PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Cash with the Panthers

Spoke
08-23-2016, 06:58 AM
A nice piece on Jeremy Cash and his efforts to catch on with the Panthers. (http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2016/08/21/carolina-panthers-jeremy-cash/)

“Jeremy Cash is really starting to come into his own” Rivera said recently. “He is one of those guys that seems to be around the ball. Very active around the football, and that is what we are looking for.”

left_hook_lacey
08-23-2016, 07:27 AM
As a Panthers fan, this has me stoked. Would love to see JC make it to the field in Charlotte. :cool:

GGLC
08-23-2016, 12:34 PM
I am rooting for him so hard.

JNort
08-25-2016, 03:52 PM
I was hoping we would draft him and was stoked when we grabbed him as a FA! However he is in a tough position trying to play at a different spot, he's small and lacks the top end speed you want at the NFL level. He is a baller though and just has a real sense for the game. Luckily he doesn't have to be a big contributor right now with linebacker being the strongest position.

English
08-26-2016, 11:36 AM
I was hoping we would draft him and was stoked when we grabbed him as a FA! However he is in a tough position trying to play at a different spot, he's small and lacks the top end speed you want at the NFL level. He is a baller though and just has a real sense for the game. Luckily he doesn't have to be a big contributor right now with linebacker being the strongest position.

Cash is in a great position to make a 53-man roster, although as has been mentioned earlier, he's got a long road to hoe with the Thers. The Panthers LB corps is tops in the league, and his best chance to make the squad is to excel at special teams, at which he's acquitted himself well so far through preseason. FWIW (not much), the local Panthers bloggers project Cash to make the squad as the last LB, beating out Ben Jacobs who was on the team last season.

I'm watching very intently--if he makes the 53, I'm very likely to pull the trigger on a 57-jersey.

If he doesn't catch on in Carolina, though, he's very unlikely to make it through waivers (the process that would happen before the Panthers could place him on their practice squad). Some other team is bound to scoop him up for their active roster, since many/most/all other teams lack the top-end depth at the position that Carolina enjoys. Despite my absolute giddiness to see Cash on the Panthers squad, it may be in his best interests for burn to land elsewhere.

BD80
08-26-2016, 12:26 PM
I was a bit confused about Cash at LB, until I read the article:

Cash, one of the NFL’s most sought after undrafted free agents, came into Panthers rookie camp looking more like a safety instead of the linebacker position the Carolina Panthers had assigned him. “I came in at 205” Cash told me after the Tennessee Titans preseason game. “I am about 221 right now.”

I would have thought he would be more of a strong safety, covering TEs and supporting the run defense, in primarily on running downs.

Now, it seems he'll be more of a passing down kind of LB, still covering TEs, but making plays on the ball. I just can't see him setting the edge against a pulling guard.

He should be amazing on special teams @ 220#. He'd never make it though waivers.

jimsumner
08-26-2016, 01:19 PM
Cash is in a great position to make a 53-man roster, although as has been mentioned earlier, he's got a long road to hoe with the Thers.

It's "row to hoe." As in a row of crops. "Road to hoe" makes absolutely zero sense.

Pet peeve.

Back to your regular programming.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-26-2016, 01:28 PM
Cash is in a great position to make a 53-man roster, although as has been mentioned earlier, he's got a long road to hoe with the Thers. The Panthers LB corps is tops in the league, and his best chance to make the squad is to excel at special teams, at which he's acquitted himself well so far through preseason. FWIW (not much), the local Panthers bloggers project Cash to make the squad as the last LB, beating out Ben Jacobs who was on the team last season.

I'm watching very intently--if he makes the 53, I'm very likely to pull the trigger on a 57-jersey.

If he doesn't catch on in Carolina, though, he's very unlikely to make it through waivers (the process that would happen before the Panthers could place him on their practice squad). Some other team is bound to scoop him up for their active roster, since many/most/all other teams lack the top-end depth at the position that Carolina enjoys. Despite my absolute giddiness to see Cash on the Panthers squad, it may be in his best interests for burn to land elsewhere.

How about a Panthers' themed "Cash Rules Everything Around Me" tee?

Faison1
08-26-2016, 01:30 PM
It's "row to hoe." As in a row of crops. "Road to hoe" makes absolutely zero sense.

Pet peeve.

That's hilarious...

Jim, while we're on the subject, is it "Coming down the pike" or "Coming down the pipe"?

BD80
08-26-2016, 01:30 PM
... "Road to hoe" makes absolutely zero sense.

Unless you are talking about UL basketball recruiting ...

oldnavy
08-26-2016, 03:33 PM

Pet peeve.

Same with "in the short rows"... meaning near the end. Has no meaning whatsoever to folks that didn't grow up around gardens or farms!

OZZIE4DUKE
08-26-2016, 04:09 PM
Same with "in the short rows"... meaning near the end. Has no meaning whatsoever to folks that didn't grow up around gardens or farms!
That has something to do with harvesting tobacco. I've driven by many, but thank God I've never been in a tobacco field, so I'm not exactly sure what. Maybe the last rows are the shortest, or something like that!

Newton_14
08-26-2016, 04:33 PM
That has something to do with harvesting tobacco. I've driven by many, but thank God I've never been in a tobacco field, so I'm not exactly sure what. Maybe the last rows are the shortest, or something like that!
Correct. Due to shapes of most fields back in the day the shorter rows were on the sides of the field, so when you were almost finished with the field you were in the short rows. Heard and used that saying all my life.

And don't worry, I was in enough tobacco fields to cover you and me both....

Bob Green
08-26-2016, 06:18 PM
And don't worry, I was in enough tobacco fields to cover you and me both...

I hear you Newton_14 and if some smoker out there is waiting for me to get back into a tobacco field his/her next smoke is going to be a long time coming.

CDu
08-26-2016, 07:06 PM
Correct. Due to shapes of most fields back in the day the shorter rows were on the sides of the field, so when you were almost finished with the field you were in the short rows. Heard and used that saying all my life.

And don't worry, I was in enough tobacco fields to cover you and me both...

I hear you Newton_14 and if some smoker out there is waiting for me to get back into a tobacco field his/her next smoke is going to be a long time coming.

My dad spent his summers working tobacco fields. He said it was by far the worst job he ever had.

oldnavy
08-27-2016, 04:32 AM
My dad spent his summers working tobacco fields. He said it was by far the worst job he ever had.

It does... hard, very dirty work.

Now, the best job I ever had was as a lifeguard at a country club one summer.... if I could have made a living doing that there would be no "OldNavy", but alas, I usually owed most of my pay check to the snack bar.

I did get to "work" with Ben Bennett that summer which just made it that much more fun. Dude was fun to hang with, since we never had to buy our own pitchers of beer!

No good memories of summer "priming tobacco" however.

Didn't watch the whole game last night, so did Jeremy get on the field at all?

moonpie23
08-27-2016, 08:54 AM
Now, the best job I ever had was as a lifeguard at a country club one summer...

i could write a book about my exploits as a lifeguard at the hoity toity country club pool......

English
08-27-2016, 05:31 PM
Didn't watch the whole game last night, so did Jeremy get on the field at all?

#57 is in the concussion protocol. Precautionary, but a bummer at the same.

SCMatt33
08-27-2016, 06:50 PM

I haven't seen anything, so I don't know any circumstances, but how is someone both in concussion protocol and out as a precaution? I usually assume precautionary to mean that he could play, but it's not an important enough situation to warrant it, while concussion protocol is mandatory bench until you can pass.

sagegrouse
08-27-2016, 07:18 PM

I haven't seen anything, so I don't know any circumstances, but how is someone both in concussion protocol and out as a precaution? I usually assume precautionary to mean that he could play, but it's not an important enough situation to warrant it, while concussion protocol is mandatory bench until you can pass.

I understand limitations on posting from the phone, especially a keypad, but can we observe the "who, what, when, where, why and how" whenever practical? It's the "why and how" I'm missing (although I am guessing at the "who"). Also, worthy of a cite or site -- heard on the radio, in the papers, through a phone call, whatever.

ricks68
08-27-2016, 08:15 PM

See your tobacco field and raise you one lime picking stint in southern Miami during the heat of the summer.:(

ricks

tfk53
08-28-2016, 03:32 PM
See your tobacco field and raise you one lime picking stint in southern Miami during the heat of the summer.:(

ricks

But you don't get Green Tobacco Sickness from picking limes. Only happens to do those uninitiated to nicotine. Not a fun feeling. Have treated many folks with it over the years during the summer priming days. One of the reasons kids started smoking was so they would not get sick while priming.

Now back to Cash - loved watching him play defense at Duke, basically playing at different roles at different times. Sports Illustrated had article in their college preview about similar defensive players this year which allow teams to change their defensive scheme without having to substitute players - Peppers at Michigan, for example. Cash was mentioned as to how he filled that role at Duke so well.

English
08-29-2016, 10:00 AM
I understand limitations on posting from the phone, especially a keypad, but can we observe the "who, what, when, where, why and how" whenever practical? It's the "why and how" I'm missing (although I am guessing at the "who"). Also, worthy of a cite or site -- heard on the radio, in the papers, through a phone call, whatever.

Apologies for the cryptic post earlier--according to CBSSports and WRALSportsFan, Jeremy Cash (#57 on the Panthers) was removed from Friday's matchup with the Pats in the third quarter and taken to the locker room to be evaluated for a possible concussion. I didn't see the event that may have resulted in the injury (I DVR'd the NFL Network replay, which abridges the games), so I can't comment on the how.

Cash himself later tweeted out that he's fine and will be back out on the field this week. The term "precautionary" was thrown out by the coaching staff after the game (apologies, cannot find link), presumably because it wasn't clear to the medical staff whether or not a concussion occurred so, by SOP, they were conservative started monitoring. From the sound of Cash's tweet ("Just wanted to thank everyone for their concern. I'm just fine and looking forward to getting back after it next week! #KeepPounding #BDH"), it's possible he was determined not to have suffered a concussion at all (excellent news).

Here's the latter link...http://www.wralsportsfan.com/five-takeaways-from-panthers-loss-to-new-england/15966641/

sagegrouse
08-30-2016, 12:32 AM
Apologies for the cryptic post earlier--according to CBSSports and WRALSportsFan, Jeremy Cash (#57 on the Panthers) was removed from Friday's matchup with the Pats in the third quarter and taken to the locker room to be evaluated for a possible concussion. I didn't see the event that may have resulted in the injury (I DVR'd the NFL Network replay, which abridges the games), so I can't comment on the how.

Cash himself later tweeted out that he's fine and will be back out on the field this week. The term "precautionary" was thrown out by the coaching staff after the game (apologies, cannot find link), presumably because it wasn't clear to the medical staff whether or not a concussion occurred so, by SOP, they were conservative started monitoring. From the sound of Cash's tweet ("Just wanted to thank everyone for their concern. I'm just fine and looking forward to getting back after it next week! #KeepPounding #BDH"), it's possible he was determined not to have suffered a concussion at all (excellent news).

Here's the latter link...http://www.wralsportsfan.com/five-takeaways-from-panthers-loss-to-new-england/15966641/

Thanks for the response. Sorry to appear crotchety.

Kindly,
Sage

ricks68
09-01-2016, 12:30 AM
But you don't get Green Tobacco Sickness from picking limes. Only happens to do those uninitiated to nicotine. Not a fun feeling. Have treated many folks with it over the years during the summer priming days. One of the reasons kids started smoking was so they would not get sick while priming.

Now back to Cash - loved watching him play defense at Duke, basically playing at different roles at different times. Sports Illustrated had article in their college preview about similar defensive players this year which allow teams to change their defensive scheme without having to substitute players - Peppers at Michigan, for example. Cash was mentioned as to how he filled that role at Duke so well.

So, we started with tobacco harvesting in the South, and then moved to lime picking south of Miami. Now, how did we end up with peppers in Michigan?:confused::p:p;)

(By the way, Jeremy Cash is on my list of all-time favorite Duke football players that I have seen play. Some other notable players on my list are Sonny Jurgensen, Mike Curtis, Bob Matheson and Ed Newman. So, I think IMHO that he is in pretty good company as far as I am concerned.)

ricks

alteran
09-01-2016, 11:51 AM
That's hilarious...

Jim, while we're on the subject, is it "Coming down the pike" or "Coming down the pipe"?

I think both are valid, as a pike can be short for "turnpike,", i.e., a road.

For me, "read the handwriting on the wall" just grates on my nerves. Ugh. If it's on a wall, it's not handwriting (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/handwriting), people!

The phrases "read the handwriting" and "read the writing on the wall" got mixed somewhere in America, hopefully at first as a joke. I guess I just gotta get over it, because they put the screwed up idiomatic phrase right there on the definition page now.

Back on-topic.

Thrilled to hear Cash is hanging on at the Panthers. I know people talk about his size and speed being a little off for the pros, but this guy is fearsomely bright and just a flat-out winner. He's going places in this league, it's just a matter of which team reaps the reward.

BD80
09-01-2016, 01:13 PM
... For me, "read the handwriting on the wall" just grates on my nerves. Ugh. If it's on a wall, it's not handwriting (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/handwriting), people!

The phrases "read the handwriting" and "read the writing on the wall" got mixed somewhere in America, hopefully at first as a joke. I guess I just gotta get over it, because they put the screwed up idiomatic phrase right there on the definition page now.

Um, if I pick up a pen and write on a wall, isn't that handwriting on the wall?

Now, I would understand nobody wanting to read it.

cato
09-01-2016, 02:29 PM
I think both are valid, as a pike can be short for "turnpike,", i.e., a road.

For me, "read the handwriting on the wall" just grates on my nerves. Ugh. If it's on a wall, it's not handwriting (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/handwriting), people!

Back on-topic.

Thrilled to hear Cash is hanging on at the Panthers. I know people talk about his size and speed being a little off for the pros, but this guy is fearsomely bright and just a flat-out winner. He's going places in this league, it's just a matter of which team reaps the reward.

Speaking of which, do you know the origin of "read the writing on the wall"? The phrase itself doesn't have much inherent meaning now. But that's a whole nother thing.

sagegrouse
09-01-2016, 03:27 PM
Speaking of which, do you know the origin of "read the writing on the wall"? The phrase itself doesn't have much inherent meaning now. But that's a whole nother thing.

I think the copyright on this has expired, so I quote in full, the second part in the voice of Daniel. By the way, why isn't this the "handwriting on the wall," since a hand appeared?

5 Suddenly the fingers of a human hand appeared and wrote on the plaster of the wall, near the lampstand in the royal palace. The king watched the hand as it wrote. 6 His face turned pale and he was so frightened that his legs became weak and his knees were knocking.

“This is the inscription that was written:

mene, mene, tekel, parsin

26 “Here is what these words mean:

Mene: God has numbered the days of your reign and brought it to an end.

27 Tekel: You have been weighed on the scales and found wanting.

28 Peres: Your kingdom is divided and given to the Medes and Persians.”

29 Then at Belshazzar’s command, Daniel was clothed in purple, a gold chain was placed around his neck, and he was proclaimed the third highest ruler in the kingdom.

30 That very night Belshazzar, king of the Babylonians,[h] was slain, 31 and Darius the Mede took over the kingdom, at the age of sixty-two.[i]

DukieInKansas
09-01-2016, 03:31 PM

It comes from the Book of Daniel, Chapter 5. At Belshazzar's feast in the temple, God wrote a message on the wall that no one could read. He called Daniel to read it - and it predicted the end of Belshazzar's days. From the link below: "The point of the moral tale was that Belshazzar couldn't see the warning that was apparent to others because he was engrossed with his sinning ways. "

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/the-writing-is-on-the-wall.html

eta: Sage Grouse types faster.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-01-2016, 05:45 PM

Grrr...

Every time someone uses the phrase "a whole nother..." I die a little inside.

There are no "nothers," whole or partial.

(Apologies if this was tongue-in-cheek)
(Or even if it wasn't)

/stomps off into the Internet ether

OZ
09-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Grrr...

(Or even if it wasn't)

Grrrrrr... It just burns my rear to come here expecting an update on Cash and find this #$%@&^%!

chrishoke
09-01-2016, 05:58 PM
I just re-watched the GT game last year - Cash in classic beast mode - what a joy.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-01-2016, 06:36 PM
Grrrrrr... It just burns my rear to come here expecting an update on Cash and find this #$%@&^%!

Jeepers. I guess we all have our pet peeves!

cato
09-01-2016, 07:12 PM
Grrr...

(Or even if it wasn't)

Allow me to quote Stewie Griffin: "And finally, anyone who uses the terms irregardless, a-whole-nother or all-of-the-sudden will be sent to a work camp."

cato
09-01-2016, 07:15 PM

"Grinds my gears" would have been a better tie-in. Just sayin.

sagegrouse
09-01-2016, 07:35 PM
Grrr...

(Or even if it wasn't)

IIRC (and there is always a first time) William Safire, author of the "On Language" column in the NY Times Mag as well as a political commentator, devoted an entire column to the word "nother" and other such colloquialisms. I believe he was tolerant, but I can't seem to find the column. Here is a joking usage by his successor, Jack Rosenthal in 2009:

There is also a semantic facet of baseball that might be called a whole ’nother ballgame: baseball terms have also become part of other languages. The Japanese love besuboru, reflecting the phonetic phenomenon of lallation, reversing “r” and “l.” In Spanish, beisbol has its own hybrid language.

Indoor66
09-01-2016, 08:20 PM
"Prolly" drives me nuts. TWO more letters (net) and you spell it properly. I just don't get it.

moonpie23
09-01-2016, 08:23 PM
"Prolly" drives me nuts. TWO more letters (net) and you spell it properly. I just don't get it.

i prolly do that some...

sagegrouse
09-01-2016, 08:33 PM
IIRC (and there is always a first time) William Safire, author of the "On Language" column in the NY Times Mag as well as a political commentator, devoted an entire column to the word "nother" and other such colloquialisms. I believe he was tolerant, but I can't seem to find the column. Here is a joking usage by his successor, Jack Rosenthal in 2009:

Here's a quote from a Safire column on literary allusions in regular old newspapers. His term for "nother" is "infix" and gives emphasis.

(But let us steer clear of biblical allusion, which is a whole nother ballgame. You don't like ''a whole nother''? It's called an infix, and is used for emphasis. I digress.)

PSurprise
09-01-2016, 08:39 PM
We've diverged from the original topic, haven't we?

Not making any judgements (judgments), just saying
:D

MChambers
09-01-2016, 08:56 PM

Pet peeve.

Well, for all intensive purposes, it's the same thing.

johnb
09-01-2016, 09:18 PM

I was so thrilled that you brought this around to the original topic: idiosyncratic, literary pet peeves. This is my personal fave.

Frost writes,

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both...

and then, later, he writes

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I —
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

So is the story about picking the wrong road?? No!

The roads weren't especially different:

...Then took the other, just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

They weren't really that different. The focus of the poem is the author's tendency to regret his
decisions, not a regret over choosing the wrong path.

the key issue is that the two roads were the same. He may be telling of his decision with a sigh, but it's a sigh that indicates his tendency towards reflexive regret rather than his decision to make poor decisions. The problem is his regretful indecisions, which--imho--puts it in the same category as t.s. Eliot's prufrock, in which the protagonist wonders, do I dare to eat a peach?

Those were uncertain days for America, well
before we became a
Bunch of muscular Christians, to quote Joyce.

To bring this back to Cash, one of his 99%ile qualities is his decisiveness. Unlike the protagonists of Eliot and Frost, Cash attacks
with clarity, functioning, as he said last year, as a hammer rather than a nail and certainly not as a navel gazer who wrings his sweaty palms over
whether he should have attacked the runner or hung back to cover the tight end. In many ways Cash lives up to his name. He is not Cash as metaphor or neurotic conflict, he is Cash as money. And it'd be great seeing him as money on the field next year.

Faison1
09-01-2016, 09:47 PM

That's prolly true. The handwriting is on the wall that we need to move on. Talking about Jeremy Cash is a whole nother story.

I'm hoping for the best, but I think he has a long road to hoe on this one...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-01-2016, 10:17 PM
That's prolly true. The handwriting is on the wall that we need to move on. Talking about Jeremy Cash is a whole nother story.

I'm hoping for the best, but I think he has a long road to hoe on this one...

Head asplodes...

IsInTheDetails
09-01-2016, 10:27 PM
Irregardless* of this fascinating thread, Cash is leading the Panthers with 7 tackles (5 solo) as the minutes tick down in their final preseason tilt against the Steelers.

*Yep, that's mine.

cato
09-01-2016, 11:46 PM
I was so thrilled that you brought this around to the original topic: idiosyncratic, literary pet peeves. This is my personal fave.

Frost writes,

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both...

and then, later, he writes

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I —
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference

So is the story about picking the wrong road?? No!

The roads weren't especially different:

...Then took the other, just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

They weren't really that different. The focus of the poem is the author's tendency to regret his
decisions, not a regret over choosing the wrong path.

the key issue is that the two roads were the same. He may be telling of his decision with a sigh, but it's a sigh that indicates his tendency towards reflexive regret rather than his decision to make poor decisions. The problem is his regretful indecisions, which--imho--puts it in the same category as t.s. Eliot's prufrock, in which the protagonist wonders, do I dare to eat a peach?

Those were uncertain days for America, well
before we became a
Bunch of muscular Christians, to quote Joyce.

To bring this back to Cash, one of his 99%ile qualities is his decisiveness. Unlike the protagonists of Eliot and Frost, Cash attacks
with clarity, functioning, as he said last year, as a hammer rather than a nail and certainly not as a navel gazer who wrings his sweaty palms over
whether he should have attacked the runner or hung back to cover the tight end. In many ways Cash lives up to his name. He is not Cash as metaphor or neurotic conflict, he is Cash as money. And it'd be great seeing him as money on the field next year.

Straight Cash homie.

alteran
09-02-2016, 08:47 AM
Irregardless* of this fascinating thread, Cash is leading the Panthers with 7 tackles (5 solo) as the minutes tick down in their final preseason tilt against the Steelers.

*Yep, that's mine.

Is there a date where he is definitively either on or off the roster? Sure would like to root for him as a Panther.

Nick
09-02-2016, 09:16 AM
fwiw the Observer says Cash will make the final roster (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article99425322.html):

Linebackers (6): Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis, Shaq Thompson, A.J. Klein, David Mayo, Jeremy Cash

Every year there’s an undrafted rookie who catches the coaches’ eyes by making plays throughout the preseason. Cash, the former Duke standout, is that guy this year. GM Dave Gettleman has a tough decision to make between Mayo and Jacobs, both of whom are on all the special teams. Ultimately, the time Jacobs missed due to injury might be the difference.

oldnavy
09-02-2016, 09:48 AM
Is there a date where he is definitively either on or off the roster? Sure would like to root for him as a Panther.

Saturday at 4 p.m. Rosters are cut to 53.

cato
09-02-2016, 09:48 AM

Final cuts* are Saturday. We should know just before Cash's former teammates kick off their next campaign.

I don't follow the Panthers, but for those that do: has Jeremy been making any noise on special teams? I imagine that he won't get many snaps with the D barring injury, so his best path to keeping a roster spot is probably excelling on special teams and being attractive enough to other teams that he won't clear waivers if Carolina cuts him.

*Ignoring, for the moment, how precarious life is on the end of an NFL roster.

oldnavy
09-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Final cuts* are Saturday. We should know just before Cash's former teammates kick off their next campaign.

I don't follow the Panthers, but for those that do: has Jeremy been making any noise on special teams? I imagine that he won't get many snaps with the D barring injury, so his best path to keeping a roster spot is probably excelling on special teams and being attractive enough to other teams that he won't clear waivers if Carolina cuts him.

*Ignoring, for the moment, how precarious life is on the end of an NFL roster.

I think Cash will make the roster. If not I expect the Panthers to try to hide him on the practice squad, but I would bet he wouldn't stay there long before being picked up by someone else. Just my guess, however.

moonpie23
09-02-2016, 09:54 AM
cash was the leader last night.....he looked great...had a couple of sports center stops...

pulling for him

HK Dukie
09-02-2016, 11:51 AM
I think Cash will make the roster. If not I expect the Panthers to try to hide him on the practice squad, but I would bet he wouldn't stay there long before being picked up by someone else. Just my guess, however.

Cash did well enough in the pre-season that if the Panthers cut him, his film should get him on another roster before the Panthers would have the opportunity to sign him to the practice squad. He is essentially tied for 6th on the depth chart at LB (a ridiculously loaded group) and they could take 7 players at LB but that is unlikely if they keep 3 QBs (the 3rd QB would be an option at other positions as well so that makes it complicated). Seems like at least a 50% shot just based on the LB competition in isolation with a chance they keep all 7 so I would say 75% odds to make the 53 man roster. 95% odds to make any NFL roster for the start of the season and 5% to a practice squad.

He still looks like a stud in pre-season. Granted its just pre-season but he makes plays, over and over again. Led the team in tackles and solo tackles this past game for example. I think he will be extremely productive in his NFL career.

nmduke2001
09-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Cash did well enough in the pre-season that if the Panthers cut him, his film should get him on another roster before the Panthers would have the opportunity to sign him to the practice squad.

Honestly, I am kind of hoping Cash does get cut. Carolina has a lot of depth at LB and Cash likely wouldn't play a lot of downs there. I'm certain Cash would make a 53 man roster somewhere else and would likely have more opportunity for playing time. Cash is not a young rookie (will be 24 in December), so it would be nice for him to get some playing time right away.

oldnavy
09-02-2016, 12:58 PM
Cash did well enough in the pre-season that if the Panthers cut him, his film should get him on another roster before the Panthers would have the opportunity to sign him to the practice squad. He is essentially tied for 6th on the depth chart at LB (a ridiculously loaded group) and they could take 7 players at LB but that is unlikely if they keep 3 QBs (the 3rd QB would be an option at other positions as well so that makes it complicated). Seems like at least a 50% shot just based on the LB competition in isolation with a chance they keep all 7 so I would say 75% odds to make the 53 man roster. 95% odds to make any NFL roster for the start of the season and 5% to a practice squad.

He still looks like a stud in pre-season. Granted its just pre-season but he makes plays, over and over again. Led the team in tackles and solo tackles this past game for example. I think he will be extremely productive in his NFL career.

Cash has skills that the NFL is beginning to place a high value on. He is a "hybrid" Saftey/LB. I would bet money that you are right, he will play on Sunday's.

left_hook_lacey
09-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Honestly, I am kind of hoping Cash does get cut. Carolina has a lot of depth at LB and Cash likely wouldn't play a lot of downs there. I'm certain Cash would make a 53 man roster somewhere else and would likely have more opportunity for playing time. Cash is not a young rookie (will be 24 in December), so it would be nice for him to get some playing time right away.

I agree, to some extent. But if he could make the roster, there are worse things for a rookie LB to do besides watch and learn from Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis. Davis is no spring chicken, and Kuechly has had some injury issues. Learn the system from class acts like those two, then step up when your number is called.

But, if he doesn't make the final roster, he could have a long road to hoe, irregardless of his talent.

Exnicios
09-02-2016, 03:09 PM
ESPN Insiders were asked "who's an undrafted player to watch?" as the last of their 20 or so 2016 predictions (MVP, who wins the NFC East, Superbowl match up, etc.)

Matt Bowen and Mike Sando both chose Mr. Cash as their pick. Apologies for the ESPN Insider link, but for those who happen to be members here you go (http://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/17444524/espn-nfl-insiders-ultimate-2016-nfl-predictions).

First things first--I hope he makes the Panthers. It seems like a good sign that he continues to get strong press mentions locally as well as nationally.

toooskies
09-02-2016, 05:26 PM
Cash has skills that the NFL is beginning to place a high value on. He is a "hybrid" Saftey/LB. I would bet money that you are right, he will play on Sunday's.

It's amazing how Cash went from projected mid-round pick to tweener who was undraftable, and now back to being highly valued. It's as if no NFL team knew what it was doing during the draft.

oldnavy
09-02-2016, 11:03 PM
It's amazing how Cash went from projected mid-round pick to tweener who was undraftable, and now back to being highly valued. It's as if no NFL team knew what it was doing during the draft.

I was really surprised that he went undrafted. The NFL draft sometimes takes some strange turns. Carolina was lucky to get him.

Indoor66
09-03-2016, 08:14 AM

That number - 53 - brings back a lot of good memories for Duke fans and for Miami Dolphins fans.

anonj
09-03-2016, 10:56 AM
Cash made the Panthers final 53 according to his Twitter page and multiple outlets in Charlotte. Very happy for Jeremy - good news for me being a Panthers fan and all :cool:

ricks68
09-03-2016, 11:13 AM
That number - 53 - brings back a lot of good memories for Duke fans and for Miami Dolphins fans.

Yes it does.😊

ricks

Spoke
09-03-2016, 10:53 PM
More on Cash making the roster:

Charlotte Observer (https://www.google.com/amp/s/charlotteobserver.relaymedia.com/amp/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article99784937.html)

WRAL (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/former-duke-safety-jeremy-cash-secures-spot-on-panthers-53-man-roster/15984874/)

Newton_14
09-03-2016, 11:37 PM
#16-CashMoney was at the game tonight on the sidelines, and during a break they did a special on him, putting him on the big screen while announcing he had made the team and signed a contract today!

Great stuff!

OZZIE4DUKE
09-04-2016, 10:57 AM

Yes it does.��

ricks
Rare is it that a player has an entire defensive scheme named after him, or in this case, his number! :cool::D

rsvman
09-04-2016, 12:32 PM
I think both are valid...

Um, no. It's always been "pike" and it will always be "pike." It was never "pipe" and it will never be "pipe."

Speaking of which, I hope a great season is coming down the pike for Jeremy Cash. It's awesome that he made the Panthers roster.

devildeac
09-04-2016, 02:30 PM
Um, no. It's always been "pike" and it will always be "pike." It was never "pipe" and it will never be "pipe."

Speaking of which, I hope a great season is coming down the pike for Jeremy Cash. It's awesome that he made the Panthers roster.

And I think "road to hoe" only applies if you were Tiger driving down the highway while looking for female companionship before (during or after:rolleyes:) a PGA event :rolleyes: .

BD80
09-04-2016, 02:47 PM
And I think "road to hoe" only applies if you were Tiger driving down the highway while looking for female companionship before (during or after:rolleyes:) a PGA event :rolleyes: .

Like Tiger could drive straight down anything without straying into the rough...

devildeac
09-04-2016, 09:40 PM
Like Tiger could drive straight down anything without straying into the rough...

That's putting it mildly...

oldnavy
09-05-2016, 08:14 AM
Matt Skura has signed on as a practice squad player with the Ravens. Not as good as Cash's deal, but definitely note worthy since he will be getting pro coaching and exposure.

Tom B.
09-05-2016, 10:38 AM
I think the copyright on this has expired, so I quote in full, the second part in the voice of Daniel. By the way, why isn't this the "handwriting on the wall," since a hand appeared?

I always thought it was "see the hand writing on the wall," as opposed to "see the handwriting on the wall." As you said, in the Biblical story, there was a disembodied hand that appeared and wrote on the wall, and foretold the end of Belshazzar's kingdom. So when you "see the hand writing on the wall," it means you've reached that moment when it becomes clear that something will end badly.

Speaking of kingdoms, the one that always gets me is when people write about "reigning in" someone, or giving somebody "free reign." Nope. The etymology is equine. It's "rein in" (as in, pulling on a horse's reins to bring it under control) and "free rein" (holding the reins loosely and allowing the horse to roam on its own).

Another one that makes my teeth itch is when people mess up "flout" and "flaunt." I once had an opposing counsel accuse me of "flaunting" the rules. Oh really? I stood up and waved the rule book around ostentatiously?

BD80
09-05-2016, 02:45 PM
I always thought it was "see the hand writing on the wall," as opposed to "see the handwriting on the wall." As you said, in the Biblical story, there was a disembodied hand that appeared and wrote on the wall, and foretold the end of Belshazzar's kingdom. So when you "see the hand writing on the wall," it means you've reached that moment when it becomes clear that something will end badly.

Speaking of kingdoms, the one that always gets me is when people write about "reigning in" someone, or giving somebody "free reign." Nope. The etymology is equine. It's "rein in" (as in, pulling on a horse's reins to bring it under control) and "free rein" (holding the reins loosely and allowing the horse to roam on its own).

Another one that makes my teeth itch is when people mess up "flout" and "flaunt." I once had an opposing counsel accuse me of "flaunting" the rules. Oh really? I stood up and waved the rule book around ostentatiously?

You were, however, flaunting your command of the English language, whilst your opponent flouted our native tongue.

As for the hand writing on the wall, would one of its digits be the moving finger Omar Khayyam speaks of?

rasputin
09-06-2016, 06:03 PM
You were, however, flaunting your command of the English language, whilst your opponent flouted our native tongue.

As for the hand writing on the wall, would one of its digits be the moving finger Omar Khayyam speaks of?

Does the moving finger belong to Dikembe Mutombo?

Tripping William
09-06-2016, 07:47 PM
Does the moving finger belong to Dikembe Mutombo?

Someone more current: Lilly King.

Ima Facultiwyfe
09-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Well, for all intensive purposes, it's the same thing.

Shriek!!!!!!! (Thought nobody had noticed dintcha?!)
Love, Ima

PS I love this thread!

BD80
09-07-2016, 07:42 AM
Shriek!!!!!!! (Thought nobody had noticed dintcha?!)
Love, Ima

PS I love this thread!

Intensive? We noticed, we just didn't CARE.

devildeac
09-07-2016, 07:48 AM

Intensive? Care? Pretty critical thought process there.

DukieInKansas
09-07-2016, 10:18 AM

Intensive? Care? Pretty critical thought process there.

It's almost like the two of you are one unit.

Jarhead
09-07-2016, 10:54 AM
Intensive purposes? Intents and purposes? Same thing if you don't stop and think about it. Everybody assumes it is... uh...

devildeac
09-07-2016, 11:07 AM
It's almost like the two of you are one unit.

There is probably no code for that.

Have you ever seen BD80 and devildeac in the same place at the same time? ;) :rolleyes:

BD80
09-07-2016, 12:12 PM
Intensive purposes? Intents and purposes? Same thing if you don't stop and think about it. Everybody assumes it is... uh...

Stop and think? Stop and think?

Good God man, this is the internet! There's no place for such conduct here!

captmojo
09-09-2016, 02:12 PM

That's putting it mildly...

While on the subject of the origins of certain phrases...as spoken in this agrarian one, I think it would not be in reference to "road".
"That's a tough row to hoe."

And I don't farm...or even garden. ;)

jimsumner
09-09-2016, 03:59 PM
While on the subject of the origins of certain phrases...as spoken in this agrarian one, I think it would not be in reference to "road".
"That's a tough row to hoe."

And I don't farm...or even garden. ;)

"Road to hoe is where I started this whole side-bar.

Haven't you been paying attention?

But I could care less. :)

English
09-09-2016, 04:29 PM
But I could care less. :)

This side-bar is LITERALLY killing me.

In relevant news, Jeremy Cash did see game action but managed to avoided the stat sheet last night.

jimsumner
09-09-2016, 04:55 PM

In relevant news, Jeremy Cash did see game action but managed to avoided the stat sheet last night.

Your welcome.

rasputin
09-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Your welcome.

I think this thread has run it's course.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-10-2016, 01:18 AM

The nice thing about Cash is that he is clearly more down to earth than those NFL wide receiver pre-Madonnas.

BD80
09-10-2016, 08:52 AM
The nice thing about Cash is that he is clearly more down to earth than those NFL wide receiver pre-Madonnas.

Great googly-moogly, how old would one have to be to be "pre-Madonna?"

Paul Warfield? Jack Snow?

sagegrouse
09-10-2016, 10:10 AM
Great googly-moogly, how old would one have to be to be "pre-Madonna?"

Paul Warfield? Jack Snow?

Well, Hopalong Cassidy of the Eagles and Ohio State, for sure.

Tripping William
09-10-2016, 10:44 AM

I hope not. I'd hate to loose all this playful banter.

devildeac
09-10-2016, 11:30 AM
I hope not. I'd hate to loose all this playful banter.

Oh, sorry, you said banter. ;)

jimsumner
09-10-2016, 12:28 PM

Their, their, don't fret. The posts all compliment each other.

BD80
09-10-2016, 01:39 PM
Their, their, don't fret. The posts all compliment each other.

Excellent point

Tripping William
09-10-2016, 01:41 PM

Oh, sorry, you said banter. ;)

I like banners more then banter.

CameronBornAndBred
09-13-2016, 02:06 PM
Cash was at the Duke / Wake game. (Didn't help us much, but nice to see him come back to take in the game.)