PDA

View Full Version : The "O"fficial National Anthem

monkey
08-10-2016, 05:11 PM
I saw this story and it made me think of the Crazies...we still do this in Cameron, right?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/mystery-solved-why-phelps-burst-into-laughter-atop-the-olympic-podium-053152927.html

mattman91
08-10-2016, 05:24 PM
I saw this story and it made me think of the Crazies...we still do this in Cameron, right?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/mystery-solved-why-phelps-burst-into-laughter-atop-the-olympic-podium-053152927.html

I think K asked them to knock it off a few years ago out of respect.

Acymetric
08-10-2016, 05:32 PM

And although it may not have been his stated reason, because it made no sense!

sagegrouse
08-10-2016, 07:14 PM

And although it may not have been his stated reason, because it made no sense!

It's the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Here's the total scoop.

During the Baltimore Orioles' miracle pennant drive in 1983, there was a rowdy group of fans in the upper deck of Memorial Stadium out the first base line. It was led by a cab driver named "Wild Bill" Hagy. Wild Bill had the hokiest cheer for "Orioles," where he contorted his fat body into the shape of the letters.

Wild Bill also led the yelling of "O!!" during the national anthem. Wild Bill continued to go to games for a number of years, but 1983 was the last World Series the Orioles won.

Well, this practice was mindlessly adapted by high school students in Maryland, when none of the high schools involved had a prominent "O" in their names. I can't tell you how much, as a parent, that I hated it.

Then this utterly mindless practice seemed to migrate to Duke, where the high-caliber students from Maryland should have certainly known better.

Anyway, that's the story and I am sticking to it.

Turns out, though, that someone really active on the Board here (OPK, Old Navy?) knew Wild Bill from on-line activities many years later. Apparently Hagy had a heart attack and passed away while he was on line.

CameronBornAndBred
08-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Turns out, though, that someone really active on the Board here (OPK, Old Navy?) knew Wild Bill from on-line activities many years later. Apparently Hagy had a heart attack and passed away while he was on line.
That was me, I sent you a PM. Still miss that man's gruff voice and laugh as he shared his joy of Budweiser and online golf with us every night.

Edit..Sage suggested I share my PM with everyone, so here it is. He was a unique man. (And I love that the chant is no longer in Cameron, that was annoying!)

This is my story of Bill...

Loved your (Sagegrouse's) story of Bill. I spent countless number of nights playing golf with him online, back in the earlier days of the internet. I led a team that played MS' "Links 2K3" and Bill was on my team. We would drink late into the night, talking to each other over our headsets as we sometimes won, sometimes lost, and always had a great time. He LOVED his Budweiser! (One of our team members was the son of Duke's George McAffee...funny how small of a world our group was.) Bill was always known to us as "Wild Bill", but he never told us he was famous. One night, he shared a youtube video with us, years after we had been friends, and then we realized he was a sports icon. I never got to meet him in person, the closest opportunity was when his roommate and he drove through NC on the way back from watching the Orioles during Spring training.
We literally talked every night, often til 1am, and one day it struck me that I hadn't heard from in a couple days. He would have mentioned if he was going on a trip, so with trepidation I checked the Baltimore obits. It still brings me to tears thinking of his passing; amazing how you can become such good friends with someone you've never met. I can still hear his gruff voice, complaining about a missed putt, saying his next beer will make him better. I know his roommate found him, I can only imagine he was sitting at his computer desk, Budweiser in hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVoSYXQ1EEM

BigWayne
08-10-2016, 08:00 PM
Wild Bill had the hokiest cheer for "Orioles," where he contorted his fat body into the shape of the letters.

My memory is not 100%, but I recall Wild Bill having attended the 1980 ACC Men's BB tournament and performing an annoying TERPS version of this. I recall trying to out yell them with an alternate spelling of JERKS.

mark34
08-11-2016, 04:17 PM

I went to my first game since my days (class of '89) about 5 years ago. I had told my son all about the "O!" during the national anthem. I was so bummed they don't do it any more. I don't think it was disrespectful.. it was joyous. I suspect maybe it was post 9-11 and felt out of place.

sagegrouse
08-11-2016, 05:18 PM
I went to my first game since my days (class of '89) about 5 years ago. I had told my son all about the "O!" during the national anthem. I was so bummed they don't do it any more. I don't think it was disrespectful.. it was joyous. I suspect maybe it was post 9-11 and felt out of place.

I didn't think it was disrespectful, I thought it was Neanderthal-dumb. What does "O as in Orioles" have to do with Duke University or Blue Devile, none of which contain an "O?"

Pghdukie
08-11-2016, 06:26 PM
There was a fireman from NYC that would get the Jets fans in a lather with his J E T S JETS JETS cheer. I think he may have passed also. Maybe those 2 are enjoying a cold Bud as we chat !

Jim3k
08-11-2016, 09:00 PM
I attended an A's-Orioles game this afternoon at the Oakland Coliseum. Thought the game would be an O's blowout due to their explosive scoring. They did win, but had to survive a spirited A's comeback. In the bottom of the 9th, with two outs, the A's loaded the bases, putting the winning run at the plate, but... Ground ball to second--aah!

Anyway, I was there for the National Anthem. This is normally done here a capella by a talented local singer, always a volunteer and often pretty good. Today was no exception and this lady was really good. Strong contralto voice; obviously a trained soloist. She handled the song as well as anyone. But the O's fans ruined her performance by shouting "O!" as if they were at their place. Pretty rude, I'd say. Fans in my area were shaking their heads..."What the h... was that about?" I declined to explain.

I expect the singer wasn't really fazed, but still... Just more rude visiting team's fans. Joined the Yanks and the BoSox in the rude derby.

YmoBeThere
08-12-2016, 07:25 AM
I thought it was disrespectful when I was there, I'm glad to hear it has stopped.

BTW, I've began yelling at people to get off my lawn many years before I had a lawn.

Bob Green
08-12-2016, 04:30 PM
I don't think it was disrespectful..

Acknowledging different strokes for different folks, but I find it extremely disrespectful along with folks who do not take off their hat or move around while the National Anthem is being played/sung.

rasputin
08-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Acknowledging different strokes for different folks, but I find it extremely disrespectful along with folks who do not take off their hat or move around while the National Anthem is being played/sung.

Agreed. Those in attendance shouldn't be making the Anthem something that's "all about me" any more than the vocalist should (another of my pet peeves).

sagegrouse
08-12-2016, 05:58 PM

Agreed, but am I the only one who wonders why "God Bless America" has become a second national anthem and people are asked to stand and doff their hats when it is played during the seventh inning stretch? Don't mean to be a curmudgeon, but seriously.

Edouble
08-12-2016, 06:10 PM
I always felt that it would be easier if Oh Canada was performed so we could just get it out of the way right at the start.

Jim3k
08-12-2016, 06:57 PM
Agreed, but am I the only one who wonders why "God Bless America" has become a second national anthem and people are asked to stand and doff their hats when it is played during the seventh inning stretch? Don't mean to be a curmudgeon, but seriously.

I'm with you here, Sage. I know that after 9/11 the New York baseball franchises began to sing it as a seventh inning stretch anthem to those who had lost their lives. Organized Baseball immediately followed suite, at least for a while. I had assumed it would stop along the way. It did not as some MLB stadiums have pushed it forward. Others have discontinued it. (Kate Smith can wear one out.)

As an anthem it is certainly more religious than the Star Spangled Banner, and that usage was fine as a means of a sort of holy remembrance. But the service is long since over. I think as a 9/11 special hymn it is OK. Beyond that, I think it should resume its former status. It is not our national anthem even if it is a patriotic song.

(Besides, singing "God Bless America" in 7th inning tandem with the raucous "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" seems dissonant.)

Jim3k
08-12-2016, 07:47 PM
I'm with you here, Sage. I know that after 9/11 the New York baseball franchises began to sing it as a seventh inning stretch anthem to those who had lost their lives. Organized Baseball immediately followed suite, at least for a while. I had assumed it would stop along the way. It did not as some MLB stadiums have pushed it forward. Others have discontinued it. (Kate Smith can wear one out.)

As an anthem it is certainly more religious than the Star Spangled Banner, and that usage was fine as a means of a sort of holy remembrance. But the service is long since over. I think as a 9/11 special hymn it is OK. Beyond that, I think it should resume its former status. It is not our national anthem even if it is a patriotic song.

(Besides, singing "God Bless America" in 7th inning tandem with the raucous "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" seems dissonant.)

Add: Recalling sources, it was written by Irving Berlin in 1918 as the finale to a (returning) all-soldier revue called Yip, Yip, Yaphank but never used. Hardly a real hymn. Or one which came from Tin Pan Alley, a really unlikely place.

In 1938, Berlin gave a revised version to Kate Smith for radio use on Armistice Day. Its film debut was 1943's "This Is the Army," starring Ronald Reagan.

So, this basically a show biz tune. Fine as far as it goes, but not a substitute for or equivalent to the National Anthem. You can keep your hats on and sit if you wish.