PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke, Alex O'Connell

SilkyJ
08-26-2016, 03:20 PM
Per 247/Adam Rowe/Andrew Slater (http://duke.247sports.com/Article/Four-Star-Alex-OConnell-Becomes-Dukes-First-Commitment-of-2017-46974904)

That didn't take long!

Bob Green
08-26-2016, 03:33 PM
It is nice to get the 2017 class rolling. Welcome to Duke, Alex!

kAzE
08-26-2016, 03:34 PM
Woohoo!! Welcome to Duke!

moonpie23
08-26-2016, 03:35 PM
WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME!!!!
Glad to have you as join the fam!!

oldnavy
08-26-2016, 03:36 PM
It is nice to get the 2017 class rolling. Welcome to Duke, Alex!

I remember watching his dad play in Cameron!

Welcome young fella!

budwom
08-26-2016, 03:45 PM
one down, six to go!

gurufrisbee
08-26-2016, 04:42 PM
Welcome Alex to the best college basketball program - PERIOD.

Right now, you're my favorite member of the class.

Ultrarunner
08-26-2016, 05:13 PM
Congrats to Alex. Looking forward to the young man hitting the court.

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-26-2016, 05:22 PM
Awesome! Welcome Alex!

Based on his highlight video, he appears to be a 1.000 shooter! :cool:

ChillinDuke
08-26-2016, 05:23 PM
Right now, you're my favorite member of the class.

I always appreciate the guy that breaks the ice each year.

- Chillin

Troublemaker
08-26-2016, 05:36 PM
Welcome, Alex!

Here are his stats on the Nike circuit this summer (http://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/11804283). He actually only hit 33% from three in 16 games, but the fact that he was launching 5.4 attempts a game suggests to me that he usually shoots better than that.

I wish I could find his high school stats but they elude me so far.

BD80
08-26-2016, 06:09 PM
Does this give us the #1 recruiting class of 2017 so far? jk

btw: the only appropriate "minutes" discussion in this thread is the number between offer and acceptance!

Welcome Alex!

BandAlum83
08-26-2016, 09:04 PM
Welcome, Alex!

I may have to go to one or two Milton games this year!

dukelion
08-26-2016, 11:25 PM
Really really like this kid.

Long, athletic, finishes at and above the rim, can shoot the three and more likely than not a 4 year player. His biggest weakness is...well...his weakness. Looks like he weighs 140 pounds. Four years in the Duke weight room will take care of that just fine.

Some good recent info from his time at Victor Oladipo's skills camp.

Pat Lawless @PatLawless_
'17 Alex O'Connell is having an incredible performance right now at camp. Has barely missed from three and is great in the open floor.
7:44 PM - 13 Jul 2016

chrishoke
08-27-2016, 05:32 AM
I remember watching his dad play in Cameron!

Welcome young fella!

Those were some dark days of Duke basketball. I would hitchhike from my dorm at UNC to (with my dad) watch Dave OConnell and the rest of the devils play and more often than not lose. Boy am I glad I stuck with the devils thru thick and thin.

Welcome to Duke Alex!

NSDukeFan
08-27-2016, 06:01 AM
I always appreciate the guy that breaks the ice each year.

- Chillin

It is always nice to get the class started. I look forward to watching Alex play for Duke.

75Crazie
08-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Those were some dark days of Duke basketball. I would hitchhike from my dorm at UNC to (with my dad) watch Dave OConnell and the rest of the devils play and more often than not lose. Boy am I glad I stuck with the devils thru thick and thin.

Welcome to Duke Alex!
Dave O'Connell is to me one of the sadder stories of Duke basketball. It was obvious watching him early on that he had loads of talent and the team at that time sorely needed him. He was betrayed by his knees and never reached anywhere near his potential. I hope his son did not inherit those knees.

Atldukie79
08-27-2016, 09:17 AM
His dad, Dave O'Connell, endured a most difficult time at Duke.

As I recall:

He was recruited by Bucky Waters, watched a number of teammates transfer.
He saw his coach fired.
He was on the ill-fated 1974 team that lost both UNC games in classic fashion. At UNC was the 8 points in 16 seconds debacle, the other at home when Bobby Jones intercepted a weak inbounds pass at mid court and hit an uncontested layup at the buzzer for the 2 point UNC win.
He saw his second coach, McGeachy, fired after 1 year. (1974)

I believe he sat out a season (Foster's first?) with injuries.
He came back for a final season in 1976. His knee issues limited him.

It is possible that during his career spanned the worst period in Duke basketball.

It is ironic that his teammate, Gary Melchionni also provided a son, Lee, to his alma mater.

dukelifer
08-27-2016, 10:09 AM

As I recall:

He saw his coach fired.
He was on the ill-fated 1974 team that lost both UNC games in classic fashion. At UNC was the 8 points in 16 seconds debacle, the other at home when Bobby Jones intercepted a weak inbounds pass at mid court and hit an uncontested layup at the buzzer for the 2 point UNC win.

It is possible that during his career spanned the worst period in Duke basketball.

It is ironic that his teammate, Gary Melchionni also provided a son, Lee, to his alma mater.

Apparently hurt in a motorcycle accident.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-27-2016, 11:18 AM

Is it? ;-)

Let's hope Alex can give dad some more positive memories in Cameron and beyond.

slower
08-27-2016, 06:26 PM
If this kid is any good, he may provoke JJ/Grayson-level hatred. Not that anything shown in any of those videos suggests he'll be anywhere near that level of performance. Still, I can feel the bile rising in Chapel Hill already. Therefore, welcome, young fella!!

brevity
08-27-2016, 07:13 PM
Another reminder that former Duke basketball players can continue contributing to the program though the magic of childbirth.

BD80
08-28-2016, 08:36 AM
Another reminder that former Duke basketball players can continue contributing to the program though the magic of childbirth.

Come on Shelden! The gauntlet has been thrown!

Olympic Fan
08-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Come on Shelden! The gauntlet has been thrown!

Considering that Shelden married Candace Parker, one of the great women's basketball players in history, their offspring are bound to be awesome prospects.

They do have one child so far -- a girl, Lailaa Nicole.

I wonder when the time comes for her to make a college choice if there is a battle royale in the Williams household -- Candace pushing for Tennessee, Shelden for Duke.

Maybe they can work a deal -- the girls follow Mommy at Tennessee, the boys follow Daddy at Duke.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-28-2016, 05:40 PM

As I recall:

He saw his coach fired.

Those were my four undergrad years at Duke. Frustrating, except for two glorious wins over the Twerps!

Two minor corrections: it was 17 seconds and I believe McGeachy was hired as an interim coach. His last win was Duke's 500th, and 10th of the season, preserving the record streak of double digit winning seasons.

Bill Foster brought in Jim Spanarkel my senior year. There was a bright light at the end of the tunnel!

Retire 34!

Tappan Zee Devil
08-28-2016, 08:34 PM
Those were my four undergrad years at Duke.

Goodness!
You are younger than me!

I thought you must be at least 84. ;)

regards
TZD

T'70
(Class of Stray Gator)

jimsumner
08-28-2016, 08:54 PM
Those were my four undergrad years at Duke. Frustrating, except for two glorious wins over the Twerps!

Two minor corrections: it was 17 seconds and I believe McGeachy was hired as an interim coach. His last win was Duke's 500th, and 10th of the season, preserving the record streak of double digit winning seasons.

Bill Foster brought in Jim Spanarkel my senior year. There was a bright light at the end of the tunnel!

Retire 34!

Neil McGeachy is quite insistent that he was never Duke's interim coach. He had a one-year contract. Not the same thing.

Trust me, this is very important to him.

grad_devil
08-29-2016, 01:33 PM
Neil McGeachy is quite insistent that he was never Duke's interim coach. He had a one-year contract. Not the same thing.

On a different note, Neil's health is pretty bad after suffering a stroke more than a year ago. In all of my interactions with him, I never had the guts to ask about his time at Duke. I seem to remember being told that it was still a...sensitive topic.

Spanarkel
08-29-2016, 01:49 PM
Curious if anyone has any thoughts about the surprisingly small number(given the prep basketball talent in the state) of Duke Men's BBall recruits from Georgia over the past 38+ years? I can only recall Jim Suddath(East Point), a pure shooter well before the three point line; William Avery(Augusta/graduated from Oak Hill Academy); Mark Causey(Gainesville/limited time in his sole season of 2001/2); Patrick Davidson(!)of Atlanta; and now Alex O'Connell(Alpharetta). I know Coach K pursued Tony Parker(Lithonia)hard before he finally committed to UCLA. May have missed out on someone. Thanks!

77devil
08-29-2016, 01:50 PM
Two minor corrections: it was 17 seconds

My daughter received an MBA from UCLA business school in June. Mitch Kupchak was the commencement speaker. Unfortunately, he used that game, collective groan from my family, and the speech the Deano gave the team at the beginning of the comeback as a life lesson on never giving up.-"After we win this game, you'll remember it for the rest of your life."

Emily gave him a "Go Duke" when she shook his hand and received her diploma.

plimnko
08-29-2016, 02:39 PM
Curious if anyone has any thoughts about the surprisingly small number(given the prep basketball talent in the state) of Duke Men's BBall recruits from Georgia over the past 38+ years? I can only recall Jim Suddath(East Point), a pure shooter well before the three point line; William Avery(Augusta/graduated from Oak Hill Academy); Mark Causey(Gainesville/limited time in his sole season of 2001/2); Patrick Davidson(!)of Atlanta; and now Alex O'Connell(Alpharetta). I know Coach K pursued Tony Parker(Lithonia)hard before he finally committed to UCLA. May have missed out on someone. Thanks!

speaking missing out on someone.....thank GOD k missed on tony parker!!

plimnko
08-29-2016, 02:40 PM
My daughter received an MBA from UCLA business school in June. Mitch Kupchak was the commencement speaker. Unfortunately, he used that game, collective groan from my family, and the speech the Deano gave the team at the beginning of the comeback as a life lesson on never giving up.-"After we win this game, you'll remember it for the rest of your life."

i like her style!!!

Olympic Fan
08-29-2016, 05:52 PM

And Carl James was very specific when he announced McGeachy's hiring that he was NOT an interim coach.

However, he later confessed that as soon as he walked out of the press conference introducing McGeachy to the media, he started looking for (in his words) "the best coach in America." Not sure he quite did that, but Bill Foster was as good a program-builder (which Duke needed at that point) as was available at that time.

PS And, Ozzie, while you are right that Neil's last win (a 70-60 home win over Georgia Tech) did keep Duke's streak of double-figure win seasons alive, that was not Duke's 500th win. In fact, the victory BEFORE that game -- Feb. 13 vs. Virginia in Cameron -- was Duke's 1,000th victory. McGeachy's last win was 1,001. We've had 1,085 since.

superdave
08-29-2016, 09:23 PM

Mitch Kupchak is a real wanker. I hope you high fived your daughter after that.

I should add that I appreciate the history of the program and context that many of you provide, on display in this thread.

Welcome to Duke, Alex. We are glad to have you!

heyman25
08-30-2016, 05:44 PM
I just posted this on the recruiting thread, but I remember Duke Cheerleader Laura Barbour was dating Dave O'Connell when I was at Duke.She was in the class of 1975. I knew her brother Chuck Barbour at Durham High. I may be spelling Barbour wrong, but I think this is the correct spelling. Is she the mother of Alex O'Connell?

Spanarkel
08-31-2016, 07:54 AM
I just posted this on the recruiting thread, but I remember Duke Cheerleader Laura Barbour was dating Dave O'Connell when I was at Duke.She was in the class of 1975. I knew her brother Chuck Barbour at Durham High. I may be spelling Barbour wrong, but I think this is the correct spelling. Is she the mother of Alex O'Connell?

The Georgia Southern Basketball website(Alex's brother Shawn plays for GSU)lists Shawn's parents as Dave and Crystal.

Duke76
11-24-2016, 09:17 AM

Retire 34!

I dont know about you and your friends Ozzie, but over at Brown House we all thought Dave was the next Charlie Scott, I too was there from 72-76 and seeing him his freshman year, I swear the guy could take a quarter off the top of the backboard. His son will put on weight I'm sure and so maybe he can last at Duke without any injuries...As an aside were would you and your buddies sit? We sat on the right side of the court, usually front friggin row or a couple back across from opposing team bench. I think the earliest we ever had to get to a game to those seats was about 4:00pm or so for an 8:00pm game...which I think was when the usually got started back then.

Don't think I missed a game, best as you say was beating MD. that famous Melchionni, loudest night ever till this day, I swear, tears to my eyes. Craziest thing i saw was Alan Shaw and Jeff Burdette's pre game warmup included a few minutes of throwing full length court passes to each other...funn to look at roster stats from freshman year..http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duke/1973.html.

Anyway Happy Thanksgiving to all.

75Crazie
11-24-2016, 08:12 PM
To this day I still look upon that Melchionni game against the Terps with mixed emotions. I was as delirious as anybody at that game, because of the sheer magnitude of the upset and the skill with which Melchionni directed the offense. And yet, even in the midst of the delirium, I could just not get over the fact that the offense he ran was that abomination that must not be named. It hurts a little less to call it the Mongoose, which was the name Waters called it ... but we all know what it really was.

I have no memory if O'Connell played in that game or not. I do remember that it was obvious, by that time, that the skills which were so evident early on that year were offset by the poor state of his knees. I still wonder what would have happened to Duke basketball during that time if he had been able to play without pain and if Willie Hodge had played with effort that matched his magnificent skills.

jimsumner
11-24-2016, 11:30 PM
To this day I still look upon that Melchionni game against the Terps with mixed emotions. I was as delirious as anybody at that game, because of the sheer magnitude of the upset and the skill with which Melchionni directed the offense. And yet, even in the midst of the delirium, I could just not get over the fact that the offense he ran was that abomination that must not be named. It hurts a little less to call it the Mongoose, which was the name Waters called it ... but we all know what it really was.

I have no memory if O'Connell played in that game or not. I do remember that it was obvious, by that time, that the skills which were so evident early on that year were offset by the poor state of his knees. I still wonder what would have happened to Duke basketball during that time if he had been able to play without pain and if Willie Hodge had played with effort that matched his magnificent skills.

An unranked Duke team defeated third-ranked Maryland 85-81 and you have mixed emotions?

Tough crowd.

In the early part of his Duke tenure, before the advent of the shot clock, Mike Krzyzewski coached games at Duke with scores of 40-36, 52-51, and 47-46, among others. I remember sitting in Reynolds Coliseum and watching K's first Duke team spread the court and hold the ball against Valvano's first State team and pull out a 56-47 win.

Every coach worthy of their salary had some variant of the four corners, a legal strategy used to maximize a team's chances of winning a game. Dean Smith's teams were just better at it.

OZZIE4DUKE
11-25-2016, 06:32 AM
I dont know about you and your friends Ozzie, but over at Brown House we all thought Dave was the next Charlie Scott, I too was there from 72-76 and seeing him his freshman year, I swear the guy could take a quarter off the top of the backboard. His son will put on weight I'm sure and so maybe he can last at Duke without any injuries...As an aside were would you and your buddies sit? We sat on the right side of the court, usually front friggin row or a couple back across from opposing team bench. I think the earliest we ever had to get to a game to those seats was about 4:00pm or so for an 8:00pm game...which I think was when the usually got started back then.

Don't think I missed a game, best as you say was beating MD. that famous Melchionni, loudest night ever till this day, I swear, tears to my eyes. Craziest thing i saw was Alan Shaw and Jeff Burdette's pre game warmup included a few minutes of throwing full length court passes to each other...funn to look at roster stats from freshman year..http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duke/1973.html.

Anyway Happy Thanksgiving to all.
We Phi Psi's sat in the fourth row, just behind the visiting team bench and their JV football team buffer zone. Starting sophomore year, I was the guy with the air horn!

Indoor66
11-25-2016, 07:55 AM
And I was upstairs complaining about the Air Horn. 😝😠😎

Duke76
11-25-2016, 12:52 PM
An unranked Duke team defeated third-ranked Maryland 85-81 and you have mixed emotions?

Tough crowd.

In the early part of his Duke tenure, before the advent of the shot clock, Mike Krzyzewski coached games at Duke with scores of 40-36, 52-51, and 47-46, among others. I remember sitting in Reynolds Coliseum and watching K's first Duke team spread the court and hold the ball against Valvano's first State team and pull out a 56-47 win.

Every coach worthy of their salary had some variant of the four corners, a legal strategy used to maximize a team's chances of winning a game. Dean Smith's teams were just better at it.

Shoot, back then we were scratching and clawing for any kinda win. I thought it was beautiful watching Gary take Lucas and others on that team one on one down the lane...he had the most beautiful little spin move and floating left hand shot down the lane around the free throw line. nobody could stop him...till this day I still think it was the best individual performance in Cameron, course I am biased as I saw it live...Tate Armstrong was close with some of his performances

BD80
11-25-2016, 01:13 PM
... Every coach worthy of their salary had some variant of the four corners, a legal strategy used to maximize a team's chances of winning a game. Dean Smith's teams were just better at it.

When he had Phil Ford running it.

sagegrouse
11-25-2016, 01:35 PM

Tough crowd.

Every coach worthy of their salary had some variant of the four corners, a legal strategy used to maximize a team's chances of winning a game. Dean Smith's teams were just better at it.Yeah, well I was in Greensboro for the 47-45 game -- Worthy and Jordan for UNC vs. Ralph Sampson and Virginia. The sheep held the ball for most of the game as I remember, cuz Dean had a one-point lead and Virginia had retreated to a zone defense.

Historic game, IMHO (where the H has been missing for almost a decade) in that it eventually led to the shot clock. The ACC and NCAA were egged on, I am sure, by network execs who said, "We ain't putting this [stuff] on TV any more."

DST Fan
11-25-2016, 01:42 PM
Craziest thing i saw was Alan Shaw and Jeff Burdette's pre game warmup included a few minutes of throwing full length court passes to each other...funn to look at roster stats from freshman year..http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duke/1973.html.

I played basketball in high school with Jeff Burdette. As a point guard, he warmed up the same way in high school and threw long passes to his inside players. He also was a wide receiver on our high school football team and I assumed he based the drill on the pre-game passing warm ups on the sidelines with his quarterback.