PDA

View Full Version : Duke Lands Big Time Quarterback

campered
08-09-2016, 10:39 AM
YES!! Saw it on CBSSports.com.. Duke lands pro style quarterback Jack Sears for next year. Cutcliff and the staff has to be excited about this guy. He is from California so go over to CBSSports.cpm and check it out Duke fans!!

OldPhiKap
08-09-2016, 10:43 AM
YES!! Saw it on CBSSports.com.. Duke lands pro style quarterback Jack Sears for next year. Cutcliff and the staff has to be excited about this guy. He is from California so go over to CBSSports.cpm and check it out Duke fans!!

There is a pretty good discussion of this on the 2017 Football Recruiting thread. Although it can't hurt to have this out there as a separate thread, to alert folks who have not been following the story.

This is a big deal.

campered
08-09-2016, 10:59 AM
There is a pretty good discussion of this on the 2017 Football Recruiting thread. Although it can't hurt to have this out there as a separate thread, to alert folks who have not been following the story.

This is a big deal.

Darn it, I did a quick scan of that thread, OldPhiKap, and just overlooked it I guess. Would of thought it would have been on DBR's main page too. Oh well, it is the dog day's of summer right now, and things get a little sleepy and slow. But anyway, I got excited to see anything about Duke football on a big time sports forum like CBS.

OldPhiKap
08-09-2016, 11:07 AM
Darn it, I did a quick scan of that thread, OldPhiKap, and just overlooked it I guess. Would of thought it would have been on DBR's main page too. Oh well, it is the dog day's of summer right now, and things get a little sleepy and slow. But anyway, I got excited to see anything about Duke football on a big time sports forum like CBS.

From the article you linked:

Sears is a huge talent. Big and strong at 6-3, 200-plus pounds, Sears has an NFL kind of frame. He also has NFL kind of arm talent. Out at The Opening Finals and Elite 11, nobody looked more comfortable making big throws than Sears. He can put the ball anywhere on the field with ease. He's also one of the best athletes at quarterback in this class. He's a pure pro-style passer but his combine numbers are elite at the quarterback position (4.7 in the 40, 35-inch vertical).

Sears can look like a different passer on different days. I watched him at The Opening regional in Los Angeles and he looked solid but not spectacular. I saw him at The Opening regional in Oakland and he looked like one of the best quarterbacks in the nation. He could look different day by day or game by game at The Elite 11 Finals as well. What is consistent though is his skillset, his tools. He's got as high of a ceiling as any quarterback in this class and with David Cutcliffe and the Duke staff working with him, we're bullish on Sears hitting that ceiling.

Yeah, I'm excited.

Troublemaker
08-09-2016, 11:18 AM
Nice. Sears might put to the test my theory that once Duke lands/develops a great QB (nationally great), we will never have a problem with football attendance again.

brevity
08-09-2016, 11:26 AM

From the article you linked:

What link? It took a while to find because I made the mistake of looking for it on CBS Sports' college football page when I should have checked the 247 Sports affiliate section. Here, for the first time on this thread:

Duke shows resilience with Jack Sears pickup (http://247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-shows-resilience-with-Jack-Sears-pickup-46647329)

I'll admit that the news may have merited its own thread, but not this one. The opening post has no link, and Coach Cutcliffe's name is misspelled. If you're going to start a new thread, you have a responsibility to get it right. Relax and take the time.

johnb
08-09-2016, 01:45 PM

The main page tends not to cover verbal football commitments--like all other teams, we occasionally get burned.

The other thread features discussion of whether Sears is the most Important recruit in recent Duke history. I'd tend to say he might be in that we now have a critical mass of excellent players, some of whom may well be better at their position than Sears is at his, And who knows if Sirk isn't as good? But if Sears does continue to improve, he could be the straw that stirs a great drink. Exciting news.

OldPhiKap
08-09-2016, 03:06 PM
The main page tends not to cover verbal football commitments--like all other teams, we occasionally get burned.

The other thread features discussion of whether Sears is the most Important recruit in recent Duke history. I'd tend to say he might be in that we now have a critical mass of excellent players, some of whom may well be better at their position than Sears is at his, And who knows if Sirk isn't as good? But if Sears does continue to improve, he could be the straw that stirs a great drink. Exciting news.

Duke got Sears out of California, over USC and UCLA. He apparently had 26 known offers outstanding.

Just let that sink in.

Some video to introduce the young man: http://usatodayhss.com/2016/top-5-pro-style-passer-jack-sears-commits-to-duke

budwom
08-09-2016, 03:29 PM
While some sources refer to Sears as Pro Style or pure passer, rest assured he is seen by many others as a dual threat guy with very good running skills.

peloton
08-09-2016, 05:16 PM
Jeez...if I get anymore excited about Duke's landing Mr. Sears I'm going to have to put a new pair of Depends on. I agree that this probably deserves its own thread if for no other reason it'll ensure that more posters are aware of this accomplishment (and I don't use that word lightly).

By the way, I'm perfectly aware that nothing is certain until he and his family have sent their LOI in. I get the impression though that they really value a quality education and realize that this combined with our excellent coaching staff, the vastly upgraded (and still being improved) Wallace Wade stadium, a seriously up and coming program, the chance to possibly play a lot early, and of course the Gothic Wonderland that Duke's campus is, has sealed the deal.

Is it football season yet?

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-09-2016, 05:40 PM
Jeez...if I get anymore excited about Duke's landing Mr. Sears I'm going to have to put a new pair of Depends on. I agree that this probably deserves its own thread if for no other reason it'll ensure that more posters are aware of this accomplishment (and I don't use that word lightly).

By the way, I'm perfectly aware that nothing is certain until he and his family have sent their LOI in. I get the impression though that they really value a quality education and realize that this combined with our excellent coaching staff, the vastly upgraded (and still being improved) Wallace Wade stadium, a seriously up and coming program, the chance to possibly play a lot early, and of course the Gothic Wonderland that Duke's campus is, has sealed the deal.

It's my understanding that Jack plans to enroll in January and that he will participate in Spring Practice 2017.

devildeac
08-09-2016, 06:05 PM

If you put on that new pair of Depends and head to WW anytime this season you should be able to carry in a couple waters bottles and some sunscreen. :rolleyes: .

Avvocato
08-09-2016, 06:51 PM
It's my understanding that Jack plans to enroll in January and that he will participate in Spring Practice 2017.

Interesting. That would be amazing if he came in January. If he truly is coming in January, then in my opinion, he thinks he's coming in to challenge for a starting spot right away. I don't know if a true freshman QB would start, let alone not be redshirted, but I bet that would be his thinking. Well, I'm not going to get ahead of myself on that front, since we have a whole football season about to begin. Just fun thinking about the future of Duke football.

devildeac
08-09-2016, 07:01 PM
Interesting. That would be amazing if he came in January. If he truly is coming in January, then in my opinion, he thinks he's coming in to challenge for a starting spot right away. I don't know if a true freshman QB would start, let alone not be redshirted, but I bet that would be his thinking. Well, I'm not going to get ahead of myself on that front, since we have a whole football season about to begin. Just fun thinking about the future of Duke football.

From Olympic Fan in the Football Recruiting 2017 thread:

"I'm told that he plans to enroll early and will be here for spring practice. One of the big reasons that he picked Duke over Southern Cal and UCLA (wow! just typing that is exciting) is that he believes he can come here and compete for the starting job as a freshman."

I have trouble remembering which thread some tidbit was posted in sometimes, especially when there are "parallel" or related threads.

Hope that helps.

Avvocato
08-09-2016, 07:15 PM
From Olympic Fan in the Football Recruiting 2017 thread:

"I'm told that he plans to enroll early and will be here for spring practice. One of the big reasons that he picked Duke over Southern Cal and UCLA (wow! just typing that is exciting) is that he believes he can come here and compete for the starting job as a freshman."

I have trouble remembering which thread some tidbit was posted in sometimes, especially when there are "parallel" or related threads.

Hope that helps.

Yes, thanks. I think I may have read that now that you mention it but didn't really focus on it at the time. Thanks again.

devildeac
08-09-2016, 08:53 PM
Yes, thanks. I think I may have read that now that you mention it but didn't really focus on it at the time. Thanks again.

You're most welcome. If you live in the Triangle area (or anywhere in the NC/SC/VA area for that matter) and want to talk some football (and beer :o), come by the TrueBlue'CueCrew tent (#8) this season and pay us a visit.

campered
08-10-2016, 06:22 PM
What link? It took a while to find because I made the mistake of looking for it on CBS Sports' college football page when I should have checked the 247 Sports affiliate section. Here, for the first time on this thread:

Duke shows resilience with Jack Sears pickup (http://247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-shows-resilience-with-Jack-Sears-pickup-46647329)

I'll admit that the news may have merited its own thread, but not this one. The opening post has no link, and Coach Cutcliffe's name is misspelled. If you're going to start a new thread, you have a responsibility to get it right. Relax and take the time.I never mentioned a link in the first place, because I thought anyone who can use a computer could go to the site I mentioned, and find the article. It was on the first page of the aforementioned website, CBSSports.com. Sorry that you, as you stated, "made a mistake", by going half cocked to another portion of that website. That section is reserved for older news, FYI. As for the misspelling of the coach's name, learn what a "typo" is my friend. Perhaps, if you would have just relaxed a bit while searching the site in the first place, you would have found it like a lot of others did. As for its merit of having its on thread, I could care less. I was just excited to find out about the news and let Duke fans know, since it was not on the main DBR page. They do talk about Duke football too.

CameronBornAndBred
08-10-2016, 06:31 PM
Sorry that you, as you stated, "made a mistake", by going half cocked to another portion of that website. That section is reserved for older news, FYI.
I'm not flaming you, but I'm tempted. (It would be close to being a first, maybe my second.) Anything on the internet is "older news" within 12 hours, so anyone reading this thread at least a day later has no clue what you are talking about unless you provide a link. It's not only helpful for your post, it's common courtesy. Bashing another forum user for pointing this out, however, is not.

BD80
08-10-2016, 08:01 PM
Sounds like somebody needs a timeout. Or a nap.

OldPhiKap
08-10-2016, 08:45 PM
I thank campered for starting the thread. I note that he or she has not posted a lot. Perhaps we can gently point out suggestions for future posting so he or she stays if it bugs someone, or else let a perceived minor faux pas slide.

I am in favor of more posts from anyone who is jazzed about Duke football. And for lurkers posting more.

JMHO. Please post more. The season is nigh!

Avvocato
08-11-2016, 12:25 AM
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it's an interview with both Sears and his high school coach talking about Sears and his commitment to Duke. The coach mentions Sears' 4.0 GPA. Sears also mentions that now that he has made his decision, he can focus on his senior season and then worry about what he does at Duke in 6 months (which I took as an other reference to his coming in the spring).

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Jack-Sears-opens-up-about-his-commitment-to-Duke-46668514

RPS
08-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it's an interview with both Sears and his high school coach talking about Sears and his commitment to Duke. The coach mentions Sears' 4.0 GPA. Sears also mentions that now that he has made his decision, he can focus on his senior season and then worry about what he does at Duke in 6 months (which I took as an other reference to his coming in the spring).
It would also be great if this meant a west coast Duke football game in our future.

-bdbd
08-12-2016, 03:50 PM

It certainly makes sensed if the young man is looking for playing time/starting as a true Freshman. After all, he's said repeatedly that early playing time was going to be part of his decision. Rightly or wrongly, the perception that there's more potential for that at Duke was an advantage to us in the recruiting process.

Anybody else hoping that Sears is to Duke FB, is what Johnny D. was to Duke MBB?? IOW, the first super-recruit, in a key, visible position, who legitimized that Duke was an o-kay destination for other top-flight recruits... I'm very hopeful that his signature begets other 4-star types, especially on offense - OL, WR, TE....

rasputin
08-12-2016, 04:00 PM
It would also be great if this meant a west coast Duke football game in our future.

Aren't college football games contracted for many years in advance?

Bob Green
08-12-2016, 04:15 PM
Aren't college football games contracted for many years in advance?

Yes. Our schedule is full in 2017 and 2019. We have one slot open in 2018 and 2020:

2017: NCCU (9/2), Northwestern (9/9), Baylor (9/16), at Army (11/11)
2018: Army (9/1), at Northwestern (9/8), at Baylor (9/15)
2019: NC A&T (8/31), at Middle Tenn (9/7), Notre Dame (11/9), Tulane (TBD)
2020: Middle Tenn (9/5), Charlotte (9/19), at Notre Dame (TBD)

The fourth game in 2018 and 2020 will most likely be filled with a FCS opponent as there currently is not one on the schedule.

Olympic Fan
08-12-2016, 04:51 PM
Yes. Our schedule is full in 2017 and 2019. We have one slot open in 2018 and 2020:

2017: NCCU (9/2), Northwestern (9/9), Baylor (9/16), at Army (11/11)
2018: Army (9/1), at Northwestern (9/8), at Baylor (9/15)
2019: NC A&T (8/31), at Middle Tenn (9/7), Notre Dame (11/9), Tulane (TBD)
2020: Middle Tenn (9/5), Charlotte (9/19), at Notre Dame (TBD)

The fourth game in 2018 and 2020 will most likely be filled with a FCS opponent as there currently is not one on the schedule.

Well, that's not certain. As part of the new ACC deal with ESPN, the ACC will decide on one of two models for football scheduling -- either eight conference games and TWO P5 games OOC; or nine conference games and ONE P5 opponent OOC.

Not sure when that kicks in, but there is a good chance that by 2020, we won't have room for an FCS opponent.

Bob Green
08-12-2016, 05:02 PM
...there is a good chance that by 2020, we won't have room for an FCS opponent.

I stand corrected.