PDA

View Full Version : Men's Olympic Basketball Team Exhibition Games

Troublemaker
07-22-2016, 08:01 PM
First one is in an hour against Argentina. It'll be shown on NBATV or streamed on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/usabasketball/), apparently.

Not sure how many of us are going to watch, but just in case, here's a thread to comment.

Troublemaker
07-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Full exhibition schedule:

USA Basketball Showcase (all times ET)
July 22: USA vs. Argentina, 9 p.m. (T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas)
July 24: USA vs. China, 8 p.m. (Staples Center, Los Angeles)
July 26: USA vs. China, 10 p.m. (Oracle Arena, Oakland)
July 29: USA vs. Venezuela, 9 p.m. (United Center, Chicago)
Aug. 1: USA vs. Nigeria, 8 p.m. (Toyota Center, Houston)

subzero02
07-23-2016, 12:26 AM
Thanks for posting... I wish I had seen it a few hours ago. I will definitely watch the next game. Hopefully I will be able to find a replay of tonight's contest. (Edit: I see that the Facebook link takes you to a replay... nice.)

Troublemaker
07-23-2016, 02:41 AM
Thanks for posting... I wish I had seen it a few hours ago. I will definitely watch the next game. Hopefully I will be able to find a replay of tonight's contest. (Edit: I see that the Facebook link takes you to a replay... nice.)

No problem, subzero. Glad you are able to watch a replay.

Overall, a pretty good performance from USA in their first game together. The offense will improve as they progress through these exhibitions; today, the guys were chucking (and mostly missing) threes without hesitation. And yet USA still toyed with a proud Argentine team by creating turnovers and dominating the offensive glass.

Box score (html (http://www.usab.com/news-events/live-stats/2016/07/box-score-2016-mnt-showcase-game-usa-vs-argentina.aspx), pdf download (http://www.usab.com/basketball/media/pdfs/2016/mnt-stats/usa-argpdf.aspx))

Starters were Kyrie-Klay-Durant-Carmelo-Boogie

Carmelo is going to have a much bigger role than I anticipated. Coach K calls him the team's leader (along with Durant), and I expect him to continue to start.

Every player except Pigeon got time in the 1st quarter when the game was decided.

fraggler
07-23-2016, 08:37 PM
No problem, subzero. Glad you are able to watch a replay.

Overall, a pretty good performance from USA in their first game together. The offense will improve as they progress through these exhibitions; today, the guys were chucking (and mostly missing) threes without hesitation. And yet USA still toyed with a proud Argentine team by creating turnovers and dominating the offensive glass.

Box score (html (http://www.usab.com/news-events/live-stats/2016/07/box-score-2016-mnt-showcase-game-usa-vs-argentina.aspx), pdf download (http://www.usab.com/basketball/media/pdfs/2016/mnt-stats/usa-argpdf.aspx))

Starters were Kyrie-Klay-Durant-Carmelo-Boogie

Carmelo is going to have a much bigger role than I anticipated. Coach K calls him the team's leader (along with Durant), and I expect him to continue to start.

Every player except Pigeon got time in the 1st quarter when the game was decided.

Not surprised at all by Melo's play. Was surprised leading up to this that most were dismissing the role he would play (or even his inclusion). K loves him.

subzero02
07-24-2016, 04:05 PM
K loves him and his outside shooting ability and strong work on the glass make him especially well suited for the international game.

elvis14
07-24-2016, 06:45 PM
Full exhibition schedule:

USA Basketball Showcase (all times ET)
July 22: USA vs. Argentina, 9 p.m. (T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas)
July 24: USA vs. China, 8 p.m. (Staples Center, Los Angeles)
July 26: USA vs. China, 10 p.m. (Oracle Arena, Oakland)
July 29: USA vs. Venezuela, 9 p.m. (United Center, Chicago)
Aug. 1: USA vs. Nigeria, 8 p.m. (Toyota Center, Houston)

Is the game tonight being broadcast? If so, what network (or channel if you are TWC in Raleigh)?

dukebluesincebirth
07-24-2016, 07:53 PM
is the game tonight being broadcast? If so, what network (or channel if you are twc in raleigh)?

nba tv

Troublemaker
07-24-2016, 07:54 PM
Is the game tonight being broadcast? If so, what network (or channel if you are TWC in Raleigh)?

nba tv

yep, or the facebook stream linked in the first post.

Mike Corey
07-24-2016, 09:34 PM
So far, so good.

Troublemaker
07-25-2016, 08:28 AM
So far, so good.

Indeed. The defense was once again stifling; often, it felt like China could only score if it got lucky. And the offense was slightly more cohesive than the first outing.

Box Score (http://www.usab.com/news-events/live-stats/2016/07/box-score-2016-mnt-showcase-game-usa-vs-china1.aspx)

Coach K went with 4 different starters this time, but notably Anthony was still in the starting lineup.

Lowry-DeRozan-George-Anthony-Jordan

Coach will continue to play with different combinations, but I think he'll eventually settle on the starting lineup used against Argentina (Irving-Thompson-Durant-Anthony-Cousins). Maybe he'll put George in place of Thompson, or Jordan in place of Cousins. But I think he wants to go with 5 starters that have national team experience.

Billy Dat
07-25-2016, 09:08 AM
I have seen large portions of the first two exhibition games.

I'm not sure that we'll see K settle on a starting 5. If there was ever a time to push his sometimes-used philosophy of "this team has no starters" it is with this group. While there are some supernovas, like Durant, it is more a team of equals and it wouldn't surprise me to see him use different starting line-ups throughout the run.

I think the biggest pleasant surprise, kind of in a Kenneth Faried 2014 way, has be DeAndre Jordan. Compared to the competition we have faced so far, including the very big Chinese, he has been a huge force in the middle. Boogie has been dominant inside, too. Our strength in the middle is an early story line.

Durant has picked up where he left off, FIBA-wise. His stroke is pure and I have been impressed by how well he moves his feet on defense.

Our offense is a work in progress. These guys just aren't used to playing together.

Aside from the bigs and Durant, Paul George has impressed me, as has Draymond's versatile game which has seen him up top a bit running the offense.

It kind of feels like we'll kill everyone. However, we do seem to get challenged in gold medal games. I am sure this team will get pushed at some point just because it seems like history suggests it will eventually happen. Hopefully we'll eventually face Spain/Brazil/Lithuania in addition to our tougher pool games against France, Serbia and Australia.

Any chance K goes full "fan service" and starts KD-Klay-Dray in Oakland tomorrow night?

devildeac
07-25-2016, 09:32 AM

I'm not sure that we'll see K settle on a starting 5. If there was ever a time to push his sometimes-used philosophy of "this team has no starters" it is with this group. While there are some supernovas, like Durant, it is more a team of equals and it wouldn't surprise me to see him use different starting line-ups throughout the run.

I think the biggest pleasant surprise, kind of in a Kenneth Faried 2014 way, has be DeAndre Jordan. Compared to the competition we have faced so far, including the very big Chinese, he has been a huge force in the middle. Boogie has been dominant inside, too. Our strength in the middle is an early story line.

Durant has picked up where he left off, FIBA-wise. His stroke is pure and I have been impressed by how well he moves his feet on defense.

Our offense is a work in progress. These guys just aren't used to playing together.

Aside from the bigs and Durant, Paul George has impressed me, as has Draymond's versatile game which has seen him up top a bit running the offense.

It kind of feels like we'll kill everyone. However, we do seem to get challenged in gold medal games. I am sure this team will get pushed at some point just because it seems like history suggests it will eventually happen. Hopefully we'll eventually face Spain/Brazil/Lithuania in addition to our tougher pool games against France, Serbia and Australia.

Any chance K goes full "fan service" and starts KD-Klay-Dray in Oakland tomorrow night?

Any combo is good for me as long as the pigeon keeps collecting splinters ;) .

elvis14
07-25-2016, 09:35 AM

They did mention that the starting lineup last night contained guys that were from LA (and DeAndre who plays there) so it would seem likely that the GSW trio would start. The way KD and Klay played last night they should start anyway.

On another note, I saved the game on the DVR since it came on around midnight and I wasn't going to be up for the whole thing. I'm assuming it was on delay since the game was actually scheduled for 9pm. Someone needs to tell NBA TV that it's not a good idea to repeatedly scroll the post game stats at the bottom of the screen when showing the game! There went all the suspense over who was going to win :p

richardjackson199
07-25-2016, 12:13 PM
I watched the game live, and I thought I heard the announcers state they had confirmed that K would definitely start Klay, Draymond, and KD in Oakland.

BD80
07-25-2016, 01:54 PM

Just wait until we get used to handling and shooting the FIBA ball ...

duke74
07-25-2016, 03:06 PM
On another note, I saved the game on the DVR since it came on around midnight and I wasn't going to be up for the whole thing. I'm assuming it was on delay since the game was actually scheduled for 9pm. Someone needs to tell NBA TV that it's not a good idea to repeatedly scroll the post game stats at the bottom of the screen when showing the game! There went all the suspense over who was going to win :p

Maybe scheduled differently in your area? I watched it live at 9PM on Long Island - after the replay of the ARG game. Strange.

SilkyJ
07-25-2016, 03:53 PM

Not sure I totally agree. There seemed to be a noticeable drop-off with the B unit, particularly on offense. The defense was just as good if not better, but the offense isn't as sharp with KD, Klay, and Kyrie off the floor. A big part of that is that those 3 are all excellent shooters, and Lowry, Derozan, Butler, George, are all average shooters. Now, you might throw KD or Klay into the 2nd unit and all of a sudden it would be much better, but to my eye Lowry, Derozan, and Butler (not to mention 12th man Barnes) are all a solid notch below Kyrie, KD, Klay, George, and Melo.

The early story is definitely how great our inside game has been. Cousins brings an element we haven't really had down low--an explosive scorer on the low-block. Not to mention he's a double-double machine. Anthony Davis was close 2 years ago, but Cousins should have a field day this Olympics. And to be able to swap Deandre, maybe the best defensive center in the game, at any given moment is pretty powerful. We are going to dominate the paint this olympics.

flyingdutchdevil
07-25-2016, 04:04 PM
Not sure I totally agree. There seemed to be a noticeable drop-off with the B unit, particularly on offense. The defense was just as good if not better, but the offense isn't as sharp with KD, Klay, and Kyrie off the floor. A big part of that is that those 3 are all excellent shooters, and Lowry, Derozan, Butler, George, are all average shooters. Now, you might throw KD or Klay into the 2nd unit and all of a sudden it would be much better, but to my eye Lowry, Derozan, and Butler (not to mention 12th man Barnes) are all a solid notch below Kyrie, KD, Klay, George, and Melo.

The early story is definitely how great our inside game has been. Cousins brings an element we haven't really had down low--an explosive scorer on the low-block. Not to mention he's a double-double machine. Anthony Davis was close 2 years ago, but Cousins should have a field day this Olympics. And to be able to swap Deandre, maybe the best defensive center in the game, at any given moment is pretty powerful. We are going to dominate the paint this olympics.

I would agree. The offense of the first line is borderline unstoppable. Kyrie, Durant, Cousins, and Melo are all offensive-minded players. That isn't to say they can't play defense (well, some aren't great at it), but offense is their bread-and-butter. And in Klay, who is one of the best off-the-ball players, and it's a scary offensive group. The second line is better at defense at every single position. I don't think you can argue with Lowry > Kyrie, Butler > Klay, DeAndre > Cousins, and (George or Green) > Anthony. You can definitely argue Durant > (Barnes or Derozan), but I think it's close.

Basically, Coach K is going for offense in one line-up vs defense in the other. Regardless, either line-up will be the best offensive AND defensive line-ups on the floor in any game.

Troublemaker
07-26-2016, 08:25 PM
USA might do something nasty to China tonight. It'll be their second look at the opponent, there'll be some hype for the GSW players playing in Oakland, the team should be incrementally better since the last game...

Troublemaker
07-26-2016, 08:39 PM

I really doubt Coach would do that. I think he would view it as disrespectful and risky to not start his best lineup against the likes of France and Serbia in group play and then obviously the knockout opponents.

The team will come together like usual. He'll set a starting lineup at some point, he'll have about 3 key bench players and then 1-2 other guys who get minutes.

We could lose. Nothing's guaranteed, so coach like it.

UrinalCake
07-26-2016, 09:49 PM
On another note, I saved the game on the DVR since it came on around midnight and I wasn't going to be up for the whole thing.

There are some very well-edited highlight videos on YouTube for all of the games. They show you almost every single bucket and good defensive play in about 15 minutes. Worth watching if you don't have time to see the full game replay.

moonpie23
07-26-2016, 10:17 PM
kyrie irving is a steely-eyed missile man....

Billy Dat
07-27-2016, 08:39 PM
I am a big fan of those two Chinese point guards, Guo Ailun and Zhao Jiwei...those dudes won me over these past two games with their slick handles and toughness.

Melo's 16 in the first 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter was fun. The bench guys were so into it they basically were 15 feet onto the court anticipating a made 3. When it missed, there were basically 15 players on the court and the US bench guys had to dive for the sidelines.

I am ready to stop playing China, too bad we play them in Game 1. Ready for some other exhibition opponents.

moonpie23
07-27-2016, 10:39 PM
coach k chilling the usa team out (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2654314-mike-krzyzewski-thinks-team-usa-needs-to-tone-down-its-antics?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial)over taunting and disrespecting the opponents..

even the big boys get a talkin to.....

JasonEvans
07-28-2016, 10:18 AM
coach k chilling the usa team out (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2654314-mike-krzyzewski-thinks-team-usa-needs-to-tone-down-its-antics?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial)over taunting and disrespecting the opponents..

even the big boys get a talkin to....

Good for K!!

The players we are playing against are putting in tremendous effort despite knowing they have no chance against Team USA. My sons both play basketball for a small high school and we have been on the receiving end of more than a few brutal beat-downs (we play Wendell Carter's team and obviously we have no one who can hope to compete with him). Nothing is more frustrating than when a dominant opposing team disrespects you.

BD80
07-28-2016, 10:47 AM
... Nothing is more frustrating than when a dominant opposing team disrespects you.

Maybe when an inferior team disrespects you, then beats you?

moonpie23
07-28-2016, 11:27 AM
Maybe when an inferior team disrespects you, then beats you?

then, after they beat you, they get shown doing the "we just beat the superior team spank you dance" over and over on sports center...

Billy Dat
07-30-2016, 04:23 PM
Team USA having fun on the plane
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/17179412/carmelo-anthony-not-impressed-team-usa-sing-along

Not much to report from the Venezuela game save for us being unable to make a shot.

duke4ever19
07-31-2016, 03:45 PM
Wonder if there's any olympic team fall-out for this . . . .

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2655042-draymond-green-tweets-his-snapchat-was-hacked-after-nsfw-image-surfaces

The guy has quite the fixation with the 'ol nether regions.

Just a quick public service announcement to any and all people in the public eye: Sending picks of your privates is just not a good idea, especially if your intelligence quotient is in the vicinity of Draymond Green.

Draymond has compiled quite the rap sheet the last couple months:

1)Several in(un)tentional tech fouls for targeting aforementioned nether regions,
2)Suspension for a Finals game for said fouls,
3)Punching a guy at a bar and getting in legal trouble over it
4)sending pics of his junk to the world

Am I missing anything?

NSDukeFan
07-31-2016, 04:18 PM
Wonder if there's any olympic team fall-out for this . . . .

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2655042-draymond-green-tweets-his-snapchat-was-hacked-after-nsfw-image-surfaces

The guy has quite the fixation with the 'ol nether regions.

Just a quick public service announcement to any and all people in the public eye: Sending picks of your privates is just not a good idea, especially if your intelligence quotient is in the vicinity of Draymond Green.

Draymond has compiled quite the rap sheet the last couple months:

1)Several in(un)tentional tech fouls for targeting aforementioned nether regions,
2)Suspension for a Finals game for said fouls,
3)Punching a guy at a bar and getting in legal trouble over it
4)sending pics of his junk to the world

Am I missing anything?

Losing a title and changing the perception of your team from one of, if not the greatest NBA championship teams of all-time to one of the best teams to never win the championship, via 2.

Troublemaker
08-01-2016, 08:04 PM
Bummer, no Kyrie tonight:

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine (https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine) 23m23 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/760258966777507840)
Paul George (left calf) & Kyrie Irving (left thigh) are not expected to play tonight for Team USA against Nigeria in Houston, USA Basketball says

Troublemaker
08-02-2016, 09:38 AM
Against Nigeria, USA had their second-highest scoring game (110 points) of the five exhibitions, which was nice to see, especially while missing Kyrie and Paul George from the game.

Box Score (http://www.usab.com/news-events/live-stats/2016/07/box-score-2016-mnt-showcase-game-usa-vs-nigeria.aspx)

The team shot 13-33 (39%) from three so hopefully the shooting is starting to round into form.

Troublemaker
08-02-2016, 09:40 AM
The cumulative stats for all 5 games are here, in pdf form (http://www.usab.com/basketball/media/pdfs/2016/mnt-stats/mnt-cumulativepdf.aspx).

gep
08-02-2016, 06:40 PM
I don't think I saw much of anything on the extent of the injuries to Kyrie and Paul. Any word?

Troublemaker
08-02-2016, 06:55 PM
I don't think I saw much of anything on the extent of the injuries to Kyrie and Paul. Any word?

Nothing serious. In Coach K's postgame (http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2016/08/mnt-quotes-vs-nigeria.aspx) opening statement:

We kept Paul and Kyrie out. They’ll both be ready to play in the Olympics – nothing huge there. Kyrie got that illegal screen set on him, where it just hit him in the quad in the Venezuela game, and it’s better to give another day of rest.

SilkyJ
08-03-2016, 12:54 PM
Nothing serious. In Coach K's postgame (http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2016/08/mnt-quotes-vs-nigeria.aspx) opening statement:

I'll tell you what's serious: as soon as they became available a week or two ago I ordered my Kyrie Team USA jersey, but it doesn't ship til AFTER the olympics. So now I have to root for team usa wearing my warriors Dunleavy jersey, which feels just a smidge less patriotic.

(BTW, I just looked and the Kyrie jersey is no longer available on NBA.com or the USAB.com websites so if you want one you better move quick. Looks like Lids and Dick's had some online...)

Billy Dat
08-04-2016, 12:42 PM
As K exits the Olympic stage, I am not sure the wider world (who doesn't obsessively follow USA Basketball) understands what he and Colangelo have accomplished.

This piece, by a writer named Brandon Anderson, tries to make a straw man that the gap between the US and the rest of the world is shrinking
https://medium.com/@wheatonbrando/is-the-dream-team-about-to-become-a-nightmare-again-7f520ca1c86c#.j557sgo6q

K, who seems to have a good rapport with the players, is being raked over the coals for asking them to calm down their celebratory antics a few games ago - or maybe this is just more K bashing by "The Ringer" which is picking up the mantle from Grantland (I like both places, but they have UNC sympathizers in key positions)
https://theringer.com/coach-k-let-team-usa-be-great-1d6af2222aea#.w569ohpcs

Here's something I can't believe I am saying...I am actually starting to feel bad for Harrison Barnes as Brandon Anderson sticks it to him here:
https://thecauldron.si.com/is-harrison-barnes-the-worst-pro-basketball-olympian-of-all-time-624d84645165#.j7xvko5ok

But, the Barnes stink adheres to K, according to the Ringer who puts them on the same couch as Mohammed, Jugdish, Sidney and Clayton
https://theringer.com/who-is-cliquing-up-on-team-usas-men-s-basketball-team-b604ed1bc963#.8t1elrmhw

Furniture
08-04-2016, 09:11 PM
http://www.si.com/longform/big-interview/mike-krzyzewski-2016-olympics-rio-big-interview/?xid=si_social

budwom
08-05-2016, 08:50 AM
nice piece today by Fearless Leader on Lithuania's team...but someone needs to get DBR a new atlas...the population of Lithuania is more than ten
times that of Newark, NJ.....many fine Duke fans in both locations, of course.

MChambers
08-05-2016, 09:04 AM
http://www.si.com/longform/big-interview/mike-krzyzewski-2016-olympics-rio-big-interview/?xid=si_social

I know everybody here knows this, but we are so lucky that he is Duke's coach. And the USA is lucky he's the national coach.

budwom
08-05-2016, 09:11 AM
I know everybody here knows this, but we are so lucky that he is Duke's coach. And the USA is lucky he's the national coach.

Those Vermont guys really know how to write!

devildeac
08-05-2016, 10:40 AM

It's all the hops, barley and yeast they put in their water up there. Good brain food. ;)

Troublemaker
08-05-2016, 11:03 AM
nice piece today by Fearless Leader on Lithuania's team...but someone needs to get DBR a new atlas...the population of Lithuania is more than ten
times that of Newark, NJ...many fine Duke fans in both locations, of course.

Also, the article wonders why Linas Kleiza isn't playing. Answer: he's nursing a knee injury that will require surgery. Lithuanian news article (http://sportas.lrytas.lt/krepsinis/linas-kleiza-apie-krepsinio-rinktine-olimpinis-sidabras-realu.htm) about that.

I enjoyed how liberally Wolff employed the [brackets] to clarify what Coach K was saying. I wish more writers would do the same. As a long-time fan, I usually know what Coach K is saying, but for those that don't follow the team closely, Coach does have a sort of stream-of-consciousness speaking style that can occasionally be incoherent or unclear if the transcript is not edited.

mattman91
08-05-2016, 11:29 AM
It's all the hops, barley and yeast they put in their water up there. Good brain food. ;)

A very Heady (Topper) remark.

Billy Dat
08-06-2016, 01:21 PM
Team USA hits a Rio brothel
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics-2016-so-team-usa-walks-into-a-rio-brothel-and-040537797.html

Money line:
"But guys, can you just visit the spa on the damn boat the next time? What happens in Rio does not stay in Rio – it appears on TMZ. One more story like this and you’re going to finally turn Coach K’s hair gray."