PDA

View Full Version : Other people's football -- 2016 college edition

OldPhiKap
09-01-2016, 08:45 PM
Okay, an outlet for interesting games going on. Jinx or no jinx as you deem fit.

Appalachian State up over Tennessee, at Neyland, late second quarter. SEC network where I live. Folks getting antsy in Knoxville.

(And if Duke is going to grow its football culture, I respectfully suggest this is not an "off topic" subject FWIW).

Olympic Fan
09-01-2016, 08:47 PM
Okay, an outlet for interesting games going on. Jinx or no jinx as you deem fit.

Appalachian State up over Tennessee, at Neyland, late second quarter. SEC network where I live. Folks getting antsy in Knoxville.

I've been watching on the SEC Network ... one interesting ACC-related point. In two weeks, Mark Richt takes his Miami Hurricanes to Boone for a game with App State.

OldPhiKap
09-01-2016, 08:48 PM
I've been watching on the SEC Network ... one interesting ACC-related point. In two weeks, Mark Richt takes his Miami Hurricanes to Boone for a game with App State.

Interesting. Cannot imagine why Miami would agree to play there. Nothing good can come of it.

sagegrouse
09-01-2016, 08:49 PM
Interesting. Cannot imagine why Miami would agree to play there. Nothing good can come of it.

Cool weather?

devildeac
09-01-2016, 08:59 PM

Depends on which set of refs they have with them. :mad:

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-01-2016, 09:02 PM
Halftime Louisville 56 Charlotte 0
Midway through 2nd quarter Vandy over South Carolina 10 to 0

OldPhiKap
09-01-2016, 10:45 PM
App State and Tennessee tied, under a minute and Apo State driving . . . .

OldPhiKap
09-01-2016, 10:49 PM
Poor clock management by App. St., going to OT

Olympic Fan
09-01-2016, 11:10 PM
Poor clock management by App. St., going to OT

Tennessee survives 20-13 in OT.

I agree with Old Phi Kap -- poor clock management at the end by ASU. Then again, they would have needed a FG from a freshman kicker who had already missed an extra point and a field goal.

Tennessee got lucky in OT ... their QB fumbled into the end zone, but the Vols won a scramble for the ball ... for what proved to be the winning TD.

Also, South Carolina has rallied to tie Vandy late -- the Commodores just missed a mid-range field goal with under three minutes left.

OldPhiKap
09-01-2016, 11:19 PM
Wow, Gamecocks with a 55-yarder to pull ahead under a minute.

OldPhiKap
09-01-2016, 11:27 PM
Kurt Roper got it done in the second half for the 'Cocks tonight.

YmoBeThere
09-02-2016, 06:47 AM
Kurt Roper got it done in the second half for the 'Cocks tonight.

Boooooo! Vandy did nothing productive on offense when it mattered. Very poor passing game and decent rushing game.

Tripping William
09-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Baylor off to a Briles-like fast start against future Duke opponent Northwestern. 24-0 in the second quarter in Waco.

DU82
09-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Baylor off to a Briles-like fast start against future Duke opponent Northwestern. 24-0 in the second quarter in Waco.

Northwestern State.

Tripping William
09-02-2016, 09:24 PM
Northwestern State.

D'oh! I'm an idiot. Although the ESPN app I was using showed the "N" logo earlier in the week. I was surprised it wasn't being televised. No wonder. In the immortal words of Rick Perry: "Ooops!"

-jk
09-03-2016, 12:04 AM
Northwestern State.

Quite the anonymous directional!

-jk

brevity
09-03-2016, 01:47 AM
Northwestern State.

Quite the anonymous directional!

Yeah, "Northwestern State" sounds like a fake university from a movie, or a pair of descriptors without a noun. It's like holding a prestigious golf tournament and calling it the "Open Championship".

You can find it in Natchitoches, Louisiana, significantly southeast of Shreveport. Now you know, and you didn't have to learn the hard way, like 3-seeded Iowa men's basketball, circa 2006 (http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/031706aai.html).

DU82
09-03-2016, 03:13 PM
Regarding the Northwestern that's on our schedule, they're about to go down to Western Michigan.

Regarding other future opponents, Army beat Temple. and GT held on to be BC in Ireland.

sagegrouse
09-03-2016, 03:24 PM
Regarding the Northwestern that's on our schedule, they're about to go down to Western Michigan.

Regarding other future opponents, Army beat Temple. and GT held on to be BC in Ireland.

I watched much of Northwestern vs. Western Michigan in Evanston. WMU won on a fluke play that could have been overturned. Northwestern was driving for a score, when the ball was stripped on about the one-yard-line and bounced into the end zone and then out of bounds. The WMU safety sought to save it by throwing it back on the field*** where it was recovered by Northwestern. But the officials ruled that his foot hit the ground first. Replay looked conclusive to me that the ball was in the air before his foot landed, but the initial ruling was upheld. If the ruling had been reversed, it would have been a Northwestern touchdown and produced a 22-21 lead for the Wildcats. Instead, WMU got the ball on a touchback and ran out the clock.

*** Why the heck was the guy trying to save the ball?

chrishoke
09-03-2016, 04:06 PM
Richmond beating Virginia 6-0 after one.

Tripping William
09-03-2016, 04:10 PM
First big upset of the season: #3 Oklahoma goes down to #15 Houston. Big Game Bob indeed.

chrishoke
09-03-2016, 04:10 PM
Make that 13-0 Richmond over the Cavs in the 2nd qtr.

JasonEvans
09-03-2016, 04:18 PM
First big upset of the season: #3 Oklahoma goes down to #15 Houston. Big Game Bob indeed.

That game is going to prove to be very problematic for the BCS powers that be. Houston doesn't have many other tough games on their schedule. Louisville is the only other currently ranked team they play. Very likely Houston will go undefeated and it would be pretty much impossible to keep them out of the 4-team playoff if they are undefeated.

A couple 1-loss SEC, B10, P10, ACC, or B12 champs are gonna get left out and it is going to be borderline impossible for any conference to get 2 teams into the playoff. Could be messy!

-Jason "I like messy because it makes an 8-team playoff more likely... and I think 8 is the ideal number" Evans

Tripping William
09-03-2016, 04:23 PM
That game is going to prove to be very problematic for the BCS powers that be. Houston doesn't have many other tough games on their schedule. Louisville is the only other currently ranked team they play. Very likely Houston will go undefeated and it would be pretty much impossible to keep them out of the 4-team playoff if they are undefeated.

A couple 1-loss SEC, B10, P10, ACC, or B12 champs are gonna get left out and it is going to be borderline impossible for any conference to get 2 teams into the playoff. Could be messy!

-Jason "I like messy because it makes an 8-team playoff more likely... and I think 8 is the ideal number" Evans

Not if OU completely tanks. That Houston schedule is really bad. And there's a LOOOOONG season ahead.

DukeTrinity11
09-03-2016, 05:53 PM
I've been very impressed with the Big 10 so far sans MSU. Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State and Wisconsin all look really, really good.

Meanwhile Duke's schedule is looking softer and softer by the minute based on the play of Northwestern, Wake Forest, UVA, Pitt, GT and VT. Of course, we"ll see how our Devils look in just about 10 minutes. Hopefully they can take care of business!!

Wander
09-03-2016, 07:39 PM
Holy crap, that was the cheapest of cheap shots by LSU.

BandAlum83
09-03-2016, 08:36 PM
Living in Atlanta for 25 years I am sick of hearing about UGA and the SEC. The ACC gets very little respect here.

It makes me really torn as I check in on the UNC/UGA game. It seems to be an exciting game, but can't they both lose?

diablesseblu
09-03-2016, 10:01 PM
Make that 13-0 Richmond over the Cavs in the 2nd qtr.

UVA was just ugly in that game. Wonder of Bronco Mendenhall is having "buyers remorse"?

Isaac Sours
09-03-2016, 10:19 PM

Whoever did that should be suspended for the season. I literally yelled at the screen when I saw that. It's childish and dangerous.

A-Tex Devil
09-03-2016, 10:26 PM
The College Football Belt is at risk to an FCS team!

http://collegefootballbelt.com/

Pghdukie
09-03-2016, 10:37 PM
The USC player kicking an Alabama player right in the family jewels while he was down was pretty low also. Automatic ejection.

NashvilleDevil
09-03-2016, 11:02 PM
Before the season Nebraska punter Sam Foltz was killed in a car accident along with former Michigan St punter Mike Sadler. Tonight is Nebraska's opening game and the video below is what Nebraska did to honor Foltz on their first punt formation of the season.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sYf0vYkUtyA

Avvocato
09-03-2016, 11:12 PM
Before the season Nebraska punter Sam Foltz was killed in a car accident along with former Michigan St punter Mike Sadler. Tonight is Nebraska's opening game and the video below is what Nebraska did to honor Foltz on their first punt formation of the season.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=sYf0vYkUtyA

Thanks for posting. Great video.

Faison1
09-03-2016, 11:26 PM
UVA was just ugly in that game. Wonder of Bronco Mendenhall is having "buyers remorse"?

I'm just glad we don't play Richmond anymore. They must love playing ACC teams.

Seeing that score is no surprise to me. I guess the only shocker is that UVA was expecting so much more this year.

DU82
09-04-2016, 12:52 AM
Checking on our future opponents:

Wake looked bad, although they did beat Tulane. Northwestern lost to a directional team (although a good one.) Army looked better than expected, beating a Temple team that won ten last year. And Virginia didn't learn from us, losing to Richmond. GT barely beat BC, but given the travel not sure how to read that.

Louisville and Miami dominated, and Pitt handled Nova (welcome back James Conner.) VT started slow, but recovered well in beating Liberty. Notre Dame plays tomorrow, and a bunch of cheaters suffered what hopefully will be their first of twelve losses.

And...speculating on our last three opponents, Clemson held on (up six, kick a field goal!) Alabama started slow but then dominated USC, and Stanford looked good beating Kansas State. ;)

budwom
09-04-2016, 09:13 AM
I'm just glad we don't play Richmond anymore. They must love playing ACC teams.

Seeing that score is no surprise to me. I guess the only shocker is that UVA was expecting so much more this year.

VA rushing 21 times for 38 yards was not impressive

Reilly
09-04-2016, 09:45 AM
Good Daily Press article on the Richmond / UVA game. ACC had won 68 straight over FCS since Duke lost to UR in 2011. Virginia late scores prevented historic margin of victory for FCS over FBS. Didn't realize JMU beat Virginia in Welsh's first game in 1982.

budwom
09-04-2016, 12:55 PM
Good Daily Press article on the Richmond / UVA game. ACC had won 68 straight over FCS since Duke lost to UR in 2011. Virginia late scores prevented historic margin of victory for FCS over FBS. Didn't realize JMU beat Virginia in Welsh's first game in 1982.

I still hate VA because of George Welsh*...maybe I should let that go since it's been a few decades. If there is a Picklepuss Hall of Fame for college hoops,
Welsh and Paul Johnson are charter inductees.

*some of his admissions shenanigans were very shady

Olympic Fan
09-04-2016, 01:17 PM
The biggest upset of the day -- in terms of overcoming the odds of winning the game -- was South Alabama's win at Mississippi State.

The SEC had a very tough opening weekend, losing six games -- LSU, Auburn, Mississippi State, Missouri, Kentucky and Vanderbilt (although the last one was to another SEC school, South Carolina). I heard the that last night, that it's the first time six SEC schools lost on the first weekend since 1995. And it could be seven -- they sill have Ole Miss vs. FSU in Orlando Monday night.

And it's not just the losses. You still have Tennessee having to go OT to beat App State and Arkansas' on-point win over Louisiana Tech.

The SEC did collect three quality wins -- Texas A&M over UCLA, Alabama over Southern Cal and Georgia over UNC. Ole Miss has a chance to make that four Wednesday night.

I often rip the SEC for its scheduling, but I have to give them credit this time -- LSU, Auburn an Missouri all lost to P5 opponents ... Texas A&M, Alabama and Georgia all beat P5 foes (although all of those were at home ... except for Georgia's win in "neutral" Atlanta).

The ACC is 9-2 outside the league, but just 1-1 vs. P5. It will be either 2-1 or 1-2 after Monday night.

We'll get more chances next week -- UNC at Illinois, Virginia at Oregon (0-2 start for Bronco), VPI-Tennessee in Bristol and Pitt vs. Pedo State

Atlanta Duke
09-04-2016, 10:10 PM

The USC player kicking an Alabama player right in the family jewels while he was down was pretty low also. Automatic ejection.

Both those replays made an appearance today in an ESPN video on "worst cheap shots in sports"

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=17466267

Guess which returning college basketball player was featured twice in that one minute video

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-04-2016, 11:22 PM
Texas clempsunned.

OldPhiKap
09-04-2016, 11:31 PM
Pulling for a meteor right now.

Isaac Sours
09-04-2016, 11:47 PM
Both those replays made an appearance today in an ESPN video on "worst cheap shots in sports"

Guess which returning college basketball player was featured twice in that one minute video

Look, I don't approve of what Grayson did, but it has no business being mentioned in the same discussion as that blindside. Tripping isn't even a cheap shot, it's more like a dirty play. Shots imply heavy contact.

But ESPN needs to stir the drama pot... good to see everyone still can't stop talking about Duke basketball!

Olympic Fan
09-04-2016, 11:56 PM
Great finish to a great college football weekend -- Texas d. Notre Dame 50-47 in 2OT

The weekend started for me Thursday night with App State taking Tennessee into OT.

On Friday, I enjoyed Stanford-Kansas State in a pretty competitive game (plus some of Army upsetting Temple)

I wake up Saturday and watch a great down-to-the wire game from Ireland as Georgia Tech edges BC.

At midday, I watch Wisconsin upset LSU. A little later, I enjoy Duke's romp in the opener (at the same time as the Cheaters are choking in Atlanta). I get home and watch second half of Clemson-Auburn as they go to the wire.

Then tonight, a wild game from Austin -- Notre Dame rallies from a 31-14 deficit to take the lead, only to have Texas score with 3:29 left to go up 37-35. But the extra point is blocked and returned 100 yards for two points and a 37-all tie.

Just great, great football. And it' not over. We've got FSU-Ole Miss Monday night. Wow!

devildeac
09-05-2016, 12:00 AM
Great finish to a great college football weekend -- Texas d. Notre Dame 50-47 in 2OT

The weekend started for me Thursday night with App State taking Tennessee into OT.

On Friday, I enjoyed Stanford-Kansas State in a pretty competitive game (plus some of Army upsetting Temple)

I wake up Saturday and watch a great down-to-the wire game from Ireland as Georgia Tech edges BC.

At midday, I watch Wisconsin upset LSU. A little later, I enjoy Duke's romp in the opener (at the same time as the Cheaters are choking in Atlanta). I get home and watch second half of Clemson-Auburn as they go to the wire.

Then tonight, a wild game from Austin -- Notre Dame rallies from a 31-14 deficit to take the lead, only to have Texas score with 3:29 left to go up 37-35. But the extra point is blocked and returned 100 yards for two points and a 37-all tie.

Just great, great football. And it' not over. We've got FSU-Ole Miss Monday night. Wow!

I almost ran out of beer watching that game tonight with Mrs. dd, our daughter and her husband. :o

A-Tex Devil
09-05-2016, 01:32 AM
Was at UT-Notre Dame game tonight --- probably best football game I've ever been to live, passing 1994 Duke-UNC (which turned out badly). What a crazy game. I love, love, love Charlie Strong and hope that this is the start to a similar third season as his third season at Louisville.

sagegrouse
09-05-2016, 08:44 AM
Was at UT-Notre Dame game tonight --- probably best football game I've ever been to live, passing 1994 Duke-UNC (which turned out badly). What a crazy game. I love, love, love Charlie Strong and hope that this is the start to a similar third season as his third season at Louisville.

Oh my! Notre Dame has the lead and the ball with about seven minutes left to go. The Irish had a four-point lead, 35-31, and had scored 21 points in the second half. So -- altogether now -- Brian Kelly takes the air out of the ball and runs two desultory series of plays before punting with about four minutes left. Gimme a break! You can't play that way, especially on the road, and expect to win!

Notre Dame should have then lost in regulation, but Texas made its own coaching blunder. Texas didn't have the right personnel on the field for the extra point to go up 38-35. Instead of the Horns' coaches calling time out, they persevered. The kick was blocked and Notre Dame returned it for a two-point play, tying the game at 37-37.

PDDuke85
09-05-2016, 08:50 AM
That's a hell of a Connette package Texas has.

weezie
09-05-2016, 09:39 AM
I happily take a back seat to any and all football experts, it's not my strong suit but even I was flabbergasted at that game after I caught the last few regulation minutes and beyond. Husband-of-weezie had drifted off to dreamland and wasn't there to point out every action in the secondary, etc, etc.
The "Eighteen Wheeler" indeed!

Always fun to see nd get a spank.

Saratoga2
09-05-2016, 10:41 AM

I am not a Notre Dame Alum, but one play in particular stood out. That one was the hit on Tori Hunter Jr. in the end zone that left him with a concussion. If that hit wasn't targeting, then I don't know what is. The way the announcer described it was that on hits of that type, a ref in the booth could make the call of targeting, even after the play was over. It is understandable that the refs on the field might not have seen it occur as things are congested in there and things happen so quickly. If college, Pro and even HS and below football is to survive and prosper, then the vicious and illegal hits need to be called. A severe concussion can stay with a player for life. I would have awarded a 15 yard penalty and ejected that player who targeted from the game. Instead nothing was done. Lets get the cheap shot artists out of the game. The next concussion could be to one of our kids. It is a dangerous enough game played legally, but to condone obvious breeches of the rules is ridiculous.

gurufrisbee
09-05-2016, 11:36 AM

That collection of videos was terrible. Some of them were clear thug violence and some of them were accidents. I closed fist, intentional punch at a guy or an elbow shot at the midsection of a totally exposed and vulnerable guy going up for a layoff aren't in the same realm at all as getting pushed in to another a guy or having them trip over your leg when you've already been knocked down. That's just stupid.

I'm very curious to see if the LSU guy makes a convincing argument that he thought the play wasn't over.

jimsumner
09-05-2016, 11:39 AM
I am not a Notre Dame Alum, but one play in particular stood out. That one was the hit on Tori Hunter Jr. in the end zone that left him with a concussion. If that hit wasn't targeting, then I don't know what is. The way the announcer described it was that on hits of that type, a ref in the booth could make the call of targeting, even after the play was over. It is understandable that the refs on the field might not have seen it occur as things are congested in there and things happen so quickly. If college, Pro and even HS and below football is to survive and prosper, then the vicious and illegal hits need to be called. A severe concussion can stay with a player for life. I would have awarded a 15 yard penalty and ejected that player who targeted from the game. Instead nothing was done. Lets get the cheap shot artists out of the game. The next concussion could be to one of our kids. It is a dangerous enough game played legally, but to condone obvious breeches of the rules is ridiculous.

Very much agree on the hit on Hunter. Why have the rules if you're not going to enforce them? A vicious, brutal hit that should have resulted in a flag and an ejection.

The botched PAT? You don't even have to burn a timeout. Just let the play clock hit zero--it almost did--take the five-yard penalty, regroup and kick the still-easy extra point. Why panic?

gurufrisbee
09-05-2016, 11:49 AM
My grandparents were season ticket holders for University of Washington, so my dad likes to say he grew up in Husky Stadium. We have been going to a game a year there for about fifteen years now because he likes it (even though neither of us went there). He is retired and lives most of the year in Mexico, but this last year he had a mild stroke and is spending more time up in Spokane for health reasons. Of course being up here all fall convinced him to get tickets for three games this year. He buys the tickets and unfortunately got us some nose bleeds, but it was a light crowd, so we upgraded in the second quarter to some empty closer ones. It was a cool scene. We were coming back with some food and he was struggling to do the steps and carry his food, so I grabbed his food from him and then fans for the next several rows offered him a hand on each step - including some Rutgers fans there too. Cool stuff.

And the Huskies dominated. There is a lot of buzz around here for this team returning most of the starters from a really good defense and a young but promising offense. We have sophomores at QB and RB who have people very excited in Browning and Gaskins. But the best part of saturday was John Ross. Three years ago he was a freshman WR and KR with great speed. But terrible hands. Sophomore year they actually moved him to CB because of a shortage we had there. Ended up with 7 TD's that season - averaging 75 yards per play on those.

Then he tore his ACL in spring. Missed his entire junior year (redshirted).

So this was his first game back. Would he have his speed back? Well, in the first quarter alone he caught two TD passes of 38 and 50 yards. And in the 2nd quarter he took a kickoff 92 yards for his 3rd TD of the game. I don't know if his hands are all that much better, but the speed is definitely still there. GO DAWGS!

devildeac
09-05-2016, 01:00 PM

Our family was aghast that wasn't the call/penalty/ejection you described above. I've got a fair understanding of the rules but I thought something like that was reviewable.

Atlanta Duke
09-05-2016, 02:59 PM
I'm very curious to see if the LSU guy makes a convincing argument that he thought the play wasn't over.

Convincing enough that Les Miles will only impose a one game suspension for the crucial Jacksonville State game, with which the SEC concurs.

"Josh made a mistake," Miles said in a statement. "Even though this was done by mistake, a play like this does not belong in the game of football and therefore action must be taken. The play does not define Josh as a person and is not indicative of the type of player he is. We sincerely apologize for his mistake."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2016/09/05/lsu-les-miles-suspends-josh-boutte-late-hit-d-cota-dixon-wisconsin-loss/89883294/

Tom B.
09-05-2016, 04:05 PM
Virginia at Oregon (0-2 start for Bronco)

Given what we saw from Virginia on Saturday, next week could get ugly for the Cavs.

OldPhiKap
09-05-2016, 09:36 PM
I am sure that FSUtheoretically could have started worse. I just can't articulate how.

What a brutal half.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-05-2016, 10:03 PM
I am sure that FSUtheoretically could have started worse. I just can't articulate how.

What a brutal half.

Important TD at the end of the half, they get the ball first. Huge possession to start the second half. Big half for the ACC.

johnb
09-05-2016, 10:25 PM
Convincing enough that Les Miles will only impose a one game suspension for the crucial Jacksonville State game, with which the SEC concurs.

"Josh made a mistake," Miles said in a statement. "Even though this was done by mistake, a play like this does not belong in the game of football and therefore action must be taken. The play does not define Josh as a person and is not indicative of the type of player he is. We sincerely apologize for his mistake."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2016/09/05/lsu-les-miles-suspends-josh-boutte-late-hit-d-cota-dixon-wisconsin-loss/89883294/

If you are disillusioned, you were illusioned in the first place.

Football in the SEC is swamp infested, without the romantic imagery of swamps. I wouldn't want a single play to define someone, but the hit should have led to consequences beyond suspension for a meaningless game. The fact that LSU will do anything to win, however, shouldn't surprise. And LSU isn't alone. The fact that Cutcliffe emerged from a career within that conference as a fundamentally decent human being is a testament to the reality that the creation of honest, high performing relationships can trump seedy machiavellianism.

OldPhiKap
09-05-2016, 10:58 PM
Important TD at the end of the half, they get the ball first. Huge possession to start the second half. Big half for the ACC.

Good call Mtn. FSU opened up the can of whoop 'em to run off 30 straight points.

Still a lot of time in this one.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-05-2016, 11:06 PM

Um, like I said?

OldPhiKap
09-06-2016, 08:01 AM
Um, like I said?

Good call. FSU put the wood to the Rebs in the second half.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-06-2016, 09:44 AM
Good call. FSU put the wood to the Rebs in the second half.

Yeah, I tured it off before the end, but that freshman QB has some wheels, doesn't he?

A-Tex Devil
09-06-2016, 11:30 AM
Yeah, I tured it off before the end, but that freshman QB has some wheels, doesn't he?

Crazy, since Manziel, how successful Freshmen QBs have become. You had Winston immediately after him, and now just this year:

Francoise at FSU
Buechele at Texas
Eason at Georgia
Hurts at Alabama

That's just 4 off the top of my head, and of course, it's only one game -- so that could cut both ways by 2 months from now.

Seems like the passing offenses in high school (especially the Art Briles/Todd Dodge/Chad Morris disciples in Texas) and the way 7 on 7s have become an AAU circuit have prepared these guys a lot more for the college game. What's interesting, though, is that it also seems like there are a lot more transfers at the QB position than there used to be as a result of the "next great program savior" demanding playing time as a freshmen. That can become a problem, like at Texas A&M. And coaches on the hot seat who can't stay the course will find themselves with much quicker hooks on established, yet not elite, QBs when they have a freshmen phenom waiting in the wings.

gotoguy
09-06-2016, 08:18 PM
Shout out to my nephew who is the starting center for the Spiders and their dominating win over the hoos, first since 1947

A-Tex Devil
09-10-2016, 03:49 PM
End of Okie St/C Michigan game is a worse end of game ref screw up than 5th down and our Miami game last year. Crazy last play for CMU to win that shouldn't have been allowed.

loran16
09-10-2016, 07:05 PM
Northwestern lost to Illinois state today so next week will be two teams coming off embarrassing losses

Eternal Outlaw
09-10-2016, 08:33 PM
End of Okie St/C Michigan game is a worse end of game ref screw up than 5th down and our Miami game last year. Crazy last play for CMU to win that shouldn't have been allowed.

Probably nit picky to say one is worse than the other but I'd still say Duke/Miami was worse. Each had a bad ref screw up but in one case the team that should have won still had a play to do so and was the huge favorite to win still, in the other they did not. Feel bad for Okie St but if they defend a hail mary play they still win, Duke did not have that luxury.

Safe to say that given a choice, teams would chose the Okie St post ref screw up over the Duke one.

Avvocato
09-10-2016, 09:48 PM
Well, I try not to overreact to Week 1, and similarly try not to overreact to Week 2. As most remember, most predicted we would be around 6-6, give or take a game. Before the season, I thought we needed to be at least 4-2 going into the second half. However, the games we had to win included Wake. Again, you don't overreact to one week, as much as this loss really stings. Hopefully it's a reality check but you don't start jumping ship. Thankfully, Northwestern has not played well yet. This makes the Northwestern game the most important game of the season. A win there, we can go into ND at 2-1 and be okay. Regardless, we see that this team is young, is talented, but still putting it together.

As for the Wake game in general, I was surprised that we basically abandoned the running game. Even if Wake is stout up front, you have to still run and balance the attack. If anything, it showed the confidence the coaches have in Jones to keep throwing that way. We still need balance though. I was also surprised to see the tight ends out of the offense. Not sure if that was Wake's D, or what. I still think Jones played well considering it's his second start and what he was asked to do. He just needs some help with the running attack. He still has plenty of room to grow, but still lots to like. Also great pass on the long completion. Too bad we couldn't capitalize.

The missed kicks didn't help, but I'll optimistically chalk those up to freshmen nerves. The kicks looked solid enough just right. My son distracted me so I missed a botched hold mentioned above. What you hope doesn't happen is a confidence problem. When that goes for a kicker, that s hard to beat. Hope he gets a few easy ones next week to get it going.

Well, very tough loss. As several said before the game, Wake could be dangerous but with our difficult schedule was one of the games we needed to win. Didn't happen, so it means Northwestern is a must game if this team is going to try to make a bowl. Let's go get Northwestern and we'll figure out the rest.

Avvocato
09-10-2016, 09:51 PM
Well, I try not to overreact to Week 1, and similarly try not to overreact to Week 2. As most remember, most predicted we would be around 6-6, give or take a game. Before the season, I thought we needed to be at least 4-2 going into the second half. However, the games we had to win included Wake. Again, you don't overreact to one week, as much as this loss really stings. Hopefully it's a reality check but you don't start jumping ship. Thankfully, Northwestern has not played well yet. This makes the Northwestern game the most important game of the season. A win there, we can go into ND at 2-1 and be okay. Regardless, we see that this team is young, is talented, but still putting it together.

As for the Wake game in general, I was surprised that we basically abandoned the running game. Even if Wake is stout up front, you have to still run and balance the attack. If anything, it showed the confidence the coaches have in Jones to keep throwing that way. We still need balance though. I was also surprised to see the tight ends out of the offense. Not sure if that was Wake's D, or what. I still think Jones played well considering it's his second start and what he was asked to do. He just needs some help with the running attack. He still has plenty of room to grow, but still lots to like. Also great pass on the long completion. Too bad we couldn't capitalize.

The missed kicks didn't help, but I'll optimistically chalk those up to freshmen nerves. The kicks looked solid enough just right. My son distracted me so I missed a botched hold mentioned above. What you hope doesn't happen is a confidence problem. When that goes for a kicker, that s hard to beat. Hope he gets a few easy ones next week to get it going.

Well, very tough loss. As several said before the game, Wake could be dangerous but with our difficult schedule was one of the games we needed to win. Didn't happen, so it means Northwestern is a must game if this team is going to try to make a bowl. Let's go get Northwestern and we'll figure out the rest.

*Edit* Realized this was posted in the wrong thread. My bad. Please ignore.

DU82
09-10-2016, 10:42 PM
Arkansas, at TCU, gave up a TD with about two minutes to go. But the TCU QB, who, scored, does the throat slash, meaning a kickoff from the 20. Arkansas marches right down field to score. Needing the two point conversion, they call a double reverse pass by the WR to the QB. That OC has some stones.

While I was typing, TCU runs the KO back to the UA 25, then throws a TD which is nullified by the receiver going out of bounds on his own. Then, UA blocks the FG attempt, so it's now OT.

My brother is probably having a heart attack in the stands right now.

Isaac Sours
09-10-2016, 10:52 PM
Arkansas, at TCU, gave up a TD with about two minutes to go. But the TCU QB, who, scored, does the throat slash, meaning a kickoff from the 20. Arkansas marches right down field to score. Needing the two point conversion, they call a double reverse pass by the WR to the QB. That OC has some stones.

While I was typing, TCU runs the KO back to the UA 25, then throws a TD which is nullified by the receiver going out of bounds on his own. Then, UA blocks the FG attempt, so it's now OT.

My brother is probably having a heart attack in the stands right now.

A) can we borrow their OC.

B) the NCAA is the most prudish organization since the actual Pilgrims. Penalties for throat slashing?? really??

DU82
09-10-2016, 11:06 PM
A) can we borrow their OC.

B) the NCAA is the most prudish organization since the actual Pilgrims. Penalties for throat slashing?? really??

That rule has been in place for a while.

UA wins in 2OT with a Connette like QB run.

Any of our MDs know a cardiologist in Fort Worth?

Isaac Sours
09-10-2016, 11:30 PM
That rule has been in place for a while.

Don't get me wrong, I know it's been a rule. I just love complaining about it every time it pops up.

A-Tex Devil
09-11-2016, 01:04 AM
Probably nit picky to say one is worse than the other but I'd still say Duke/Miami was worse. Each had a bad ref screw up but in one case the team that should have won still had a play to do so and was the huge favorite to win still, in the other they did not. Feel bad for Okie St but if they defend a hail mary play they still win, Duke did not have that luxury.

Safe to say that given a choice, teams would chose the Okie St post ref screw up over the Duke one.

Disagree. Our game last year was in-play call failures. The officials in the Okie St game today made a dead ball decision that was binary. End of game, or one more offensive play. They made up a rule since they did t know the rule. CMU got another play and the rest is history. But Okie St deserves it for reasons I won't get into.

Eternal Outlaw
09-11-2016, 01:46 AM
Disagree. Our game last year was in-play call failures. The officials in the Okie St game today made a dead ball decision that was binary. End of game, or one more offensive play. They made up a rule since they did t know the rule. CMU got another play and the rest is history. But Okie St deserves it for reasons I won't get into.

Duke was in play and post play failures. They reviewed and missed being down, they seemed to review a block in the back despite not being able to though I think they denied that after the fact.

I may have misheard what happened today but my understanding is they applied a rule but missed it had an exception for this situation, not they made up a rule.

And the bottom line is Duke had no chance to win once they completed the blunder of errors. Today, Okie St still had a chance to win and it was hugely in their odds. Run that situation 99 more times and we likely saw the only successful attempt. Ok, these are college kids and not pros so maybe jack that up to 4 more successful attempts or 5% in total? 95%, 99%, whatever it is, Okie State was still in the drivers seat to win post official error instead of 100%. Duke went from 100% to 0%. Okie State lost on an exception to the rule I bet many fans don't know. Duke lost despite video evidence showing a knee down which pretty much any fan knows is play over.

gocanes0506
09-11-2016, 09:59 AM
ECU beat State yesterday 33-30. Everyone is calling for DD's head.

devildeac
09-11-2016, 11:22 AM

Wait! What'd I do?

SoCalDukeFan
09-11-2016, 12:12 PM

In one sense Ok State deserved to win since if the refs got it right they would have. However, why did the Ok State QB even throw the ball. Run around until 0 and take a knee. Second, defend the Hail Mary guys. Lastly, at home against a MAC team if you are in the Big 12 don't let the refs decide the guy, win big.

SoCal

sagegrouse
09-11-2016, 12:25 PM
In one sense Ok State deserved to win since if the refs got it right they would have. However, why did the Ok State QB even throw the ball. Run around until 0 and take a knee. Second, defend the Hail Mary guys. Lastly, at home against a MAC team if you are in the Big 12 don't let the refs decide the guy, win big.

SoCal

The coach took the blame for calling the play, but this was a comedy of errors -- vary any one element and the Cowboys win. Or, if you are T. Boone Pickens, a tragedy of errors.

jimsumner
09-11-2016, 01:41 PM

Well, not everyone. The ECU folks would love to keep him around.

rsvman
09-11-2016, 05:15 PM
BYU-Utah game, which is the Rocky Mountain version of Duke-UNC, was predictably crazy. Utah scored a defensive touchdown on the first play of the game with a pick six. They turned the ball over six times!
The BYU safety was ejected on a dubious targeting call and on the very next play, his backup was ejected for the same thing. Mike Pereira said that neither play was really targeting.
In the end, it was 20-13 Utah with about 2.5 minutes to play. BYU finally puts together a decent drive and scores a touchdown.
Inexplicably, they go for two. With a planned quarterback draw and no plan b. Utah runs a blitz and the game is over. Final score Utah 20 BYU 19.
First time since 1994 that a team turned it over six times and still managed to win a game. Crazy game, as always.

gurufrisbee
09-11-2016, 05:39 PM
My Huskies (the good ones, north WEST, not north EAST version) are still looking good - and still have played no one. BIG circle on Friday the 30th when Stanford comes to town.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-17-2016, 12:48 PM
Louisville up early on FSU in a very big game for ACC Championship hopes.

dukelifer
09-17-2016, 01:47 PM
Louisville up early on FSU in a very big game for ACC Championship hopes.

Now 25. Louisville is pretty good. Jackson is fearless.0

Tripping William
09-17-2016, 02:05 PM
After all the hype in Boone, Yosef be like :(

**Posting that here because I didn't see an ACC Week 3 thread.

Olympic Fan
09-17-2016, 02:33 PM
After all the hype in Boone, Yosef be like :(

**Posting that here because I didn't see an ACC Week 3 thread.

My fault ... I forgot to do the ACC Week 3 thread.

While Miami is taking care of business in Boone (31-10 last I looked), it's nothing compared to the whipping Louisville is putting on Florida State -- 42-10 a few minutes ago and the Cards are not letting up.

Clemson cruising as expected over SC State. I saw something in that game I've never seen before. A SC State player catches a kickoff halfway deep in the end zone. He decides not to bring it out, so he turns and tosses the ball to the ref, standing a few feet away. The ref dodges the ball, Clemson falls on it for a touchdown. Crazy!

BTW: They shortened that game at the half -- two 12 minute quarters. Unlike Cut and his reaction after a 49-0 halftime lead over NCCU, Dabo Swinney did not call off the dogs in the second half with a 45-0 lead. He did sub -- but his second team came out firing, wide open ... it was 59-0 last time I checked.

dukelifer
09-17-2016, 02:41 PM
Now 25. Louisville is pretty good. Jackson is fearless.0

FSU getting embarrassed - no coming back from this. Jackson is putting on a show. His last running touchdown was other worldly.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-17-2016, 02:42 PM
My fault ... I forgot to do the ACC Week 3 thread.

While Miami is taking care of business in Boone (31-10 last I looked), it's nothing compared to the whipping Louisville is putting on Florida State -- 42-10 a few minutes ago and the Cards are not letting up.

Clemson cruising as expected over SC State. I saw something in that game I've never seen before. A SC State player catches a kickoff halfway deep in the end zone. He decides not to bring it out, so he turns and tosses the ball to the ref, standing a few feet away. The ref dodges the ball, Clemson falls on it for a touchdown. Crazy!

BTW: They shortened that game at the half -- two 12 minute quarters. Unlike Cut and his reaction after a 49-0 halftime lead over NCCU, Dabo Swinney did not call off the dogs in the second half with a 45-0 lead. He did sub -- but his second team came out firing, wide open ... it was 59-0 last time I checked.

That is mortifying. Don't play the second half at all then.

fisheyes
09-17-2016, 02:57 PM
FSU getting embarrassed - no coming back from this. Jackson is putting on a show. His last running touchdown was other worldly.

That was one impressive run by the Louisville QB.
Wow. Jackson is making a statement.

Duke is going to have its hands full when we play them.

OldPhiKap
09-17-2016, 02:59 PM
56-10. Wood shedding.

Tripping William
09-17-2016, 03:02 PM
56-10. Wood shedding.

Jimbo's face as they hang half-a-hundred = priceless.

OldPhiKap
09-17-2016, 03:08 PM

Make it 63. 12:30 left.

Tripping William
09-17-2016, 03:11 PM
Make it 63. 12:30 left.

Cards might get to an actual hundred ...,

Stray Gator
09-17-2016, 03:18 PM

According to the ABC announcers, the Showtime documentary crew that is following the FSU football team this season for the cable network's show, "A Season With Florida State Football," was required by Jimbo to leave the FSU sideline when the score was still 49-10. It'll be interesting to see that episode.

Tripping William
09-17-2016, 03:28 PM
According to the ABC announcers, the Showtime documentary crew that is following the FSU football team this season for the cable network's show, "A Season With Florida State Football," was required by Jimbo to leave the FSU sideline when the score was still 49-10. It'll be interesting to see that episode.

Did Jameis give a halftime pep talk this time? If so, will they show it? :rolleyes:

ipatent
09-17-2016, 04:28 PM
Louisville at Clemson in two weeks will be interesting.

Bob Green
09-17-2016, 05:10 PM
Ole Miss 24, Alabama 3 with three minutes left in the 1st half. I missed the Louisville whipping of FSU as I was on the golf course, but this game is starting to get away from the Crimson Tide.

Olympic Fan
09-17-2016, 05:39 PM
Louisville at Clemson in two weeks will be interesting.

With apologies to the Duke football team, which plays at Louisville on a Friday night (Oct. 14), the Cards realistically have just two chances to lose (barring some severe injuries),

The Oct. 1 game at Clemson is obviously a big one. Later, they get Houston in Houston on a Thursday night. Nov. 17.

The rest of their schedule is not imposing -- at Marshall, Duke, NC State, at Virginia, at BC, Wake Forest and Kentucky.

Realistically, they beat Clemson and they are in the ACC title game ... beat Clemson, Houston and win the ACC title game and they are in the playoffs.

Not saying that's easy (especially at Clemson Oct. 1), but it is a remarkably simple path.

BTW: Virginia just lost at UConn to go 0-3. They get Central Michigan at home next week before traveling to Duke Oct. 1.

UNC is going to beat JMU, but their defense looks terrible. Pitt is down a touchdown at Oklahoma State at the half. VPI is killing BC at the half.

Also, very solid win by Georgia Tech over Vanderbilt, improves the ACC to 3-2 vs. the SEC and 5-3 vs. the P5. That could change, depending on the outcome of Pitt at Oklahoma State (and later, Duke at Northwestern)

dukelifer
09-17-2016, 05:43 PM
That was one impressive run by the Louisville QB.
Wow. Jackson is making a statement.

Duke is going to have its hands full when we play them.

That will not be pretty. He might score every play. He is elusive and once in space- it is over. He could get hurt before the matchup as he will not get down- but Duke will have a very tough game if they come to play.

Bob Green
09-17-2016, 06:04 PM
Alabama has roared back and tied the game at 24. Ole Miss needs to respond.

dukelifer
09-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Alabama has roared back and tied the game at 24. Ole Miss needs to respond.

Down 18 - will take a miracle

Olympic Fan
09-17-2016, 07:52 PM
Down 18 - will take a miracle

Really fascinating -- Ole Miss has now blown 21-point leads in two of three games this season (to FSU and Bama).

Interesting aspect to another late game -- Oregon at Nebraska. Both teams scored five touchdowns (and no field goals). But Nebraska kicked the extra point five times and scored 35. Oregon went for two every time and converted just one of four and finished with 32 points. Actually, they came out and lined up to kick the first four extra points, then faked it every time -- the first time they converted, the next three, not so much. On the fifth try, they lined up on offense and tried -- and failed.

Frustrating game for Scottie and ECU at South Carolina. They lost 20-15, but had interceptions in the end zone (from the one yard line) and at the one (from inside the 10).

Thunderstorms must be fierce in Oklahoma -- the Pitt at OSU game has been delayed more than an hour (with a 38-38 score early in the fourth) and the started of the Ohio State at Oklahoma game has been delayed from a 7:30 pm start to at least 9 p.m.

Checking out until the end of the Duke game ...

ipatent
09-17-2016, 08:12 PM
Iowa lost to North Dakota State. Ouch.

Olympic Fan
09-18-2016, 12:54 AM
I don't know if anybody else is still up (I can't sleep after the Duke loss), but Texas and California are in a barnburner -- Cal up 35-33 at the half (with Texas missing a long FG try at the gun).

Dev11
09-18-2016, 08:17 AM
I don't know if anybody else is still up (I can't sleep after the Duke loss), but Texas and California are in a barnburner -- Cal up 35-33 at the half (with Texas missing a long FG try at the gun).

What a flip of the script, as they all went scoreless in the third quarter before a few late touchdowns in the fourth.

I was in Auburn for the aTm game, and while I don't have much relevant information about two SEC West teams who aren't Alabama, I do want to say that I had a lovely time tailgating with the orange and blue crowd. They loved seeing FSU an Jimbo get pantsed in a big spot, and I saw some very impressive meat smoking operations.

Olympic Fan
09-18-2016, 12:38 PM
What a flip of the script, as they all went scoreless in the third quarter before a few late touchdowns in the fourth.

I was in Auburn for the aTm game, and while I don't have much relevant information about two SEC West teams who aren't Alabama, I do want to say that I had a lovely time tailgating with the orange and blue crowd. They loved seeing FSU an Jimbo get pantsed in a big spot, and I saw some very impressive meat smoking operations.

Interesting followup to Jimbo's embarrassment at Louisville.

FSU apparently has a deal with Showtime that allows a film crew inside access to all aspects of the program. I saw a tweet that midway through the second half -- when the score was 49-10 -- Jimbo kicked the film crew out of the bench area. Don't know if that violated any contracts, but it should lead to an interesting episode of the series.

BTW: Amazing finish to the Texas-Cal game. After a scoreless third quarter, Texas scored to go up 40-35. Cal marched down and scored with about five minutes left, then converted a two-point conversion to go up 43-40. Texas had a quick drive, hit a field goal and tied it at 43. Then Cal zipped down the field and scored -- 50-43. Texas was stopped and had to punt with just over two minutes left and three time outs left. Cal ran two plays and had a third-and-one at about its own 40 with a little over a minute left.

That's when it got exciting -- Texas stacked the line to stop the run. The Cal runner broke through and was home free for the clinching TD -- much like the play Wake scored on us. Only as he approaches the goal line, the idiot casually drops the ball -- exactly like Ray-Ray McCloud did for Clemson a week ago. The ball rolls into the end zone as the Cal players celebrate. The ball lays there in the end zone for about 20-30 seconds until a Texas player picks it up and hands it to the refs.

They go to replay and determine that the ball was "fumbled" short of the goal line. BUT since the ball wasn't immediately recovered, Cal gets to keep the ball at the point of the fumble. So they get it at the one and run out the clock. I wonder what the definition of "immediate" recovery is? I would have thought that it would be a touchback and that Texas would get the ball at the 20 with a minute left.

ipatent
09-18-2016, 01:46 PM
FSU apparently has a deal with Showtime that allows a film crew inside access to all aspects of the program. I saw a tweet that midway through the second half -- when the score was 49-10 -- Jimbo kicked the film crew out of the bench area. Don't know if that violated any contracts, but it should lead to an interesting episode of the series..

I don't blame him a bit for protecting a group of 18-21 year olds from further humiliation, and I hope Showtime doesn't punish him too much in terms of adverse publicity for doing that.

Olympic Fan
09-18-2016, 01:52 PM
I don't blame him a bit for protecting a group of 18-21 year olds from further humiliation, and I hope Showtime doesn't punish him too much in terms of adverse publicity for doing that.

I disagree ... your court the publicity (and the recruiting advantage that goes with it), you have to take your medicine when things go badly.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2016, 10:03 PM
Showtime "A Season With Florida State Football" is showing the FSU-Louisville show on now . . . .

ipatent
09-23-2016, 03:42 PM
Nice win by Clemson in Atlanta last night, and they have two extra days to prepare for Louisville at home.

MartyClark
09-28-2016, 03:42 PM
After a decade of misery, my Colorado Buffaloes are making a strong bid for mediocrity. The win over Oregon may not register much on a national scale but for long suffering Buffs fans, this was a much needed victory.

Oregon State this week at home, a winnable game.

If we could only sign a McCaffrey or two, our fortunes would improve.

gurufrisbee
10-01-2016, 02:43 AM
My Huskies made a statement tonight. Loud statement. Complete domination, both sides of the ball, all game long.

OldPhiKap
10-01-2016, 09:45 PM
Georgia - Tennessee.

Wow.

vfefrenzy
10-03-2016, 11:43 AM
Georgia - Tennessee.

Wow.

My Vols first snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, then turned around and snatched that victory back. As exciting as this one was, beating Georgia doesn't have the same weight as beating Florida (or, God willing, Alabama).

Tripping William
10-06-2016, 08:02 PM
LSU@Fla postponed due to Matthew.

BigWayne
10-06-2016, 09:02 PM
LSU@Fla postponed due to Matthew.
I don't think this would have happened except LSU figured they could use politicians to get themselves an extra home game like they did last year from South Carolina.

FSU at Miami still on.

Newton_14
10-06-2016, 09:49 PM
I don't think this would have happened except LSU figured they could use politicians to get themselves an extra home game like they did last year from South Carolina.

FSU at Miami still on.
I personally don't think any games should be played in SC, GA, Fla on Saturday. The police resources and EMT personnel should be used to help with the many things this storm is going to cause. There's a time when the game isn't important and should not be played. This is one of those times in my opinion.

I'm stunned all games in Florida have not been postponed. It's crazy to play them with the multitude of needs that will be present Saturday..

My two cents....

Bob Green
10-08-2016, 07:01 PM
Navy 46, Houston 40! Midshipmen move to 3-0 in the American Conference.

sagegrouse
10-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Navy 46, Houston 40! Midshipmen move to 3-0 in the American Conference.

Awfully nice to see the Midshipmen beat the guys from Cougar High.

Kindly,
sage
'OK, I admit it. I went to Rice'

Wander
10-08-2016, 07:52 PM
Tennessee must have cast some voodoo spell on all their opponents, unreal. By far the most entertaining team this season.

DukieInKansas
10-08-2016, 10:20 PM
Michigan just tied a school record with their 8th rushing TD of the game. Watching the last TD reminded me of Coach Cut giving the ball to Shaun Wilson at the end of the KU game and telling him if he saw green space, fall down. Shaun needed just a few yards to set a school rushing record but Coach didn't want to run up the score - as Shaun was running at will all game.

Rutgers just made their first first down with under 9 minutes left in the game.

duke4ever19
10-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Rutgers in the Big 10 is downright strange.

devildeac
10-08-2016, 10:50 PM
Rutgers in the Big 10 is downright strange.

New Jersey's Big 10/11/12 team!

(Northwestern may "advertise" themselves as Chicago's Big 10/11/12 team.)

(Or is it Wisconsin advertising themselves as Madison's Big 10/11/12 team?)

It was less than a month ago and I can't recall :o .

ipatent
10-08-2016, 10:57 PM
Washington has scored 70 against Oregon with half a quarter left, but it won't pick up ground on #4 Michigan, which scored 78 points on Rutgers in a shutout.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-08-2016, 11:55 PM
Miami-FSU announcer jinxes the Canes on the PAT... jeez.

gurufrisbee
10-09-2016, 01:52 AM
Washington has scored 70 against Oregon with half a quarter left, but it won't pick up ground on #4 Michigan, which scored 78 points on Rutgers in a shutout.

GO DAWGS!!!

No, they won't move up in the standings, but if they just keep winning they are in the playoff.

ipatent
10-11-2016, 12:56 PM
Ohio State, Michigan and Alabama are way above Clemson and the rest of the pack in the computer rankings, which after six games mean something. Starting to look like the Big 10 has a better chance of getting two teams in the playoffs than the ACC, although Louisville has more time to recover from their loss than the loser of the Michigan-OSU game will have.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

gurufrisbee
10-11-2016, 01:14 PM
Ohio State, Michigan and Alabama are way above Clemson and the rest of the pack in the computer rankings, which after six games mean something. Starting to look like the Big 10 has a better chance of getting two teams in the playoffs than the ACC, although Louisville has more time to recover from their loss than the loser of the Michigan-OSU game will have.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

It's a HUGE if, but IF there is an undefeated champion from the SEC, Big Can't Count, ACC, and Pac 12 then those are your four national playoff teams. 100% guaranteed.

OldPhiKap
10-15-2016, 03:22 PM
Vandy beats Georgia in Athens on homecoming. I'm laughing at the insane Dawg fans who ran off Richt right now.

Olympic Fan
10-15-2016, 05:35 PM
Northwestern up nine on Michigan State entering the fourth quarter.

ipatent
10-15-2016, 08:46 PM
Wisconsin leads #2 Ohio State 10-0 early.

Olympic Fan
10-16-2016, 12:03 AM

Great finish, but Ohio State prevails in overtime ...

Wild finish in the Notre Dame-Stanford game with Notre Dame denied in the red zone as the clock runs out. Notre Dame falls to 2-5.

sue71, esq
10-16-2016, 01:54 AM

Great finish, but Ohio State prevails in overtime ...

My Buckeyes tried to kill me this week by playing NY Giants-style defense until overtime.

kmspeaks
10-16-2016, 10:07 AM
Vandy beats Georgia in Athens on homecoming. I'm laughing at the insane Dawg fans who ran off Richt right now.

Us sane Georgia fans are crying right now. Although I'm willing to give Kirby more than a partial season before declaring him a failure. They wanted Richt gone because his teams didn't produce in big games against top teams and he failed to win the division even though for many years there was no clear cut favorite in the East. I don't entirely agree and I would have been happy to keep Richt, but Miami's performance the last two weeks doesn't do much to dispel that narrative.

Wander
10-16-2016, 11:17 AM
People buried the Big 12 early in the playoff hunt, but they still have 2 undefeated teams. Baylor is ranked higher but I think West Virginia actually has the better chance, because they get Oklahoma and Baylor at home and because they have a not-completely-atrocious non-conference schedule which will kill Baylor if it comes down to comparing their resume to other teams.

OldPhiKap
10-16-2016, 12:25 PM
Us sane Georgia fans are crying right now. Although I'm willing to give Kirby more than a partial season before declaring him a failure. They wanted Richt gone because his teams didn't produce in big games against top teams and he failed to win the division even though for many years there was no clear cut favorite in the East. I don't entirely agree and I would have been happy to keep Richt, but Miami's performance the last two weeks doesn't do much to dispel that narrative.

And I feel bad for the sane ones like you. In my part of the state though, the Disney Dawgs who expect to win the SEC every year far outweigh the rational fans. I like Kirby, but don't think he is going to be given three or four years to win the East. The expectations are, for many, kinda absurd IMO.

Richt left a darn good recruit with Eason, he will be a star.

Bob Green
10-16-2016, 12:32 PM
Terrence Alls, who was dismissed from Duke last season, is playing for James Madison University. Yesterday, he had four receptions for 95 yards with two touchdowns. Here is a video clip of one of his touchdowns:

https://twitter.com/JMUFootball/status/787363897506340864

vfefrenzy
10-17-2016, 04:01 PM
And I feel bad for the sane ones like you. In my part of the state though, the Disney Dawgs who expect to win the SEC every year far outweigh the rational fans. I like Kirby, but don't think he is going to be given three or four years to win the East. The expectations are, for many, kinda absurd IMO.

Richt left a darn good recruit with Eason, he will be a star.

I don't know that it's really irrational to expect Smart to win the east within 3 years. I'm a Vol fan, and when Butch Jones was hired, the cupboard was pretty bare, but he has the best team in the east by year 4. Smart, on the other hand, inherited plenty of talent. Plus Georgia produces a lot of good recruits. A lot of Tennessee's success has come from signing Georgians. And since USCe, UK, Vandy, and Mizzou are all weak sisters, he just has to win a 3-way race against Butch Jones and Jim McElwain. He doesn't have to take down Nick Saban or Urban Meyer.

Wander
10-17-2016, 05:39 PM
I don't know that it's really irrational to expect Smart to win the east within 3 years. I'm a Vol fan, and when Butch Jones was hired, the cupboard was pretty bare, but he has the best team in the east by year 4. Smart, on the other hand, inherited plenty of talent. Plus Georgia produces a lot of good recruits. A lot of Tennessee's success has come from signing Georgians. And since USCe, UK, Vandy, and Mizzou are all weak sisters, he just has to win a 3-way race against Butch Jones and Jim McElwain. He doesn't have to take down Nick Saban or Urban Meyer.

I think you're being a little generous to your team here. Tennessee isn't in first place in the current SEC standings, AP poll, Coaches poll, or Sagarin rankings, so I think it's fair to say it's not a lock that they're the best team in the east. And it really hasn't been that long since USC and Mizzou have fielded better teams than Tennessee. I was ready to believe Tennessee was turning things around, but after the results so far this season, I'm not so sure.

Anyway, I agree with the point about letting 3 years go by before judging the coach.

OldPhiKap
10-17-2016, 07:24 PM
The question will be whether he gets three years.

vfefrenzy
10-18-2016, 12:48 PM
I think you're being a little generous to your team here. Tennessee isn't in first place in the current SEC standings, AP poll, Coaches poll, or Sagarin rankings, so I think it's fair to say it's not a lock that they're the best team in the east.

If not Tennessee, then who is the best team in the east this year? The Florida team we beat? The Georgia team we beat? One of the other teams no one thinks is good? Polls are always dumb. Standings are deceptive based on unequal schedules. The only real evidence is what happens on the field, and Tennessee is the only team undefeated in SEC east play.

Wander
10-18-2016, 01:04 PM
If not Tennessee, then who is the best team in the east this year? The Florida team we beat? The Georgia team we beat? One of the other teams no one thinks is good? Polls are always dumb. Standings are deceptive based on unequal schedules. The only real evidence is what happens on the field, and Tennessee is the only team undefeated in SEC east play.

I hear you that schedules are unbalanced. But, yes, it is entirely reasonable to assert that Florida is the best team in the SEC East this year (this SEC East might be the worst division in the Power 5 conferences, but that's another story). I'm sure you know that the best team does not always win an individual game, especially if the better team is playing on the road.

I would put Florida and Tennessee as very close, basically 50/50 right now on who's the better team.

Bob Green
10-22-2016, 10:23 AM
I'm looking forward to the Alabama, Texas A&M game at 3:30 today. This is the marquee match-up of the day with the outcome influencing both the SEC West and College Football Play-offs. I was listening to Sports Radio this morning and the analyst stated A&M will have to take some passing shots downfield because that is where Alabama's defense gives teams opportunities, but he doubted Trevor Knight is a good enough passer to make Alabama pay.

Bob Green
10-22-2016, 05:21 PM
Halftime: Alabama 13, Texas A&M 7.

Alabama dominated early building a 13-0 lead but left points on the field by settling for FGs in the Red Zone plus missing a FG. The stage is set for an exciting 2nd half.

chrishoke
10-22-2016, 05:48 PM
A&M takes the lead in the 3rd 14-13.

Bob Green
10-22-2016, 06:06 PM
A&M extends an Alabama drive with a stupid Roughing the Passer penalty and Alabama takes advantage to go back on top 20-14.

YmoBeThere
10-22-2016, 06:08 PM
And 'bama back in the lead with a TD. Don't tell my cousin, but I'm okay if the Tide lose.

YmoBeThere
10-22-2016, 06:27 PM
A&M didn't need that. But at least they get it right back. Bama scores a TD on a fumble recovery. They go for 2 but don't convert.

ipatent
10-22-2016, 06:47 PM
Well that was fast, Alabama rolling.

OldPhiKap
10-22-2016, 07:07 PM
Well that was fast, Alabama rolling.

Cream rising to the top. AND Saban has plenty of legitimate griping at his team too.

ipatent
10-22-2016, 07:32 PM
Cream rising to the top. AND Saban has plenty of legitimate griping at his team too.

Their talent isn't just on the field. They won the championship game last year with special teams, always a sign of good coaching, and a gutsy call on the onside kick by the head coach.

OldPhiKap
10-22-2016, 11:59 PM
tOSU -- seeeeeeeeeeee ya!

Olympic Fan
10-23-2016, 02:09 AM

This one hurts the Buckeyes ... it was a bad loss. But I don't think they are out of it yet. If they win out -- which means beating Michigan, then beating Wisconsin or Nebraska in the title game, they still might sneak into the playoffs.

As of today, the four playoff teams are (1) Alabama, (2) Michigan, (3) Clemson and (4) Washington. I'm sure one (or some) of them will lose going forward, but how crazy would it be if all four stayed unbeaten, then an unbeaten Big 12 team (Baylor or West Virginia) got left out? Probably won't happen, but I'd love to hear the screams if it did.

Clemson has a game at FSU next week that they could lose. Washington has a tough one at Utah coming up. Michigan has their showdown with Ohio State. Alabama looks pretty solid, although both LSU and Auburn (did you see what they did to Arkansas?) appear to be on the upswing.

It didn't help Louisville that Houston was KILLED by SMU. Houston was their last ranked opponent ... the operative word is "was".

Wander
10-23-2016, 03:03 AM

If Ohio State wins out the rest of the season, I'd give them about a 90% chance of making the playoffs.

gurufrisbee
10-23-2016, 03:45 AM
If Ohio State wins out the rest of the season, I'd give them about a 90% chance of making the playoffs.

I'd guess you are too low on that one, but it's a good point.

A-Tex Devil
10-23-2016, 11:58 AM
This one hurts the Buckeyes ... it was a bad loss. But I don't think they are out of it yet. If they win out -- which means beating Michigan, then beating Wisconsin or Nebraska in the title game, they still might sneak into the playoffs.

As of today, the four playoff teams are (1) Alabama, (2) Michigan, (3) Clemson and (4) Washington. I'm sure one (or some) of them will lose going forward, but how crazy would it be if all four stayed unbeaten, then an unbeaten Big 12 team (Baylor or West Virginia) got left out? Probably won't happen, but I'd love to hear the screams if it did.

Clemson has a game at FSU next week that they could lose. Washington has a tough one at Utah coming up. Michigan has their showdown with Ohio State. Alabama looks pretty solid, although both LSU and Auburn (did you see what they did to Arkansas?) appear to be on the upswing.

It didn't help Louisville that Houston was KILLED by SMU. Houston was their last ranked opponent ... the operative word is "was".

I'll be moderately surprised if three of those 4 listed above don't lose at least one before the end of the year. I also expect every Big XII team to have 2 losses before all is said and done given OU appears to be ready to run over the league and already has 2 losses. Still, if WVU goes undefeated (I am going to pretend Baylor doesn't exist as we all should), I am curious how they have a worse resume than an undefeated Washington. The Pac XII really hasn't performed much better than the Big XII this year.

gurufrisbee
10-23-2016, 12:19 PM
I'll be moderately surprised if three of those 4 listed above don't lose at least one before the end of the year. I also expect every Big XII team to have 2 losses before all is said and done given OU appears to be ready to run over the league and already has 2 losses. Still, if WVU goes undefeated (I am going to pretend Baylor doesn't exist as we all should), I am curious how they have a worse resume than an undefeated Washington. The Pac XII really hasn't performed much better than the Big XII this year.

The Pac 12 can actually do math.

It's a good question. Here is the problem for WV.

Right now they have not played a single game against a team that was ranked at the time or will be at any time this season. That includes a 3 point win over BYU and 1 point win over Kansas St, both at home. Ok St is almost up to being ranked, but that is their opponent next week, so if they win that, it will bump the Cowboys down again. Baylor and Oklahoma play each other on the 12th, which will bump one up and drop the other. If Baylor wins that one, WV's first ranked opponent won't happen until late November and will be a team not even in the top 20. They do finish with Baylor in early December and both the Baylor and Oklahoma games are more home games (they only have four road games all year). That's a tough resume to get excited about.

Washington got Stanford when they were ranked in the top ten. Clearly they didn't deserve that, but they do have that to point to. They will play at ranked Utah this week. USC and Washington State are not currently ranked right now because they both stumbled out of the gates, but both are hot and streaking and could easily be ranked by the time the Huskies play them. And the Pac 12 title game would have another ranked opponent.

Perhaps as a conference, the Pac 12 isnt' doing better than the Big 12, but head to head an undefeated WV won't compare favorably with an undefeated UW.

Olympic Fan
10-23-2016, 12:44 PM
The Pac 12 can actually do math.

It's a good question. Here is the problem for WV.

Right now they have not played a single game against a team that was ranked at the time or will be at any time this season. That includes a 3 point win over BYU and 1 point win over Kansas St, both at home. Ok St is almost up to being ranked, but that is their opponent next week, so if they win that, it will bump the Cowboys down again. Baylor and Oklahoma play each other on the 12th, which will bump one up and drop the other. If Baylor wins that one, WV's first ranked opponent won't happen until late November and will be a team not even in the top 20. They do finish with Baylor in early December and both the Baylor and Oklahoma games are more home games (they only have four road games all year). That's a tough resume to get excited about.

Washington got Stanford when they were ranked in the top ten. Clearly they didn't deserve that, but they do have that to point to. They will play at ranked Utah this week. USC and Washington State are not currently ranked right now because they both stumbled out of the gates, but both are hot and streaking and could easily be ranked by the time the Huskies play them. And the Pac 12 title game would have another ranked opponent.

Perhaps as a conference, the Pac 12 isnt' doing better than the Big 12, but head to head an undefeated WV won't compare favorably with an undefeated UW.

Good analysis ... and also remember that Washington would be 13-0 ... the Big 12 champ can be no better than 12-0.

It's probably a moot point since I too believe that almost everybody we're talking about will take a loss, but all other things being equal, the Pac 12 champ is ahead of the Big 12 champ ... so is the SEC, Big Ten and the ACC champ -- the Big 12 brings up the rear (they REALLY need a title game).

Olympic Fan
10-29-2016, 07:30 PM
Please, can someone explain to me what Michigan State was doing at the end of their game with Michigan?

Michigan leads 30-17 when Michigan State scores with one second left to make it 30-23.

Then Michigan State tries to go for two -- but they fumble a pitch, Michigan picks it up and returns it for two points ... final: Michigan 32-23.

Okay, it didn't really impact the outcome of the game, but what was the reasoning behind the two-point try there?

A one point extra point cuts the lead to six and you can win with a touchdown. The two-pointer, even if successful, still forces you to get a touchdown.

Why go for two in that situation?

Was the coach working on the point spread? Did he have MSU and five? What was the spread?

Or was there something else going on that I don't get?

ipatent
11-12-2016, 03:30 PM
It'll get interesting if Washington stumbles against USC this evening.

gurufrisbee
11-12-2016, 03:32 PM
It'll get interesting if Washington stumbles against USC this evening.

BOO!!!!

Don't even suggest that!!!

#GoDawgs #BowDownToWashington #PurpleReign #OurNumberOneIsFasterThanYourNumberOne

ipatent
11-12-2016, 03:34 PM
Should be a good game. Was looking for that playoff thread, couldn't find it.

gurufrisbee
11-12-2016, 08:10 PM
Yes, USC is red hot and playing very well over the last 6 weeks.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-12-2016, 11:15 PM
Been a really wild football day. Turn on Iowa/UM if you aren't already watching.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
11-12-2016, 11:31 PM
UM goes down...

devildeac
11-13-2016, 01:28 PM
UM goes down...

And we're friends with that other Harbaugh coaching in (Western) Michigan...