publicizing it?

Off the court, Duke does the exact same thing every year with its career fairs and events, which are open to students of all years. They try to get as many top-tier businesses to come meet, learn about, and recruit Duke grads as possible. This is a big selling point of the school (and one reason why some measure of post-grad income is included in may top college reports).

Basketball should be no different, and I'm happy to see K adapting quickly here.

KYtotheCore
09-16-2016, 02:40 PM
There are many, many differences between the two programs. For instance, Coach Calipari has turned these pro days into a spectacle, inviting ESPNU

I have to agree with David. With Calipari's UK pro day being broadcasted on ESPNU it had the underlying feel, actually overt feel to me, of a recruiting ploy. If Coach K broadcasts Duke's pro day, then it's the same thing, but I have a feeling that won't be the case.

Food for thought; I remember when OADs and having a pro day was labeled as "slimy" here on the board. Next thing you know . . . here we are. Condemning these types of things has brought about those very things, no?

Billy Dat
09-16-2016, 02:48 PM
Food for thought; I remember when OADs and having a pro day was labeled as "slimy" here on the board. Next thing you know . . . here we are. Things have taken stranger turns, no?

I think this is an important point. We know and value Duke for what the program is, and what we believe it stands for, but we are still talking about college basketball at its highest levels and all that entails. The further you zoom out, we get closer to a "narcissism of small differences" situation.

KYtotheCore
09-16-2016, 03:00 PM
I think this is an important point. We know and value Duke for what the program is, and what we believe it stands for, but we are still talking about college basketball at its highest levels and all that entails. The further you zoom out, we get closer to a "narcissism of small differences" situation.

Nicely put. At the end of the day, any coach wants to succeed. As the saying goes, "Ride the wave of change, or find yourself beneath it."

dukelifer
09-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Just saw a commercial for NBA 2K17 and it highlights the Olympic team and one COLLEGE coach! I know another COLLEGE coach who will not be happy about that!

Ichabod Drain
10-17-2016, 12:22 PM
First Pro Day is this Wednesday the 19th. A little less exciting without Giles but it will still be interesting to hear the reports that come out of this. Mainly how scouts view Jackson and Bolden.

English
10-17-2016, 01:11 PM
First Pro Day is this Wednesday the 19th. A little less exciting without Giles but it will still be interesting to hear the reports that come out of this. Mainly how scouts view Jackson and Bolden.

I'm not sure if it was intentional, and certainly don't mean to single you out, but Jayson Tatum is a higher prospect than either of these two. Perhaps you assume that scouts will rave about his game, and you're more curious about the two you mention. I only mention this because I get the sense around the boards this offseason from folks about Jayson Tatum that I got last offseason about Justise--underestimating his impending impact and potential.

It's absolutely criminal that Giles hasn't been able to participate throughout the offseason, but I think many are sleeping on Tatum being a real prize recruit and dominant contributor this season. The kid is touted as being the best offensive player in an immensely deep and talented class. If he's not on the nat'l All-Freshman Team, something will have gone haywire.

All that said, like you, I'm also eager to hear how the Pro Day goes WRT all our freshmen with the exception of the recovering Giles. I'm also eager to hear how NBA personnel view Grayson, and even Amile, coming out of the workout.

Ichabod Drain
10-17-2016, 01:18 PM
I'm not sure if it was intentional, and certainly don't mean to single you out, but Jayson Tatum is a higher prospect than either of these two. Perhaps you assume that scouts will rave about his game, and you're more curious about the two you mention. I only mention this because I get the sense around the boards this offseason from folks about Jayson Tatum that I got last offseason about Justise--underestimating his impending impact and potential.

It's absolutely criminal that Giles hasn't been able to participate throughout the offseason, but I think many are sleeping on Tatum being a real prize recruit and dominant contributor this season. The kid is touted as being the best offensive player in an immensely deep and talented class. If he's not on the nat'l All-Freshman Team, something will have gone haywire.

All that said, like you, I'm also eager to hear how the Pro Day goes WRT all our freshmen with the exception of the recovering Giles. I'm also eager to hear how NBA personnel view Grayson, and even Amile, coming out of the workout.

Yea my post was under the assumption that Tatum is a sure fire one and done and I expect the scouts to be very impressed with him. He's a top 5 pick. I'm more curious about Bolden and Jackson because I'm still not sure exactly what their chances of going pro after one year are.