PDA

View Full Version : ACC basketball schedule?

wilson
09-07-2016, 07:55 AM
Apologies for the fact that this has probably already been asked elsewhere, but do we have any intel on when the remainder of this season's basketball schedule (the ACC portion) will be released? It used to come out in mid-August, but it's been creeping later and later in recent years, and we're already a week past last year's release date (the Google seems to indicate that it came out on Sept. 2).
Does anybody know anything?

flyingdutchdevil
09-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Apologies for the fact that this has probably already been asked elsewhere, but do we have any intel on when the remainder of this season's basketball schedule (the ACC portion) will be released? It used to come out in mid-August, but it's been creeping later and later in recent years, and we're already a week past last year's release date (the Google seems to indicate that it came out on Sept. 2).
Does anybody know anything?

HB2 probably creating issues...

Dev11
09-07-2016, 09:25 AM
HB2 probably creating issues...

To be fair, all the fall sports seem to be going on without a hitch, so I doubt this is actually the reason. Hopefully it's coming quite soon.

blazindw
09-07-2016, 11:35 AM
It's probably just TV trying to get all their ducks in a row before announcing the schedule. Also, maybe local Raycom/JP Sports/new ACC Network digital complicating things.

wilson
09-07-2016, 11:58 AM
It's probably just TV trying to get all their ducks in a row before announcing the schedule. Also, maybe local Raycom/JP Sports/new ACC Network digital complicating things.Are you saying that the ACC's ridiculous alphabet soup hodgepodge of broadcast coverage practices makes things more difficult?

Olympic Fan
09-07-2016, 04:23 PM
It's probably just TV trying to get all their ducks in a row before announcing the schedule. Also, maybe local Raycom/JP Sports/new ACC Network digital complicating things.

This is exactly the reason for the delay.

I was in the ACC office today and they are going nuts trying to get the networks to finalize their listings.

I was told that the schedule should be released tomorrow (Thursday) at 3 p.m. ... but it could be Friday or later.

FWIW, last year's schedule was released on Sept, 3 and THAT was the latest ever (it used to be early August, the mid-August, then late August). The schools are complaining -- in many cases, they can't make travel plans until the schedule is finalized. The women's schedule is also being held up by the late men's schedule and that's causing problems.

DukieTiger
09-08-2016, 07:52 AM
This is exactly the reason for the delay.

I was in the ACC office today and they are going nuts trying to get the networks to finalize their listings.

I was told that the schedule should be released tomorrow (Thursday) at 3 p.m. ... but it could be Friday or later.

FWIW, last year's schedule was released on Sept, 3 and THAT was the latest ever (it used to be early August, the mid-August, then late August). The schools are complaining -- in many cases, they can't make travel plans until the schedule is finalized. The women's schedule is also being held up by the late men's schedule and that's causing problems.

For several years in the mid-aughts, it was quite consistently the 3rd Friday in August. I wonder if expansion started that slow drift. Mid September is ridiculously late though, so maybe that will be enough to make some sort of course correction going forward. It's about 2 months til games start!

wilson
09-08-2016, 03:10 PM
I was told that the schedule should be released tomorrow (Thursday) at 3 p.m.WELL?!?!

MChambers
09-08-2016, 03:26 PM
WELL?!?!

That's Pacific time.

Olympic Fan
09-08-2016, 03:27 PM
WELL?!?!

You left off part of my quote. Yes, the plan was to release the schedule today at 3 p.m., but I warned that it might be later. The TV networks (not sure if it is all ESPN or also Raycom) are holding it up. Believe me, the conference office is every bit as anxious as you are to let it go.

flyingdutchdevil
09-08-2016, 03:29 PM
That's Pacific time.

Yeah. I got the memo that ACC stands for Pacific Coast Conference :p

Jokes aside, I do find it assuming that the ACC is really struggling with this. It's gonna make a lot of fans unhappy who like planning to attend games well in advance.

wilson
09-08-2016, 03:46 PM
You left off part of my quote. Yes, the plan was to release the schedule today at 3 p.m., but I warned that it might be later. The TV networks (not sure if it is all ESPN or also Raycom) are holding it up. Believe me, the conference office is every bit as anxious as you are to let it go.I was just joshing you, OF, and I appreciate your inside info. I just agree with several other people here that this is not a good look for the conference.

MChambers
09-08-2016, 06:54 PM
Yeah. I got the memo that ACC stands for Pacific Coast Conference :p

Jokes aside, I do find it assuming that the ACC is really struggling with this. It's gonna make a lot of fans unhappy who like planning to attend games well in advance.

Totally foreseeable result of conference expansion.

Pghdukie
09-08-2016, 07:10 PM
I believe that all on this board are getting antsy for the start of the season. November is on the way !

WiJoe
09-09-2016, 05:09 PM
For gosh sake. Geez. C'mon you espn weasels! (even if it's not all their fault, it makes me feel better to type that)

:cool:

duke2x
09-09-2016, 05:23 PM
Previous experience with TV suggests the following, but don't make your food/hotel/airline reservations.

During NFL playoffs: Most of the BC/Wake/GT/Clemson/@VT group will be here, particularly on the weekend.

February Nielsens: UNC/@Syracuse/@UVA/@Louisville. These are the money games for ESPN next year.

Wildcards: NCSU/Pitt/@ND/Miami/FSU. These can fill in the gaps anywhere. Then there's the grudge match with Bye.

ACC season starts around December 28 depending on how many ACC games are played on 12/31-1/1.

wilson
09-09-2016, 07:21 PM
This is getting to be embarrassing. Obviously no release over the weekend, so we're now up to a full 20 days later than the consistent release date of ~5 years ago. Way to go, ACC.
Have I mentioned that I'm not a fan of the people in Greensboro?
What an insulting joke.

JasonEvans
09-12-2016, 11:09 AM
http://www.theacc.com/news/2016-17-acc-basketball-schedule-09-12-2016

ACC just announced that the schedule would be released at 3pm today.

SCMatt33
09-12-2016, 11:26 AM
http://www.theacc.com/news/2016-17-acc-basketball-schedule-09-12-2016

ACC just announced that the schedule would be released at 3pm today.

In a related story, 15 fan bases are scheduled to gather at 3:01 PM to complain.

Troublemaker
09-12-2016, 11:58 AM
Previous experience with TV suggests the following, but don't make your food/hotel/airline reservations.

During NFL playoffs: Most of the BC/Wake/GT/Clemson/@VT group will be here, particularly on the weekend.

February Nielsens: UNC/@Syracuse/@UVA/@Louisville. These are the money games for ESPN next year.

Wildcards: NCSU/Pitt/@ND/Miami/FSU. These can fill in the gaps anywhere. Then there's the grudge match with Bye.

ACC season starts around December 28 depending on how many ACC games are played on 12/31-1/1.

In a related story, 15 fan bases are scheduled to gather at 3:01 PM to complain.

It does seem pretty likely that Duke's tough road games won't be spread out. I could see them scheduling 3 tough road games in a row or 4 out of 5. We'll see what happens. (In the end, it is what it is, and we'll just have to go play the games and hopefully win.)

SCMatt33
09-12-2016, 03:25 PM
ACC basketball schedule! (http://raycomsports.com/sports_labs_docs/m-baskbl/2016-17_m-baskbl_schedule.pdf?utm_source=all&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=mbb&utm_content=schedule)

Duke's schedule within. (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1845&SPSID=22726)

Duke at Notre Dame for Big Monday on short rest could feature Brey beating Duke *again* and Notre Dame defeating a #1-ranked team at home *again.*

Notre Dame actually has to travel further for that game, since they are at Georgia Tech two days earlier and Duke is only a bus ride from home at Wake. Also, first UNC game on a Thursday. That's different from recent years of my memory serves

Olympic Fan
09-12-2016, 03:31 PM
You pinpoint a toughie -- but Duke is at home (vs. Wake) that Saturday, while Notre Dame has to play at Georgia Tech that Saturday, so both teams will be traveling in that 48 hour span.

Overall, I though it was very fair. The only back-to-back road games are at FSU and at Louisville in Mid-January; at Syracuse and at Miami in mid-February.

Interesting that our ACC opener will be New Year's Eve -- at Virginia Tech (and the Hokies will be very good this season).

I always check to see if we have football conflicts. Fairly clean -- CTC comes on our open Saturday in football.

The opening weekend works out with UNC at Duke in football on Thursday night; Marist at Duke in hoops on Friday and grand Canyon at Duke on Saturday night.

We do have a slight conflict on Nov. 26 -- App State at Duke in hoops at 7 p.m.; Duke at Miami in football ... hoping that will be an afternoon game.

Those are just my first thoughts ... more when I get a longer look at things.

Tripping William
09-12-2016, 03:34 PM
You pinpoint a toughie -- but Duke is at home (vs. Wake) that Saturday, while Notre Dame has to play at Georgia Tech that Saturday, so both teams will be traveling in that 48 hour span.

Overall, I though it was very fair. The only back-to-back road games are at FSU and at Louisville in Mid-January; at Syracuse and at Miami in mid-February.

Interesting that our ACC opener will be New Year's Eve -- at Virginia Tech (and the Hokies will be very good this season).

I always check to see if we have football conflicts. Fairly clean -- CTC comes on our open Saturday in football.

The opening weekend works out with UNC at Duke in football on Thursday night; Marist at Duke in hoops on Friday and grand Canyon at Duke on Saturday night.

We do have a slight conflict on Nov. 26 -- App State at Duke in hoops at 7 p.m.; Duke at Miami in football ... hoping that will be an afternoon game.

Duke is actually here in Switzerland that day, but for a 3:00 p.m. tip, which should make the turnaround to South Bend somewhat easier.

SCMatt33
09-12-2016, 03:47 PM
Also forgot to mention in my earlier post. I really like that opener at Va Tech. Cassel Coliseum is always tough when Duke comes to town, but if you have to go there, noon on New Years Eve doesn't seem like a bad time. Early tip, students on break, Va Tech fans will probably still be thinking about a recent bowl game. It'll be a tough game regardless and I'm sure they'll still fill the place, but hopefully they won't have the same electricity as the last several times we've had to go up there.

MChambers
09-12-2016, 04:03 PM

Some of us complained even before the schedule was released. Bet other schools can't say that!

hallcity
09-12-2016, 04:04 PM

Duke is at WFU on 1/28 and at Notre Dame on 1/30 (http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/4977707.pdf). Much tougher turnaround than what Notre Dame has.

SCMatt33
09-12-2016, 04:18 PM
One more interesting note. Duke's game on New Year's Eve will their first ACC game in December since the Sean Dockery game! I'm sure ESPN will be so kind as to remind everyone of that fact during the broadcast.

Ichabod Drain
09-12-2016, 04:20 PM
Duke is at WFU on 1/28 and at Notre Dame on 1/30 (http://www.goduke.com/pdf9/4977707.pdf). Much tougher turnaround than what Notre Dame has.

I would argue ND has the tougher turnaround since they have to play Duke :cool:

Troublemaker
09-12-2016, 04:21 PM
As of the time of this post, the html version of the schedule on GoDuke (http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1845&SPSID=22726) only lists 17 ACC games (missing the 1/21 bout vs Miami).

The pdf version that Duvall linked has all 18 games, so use that one.

Like others, I'm happy with this schedule.

superdave
09-12-2016, 04:28 PM
I miss the out-of-conference games in January/February......

BLPOG
09-12-2016, 04:41 PM
Notre Dame actually has to travel further for that game, since they are at Georgia Tech two days earlier and Duke is only a bus ride from home at Wake. Also, first UNC game on a Thursday. That's different from recent years of my memory serves

IIRC it's usually a Wednesday.

Troublemaker
09-12-2016, 04:48 PM
Some might prefer this version of the schedule rather than the text-only ones:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CsLOlZlW8AAuyOL.jpg

wilson
09-12-2016, 07:48 PM
Some of us complained even before the schedule was released. Bet other schools can't say that!4G needs updating...
ETA: and I don't mean cell phone service.

MChambers
09-13-2016, 10:12 AM
4G needs updating...
ETA: and I don't mean cell phone service.

And I struggled briefly trying to import the schedule onto my phone, since I won't be using an Outlook calendar in 2017, so that could be refreshed, too!

SCMatt33
09-13-2016, 08:22 PM
So now that there's been a day to digest the schedule itself, I took a closer look at the parts besides who we're playing when, TV. I must say, I'm quite disappointed with the projected TV slate. Since the current ESPN deal took affect in 2011-12, Duke has never had more than 5 total games fail to air nationally (ESPN channels, CBS, etc.) with no more than one of those games online only. Looking at this years slate, that number has skyrocketed to 8 (including 5 ACC games!) and possibly 9, with at least two online only. The first two games seem to be up in the air. Duke lists both tips at 7PM but no network, and the ACC lists no time, but the Grand Canyon game as RSN (my numbers assume RSN and TBD for the two games). Anyway, the first instinct is to see if this happened to everyone and the natural place to look is down the road. They only have 6 non-national games with none online only. ugh.

Looking for clues, I noticed that both Duke and UNC had 4 ACCN games during conference play. Duke had been pretty steady at 2 for the last several years, and you wonder if this is perhaps some makeup games for the impending sub-license buyout when the ESPN backed ACC network launches. As for the nonconferenece portion, most of the increase is due to lack of coverage of the Hall of Fame tip off. The only game that ESPN picked up is the title game, with the semis against Penn State somehow being online only, and the opening round games up in the air. Being in an area unlikely to pick up most ACCN and RSN basketball games, its going to stink to have to watch nearly 30% of Duke's regular season online.

One other interesting note is that neither Duke nor UNC were part of the ACC Sunday night package this year. My first thought was this might have something to do with Big Monday, but UVA has multiple Sunday and Monday games (never together obviously), so that's out. I'd guess then that it has to do with the extra Saturday ACCN games that ESPN had to give up for Duke and UNC and not wanting to move them off of their own Saturday schedules.

KenTankerous
09-13-2016, 08:41 PM
Yes, I live in Louisville. Yes, I got my MS from Speed.

But I am not a Cards' fan.

Yet, I think Slick Rick Pimptino is right: the cards schedule is B R U T A L. I also think that is as it should be. You wanna come knocking boots with THE premier hoops league then you gotta play all the bigs in their yards. For years.

For the Devils, I see the back-to-back road games at FSU and here, then the Cuse/Miami games as the toughest stretches for the 1&Dones, not so much for the rest of the squad.

FWIW - For y'all coming to the Yum Center for the 1-14 game, we have a great food scene here! No good bbq, as y'all are aware, but loads of farm-to-table, great bourbon, fancy saloons, and nice music. Give me a shout if you want some particulars.

KenTankerous
09-13-2016, 09:19 PM
http://angelsenvy.com/

http://www.copperandkings.com/

http://www.harvestlouisville.com/harvest-menu/

http://dishonmarket.com/

And I'll add:

http://www.speedmuseum.org/

http://dragonkingsdaughter.com/

https://www.yelp.com/biz/third-street-dive-louisville