PDA

View Full Version : Duke football notes, 8-30-16

jimsumner
08-30-2016, 02:51 PM
That time of year again.

Overview.

Cut was asked if he took issue with the common perception that this is a rebuilding year.

“I’m comfortable with that every year because we are a developmental program. I want to see us build every year. That’s kind of a normal process. I don’t view that as a negative. But we believe we can compete for championships if we play well and we’re not stepping back from that.”

Daniel Jones on Daniel Jones “I like to think I’m a pretty accurate passer and I like to think I can run and throw. You need to play the game to get better at it. Getting lots of reps in practice was a big thing for me.”

Jones is a quite sort.

Cut on Jones-“I’m excited for Daniel Jones. He’s got a great opportunity ahead of him and I hope and expect him to take advantage of that.” Praised his “productivity,” accuracy, game management.

A number of folks, including Cutcliffe, noted that Jones is a better runner than people realize.

Parker Boehme has had several good practices and is “pushing back” to see the field.

Will Duke have a “Connette package” this season?

Cut was non-committal but noted that Boehme is the strongest of the Duke QBs and Quentin Harris is the fastest, with Jones close behind Harris.

But here’s the dilemma. Duke wants its QBs to run effectively, needs this option. But Duke is down to three recruited quarterbacks. Duke doesn’t even have a walk-on QB, although there are some guys who played QB in high school and have been moved to other positions. Walk-on Kanner Bane is transitioning back from WR to QB. But Duke has to protect its QBs without compromising their effectiveness. A delicate balancing act, especially when two of the three QBs are redshirt freshmen.

“But we aren’t going to put a leash on our quarterbacks.”

Some freshmen notes.

Don’t look for touted receiver Scott Bracey anytime soon. Hamstring issues. Cut said Bracey is being brought along slowly, had “to back off” this week and needs time to get well.

True freshman kicker AJ Reed is being challenged by walk-on Danny Stirt. Both have had good days, not so good days. Consistency is the key.

True freshman Julian Santos is listed at second team left guard and Cut says he is leaning towards playing him. He has never played a true freshman OL at Duke. Cut praised Santos as “extremely physical, great feet and power.”

Santos is listed at 315 but Cut referenced him as 320. Duke has lost two scholarship linemen to career-ending injuries in the last year and depth is a real concern.

Duke dismissed two wide receivers at the end of last season, lost Keyston Fuller to a knee injury this spring and is dealing with Bracey’s hamstring issues.

Johnathon Lloyd is trying to fill the vacuum. A redshirt sophomore, Lloyd is on his third position, having previously been tried at quarterback (his high school position) and cornerback. He’s listed as a starter for Saturday. Cut says he the best blocker among the wide receivers and runs great routes and is always in the right spot.

DeVon Edwards has been moved back to safety after a flirtation with corner. The main reason is that Bryon Fields returned from knee surgery in great shape and reclaimed his starting spot at corner, opposite Breon Borders. Duke needs its five best guys in the secondary hence the move by Edwards.

Fields say that he had no problems resuming contact and hard cuts but says that jumping was the last thing he got back.

Edwards and Fields both went out of their way to praise Corbin McCarthy, who is taking Jeremy Cash’s spot. McCarthy is described as a speed upgrade at that position.

RT Casey Blaser is listed at 285 but told me he’s over 290 now and has worked on run blocking in anticipation of playing some smash-mouth. A redshirt senior, Blaser is the team leader on the offensive line, teaching culture and habits to the newbies.

Isaac Sours
08-30-2016, 03:01 PM
True freshman Julian Santos is listed at second team left guard and Cut says he is leaning towards playing him. He has never played a true freshman OL at Duke. Cut praised Santos as “extremely physical, great feet and power.”

Johnathon Lloyd is trying to fill the vacuum. A redshirt sophomore, Lloyd is on his third position, having previously been tried at quarterback (his high school position) and cornerback. He’s listed as a starter for Saturday. Cut says he the best blocker among the wide receivers and runs great routes and is always in the right spot.

RT Casey Blaser is listed at 285 but told me he’s over 290 now and has worked on run blocking in anticipation of playing some smash-mouth. A redshirt senior, Blaser is the team leader on the offensive line, teaching culture and habits to the newbies.

I hope we run the ball a lot this year. Passing has been Cut's focus for awhile, but our run game might be more reliable this year, with the injuries and suspensions. I hope the Duke coaching staff shows Coach K levels of adaptability.

OldPhiKap
08-30-2016, 03:01 PM
That time of year again.

Overview.

Cut was asked if he took issue with the common perception that this is a rebuilding year.

“I’m comfortable with that every year because we are a developmental program. I want to see us build every year. That’s kind of a normal process. I don’t view that as a negative. But we believe we can compete for championships if we play well and we’re not stepping back from that.”

Daniel Jones on Daniel Jones “I like to think I’m a pretty accurate passer and I like to think I can run and throw. You need to play the game to get better at it. Getting lots of reps in practice was a big thing for me.”

Jones is a quite sort.

Cut on Jones-“I’m excited for Daniel Jones. He’s got a great opportunity ahead of him and I hope and expect him to take advantage of that.” Praised his “productivity,” accuracy, game management.

A number of folks, including Cutcliffe, noted that Jones is a better runner than people realize.

Parker Boehme has had several good practices and is “pushing back” to see the field.

Cut was non-committal but noted that Boehme is the strongest of the Duke QBs and Quentin Harris is the fastest, with Jones close behind Harris.

But here’s the dilemma. Duke wants its QBs to run effectively, needs this option. But Duke is down to three recruited quarterbacks. Duke doesn’t even have a walk-on QB, although there are some guys who played QB in high school and have been moved to other positions. Walk-on Kanner Bane is transitioning back from WR to QB. But Duke has to protect its QBs without compromising their effectiveness. A delicate balancing act, especially when two of the three QBs are redshirt freshmen.

Some freshmen notes.

Don’t look for touted receiver Scott Bracey anytime soon. Hamstring issues. Cut said Bracey is being brought along slowly, had “to back off” this week and needs time to get well.

True freshman kicker AJ Reed is being challenged by walk-on Danny Stirt. Both have had good days, not so good days. Consistency is the key.

Santos is listed at 315 but Cut referenced him as 320. Duke has lost two scholarship linemen to career-ending injuries in the last year and depth is a real concern.

Duke dismissed two wide receivers at the end of last season, lost Keyston Fuller to a knee injury this spring and is dealing with Bracey’s hamstring issues.

DeVon Edwards has been moved back to safety after a flirtation with corner. The main reason is that Bryon Fields returned from knee surgery in great shape and reclaimed his starting spot at corner, opposite Breon Borders. Duke needs its five best guys in the secondary hence the move by Edwards.

Fields say that he had no problems resuming contact and hard cuts but says that jumping was the last thing he got back.

Edwards and Fields both went out of their way to praise Corbin McCarthy, who is taking Jeremy Cash’s spot. McCarthy is described as a speed upgrade at that position.

Great notes, thanks Jim. And hope you are doing well.

Bob Green
08-30-2016, 03:36 PM

Jim, which starting wide receiver will be the slot receiver? I am assuming it will be Lloyd, but if you or someone else in the know could confirm it would be appreciated. If not, I'll have to wait ~99 hours until the game starts on Saturday to find out. ;)

I hope we run the ball a lot this year. Passing has been Cut's focus for awhile...

From the full game notes at GoDuke.com (link provided in the game thread):

GROUND YARDS ACCUMULATING
• Duke averaged 192.92 rushing yards per game in
2015, its highest average since gaining 198.64 yards
per contest in 1977.
• Duke has relied on an increasing ground game in the
last five years under head coach David Cutcliffe,
improving its per game average each season and
more than doubling the average from the 2011
squad (94.08 yards per game) in 2015.

I'm 100 percent confident Duke is going to run the ball a lot this year.

devildeac
08-30-2016, 03:54 PM
That time of year again.

Overview.

Jones is a quite sort.

Some freshmen notes.

Sounds/reads like Sumner is in mid-season form. ;)

Thanks for loads of info.

One question: Any thoughts/comments about Helm and Birmingham at TE?

sagegrouse
08-30-2016, 03:57 PM
Let me see if I have it straight. Daniel Jones, the new QB, came out of the student section last year and walked down to the sidelines. He was rewarded with a uniform but red-shirted for the 2015 season. Jones seems certain to be an all-star and a first-round draft choice. The team is rebuilding only in the sense that we are a growing program and must improve every year. We are expecting to compete at the highest levels in college football this season. Cut didn't say whether he would be satisfied with less than a national championship. About right?

Bob Green
08-30-2016, 04:06 PM
Let me see if I have it straight. Daniel Jones, the new QB, came out of the student section last year and walked down to the sidelines. He was rewarded with a uniform but red-shirted for the 2015 season. Jones seems certain to be an all-star and a first-round draft choice. The team is rebuilding only in the sense that we are a growing program and must improve every year. We are expecting to compete at the highest levels in college football this season. Cut didn't say whether he would be satisfied with less than a national championship. About right?

I realize you are 99 percent joking around but in regard to the bold/red above. Daniel Jones was headed to Princeton as a quarterback before Duke asked him to gray shirt with a scholarship coming the second season. Due to career ending injuries to another player, a scholarship opened up so Jones was on scholarship last season. Technically, he might have started off as a walk on but in reality he has always been a D1 quality quarterback. He was a late bloomer but, technicalities aside, he has never been a walk on.

budwom
08-30-2016, 04:07 PM
I think we'll see a lot of Wilson in the slot this year in an attempt to get him the ball with room to run....full bag of tricks not expected until the Wake game....
Expect some new stuff from rookie offensive coordinator Roper II.

jimsumner
08-30-2016, 04:09 PM
Sounds/reads like Sumner is in mid-season form. ;)

Thanks for loads of info.

One question: Any thoughts/comments about Helm and Birmingham at TE?

Lloyd will start in the slot, with Nash and Rahming the other starting WRs. Quay Chambers is listed as Lloyd's backup. Another converted QB.

TE didn't come up. Duke has Schneider, Helm, Koppenhaver and Beilinson listed on the depth chart. All have redshirted. Birmingham is not listed on the depth chart and has not been redshirted. That suggests a redshirt for Birmingham. To me, anyway.

A word on depth charts. Santos is listed as Tanner Stone's back-up at LG. But when Cut was discussing Santos, he referenced him as Zach Baker's backup at guard. That shows how fluid these things are at this point in the season.

That said, there are some other curious things on the depth chart. Dominic McDonald has moved ahead of walk-on Danny Doyle as starter at DE. Trevon McSwain has moved from DE to DT. Redshirt freshman Joe Giles-Harris is listed as a starter at LB, ahead of Zavier Carmichael and Tinashe Bere, while true freshmen James Hornbuckle (DE) and Mark Gilbert (CB) are listed as second team. And Shaun Wilson is returning punts.

Bob Green
08-30-2016, 04:31 PM
Lloyd will start in the slot...

And Shaun Wilson is returning punts.

Thanks for the slot receiver confirmation! I am all in on any plan that involves Shaun Wilson with the ball in his hands.

Jim3k
08-30-2016, 05:12 PM
The linebacker chart is surprising. I thought Bere was outstanding last year (I think he got hurt toward the end of the season.) If he's as good as I thought then, then the guys ahead of him must be really outstanding. (fingers crossed.)

Olympic Fan
08-30-2016, 06:40 PM
The linebacker chart is surprising. I thought Bere was outstanding last year (I think he got hurt toward the end of the season.) If he's as good as I thought then, then the guys ahead of him must be really outstanding. (fingers crossed.)

Bere was good against the run ... very good.

He has superior size and strength in he middle.

He was not as good a blitzer -- they rarely put him in that role (he did have 1.5 sacks and two QB hurries).

But he often struggled in coverage. I know that's not a high priority for an inside LB, but in Duke's system, he is asked to cover TEs and RBs out of the backfield on numerous occasions.

Humphreys is not as strong, but he's quicker to the ball and better in coverage.

But both will play, depending on the situation. For instance, when we play Georgia Tech and their option, I expect to see a lot more of Humphreys. If we play a power team such as Pitt, I suspect we see a lot of Bere.

It's nice to have both options.