PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast Episode 54: The Voice of the Blue Devils

Dev11
07-19-2016, 08:56 AM
On the 54th episode of the Duke Basketball Report Podcast, we speak with the legendary Bob Harris, the Voice of the Blue Devils! Also, we take a look at the nonconference basketball schedule, and we discuss Coach K's appearance on JJ Redick's podcast, focusing on his thoughts on the one-and-done era and JJ's career. As always, we finish up with some parting shots.

Jason added some fancy transition sounds between topics this week, let us know what you think.

JasonEvans
07-19-2016, 11:53 AM
On the 54th episode of the Duke Basketball Report Podcast, we speak with the legendary Bob Harris, the Voice of the Blue Devils! Also, we take a look at the nonconference basketball schedule, and we discuss Coach K's appearance on JJ Redick's podcast, focusing on his thoughts on the one-and-done era and JJ's career. As always, we finish up with some parting shots.

Jason added some fancy transition sounds between topics this week, let us know what you think.

Folks, you are required to listen to this one... if only to hear Bob re-create his call of the Laettner shot. Chills!!!

--Jason "also, Bob's story about Coach K crying in the locker room is stunning insight" Evans

Dev11
07-19-2016, 06:43 PM
Folks, you are required to listen to this one... if only to hear Bob re-create his call of the Laettner shot. Chills!!!

--Jason "also, Bob's story about Coach K crying in the locker room is stunning insight" Evans

I said it on the show, but hearing him redo the Laettner call was so awesome.

Also, as I mentioned briefly in the parting shots, if you are in the Triangle and are considering attending both the homecoming football game against Virginia and the IBMA shows in Raleigh that weekend, send me a PM.

Dev11
07-20-2016, 02:19 PM
I neglected to add generic links to the post, even though I think they still appear in my signature, which I can't see on mobile.

Links:
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

devil84
07-22-2016, 10:38 AM
That's an excellent interview with Bob Harris. Well done, Jason, Sam, and Donald!

If you're lurking along on this thread, find some time to listen to it. You won't be disappointed. Links in Sam's post, above.

NSDukeFan
07-22-2016, 12:20 PM
That's an excellent interview with Bob Harris. Well done, Jason, Sam, and Donald!

If you're lurking along on this thread, find some time to listen to it. You won't be disappointed. Links in Sam's post, above.

I agree. Very good podcast with "the voice".

UrinalCake
07-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Really enjoyed this podcast and especially the interview with the great Bob Harris. Count me among the many who did not realize how much work goes into preparing for his broadcasts. Of course, when your "job" is to hang around the football and basketball practices and talk to the players and staff, it probably doesn't feel like work. :)

One particular comment stood out to me - in his very emotional retelling of an early conversation with K, Mr. Harris recalls K after a loss stating something to the effect of "we could have won more games playing zone, but I'm trying to build a program, not just achieve a short-term goal of winning this year." And I got to think to thinking about where you draw the line between a Coach playing a particular "system" versus a Coach being stubborn and failing to adapt. K is universally praised for his ability to adapt his game plans around the players he has each year. But at the same time, he has long been a staunch proponent of man to man defense, even in years when his personnel would lend itself more towards playing zone. Only in recent years has he been willing to play more zone, which is IMO partially a response to having younger teams and relying more on freshmen who have not had time to learn the more complicated M2M schemes.

In recent years, we've had plenty of message board debates about what K should and should not do. After a loss, fans will often say he should play zone, he should play a pack line defense rather than an overplay, he should shoot fewer threes, he should play his bench more, etc. But at the same time, there are certain foundations that he has built his program upon that he is unlikely to ever change, just like Boeheim always plays the 3-2 matchup zone and Roy always plays the two post offense.