PDA

View Full Version : Jayson Tatum, Zone-Buster

slower
08-16-2016, 10:18 AM
Having (re-)watched Jayson's mixtape, it's clear that he has a great mid-range game (a dying art, these days). Might he fill the "Rodney Hood" role against the Syracuses of the world, taking the mid-range shot or passing to Allen, Kennard, Jackson or Jones on the wings? I think we'll MUCH prefer having Tatum in this role than Amile. But I'm no coach, so I could be totally wrong. Opinions? Bueller?? (Sorry if this rehashes any previous threads)

BD80
08-16-2016, 10:38 AM
Having (re-)watched Jayson's mixtape, it's clear that he has a great mid-range game (a dying art, these days). Might he fill the "Rodney Hood" role against the Syracuses of the world, taking the mid-range shot or passing to Allen, Kennard, Jackson or Jones on the wings? I think we'll MUCH prefer having Tatum in this role than Amile. But I'm no coach, so I could be totally wrong. Opinions? Bueller?? (Sorry if this rehashes any previous threads)

I predict JT will average 2.65 mpghpp (minutes per game possessing the ball in the high post)

Troublemaker
08-16-2016, 11:48 AM

That role for Tatum makes sense to me.

This past season, with only one day of prep for Cuse, we actually didn't make much use of the high post at all and relied on passing around the horn to attempt to get them out of position.

Hopefully we'll have more prep time this season and see Tatum at the high post.

NSDukeFan
08-16-2016, 12:15 PM
I predict JT will average 2.65 mpghpp (minutes per game possessing the ball in the high post)

Do you think mpghpp is the best measure or should we be looking at old school hpt (high post touches) or ppmhp (points per minute in the high post) or pphpt (points per high post touch or possession) efficiency? I think I like that one best, but hope that Amile, Jayson and Harry and maybe Luke? all get lots of hpt against all kinds of defences. I hope they have great pphpt efficiency.

BD80
08-16-2016, 02:03 PM
Do you think mpghpp is the best measure or should we be looking at old school hpt (high post touches) or ppmhp (points per minute in the high post) or pphpt (points per high post touch or possession) efficiency? I think I like that one best, but hope that Amile, Jayson and Harry and maybe Luke? all get lots of hpt against all kinds of defences. I hope they have great pphpt efficiency.

pphpt without a decent hpt is absolutely meaningless. Silly even to discuss.

sagegrouse
08-16-2016, 02:07 PM

Miles per gallon (with) high performance petrol?

NSDukeFan
08-16-2016, 04:26 PM
pphpt without a decent hpt is absolutely meaningless. Silly even to discuss.

Very true. Tsass- too small a sample size.

UrinalCake
08-16-2016, 09:17 PM
I think we'd have to play Jayson at the 4 in order for that to work. If he's on the court with, say, Amile, Bolden, and two guards, then there wouldn't be enough spacing to put him in the middle of the zone. I do think his mid-range shot will be valuable, but the key to beating a zone like Syracuse's will be Grayson and Frank being able to penetrate off the dribble.

slower
08-16-2016, 09:35 PM
I think we'd have to play Jayson at the 4 in order for that to work. If he's on the court with, say, Amile, Bolden, and two guards, then there wouldn't be enough spacing to put him in the middle of the zone. I do think his mid-range shot will be valuable, but the key to beating a zone like Syracuse's will be Grayson and Frank being able to penetrate off the dribble.

Good point. Do we have a good read on Giles' ability to fill that same role? If so, then he may be the primary option under those circumstances. I just can't see Amile being the "zone-buster" in the middle if either Giles or Tatum are in the lineup.

CDu
08-17-2016, 09:30 AM
Technically, the "zone buster" doesn't have to play a particular position since the zone doesn't have specific matchups. You just need to have someone effective in that spot on the floor. Hood did spend a lot of time in the PF spot, but he also played SF too.

I think Tatum, Jefferson, Allen, and Kennard can all be effective zone busters.