PDA

View Full Version : UNC reply to NOA #2 is due next Monday, July 25. What's next?

Jarhead
07-19-2016, 10:45 PM
In this morning's News and Observer Andrew Carter tells us that the time has come for uNC to reply to the NCAA NOA #2 by next Monday. Will they, or won't they? I can't find a link.

devildeac
07-19-2016, 10:53 PM
In this morning's News and Observer Andrew Carter tells us that the time has come for uNC to reply to the NCAA NOA #2 by next Monday. Will they, or won't they? I can't find a link.

They'll reply this time. It'll be a steaming load of sheep feces but it'll be a reply and Bubba (and their millions of $$ of lawyers and PR henchmen) will urge that the ncaa be fair with them, just as he indicated they would several months ago when the PoS NOA #2 was issued. My signature still stands. :mad:

OldPhiKap
07-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Go to HELL Carolina.

Go to HELL.

moonpie23
07-20-2016, 05:54 PM
they are gonna .....

arnie
07-20-2016, 06:14 PM
they are gonna ....

No doubt they skate. Gonna be hard hearing how they've been absolved of all wrongdoing and the Carolina Way always wins out. I may to have to move.

JStuart
07-20-2016, 08:02 PM
They'll reply this time. It'll be a steaming load of sheep feces but it'll be a reply and Bubba (and their millions of $$ of lawyers and PR henchmen) will urge that the ncaa be fair with them, just as he indicated they would several months ago when the PoS NOA #2 was issued. My signature still stands. :mad:

Now, DevilDeac, don't hold back; tell us how you really feel!

plimnko
07-20-2016, 08:08 PM
unc...the oj of the ncaa

Dukehky
07-20-2016, 08:12 PM
Now, DevilDeac, don't hold back; tell us how you really feel!

To be fair, they used in house attorneys at the law school, and I'm not sure they got paid millions to handle it, but they have spent millions on PR. Guess they all knew what they were doing.

madscavenger
07-20-2016, 08:50 PM
To be fair, they used in house attorneys at the law school, and I'm not sure they got paid millions to handle it, but they have spent millions on PR. Guess they all knew what they were doing.

i remember there being multiple law firms involved (at double digit millions). Perhaps you're just thinking about the digging out of email and redacting it up the wazoo. Experts?

Pghdukie
07-20-2016, 09:14 PM
It certainly will be interesting to read the response. NCAA seems to be attacking alot of smaller institutions lately. Will they have the go-nads to pound the dump on the hump ? Or will NCAA take the cheaters reasoning, slap them on the wrist and say "SORRY, our mistake " all is forgiven. Lack of Institutional Control ?

BLPOG
07-21-2016, 02:17 PM
It certainly will be interesting to read the response. NCAA seems to be attacking alot of smaller institutions lately. Will they have the go-nads to pound the dump on the hump ? Or will NCAA take the cheaters reasoning, slap them on the wrist and say "SORRY, our mistake " all is forgiven. Lack of Institutional Control ?

The revised NOA made it very clear that they have no intention "to pound the dump." At this point, a wrist slap might be asking for a lot from those cravens.

DukePA
07-21-2016, 03:11 PM
The revised NOA made it very clear that they have no intention "to pound the dump." At this point, a wrist slap might be asking for a lot from those cravens.

I would love to see those smaller institutions give the NCAA the bird then start their own athletic association.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-21-2016, 03:52 PM
UNC reply to NOA #2 is due next Monday, July 25. What's next?

What's next? Massive disappointment for anyone who isn't a Carolina fan.

BigWayne
07-21-2016, 04:04 PM
As a counterpoint to Carter's piece earlier in the week, Dan Kane has a version that is less favorable to UNC. (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article91013587.html)

Here are six things to look for in UNC’s response:
1. How is UNC describing the fake classes to the NCAA?

2. Will UNC again contend that all students had equal access to the classes?

3. Who will UNC identify as guilty parties, and how were those people handled?

4. How does UNC respond to exhibits in the notice that cast men’s basketball and football in a bad light?

5. Will UNC offer any help to Jan Boxill?

6. Will there be signs of a settlement?

dudog84
07-21-2016, 04:24 PM
As a counterpoint to Carter's piece earlier in the week, Dan Kane has a version that is less favorable to UNC. (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/education/unc-scandal/article91013587.html)

Am I the only one that thinks Dan Kane sounds a little ticked off? I don't blame him, I'm thoroughly disgusted with uNC, maybe more so with the NCAA (though I should probably wait on the final outcome for that - I maintain a smidgen of hope that they are sandbagging). I wonder if nothing comes of this if he lost a Pulitzer. I think he should get one anyway. Does the Pulitzer Committee allow fan voting?

OldPhiKap
07-21-2016, 04:41 PM
Am I the only one that thinks Dan Kane sounds a little ticked off? I don't blame him, I'm thoroughly disgusted with uNC, maybe more so with the NCAA (though I should probably wait on the final outcome for that - I maintain a smidgen of hope that they are sandbagging). I wonder if nothing comes of this if he lost a Pulitzer. I think he should get one anyway. Does the Pulitzer Committee allow fan voting?

Dan got played, just like a few notable folks who don't seem to post here anymore. I'm sure he's ticked about the whole situation, and the fact that UNC might skate must be doubly insulting.

Chillduck
07-22-2016, 02:11 PM
Now, they've put off their response till August 1st. Once you delay, you just can't stop!

SCMatt33
07-22-2016, 02:30 PM
Now, they've put off their response till August 1st. Once you delay, you just can't stop!

Given that they are releasing to the public on a Tuesday and not dumping it in the Friday trash, I presume the response will be something along the lines of:

"We agree wholeheartedly with the amended notice of allegations. We are deeply saddened by the actions of the FEW rogue WOMENS basketball employees. It's such a shame that soooooo many other STUDENT athletes got caught up in these acts by a FEW rogue WOMENS basketball employees. They had absolutely noooo way to know that these classes in which they did noting and got A's were totally fake. Did we mention how FEW rogue employees there were and that that they were only associate with the WOMENS basketball team. We shall impose harsh sanctions to make sure they never sully the name of the Carolina Way ever again. As punishment for other programs not noticing these FEW rogue WOMENS basketball employees, they will have to write us a letter of apology and will lose three whole days of recruiting. These days may be taken during the next dead period for that sport. Did we mention this was perpetrated by a FEW rogue WOMENS basketball employees.

OldPhiKap
07-22-2016, 02:36 PM

Once you go slack, you'll never go back.

CameronBornAndBred
07-22-2016, 02:39 PM

They need a little extra time to plan the party on Franklin Street.

hallcity
07-22-2016, 02:41 PM
I'll guess that this is a sign of ongoing negotiations. I don't think UNC needs more time to prepare its answer. Further delay in filing an answer doesn't help them.

Indoor66
07-22-2016, 02:56 PM

Where does that come from? Link?

SilkyJ
07-22-2016, 03:15 PM

Gotta love this:

If there’s no deal made to avoid an infractions hearing, the NCAA’s enforcement division has up to 60 days to review UNC’s response. Once that’s done, the infractions committee needs at least 30 days to review all written materials in the case before holding a hearing. A decision on penalties would likely come in early 2017.

Even with the response coming soon, they need 6 more months to reach a decision. These people must be dumb as rocks.

Lid
07-22-2016, 03:19 PM
Where does that come from? Link?

WRAL (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/unc-to-release-ncaa-response-on-aug-1/15870134/)

News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article91314192.html)

Chillduck
07-22-2016, 03:19 PM
WRAL reporting delay until August 1st, public response August 2nd.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/15870134

allenmurray
07-22-2016, 05:06 PM
Gotta love this:

Even with the response coming soon, they need 6 more months to reach a decision. These people must be dumb as rocks.

Why do you feel the need to insult rocks? These people are far dumber than rocks.

devildeac
07-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Why do you feel the need to insult rocks? These people are far dumber than rocks.

And have far less morals/character/courage, too.

My signature still fits/applies. For both gangs of jackwagons.

madscavenger
07-23-2016, 05:00 AM
But wither Anson Dorrance? Didn't they have 8 titles at risk. Maybe Title IX is the ticket.

budwom
07-23-2016, 12:39 PM
I've come to expect absolutely nothing from the nitwits at the NCAA but I have to admit that this extension given unc is ever so slightly
heartening....I had assumed the fix was in (since the amended NOA came out) but maybe the fix is not entirely in (yet).

Unless maybe unc is insisting that the NCAA apologize for its "groundless investigation."

sammy3469
07-23-2016, 08:48 PM
I've come to expect absolutely nothing from the nitwits at the NCAA but I have to admit that this extension given unc is ever so slightly
heartening...I had assumed the fix was in (since the amended NOA came out) but maybe the fix is not entirely in (yet).

Unless maybe unc is insisting that the NCAA apologize for its "groundless investigation."

Generally in these things, a weeks extension is given only when the school asks for a ruling by the COI for either an extension or some other applicability in the rule book and the COI tells them to pound sand and get us your response like it should have been.

Basically this is most likely the COI calling BS on some further UNC shenanigan since if it was a real issue they would have given them a real extension.

One part of me is heartened by it, but I'll wait until they rule elite I get my hopes up anymore.

MarkD83
07-23-2016, 09:16 PM
This delay is just like last year.

UNC realizes they have a half way decent men's bball team and with few recruits coming in perhaps their last chance to enjoy an NCAA tournament run for a while. So....delay as much as possible so a ruling and appeal last past March 2017.

allenmurray
07-23-2016, 10:01 PM
They needed extra time to tighten up their laces before they

SKATE!

madscavenger
07-24-2016, 06:56 AM
60 days after Tuesday, August 1st is FRIDAY, September 30th. FWIW.

hudlow
07-24-2016, 09:45 AM
This delay is just like last year.

UNC realizes they have a half way decent men's bball team and with few recruits coming in perhaps their last chance to enjoy an NCAA tournament run for a while. So...delay as much as possible so a ruling and appeal last past March 2017.

Not to mention the free lunches enjoyed by all the committees will be a thing of the past.

ipatent
07-24-2016, 01:23 PM
never to hire Matt Doherty as head coach again.

DukieInKansas
07-24-2016, 02:25 PM
never to hire Matt Doherty as head coach again.

Why would you want to punish the rest of the basketball world by ruling that out?

Jarhead
07-24-2016, 02:31 PM
As expected, nobody knows what is going to happen at carowhiner, but I wish for the hammer to drop. In this present situation it seems that those folks have asked for an extension, but the NCAA would only give them a week, to August 1, 2016. That in itself is some kind of message, but if the NCAA gives another extension, maybe the skating rink is open.

The NCAA is accountable to the presidents of the member institutions, and sooner or later the presidents will, or should step in and and tell the NCAA to drop that hammer right where it hurts. Time's a wasting.

NSDukeFan
07-24-2016, 05:20 PM
As expected, nobody knows what is going to happen at carowhiner, but I wish for the hammer to drop. In this present situation it seems that those folks have asked for an extension, but the NCAA would only give them a week, to August 1, 2016. That in itself is some kind of message, but if the NCAA gives another extension, maybe the skating rink is open.

The NCAA is accountable to the presidents of the member institutions, and sooner or later the presidents will, or should step in and and tell the NCAA to drop that hammer right where it hurts. Time's a wasting.

Sounds like the NCAA only needs another week to formulate their apology to UNC about the hardships they have put them through when researching the greatest academic/ athletic fraud it has ever seen.

moonpie23
07-24-2016, 06:21 PM
when you think about the reality of where the ncaa is, it would be foolhardy to hammer the cash cow of the NCAA MEN'S BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT....

by admitting that UNC cheated their way to a few titles AND the ncaa turned a blind eye to the entire thing this past year in the effort to "allow" them a chance at another ring, would tarnish the tournament.

they can't let that happen...

madscavenger
07-25-2016, 04:04 AM
Well, if it is all about the money (and i doubt it), but IF........................ then they ought to take wins, take 2 banners, and put them on some sort of probation going forward. Probation could consist of, for example, a stern public warning and a fixed period during which violation of any of a list of conditions would result in both automatic specified additional penalties and an extension of the probationary period.

ricks68
07-25-2016, 12:51 PM
when you think about the reality of where the ncaa is, it would be foolhardy to hammer the cash cow of the NCAA MEN'S BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT...

by admitting that UNC cheated their way to a few titles AND the ncaa turned a blind eye to the entire thing this past year in the effort to "allow" them a chance at another ring, would tarnish the tournament.

they can't let that happen...

Like MLB couldn't let the steroid use affecting home run records that stood for numerous decades tarnish baseball?

ricks