PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 9-13-16

jimsumner
09-13-2016, 03:31 PM
Duke always practices hard on Tuesday. What did we learn today?

Still a work in progress, says David Cutcliffe. “You have to find your best on the practice field. I would have liked to have seen us hungrier. We never have bad practices. But we’re inconsistent. Sometimes you think you’re at your best and it isn’t your best. It can be more difficult to handle success than failure.”

A recurring theme is that Cutcliffe isn’t happy with all of his backups. “If I am a two, I’m basically willing to do anything to become a one. Go win the job.”

This isn’t happening. Duke needs to play more people, especially on defense, where Cut wants a true two-deep. But Duke wants guys to “earn snaps" in practice.

Some of this is a function of youth, as players have to learn what it takes to compete at this level.

Running game? Duke should have been able to figure out how to run against Wake Forest. Duke struggled with the ground game early and made the decision at halftime to “spread out more.” Cutcliffe noted that Duke had 19 plays against Wake that resulted in a one-yard gain or less.

The solution could be different formations or personnel changes. But the backup offensive linemen are not pushing the starters. Fixing this might be priority number one.

Place-kicking? Cutcliffe acknowledges that A.J. Reed has “the best upside” but also says there isn’t anyone that has his full confidence right now. He’s concerned with the snap, the hold and the kick and Duke is devoting a lot of time this week on the kicking game.

Tight ends? “Not as prevalent in the route concept.” I think that’s coach speak for “they weren’t open.” Duke also pulled them out of route running to block once it became apparent that Duke was having trouble blocking Wake Forest.

Cut on Jones? Duke asked him to do too much against Wake and he still did a lot of things well. Needs to work on quicker decision making and not be afraid to throw it away when circumstances dictate and the opportunity is there. 2.8 seconds is the key. If nothing good is happening by then, it’s not going to happen. That point will be emphasized with Jones. And emphasized again.

HB2? Cutcliffe referenced Duke’s previous institutional statements on the controversy and indicated that he agreed with them, while adding that he understands the NCAA’s concerns.

DeVon Edwards. “We [the co-captains] just want to lead by showing everybody that sometimes you lose and you’ve got to deal with and prepare for the next game and take it for what it is and make the best you can with the rest of the season. . . . Perfecting our craft and learning from our mistakes and not making them again. . . . We had about five plays that cost us that game and it was on little things and if we go back and correct those little things, we’re going to have a better outcome.”

Edwards says that Ross Cockrell texts the DBs every Friday with suggestions on what they need to do. Once a mother hen, always a mother hen.

Anthony Nash adds “we just shot ourselves in the foot [against Wake]. We had so many penalties, we had missed opportunities, a fumble, just miscues. If we can fix those, we’ll have a really good offense.”

Today’s practice? “More locked in. we were very serious. We focused on our mistakes, focused on Northwestern, working on our game plan.”

Nash dealt with hamstring issues early in his career and is helping Scott Bracey deal with his hamstring problems. “Just don’t rush it. Stay in your playbook and you’ll get a chance so you need to be ready when that chance comes."

Bob Green
09-13-2016, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the notes, Jim. I look forward to your post each and every Tuesday. The situation is going to look much brighter once we beat Northwestern this Saturday evening.

Running game? Duke should have been able to figure out how to run against Wake Forest. Duke struggled with the ground game early and made the decision at halftime to “spread out more.” Cutcliffe noted that Duke had 19 plays against Wake that resulted in a one-yard gain or less.

Cut on Jones? Duke asked him to do too much against Wake and he still did a lot of things well. Needs to work on quicker decision making and not be afraid to throw it away when circumstances dictate and the opportunity is there. 2.8 seconds is the key. If nothing good is happening by then, it’s not going to happen. That point will be emphasized with Jones. And emphasized again.

Today’s practice? “More locked in. we were very serious. We focused on our mistakes, focused on Northwestern, working on our game plan.”

My comments on the three items above:

1. Balance is the key to success so we absolutely must successfully run the ball against Northwestern.

2. Jones is going to be a work in progress so the key is consistent development week-to-week. Jones will make quicker decisions in Week 3.

3. I hope the offensive game plan includes some motion and misdirection plays. Rahming gained six or seven yards on a Jet Sweep (Jones tossed the ball forward to Rahming so the play goes in the Box Score as a completed pass) against Wake Forest the one and only time we ran it. The defensive game plan needs to include better tackling...okay that's not really a game plan that is execution of the game plan.

I walked out of Wallace Wade Stadium with a frown on my face that was still there when I woke up Sunday morning, but a new week is upon us so my optimism has returned in full force. It is all about better execution.

OldPhiKap
09-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Thanks, Jim. Always what I need to know.