PDA

View Full Version : David Thompson's Wife Passes

hallcity
08-13-2016, 05:13 PM
David Thompson is such an important part of ACC history that I think it's worth reporting here that his wife has passed away. (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=14882781) (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=14882781)

Thompson was a frosh when I was a senior at Duke. Freshmen couldn't play varsity at that time. I remember nothing of the varsity game between Duke and NCSU in Cameron that year but vividly remember the freshman game. Thompson was the best player I had ever seen. It was like he was from another planet. I've never been so stunned at a basketball game.

I'm sure that younger people don't want to hear that some player who was in college before they were born is the greatest to ever play in the ACC but to those who saw him, it's simply a fact.

sagegrouse
08-13-2016, 05:16 PM
Tweet from Tommy Burleson
feeling heartbroken.
3 hrs
It is with a heavy heart that we ask for prayers for David Thompson, his daughters Erika and Brooke, and their families. David's wife Cathy passed this morning. We are grateful she is now in heaven with the Father, and is no longer in pain, but we are heartbroken. The Thompson family and Wolfpack nation have lost a beautiful spirit. Thank you and God Bless you all. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Bob Green
08-13-2016, 05:17 PM
My condolences to the Thompson family. This is certainly a difficult time for them.

I'm sure that younger people don't want to hear that some player who was in college before they were born is the greatest to ever play in the ACC but to those who saw him, it's simply a fact.

I agree. It is a fact!

Olympic Fan
08-13-2016, 06:23 PM
My condolences to the Thompson family. This is certainly a difficult time for them.

I agree. It is a fact!

I agree ... and it's not even close (at least as far as collegiate performance)

Indoor66
08-13-2016, 06:33 PM
So sad to see another part of our mortality brought to the fore. May God's blessings flow to the family and to Cathy.

chrishoke
08-13-2016, 07:22 PM
She had earlier lost a leg to diabetes. I know because David is helping NC public health efforts to prevent and control diabetes.

moonpie23
08-13-2016, 09:47 PM
. :( .

devildeac
08-13-2016, 11:01 PM
On younger son-in-law, a pastor at a small church in Hillsborough (he refuses to admit it's in chappaheeya :o), recently returned from a work/mission trip to Avery County, NC, and David Thompson and Tommy Burleson both came by for a visit, photo session and to talk to his youth group. He'll be very sad to hear this.

Newton_14
08-13-2016, 11:26 PM

I agree. It is a fact!

Fully agree. There has never been a better ACC Player to lace them up and take the court than DT. Had he had 4yrs instead of 3 with Frosh being ineligible, with today's 3 point line and rules, omg.. he would own a lot of records.

Condolences to his Family and to DT. Very sad.

ipatent
08-14-2016, 01:31 AM
Sorry to hear of this, but I've never seen a thread about the passing of a relative of a non-Duke player.

Indoor66
08-14-2016, 07:44 AM
Sorry to hear of this, but I've never seen a thread about the passing of a relative of a non-Duke player.

Basketball Royalty gets it's deserved respect.

budwom
08-14-2016, 09:39 AM
David Thompson is such an important part of ACC history that I think it's worth reporting here that his wife has passed away. (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=14882781) (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=14882781)

Thompson was a frosh when I was a senior at Duke. Freshmen couldn't play varsity at that time. I remember nothing of the varsity game between Duke and NCSU in Cameron that year but vividly remember the freshman game. Thompson was the best player I had ever seen. It was like he was from another planet. I've never been so stunned at a basketball game.

I vividly remember that game as well. I think Thompson came in averaging 44 points/game....once I saw him play, I understood how. Agreed, he was the best college player ever in the ACC.
Too bad he later squandered much of that talent.

OZZIE4DUKE
08-14-2016, 10:22 AM
David Thompson is such an important part of ACC history that I think it's worth reporting here that his wife has passed away. (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=178&f=2515&t=14882781)

I agree. It is a fact!
My condolences to DT and his family.

DT was a sophomore my freshman year, so I had the pleasure of watching him 3 times in Cameron. He was, indeed, the best player ever to play a game there. Christian Laettner, Johnny Dawkins, Grant Hill and a host of other great Duke players tie for second. :cool:

As for the comment above that he ruined his own career, that's not strictly correct. He tore his knee up playing in the NBA and then got hooked on pain killers and other drugs. So I blame the knee injury for what followed.

Olympic Fan
08-14-2016, 01:07 PM
As for the comment above that he ruined his own career, that's not strictly correct. He tore his knee up playing in the NBA and then got hooked on pain killers and other drugs. So I blame the knee injury for what followed.

Nice bit of revisionist history.

The fact is that Thompson's career was going downhill long before his knee injury. He was one of the great athletes who fell under the spell of cocaine in the last '70s and early '80s. He averaged around 25 point a game in his first six pro seasons (one in the ABA, five in the NBA), topping out at 27.2 in 1978. After that season, he signed a contract that made him the highest paid player in the NBA.

But -- thanks to the coke habit, his career started slipping. Slowly at first, then with gathering momentum -- 1981 was his last good year ... by 1982 he was averaging 14 points a game.

His knee injury occurred in 1984 -- not on the court, but as when he fell down the stairs at Studio 54. The story at the time (and I can't confirm this) is that he was coked up at the time. So far from causing his decline, the knee injury that essentially ended his career was the result of his drug habit.

Look, nobody admires David Thompson as a college player more than me ... without debate, he's the greatest ACC player of all time ... I would argue the greatest collegiate non-big man of all time.

But I can't go along with ignoring his self-inflicted mistakes in the NBA. It's to his credit that Thompson cleaned up his act and pulled out of the drug spiral. He's spend the last quarter century as a lifestyle councilor for other athletes.

ipatent
08-14-2016, 05:53 PM
He was, indeed, the best player ever to play a game there.

Never saw David Thompson play in person, but that is high praise. I did see Michael Jordan and Ralph Sampson play in Cameron, and both of them were pretty darn good.

Bob Green
08-14-2016, 07:00 PM
Never saw David Thompson play in person, but that is high praise. I did see Michael Jordan and Ralph Sampson play in Cameron, and both of them were pretty darn good.

Collegiate Michael Jordan couldn't carry David Thompson's jock strap.

Olympic Fan
08-14-2016, 07:11 PM

I know numbers can't capture the entire story, but compare the stats of the three guys in the ACC:

Sampson 16.9 ppg (on .569 shooting), 11.4 rpg.

Jordan 17.7 ppg (on .540 shooting), 5.0 rpg.

Thompson 26.8 ppg (on .553 shooting), 8.0 rpg.

And it wasn't like he was throwing up big stats for a mediocre team (as Len Bias did ... and HIS stats can't touch DT). Thompson's State teams were 32-4 in ACC play ... 37-5 if you count the ACC Tournament. He won two ACC titles and a national championship.

Jordan's UNC teams were 38-4 in ACC play ... but just 43-7 if you count ACC Tournament. He won one ACC Tournament and a national championship.

Sampson's teams were 44-12 in ACC play ... just 48-16 counting the ACC Tournament. He never won an ACC title or reached the Final Four (Virginia did make it the year he left). He did lead Virginia to an NIT title.

Jordan and Sampson were dominate college players ... but not as dominant or as successful as Mr. Thompson.

He scored 2,309 points in three seasons -- without benefit of a freshman season, the dunk (he was the highest flying player of his era -- maybe all time) or the three-point shot (he was a GREAT long-range shooter). Jordan didn't get to 2,000 points in his three seasons. Thompson scored more in three years than Sampson did in four seasons.

tteettimes
08-14-2016, 07:44 PM
I have tears....memory tears.....how lucky I am to have seen DT play his first game in Cameron.....to have seen him tumble over Phil Spence to return with a wrap on his head in Reynolds and to also been in Greensboro that wonderful day.....my son hung posters of DT blocking Wilkes shot while holding off the great Bill Walton
Thank you DAVID.....bless you and your family......no question....the very best I ever saw

ipatent
08-14-2016, 09:40 PM

I can't speak to that because David Thompson was before my time as a fan, but there's no doubt that Jordan could have scored a lot more in college if Dean Smith would have allowed it.

Olympic Fan
08-15-2016, 12:56 PM
I can't speak to that because David Thompson was before my time as a fan, but there's no doubt that Jordan could have scored a lot more in college if Dean Smith would have allowed it.

I know that's the myth in Chapel Hill -- "The only person who could stop Jordan from scoring was Dean Smith" .... but playing for Smith didn't stop others from scoring more than Jordan --

Charlie Scott scored 27.1 for Smith in 1970 .. and 22.3 in 1969 ... both better than Jordan's high of 20.0 (and that came in 1983 when the ACC had the short 3-point shot and the shot clock)

Billy Cunningham scored 22.7, 26.0 and 25.4 in his three seasons -- all three better than Jordan's best year.

Bob Lewis averaged 27.4 in 1966

Larry Miller averaged 20.9, 21.9 and 22.4 in his three years -- all three better than Jordan's 20.0 best.

Phil Ford averaged 20.8 in 1978 (just before Jordan arrived)

Brad Daugherty averaged 20.2 in 1986 (just after Jordan left)

Hubert Davis, for gosh sakes, averaged 21.4 in 1992

That's seven players who played for Smith who combined to record 12 seasons of better scoring than Jordan's best year at UNC. The idea of suggesting that Dean Smith held Jordan back is silly -- why didn't he hold back Scott and Miller and Cunningham?

Look, Michael Jordan was a very good player at North Carolina -- a national player of the year (and he deserved that award). But the ACC has had a lot of great players over the years and Jordan's record -- his stats, his team performance and his individual accolades -- don't put him near the top.

Especially, when you consider that the top is Michael Jordan.

devildeac
08-15-2016, 01:00 PM
I know that's the myth in Chapel Hill -- "The only person who could stop Jordan from scoring was Dean Smith" ... but playing for Smith didn't stop others from scoring more than Jordan --

Charlie Scott scored 27.1 for Smith in 1970 .. and 22.3 in 1969 ... both better than Jordan's high of 20.0 (and that came in 1983 when the ACC had the short 3-point shot and the shot clock)

Billy Cunningham scored 22.7, 26.0 and 25.4 in his three seasons -- all three better than Jordan's best year.

Bob Lewis averaged 27.4 in 1966

Larry Miller averaged 20.9, 21.9 and 22.4 in his three years -- all three better than Jordan's 20.0 best.

Phil Ford averaged 20.8 in 1978 (just before Jordan arrived)

Brad Daugherty averaged 20.2 in 1986 (just after Jordan left)

Hubert Davis, for gosh sakes, averaged 21.4 in 1992

That's seven players who played for Smith who combined to record 12 seasons of better scoring than Jordan's best year at UNC. The idea of suggesting that Dean Smith held Jordan back is silly -- why didn't he hold back Scott and Miller and Cunningham?

Look, Michael Jordan was a very good player at North Carolina -- a national player of the year (and he deserved that award). But the ACC has had a lot of great players over the years and Jordan's record -- his stats, his team performance and his individual accolades -- don't put him near the top.

Especially, when you consider that the top is Michael Jordan.

Nice analysis/stats but did you mean David Thompson here?:confused:

Teton Jack
08-15-2016, 01:09 PM
Having seen ACC play since the mid-1960's, my candidate for best ACC player is Len Bias. I never saw anyone so dominant on the floor, so able to change the course of a game. I remember those games of his against UNC (back when that school was Duke's rival, when they actually were a post-secondary school) Jordan (yawn), was not at the same level. Thompson was the only one close to Bias' ability.

Olympic Fan
08-15-2016, 02:06 PM
Nice analysis/stats but did you mean David Thompson here?:confused:

Ooops ... yes, David Thompson.

And, the idea that Len Bias is in this conversation is silly.

He was a supporting player on a good Maryland team in 1984. He had a great ACC tourney and won the tourney MVP, but he wasn't even second team All-ACC that year. At the same point in their careers, Thompson was ACC player of the year.

He became a star as a junior, winning ACC player of the year -- averaging 18.9 points a game for a team that finished 8-6 in the ACC. Johnny Dawkins had almost the same season -- averaging 18.8 for a team that was also 8-6 in the ACC (and was better overall). Of course, that's the year that Thompson led NC State to the national title (and was Final Four MVP).

As a senior, Bias finally put up big numbers -- 23.2 points per game (less than Thompson's worst season) ... for a team that finished sixth in the ACC.

Bias was a consensus second-team All-American as a junior and a consensus first-team pick as a senior in 1986. He never won a single national player of the year award --ironically, Duke's Johnny Dawkins won the Naismith Award that year (Walter Berry of St. John's was the consensus NPOY).

Now, some players put up big stats for mediocre teams and some players push their teams to greatness. I would argue that the only player in ACC history to do both at the same time was David Thompson.

You could argue that Bias pushed Maryland to something great one weekend in 1984, when his stats were modest. And you can argue that he put up big stats in 1986, when his team was mediocre.

I don't see how you can argue that "I never saw anyone so dominant on the floor, so able to change the course of a game" ... Really? if Bias could change the course of the game that way, why didn't he do it enough to make those Maryland teams competitive? It's not like they didn't have other good players -- the 1986 team that finished sixth in the ACC also had Derrick Lewis, Keith Gatlin, Tony Massenburg and Jeff Baxter (who was the star of Maryland's second win over UNC in 1986, not Bias) . Those were good ACC players

Better than Thompson? Give me a break -- Thompson scored 500 more points in three years than Bias did in four. At 6-4, he averaged 2.3 more rebounds a game than the 6-8 Bias. He shot a higher percentage from the floor. Obviously, he led his team to much greater heights and collected far more accolades.

Bias had a great two seasons and was a spectacular physical specimen -- but even Jordan was a greater college player than Bias.

77devil
08-15-2016, 03:57 PM
I know numbers can't capture the entire story, but compare the stats of the three guys in the ACC:

And it wasn't like he was throwing up big stats for a mediocre team (as Len Bias did ... and HIS stats can't touch DT). Thompson's State teams were 32-4 in ACC play ... 37-5 if you count the ACC Tournament. He won two ACC titles and a national championship.

Jordan's UNC teams were 38-4 in ACC play ... but just 43-7 if you count ACC Tournament. He won one ACC Tournament and a national championship.

Sampson's teams were 44-12 in ACC play ... just 48-16 counting the ACC Tournament. He never won an ACC title or reached the Final Four (Virginia did make it the year he left). He did lead Virginia to an NIT title.

Jordan and Sampson were dominate college players ... but not as dominant or as successful as Mr. Thompson.

He scored 2,309 points in three seasons -- without benefit of a freshman season, the dunk (he was the highest flying player of his era -- maybe all time) or the three-point shot (he was a GREAT long-range shooter). Jordan didn't get to 2,000 points in his three seasons. Thompson scored more in three years than Sampson did in four seasons.

Diito on your Bilas comp. In addition, the Wolkpack was 27-0 Thompson's sophomore year, and, arguably, would have been in contention for the NC were it not on probation. The Pack fell off in Thompson's senior year without Tom Burleson even though he averaged almost 30 a game.

wsb3
08-15-2016, 04:00 PM

What Bob said..

Newton_14
08-15-2016, 09:38 PM
Ooops ... yes, David Thompson.

And, the idea that Len Bias is in this conversation is silly.

He was a supporting player on a good Maryland team in 1984. He had a great ACC tourney and won the tourney MVP, but he wasn't even second team All-ACC that year. At the same point in their careers, Thompson was ACC player of the year.

He became a star as a junior, winning ACC player of the year -- averaging 18.9 points a game for a team that finished 8-6 in the ACC. Johnny Dawkins had almost the same season -- averaging 18.8 for a team that was also 8-6 in the ACC (and was better overall). Of course, that's the year that Thompson led NC State to the national title (and was Final Four MVP).

As a senior, Bias finally put up big numbers -- 23.2 points per game (less than Thompson's worst season) ... for a team that finished sixth in the ACC.

Bias was a consensus second-team All-American as a junior and a consensus first-team pick as a senior in 1986. He never won a single national player of the year award --ironically, Duke's Johnny Dawkins won the Naismith Award that year (Walter Berry of St. John's was the consensus NPOY).

Now, some players put up big stats for mediocre teams and some players push their teams to greatness. I would argue that the only player in ACC history to do both at the same time was David Thompson.

You could argue that Bias pushed Maryland to something great one weekend in 1984, when his stats were modest. And you can argue that he put up big stats in 1986, when his team was mediocre.

I don't see how you can argue that "I never saw anyone so dominant on the floor, so able to change the course of a game" ... Really? if Bias could change the course of the game that way, why didn't he do it enough to make those Maryland teams competitive? It's not like they didn't have other good players -- the 1986 team that finished sixth in the ACC also had Derrick Lewis, Keith Gatlin, Tony Massenburg and Jeff Baxter (who was the star of Maryland's second win over UNC in 1986, not Bias) . Those were good ACC players

Better than Thompson? Give me a break -- Thompson scored 500 more points in three years than Bias did in four. At 6-4, he averaged 2.3 more rebounds a game than the 6-8 Bias. He shot a higher percentage from the floor. Obviously, he led his team to much greater heights and collected far more accolades.

Bias had a great two seasons and was a spectacular physical specimen -- but even Jordan was a greater college player than Bias.

Fully agree. Look, I appreciate that a lot of the members here never saw Thompson play a game, so they can only go on stats. But those stats actually tell the story as well. Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, but this is not close and really is one of those "not up for discussion" type deals. DT is the greatest ACC Player ever, and I also agree with whoever said he is the best Non-Big man College Player of all time. (Might have been you Oly, cant remember).

I appreciate the Jordan and Bias supporters, but neither could hold a candle to #44DT...

Indoor66
08-16-2016, 06:42 AM
Fully agree. Look, I appreciate that a lot of the members here never saw Thompson play a game, so they can only go on stats. But those stats actually tell the story as well. Sorry, don't mean to offend anyone, but this is not close and really is one of those "not up for discussion" type deals. DT is the greatest ACC Player ever, and I also agree with whoever said he is the best Non-Big man College Player of all time. (Might have been you Oly, cant remember).

I appreciate the Jordan and Bias supporters, but neither could hold a candle to #44DT...

Tim Stoddard to #44 for the non-dunk ally-oop was a thing of beauty - as was the same pass from Monte Towe.

Jeffrey
08-16-2016, 03:00 PM

I strongly agree that DT was the greatest ACC player ever.

However, IMO, Bias was as great a college player as Jordan. I suspect most of the ACC coaches, during that period, would agree.

ipatent
08-16-2016, 04:11 PM
Bias was a late bloomer relative to Jordan and Thompson, but certainly had the potential to be as good a pro as either of them.

hallcity
08-18-2016, 06:34 PM
Since it's the silly season before college basketball truly resumes, who were the greatest players for each of the other P5 conferencess plus the Big East?

My answers:

SEC Pete Maravich
B10 Magic Johnson
B12 Wilt Chamberlin
Pac Kareem Abdul-Jabar (or Lew Alcindor as he was known then)
Big East Patrick Ewing

What do you think?

tteettimes
08-18-2016, 07:03 PM
DAVID THOMPSON IS THE GREATEST COLLEGIATE PLAYER OF ALL TIME,! Period
that speaks from eighty plus years. I saw the Great Dick Groat play too!!
Too bad the younger generation were not there to watch DAVID 😤😤

rsvman
08-19-2016, 10:59 AM
I grew up in Utah and so didn't get to see a lot of games from the East coast, but they did show some ACC hoops on TV back in the day, and I was a hoops junkie from birth. So, I was fortunate enough to have seen David Thompson play several times for NC State on my grainy television in the Rockies.

My impression was that David Thompson was unlike anything I had ever seen. The only player I saw that made my jaw drop anywhere near as frequently was Pistol Pete. Their skill sets were different, but both of them made me do double-takes pretty routinely.

Amazing player. Sorry to hear about his wife's passing.

ipatent
08-19-2016, 11:13 AM
I think people tend to forget how good Ralph Sampson was. No title, but he was a better player than Ewing in college.

sagegrouse
08-19-2016, 12:43 PM
Since it's the silly season before college basketball truly resumes, who were the greatest players for each of the other P5 conferencess plus the Big East?

My answers:

SEC Pete Maravich
B10 Magic Johnson
B12 Wilt Chamberlin
Pac Kareem Abdul-Jabar (or Lew Alcindor as he was known then)
Big East Patrick Ewing

What do you think?

This is the David Thompson's Wife Passes" thread. As one who remembers his grandmother's admonition about running across gravestones in old Charleston, can we take this discussion to a new thread?

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-19-2016, 02:05 PM
This is the David Thompson's Wife Passes" thread. As one who remembers his grandmother's admonition about running across gravestones in old Charleston, can we take this discussion to a new thread?
Thank you! There's a time and place for everything. All the talk of David's career (and other peoples' careers) should take place elsewhere.

AtlDuke72
08-23-2016, 02:58 PM
I vividly remember that game as well. I think Thompson came in averaging 44 points/game...once I saw him play, I understood how. Agreed, he was the best college player ever in the ACC.
Too bad he later squandered much of that talent.

I was at that freshman game too. Duke had a good team - and Thompson fouled out 4 of the Duke starters. Everyone in Cameron ( was it still the Indoor Stadium?) was on their feet and everybody was cheering for the State player. He was unbelievable !

-bdbd
08-23-2016, 06:58 PM

Am I missing something? If he played 3 years of college ball, how could Jordan, once you include his ACCT stats, have lost THREE more games, yet still won one of those ACCTs? Did he lose twice in one tournament - a mean feat, even for El Deano??

Rest in peace, Cathy Thompson.

brevity
08-23-2016, 07:16 PM

Am I missing something? If he played 3 years of college ball, how could Jordan, once you include his ACCT stats, have lost THREE more games, yet still won one of those ACCTs? Did he lose twice in one tournament - a mean feat, even for El Deano??

Actually, he worked a different kind of mean feat.

In 1982, Virginia beat UNC in the ACC Tournament final, 45-27. But Dean Smith slammed his fist on the scorer's table, adding 20 points and giving UNC the 47-45 win. So Jordan both won and lost that year.