PDA

View Full Version : Summer grinds!

Furniture
08-03-2016, 11:18 PM
I suspect there will be a few of these coming out. Why not have one thread?
Here is the first I have seen...

Grayson:

https://amp.twimg.com/v/bdd2a07f-d2e5-4129-ae53-f05c8da277d9

Furniture
08-03-2016, 11:22 PM
This is not a grind. It's a good morning post from Duke Basketball.
https://mobile.twitter.com/dukeblueplanet/status/760818927786037249/video/1

mr. synellinden
08-03-2016, 11:47 PM
I suspect there will be a few of these coming out. Why not have one thread?
Here is the first I have seen...

Grayson:

https://amp.twimg.com/v/bdd2a07f-d2e5-4129-ae53-f05c8da277d9

Very nice - thanks for posting. Grayson looks like he is in incredible shape. Also great to see him working so much on his ball handling. If he could handle the point ... He is an underrated passer in my opinion with great court vision - it's the ball handling that needs improvement

Furniture
08-05-2016, 10:18 PM
https://dukeblueplanet.exposure.co/bigger-than-basketball

At the end of next spring, I plan to have completed approximately 90 percent of the requirements for my degree and walk at graduation. My goal has always been to graduate from Duke University.

gep
08-05-2016, 10:59 PM
I think Grayson's commitment to education and his Duke degree is amazing. That, to go with an All-American college basketball career. What a guy. Best of luck to him.

gep
08-06-2016, 02:31 AM
I don't know if this fits, and I don't think I saw this linked here yet... but Amile also wrote his "article"... great read...

https://dukeblueplanet.exposure.co/earn-everything

Furniture
08-06-2016, 09:03 AM
I don't know if this fits, and I don't think I saw this linked here yet... but Amile also wrote his "article"... great read...

WhT a great read indeed!

Looks like he has been working hard in the weight room....

DukieTiger
08-06-2016, 09:05 AM

Yes. I read through all the old ones last night. Highly recommend them. I'd read Jayson's and Chase's for sure. G, Seth, and Nate all have articles as well. All very interesting reads.

Related to Grayson's post- I think we were all already anticipating him being gone after this year but his comments and drive to graduate in 3 really drive that home.

devildeac
08-06-2016, 09:15 AM

Well, now we have a little better idea what his injury was:

"I had two fractures that only time could heal. I didn’t have the time."

No wonder it took months.

Take a few minutes and read this article. Great young man. Great program. Lean back after you absorb his words, sip your summer iced tea/lemonade/Saison and really appreciate all the time, effort and people and so much more that comprise what has been built at Cameron and adjoining facilities.

BandAlum83
08-06-2016, 12:34 PM
I though this thread was going to be about picking the perfect beans, roast and grind for that sublime cup of Joe for the dog days of summer.

I thought I was still on the off topic board.

NSDukeFan
08-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Well, now we have a little better idea what his injury was:

"I had two fractures that only time could heal. I didn’t have the time."

No wonder it took months.

Take a few minutes and read this article. Great young man. Great program. Lean back after you absorb his words, sip your summer iced tea/lemonade/Saison and really appreciate all the time, effort and people and so much more that comprise what has been built at Cameron and adjoining facilities.

This article confirmed that Amile will join my pantheon of all-time favorite Dukies along with Singler, Barrier, Hurley, Hill (both), J Dawkins, Kelly, JJ, Langdon, etc.

Furniture
08-06-2016, 08:44 PM
Grinding...

https://youtu.be/JkEmzZdke50

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-06-2016, 10:27 PM
WhT a great read indeed!

Looks like he has been working hard in the weight room...

This is pretty incredible. Photoshopped?
Love, Ima

Furniture
08-06-2016, 11:53 PM
This is pretty incredible. Photoshopped?
Love, Ima

Not by me...
Love Furniture.xxx

lotusland
08-07-2016, 07:51 AM
Amile showing a jump shot - is it ready for prime time?

NSDukeFan
08-07-2016, 11:05 AM

Weren't they mostly just set shots?

Saratoga2
08-08-2016, 08:11 AM
Grinding...

https://youtu.be/JkEmzZdke50

He has honed his body and looks stronger than he has been in the past.

lotusland
08-08-2016, 08:58 AM
Weren't they mostly just set shots?

C'mon quit raining on my parade- one was a turnaround and it went in! This is clear and indisputable evidence that Amile is channeling JJ!

elvis14
08-08-2016, 12:08 PM

I noticed that too, but I must admit I was looking for it. If Amile could have a dependable jump shot, he would be really hard to guard and could really add some flexibility to the offense. That said, it only showed 1 or 2 with no one playing defense.

NSDukeFan
08-08-2016, 12:17 PM
C'mon quit raining on my parade- one was a turnaround and it went in! This is clear and indisputable evidence that Amile is channeling JJ!

Sorry. With or without a jump shot, Amile is going to be awesome.

flyingdutchdevil
08-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Sorry. With or without a jump shot, Amile is going to be awesome.

This. And the chances that he develops a jump shot are <5%.

It doesn't really matter. What Amile brings to the table - defense, rebounding, leadership, intangibles - is necessary for next year's team. A jump shot? Not very necessary at all. Plus, with Tatum, Allen, and Giles starting and Kennard off the bench, do we really need more offense? Amile's 10/10 will be perfect.

yancem
08-08-2016, 01:07 PM
This. And the chances that he develops a jump shot are <5%.

It doesn't really matter. What Amile brings to the table - defense, rebounding, leadership, intangibles - is necessary for next year's team. A jump shot? Not very necessary at all. Plus, with Tatum, Allen, and Giles starting and Kennard off the bench, do we really need more offense? Amile's 10/10 will be perfect.

From listening to the Scheyer podcast with Jefferson, it sounds like he actually has a decent outside shot he just hasn't had the confidence to take it very often in games. I'm also pretty sure that I read somewhere that he had a decent mid-range game in HS. Now neither of those things mean that he will be able to demonstrate much range in live games this year but it is at least encouraging. I think a decent outside shot is his biggest obstacle to having a shot at the nba. He brings a lot of the same intangibles to the table that Lance Thomas does but if he can't be a credible threat from outside the lane, that really limits his value at the next level.

I do agree however that with or without an outside shot he will still be very valuable to the team this year.

flyingdutchdevil
08-08-2016, 01:50 PM
From listening to the Scheyer podcast with Jefferson, it sounds like he actually has a decent outside shot he just hasn't had the confidence to take it very often in games. I'm also pretty sure that I read somewhere that he had a decent mid-range game in HS. Now neither of those things mean that he will be able to demonstrate much range in live games this year but it is at least encouraging. I think a decent outside shot is his biggest obstacle to having a shot at the nba. He brings a lot of the same intangibles to the table that Lance Thomas does but if he can't be a credible threat from outside the lane, that really limits his value at the next level.

I do agree however that with or without an outside shot he will still be very valuable to the team this year.

I know Amile gets compared to LT, but I'm not sure that's really fair to either player. LT was one of the best defensive players at Duke in the last 15-20 years. He was able to guard 5 positions and had smothering on-the-ball defense. But he was a mediocre rebounder (3.6 per game during his career at Duke and only 4.9 his senior year). Also, he wasn't a good scorer. I know there are a lot of people on DBR who cringed everytime LT shot the ball (and I'm one of them).

Amile is an exceptional rebounder at 10.3 rebounders last year (and that's from playing the 4, not the 5). He's arguably one of the better offense rebounders in Duke history. He is really good at scoring within 4 feet of the rim. His defense is good - and maybe even really good - but he's not a defensive stopper. Also, he can guard the 4, most certainly a college 5, and maybe a slow 3. But he isn't suited to guard 1s and 2s.

I understand why Amile and LT are often discussed in the same sentence: same height, ultimate glue guy, intangibles, lack of a J... but I really think these two players are very different from one another.

NSDukeFan
08-08-2016, 02:05 PM
I agree with most, if not all of your post, but would add that I am not that scared when Amile gets switched on to a guard and think he is close to LT as a defensive player because he is able to contest shots at the rim better because of his length. His reach also allows him to stay with guards better, even if he isn't as quick as Lance.
I was not afraid of LT shooting and thought he hit a bunch of mid range jumpers his senior year to partly keep the defense honest and not completely hedging on the 3 S's

Furniture
08-09-2016, 09:15 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/dukeblueplanet/status/763011160278863873/video/1
Early morning work for the big guys...
https://mobile.twitter.com/dukeblueplanet/status/763004988977246208/video/1

flyingdutchdevil
08-10-2016, 08:19 AM

Harry Giles doing non-contact drills with the team. I like that. He's turning pretty aggressively for said drills, and you absolutely need functioning ACLs to do that.

Troublemaker
08-10-2016, 09:01 AM

In that first video, check out Amile participating in drills with the guards. Now, I'm sure at other points in practice, he's on the other end of the court drilling with the bigs BUT this may be an indication of the versatile role Amile will play this year. I can see us utilizing his ball-handling and passing more than usual this season since there is no point guard.

CDu
08-10-2016, 09:15 AM
I know Amile gets compared to LT, but I'm not sure that's really fair to either player. LT was one of the best defensive players at Duke in the last 15-20 years. He was able to guard 5 positions [B]and had smothering on-the-ball defense. But he was a mediocre rebounder (3.6 per game during his career at Duke and only 4.9 his senior year). Also, he wasn't a good scorer. I know there are a lot of people on DBR who cringed everytime LT shot the ball (and I'm one of them).

I agree that the two are not that similar. But to be fair, I think this might be overstating Thomas' defensive skill set. He was a terrific defender his senior year, especially in his ability to defend multiple positions. But for the first 3 years, he was mainly a spazz. Lots of energy and effort, but out of control and ultimately not effective. That's not to say that Thomas wasn't a good defender his senior year; he certainly was. But I wouldn't necessarily put him on a short list of best defensive players at Duke in the last two decades.

So much of what made that 2010 team great was that everyone was an effective positional defender and communicator. Our main guys were so good, so experienced, and so smart that Thomas and (especially) Zoubek rarely got stuck in isolation against guards. The team just knew what it was doing out there, which made everyone look better. It also helped that the staff reined in our extended pressure on the perimeter to help protect the paint, which was big given our relative lack of speed/quickness at several positions.

I think Jefferson is arguably as good defensively going into his last year as Thomas was going into his last year. He isn't as quick as Thomas was, but he also isn't as spastic as Thomas was. In isolation, he probably doesn't stand quite as good a chance as Thomas did in guarding quicker guards, but his smarts are ahead of where Thomas was going into his senior year. And as you said, Jefferson is a far better rebounder as well, and far more capable of scoring.

DukieTiger
08-10-2016, 11:00 AM
There are plenty of former Dukies who I'd probably rather have switched onto a guard. But there are verrrrrry few Blue Devils I'd rather have on a stretchy 4-5 than Amile. He's shut down two of the best offensive collegians since Curry. I don't know that Lance would have had as much success against McDermott or Kaminski. Amile's length is real!

hillsborodevil
08-10-2016, 11:27 AM
I have a fond memory of Amile's last game as a junior with Big Oak sitting with 4 fouls.

devildeac
08-10-2016, 01:29 PM
I have a fond memory of Amile's last game as a junior with Big Oak sitting with 4 fouls.

And, to his great credit, he volunteered to guard big Frank. (of course, K prolly didn't give him much choice ;)) .

flyingdutchdevil
08-10-2016, 01:48 PM
I agree that the two are not that similar. But to be fair, I think this might be overstating Thomas' defensive skill set. He was a terrific defender his senior year, especially in his ability to defend multiple positions. But for the first 3 years, he was mainly a spazz. Lots of energy and effort, but out of control and ultimately not effective. That's not to say that Thomas wasn't a good defender his senior year; he certainly was. But I wouldn't necessarily put him on a short list of best defensive players at Duke in the last two decades.

So much of what made that 2010 team great was that everyone was an effective positional defender and communicator. Our main guys were so good, so experienced, and so smart that Thomas and (especially) Zoubek rarely got stuck in isolation against guards. The team just knew what it was doing out there, which made everyone look better. It also helped that the staff reined in our extended pressure on the perimeter to help protect the paint, which was big given our relative lack of speed/quickness at several positions.

I think Jefferson is arguably as good defensively going into his last year as Thomas was going into his last year. He isn't as quick as Thomas was, but he also isn't as spastic as Thomas was. In isolation, he probably doesn't stand quite as good a chance as Thomas did in guarding quicker guards, but his smarts are ahead of where Thomas was going into his senior year. And as you said, Jefferson is a far better rebounder as well, and far more capable of scoring.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree. I remember LT as being lock-down, or as close to being lock-down. And while you're absolutely right that the 3 S's did a great job of not letting their respective opponents drive by, LT was able to cover when necessary and switch. He was versatile, active, intelligence, and calm (unlike, as you stated, his first three years). I'd take a senior LT on defense over a senior (or fifth year senior) Amile on defense. On offense? No question. In totality? Amile > LT. But I think LT's D was a thing of beauty.

yancem
08-10-2016, 02:25 PM
We're gonna have to agree to disagree. I remember LT as being lock-down, or as close to being lock-down. And while you're absolutely right that the 3 S's did a great job of not letting their respective opponents drive by, LT was able to cover when necessary and switch. He was versatile, active, intelligence, and calm (unlike, as you stated, his first three years). I'd take a senior LT on defense over a senior (or fifth year senior) Amile on defense. On offense? No question. In totality? Amile > LT. But I think LT's D was a thing of beauty.

Well to be fair, we have seen senior year Thomas but have yet to see senior (or fifth year senior) Jefferson. Thomas made a huge leap forward in pretty much all aspects of his game his senior year. If junior year Jefferson is >= junior year Thomas, then is it not a decent probability that senior year Jefferson will be >= to senior Thomas? I agree that senior Thomas was a on the ball beast defender and great help defender but I'm not sure that his perimeter defense was as strong prior to his senior year. I think that Jefferson will make some pretty strong strides this year and can close the gap, but only time will tell. One thing that may make the comparison difficult is the depth advantage 2017 will have over 2010. Jefferson probably won't be asked to do nearly as much as Thomas was.

CDu
08-10-2016, 02:38 PM

I'm happy to agree to disagree, but I can't help but wonder if your memory has grown fuzzy with time due to us having a great final 2 months in 2010 as a team and winning a national championship. Thomas was a guy who, as a senior: fouled out in 14 minutes in a January loss against Ga Tech; got torched by Tracy Smith and Dennis Horner in January at NC State; joined the team in being useless defensively at Georgetown at the end of January; committed 5 fouls in 22 minutes against BC in February; committed 3 fouls in 19 minutes against Baylor in the tourney. Even in his senior year, Thomas was hit or miss defensively.

Don't get me wrong - I think Thomas was - in aggregate - a very solid defender as a senior. He and Zoubek and the three perimeter guys really clicked starting with February 2010 and running through the tourney, losing just once at Maryland in that time. And he was physically capable of defending multiple positions to a degree probably moreso than Jefferson is. That was critical as Zoubek was a very limited defender (good at what he could do, but he could only do a limited number of things). So Thomas needed to be versatile to allow us to hide Zoubek when necessary. I just don't think he was so much better defensively than Jefferson is. I think Jefferson has generally played with poise defensively that Thomas only showed in stretches as a senior. I think he has better positional awareness, longer arms, and is a better communicator.

Of course, none of this invalidates your point that the two are not similar. Thomas was more springy and quick, Jefferson longer and more rangy. Jefferson is better on the boards and more crafty, Thomas a bit more versatile. And that's just discussing the defensive side. The two are substantially divergent offensively.

Furniture
08-10-2016, 11:50 PM
Matt Jones time. Brilliant.
https://amp.twimg.com/v/c4a294ab-5d77-4b40-a840-43bc82b1c6dc
Love it.....

flyingdutchdevil
08-11-2016, 08:21 AM
Love it....

Matt Jones looks a lot more cut (ie he either gained strength or lost weight. My guess is a little bit of both but moreso to the latter). Matt Jones has always been big, but I think he's shed a lot of weight. That tells me he'll be playing a lot more 2 than 3 this year (but I guess that is always the case).

I really hope to see Matt Jones on the court A LOT this year. His 3-and-D will be invaluable to the team, especially as Tatum, Allen, Kennard, Marques, Jefferson, Giles, and Jackson are much bigger offensive threats. I just don't want to see any Matt Jones lay-ups; if it ain't fixed during the first three years, doubt it's fixed now. There are plenty of shots that have a much higher expected value (ie nearly any other shot).

lotusland
08-11-2016, 08:29 AM
I wonder if Matt is our primary point guard this year especially out of the gate. Other candidates, I guess, are Grayson, Luke and Jackson.

flyingdutchdevil
08-11-2016, 09:42 AM
I wonder if Matt is our primary point guard this year especially out of the gate. Other candidates, I guess, are Grayson, Luke and Jackson.

My money is on Grayson. Our best returning passer, he's lost weight, he's stated that he's worked on his handle...

But I suspect that it'll be PG by committee, with players like Giles and Tatum even running the point at times.

Troublemaker
08-11-2016, 10:01 AM

My money is on Grayson. Our best returning passer, he's lost weight, he's stated that he's worked on his handle...

But I suspect that it'll be PG by committee, with players like Giles and Tatum even running the point at times.

I think it will be Grayson and also Amile in a Draymond Green like role (http://collegespun.com/acc/duke/mike-krzyzewski-wants-amile-jefferson-to-be-dukes-draymond-green-next-season). That's why Amile is drilling with the guards as well as the bigs.

I think Luke will have his shot working this season and he'll supplant Matt in the starting lineup. I think Matt will have a superb senior season off the bench.

slower
08-11-2016, 10:22 AM
I just don't want to see any Matt Jones lay-ups; if it ain't fixed during the first three years, doubt it's fixed now. There are plenty of shots that have a much higher expected value (ie nearly any other shot).

Along the same lines, I'd like to not see any jump-shot attempts by Amile, until/unless he proves that he can hit them.

flyingdutchdevil
08-11-2016, 10:23 AM
I think it will be Grayson and also Amile in a Draymond Green like role (http://collegespun.com/acc/duke/mike-krzyzewski-wants-amile-jefferson-to-be-dukes-draymond-green-next-season). That's why Amile is drilling with the guards as well as the bigs.

I think Luke will have his shot working this season and he'll supplant Matt in the starting lineup. I think Matt will have a superb senior season off the bench.

I'm not so sure. The starting line-up already has offensive studs in Allen, Tatum, and Bolden/Giles (I assume Bolden starts in the beginning of the season and Giles supplants him at the beginning of ACC play). Jefferson provides a strong balance of offense and defense, so he clearly starts. But a line-up of Allen-Tatum-Jefferson-Bolden is raw on defense and will probably be pretty poor on that end. I think Jones starts as the defensive specialist/glue guy.

slower
08-11-2016, 10:23 AM
Love it....

I know this is a small thing, but can you PLEASE, Dear God, spell Plumlee correctly? Thank you.

Troublemaker
08-11-2016, 10:44 AM
I'm not so sure. The starting line-up already has offensive studs in Allen, Tatum, and Bolden/Giles (I assume Bolden starts in the beginning of the season and Giles supplants him at the beginning of ACC play). Jefferson provides a strong balance of offense and defense, so he clearly starts. But a line-up of Allen-Tatum-Jefferson-Bolden is raw on defense and will probably be pretty poor on that end. I think Jones starts as the defensive specialist/glue guy.

I could certainly be wrong. I could envision any of Matt, Luke, or Frank completing the starting lineup, but Luke would be my guess. The defense will be very good even when Matt's not in the game, I suspect. Lots of size and length, and I actually like Luke as a defender. As for Bolden over Giles to start the season, is that based on any reporting of Giles' progress, or just a Holiday Inn Express hunch? For me, unless there is some reporting, I'm going to assume Giles, Tatum, Jefferson, and Allen to be starters, with the fifth starter being a question mark.

flyingdutchdevil
08-11-2016, 10:50 AM
I could certainly be wrong. I could envision any of Matt, Luke, or Frank completing the starting lineup, but Luke would be my guess. The defense will be very good even when Matt's not in the game, I suspect. Lots of size and length, and I actually like Luke as a defender. As for Bolden over Giles to start the season, is that based on any reporting of Giles' progress, or just a Holiday Inn Express hunch? For me, unless there is some reporting, I'm going to assume Giles, Tatum, Jefferson, and Allen to be starters, with the fifth starter being a question mark.

I don't particularly like Kennard or Grayson as defenders (from what I saw last year). Jury is out on Tatum, Jackson, and Bolden.

Bolden over Giles is based on Giles' progress. Giles, as of a few months ago, hasn't been cleared for contact basketball yet. Here is an article from April 2016 about Giles' progress: http://usatodayhss.com/2016/harry-giles-iii-in-no-rush-to-get-back-on-the-court-focused-on-fun-at-nike-hoop-summit-duke-jayson-tatum

Not sure Coach K wants Giles to go full contact until 100% ready. Given our team's talent, I like that's a smart approach.

Troublemaker
08-11-2016, 11:18 AM
Bolden over Giles is based on Giles' progress. Giles, as of a few months ago, hasn't been cleared for contact basketball yet. Here is an article from April 2016 about Giles' progress: http://usatodayhss.com/2016/harry-giles-iii-in-no-rush-to-get-back-on-the-court-focused-on-fun-at-nike-hoop-summit-duke-jayson-tatum

Not sure Coach K wants Giles to go full contact until 100% ready. Given our team's talent, I like that's a smart approach.

That article is from April 9th. His surgery was Nov 24th (http://collegespun.com/acc/duke/photo-duke-5-star-commit-harry-giles-posts-moving-message-after-successful-surgery-blue-devils-2016). There would be no reason to expect him to be cleared for contact only 5.5 months in to recovery, since rehab takes 6+ months.

Duke's first exhibition game is Oct 28th, so 11 months in. He should be ready by then, based on the timelines of other athletes that have recovered from ACL surgery. Can provide links if needed.

NSDukeFan
08-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Matt Jones looks a lot more cut (ie he either gained strength or lost weight. My guess is a little bit of both but moreso to the latter). Matt Jones has always been big, but I think he's shed a lot of weight. That tells me he'll be playing a lot more 2 than 3 this year (but I guess that is always the case).

I really hope to see Matt Jones on the court A LOT this year. His 3-and-D will be invaluable to the team, especially as Tatum, Allen, Kennard, Marques, Jefferson, Giles, and Jackson are much bigger offensive threats. I just don't want to see any Matt Jones lay-ups; if it ain't fixed during the first three years, doubt it's fixed now. There are plenty of shots that have a much higher expected value (ie nearly any other shot).
I look forward to lots of Matt Jones this year as well, but I certainly don't want to limit what he should be doing because he hit a lower percentage of his shots at the rim than others last year. We see these videos of these players busting their butt, getting in better shape, isn't it possible that a player could improve a skill or skills over his third summer, like Lance Thomas' jump shot, Quinn's great improvement his senior year, all the Plumlees great senior years, Scheyer and Nolan's great senior years?

Along the same lines, I'd like to not see any jump-shot attempts by Amile, until/unless he proves that he can hit them.
I have always hoped to see Amile always see himself as an offensive threat, whether or not he looks to shoot jump shots or not. If the staff feels his shot is good enough to take in games, I will look forward to him trying.

Mind you, I am always optimistic about the guys and love and hope to see improvement each year. Fortunately, I get to see it a lot.

flyingdutchdevil
08-11-2016, 12:53 PM
I look forward to lots of Matt Jones this year as well, but I certainly don't want to limit what he should be doing because he hit a lower percentage of his shots at the rim than others last year. We see these videos of these players busting their butt, getting in better shape, isn't it possible that a player could improve a skill or skills over his third summer, like Lance Thomas' jump shot, Quinn's great improvement his senior year, all the Plumlees great senior years, Scheyer and Nolan's great senior years?

It wasn't just last year; during M Jones sophomore year, there were plenty of debates on DBR about the merits of his drives. Safe to say that most posters weren't a fan of that shot back then either. M Jones is just a little too slow at getting to the rim, allowing the defense to fully recover. Also, M Jones's lack of hops really hurts him in that regard.

Did LT really improve on his jump shot? All through his senior year, many were in the camp of "shoot" but many were in the camp of "please don't shoot". LT shot 44% his senior year compared to 63% his junior year. He did shoot a lot more mid-rangers, but I wouldn't consider 44% to be good for a non-3 point shooting 4.

I expect Matt to be a better ballhandler, passer, and even defender. It's pretty tough to become a better 3pt shooter than 42%, but I wouldn't be surprised given all of our offensive maestros and the opportunities that will give Matt. But driver? I just don't see it. He may end up being mediocre instead of really bad at that one skill, but I doubt it becomes a legitimate weapon in the Duke offensive arsenal.

CDu
08-11-2016, 01:28 PM
I don't particularly like Kennard or Grayson as defenders (from what I saw last year). Jury is out on Tatum, Jackson, and Bolden.

That article is from April 9th. His surgery was Nov 24th (http://collegespun.com/acc/duke/photo-duke-5-star-commit-harry-giles-posts-moving-message-after-successful-surgery-blue-devils-2016). There would be no reason to expect him to be cleared for contact only 5.5 months in to recovery, since rehab takes 6+ months.

Duke's first exhibition game is Oct 28th, so 11 months in. He should be ready by then, based on the timelines of other athletes that have recovered from ACL surgery. Can provide links if needed.

Actually, April 9 was only 4.5 months after surgery. So he would be even LESS likely to be doing any contact as of early-April. During the 5th month, you're just starting to reintroduce twisting movements. No way you'd be ready for contact. It wouldn't be until after 6 or 7 months that you'd return to regular practice. I'd guess that Giles (now 8.5 months out from surgery) is probably back to full practice already, as he should be back to full strength now. I'd be absolutely shocked if he isn't starting by late October.

elvis14
08-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Actually, April 9 was only 4.5 months after surgery. So he would be even LESS likely to be doing any contact as of early-April. During the 5th month, you're just starting to reintroduce twisting movements. No way you'd be ready for contact. It wouldn't be until after 6 or 7 months that you'd return to regular practice. I'd guess that Giles (now 8.5 months out from surgery) is probably back to full practice already, as he should be back to full strength now. I'd be absolutely shocked if he isn't starting by late October.

I've been wondering for quite a while now about Giles knee. When he was hurt last year, I thought I heard it described as a "partially torn ACL". At the time I thought that would be better than having a fully torn ACL. I've had a few friends get repairs for fully torn ACL's so I kinda know what's involved there. For Giles, was is 'partial'? Would that even matter, would it be the same surgery either way? If it was a partial tear would the rehab period be shorter? Etc. Etc. You get the point. I could have heard wrong but if anyone knows more about his knee, I'd love to hear it.

CDu
08-11-2016, 02:01 PM
I've been wondering for quite a while now about Giles knee. When he was hurt last year, I thought I heard it described as a "partially torn ACL". At the time I thought that would be better than having a fully torn ACL. I've had a few friends get repairs for fully torn ACL's so I kinda know what's involved there. For Giles, was is 'partial'? Would that even matter, would it be the same surgery either way? If it was a partial tear would the rehab period be shorter? Etc. Etc. You get the point. I could have heard wrong but if anyone knows more about his knee, I'd love to hear it.

He did indeed have a partial tear. However, he did have surgery to repair it. That could either be an augmentation (if only one part of the ACL was compromised) or reconstruction (if both parts were compromised). Either way, the rehabilitation time is about the same. It certainly wouldn't be a longer time to recover from a partial tear.

The argument that a partial tear could be worse than having a full tear is based on the idea that a partial tear doesn't necessarily require surgery, but leaves you at higher risk of re-injury. If you are having surgery, though, your prognosis and recovery time is basically the same. If anything, you should probably have fewer issues long-term if you didn't require a full reconstruction, because that means that one of the two parts that make up your ACL is the natural one (as opposed to having both parts reconstructed).

The timeline I gave was for a full reconstruction (which, sadly, I've had to endure). But since the surgical procedure is similar and the time to strengthening of the new ligament is still in play, it will take about the same time for either.

NSDukeFan
08-11-2016, 02:55 PM
It wasn't just last year; during M Jones sophomore year, there were plenty of debates on DBR about the merits of his drives. Safe to say that most posters weren't a fan of that shot back then either. M Jones is just a little too slow at getting to the rim, allowing the defense to fully recover. Also, M Jones's lack of hops really hurts him in that regard.

Did LT really improve on his jump shot? All through his senior year, many were in the camp of "shoot" but many were in the camp of "please don't shoot". LT shot 44% his senior year compared to 63% his junior year. He did shoot a lot more mid-rangers, but I wouldn't consider 44% to be good for a non-3 point shooting 4.

I expect Matt to be a better ballhandler, passer, and even defender. It's pretty tough to become a better 3pt shooter than 42%, but I wouldn't be surprised given all of our offensive maestros and the opportunities that will give Matt. But driver? I just don't see it. He may end up being mediocre instead of really bad at that one skill, but I doubt it becomes a legitimate weapon in the Duke offensive arsenal.

I think Matt needs to drive some of the time to keep the defense honest. If he gets to the rim and shoots the lowest percentage on the team, I still think he needs to have that option. Hopefully, he'll make some good passes on drives and take some good pull-ups. Of course, I was also in the "good shot LT" camp, so take my opinion for what it's worth. I expect I'll be defending Matt all year.

TruBlu
08-11-2016, 04:03 PM
If YOU are the one defending Matt all year, I expect him to score on almost 100% of his drives.

(I'm not sure how you arranged to be on all of our opponents teams for their games against us.)

NSDukeFan
08-11-2016, 04:06 PM
If YOU are the one defending Matt all year, I expect him to score on almost 100% of his drives.

(I'm not sure how you arranged to be on all of our opponents teams for their games against us.)

You don't think a 6', not particularly quick, not particularly strong, very poor jumping 43 year old would defend Matt very well?

mkirsh
08-11-2016, 04:23 PM
You don't think a 6', not particularly quick, not particularly strong, very poor jumping 43 year old would defend Matt very well?

Depends if you make him shoot layups or not

Furniture
08-11-2016, 10:27 PM
I know this is a small thing, but can you PLEASE, Dear God, spell Plumlee correctly? Thank you.

What can I say?

slower
08-11-2016, 10:45 PM
What can I say?

It's all good - thanks!:)

Furniture
08-13-2016, 08:56 PM
There are some freshmen intro interviews on Duke Blue Plant at the moment.
The one that intrigued me the most is Javin's. On the off season pod cast this week Harry G said he plays very hard and he is super smart. In his interview he says he speaks three languages and plays the violin!
I imagine we are going have some fun watching this guy for some years.

http://www.dukeblueplanet.com

dukelifer
08-15-2016, 07:15 PM
There are some freshmen intro interviews on Duke Blue Plant at the moment.
The one that intrigued me the most is Javin's. On the off season pod cast this week Harry G said he plays very hard and he is super smart. In his interview he says he speaks three languages and plays the violin!
I imagine we are going have some fun watching this guy for some years.

http://www.dukeblueplanet.com

Destined to be the defensive stopper on this team.

Furniture
08-15-2016, 08:52 PM
https://amp.twimg.com/v/5ea77ff0-9741-43ee-8f97-41b4e371a8a5

Music by The XX too. Love it!!!

Newton_14
08-15-2016, 09:52 PM

This...

I watched Amile hit 3 pointers in the Summer League at NC Central prior to his freshman season. I also saw Andre Dawkins play PG and be the main ball handler on the team the summer prior to his Jr Season. Both looked pretty good doing those two skills.

When the lights came on in Cameron for Duke games however, neither of them had the confidence to try their hand at the skills. I remember screaming at Andre (he could not hear me no worries! :) ) when he would grab a rebound and refuse to take even one dribble to push it up court, but instead look frantically for someone to pass to. Same thing when he caught it on the wing within the offense. I knew the guy could dribble but I had more confidence in him than he had in himself unfortunately. I think Amile is going to be the same way with jumpshots. Which is fine, really. I would prefer he take that little 12 - 15 footer on the baseline or near the foul line, and would also prefer he take the occasional 3, but either way, he is going to be a great player this season who will absolutely score points. He is very crafty and a very very good finisher around the rim. Cant wait to see him back on the court.

Kedsy
08-15-2016, 10:28 PM
https://amp.twimg.com/v/5ea77ff0-9741-43ee-8f97-41b4e371a8a5

Music by The XX too. Love it!!!

Clearly his shooting has improved. He didn't miss one shot that entire video!

Furniture
08-15-2016, 11:35 PM
Clearly his shooting has improved. He didn't miss one shot that entire video!

Is it possible that they are editing the film? Nah.......

Furniture
08-15-2016, 11:42 PM
I'll post this on the summer grinds thread. Heart wrenching story from Jabari! Tear jerker for sure!

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jabari-parker-chicago-gun-violence/

gep
08-16-2016, 01:30 AM
I'll post this on the summer grinds thread. Heart wrenching story from Jabari! Tear jerker for sure!

Amazing person. Best part to me... when talking to the kids...

I try to talk to each of them, to show them that there’s something else out there — to show them that they don’t have to be ball players. They could also be the next Steve Jobs.

GOOD LUCK Jabari...

subzero02
08-16-2016, 06:21 AM

I have heard war veterans describe the same unease in regards to 4th of July fireworks... that should tell you something about the psychological impact of growing up on Chicago's Southside.

elvis14
08-16-2016, 10:03 AM

Wow, that's fantastic. I didn't go to Duke. I'm a Clemson grad. When I read this story, however, it reminds me of why I've stayed a Duke basketball fan. I know I became a fan because of the winning (I was at Clemson from '89 to '91) and because of some players (like Bobby Hurley and Grant Hill). But when I read a story like this, I think that this guy is a Duke guy and it's why I've stayed a fan because guys like Jabari come to Duke (and the continued winning is kinda fun too).

El_Diablo
08-16-2016, 04:42 PM
Dana O'Neil has a new article up focusing on what the team is doing while Coach K is in Rio:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17307444/how-duke-operates-coach-mike-krzyzewski-olympics-usa-basketball

Furniture
08-18-2016, 09:16 AM
Time to Chase!
https://youtu.be/bNun4LlQTcw

Furniture
08-20-2016, 03:40 AM
https://youtu.be/KqdpqVrczkY

JPtheGame
08-20-2016, 04:52 PM
Time to Chase!
https://youtu.be/bNun4LlQTcw

Similar to how Jah helped marshall grow, I think having Bolden will only help Chase develop. He seems to be in a good spot mentally which is key to allowing himself to benefit from the increased comp.

Furniture
08-22-2016, 01:41 AM
Frank!
https://youtu.be/xHyvZwUXzjE

Troublemaker
08-22-2016, 09:14 AM
Similar to how Jah helped marshall grow, I think having Bolden will only help Chase develop. He seems to be in a good spot mentally which is key to allowing himself to benefit from the increased comp.

It may be the other way around, or mutual. Chase has had a great summer. DraftExpress ranked him as the 2nd-best college performer at this summer's Adidas Nations (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/The-Top-Ten-Performers-at-the-2016-adidas-Nations-College-Games-5642/), ahead of guys like Jarron Blossomgame and Indiana big man Thomas Bryant.

I would only pencil in Bolden being ahead of Chase in the rotation. I wouldn't use pen.

JPtheGame
08-22-2016, 10:57 AM
It may be the other way around, or mutual. Chase has had a great summer. DraftExpress ranked him as the 2nd-best college performer at this summer's Adidas Nations (http://www.draftexpress.com/article/The-Top-Ten-Performers-at-the-2016-adidas-Nations-College-Games-5642/), ahead of guys like Jarron Blossomgame and Indiana big man Thomas Bryant.

I would only pencil in Bolden being ahead of Chase in the rotation. I wouldn't use pen.

Very good point and I'd be happy for these guys to both grow and become interchangeable pieces up front. Having said that, Bolden is currently projected to be a top 10 pick in next years draft for several reasons. If Chase is capable of rising to that level, all the better for everyone.

Furniture
08-24-2016, 07:57 PM
Harry Giles
https://youtu.be/wGyG8I7c6ns

nocilla
08-25-2016, 07:54 AM
Marques Bolden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHtZdyMMPco

Furniture
08-26-2016, 09:28 PM
https://youtu.be/yQbEzOV7R2k

Furniture
08-30-2016, 09:18 PM
https://youtu.be/xyxyg-ebXnchttps://youtu.be/xyxyg-ebXnc

Newton_14
08-30-2016, 10:12 PM
Marques Bolden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHtZdyMMPco

Man I love this kid already! And he may end up being my favorite recruit in this loaded group we have coming in. Power, grace, he is looking good. I have a sneaky feeling he could be much better than many realize/predict before all is said and done. Man our interior group this year appears to be locked and loaded for bear! Those perimeter guys best be bringing their A game night in and night out if they want to see the floor because with this talent, K it going to have to think harder than normal about running with just one big on the floor.

(NewtDawg14 ducks as all the thrown sneakers coming flying toward his head from the DBR folks that love small ball and believe K will always go small no matter what!) :)

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-31-2016, 06:27 AM
https://youtu.be/yQbEzOV7R2k
Wow. Javin looks to be really athletic. Don't hear much about him given all the other top recruits but he looks exciting.

yancem
08-31-2016, 10:38 AM
Wow. Javin looks to be really athletic. Don't hear much about him given all the other top recruits but he looks exciting.

Yeah we may not see much of him this season because of how loaded the team is but I think he is going to be really good down the road. He is supposed to be really aggressive and competitive with a very high motor. Could be an offensive rebounding machine and a lock down kind of defender.

Troublemaker
08-31-2016, 11:18 AM
Man I love this kid already! And he may end up being my favorite recruit in this loaded group we have coming in. Power, grace, he is looking good. I have a sneaky feeling he could be much better than many realize/predict before all is said and done. Man our interior group this year appears to be locked and loaded for bear! Those perimeter guys best be bringing their A game night in and night out if they want to see the floor because with this talent, K it going to have to think harder than normal about running with just one big on the floor.

(NewtDawg14 ducks as all the thrown sneakers coming flying toward his head from the DBR folks that love small ball and believe K will always go small no matter what!) :)

While Coach K typically ends up using a stretch PF in his predominant lineup, I'm a believer that this season will likely be an exception. There's just too much traditional big talent that I don't even think there will be a close split like 60/40 between big and small lineups. I think it'll be more like 90/10 with Tatum playing PF about 10% of the time when appropriate, e.g. as part of a free throw shooting lineup to close out a game. There's enough positive offseason chatter about Jeter that I do think we end up rotating 4 big men like we did in 2010 with Zoubek-Thomas and Plumlee-Plumlee. In fact, that's pretty much my vision/hope for this year's team -- that we'll be a more athletic, more talented, deeper version of the 2010 national champs, including having big men that crush opponents on the offensive glass and the difference being that Giles, Jefferson, Bolden, and Jeter will provide more points than the 2010 guys. That the bigs can be piano players, too, not just piano movers, to use Bob Ryan's great analogy from 2010.

flyingdutchdevil
08-31-2016, 12:34 PM
While Coach K typically ends up using a stretch PF in his predominant lineup, I'm a believer that this season will likely be an exception. There's just too much traditional big talent that I don't even think there will be a close split like 60/40 between big and small lineups. I think it'll be more like 90/10 with Tatum playing PF about 10% of the time when appropriate, e.g. as part of a free throw shooting lineup to close out a game. There's enough positive offseason chatter about Jeter that I do think we end up rotating 4 big men like we did in 2010 with Zoubek-Thomas and Plumlee-Plumlee. In fact, that's pretty much my vision/hope for this year's team -- that we'll be a more athletic, more talented, deeper version of the 2010 national champs, including having big men that crush opponents on the offensive glass and the difference being that Giles, Jefferson, Bolden, and Jeter will provide more points than the 2010 guys. That the bigs can be piano players, too, not just piano movers, to use Bob Ryan's great analogy from 2010.

I like your analysis, but I just don't believe. I believe that our frontcourt is loaded, and with a Healthy Harry, Jefferson, Bolden, and Jeter, it's formidable. A lot of really good players there. And I agree that Tatum will start at the 3 and play plenty of minutes there. But, like 2015, I suspect that Tatum will play plenty of minutes at the 4 and potentially even start there (like Winslow moving to the 4). Tatum is the perfect "Coach K Stretch 4" - tall, lanky, 3pt specialist... he's gonna be a star!

I also don't think your comparison to 2010 is apt; in 2010, we had 4 backcourt players, one of whom was a complete one-trick pony (Dawkins. Although that one-trick got us past Baylor!). This year, it's an embarrassment of riches: Allen (best returning player), Kennard, Jones, Jackson, and Tatum. It's pretty spectacular. My guess is that Coach K will be like Coach K and play his backcourt more than we think. I believe Jones, Tatum, and Kennard will all play some 3, and Tatum will play plenty of 4.

And speaking of Tatum, I think he's the most underrated player at Duke this year. Unlike Giles (deserved), Allen (deserved), and even Bolden (late committing recruits always get plenty of press), I feel like Tatum is very under-the-radar, and that's coming from the 3-4 best freshman in the class. He reminds me of a more physical, more athletic Rodney Hood (I understand the negative against Tatum is athleticism, but I think he's much more athletic than scouts give him credit for).

MChambers
08-31-2016, 12:49 PM
Those perimeter guys best be bringing their A game night in and night out if they want to see the floor because with this talent, K it going to have to think harder than normal about running with just one big on the floor.

The perimeter guys will get their minutes when K goes to the delay game.

Ichabod Drain
08-31-2016, 01:55 PM
I like you're analysis, but I just don't believe. I believe that our frontcourt is loaded, and with a Healthy Harry, Jefferson, Bolden, and Jeter, it's formidable. A lot of really good players there. And I agree that Tatum will start at the 3 and play plenty of minutes there. But, like 2015, I suspect that Tatum will play plenty of minutes at the 4 and potentially even start there (like Winslow moving to the 4). Tatum is the perfect "Coach K Stretch 4" - tall, lanky, 3pt specialist... he's gonna be a star!

I also don't think your comparison to 2010 is apt; in 2010, we had 4 backcourt players, one of whom was a complete one-trick pony (Dawkins. Although that one-trick got us past Baylor!). This year, it's an embarrassment of riches: Allen (best returning player), Kennard, Jones, Jackson, and Tatum. It's pretty spectacular. My guess is that Coach K will be like Coach K and play his backcourt more than we think. I believe Jones, Tatum, and Kennard will all play some 3, and Tatum will play plenty of 4.

And speaking of Tatum, I think he's the most underrated player at Duke this year. Unlike Giles (deserved), Allen (deserved), and even Bolden (late committing recruits always get plenty of press), I feel like Tatum is very under-the-radar, and that's coming from the 3-4 best freshman in the class. He reminds me of a more physical, more athletic Rodney Hood (I understand the negative against Tatum is athleticism, but I think he's much more athletic than scouts give him credit for).

At this point I wouldn't call Tatum a three point specialist. From all the stuff I've read on him he hasn't shown consistency from that range yet. In his last EYBL season (2015) in 22 games he only attempted 23 threes and only made four of those. He has an excellent mid-range game but I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's a good/great shooter from deep this year.

flyingdutchdevil
08-31-2016, 03:46 PM
At this point I wouldn't call Tatum a three point specialist. From all the stuff I've read on him he hasn't shown consistency from that range yet. In his last EYBL season (2015) in 22 games he only attempted 23 threes and only made four of those. He has an excellent mid-range game but I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's a good/great shooter from deep this year.

Excellent point. But he does have a complete mid-range game, and his FT % is 88%. There is a belief that FT% is a better indicator of 3pt potential than actual 3pt % (It's why scouts were so critical of Winslow's 3pt shot despite shooting ~40% in college. Turns out the scouts were right). I just hope that Jayson can find his 3pt shot in college.

Ichabod Drain
08-31-2016, 03:57 PM
Excellent point. But he does have a complete mid-range game, and his FT % is 88%. There is a belief that FT% is a better indicator of 3pt potential than actual 3pt % (It's why scouts were so critical of Winslow's 3pt shot despite shooting ~40% in college. Turns out the scouts were right). I just hope that Jayson can find his 3pt shot in college.

The concerning thing is (ok not that concerning since we will still be extremely talented and shouldn't have much problem scoring) that if Tatum doesn't find his three point shot next year and is playing most his minutes at the SF spot, then we would only have two three point threats on the court a lot of the time.

As you point out though, he is a terrific free throw and mid-range shooter so all signs would point toward him being able to shoot well from deep.

MChambers
08-31-2016, 04:44 PM
The concerning thing is (ok not that concerning since we will still be extremely talented and shouldn't have much problem scoring) that if Tatum doesn't find his three point shot next year and is playing most his minutes at the SF spot, then we would only have two three point threats on the court a lot of the time.

As you point out though, he is a terrific free throw and mid-range shooter so all signs would point toward him being able to shoot well from deep.
Having only two long distance shooters on the court at a time will certainly be a big change for Duke. That and the backcourt defense are my two biggest concerns. Which is pretty nice, come to think of it.

cato
08-31-2016, 04:45 PM

Lots of bigs. Potential to control the glass. Not many consistent 3P shooters.

That doesn't sound like Duke. That sounds like . . . ah, let's not go there.

Troublemaker
08-31-2016, 05:37 PM

Well, that's why I described this team as being potentially a deeper version of the 2010 team. You don't see that comparison at all? The potential to rotate 4 bigs. A large power wing in Tatum/Singler. Potentially converting a shooting guard to point guard.

kAzE
08-31-2016, 06:13 PM
Well, that's why I described this team as being potentially a deeper version of the 2010 team. You don't see that comparison at all? The potential to rotate 4 bigs. A large power wing in Tatum/Singler. Potentially converting a shooting guard to point guard.

Jayson Tatum and Lance Thomas are both 6'8", so I'm not sure we should really put Lance in the "true big man" category. He was more of a "Justise Winslow 4" in my opinion. The way he played, especially on defense, was more of a do-it all roamer type of guy, with Zoubek staying in the paint. So I think the 2010 team really only had 3 "true" bigs.

But given that our last 2 championships came while playing an undersized power forward, I like the idea of going with Tatum at the 4. If he can hold his own on the boards, that could be a real key to success this year.

Troublemaker
08-31-2016, 09:14 PM
Jayson Tatum and Lance Thomas are both 6'8", so I'm not sure we should really put Lance in the "true big man" category. He was more of a "Justise Winslow 4" in my opinion. The way he played, especially on defense, was more of a do-it all roamer type of guy, with Zoubek staying in the paint. So I think the 2010 team really only had 3 "true" bigs.

But given that our last 2 championships came while playing an undersized power forward, I like the idea of going with Tatum at the 4. If he can hold his own on the boards, that could be a real key to success this year.

I think both Amile and Harry will be used in versatile ways defensively as well, and Lance was closer to them on an interior-perimeter spectrum than to Justise and Tatum, who are perimeter players. I'm a fan of smallball as well; I just think it will be used sparsely this season compared to previous seasons.

kAzE
08-31-2016, 10:09 PM
I think both Amile and Harry will be used in versatile ways defensively as well, and Lance was closer to them on an interior-perimeter spectrum than to Justise and Tatum, who are perimeter players. I'm a fan of smallball as well; I just think it will be used sparsely this season compared to previous seasons.

You could be right, but most likely, it will come down to match ups. If having 2 big guys in the game will give us an advantage, that's probably what we will do. If going small benefits us, then we will probably do that. Having the type of quality depth we have is a luxury that affords us the ability to play whatever style makes sense: big, small, fast, slow, zone, M2M, whatever will win games. No matter who we're playing against, there's going to be a lineup that we can use to exploit a match up. Can it be November now???

Furniture
08-31-2016, 11:42 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/Duke_MBB/status/771110097586155520/video/1

Does anyone doubt if he loves Duke or not? Remember his words....

flyingdutchdevil
09-01-2016, 09:51 AM
https://mobile.twitter.com/Duke_MBB/status/771110097586155520/video/1

Does anyone doubt if he loves Duke or not? Remember his words...

Great talk! But that is an atrocious shirt he's wearing. That gray and that blue do not go together. Bilas - you see what happens when ESPN doesn't dress you?

Edouble
09-01-2016, 09:57 AM
Great talk! But that is an atrocious shirt he's wearing. That gray and that blue do not go together. Bilas - you see what happens when ESPN doesn't dress you?

It's pretty bad. He also needs an undershirt. I thought he had a towel wrapped around his neck before I realized that was his chest hair.

flyingdutchdevil
09-01-2016, 11:37 AM

I see some comparison, but we had no backcourt depth in 2010 that really restricted Coach K's options to play small ball. It completely worked out in the end, which is why I think 2010 is Coach K's best coaching job; he really deviated from his stretch 4 (and sometimes 5) that he is so accustomed to. Now? Coach K has 10x the number of options. He can go super small with Tatum at the 4 and Giles at the 5, or super big with Bolden and Giles/Jeter at the 4 and 5, respectively. He can have a line-up filled with 4 shooters (Grayson, Kennard, Jones, Tatum, [insert bigman]) or an offensive rebounding nightmare (Grayson, Tatum, Giles, Jefferson, Bolden. Okay, this won't be played, but it would be hilarious to watch!). In 2010, Coach K didn't have these options at all. Thomas could only play the 4, and the three Ss were really restricted to the 1-3 due to lack of depth.

I really think Coach K starts with the traditional, standard line-up of a PG (Grayson), a sharp-shooting SG (Jones), a versatile wing (Tatum), an athletic PF (Giles), and a center (Jefferson) but will revert back to his preferred "Coach K" line-up of a stretch 4 and an additional 3pt threat (Kennard or Jackson). Just my two cents.

Troublemaker
09-02-2016, 11:19 AM
DBP posted a 23-second highlight clip from "Practice 1." I look forward to any over-analysis of the clip and might provide some myself later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUV35nk1LAs

Technically, this "Practice 1" was:

Maybe the first practice since Coach K returned or maybe the first practice since the school year started.
Still an offseason practice, which the NCAA began to allow a few years ago. Official in-season practice starts at the end of this month, when teams up their level of activity significantly and being to practice regularly.

kAzE
09-02-2016, 11:59 AM
So, nobody has been talking about him at all really, but Javin DeLaurier looks really good in all of these DBP videos. He looks extremely athletic (throwing down dunks WAY above the rim), and seems to have some skill shooting the ball out to the 3 point line, with pretty good form on his jumper. He probably won't get too much playing time this year, but I think it's evident that he's going to be really good player at some point down the line. His high school tapes didn't wow me in the same way, so it looks like he's really taken it up a notch this summer.

flyingdutchdevil
09-02-2016, 12:55 PM
So, nobody has been talking about him at all really, but Javin DeLaurier looks really good in all of these DBP videos. He looks extremely athletic (throwing down dunks WAY above the rim), and seems to have some skill shooting the ball out to the 3 point line, with pretty good form on his jumper. He probably won't get too much playing time this year, but I think it's evident that he's going to be really good player at some point down the line. His high school tapes didn't wow me in the same way, so it looks like he's really taken it up a notch this summer.

I think this is very accurate, but a big reason no one is talking about Javin is that there is too much to look forward to this season, and there is a <1% chance that Javin sees meaningful playing time this year. Hell, no one is really talking much about Jeter, and he's a higher ranked player than Javin with a year under his belt and some really solid improvement (from Draft Express, who wrote a really nice piece about him). Our 2-5 positions are just too stacked to expect non-upperclassmen or highly ranked recruits (like Vrank, Robinson, Javin, or White) to make that big of an impact.

I see Javin as a more advanced Lance Thomas: similar size, high energy guy, defensive reputation, etc. The reason I say "advanced" is because Javin is shooting jumpers in his videos, which is LT in the NBA, not LT in college (well, he did shoot jumpers in college; they just weren't very effective). If Javin can be a rich man's LT, that really bodes extremely well for his junior and senior years.

lotusland
09-02-2016, 01:28 PM
DBP posted a 23-second highlight clip from "Practice 1." I look forward to any over-analysis of the clip and might provide some myself later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUV35nk1LAs

Technically, this "Practice 1" was:

Maybe the first practice since Coach K returned or maybe the first practice since the school year started.
Still an offseason practice, which the NCAA began to allow a few years ago. Official in-season practice starts at the end of this month, when teams up their level of activity significantly and being to practice regularly.

Grayson running in last place tells me he's either injured or sulking - possible transfer ???

Matt is clearly running the offense so mark him down for 30+mpg at point.

This team is going to shoot lights out but may struggle on D as I did not see a single stop.

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Plus, he appears to need a bro.

Neals384
09-03-2016, 06:22 PM
Grayson running in last place tells me he's either injured or sulking - possible transfer ???

i think you're kidding, or at least I hope you are. But this is not something to kid about.

MChambers
09-03-2016, 08:43 PM
i think you're kidding, or at least I hope you are. But this is not something to kid about.
Maybe Grayson is out of shape!

Just kidding.

flyingdutchdevil
09-06-2016, 08:44 AM

Actually, it kinda is. Grayson transferring is about as likely as Tatum and Giles staying for their sophomore years. Grayson is the BEST returning player in college basketball (maybe the best college player). Him transferring - as a junior - would be unprecedented in college basketball.

Discussing Grayson transferring is funny, because it just won't happen. Hell, Grayson is more likely to get kicked off the team rather than transfer!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-06-2016, 09:47 AM
Actually, it kinda is. Grayson transferring is about as likely as Tatum and Giles staying for their sophomore years. Grayson is the BEST returning player in college basketball (maybe the best college player). Him transferring - as a junior - would be unprecedented in college basketball.

Discussing Grayson transferring is funny, because it just won't happen. Hell, Grayson is more likely to get kicked off the team rather than transfer!

Yeah, or have a crippling season-ending foot injury! Hahahaha....

I would put "Grayson Transfer" into the bucket of "things nto to joke about," but I don't want the job of joke police.

flyingdutchdevil
09-06-2016, 09:54 AM
Yeah, or have a crippling season-ending foot injury! Hahahaha...

I would put "Grayson Transfer" into the bucket of "things nto to joke about," but I don't want the job of joke police.

I guess I just find things that won't happen to be funny and absolutely fair game to joke about. I'll happily joke about Tatum returning for his sophomore year, Grayson transferring, and Coach K leaving Duke for UNC. All have equal probability.

Ichabod Drain
09-06-2016, 09:57 AM
I guess I just find things that won't happen to be funny and absolutely fair game to joke about. I'll happily joke about Tatum returning for his sophomore year, Grayson transferring, and Coach K leaving Duke for UNC. All have equal probability.

I have it on good authority that Grayson doesn't plan on being at Duke after next season. Make of that what you will :p

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-06-2016, 10:05 AM

Sure, until K recruits over him...

;)

flyingdutchdevil
09-06-2016, 10:09 AM
I have it on good authority that Grayson doesn't plan on being at Duke after next season. Make of that what you will :p

For the record, I consider transferring and declaring for the NBA two very different things. I hope I've been clear about that.

Also, if Grayson declares after this year, that will be a veeeeeeeery good thing in terms of what likely happens in April ;)

yancem
09-06-2016, 10:55 AM
I see some comparison, but we had no backcourt depth in 2010 that really restricted Coach K's options to play small ball. It completely worked out in the end, which is why I think 2010 is Coach K's best coaching job; he really deviated from his stretch 4 (and sometimes 5) that he is so accustomed to. Now? Coach K has 10x the number of options. He can go super small with Tatum at the 4 and Giles at the 5, or super big with Bolden and Giles/Jeter at the 4 and 5, respectively. He can have a line-up filled with 4 shooters (Grayson, Kennard, Jones, Tatum, [insert bigman]) or an offensive rebounding nightmare (Grayson, Tatum, Giles, Jefferson, Bolden. Okay, this won't be played, but it would be hilarious to watch!). In 2010, Coach K didn't have these options at all. Thomas could only play the 4, and the three Ss were really restricted to the 1-3 due to lack of depth.

I really think Coach K starts with the traditional, standard line-up of a PG (Grayson), a sharp-shooting SG (Jones), a versatile wing (Tatum), an athletic PF (Giles), and a center (Jefferson) but will revert back to his preferred "Coach K" line-up of a stretch 4 and an additional 3pt threat (Kennard or Jackson). Just my two cents.

This is kind of why I hope he redshirts. It is certainly possible that he develops far/fast enough that he could go pro before that 5th year but since he is unlikely to see many real minutes this year and could be a real stud down the line, I think it is worth it. I feel the same way about White and wish that Vrank had redshirted last year. Vrank could very well need the 5th year much like MP3 did. Could be the difference between having a shot at the nba or having to go overseas. Given that he spend some of his youth overseas, maybe it isn't as big of a deal for him but increasing his chance at the nba couldn't be a bad thing could it?

SupaDave
09-06-2016, 07:47 PM

You guys do realize that Grayson is on track to graduate this year right?

flyingdutchdevil
09-07-2016, 09:14 AM
You guys do realize that Grayson is on track to graduate this year right?

Yup. But the question at hand isn't whether Grayson is leaving early/post-graduation, it's whether he is transferring. Transferring has a negative connotation; leaving early doesn't.

Kedsy
09-07-2016, 09:53 AM
Yup. But the question at hand isn't whether Grayson is leaving early/post-graduation, it's whether he is transferring.

Hold on. The "question at hand" isn't anything close to whether Grayson is transferring. It's whether it was appropriate for someone to make a joke about Grayson transferring. Right?

elvis14
09-07-2016, 10:14 AM
Hold on. The "question at hand" isn't anything close to whether Grayson is transferring. It's whether it was appropriate for someone to make a joke about Grayson transferring. Right?

Right, it was all about the joke. There wasn't or has there been any real discussion about GA transferring (which I think is about as likely as me being the starting PG on next years team).

flyingdutchdevil
09-07-2016, 10:23 AM

Absolutely. Should have been more clear. I heard Coach K is transferring to the Oxford University to revive their basketball team...

sagegrouse
09-07-2016, 10:23 AM
Yup. But the question at hand isn't whether Grayson is leaving early/post-graduation, it's whether he is transferring. Transferring has a negative connotation; leaving early doesn't.

Right, it was all about the joke. There wasn't or has there been any real discussion about GA transferring (which I think is about as likely as me being the starting PG on next years team).

Sorry to be Capt. Obvious, but some things need to be made explicit for ALL the readers. This entire sub-thread about Grayson's transferring is a joke.

Grayson is enrolled for his third year at Duke.
Last year, he was second-team academic All-American.
He has said he is on course to graduate in three years.
He is projected to be a first round NBA draft choice (#20 to Indiana per NBADraft.net).
It makes no sense whatsoever for him to consider a transfer.

cato
09-07-2016, 11:53 AM
It makes no sense whatsoever for him to consider a transfer.

Which is why it is so surprising that he is even considering it!

;-)

The Gordog
09-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Maybe Grayson is out of shape!

Just kidding.

Grayson has lapped the field.

killerleft
09-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Absolutely. Should have been more clear. I heard Coach K is transferring to the Oxford University to revive their basketball team...

Nope. He's gonna be the coxswain for the eights, showing how he can do it better than Stephen Hawking ever could. Coach K loves England for some reason.

Furniture
09-13-2016, 10:53 PM
http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=5620397

Wise words from Amile to get yer juices flowing!!!

Furn'I'd love to be able to post in the video and believe me I have tried 'ture.

slower
09-14-2016, 07:58 AM
http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=5620397

Wise words from Amile to get yer juices flowing!!!

Furn'I'd love to be able to post in the video and believe me I have tried 'ture.

If he can REALLY hit that jumper consistently, watch out. Trying not to get TOO hyped about this season, but it's hard. :p

Troublemaker
09-14-2016, 12:22 PM
If he can REALLY hit that jumper consistently, watch out. Trying not to get TOO hyped about this season, but it's hard. :p

Yeah, Amile's already a nightmare for big men to defend off the dribble. If they have to respect a jumper, too...

kAzE
09-14-2016, 12:31 PM
Yeah, Amile's already a nightmare for big men to defend off the dribble. If they have to respect a jumper, too...

I loved the video, and it's amazing to see the type of leader that Amile has become, but I'll believe in the jumper when I see it :)

I do like that he's been working on his play making, though. The scouting report for Harry also reveals that he has some skills as a ball handler and passer, so having 5 guys on the floor who can all dribble and move the ball efficiently is going to make for some beautiful offense. I can't wait to see that.

mgtr
09-14-2016, 05:18 PM
I loved the video, and it's amazing to see the type of leader that Amile has become, but I'll believe in the jumper when I see it :)

I do like that he's been working on his play making, though. The scouting report for Harry also reveals that he has some skills as a ball handler and passer, so having 5 guys on the floor who can all dribble and move the ball efficiently is going to make for some beautiful offense. I can't wait to see that.

Ah, but can they all hit free throws? Coach K has dealt with this before by having a "finishing 5." Be nice if the big men could shoot, defend, and hit free throws. Not asking for much, ha ha!

Furniture
09-15-2016, 06:37 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/Duke_MBB/status/776444429842411520/video/1

DukieTiger
09-15-2016, 11:39 PM
I see you, Harry-Amile-Marques. Running with the whites together in some of those clips.

Ichabod Drain
09-16-2016, 08:47 AM
I see you, Harry-Amile-Marques. Running with the whites together in some of those clips.

We just need Tatum at the 2 then.... holy cow

DukieTiger
09-16-2016, 07:47 PM
We just need Tatum at the 2 then... holy cow

It was hard to tell because there were clips from a few different lineup configurations, but I'm 70% sure I saw a white lineup of Allen-Tatum-Jefferson-Giles-Bolden in there at one point.

COYS
09-16-2016, 10:46 PM
It was hard to tell because there were clips from a few different lineup configurations, but I'm 70% sure I saw a white lineup of Allen-Tatum-Jefferson-Giles-Bolden in there at one point.

That lineup says: All your rebounds are belong to us.

In reality, though, that lineup only works on offense if two out of Amile, Jayson, and Harry become threats from three point range. And it only works on defense if Jayson and Amile have gotten so quick, latterly, that they can handle opposing guards. Imagine this lineup vs the 2015 lineup.

Grayson vs Tyus
Jayson vs Quinn
Amile vs Matt
Harry vs Justise
Jahlil vs Bolden

What a strange matchup that would be to watch.

Furniture
09-20-2016, 10:55 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/Duke_MBB/status/778296613060116480/video/1

Impressive young man.

Furniture
09-24-2016, 11:04 AM
Everyday I wake up it's just a blessing!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Duke_MBB/status/778989082504491008/video/1
Another stand up young man!

elvis14
09-24-2016, 12:06 PM
Everyday I wake up it's just a blessing!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Duke_MBB/status/778989082504491008/video/1
Another stand up young man!

For those of you wondering, this is Javin's video. Saw it on Facebook yesterday and it's a good one. We are lucky to have this young man playing for us. Look at how close his head gets to the rim and how high the apex of his reach is! Wow.