PDA

View Full Version : Props for Ross Cockrell

tfk53
09-06-2016, 11:02 PM
I am a big Steelers fan, dating back to when I moved to the Steel City just as Terry Bradshaw arrived along with a host of others. A wondrous football decade in the 70's.

So, have greatly enjoyed how the Steelers acquired Ross Cockrell from the Bills in 2015 and how he has become a solid part of their secondary.

Below is a link to ESPN article about how the Steelers are trying to replicate that find with Justin Gilbert, a cornerback cast off by Cleveland. In it, Cockrell is mentioned in glowing terms, including "The Steelers tracked Cockrell, a former fourth-round pick, coming out of Duke. Tomlin said Cockrell is "uniquely talented above the neck," helping him crack the lineup in a few weeks notice."

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/20087/steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-doesnt-care-what-happened-to-justin-gilbert-in-cleveland

OldPhiKap
09-06-2016, 11:17 PM
Ross was surely a heady player for us. Good find, thanks for posting it. Love me some Ross!

BD80
09-07-2016, 07:40 AM
I am a big Steelers fan, dating back to when I moved to the Steel City just as Terry Bradshaw arrived along with a host of others. A wondrous football decade in the 70's.

So, have greatly enjoyed how the Steelers acquired Ross Cockrell from the Bills in 2015 and how he has become a solid part of their secondary.

Below is a link to ESPN article about how the Steelers are trying to replicate that find with Justin Gilbert, a cornerback cast off by Cleveland. In it, Cockrell is mentioned in glowing terms, including "The Steelers tracked Cockrell, a former fourth-round pick, coming out of Duke. Tomlin said Cockrell is "uniquely talented above the neck," helping him crack the lineup in a few weeks notice."

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/20087/steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-doesnt-care-what-happened-to-justin-gilbert-in-cleveland

Umm. Gilbert proved to be uniquely lacking in talent above the neck while at Cleveland. Some considered him less mature than Johnny Manzel. Let that sink in for a moment before you get your hopes up too high.

My best case scenario would have Gilbert living with Ross - giving him half of the of his $800,000 roster bonus this year and $1.2 million next year if Ross can keep him on track.

sagegrouse
09-07-2016, 08:50 AM
Umm. Gilbert proved to be uniquely lacking in talent above the neck while at Cleveland. Some considered him less mature than Johnny Manzel. Let that sink in for a moment before you get your hopes up too high.

My best case scenario would have Gilbert living with Ross - giving him half of the of his $800,000 roster bonus this year and $1.2 million next year if Ross can keep him on track.

From the horse's mouth:

“I missed a whole bunch of meetings last year,” the No. 8 pick in the 2014 NFL Draft said. “I wasn’t saying that then, but that’s exactly what it was. I was a hard sleeper and I wasn’t used to waking up consistently like that early in the morning.”

In Cleveland’s season finale Sunday [end of 2015 season], he was on the field for eight snaps... [and] [s]urprisingly, Gilbert didn’t blame the coaching staff for his inactivity.

“I think they were still basing stuff off last year, and that’s on me because I was missing like tons of meetings,” said Gilbert, who had four tackles and no interceptions in nine games this season[2015]. “I’m not 100 percent sure why I wasn’t out there, other than when I came back from nagging injuries, they liked the guys who were in there, so there weren’t any changes made.” From his own words, Justin Gilbert is the polar opposite of Ross Cockrell.

Dev11
09-07-2016, 09:27 AM
Tomlin said Cockrell is "uniquely talented above the neck,"

We are discussing Ross's former all-ACC afro, right?

tfk53
09-07-2016, 11:29 PM

No question that I wondered about this trade in picking up a malcontent. If you can't get on the field for Cleveland, then what are your chances elsewhere? But, I have watched Tomlin closely in his years as a head coach. If anyone can turn Gilbert into a respectable and dependable NFLer, then it is Mike Tomlin. He obviously sees potential that is worth the gamble. I imagine Gilbert has been explicitly told his leash is very short. Tomlin has a track record of not putting up with much bull. So far, Gilbert is saying the right things and doing the right things - unlike Manzel. Gilbert will get a much better clubhouse atmosphere and role models in Pittsburgh - especially Cockrell. If it works, super. If not, down another low draft pick. My hopes are not high at all. Was mostly glad to see such positive remarks about Cockrell.

Your financial incentive for Ross is an interesting idea, tho. Would it pass the NFLPA??

BD80
09-19-2016, 02:12 PM
Ross is getting major props in the Steelers' defensive effort against the Bengals, he had chief responsibility for AJ Green, who was held to 2 catches for 38 yards. The rain helped too.