PDA

View Full Version : Elton Retires: Sort of.

BD80
09-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Elton Brand has re-signed with the 76ers, which don't have a roster spot available but 3 centers and 4 power forwards under contract:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/sixers-re-sign-17-year-veteran-elton-brand-to-a-one-year-deal/

Elton has announced once or twice that he is retiring.

CameronBornAndBred
09-07-2016, 04:47 PM
Sucks that Duke guys can't make a career of it in the NBA. Especially the bigs.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-07-2016, 05:04 PM
Sucks that Duke guys can't make a career of it in the NBA. Especially the bigs.

Can we still blame Wojo?

NSDukeFan
09-07-2016, 06:09 PM
Can we still blame Wojo?

Until MP2 retires?

Faison1
09-07-2016, 11:36 PM
Elton Brand has re-signed with the 76ers, which don't have a roster spot available but 3 centers and 4 power forwards under contract:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/sixers-re-sign-17-year-veteran-elton-brand-to-a-one-year-deal/

Elton has announced once or twice that he is retiring.

Does anyone know why Elton continues to play?

Love of the game? Brushing up coaching skills? Money? Doesn't want to let go?

I don't think it's to win a championship. And considering their frontcourt, it's not for playing time.

JasonEvans
09-07-2016, 11:49 PM
Does anyone know why Elton continues to play?

Love of the game? Brushing up coaching skills? Money? Doesn't want to let go?

I don't think it's to win a championship. And considering their frontcourt, it's not for playing time.

Maybe he enjoys collecting $1.5 million dollars a year. I think he is largely a coach in uniform at this point, which is fine. He loves the game and being around the players. There is no mandatory retirement age. So long as teams continue to want to pay him more in each paycheck than most of us make in a year, he should continue to play (if he wants to).

-Jason "this may be a sign that the Sixers are going to move one of their young big men -- likely Okafor (giant mistake, I think)" Evans

Faison1
09-08-2016, 12:12 AM
Maybe he enjoys collecting $1.5 million dollars a year. I think he is largely a coach in uniform at this point, which is fine. He loves the game and being around the players. There is no mandatory retirement age. So long as teams continue to want to pay him more in each paycheck than most of us make in a year, he should continue to play (if he wants to).

-Jason "this may be a sign that the Sixers are going to move one of their young big men -- likely Okafor (giant mistake, I think)" Evans

His career earnings are estimated to be $165mm. After tax, $1.5mm turns into $750k. I'm doubting it's about money.

My original question was definitely not meant as a knock. I didn't know if anyone had a backstory as to what Elton is thinking these days.

Olympic Fan
09-08-2016, 12:23 AM
I know that he retired before last season, but after a conversation with Coach K, he returned to the NBA.

I could be wrong, but I think Elton returned to Duke last summer to take some courses. Not sure how close or far he is from a degree (although I will say, that if he ever graduates, I would support his jersey going up in the rafters).

He's had an interesting life -- a two-time NBA all-star, his career suffered when he suffered a torn Achilles (he was never the same afterwards). But he has played a long time, made a lot of money and had an interesting life -- he has a Foundation to help disadvantaged families, mostly around New York. He's also a founding owner of Gibraltar Films -- their first film, Rescue Dawn, was directed by Werner Herzog and won some critical raves ... not sure what they've done since.

cato
09-08-2016, 12:32 AM
His career earnings are estimated to be $165mm. After tax, $1.5mm turns into $750k. I'm doubting it's about money.

My original question was definitely not meant as a knock. I didn't know if anyone had a backstory as to what Elton is thinking these days.

He wrote an article last year about his decision to return, noting that his career did not exactly follow the path he envisioned, and that he was looking forward to mentoring young players (I imagine Jah was front and center in his mind).

I also imagine that the main reason is that he could. How many elite athletes walk away willingly, and how many hang it up when the phone stops ringing?

Or maybe he and Boozer have a bet about who will be the last one drawing a paycheck as a pro.

Edouble
09-08-2016, 09:56 AM

He wrote an article last year about his decision to return, noting that his career did not exactly follow the path he envisioned, and that he was looking forward to mentoring young players (I imagine Jah was front and center in his mind).

I also imagine that the main reason is that he could. How many elite athletes walk away willingly, and how many hang it up when the phone stops ringing?

Or maybe he and Boozer have a bet about who will be the last one drawing a paycheck as a pro.

Yep... essential reading:

https://thecauldron.si.com/because-i-m-not-through-with-this-game-yet-that-s-why-c04382612e71#.dac8p1czw

Faison1
09-08-2016, 08:54 PM
Yep... essential reading:

https://thecauldron.si.com/because-i-m-not-through-with-this-game-yet-that-s-why-c04382612e71#.dac8p1czw

Wow...that was definitely must read. Thanks for sharing. I knew there had to be something more than money.

Always loved Elton...always will. Top 3 all time favorites. Wish he would've stayed longer.

rsvman
09-08-2016, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed the read.