PDA

View Full Version : And Blue Devil Alley Wept...

dpslaw
08-01-2016, 10:38 PM
No re-entry at Wallace Wade for 2016:

http://today.duke.edu/2016/08/footballsafety

AustinDevil
08-01-2016, 11:06 PM
And no bags of any kind, not even the clear-plastic policy that many schools have adopted. That is ridiculous. I know Duke really can't be trying to suppress attendance, but it sure feels like we don't want people to attend games.

BigWayne
08-02-2016, 01:50 AM
And no bags of any kind, not even the clear-plastic policy that many schools have adopted. That is ridiculous. I know Duke really can't be trying to suppress attendance, but it sure feels like we don't want people to attend games.

This policy looks like it was conceived by someone only worried about their own responsibilities and/or liabilities.

Bob Green
08-02-2016, 04:54 AM
The no bags policy isn't going to make the wife and daughter happy. There are legitimate items brought into the stadium in bags such as rain gear when inclement weather is forecast and blankets on cold days in October and November.

oldnavy
08-02-2016, 05:52 AM
The no bags policy isn't going to make the wife and daughter happy. There are legitimate items brought into the stadium in bags such as rain gear when inclement weather is forecast and blankets on cold days in October and November.

Exactly. Even the Baltimore Ravens allow clear bags into M&T Bank Stadium. I say this because the NFL is about as uptight of an organization as you will ever find.

I wonder if enough folks contact the admin office if they will reconsider this?

I'll drop them an email today.....

devilish
08-02-2016, 06:00 AM
You thought Wallace Wade was empty before... Used to go out at halftime to grab a few more beers and leftovers and gather with family to discuss the first half. Kids always looked forward to the stamp on the hand (or face.) Many more did the same. I guarantee you people still will, leaving the stadium even more deserted.

devildeac
08-02-2016, 07:46 AM
I'm guessing our tailgate group, collectively or individually, will send emails to the AD voicing our displeasure and disapproval of these somewhat ridiculous policies. Certainly not measures to enhance the game day experience and boost attendance.

SMH

OldPhiKap
08-02-2016, 08:12 AM
Remind me again, because we've talked about this before -- does Duke have the ability to sell beer at games, but chooses not to do so? Beer is always available at NCAA basketball sites and bowl games, so I assume there is not an NCAA ban.

I could arguably see the no in/out rule if you sold beer and did not want the competition. And my guess is, beer is one of the main reasons folks slip out at half.

budwom
08-02-2016, 08:40 AM

here's my ultra secret way of dealing with this: I'll carry in my stuff by hand without a bag, but i'll have a bag (kitchen trash bag) folded up in my back pocket, and once I get inside, I'll put
my stuff (sun lotion, towel, raincoat, etc) in the bag. I often like to use a plastic bag so I can put stuff under my seat and it is protected from the nitwits who always seem
to spill Cokes about five minutes into the game...

aimo
08-02-2016, 08:55 AM
So for the early-season games when we are bringing in several bottles of sunscreen, hats, cooler towels, etc, do those count as medical supplies? This is so ridiculous, it will have to change.

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-02-2016, 09:04 AM
My wife sometimes thinks that I act like a child. So, does a flask then qualify as meeting medicinal "childcare" needs for me?

I cannot figure out the no re-entry thing. In what scenario is that keeping anyone safer? It feels like a ploy to force people to remain in the stadium for the second half.

Newton_14
08-02-2016, 09:19 AM
My wife sometimes thinks that I act like a child. So, does a flask then qualify as meeting medicinal "childcare" needs for me?

I cannot figure out the no re-entry thing. In what scenario is that keeping anyone safer? It feels like a ploy to force people to remain in the stadium for the second half.

My uniformed guess is that they don't want the hassle of having to go through the Metal Detector/Pat Down process again. Could be wrong but so far that is the only thing that comes to my mind...

richmclean
08-02-2016, 09:22 AM
Can someone please post the relevant email addresses for sane people to respond to this?

devildeac
08-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Remind me again, because we've talked about this before -- does Duke have the ability to sell beer at games, but chooses not to do so? Beer is always available at NCAA basketball sites and bowl games, so I assume there is not an NCAA ban.

I could arguably see the no in/out rule if you sold beer and did not want the competition. And my guess is, beer is one of the main reasons folks slip out at half.

I like to slip out for 15-20 minutes to make sure I get one of the specialty desserts that get put out then and a bottle of water/can of soda. Believe it or not, I rarely have another beer at half-time. :o

OldPhiKap
08-02-2016, 09:39 AM
I like to slip out for 15-20 minutes to make sure I get one of the specialty desserts that get put out then and a bottle of water/can of soda. Believe it or not, I rarely have another beer at half-time. :o

Put me down for "not."

Just sayin'

ricks68
08-02-2016, 10:14 AM
here's my ultra secret way of dealing with this: I'll carry in my stuff by hand without a bag, but i'll have a bag (kitchen trash bag) folded up in my back pocket, and once I get inside, I'll put
my stuff (sun lotion, towel, raincoat, etc) in the bag. I often like to use a plastic bag so I can put stuff under my seat and it is protected from the nitwits who always seem
to spill Cokes about five minutes into the game...

The website says you cannot even bring in a plastic bag even if it is folded up.

ricks

AustinDevil
08-02-2016, 10:15 AM

Yes, Duke can sell beer and wine at games, but chooses not to do so.

NC State and UNCheat cannot sell beer and wine at games, due to state laws that apply to state schools but not private schools. So it would be even more of a gameday-experience advantage over the competition. Yet we do not do it.

ricks68
08-02-2016, 10:17 AM
How about getting people to contact Coach Cut? Why should attendance suffer considering all he has done?

ricks

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-02-2016, 10:18 AM
I will walk softly and carry a big purse.
Love, Ima

AustinDevil
08-02-2016, 10:19 AM
My uniformed guess is that they don't want the hassle of having to go through the Metal Detector/Pat Down process again. Could be wrong but so far that is the only thing that comes to my mind...

I think this is a good guess. I am already of the opinion that Duke's underinvestment in the numbers and training (and possibly pay, but I do not have that data) of the personnel hired to facilitate stadium security entry checks and ticket scans is severe, even before effectively operating metal-detector scans and efficiently disposing of every bag that is forced to be discarded are tasks to be added to their list.

fidel
08-02-2016, 10:55 AM
I am going to start a drone service to deliver six packs to my customers.

Thinking of a name...Devildeac's? Ymmmmm...Beer? Amazon?

OldPhiKap
08-02-2016, 11:03 AM

"Sky Suds"

Indoor66
08-02-2016, 11:13 AM

Methinks the good Doctor is speaking with forked tongue. :cool:

CameronBornAndBred
08-02-2016, 11:25 AM
I will walk softly and carry a big purse.
Love, Ima
But not into the stadium.

DukieInKansas
08-02-2016, 11:33 AM

So they don't even allow purses? Can't wait to watch all the women "open carry" feminine hygiene products in with them. Could make for some interesting conversations during entry to Wallace Wade. "Yes, I do need 10 tampons during the game. If you would let me carry in a purse, we wouldn't be having this discussion in front of the 5 year old boy behind me in line. No, he isn't my son. I don't know him or his father."

CameronBornAndBred
08-02-2016, 11:36 AM
So they don't even allow purses? Can't wait to watch all the women "open carry" feminine hygiene products in with them.
No purses.

To increase security in a large crowd setting and provide a better entry and game experience for all guests, no bags or purses of any kind will be allowed to enter the stadium on game days with the following exceptions

Wristlets/clutches (with or without a strap) that fit in the palm of the hand (no larger 5 inches x 8 inches x 1 inch).
Duke Stores merchandise bags with receipt for purchase, with restrictions on stadium prohibited items.
Bags for medical and/or childcare needs.
Bags for credentialed game day staff.

BigWayne
08-02-2016, 11:36 AM

They have alcohol in the new suites, but not in the main concession area. This problem of halftime access seems to be only a problem for the plebian fans who apparently can't be trusted to hold their liquor.

duke79
08-02-2016, 11:54 AM
I see this new policy as just a confirmation of the insane times in which we live, sort of like the TSA lines at the airports. I assume Duke is concerned about people bringing in weapons or bombs. I'm not sure that Duke football games are high on the list of terrorists or lunatics to attack but who really knows?

This certainly won't make for a better "game day experience"....and Duke definitely needs to find a way to get more people in the stands.

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-02-2016, 12:25 PM
I see this new policy as just a confirmation of the insane times in which we live, sort of like the TSA lines at the airports. I assume Duke is concerned about people bringing in weapons or bombs. I'm not sure that Duke football games are high on the list of terrorists or lunatics to attack but who really knows?

This certainly won't make for a better "game day experience"...and Duke definitely needs to find a way to get more people in the stands.
As soon as they stop making your average non-Iron Duke attendee walk 1+ miles each way to and from the stadium... it might help.

Bob Green
08-02-2016, 12:29 PM
So the new security regulations are to enhance public safety:

To increase security in a large crowd setting and provide a better entry and game experience for all guests, no bags or purses of any kind will be allowed to enter the stadium on game days with the following exceptions:

• Duke Stores merchandise bags with receipt for purchase...

I'm happy to see greed trumps public safety.

Reddevil
08-02-2016, 12:35 PM

Spirits in the Sky!

Beer, wine, and well...spirits.

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-02-2016, 12:47 PM

Yes. I just re-read that fine print. They'll NEVER get away with this. Just ask any mother carrying a diaper bag.
Love, Ima

OldPhiKap
08-02-2016, 12:55 PM

"I've got a bobble-head, and I ain't afraid to use it!!!!"

Pghdukie
08-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Powers to Be at Duke are taking this way to far. I understand the fact that Duke is a non-profit learning institution, and by implementing this program - will be discouraging fans. Kind of a shame Cut & Crew will be looking at more empty seats.

diablesseblu
08-02-2016, 01:13 PM
This is ludicrous. Are they going to provide patrols of all of the parking areas during the game? My guess is no, but those cars will be ripe pickings re: what's left in them.

budwom
08-02-2016, 01:34 PM
I think this is a good guess. I am already of the opinion that Duke's underinvestment in the numbers and training (and possibly pay, but I do not have that data) of the personnel hired to facilitate stadium security entry checks and ticket scans is severe, even before effectively operating metal-detector scans and efficiently disposing of every bag that is forced to be discarded are tasks to be added to their list.

If the people "directing traffic" (and I use that term with the utmost looseness) are any indication, you are absolutely right. I can tell you with complete honesty that the folks positioned
to direct traffic/parking on the East side (specifically the Blue Lots) are an absolute impediment. The process would go better without them. Some of the things they do are absolutely inexplicable.
They show no signs of having been trained.

budwom
08-02-2016, 01:36 PM
The website says you cannot even bring in a plastic bag even if it is folded up.

ricks

If they can find it, they can have it, but I bet they can't. (but thanks for the info.....)

CameronBornAndBred
08-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Yes. I just re-read that fine print. They'll NEVER get away with this. Just ask any mother carrying a diaper bag.
Love, Ima

That could be a truly great protest...

devildeac
08-02-2016, 01:50 PM

So, they're worried about "terrorists" and I guess potentially long lines to enter WW but will be perfectly willing to take the time to have you open your Duke-purchased gear and then take additional time to inspect the receipt. Yea, I get it. Bastards.

Son of Jarhead
08-02-2016, 01:59 PM
Love, Ima

Bags for "medical and/or childcare" are on the exception list, so diaper bags are allowed.

devildeac
08-02-2016, 02:05 PM
Bags for "medical and/or childcare" are on the exception list, so diaper bags are allowed.

Guess I could hide a couple bottles of water and sunscreen in my Depends :o .

OldPhiKap
08-02-2016, 02:31 PM
Regarding the medical exemption, a little hint for the college kids: vodka in a colostomy bag may sound like a good idea, but is not.

weezie
08-02-2016, 02:32 PM
Regarding the medical exemption, a little hint for the college kids: vodka in a colostomy bag may sound like a good idea, but is not.

Please tell me this was not hard earned knowledge from personal experience. :eek:

devildeac
08-02-2016, 02:33 PM
From one of our tailgate friends who used to post here and who regularly travels ~250 miles round trip to attend games (I did receive the poster's permission to copy/paste here.)

"I'm already suffering withdrawal symptoms by not being able to bring my purse into the stadium. Where am I supposed to put my car keys, my wallet, my telephone, my sunglasses, my kleenex, my camera (and lenses) my hat, my gloves (in cold weather), my gum, my allergy meds, my "hygiene" products, my pocket-sized umbrella for the walk back to the car because the use of umbrellas is prohibited in the stadium, my rain poncho and my ear buds so that I can listen to Bob Harris on the radio during his last season at Wally Wade? Maybe I'll just get a peasant skirt with lots of pockets and WEAR all of this stuff into the stadium. What an ill-considered policy, especially for women.

And then, if I leave one of the above-things in my purse locked in the car and I need to go and get it, TPTB are going to deny my re-entry to the stadium. Wow! That's some sort of hospitality, Duke.

I go through security every day at the courthouse, and I'm allowed to bring all of the above-listed items--plus lots of other things--in my purse. There are criminals in those courtrooms, and they are allowed to bring in purses so long as they pass through the x-ray machine and metal detectors.

I can think of no reason for prohibiting purses and/or bags inside the stadium, especially when we've passed through a metal detector, I don't understand why Duke is treating its graduates and donors (who include my 82-year old mom, my husband and me) with such distrust, disrespect and disdain. Well, actually, I can. This sounds like yet another way for Duke to make money: by creating a marketplace inside the stadium for the items we forgot.

I am NOT impressed."

weezie
08-02-2016, 02:36 PM
...Maybe I'll just get a peasant skirt with lots of pockets and WEAR all of this stuff into the stadium...

I sense a marketing/fashion design opportunity here. Peasant skirts! Yeah boy!

devildeac
08-02-2016, 02:43 PM
I sense a marketing/fashion design opportunity here. Peasant skirts! Yeah boy!

Well, wearing peasant skirts is not my quote but I get your point. :o;)

allenmurray
08-02-2016, 02:48 PM
The no purse/no bag rule has nothing to do with security. It has to do with maximizing profit. You might bring something in your purse or bag that you would otherwise purchase in the stadium. Instead of the candy bar you can buy a $7 ice cream. Instead of that granola bar you can buy a $5 bag of peanuts. Instead of that 99 cent rain poncho from WalMart you can buy a Nike branded one for $8. It is the same rationale for not being allowed to leave and re-enter. You might go back out to the tailgate for some more food or beverage that they can otherwise sell you for an extraordinary profit.

More frustrating than the actual policy is the fact that the Duke officials expect us to believe their stated reasons, which are extraordinary lies. I expect to be ripped off when I go to a theme park, sports venue, airport. But I don't like being lied to and treated like an idiot.

sagegrouse
08-02-2016, 02:52 PM
Are there still ultra-cheap tix available for Duke football? Then having two tickets (or three) can solve the no -reentry problem

devildeac
08-02-2016, 02:58 PM
Are there still ultra-cheap tix available for Duke football? Then having two tickets (or three) can solve the no -reentry problem

Our pair of GA tix cost us $180 this year for 6 home games, plus $30 shipping/handling. I'm not buying a second pair of tix to re-enter. (Granted you might be able to pick up some employee tix for less in Devil's Alley or around CIS on game day.)

OldPhiKap
08-02-2016, 03:04 PM
Please tell me this was not hard earned knowledge from personal experience. :eek:

It is a story best left untold.

weezie
08-02-2016, 03:49 PM
... I expect to be ripped off when I go to a theme park, sports venue, airport. But I don't like being lied to and treated like an idiot.

Absolutely agree with you. Can I interest you in a custom-designed, security-proof peasant skirt? If they want us to look the part of idiots, we might as well dress that way.

It really is tiresome. Thanks AD White! You're doing a heck of a job.

szstark
08-02-2016, 03:50 PM
I can't believe what I am reading in this thread. College campuses and sporting events have been prime targets for terrorists. Anything the university does to help ensure safety should be applauded, not criticized. Whining about the minor inconvenience of "where will I put my sunscreen" as a trade off against public safety is absurd. If (God forbid) an attack were to happen on the Duke campus, people on this board would be among the first to scream "why didn't they protect us?" This response to updated security is disappointing and borders on irresponsible. It's a dangerous world out there folks and efforts to make it less so should be supported.

CameronBornAndBred
08-02-2016, 03:55 PM
I can't believe what I am reading in this thread. College campuses and sporting events have been prime targets for terrorists. Anything the university does to help ensure safety should be applauded, not criticized. Whining about the minor inconvenience of "where will I put my sunscreen" as a trade off against public safety is absurd. If (God forbid) an attack were to happen on the Duke campus, people on this board would be among the first to scream "why didn't they protect us?" This response to updated security is disappointing and borders on irresponsible. It's a dangerous world out there folks and efforts to make it less so should be supported.

What is the security benefit of not allowing re-entry? Don't say because they don't want the lines. Right now, I'll probably skip the first half and go in for the second..they STILL have to screen me.

CathyCA
08-02-2016, 04:11 PM

I pass through security checks every day at work. Security checks are rather commonplace these days. I get to bring my purse with me when I go to work and pass through security. I get to bring my purse with me when I go to the airport and pass through security. I'd just like to be able to bring my purse with me when I go to a football game. I don't mind going through the metal detectors and sending my purse through x-ray, both of which are reasonable security measures.

allenmurray
08-02-2016, 04:27 PM

I live in North Carolina. Other posters here live in Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, etc. You live in the State of Paranoia.

Bags can be screened without being forbidden. Metal detectors can detect the presence of a handgun without women not being allowed to carry purses into a football game. Mother/fathers with young children do not have to be relegated to a special line to have diaper bags inspected - they can be put through the x-ray machine like anything else. Not allowing someone to return to the stadium after entering serves no security purpose - it simply requires that they be screened twice.

Benjamin Franklin warned against trading liberty for safety - now we are trading liberty for a false sense of safety.

szstark
08-02-2016, 05:40 PM
I live in North Carolina. Other posters here live in Georgia, Virginia, Maryland, etc. You live in the State of Paranoia.

Bags can be screened without being forbidden. Metal detectors can detect the presence of a handgun without women not being allowed to carry purses into a football game. Mother/fathers with young children do not have to be relegated to a special line to have diaper bags inspected - they can be put through the x-ray machine like anything else. Not allowing someone to return to the stadium after entering serves no security purpose - it simply requires that they be screened twice.

Benjamin Franklin warned against trading liberty for safety - now we are trading liberty for a false sense of safety.

I knew my response wouldn't be a popular one. I agree that bags could be screened instead of forbidden, but there are trade-offs. The cost of x-ray machines is one trade-off. The increased time waiting in line to have bags inspected another. I have no idea why they are not allowing re-entry rather than just re-screen. Moreover, there are many museums and tourist sites throughout the world that forbid bags. Duke is not unique. I'm not sure what liberty we are giving up by increasing public safety. I don't remember reading anything about carrying bags anywhere you want in the Constitution and I know I've been asked to put my backpack and my wife's purse in lockers outside venues in this country and around the world. My point was more that people seem to be whining about relatively minor inconveniences. I don't agree that efforts to increase safety equate to a false sense of safety. Since you asked, I have lived in Pennsylvania, North Carolina (while at Duke), Maryland, and Florida. Currently I live in the real world.

buddy
08-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Duke better win a LOT of football games this year, and future years. Because the ONLY reason to go now will be the game.

cf-62
08-02-2016, 06:41 PM
I knew my response wouldn't be a popular one. I agree that bags could be screened instead of forbidden, but there are trade-offs. The cost of x-ray machines is one trade-off. The increased time waiting in line to have bags inspected another. I have no idea why they are not allowing re-entry rather than just re-screen. Moreover, there are many museums and tourist sites throughout the world that forbid bags. Duke is not unique. I'm not sure what liberty we are giving up by increasing public safety. I don't remember reading anything about carrying bags anywhere you want in the Constitution and I know I've been asked to put my backpack and my wife's purse in lockers outside venues in this country and around the world. My point was more that people seem to be whining about relatively minor inconveniences. I don't agree that efforts to increase safety equate to a false sense of safety. Since you asked, I have lived in Pennsylvania, North Carolina (while at Duke), Maryland, and Florida. Currently I live in the real world.

It sounds like you need a seat on the BoT - most of the impetus for the increased security in Cameron last year and Wally Wade this year is borne from a single trustee saying "what if?" THEN, Duke hired a private security firm to come up with these policies. That's one of the reasons that the policies seem so out of whack with the reality of the experience of game day, because nobody that gave a hoot about the game day experience was involved in writing the policies.

In reality, we are the last school to put real security measures in place in the conference. I've been going through metal detectors at NC State football and basketball games for years.

But, regardless of whether you think ultimate safety is the goal (it isn't) of any adventure, the policies here are ridiculously out of touch with the reason that people go to football games. This isn't an assembly where we are all required to be there. We are customers shelling out anywhere from $50 - $500 per game to come revel in our football team.

Unlike the changes in basketball that only adversely impacted first time visitors (no more pictures on K Court), these policies that have no noticeable impact on whether or not fans are safe (hint: we're not) at Duke. They are a guise to cut operational costs and drive a certain type of patron to buy upgraded tickets, etc.

So two more things:

1) If you really must do the pass out thing, I would recommend an investment in the Blue Zone plan (that's 4 extra GA seats per game to bring with you). Leave at half-time, do your thing, then use your second ticket to re-enter the game and go back to your original seat.

2) Unless they CLOSE campus and screen 100% of every car that enters, you are no safer going to a game with these policies than before. You are safer IN THE STADIUM, but I think we've established that is only a portion of the game day experience.

Pghdukie
08-02-2016, 07:22 PM
If you are afraid of going to any sporting events at Duke - PLEASE - Build yourself a bomb shelter,run an extension cord, steal cable TV and watch the game by yourself. Don't call out for pizza because when it comes and you step outside to pay - you can't re-enter because of an I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. nine policy

devil84
08-02-2016, 07:42 PM

For some of us, sunscreen is extremely important to our health. I can guarantee myself a horrible sunburn in Wallace Wade without the ability to reapply during the course of a game. And I still need keys, a cell phone, possibly a lightweight jacket or rain jacket, cap/hat, a blanket/cushion to sit on (those bleachers are tough on the tush), as will everyone who comes with me. Why not let use a clear bag, just like we had to do at the National Championships in 2015, and just like those allowed in nearly every other stadium? Heck, they can sell them for a massive profit and we'd likely buy them.

I don't feel any safer because nobody can bring bags in. If one can smuggle a bottle of water, contraband snacks, or a flask or three of alcohol into the stadium, I'm quite certain that someone intent on doing harm could bring in whatever they need. I don't think it's irresponsible to ask that the administration use the same precautions as other stadiums rather than being far stricter.

You noted that you have been asked to put belongings in lockers outside the venues. Unless Duke has installed tens of thousands of lockers outside Wallace Wade without telling anyone, this isn't an option. It's likely more expensive than renting the x-ray equipment. And they've been checking our purses FOR YEARS without slowing down the lines -- why not a visual inspection of clear bags?

"Whining about relatively minor inconveniences," well, clearly you haven't been at a football game lately. It's at least a 20 minute walk from the parking lots (unless you have an Iron Duke parking pass). That's inconvenient enough. Now we have to juggle all our belongings without a bag while walking a mile or so -- that is NOT a "minor inconvenience." Now, imaging you don't read the boards and you didn't know about this policy. You've walked a mile to get to the stadium, and now you can't bring in your backpack. You can put your camera, backpack, and your wife's purse in the trash, or walk them back to the car, then return. This isn't a "minor inconvenience." This is what keeps people from returning to games to become fans, and it gives pause to even the most rabid fans. I think there's a way to be safe without making it difficult on the attendees who fund this event.

WakeDevil
08-02-2016, 10:26 PM
The terrorists win again.

oldnavy
08-03-2016, 07:53 AM

Not to mention that anyone with half a brain could easily come up with a dozen ways to "sneak" in a weapon if so inclined.

These rules like a lot of so called "safety" rules are short sighted and do nothing to improve security. Only the people who play by the rules will keep to the rules.

They do serve the purpose of giving the rule makers a sense of importance and accomplishment which explains how we get so many of these ineffective and unnecessary rules in the first place.

oldnavy
08-03-2016, 08:10 AM

How much money would you be willing to lose for me to prove you wrong? I promise you that I could EASILY produce any item (or reasonable facsimile) that you feel concerned about coming in through the gates of WW inside WW at kick off on any game day of your choice.

Of course, I am NOT going to do this, but I make this statement to get you to think about it for a second or two, and not just accept that the screening measures that are in place provide you, me or anyone security from those who are determined to do harm.

I've been through real security check points many, many times before often with a 240 cal SAR pointed at me... what Duke is doing will not increase security at all. It will just make the determined evil doer think about 1 minute longer on how to do his or her evil.

Real security measure would be looked upon as draconian by just about everyone on this board, including me.

Indoor66
08-03-2016, 09:36 AM
Not to mention that anyone with half a brain could easily come up with a dozen ways to "sneak" in a weapon if so inclined.

These rules like a lot of so called "safety" rules are short sighted and do nothing to improve security. Only the people who play by the rules will keep to the rules.

They do serve the purpose of giving the rule makers a sense of importance and accomplishment which explains how we get so many of these ineffective and unnecessary rules in the first place.

Sounds like a discussion of TSA! :mad::cool:

OZZIE4DUKE
08-03-2016, 10:41 AM
It sounds like you need a seat on the BoT - most of the impetus for the increased security in Cameron last year and Wally Wade this year is borne from a single trustee saying "what if?" THEN, Duke hired a private security firm to come up with these policies. That's one of the reasons that the policies seem so out of whack with the reality of the experience of game day, because nobody that gave a hoot about the game day experience was involved in writing the policies.

The "single trustee" you mention is Adam Silver, commissioner of the NBA. He's the one who mandated security be put in place last fall for the basketball games last year and football games this coming season. This tidbit of information came to me in a phone call yesterday with a member of the administration while discussing this topic and tailgating. He, or she, also told me that the mandate came with no extra funding (typical of government mandates, but let's not get into public policy territory) and that the athletic department had to foot the bill for the metal detectors last basketball season and forward. The University had to give the athletic department a loan to pay for the security.

Emails sent to this particular individual, and the athletic department personnel in general, are being forwarded to persons in the administration responsible for the wanker policy. Mike Craig, Kevin White and more are included in the forwarding. Emails directly to those individuals could also be sent.

Personally, I think the purse policy and especially the no reentry policy are over-reaching the bounds of common sense. We did run into the small purse policy last September when we went to a Charlotte Panther game (I don't root for any team called carolina, hence the Charlotte Panthers, Raleigh Hurricanes, etc.). Fortunately, another lady walking back to our remote parking lot told us that my significant other's purse was too large and wouldn't be allowed into the stadium. So instead of an extra 2 miles to walk, we only had 100 yards back to our car.

Perhaps a mass exodus protest at the end of the first half of the NCCU game on Sept. 3rd would make a loud enough statement without hurting our team's on the field performance. I certainly hope that we can beat them without the 12th man's help. :cool:

BLPOG
08-03-2016, 12:10 PM
I think all the important points have already been made, but I'd like to get on the record as well stating that this policy is terrible. It's security theater, nothing more than window dressing, and it's a huge inconvenience. The evidence suggests it is a attempt to turn Duke fans upside down and shake them until all the change falls out of their pockets (just as they do to students), which is insulting and ill-conceived given that there will be fewer fans available to shake. Worrying about terrorism is an irrational activity borne of bad information or bad reasoning.

Despite what we see in the news these days, violent crime (https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2014/crime-in-the-u.s.-2014/tables/table-1) and terrorism have been on the decline for decades. I know, it can be hard to believe, but the numbers don't lie. There's one huge blip (http://humanprogress.org/f1/3029/1970/2014/United%20States) in the trend - 9/11/01 - but other than that, even with all the recent shootings and bombings we've heard of in the States and Europe (there is a spike recently, but still downward long-term), the numbers say we're safer. Other world regions (parts of Africa (http://humanprogress.org/f1/3029/1970/2014/Nigeria), much of the Middle East (http://humanprogress.org/f1/3029/1970/2014/Afghanistan/Iraq/Pakistan/Syria)) haven't been as lucky (although I suspect the earlier data isn't as good).

Ultimately, it's a matter of preference. We can look at actual attendance to determine revealed preference, and despite people often assuming violence is more likely than it is, the fact that people attend public events shows that they implicitly understand it is not likely and are willing to accept a low risk accompanying an enjoyable activity. The fact that overall attendance at sporting events has been in decline is largely assumed to be due to convenience factors and better home-viewing experiences (easy access to streaming video, big TVs, etc.). If you want people at games, let the fans bring what they want. I'm tired of having to sneak my contraband (typically only a small pocket knife that I always carry) into professional sporting events and not looking forward to this nonsense at Duke.

left_hook_lacey
08-03-2016, 12:37 PM
I just wanted to add a couple of thoughts.

A.) I went to quite a lot of games last year at Duke, NC State, UNC, and ECU. They only time I saw the no re-entry policy was at the State-UNC game in Raleigh, but that was right after the Paris Terror attack. Actually, no, I'm misremembering, they actually didn't have a no re-rentry policy, jthey just had lots of extra security/bag searches etc. It took an abnormally long time to get into the game than it did the other games I went to in Raleigh earlier in the year. It makes me wonder if State is considering implementing a similar policy about no re-entry. Seems all that extra security was a big hassle for everyone, including the fans. But I guarentee if you ask the fans, they'll say they would rather put up with the extra security, vs. no re-entry and no bags in.

B.) Someone mentioned up thread that the new suites at WW will have alcohol sales. This is also the case at ECU. I have a close friend that has club level season tickets, and I usually go to a high-profile game or two with him every year. They too, sell alcohol all game long in their club level. Just wondering if anyone knows, how do the state sponsored schools skirt this rule? It seems very elitist to be able to skirt a policy against alcohol sales at state funded colleges, unless you're willing to fork over a little more dough for the club level seating, and then it's somehow not against the rules anymore?

Lefthook

jimsumner
08-03-2016, 01:45 PM
Hey Devildeac,

Am I going to be able to get my new stainless steel sternum through the medical detectors?

That could get interesting. "Sir, you'll have to take off your chest."

77devil
08-03-2016, 01:47 PM
Hey Devildeac,

Am I going to be able to get my new stainless steel sternum through the medical detectors?

That could get interesting. "Sir, you'll have to take off your chest."

Be prepared for the pat down.

duke79
08-03-2016, 02:54 PM
The terrorists win again.

Yea, this is the most infuriating part of the whole "security crackdown" in our society for me. Essentially, .00001% of the population (those people who might hijack or blow up planes or fly them into building or detonate bombs in crowded public areas or cause other harm to innocent people) can inconvenience, in a major way, the 99.9999% of people who are basically law-abiding and decent citizens. Just look at the TSA lines at commercial airports and the ridiculous rules at sporting stadiums (that Duke has now adopted). I'm not sure what better solution there is...other than perhaps we need to do a better job at identifying a head of time those people who are the threat and take unilateral action against them. I know....easier said than done and hard to do legally, at least in this country.

duke79
08-03-2016, 03:00 PM

This is VERY true! I agree completely. Didn't the TSA itself do a study where they tried to get guns and knives and other dangerous objects through airport security at a variety of commercial airports and they were 90% successful at evading the security? I believe that is the case. I've always been skeptical at how much good many of the security measures at the airport and other public places really do. It seems like the terrorists and others who want to cause mass harm just figure out other ways to wreak havoc, like the guy in Nice who rented a truck and drove it down a crowded pier, killing 84 people. How do you prevent something like that in the future?

BLPOG
08-03-2016, 03:43 PM
This is VERY true! I agree completely. Didn't the TSA itself do a study where they tried to get guns and knives and other dangerous objects through airport security at a variety of commercial airports and they were 90% successful at evading the security? I believe that is the case. I've always been skeptical at how much good many of the security measures at the airport and other public places really do. It seems like the terrorists and others who want to cause mass harm just figure out other ways to wreak havoc, like the guy in Nice who rented a truck and drove it down a crowded pier, killing 84 people. How do you prevent something like that in the future?

The detection failure rate was 95%. I would say more but I don't trust myself to comment further without censure by the mods for crossing into political territory, or at least heavy redaction by the language filter.

J.Blink
08-03-2016, 05:04 PM
I can't believe what I am reading in this thread. College campuses and sporting events have been prime targets for terrorists.

Really? Such as?

rasputin
08-03-2016, 05:13 PM
Really? Such as?

Well, I'd count the Boston Marathon, for one.

Not that I agree with the policy about bags and re-entry and such.

AustinDevil
08-03-2016, 05:14 PM
Just look at ... the ridiculous rules at sporting stadiums (that Duke has now adopted).

I agree with everything in your post except this excerpt. I go to quite a few sporting events, and I have never, ever, not once been subject to the combination of rules that Duke has now adopted. Duke's announcement makes a point of saying that metal detectors are in line with the ACC generally (and specifically mentions UNCheat and FSU on that point), but it is noticeably silent on the other new policies as being in line with anyone else.

J.Blink
08-03-2016, 05:18 PM
Well, I'd count the Boston Marathon, for one.

Not that I agree with the policy about bags and re-entry and such.

Boston marathon was the the only sporting event attack that I thought of, but I had taken the original post to mean college sporting events. The only college terrorist event that immediately came to mind was that nut who drove an SUV into the pit at UNC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_UNC_SUV_attack). Probably some I am missing, but I don't think the original statement was accurate!

ricks68
08-03-2016, 07:17 PM
Boston marathon was the the only sporting event attack that I thought of, but I had taken the original post to mean college sporting events. The only college terrorist event that immediately came to mind was that nut who drove an SUV into the pit at UNC (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_UNC_SUV_attack). Probably some I am missing, but I don't think the original statement was accurate!

But, as you stated in your post above, it was a college terrorist attack that was n-o-t associated with a sporting event.

ricks

Thurber Whyte
08-03-2016, 08:24 PM
Every year, the swag at the pregame party for Duke's bowl game includes a clear stadium bag. Its nice that Duke wants to take care of its fans when they go to any stadium other than Wallace Wade.

To increase security in a large crowd setting and provide a better entry and game experience for all guests, no bags or purses of any kind will be allowed to enter the stadium on game days with the following exceptions:

• Duke Stores merchandise bags with receipt for purchase...

Step 1: Go to the Duke Store before the game.
Step 2: Buy a 50¢ refrigerator magnet and ask for the largest bag they have.
Step 4: Fill bag with car keys, sunscreen, wallet, telephone, sunglasses, kleenex, camera, hat, gloves, gum, meds, hygiene products, pocket-sized umbrella, child care items, a Chihuahua, fire extinguisher, enema kit, astrolabe, jumper cables and a copy of the Physician’s Desk Reference.
Step 5: Proudly display these items together with the Duke Store receipt as you pass through security.
Step 6: Attach the magnet to the side of the metal detector once you are through.

CameronBornAndBred
08-03-2016, 08:44 PM
Every year, the swag at the pregame party for Duke's bowl game includes a clear stadium bag. Its nice that Duke wants to take care of its fans when they go to any stadium other than Wallace Wade.

Step 4: Fill bag with car keys, sunscreen, wallet, telephone, sunglasses, kleenex, camera, hat, gloves, gum, meds, hygiene products, pocket-sized umbrella, child care items, a Chihuahua, fire extinguisher, enema kit, astrolabe, jumper cables and a copy of the Physician’s Desk Reference.
Step 5: Proudly display these items together with the Duke Store receipt as you pass through security.
Step 6: Attach the magnet to the side of the metal detector once you are through.

You ever tried getting gum off of a chihuahua?!

devildeac
08-03-2016, 08:53 PM
So, they're worried about "terrorists" and I guess potentially long lines to enter WW but will be perfectly willing to take the time to have you open your Duke-purchased gear and then take additional time to inspect the receipt. Yea, I get it. Bastards.

What happened to Step 3? ;)

Will the Duke Store receipt suffice for "proof of purchase" for all the items you mentioned? IOW, will security (be smart enough to) pull you aside and verify each line item on your receipt "matches" all your "purchases" or do you think simply flashing the receipt will be sufficient to gain entry?

Good thoughts.

devildeac
08-03-2016, 08:55 PM

No, but I've seen plenty of chihuahuas wearing sunglasses :rolleyes: .

CathyCA
08-03-2016, 09:27 PM

LOL LOL LOL

My sides are hurting because I have laughed so hard.

Suppose I don't have a Chihuahua?

aimo
08-03-2016, 10:12 PM

FYI I bet a refrigerator magnet costs AT LEAST $5.

Thurber Whyte
08-03-2016, 11:15 PM

It is worse than that. The gum belongs to the chihuahua. You ever tried getting a chihuahua to spit out its gum?!

What happened to Step 3? ;)

Will the Duke Store receipt suffice for "proof of purchase" for all the items you mentioned? IOW, will security (be smart enough to) pull you aside and verify each line item on your receipt "matches" all your "purchases" or do you think simply flashing the receipt will be sufficient to gain entry?

Good thoughts.

Oops! I also left out:

Step 7: ??????
Step 8: Profit!

I assume that you can bring any non-dangerous items you want into the stadium (including the chihuahua provided that no one tries to take away its gum) as long as you are willing to carry/juggle them. The Duke Store receipt merely entitles you to bring the bag into the stadium. If the security person says otherwise just make a scene and start shouting "Hey! There's no need to get all Sam's Club on me, Bra!" Right now, I am working on another plan involving a Saint Bernard with a keg of brandy (Alexanders) around its neck and a vest that says "Service Dog" or is that a bridge too far?

On a serious note, I question how much aggravation this policy is actually going to save them. Duke fans will be grumbling about it all season and there will be constant drama at every gate during every game when visiting fans arrive and are told that they cannot bring purses or the types of bags that are allowed at every other venue into the stadium and that they now have to find a post office in order to mail them back to wherever their car is.

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-04-2016, 12:00 AM
Just hauled out my hunting vest. Pockets all over the dang thing. Places for everything I want to carry in. Why didn't I think of this before? Been lugging my purse to every game all these years. I guess now they'll have to outlaw pockets, bless their silly hearts. Strip poker anyone?

Love, Ima

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-04-2016, 12:40 AM
Just hauled out my hunting vest. Pockets all over the dang thing. Places for everything I want to carry in. Why didn't I think of this before? Been lugging my purse to every game all these years. I guess now they'll have to outlaw pockets, bless their silly hearts. Strip poker anyone?

Love, Ima
I'm going to do something similar.... it's available in blue.
http://www.travelsmith.com/women-27s-15-pocket-voyager-vest/823538

devildeac
08-04-2016, 07:12 AM
It is worse than that. The gum belongs to the chihuahua. You ever tried getting a chihuahua to spit out its gum?!

Oops! I also left out:

Step 7: ??????
Step 8: Profit!

I assume that you can bring any non-dangerous items you want into the stadium (including the chihuahua provided that no one tries to take away its gum) as long as you are willing to carry/juggle them. The Duke Store receipt merely entitles you to bring the bag into the stadium. If the security person says otherwise just make a scene and start shouting "Hey! There's no need to get all Sam's Club on me, Bra!" Right now, I am working on another plan involving a Saint Bernard with a keg of brandy (Alexanders) around its neck and a vest that says "Service Dog" or is that a bridge too far?

On a serious note, I question how much aggravation this policy is actually going to save them. Duke fans will be grumbling about it all season and there will be constant drama at every gate during every game when visiting fans arrive and are told that they cannot bring purses or the types of bags that are allowed at every other venue into the stadium and that they now have to find a post office in order to mail them back to wherever their car is.

Keg of brandy? We'll be in Section 19, Row JJ (see what I did there ;)), even # seats, near the aisle. There'll be an empty seat next to me. On both sides. And in front and in back, left unoccupied by the folks who couldn't get in to WW based on these fine (cough) new policies. I'll have a small flask on my lap and I'll be wearing my new 27 pocket cargo shorts so I can carry my sunscreen, sunglasses, keys, wallet and perhaps a few personal hygiene items that couldn't fit into my wife's 5x8x1 inch micro-purse. No gum. We don't own a chihuahua.

AustinDevil
08-04-2016, 07:33 AM

I continue to be interested in knowing whether anyone is aware of any other sporting venue or sporting event with this draconian a list of rules. The Super Bowl is a teeny bit larger terrorism target than is Duke v. N.C. Central, but they continue to allow bags.

Ima Facultiwyfe
08-04-2016, 09:53 AM
I'm going to do something similar... it's available in blue.
http://www.travelsmith.com/women-27s-15-pocket-voyager-vest/823538

OOOH! That's a better blue than mine. Guess I need a new one! Deac's cargo shorts idea is a must for the OP! Just leave it to creative Devils to make the best of things ---- every time! Gosh it's good to be one!
Love, Ima

CameronBornAndBred
08-04-2016, 10:07 AM
OOOH! That's a better blue than mine. Guess I need a new one! Deac's cargo shorts idea is a must for the OP! Just leave it to creative Devils to make the best of things ---- every time! Gosh it's good to be one!
Love, Ima

I clicked on that link, and now every site I go to is trying to sell me one. (But no pet ads.)
I hope at least the university has the foresight to place several signs in parking lots and along walking paths alerting the unaware that their bags will not be allowed in to the stadium.

budwom
08-04-2016, 10:12 AM
I'd recommend a coat like the one John Turturro is wearing in The Night Of (HBO). It's got enough pockets to tote anything you want.

aimo
08-04-2016, 10:15 AM
I'd recommend a coat like the one John Turturro is wearing in The Night Of (HBO). It's got enough pockets to tote anything you want.

You folks are forgetting that the first few games (at least) are going to be broiling hot. Cargo shorts, maybe, but not too many tank tops with pouches in the front.

weezie
08-04-2016, 10:20 AM
...Cargo shorts, maybe, but not too many tank tops with pouches in the front.

Well, thank God for that. Although the peasant skirt would be a good stand in. Breezier.

budwom
08-04-2016, 11:28 AM
You folks are forgetting that the first few games (at least) are going to be broiling hot. Cargo shorts, maybe, but not too many tank tops with pouches in the front.

Of all the things that I forget these days, the heat of Sept games in Wally Wade is assuredly not one of them. At least the NCCU game is at 6pm, not too worried about that one.
The Wake game at 3:30 the next weekend will be more challenging. I'll have the full Arab look on display...

CathyCA
08-04-2016, 11:53 AM
Well, thank God for that. Although the peasant skirt would be a good stand in. Breezier.

Yup. Just wear that peasant skirt over your shorts. When you walk through the gates of Wally Wade, you can take off the peasant skirt and toss it over your shoulder like it's a purse.

CameronBornAndBred
08-04-2016, 12:08 PM

I've been known to wear skirts...but I need more pockets. And lots more blue.

devil84
08-04-2016, 12:47 PM
I think I need to design a breezy peasant skirt that is worn over one's shorts. When removed, one can sit on it (those ridges in the GA bleachers are surprisingly uncomfortable by the third quarter), with the pockets becoming beverage/snack holders (filled only with the finest concessions -- we wouldn't want to smuggle in our own snacks and drinks! wink, wink). Other zipper and Velcro pockets can hold other essentials like sunscreen, keys, phones, sunglasses, and an umbrella. The waist and hem have some sort of ability (drawstring? Zipper? Magical device?) to convert it into a sack to hold the family's jackets and belongings otherwise carried/worn through the gates. An additional, attachable inner layer is waterproof, suitable for creating a dry-bag because the idiot in the row behind always spills drinks, or it can be used as a poncho if it rains. A third attachable layer is made of fleece for the cooler games, so you can sit on the outer layer and stay warm with the inner layer, either as a blanket or a poncho. It has additional pockets to hold gloves, hand warmers, hats, and anything else needed to keep warm (wink, wink).

It can also be worn into Cameron as a poncho, as I guess Cameron will also be subject to the no-bags rule.

devildeac
08-04-2016, 02:20 PM
Of all the things that I forget these days, the heat of Sept games in Wally Wade is assuredly not one of them. At least the NCCU game is at 6pm, not too worried about that one.
The Wake game at 3:30 the next weekend will be more challenging. I'll have the full Arab look on display...

Yea, I anticipate temps in the low 80s for the NCCU game with comparable humidity, so dew points in the lovely low to mid 70s. :rolleyes:

tux
08-04-2016, 08:53 PM
I continue to be interested in knowing whether anyone is aware of any other sporting venue or sporting event with this draconian a list of rules. The Super Bowl is a teeny bit larger terrorism target than is Duke v. N.C. Central, but they continue to allow bags.

That's the problem: These measures would do very little to stop someone (who was planning a major attack) from getting weapons into the stadium, because the stadium is wide open all week. I actually think this may be the first step (the prerequisite for the athletic department) to start selling beer at the games. What metal detectors achieve (I guess) is to reduce the number of people who could casually bring in a weapon of some sort -- perhaps not intending to use it -- but that would make a crowd of beer drinkers that much more dangerous. I think the halftime policy must be to avoid having to re-check everyone on the way back in. That part actually makes more sense to me than the decision to have these policies in the first place. Once you decide to do it, re-entry is a huge headache. Of course, tickets are still pretty cheap from the scalpers, so one could buy another ticket for the 2nd half...

Olympic Fan
08-04-2016, 09:00 PM

The only problem with your plan is the danger of violating North Carolina's HB2!

ricks68
08-04-2016, 09:11 PM
The only problem with your plan is the danger of violating North Carolina's HB2!

Gosh, I wish I could spork you for that one! ("Not that there is anything wrong with that.")

ricks

CameronBornAndBred
08-04-2016, 09:45 PM

Private school...I can pee anywhere I want! :cool:

Newton_14
08-04-2016, 10:24 PM

Why am I not shocked? ... at all... LOL

Yes, please more blue. Lots more blue... :)

weezie
08-04-2016, 10:25 PM

That is smashing! We need a whole section wearing these...in the correct blue of course.

Dr. Rosenrosen
08-04-2016, 10:35 PM
Who needs pockets when you can just stuff your sweater...

BigWayne
08-05-2016, 03:43 PM

Apparently, cargo shorts are a hot topic this week. (http://www.wsj.com/articles/what-happened-after-i-wrote-that-cargo-shorts-story-1470402723)

Reilly
08-09-2016, 08:08 PM
Apparently, cargo shorts are a hot topic this week. (http://www.wsj.com/articles/what-happened-after-i-wrote-that-cargo-shorts-story-1470402723)

In my mind, I judge people who wear cargo shorts very harshly. I shouldn't be judgmental at all -- but when it comes to cargo shorts, I can't turn it off.

Crocs are ok, as are socks with Crocs.

devildeac
08-09-2016, 08:59 PM
In my mind, I judge people who wear cargo shorts very harshly. I shouldn't be judgmental at all -- but when it comes to cargo shorts, I can't turn it off.

Your call: cargo shorts or Depends 6575

Crocs w/socks? :rolleyes:

I've got Mrs. dd on the look-out for some summer close-out specials on cargo shorts from LL Bean/Eddie Bauer/Lands End/REI. I'm proud of my legs. :o :p

weezie
08-09-2016, 09:02 PM
Ok, now we're veering off into 'too sexy' territory.
Time for you menfolk to stop ogling each others cargo shorts and legs and skirts.

Sox w/Crocs?! Holy moly. Not on Captain weezie's watch.:eek::eek::eek:

jacone21
08-09-2016, 10:50 PM
Clearly, the solution is combat britches. They're unisex and highly functional. Plus, with a camo ensemble, you may be able to slip out and back in at halftime without being noticed.

devildeac
08-09-2016, 10:53 PM
Clearly, the solution is combat britches. They're unisex and highly functional. Plus, with a camo ensemble, you may be able to slip out and back in at halftime without being noticed.

September games in WW are not conducive/attractive/alluring/amenable to wearing such attire. Perhaps October/November but not Saturdays in NC. Otherwise, good ideas. ;)

ricks68
08-10-2016, 12:51 AM
Your call: cargo shorts or Depends 6575

Crocs w/socks? :rolleyes:

I've got Mrs. dd on the look-out for some summer close-out specials on cargo shorts from LL Bean/Eddie Bauer/Lands End/REI. I'm proud of my legs. :o :p

I got some great cargo shorts at Old Navy 2 years ago. Wear them all the time. Also, great for when my wife doesn't want to carry a purse.

ricks

oldnavy
08-10-2016, 07:15 AM
September games in WW are not conducive/attractive/alluring/amenable to wearing such attire. Perhaps October/November but not Saturdays in NC. Otherwise, good ideas. ;)

I have a couple of pairs of these that I made into cargo shorts by cutting them off just below the cargo pockets.... great for fishing. Mine are desert camo however so not as easy to blend in with the trees, but easy to get lost in the sand box...

oldnavy
08-10-2016, 07:17 AM
I got some great cargo shorts at Old Navy 2 years ago. Wear them all the time. Also, great for when my wife doesn't want to carry a purse.

ricks

Please do not send me requests for cargo shorts. I am not that Old Navy... however, I do have a surplus of cinder blocks that I would be willing to part with if you are interested.....

left_hook_lacey
08-10-2016, 07:25 AM

How can you be OK with Crocs with socks, but against Cargo shorts? Seems illogical. That's like saying you're an obsessed foodie, and your favorite dish is a twinkie.

devildeac
08-10-2016, 10:39 AM
Please do not send me requests for cargo shorts. I am not that Old Navy... however, I do have a surplus of cinder blocks that I would be willing to part with if you are interested....

Damn, I had my email order and credit card all ready to go...

devildeac
08-10-2016, 10:41 AM
How can you be OK with Crocs with socks, but against Cargo shorts? Seems illogical. That's like saying you're an obsessed foodie, and your favorite dish is a twinkie.

Hey, them there's fighting words about Twinkies. I like mine dipped/breaded and deep-fried, then covered with ice cream and fudge sauce. :o

Reilly
08-10-2016, 11:06 AM
How can you be OK with Crocs with socks, but against Cargo shorts? ...

I threw in my views of Crocs -- and Crocs with socks -- to show that I'm not an out-and-out fashion snob -- far from it. I guess I view 'appropriate' clothing as a continuum, from most appropriate/fashionable on the far left of the line ... to totally unacceptable on the far right. I'm willing to travel as far along the continuum to Crocs, and Crocs with socks (for the record, very low, running/compression socks), but I cannot travel all the way along the continuum to cargo shorts. I realize, of course, that this is subjective and others may re-arrange the fashion points on the continuum in a different order. And yet, there can be a consensus of generally-accepted good taste.

For me, wearing cargo shorts is akin to folks who root for Carolina b/c they say it's good for the conference: I just don't go there, and never will.

killerleft
08-10-2016, 11:13 AM
I threw in my views of Crocs -- and Crocs with socks -- to show that I'm not an out-and-out fashion snob -- far from it. I guess I view 'appropriate' clothing as a continuum, from most appropriate/fashionable on the far left of the line ... to totally unacceptable on the far right. I'm willing to travel as far along the continuum to Crocs, and Crocs with socks (for the record, very low, running/compression socks), but I cannot travel all the way along the continuum to cargo shorts. I realize, of course, that this is subjective and others may re-arrange the fashion points on the continuum in a different order. And yet, there can be a consensus of generally-accepted good taste.

For me, wearing cargo shorts is akin to folks who root for Carolina b/c they say it's good for the conference: I just don't go there, and never will.

One good thing about cargo pants is that you'd have a place to hide those ugly Crocs!:D

ricks68
08-10-2016, 11:13 AM

In Asheville, the "Cesspool of Sin", everything has a taste. It may not be good, but we have it--------and it is accepted.:rolleyes:

ricks

60sDukie
08-10-2016, 03:14 PM
http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28500&ATCLID=211113195

Just saw their new policy - they allow clear plastic bags and also re-entry.

aimo
08-10-2016, 03:25 PM
http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28500&ATCLID=211113195

Just saw their new policy - they allow clear plastic bags and also re-entry.

And they deal with WAY more people!

Pghdukie
08-10-2016, 04:00 PM
I'm going to use 1 of those huge top-hats. Add on a roped chin-strap. Walk thru security then take it off and use the hat as a bag filled with what ever I and mrs will need. It can also double as a beer/ice cooler.

sagegrouse
08-10-2016, 09:39 PM
Hey, them there's fighting words about Twinkies. I like mine dipped/breaded and deep-fried, then covered with ice cream and fudge sauce. :o

Seriously, all foodies know that "French toast" is called "pain perdu" in French, which means "lost bread." It is a technique to use bread that has gone stale (French bread lasts only a day or so). In my recent grandchildren trip to France, the hotel had French toast available every morning, made mostly from yesterday's uneaten baguettes. But a couple of days, the "pain perdu" featured left-over croissants and there was plenty of butter and Quebec maple syrup to put on top. -- Yummm, and definitely sinful.

devildeac
08-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Seriously, all foodies know that "French toast" is called "pain perdu" in French, which means "lost bread." It is a technique to use bread that has gone stale (French bread lasts only a day or so). In my recent grandchildren trip to France, the hotel had French toast available every morning, made mostly from yesterday's uneaten baguettes. But a couple of days, the "pain perdu" featured left-over croissants and there was plenty of butter and Quebec maple syrup to put on top. -- Yummm, and definitely sinful.

And, on a related note (sort of), today's You Might Be a Redneck If...

...your favorite food is only available at state fairs.

:o

And, griddling back on topic, our chefs make some damn fine French Toast on the mornings when we have the dreaded noon kick-off time. I honestly don't mind that because then we can share breakfast stouts among our tailgate tasting group ;) .

budwom
08-11-2016, 08:07 AM

Quebec maple syrup? Blasphemy!

sagegrouse
08-11-2016, 08:41 AM
Quebec maple syrup? Blasphemy!

Agreed, but are you surprised that les Francais prefer les Quebecois to les residents de Mont Vert?

Kindly,
Sage
'It's actually the first time I have seen maple syrup in France'

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
08-11-2016, 09:42 AM
In Asheville, the "Cesspool of Sin", everything has a taste. It may not be good, but we have it--------and it is accepted.:rolleyes:

ricks

Is this a bad moment to mention my weakness for manpris? You know, capris for men?

budwom
08-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Agreed, but are you surprised that les Francais prefer les Quebecois to les residents de Mont Vert?

Kindly,
Sage
'It's actually the first time I have seen maple syrup in France'

Naw, the French speakers need their solidarity...plus the Quebec syrup cartel (they produce 80% of the world's maple syrup) keeps prices
high for everyone, even though once in a while someone steals six million pounds (yes) of syrup from them and they don't even notice (this is true).
D'oh!

aimo
08-11-2016, 03:41 PM
FYI - Wake Forest has announced that they will be selling alcohol stadium wide this football season, and are considering adding it for other sports.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081116aaa.html

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-11-2016, 04:12 PM
The travel vest I ordered for the football season arrived this morning. The variety and number of pockets should be sufficient for those items I need/want to have with me during the game. Going through the security line will now be easy as it can be.

AustinDevil
08-11-2016, 05:51 PM
FYI - Wake Forest has announced that they will be selling alcohol stadium wide this football season, and are considering adding it for other sports.

http://www.wakeforestsports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081116aaa.html

IM(H)O, this news deserves its own thread.

devildeac
08-12-2016, 03:21 PM
The new VT policy:

http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Virginia-Tech-changes-Lane-Stadiums-prohibited-items-list-adds-most-bags-389750402.html

Nothing in the article about a re-entry policy. At least they have enough sense to allow clear bags.

dpslaw
08-12-2016, 05:20 PM
The new VT policy:

http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Virginia-Tech-changes-Lane-Stadiums-prohibited-items-list-adds-most-bags-389750402.html

Nothing in the article about a re-entry policy. At least they have enough sense to allow clear bags.

And fans with prohibited bags merely get a warning for the first three games.

Indoor66
08-12-2016, 06:35 PM
And fans with prohibited bags merely get a warning for the first three games.

What then? A firing squad? 😈😎

OldPhiKap
08-12-2016, 06:40 PM
What then? A firing squad? 😈😎

No, they make you watch the whole season.

devildeac
08-12-2016, 11:00 PM
No, they make you watch the whole season.

He was referring to VT football, not BC football. ;)

CameronBornAndBred
08-20-2016, 05:36 PM
So I'm watching the Panthers-Titans game, and there is a game delay due to lightning. Of course, everyone has been cleared out of their seats. If such a delay were to happen during a game in Wallace Wade (I've seen this happen at ECU once.), where do they put everyone? Unlike other stadiums, there is no cover at Duke, at least not for all of the 30,000 that will of course be sitting in their seats at kickoff. Does Duke kick everyone out and tell them don't come back?

DU82
08-20-2016, 08:06 PM
So I'm watching the Panthers-Titans game, and there is a game delay due to lightning. Of course, everyone has been cleared out of their seats. If such a delay were to happen during a game in Wallace Wade (I've seen this happen at ECU once.), where do they put everyone? Unlike other stadiums, there is no cover at Duke, at least not for all of the 30,000 that will of course be sitting in their seats at kickoff. Does Duke kick everyone out and tell them don't come back?

It happened two years ago at Georgia Tech. They do not allow re-entry. Long rain/lightning delay, they allowed people to exit the stadium and go to their vehicles and return when it was safe. (Most of the Duke fans went under the old grandstand...it was tight.) So I'm sure there's a plan in place at WW in case of that type of emergency.

TruBlu
08-20-2016, 08:51 PM
It happened two years ago at Georgia Tech. They do not allow re-entry. Long rain/lightning delay, they allowed people to exit the stadium and go to their vehicles and return when it was safe. (Most of the Duke fans went under the old grandstand...it was tight.) So I'm sure there's a plan in place at WW in case of that type of emergency.

I was at the Ga Tech game with my son. Since they announced the approaching storm in plenty of time, we made the short walk to The Varsity, had some chili cheese dogs and watched other games on their TV's til the storm passed.

I would hope that at WW some close by buildings would be opened (Card Gym, etc.) for the public since some of the parking lots are remote and there are no grandstands or greasy hot dog stands nearby.

devildeac
08-20-2016, 11:12 PM

I was at the Ga Tech game with my son. Since they announced the approaching storm in plenty of time, we made the short walk to The Varsity, had some chili cheese dogs and watched other games on their TV's til the storm passed.

I would hope that at WW some close by buildings would be opened (Card Gym, etc.) for the public since some of the parking lots are remote and there are no grandstands or greasy hot dog stands nearby.

Just remember: no re-entry :rolleyes::mad:

OldPhiKap
08-20-2016, 11:25 PM
Just remember: no re-entry :rolleyes::mad:

I've never worn s peasant skirt, so at the risk of asking a dumb question -- are they lightning-resistant?

devildeac
08-20-2016, 11:29 PM
I've never worn s peasant skirt, so at the risk of asking a dumb question -- are they lightning-resistant?

I haven't either. I prefer the (sometimes) unfashionable cargo shorts :rolleyes:. Maybe weezie could comment here...

Indoor66
08-21-2016, 07:25 AM

You mean the Dope shop closed? :confused::cool:

budwom
08-21-2016, 08:28 AM
it is an established fact that evil doers hate lightning, so no problems, re-entry it is!

UncleBill
08-22-2016, 03:36 PM
I may have to wear a kilt more often and pack the sporran. For some odd reason I have never been searched or patted down at concerts or other events with security while wearing a kilt.

CathyCA
08-23-2016, 12:20 PM
I may have to wear a kilt more often and pack the sporran. For some odd reason I have never been searched or patted down at concerts or other events with security while wearing a kilt.

Of course! We should do a Scottish themed tailgate in Blue Devil Alley. All the men will wear kilts! The women will carry in bagpipes filled with our wallets, sunglasses, sunscreen, checkbooks, personal hygiene items, chihuahuas, and flasks of Scotch.

No one at the security check will ever suspect a thing!

GGLC
08-23-2016, 12:24 PM
I can't believe they haven't changed this policy yet.

Combined with the lengthy walk to and from the parking lot that many of you have mentioned, it really seems like a recipe for an onerous, unhappy, and perhaps (depending on their health and hardiness in walking long distances on hot days) unsafe experience for many ticket holders who will then decide that watching future games from the comfort of their own living rooms is a better option. Extremely short-sighted and disproportionately burdensome.

DevilAlumna
08-25-2016, 01:59 AM
I think I need to design a breezy peasant skirt that is worn over one's shorts. When removed, one can sit on it (those ridges in the GA bleachers are surprisingly uncomfortable by the third quarter), with the pockets becoming beverage/snack holders (filled only with the finest concessions -- we wouldn't want to smuggle in our own snacks and drinks! wink, wink). Other zipper and Velcro pockets can hold other essentials like sunscreen, keys, phones, sunglasses, and an umbrella. The waist and hem have some sort of ability (drawstring? Zipper? Magical device?) to convert it into a sack to hold the family's jackets and belongings otherwise carried/worn through the gates. An additional, attachable inner layer is waterproof, suitable for creating a dry-bag because the idiot in the row behind always spills drinks, or it can be used as a poncho if it rains. A third attachable layer is made of fleece for the cooler games, so you can sit on the outer layer and stay warm with the inner layer, either as a blanket or a poncho. It has additional pockets to hold gloves, hand warmers, hats, and anything else needed to keep warm (wink, wink).

It can also be worn into Cameron as a poncho, as I guess Cameron will also be subject to the no-bags rule.

You should Kickstarter this!! Surely there's some Duke MakerSpace where students can help you design & fabricate prototypes.

weezie
08-25-2016, 01:06 PM
I think I need to design a breezy peasant skirt that is worn over one's shorts. When removed, one can sit on it (those ridges in the GA bleachers are surprisingly uncomfortable by the third quarter... Other zipper and Velcro pockets... and an umbrella... The waist and hem have some sort of ability (drawstring? Zipper? Magical device?) to convert it into a sack ... An additional, attachable inner layer is waterproof... can be used as a poncho if it rains. A third attachable layer is made of fleece for the cooler games, so you can sit on the outer layer and stay warm with the inner layer... It has additional pockets...It can also be worn into Cameron as a poncho...

Genius! Definitely Not Sexy, but genius. Make the men wear them so I can retain my allure. Add a tiny pocket so husband to carry my lipstick.

rasputin
08-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Genius! Definitely Not Sexy, but genius. Make the men wear them so I can retain my allure. Add a tiny pocket so husband to carry my lipstick.

Weezie, I can't spork you, but you're hilarious.

OldPhiKap
08-25-2016, 07:23 PM

Weezie, I can't spork you, but you're hilarious.

Got you covered.

budwom
08-26-2016, 08:43 AM
since we have four tickets for two guys and can therefore re-enter (la dee da!) i am informing Blue Devil Alley residents we are
going to plunder your unguarded foods and beverages at will....please have a nice selection! Some darkish beer would be especially appreciated

OZZIE4DUKE
08-26-2016, 04:14 PM
since we have four tickets for two guys and can therefore re-enter (la dee da!) i am informing Blue Devil Alley residents we are
going to plunder your unguarded foods and beverages at will...please have a nice selection! Some darkish beer would be especially appreciated
Budwom, you're always welcome at the TB'CC tent. TNT will be there to greet you at halftime; he never goes into the game, he watches on the satellite tv!

And for the ladies, get thee to Office Depot to get one of these "pencil holders" for $3.99 plus tax!

arnie
08-27-2016, 03:41 PM
Of course! We should do a Scottish themed tailgate in Blue Devil Alley. All the men will wear kilts! The women will carry in bagpipes filled with our wallets, sunglasses, sunscreen, checkbooks, personal hygiene items, chihuahuas, and flasks of Scotch.

No one at the security check will ever suspect a thing!

Know someone involved with security. You will be going through a scanner and anything it doesn't like, will be discarded or taken back to your vehicle. I was at the Army game last year's and based on that, I recommend getting to Wallace Wade earlier than normal. Billfold, seat, etc. ok but no bags at all.

Texas makes $$$$$$ off beer sales, Duke obviously knows that, and matter of time before we sell overpriced beer.

ricks68
08-27-2016, 08:18 PM
Know someone involved with security. You will be going through a scanner and anything it doesn't like, will be discarded or taken back to your vehicle. I was at the Army game last year's and based on that, I recommend getting to Wallace Wade earlier than normal. Billfold, seat, etc. ok but no bags at all.

Texas makes $$$$$$ off beer sales, Duke obviously knows that, and matter of time before we sell overpriced beer.

Heck, just build a new Duke stadium in Asheville and get a much better wholesale price and a lot more variety!:p

ricks

budwom
08-28-2016, 01:48 PM
Budwom, you're always welcome at the TB'CC tent. TNT will be there to greet you at halftime; he never goes into the game, he watches on the satellite tv!

And for the ladies, get thee to Office Depot to get one of these "pencil holders" for $3.99 plus tax!

Thank you Ozzie, I will therefore plunder wisely!

OK, serious question: I know no re-entry is allowed...but let's say you do have an extra ticket to use (or happen to show up at
the start of the second half for some reason): will there actually be an open security checkpoint which will be open and
available at the start of the second half?

hautecurry
08-30-2016, 08:02 AM

Is this 2016 Wally Wade legal?

budwom
08-30-2016, 08:09 AM

depends upon the (strict) measurements Duke lists...something like 5x8 inches...might well be too large

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-30-2016, 10:13 AM

From the Football A-Z Game Day Guide:
Bags or purses of any kind (including but not limited to backpacks, duffel bags, tote bags, fanny packs, drawstring/cinch bags, messenger bags, plastic grocery bags, camera bags, binocular bags, etc.) are not permitted to enter Brooks Field at Wallace Wade Stadium on football game days.

AustinDevil
08-30-2016, 10:44 AM

So does Wake Forest, apparently.

devildeac
08-30-2016, 12:37 PM

Might be if you bought it at the Duke store, carried it into WW in a Duke store bag and had a Duke store receipt. Or wore it under your kilt :rolleyes: .

<sarcasm>

OldPhiKap
08-30-2016, 12:49 PM
"Hey, I've got a great idea!!!! Let's spend oodles of money to upgrade Wallace Wade, and then make it an inconvenient pain in the butt to attend a game!!!!"

Brilliant.

Lid
09-01-2016, 12:23 PM
I finally opened my tickets (I'm all for delayed gratification) and noticed that the information in the ticket notebook doesn't match the new game-day policies. Oops! That should make things fun. :rolleyes:

Also got the Iron Dukes email about new policies, which includes a list of approved items -- such as coats and rain gear. I sent this email:

Hi – I’d heard about the new bag policy, but now seeing this list of “approved” items, which includes things that I wouldn’t have thought needed to be listed, makes me wonder – are these the *only* approved items? Are we allowed to bring sunscreen, glasses cases, hats, etc? If we have an inhaler, does that make our bag count as a “medical” bag and if so, can we put our phone in it, or are we required to carry everything other than the inhaler in our hands for some reason? Are cargo shorts approved? Pockets in general?

Can we bring a plastic bag in our pockets and after we carry everything in by hand to prove our dexterity, can we put things in the bag, or is that prohibited?

I’ll be blunt, it’s a hard sell to tell my teenager that she has to come to games with us, when you can’t fit enough feminine hygiene products in the 8x5x1 clutch that apparently we’re supposed to have available at home. What are your suggestions for that? I’m sure whoever set up this policy discussed this exact issue, because it’s an obvious one for families. Are we supposed to buy Duke-branded tampons at Duke Stores and bring them in with a receipt? ;)

I want to be excited about this year, but honestly, this just makes it seem like Duke is trying hard to make the gameday experience difficult. We’ve been season ticket holders and Iron Dukes for several years now and I’m sad to see the team on such a wonderful trajectory, and the gameday experience going the opposite direction.

Sorry for venting, but if you guys are keeping track of suggestions/feedback, please add me to the list of people who don’t understand why Duke has adopted what appears to be one of the most, if not the most, restrictive policy in the ACC. Is Duke is at such increased risk relative to other schools that they have to go this far? Add in the long walks from the parking lot for non-Iron Dukes, and it’s no wonder the stadium is only full for the employee kickoff game and the Carolina game. It makes me sad to see the team and coaches doing such wonderful things, and at the same time, it becoming so difficult for fans to come enjoy the game.

I feel better, but won't by Saturday when I'm trying to figure out where to get enough pockets for my stuff. Meanwhile, I'm sure someone is getting right on the Duke tampons idea.

devildeac
09-01-2016, 12:55 PM
I finally opened my tickets (I'm all for delayed gratification) and noticed that the information in the ticket notebook doesn't match the new game-day policies. Oops! That should make things fun. :rolleyes:

Also got the Iron Dukes email about new policies, which includes a list of approved items -- such as coats and rain gear. I sent this email:

I feel better, but won't by Saturday when I'm trying to figure out where to get enough pockets for my stuff. Meanwhile, I'm sure someone is getting right on the Duke tampons idea.

When this short-sighted policy was published, our tent group compiled a list of our complaints/objections/comments, very similar to yours. Our response from Duke so far has been even quieter than "chirp, chirp.":rolleyes:

killerleft
09-01-2016, 01:02 PM

Thomas Paine is looking down from the History Cloud and nodding his head in agreement. But Duke just shrugs.

cbarry
09-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Just found out about this policy... (and almost missed this thread-- silly me- looking for a thread titled "New Wallace Wade Entry Policy" or something like that).

We are going to the game Saturday, but unless they change this ridiculous policy, it will be my last at Wally Wade. I don't wait in lines well. Duke quotes up to 90 minute waits to get in to the stadium.... That is crazy. I have a feeling the waits will be much shorter, as people skip going to the stadium due to this new screwball policy.

As a previous poster wrote... The terrorists have won.

Again, as others have states, these new rules will do NOTHING to stop someone who wants to do harm, and only serve to inconvenience rule-abiding fans. A lose-lose proposition. Come on, Duke,... you're better than this! I know it's a pipe dream, but Duke needs to do a complete 180 and abolish any sort of bag screening, metal detectors, etc outside the gates of the stadium. Just check tickets-- THAT'S ALL. I'm willing to take my chances being at a Duke game with people being allowed to bring in bags (unsearched), and no metal detector, in exchange for being able to walk into the stadium with a (non-Duke) bag (with no receipt), and no line to get into the stadium.

aimo
09-01-2016, 05:43 PM
"Are we supposed to buy Duke-branded tampons at Duke Stores and bring them in with a receipt? "

I plan to walk in with one stuck up each nostril. And go through a line with a male screener.

OZ
09-01-2016, 05:50 PM
"Are we supposed to buy Duke-branded tampons at Duke Stores and bring them in with a receipt? "

I plan to walk in with one stuck up each nostril. And go through a line with a male screener.

Geeezzzz! I just decided to stay at home.

devildeac
09-01-2016, 06:18 PM

Epistaxis that bad?

;):rolleyes::o

nyesq83
09-01-2016, 09:56 PM
"Special accommodations are in place at the Bostock Gate for guests wishing to visit the Johnson Family Team Store after entering the stadium and for access to lactation room accommodations."

No comment necessary.

[Redacted text]

oldnavy
09-02-2016, 10:04 AM
"Special accommodations are in place at the Bostock Gate for guests wishing to visit the Johnson Family Team Store after entering the stadium and for access to lactation room accommodations."

No comment necessary.

I guarantee you there are more employees, students and others at Duke that are more fearful of anti-abortionists, pro segregated bathroomites or other "right-wing extremists" than any other type of evildoer.

There is that segment of our society that is perpetually afraid and or offended. The problem isn't assauging the fears, it's the completely nonsensical policies that knee jerk reactionist put into place that only inconvienance the rule keepers and do nothing to stop the rule breakers.

Wallace Wade Stadium will be no safer this year than it has been since its construction. The only difference is, someone somewhere feels like they have done something to make it safer, and that's really what matters these days.... feelings... cue Babs!!

devildeac
09-02-2016, 10:22 AM
There is that segment of our society that is perpetually afraid and or offended. The problem isn't assauging the fears, it's the completely nonsensical policies that knee jerk reactionist put into place that only inconvienance the rule keepers and do nothing to stop the rule breakers.

Wallace Wade Stadium will be no safer this year than it has been since its construction. The only difference is, someone somewhere feels like they have done something to make it safer, and that's really what matters these days... feelings... cue Babs!!

Also posted in Duke-NCCU game thread:

"Just talked to one of my partners who attended the NCSU vs Bill&Mary game last PM. Metal detectors are wands, re-entry is allowed and the Wolfpack Club mailed all members a medium-large clear plastic with which they can carry their (approved) stuff into Carter-Finley.

Conclusion: Duke's policy really sucks."

Can I submit my self-plagiarized post to unc for grad skool credit? :rolleyes: :o

Merlindevildog91
09-03-2016, 10:17 AM
I am wearing a hunting vest. If you come by the TBCC tent, I will be easy to spot, resplendent in blaze orange shoulder pads. Please come by and say hello.

I am thinking strongly about placing tampons in the shot shell elastic bands.

The Reverend Lawgrad, my better half, is extremely amused.

Newton_14
09-03-2016, 11:58 PM
Well, I did get to catch the game with Bob Green and Devildeac and their families, so that part was great! Really enjoyed cheering alongside those guys!

But man it was bad. Lots to report here and it may be choppy so bear with me. I had planned to purchase a ticket at the ticket office at the game. Got there at 5:30 and walked down to the West Gate in between the Track and the intramural fields. When I got down there, I saw several Metal Detectors with no lines at all! All the worry was for nothing I thought. I will walk straight in, less than 30 seconds, easy! Except Duke did not have the normal ticket booth at West Entrance. No more. So I have to walk all the way back up to the track, and walk between the track and the Lacrosse/Soccer Field. About halfway down I see a line of people that was 100+ deep easy. Will Call I thought? Nope! It was a line of a 100+ very pi**ed off people furious that they were not allowed in with their purses/bags/backpacks. So this line was to Check these Items in for storage and get them back after the game. Yikes were these people mad. I turn the corner to the concourse between Cameron and WW, looking for the Ticket Office. The Will Call line is ridiculously long as well with about 5 lines, and try as I may, I cannot maneuver close enough to see if any of those lines are for purchasing tickets or not.

Turn around and see a guy holding tickets in the air. I get a premium ticket for $10! Great! But then I see the lines at the 6 or so Metal Detectors that are moving painfully slow. I get in the shortest line I see and the wait begins. It's 5:50 by then and I resign myself to missing the kickoff. I briefly think about hoofing it back around to the West Gate where there are no lines but decide against that.

It took seemingly forever but I finally got in and somehow didn't miss the kickoff. There was 1 Metal Detector line dedicated to families with small toddlers that were allowed to carry bags in but they had to be thoroughly checked first so that line was a bear and again, lots and lots and lots of very irate people. Complaints were heard loud and clear all about.

I saw one lady and her teenage daughter who were so mad at not being allowed to carry in their purses they chose to leave. The mom was determined to go give some poor Security or Duke person a piece of her mind, her daughter was practically begging her not too, but mom was on a mission. I pity the fool that bore the brunt of that butt chewing. It could not have been pretty...

DId I feel safer? Nope. Do I think Duke way overrotated on this? Yep. The part about getting into the stadium will improve game over game as people learn the rules and figure out there are lots of metal detectors at various gates that have little to no lines vs everyone trying to cram in through the entrances in between Cameron and WW.

The upgrades to WW look great, the last of the 1920's restroom facilities are now gone, so that part is really good. And in other news... that freshman QB looks pretty darn good right now! :)

So there you have it. I'm interested to hear the experiences of others that were there to witness the first game with the draconian rules....

DU82
09-04-2016, 12:27 AM
Well, I did get to catch the game with Bob Green and Devildeac and their families, so that part was great! Really enjoyed cheering alongside those guys!

But man it was bad. Lots to report here and it may be choppy so bear with me. I had planned to purchase a ticket at the ticket office at the game. Got there at 5:30 and walked down to the West Gate in between the Track and the intramural fields. When I got down there, I saw several Metal Detectors with no lines at all! All the worry was for nothing I thought. I will walk straight in, less than 30 seconds, easy! Except Duke did not have the normal ticket booth at West Entrance. No more. So I have to walk all the way back up to the track, and walk between the track and the Lacrosse/Soccer Field. About halfway down I see a line of people that was 100+ deep easy. Will Call I thought? Nope! It was a line of a 100+ very pi**ed off people furious that they were not allowed in with their purses/bags/backpacks. So this line was to Check these Items in for storage and get them back after the game. Yikes were these people mad. I turn the corner to the concourse between Cameron and WW, looking for the Ticket Office. The Will Call line is ridiculously long as well with about 5 lines, and try as I may, I cannot maneuver close enough to see if any of those lines are for purchasing tickets or not.

Turn around and see a guy holding tickets in the air. I get a premium ticket for $10! Great! But then I see the lines at the 6 or so Metal Detectors that are moving painfully slow. I get in the shortest line I see and the wait begins. It's 5:50 by then and I resign myself to missing the kickoff. I briefly think about hoofing it back around to the West Gate where there are no lines but decide against that.

It took seemingly forever but I finally got in and somehow didn't miss the kickoff. There was 1 Metal Detector line dedicated to families with small toddlers that were allowed to carry bags in but they had to be thoroughly checked first so that line was a bear and again, lots and lots and lots of very irate people. Complaints were heard loud and clear all about.

I saw one lady and her teenage daughter who were so mad at not being allowed to carry in their purses they chose to leave. The mom was determined to go give some poor Security or Duke person a piece of her mind, her daughter was practically begging her not too, but mom was on a mission. I pity the fool that bore the brunt of that butt chewing. It could not have been pretty...

DId I feel safer? Nope. Do I think Duke way overrotated on this? Yep. The part about getting into the stadium will improve game over game as people learn the rules and figure out there are lots of metal detectors at various gates that have little to no lines vs everyone trying to cram in through the entrances in between Cameron and WW.

The upgrades to WW look great, the last of the 1920's restroom facilities are now gone, so that part is really good. And in other news... that freshman QB looks pretty darn good right now! :)

So there you have it. I'm interested to hear the experiences of others that were there to witness the first game with the draconian rules...

The long walk from the north gate to the west gate will be resolved once the stairs on the east side of the soccer stadium are reopened (we got caught there, too.) I saw a ticket booth at the west gate, but it did say "media will call". They didn't sell any tickets there? Wow. They didn't have enough ticket scanners at the west gate where we went in, so the person tore our ticket just like the good old days. (The electronics are a work in progress. They couldn't accept the Duke card for students, and besides the ticket scanners, the wi-fi was terrible.)

While I'm not happy with the change in security, it's not like it wasn't advertised (I think I received four emails in the last week), so I can't really feel too sorry for those that didn't check/ignored them. Then again, I don't normally carry a purse anywhere. (My Chick-Fil-A Bowl seat cushion, given to me by the Iron Dukes, has a couple of pockets, and carried my two rain ponchos and towel in nicely.)

I think the biggest issue inside the stadium was the lack of concourse lighting on the west side. Under the tower, it wasn't bright (the "ceiling" was plastic film, so not finished yet), but you could see things. North of the tower, there were no lights, and I almost tripped over the temporary safety curb that covered some utility cables. It appeared that they brought some temporary lights in for the east side, we need some on the west.

OZ
09-04-2016, 01:52 AM
I entered through the new East gate with no problem. That area has been totally reconstructed and landscaped. It really looked good coming down the steps with the new tower area in the background. All concession areas there were the same temporary tents and food trucks. The three new light towers totally lit up this area. I never really thought about it until I read the above comment, but they did tear our tickets too. ALL attendants were EXTREMELY courteous and helpful.
We had some friends who came in the West side... again no problem at all.
However, we had a couple of friends, who decided to enter from the North side, so they could see the new improvements to Cameron and the plaza area out front. They explained, that due to the crush of students, the North side was a chaotic mess. The new landscaping beside Cameron was taking a beating. They were a bit surprised by the steep steps down to the new gate.
The West side was poorly lit as was explained above. Under the new tower area, it was dark and unfinished. When leaving several people, including my friend tripped over that dang power line covering. Wheelchairs were having a difficult time negotiating it.
Someone posted that it would all be finished by game time. I suspect it was not this game to which they were referring. There is still much to be done (at least I hope so).
The first half was great. The second half was good and bad... good that so many played... bad that so many played poorly.
I don't suppose they were thrilled about it, but the students being seated in the end zone - along with the band - looked good, in that the stands were not empty. And we could actually hear and enjoy the band from our seats high up on the West side.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-04-2016, 12:01 PM
On the way back to my seat at halftime I found Jack Winters standing at the top of the stairway down my aisle. I had a 15 minute conversation with him about the no re-entry policy and handbags.

First the good news: Ladies will be able to carry their regular purses into Cameron Indoor Stadium for basketball games. Fewer people attending (9,514, or whatever the number is) and more entrances allow for this to happen in a 30 minute period when most people are entering CIS.

Now the bad news: current "no re-entry and no bag policies" are NOT going to change. The security professionals, whoever they are, say re-entry is the most dangerous time when someone who wants to do harm can get their materials back into the stadium. I guess they can reconnoiter the facilities when entering the first time and can figure out the easiest way to get contraband in the second. I don't buy in but that's what Jack says. And with the limited number of entrances (3) into WW, they can't have enough personnel to search thousands of bags in a timely fashion before the game. At Cameron, with fewer people and more entrances, the situation is different.

He said only 3 ACC schools allow reentry - NC State (as devildeac reported), Wake Forest and Clemson. But they have way different logistical situations. (Yeah, waaaaaaaaaaaay more fans in the case of State and Clemson, not so WF). He said they have far more entrances to have the personnel to do the checking.

I told him the current policies are overkill. And he retorted, "If we didn't make our best effort to keep people safe, what would people say if there was an attack/incident and patrons were killed?" No real answer to that, is there... F-wanker-ing terrorists.

Jack did tell me if I wanted a refund on my season ticket purchase, call his office on Tuesday morning and it will be arranged. I declined his offer, but told him others won't. He said they may lose a few current fans, but they will be replaced by new fans. (Wrong attitude, Jack. Just wrong.)

So that's the way it is. September, 2016. Accept it or don't attend. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/14.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

BandAlum83
09-04-2016, 12:17 PM
I entered through the new East gate with no problem. That area has been totally reconstructed and landscaped. It really looked good coming down the steps with the new tower area in the background. All concession areas there were the same temporary tents and food trucks. The three new light towers totally lit up this area. I never really thought about it until I read the above comment, but they did tear our tickets too. ALL attendants were EXTREMELY courteous and helpful.
We had some friends who came in the West side... again no problem at all.
However, we had a couple of friends, who decided to enter from the North side, so they could see the new improvements to Cameron and the plaza area out front. They explained, that due to the crush of students, the North side was a chaotic mess. The new landscaping beside Cameron was taking a beating. They were a bit surprised by the steep steps down to the new gate.
The West side was poorly lit as was explained above. Under the new tower area, it was dark and unfinished. When leaving several people, including my friend tripped over that dang power line covering. Wheelchairs were having a difficult time negotiating it.
Someone posted that it would all be finished by game time. I suspect it was not this game to which they were referring. There is still much to be done (at least I hope so).
The first half was great. The second half was good and bad... good that so many played... bad that so many played poorly.
I don't suppose they were thrilled about it, but the students being seated in the end zone - along with the band - looked good, in that the stands were not empty. And we could actually hear and enjoy the band from our seats high up on the West side.

That puts a smile on my face!

budwom
09-04-2016, 12:46 PM
On the way back to my seat at halftime I found Jack Winters standing at the top of the stairway down my aisle. I had a 15 minute conversation with him about the no re-entry policy and handbags.

First the good news: Ladies will be able to carry their regular purses into Cameron Indoor Stadium for basketball games. Fewer people attending (9,514, or whatever the number is) and more entrances allow for this to happen in a 30 minute period when most people are entering CIS.

Now the bad news: current "no re-entry and no bag policies" are NOT going to change. The security professionals, whoever they are, say re-entry is the most dangerous time when someone who wants to do harm can get their materials back into the stadium. I guess they can reconnoiter the facilities when entering the first time and can figure out the easiest way to get contraband in the second. I don't buy in but that's what Jack says. And with the limited number of entrances (3) into WW, they can't have enough personnel to search thousands of bags in a timely fashion before the game. At Cameron, with fewer people and more entrances, the situation is different.

He said only 3 ACC schools allow reentry - NC State (as devildeac reported), Wake Forest and Clemson. But they have way different logistical situations. (Yeah, waaaaaaaaaaaay more fans in the case of State and Clemson, not so WF). He said they have far more entrances to have the personnel to do the checking.

I told him the current policies are overkill. And he retorted, "If we didn't make our best effort to keep people safe, what would people say if there was an attack/incident and patrons were killed?" No real answer to that, is there... F-wanker-ing terrorists.

Jack did tell me if I wanted a refund on my season ticket purchase, call his office on Tuesday morning and it will be arranged. I declined his offer, but told him others won't. He said they may lose a few current fans, but they will be replaced by new fans. (Wrong attitude, Jack. Just wrong.)

So that's the way it is. September, 2016. Accept it or don't attend. http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/14.gifhttp://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

With all due respect to Jack Winters, the notion that re-entry is a time when evildoers can do their most harm is, to be nice, inane. How's this: evil doer never even
goes into the game and waits outside for the end of the game when 33,000 people are leaving? Or strikes in the parking lots or near the gates pre game? Ack, security is fine, I'm all for it,
but placebo security is just plain stoopid.

arnie
09-04-2016, 01:23 PM

I told him the current policies are overkill. And he retorted, "If we didn't make our best effort to keep people safe, what would people say if there was an attack/incident and patrons were killed?" No real answer to that, is there... F-wanker-ing terrorists ]

No, there is a real answer to that - don't allow fans at games (or don't play the games) then Duke would have made their "best effort".

hallcity
09-04-2016, 01:37 PM
With all due respect to Jack Winters, the notion that re-entry is a time when evildoers can do their most harm is, to be nice, inane. How's this: evil doer never even
goes into the game and waits outside for the end of the game when 33,000 people are leaving? Or strikes in the parking lots or near the gates pre game? Ack, security is fine, I'm all for it,
but placebo security is just plain stoopid.

My impression is that banning re-entry is mostly about saving money. They want to send almost all the security personnel home by the middle of the first quarter. The whole security effort just ensures a logjam of people trying to enter the game. That logjam is a more attractive target for terrorists than the more spread out fans in the stands. Remember Iraq? The terrorists kept exploding bombs outside security checkpoints.

oldnavy
09-04-2016, 01:43 PM
No, there is a real answer to that - don't allow fans at games (or don't play the games) then Duke would have made their "best effort".

Well he is correct on one point, if something happens people will blame the folks that "let" it happen.

The problem is, the measures "they" are implementing doing nothing to make anyone safer. NOTHING!! In fact the real evil doers are aided by these policies that create a false sense of security. Example, making school zones gun free... That's great for the mass murders that obey gun laws...

This new security policy at Duke is not unlike the law that requires showing your ID to pick up a controlled substance. It makes the idiot legislator that crafted the bill feel like he has made an useful impact on the drug diversion/abuse problem when in fact he has done nothing but create more useless record keeping requirements.

I had no issues at the game but I side with the folks that are against them.

Bob Green
09-04-2016, 01:48 PM
F-wanker-ing terrorists.

It makes one fondly remember the days when all we had to worry about were a bunch of commies.

budwom
09-04-2016, 02:12 PM

Thanks to ESPN's money, that's the way college football is moving anyway. TV gets to decide game times (no matter how hot it may be, how inconvenient the time...)...people realize they
can stay home, watch the game with illustrious clarity on a 55" screen and sip beer rather than spend a few hundred bucks on tickets for the family, inconvenient
parking, and horrifically bad food. Eventually I think we'll go the way of some old ethnic funerals I can remember in NYC when fake mourners were
hired to fill up the pews. Duke can toss around some bucks to have people populate the seats while the fans who care stay home.

Nonetheless I'll probably still keep coming because I can't help myself.

Papa John
09-04-2016, 02:15 PM

And poor logic... In the age of near-ubiquitous HDTV and with the emergence of 4K, HD streaming, VR, AR, and AI innovations, those fans departing due to the high level of inconvenience presented by these policies will likely not be readily replaced. But he can look on the bright side—with fewer fans attending games in person, Wally Wade will present far less attractive of a target to evildoers (so he's got that much going for him, I guess)...

[Budwom beat me to the punch... His point is right on target... Clearly, Winters failed logic...)

cbarry
09-04-2016, 03:46 PM
I really wish you (and others) would take him up on his offer. Maybe if enough people cancelled their season ticket packages, the powers that be would change these ridiculous and non-sensical rules. I know if I had season tickets, I would turn them in.

allenmurray
09-04-2016, 04:26 PM

So he basically admitted that even though it is a top 10 university Duke does not have the ability to do well what Wake Forest, Clemson,and NC State do consistently. Kind of a sad commentary on the state of the university.

There is a real answer - Bull. His answer is complete bull and he knows it. Security theatre is all it is.

This will likely be our last year. I don't like being treated like a fool, and it is clear they feel fans are easily replaceable.

OZ
09-04-2016, 05:24 PM
You know, I go to Duke home games because I love Duke and will support my team. I go because I love college football. I have been there in the heat of the sun, pouring rain and freezing cold. I have gone when I could have thrown a hand full of rocks and not hit anyone. I have gone when just being competitive in ONE game would have been reason enough to celebrate. I was going before the DBR comment section discovered there was Duke Football. And I will keep going, not because we have new facilities and are now winning; but because I love being there!
If I have to put up with the DREADED inconveniences of no guns, no alcohol, no tampons, no Viagra, no bags, no purses or no re-entry, so be it! I will pull myself together, gather all the strength I can muster, drive three hours, park in lot 5, walk five minutes to the East gate, trudge through those five minute metal detector lines, eat those awful Hog Heaven BBQ sandwiches, sit in my West side new blue uncomfortable seat, have my eardrums blasted by the new scoreboard and enjoy the he!! out of being there in person! My four HD tvs, ESPN3 and all the other impersonal gadgets just don't do it for me. So, to use an outdated phrase, just color me crazy; because, God willing, no matter the few inconveniences, I am going to be there!

jgehtland
09-04-2016, 05:47 PM
I just became a season ticket holder for DUKE football for the first time (Trinity '94, in case you were wondering). The security issues were a bit of a bummer, but not enough to make me regret my decision. I think I'm a season ticket holder for life now.

Anybody feel like cutting the administration a little slack on this one? The administration that until 8 years ago didn't give a crap about football at all? And whose worst crowd control issue was making sure the UNC and State fans didn't do anything untoward on their way off campus? Holy smokes.

It will get better. And in the meantime, these athletes, part of a renaissance of Duke football, deserve support. I'm thrilled to be there in the stands, security theater or no.

kfan
09-04-2016, 05:52 PM
I just became a season ticket holder for DUKE football for the first time (Trinity '94, in case you were wondering). The security issues were a bit of a bummer, but not enough to make me regret my decision. I think I'm a season ticket holder for life now.

Anybody feel like cutting the administration a little slack on this one? The administration that until 8 years ago didn't give a crap about football at all? And whose worst crowd control issue was making sure the UNC and State fans didn't do anything untoward on their way off campus? Holy smokes.

It will get better. And in the meantime, these athletes, part of a renaissance of Duke football, deserve support. I'm thrilled to be there in the stands, security theater or no.

I agree with you and Oz above. Cut is doing everything right. The only negative for the program is fan attendance. We need to support this team. The inconvenience of the new policy is minor.

60sDukie
09-04-2016, 06:09 PM
I too agree with Oz's post. We drive up from Greenville SC for each game. Never thought about going out at half-time - we don't tailgate as we don't really have a group and don't arrive early enough -so that restriction doesn't bother me. The purse restriction is a killer however. In any case we would never think of not going to games because of any restrictions. We so love Duke football. Duke football is all about the players, school pride, and love of the place.

CathyCA
09-04-2016, 06:13 PM
My observations from last night: If my items were already inside a plastic bag, the line would not slow down while I emptied my pockets to put my wallet, sunglasses, keys, phone, headphones, gum and camera in the clear plastic shoebox they provided at the security check gate.

At NCSU, they sell the clear plastic totes in the student store. They are $11.99 and they are allowed in Carter-Finley and NFL stadiums. http://www.redandwhiteshop.com/products/nc-state-wolfpack-black-open-stadium-tote

Duke could sell similar bags for twice that price. The fans would buy them, and the security lines would move faster because we wouldn't have to wait for everyone to empty their pockets in to the plastic boxes.

Also, one of the security guys told me that my camera lens was longer than 4 inches. Um, it's not even 3 inches long. I offered to let him measure it. He backed down, and I walked in to the stadium.

There was a lot of (unnecessary) time spent at the security gates yesterday transferring items from pockets to plastic boxes and back to pockets. The process could be more efficient utilizing approved plastic tote bags.

Finally, it would be nice for ticket holders to have Wifi in Wally Wade, but I imagine that's one of the finishing touches (like cup holders on the seats) that has yet to be installed.

Many thanks to those poor security workers who had to deal with so many frustrated fans yesterday evening. :)

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-04-2016, 06:20 PM
I was near the security point for the north gate yesterday. It was frustrating to see how long it took to be ready to start screening. People had followed the Devil Walk and filled the area. It appeared that the personnel hadn't set the codes so that the machines would be ready.

Today I watched a video of the Devil Walk which the Athletic Department posted. I realized that the screening machines had to be rolled out of the way for the Devil Walk. Until the players and our marching band could clear the area, the machines and barriers couldn't/wouldn't be moved. What seemed like painful slowness certainly reflected inexperience in setting up the check point.

We'll see how things run at the north gate next week.

The number of stairs and limited access to ramps to get to the stadium gate was unexpected.:confused:

Reilly
09-04-2016, 06:26 PM
From the accounts of the game I've read, none mention any fans getting killed in the stands last night. How long has it been since we could say that? The new procedures must be working.

CathyCA
09-04-2016, 06:47 PM
The number of stairs and limited access to ramps to get to the stadium gate was unexpected.:confused:

We counted. There were two sets of nine steps separated by a landing to get from the security check area to the Bostock Gates (ticket taking area). In the stadium renovation, Duke actually INSTALLED steps where a sloping walkway was formerly located. I had thought that the trend was toward accessibility, so the stairs were a surprise. The ramp entryways were not conveniently located, and the ramps were super long.

Stray Gator
09-04-2016, 07:00 PM
My observations from last night: If my items were already inside a plastic bag, the line would not slow down while I emptied my pockets to put my wallet, sunglasses, keys, phone, headphones, gum and camera in the clear plastic shoebox they provided at the security check gate.

At NCSU, they sell the clear plastic totes in the student store. They are $11.99 and they are allowed in Carter-Finley and NFL stadiums. http://www.redandwhiteshop.com/products/nc-state-wolfpack-black-open-stadium-tote

Duke could sell similar bags for twice that price. The fans would buy them, and the security lines would move faster because we wouldn't have to wait for everyone to empty their pockets in to the plastic boxes. . . .

We are longtime football season ticket holders and boosters at both Duke and Florida. UF not only allows people attending games at The Swamp to enter with clear plastic totes of a specified size, but this season is providing such totes embossed with Gator logos for free by mail to all boosters and season-ticket holders. These are similar to the clear plastic totes that were provided for free to attendees at the 2015 Final Four in Indianapolis, which my wife and daughter saved and used when attending Florida games last season.

I can understand the policy that prohibits re-entry into the stadium; and while I sympathize with those fans who like to exit for a halftime tailgate refreshment, the no re-entry rule appears to be widely enforced at other schools and seems to be a reasonable measure considering the costs of requiring security to conduct screening procedures on returning fans. But the no-bag policy being implemented by Duke -- ostensibly in the name of security -- is, in my opinion, unjustified and unnecessary overkill. Reasonable people can accept a bit of inconvenience if the precaution seems warranted. But I'm not aware of any other school that imposes such a drastic restriction. If sports venues that accommodate two or three times as many attendees as a Duke football game can manage security screening of fans carrying clear plastic bags about half the size of a common grocery tote, I see no sound reason why Duke football fans should be subjected to a more rigorous limitation.

kcduke75
09-04-2016, 07:01 PM
From the accounts of the game I've read, none mention any fans getting killed in the stands last night. How long has it been since we could say that? The new procedures must be working.

Love this back and forth.

I was there and I felt more put out than safe.

Seemed like CYA.

While I think it is probably appropriate and here to stay, I vote this as post of the year.

Reilly
09-04-2016, 09:35 PM
Like a lot folks on here (I imagine), I have lots of experience in the last 15 years coming/going into various facilities with various levels of security and required authentication. Many comical moments. Some absurd. 98% of the protective measures I've experienced would not stop 3 or 4 committed bad guys with bad intent and automatic weapons.

A modest proposal that our beloved, money-grubbing Duke just might go for: if you are an Iron Duke of certain longevity or giving level or some combo, you get an Iron Duke photo ID, and with that photo ID you can bring in as many tampons, opaque bags, and pocketed rain ponchos as you want, no questions asked.

diablesseblu
09-04-2016, 09:45 PM
Like a lot folks on here (I imagine), I have lots of experience in the last 15 years coming/going into various facilities with various levels of security and required authentication. Many comical moments. Some absurd. 98% of the protective measures I've experienced would not stop 3 or 4 committed bad guys with bad intent and automatic weapons.

A modest proposal that our beloved, money-grubbing Duke just might go for: if you are an Iron Duke of certain longevity or giving level or some combo, you get an Iron Duke photo ID, and with that photo ID you can bring in as many tampons, opaque bags, and pocketed rain ponchos as you want, no questions asked.

Please call Jack Winters on Tuesday AM with this suggestion. It's brilliant. This is no different from getting a fast pass through airport security...or the benefits from being the highest level of an airline's FF program.

Seriously, there should be some benefit for long term support and an acknowledgment of one's being a "safe" patron. My 84 yr.old aunt has had season tickets since 1957. It's getting increasingly difficult for her to traverse all of the "wickets" required to actually attend a game. If I were in her shoes, I'd be hard pressed to chose the current WW experience over my 55" top of the line TV.

DukieInKansas
09-04-2016, 10:55 PM

If the argument for no re-entry is that it would allow the "bad guys" reconnoiter the facilities and bring contraband in for the second half, what will prevent them from using the information from this game to get the contraband into the next game? Three entrances - then the contraband comes in for the fourth game since they have scouted out all three entrances.

CathyCA
09-04-2016, 11:03 PM
If the argument for no re-entry is that it would allow the "bad guys" reconnoiter the facilities and bring contraband in for the second half, what will prevent them from using the information from this game to get the contraband into the next game? Three entrances - then the contraband comes in for the fourth game since they have scouted out all three entrances.

There were more people in the parking lots during the second half of the game than there were in the stadium. The terrorists don't even need to come in to the stadium to do harm.

Why not install security checks at the perimeter of the campus?

-jk
09-04-2016, 11:14 PM

Saw this in another discussion: “BE QUIET OR THEY WILL HEAR YOU”

-jk

DukieInKansas
09-04-2016, 11:18 PM
Saw this in another discussion: “BE QUIET OR THEY WILL HEAR YOU”

-jk

I always knew they were watching.

sagegrouse
09-04-2016, 11:25 PM
I'll be happy to give a trip report after the Northwestern and then the Notre Dame game. We are planning a road trip to Chicago for nine days to see both games. It'll be interesting if the Duke tickets folk and the Iron Dukes office pass along the security procedures for Evanston and South Bend.

devildeac
09-04-2016, 11:57 PM
I'll be happy to give a trip report after the Northwestern and then the Notre Dame game. We are planning a road trip to Chicago for nine days to see both games. It'll be interesting if the Duke tickets folk and the Iron Dukes office pass along the security procedures for Evanston and South Bend.

I will try to meet up with Mr. Sage before/during/after both games and discuss those plans over some Chicago deep dish pies and pairing them with a few fine Goose Island/3 Floyds/Founders/Bells/Bare Hands adult beverages. ;)

Troublemaker
09-05-2016, 12:46 AM
So, when security situations like this pop up, there's always somebody who asks: "Why don't they just have us sign waivers? Duh!" And, due to my lack of legal training, I can never figure out whether that person is onto something or if he/she is a jackbutt.

Any lawyers want to weigh in? I guess the basic idea is that Duke would go back to previous security measures, and then anyone who purchases tickets would sign a waiver saying we won't sue Duke if there's a terrorist attack.

I would definitely sign such a document if it meant the return of bags and re-entry.

orrnot
09-05-2016, 02:25 AM
We counted. There were two sets of nine steps separated by a landing to get from the security check area to the Bostock Gates (ticket taking area). In the stadium renovation, Duke actually INSTALLED steps where a sloping walkway was formerly located. I had thought that the trend was toward accessibility, so the stairs were a surprise. The ramp entryways were not conveniently located, and the ramps were super long.

It may be that the former sloping walkway didn't meet modern codes, and that with new construction adherence to modern codes is mandatory. I think the standard is 1:12, meaning that for every foot of descent 12 feet of horizontal traverse are required. Of course, that still leaves plenty of room to disagree with the way it was all implemented there.

BigWayne
09-05-2016, 02:45 AM

I'm guessing this line of thinking was the result of hiring some consultant for security. The new policies seem like they are mostly in place to justify someone's compensation and cover somebody else's derriere.

indy1duke
09-05-2016, 07:45 AM
I can report that the same architect of Duke's new security procedures was working the same magic in Columbus for the Ohio State home opener against Bowling Green. The lines were very quick because there were no bags to check. People just used their pockets.

oldnavy
09-05-2016, 08:02 AM

Now you've done it, we will only be allowed to attend one game a year if they get wind of this....

sagegrouse
09-05-2016, 08:30 AM
I will try to meet up with Mr. Sage before/during/after both games and discuss those plans over some Chicago deep dish pies and pairing them with a few fine Goose Island/3 Floyds/Founders/Bells/Bare Hands adult beverages. ;)

I look forward to doing so. I will PM you with suggestions. Meanwhile, I will start investigating security procedures.

Bob Green
09-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Meanwhile, I will start investigating security procedures.

http://www.nusports.com/news/2016/8/22/RyanField_BagPolicy.aspx

Fans are encouraged to bring only necessary items to the stadium. Each ticketed attendee will be allowed to enter Ryan Field with one (1) clear plastic bag no larger than 12" x 6" x 12," or a one-gallon clear plastic bag. The only non-clear items that will be permitted are small clutch bags no larger than 4.5" x 6.5". An exception will be made for medically necessary items.

77devil
09-05-2016, 09:25 AM

Notre Dame stadium is a terrific venue. I hope you get better weather and a different outcome than we did in 2007.

DukieInKansas
09-05-2016, 09:32 AM
Now you've done it, we will only be allowed to attend one game a year if they get wind of this...

I knew someone would go there.

sagegrouse
09-05-2016, 10:32 AM
Notre Dame stadium is a terrific venue. I hope you get better weather and a different outcome than we did in 2007.

I look forward to visiting Notre Dame and South Bend for the first time. The last time I attended a Duke-Notre Dame game we won 37-13. That was a while ago.

Newton_14
09-05-2016, 10:44 AM
It may be that the former sloping walkway didn't meet modern codes, and that with new construction adherence to modern codes is mandatory. I think the standard is 1:12, meaning that for every foot of descent 12 feet of horizontal traverse are required. Of course, that still leaves plenty of room to disagree with the way it was all implemented there.
Not to be insensitive to anyone, but I thought the new steps actually add to the looks. It all looks really good in my opinion.

And for the record, my post was meant to provide a report of what the conditions were like at Game 1. I am still going to go to as many games as possible, no matter what. Once I got into the stadium, the inconveniences ended for me. I don't go out at halftime, as traversing the distance from WW down to I-85 on 751 where I have to park is not really an option know what I mean? :)

Speaking of which, I really really hope Duke does the right thing and uses the new parking deck at 751 as both public and Iron Duke Parking. If they don't, that is going to be a huge disappointment to me. I do appreciate the sidewalk running down 751, as it makes the hike easier. I still think the county/city should have widened that road and installed parking spots along the sides so people could safely park on the side of the street vs having to pull off into the grass.

I love the upgrades to WW and look forward to when all of the construction inside the stadium and in and around the areas of WW/Cameron are 100% finished. It's going to be very nice.

OZ
09-05-2016, 12:10 PM

The steps are a result of the new patio area outside of Cameron. The area was extended and leveled, thus creating the necessity for the steps. There was not enough room left for a gentle slope toward the ticket gate.The area looks good, but I am sure it is problematic for those who have difficulty negotiating steps.

jimsumner
09-05-2016, 01:02 PM
Now you've done it, we will only be allowed to attend one game a year if they get wind of this...

Or Duke could just play all 12 games on the road. That would solve lots of problems. :)

devildeac
09-05-2016, 01:04 PM

Bob Green is a be everywhere/do everything guy! Thank you!

devildeac
09-05-2016, 01:06 PM

And a policy that makes sense.

CathyCA
09-05-2016, 01:14 PM
The steps are a result of the new patio area outside of Cameron. The area was extended and leveled, thus creating the necessity for the steps. There was not enough room left for a gentle slope toward the ticket gate.The area looks good, but I am sure it is problematic for those who have difficulty negotiating steps.

Thanks for the explanation. It is not handicap-friendly, and the handicap ramp is located on the far side from where we enter, so it was confusing.

On a positive note, we have handrails for the steps in Wally Wade! Even though we have moved closer to the top, those handrails make navigating the steps to our seats much safer for my mom.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-05-2016, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the explanation. It is not handicap-friendly, and the handicap ramp is located on the far side from where we enter, so it was confusing.

On a positive note, we have handrails for the steps in Wally Wade! Even though we have moved closer to the top, those handrails make navigating the steps to our seats much safer for my mom.
I concur with your observations about the stairs. It was nice to have lighting under the hand rails when we were leaving the stadium under the cover of night.

One of the building inspectors* I talked with pointed out that those new stadium lights can change color. I'm looking forward to a fine light show in early November.

*Building inspectors and fire dept. employees were on hand because of the temporary cert. of occupancy for the tower.

aimo
09-05-2016, 06:46 PM

Yes, we noticed that the new entrance near the handicap parking is not handicap friendly. But neither are the shuttle buses they use for the handicap parking at the basketball games. Utter cluelessness.

While there was no need to try my tampon trick this weekend, I was a little miffed at the screener who let allowed a woman to bring in a cross-body bag that was specifically banned. When I questioned it, she told me it was allowed. I know if I tried it next week, it won't pass.

Richard Berg
09-06-2016, 12:59 AM
I don't think you're giving my tiger-repelling rock enough credit, here.