PDA

View Full Version : Hell or High Water

Udaman
08-23-2016, 10:48 AM
Best movie of 2016 thus far....and it's not even close.

Fantastic acting (especially from Foster, Pine and Bridges - Birmingham is also great), compelling story, great tension, amazing cinematography. Watching this movie was watching pure art. I enjoyed every second of it, and didn't want it to end. It made me care about pretty much everyone, which is an impressive thing to do, given what's going on in the movie. Right now it would win (easily) my vote for Best Picture and Best Supporting Actor (for Bridges). Pine should also get a Best Actor nod from this, and Foster a Best Supporting Actor nod. Incidentally, there's one scene in the middle of the movie in a Texas local steak house, where the waitress deserves an Academy Award nomination for the 2 minutes she's in the film....it's that good.

Go see this movie!

(By the way, if I had to do a ranking right now of best movies of 2016, they would be, in order:

Hell or High Water (way ahead)
Deadpool
The Witch
Captain America Civil War
10 Cloverfield Lane
Zootopia

DUKIECB
08-23-2016, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the review Udaman, I had posted about this movie in the contest thread and was hoping someone had seen it. Your review is very much in line with what the critics are saying but I like to hear what us non critic folks have to say as well. I live an hour away from the closest theater showing it right now. I'm hoping it will gain some screens or maybe I can convince my wife to make the drive to see it.

devildeac
08-23-2016, 01:00 PM
Fooled me. I thought you were referring to this:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/735/4202/

:o :rolleyes:

Olympic Fan
08-23-2016, 01:19 PM
Best movie of 2016 thus far...and it's not even close.

Fantastic acting (especially from Foster, Pine and Bridges - Birmingham is also great), compelling story, great tension, amazing cinematography. Watching this movie was watching pure art. I enjoyed every second of it, and didn't want it to end. It made me care about pretty much everyone, which is an impressive thing to do, given what's going on in the movie. Right now it would win (easily) my vote for Best Picture and Best Supporting Actor (for Bridges). Pine should also get a Best Actor nod from this, and Foster a Best Supporting Actor nod. Incidentally, there's one scene in the middle of the movie in a Texas local steak house, where the waitress deserves an Academy Award nomination for the 2 minutes she's in the film...it's that good.

Go see this movie!

(By the way, if I had to do a ranking right now of best movies of 2016, they would be, in order:

Deadpool
The Witch
10 Cloverfield Lane
Zootopia

It's always good to base your decision on a review by how often (or rarely) their opinion jibes with your own.

Considering my reaction to the five earlier movies on your list range from pure disgust (Deadpool) to major disappointment (Captain America) to disinterest (Zootopia, 10 Cloverfield Lane) ... I think I'll take a pass on Hell or High Water (and The Witch, which I haven't seen).

Not saying you are wrong, but your tastes obviously don't jibe with mine.

Udaman
08-23-2016, 01:48 PM
Ha. Fair enough I guess. I will admit that the list this year is pretty weak this far. But Hell or High Water was outstanding. Truly. See it just to watch Bridges give one of the more realistic performances I've ever seen. It's also a movie - at its heart - about love and friendship and the subtle ways that people sometimes show those things to each other.

As an aside - what are some of your favorite movies of the past 10 years. Maybe there's common ground there.

PackMan97
08-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Fooled me. I thought you were referring to this:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/735/4202/

:o :rolleyes:

I actually thought the thread was going to be about the flooding in Baton Rouge, LA...in which case the answer is BOTH!

77devil
08-23-2016, 02:32 PM
It's always good to base your decision on a review by how often (or rarely) their opinion jibes with your own.

Considering my reaction to the five earlier movies on your list range from pure disgust (Deadpool) to major disappointment (Captain America) to disinterest (Zootopia, 10 Cloverfield Lane) ... I think I'll take a pass on Hell or High Water (and The Witch, which I haven't seen).

Not saying you are wrong, but your tastes obviously don't jibe with mine.

Linking Joe Morgenstern's review from the WSJ who calls it a deeply enjoyable film that is hauntingly powerful. Can't speak for Udaman's taste because I haven't seen any of the movies on the list, but I usually agree with Morgenstern.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/hell-or-high-water-review-robbers-who-leave-us-richer-1471545968

JasonEvans
08-23-2016, 05:09 PM

Deadpool
The Witch
10 Cloverfield Lane
Zootopia

Sadly I have not seen HoHW yet. I have heard wonderful things though and will see it soon. I get the feeling it is the only truly Oscar caliber film that has been released thus far this year.

Your list demonstrates what a truly lousy year it has been thus far for movies. In the past few years by this point we had gotten something truly special and visionary like (from 2015) Ex Machina, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Walk, Sicario, Love & Mercy, and Inside Out or (from 2014) Boyhood, The Lego Movie, Edge of Tomorrow, Guardians of the Galaxy, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, and Cap: Winter Soldier. That's 6 very high quality (Oscar caliber) films to hit theaters by the end of summer in each of those years. This year (aside from Hell or High Water), I think the only film that is as good as any of those is Cap Civil War. Cloverfield Lane and Zootopia were very good (so was Finding Dory and especially The Jungle Book, my pick as the second best movie of the year thus far), but are all a slight notch below what we have seen in recent years.

I'm hopeful for the next few months. Obviously, we will start to get the real high-quality Oscar contenders in mid-October and through the winter.

-Jason "by the way, I'm betting there will be no #OscarSoWhite controversy this year as Loving and Birth of a Nation will be leading Oscar contenders (unless Birth gets shunned due to Nate Parker's rape controversy)" Evans

bjornolf
08-24-2016, 07:14 AM
Imdb claims the Witch was 2015. Assuming that's correct, what replaces it in your top 6? :cool:

Udaman
08-24-2016, 09:52 AM
Definitely 2016. The Witch was released in February 2016.

It's an odd movie. Dark. Only a few actors. Dialect is in 1700 NE talk (this hard to follow sometimes), but very cerebral and pretty haunting. Not as good as It Follows, and likely won't remain on the list by year end. But a pretty good movie overall.