PDA

View Full Version : Laura Keeley moving on to Columbia Law School

JetpackJesus
07-18-2016, 07:10 PM
Laura Keeley just tweeted a confirmation that she will be leaving her Duke beat to attend law school at Columbia. She followed up in a separate tweet that a farewell column would be published on Aug. 1. Sounds like the news leaked earlier than intended.

https://twitter.com/laurakeeley/status/755171291213291520

MartyClark
07-18-2016, 07:20 PM
Laura Keeley just tweeted a confirmation that she will be leaving her Duke beat to attend law school at Columbia. She followed up in a separate tweet that a farewell column would be published on Aug. 1. Sounds like the news leaked earlier than intended.

https://twitter.com/laurakeeley/status/755171291213291520
Good for her. She's very bright if she is admitted to Columbia. I'm an attorney who is in the 8th inning, okay maybe the 9th inning, of his career. I'd love to meet her at some point and discuss this intersection of academics, business and sheer staying power to succeed in law.

One of my best friends in law school graduated last in our class. He was a fearless type who never backed down, even when wrong, to professors. He was probably the most financially successful graduate of our class for the first 20 years.

Okay, I'm wandering here. Good luck to Ms. Keeley.

OldPhiKap
07-18-2016, 07:25 PM
Laura, a little hint -- Pennoyer v. Neff is not good law anymore. Doesn't mean that you won't spend a month talking about it before your prof tells you that.

You'll thank me later.

Indoor66
07-18-2016, 07:56 PM
Laura, a little hint -- Pennoyer v. Neff is not good law anymore. Doesn't mean that you won't spend a month talking about it before your prof tells you that.

You'll thank me later.

But a writ in replevin might bring it back...😈😎

OldPhiKap
07-18-2016, 08:01 PM
But a writ in replevin might bring it back...😈😎

I demur-rer.

sue71, esq
07-18-2016, 08:22 PM

You'll thank me later.

My prof skipped Pennoyer v. Neff, and let us know he was skipping it. I'd previously read it and thought it was another language, so I was quite pleased.

As someone who made a mid-life career change to the law, best wishes to LK.

OldPhiKap
07-18-2016, 08:31 PM
My prof skipped Pennoyer v. Neff, and let us know he was skipping it. I'd previously read it and thought it was another language, so I was quite pleased.

As someone who made a mid-life career change to the law, best wishes to LK.

Well, I hope you made up for it with Burger King v. Rudzewicz or, at minimum, Helicopteros. But kids these days want to jump right to the exciting topic of pleading requirements under Iqbal.

heyman25
07-18-2016, 08:56 PM
Laura was my favorite Duke beat writer. I do not plan on subscribing to the News and Observer despite her excellent coverage of Duke basketball. She will be missed by me.

Channing
07-18-2016, 09:07 PM
and here I always thought she had good judgment...

Mike Corey
07-18-2016, 09:15 PM
Great for Laura. Excellent law school and I'm sure she'll be an excellent law student.

Merlindevildog91
07-18-2016, 09:26 PM
Don't forget about People ex rel. Mayo v. Satan and his Staff.

Best of luck to Ms. Keeley at Columbia Law School.

sue71, esq
07-18-2016, 09:34 PM
Well, I hope you made up for it with Burger King v. Rudzewicz or, at minimum, Helicopteros. But kids these days want to jump right to the exciting topic of pleading requirements under Iqbal.

Hit all 3, thanks. No PTSD or anything as I bar prep for round 2 next week. Why didn't I find a job where I'm admitted? :(

OldPhiKap
07-18-2016, 09:38 PM
Hit all 3, thanks. No PTSD or anything as I bar prep for round 2 next week. Why didn't I find a job where I'm admitted? :(

I'm coming to Vegas soon and am planning on needing representation. Just sayin'

sue71, esq
07-18-2016, 11:49 PM

I don't practice criminal law. Sorry. But I'll PM you in a few.

Indoor66
07-19-2016, 07:47 AM
I don't practice criminal law.

Come on, Sue. Everybody practices criminal law - in one form or another.... :D:cool:

jimsumner
07-19-2016, 10:34 AM
Kudos to Keely.

Newspapers are a dying breed.

Lawyers? Not so much.

Seems like a prudent move.

Good luck to her.

Tom B.
07-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Or my personal favorite, United States v. 1500 Cases, More or Less, of Tomato Paste (http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/236/208/440369/).

Congrats to Laura, and best of luck as she moves to the next phase of her life and career.

77devil
07-19-2016, 11:30 AM

Searching for the brown buffalo?

Reilly
07-19-2016, 11:42 AM

Probably a more straight-forward representation than OPK's El Paso/Sun Bowl/Juarez trip that required expertise in knowing the rights/prohibitions involving animals under international treaties.

OldPhiKap
07-19-2016, 11:43 AM
Searching for the brown buffalo?

Oscar Acosta is still out there somewhere. Probably hanging out with D.B. Cooper and Elvis.

cato
07-19-2016, 11:45 AM
Is this the thread where we post favorite cases from law school? Ladies and gentlemen of the supposed jury, I present LUTHER R. CAMPBELL aka LUKE SKYYWALKER, et al., PETITIONERS v. ACUFF ROSE MUSIC, INC.: https://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/92-1292.ZO.html

How many artists get paragraphs like this entered into the United States Reports:

As the District Court remarked, the words of 2 Live Crew's song copy the original's first line, but then "quickly degenerat[e] into a play on words, substituting predictable lyrics with shocking ones . . . [that] derisively demonstrat[e] how bland and banal the Orbison song seems to them." 754 F. Supp., at 1155 (footnote omitted). Judge Nelson, dissenting below, came to the same conclusion, that the 2 Live Crew song "was clearly intended to ridicule the white bread original" and "reminds us that sexual congress with nameless streetwalkers is not necessarily the stuff of romance and is not necessarily without its consequences. The singers (there are several) have the same thing on their minds as did the lonely man with the nasal voice, but here there is no hint of wine and roses." 972 F. 2d, at 1442.

I'll miss Laura, and wish her the best.

MChambers
07-19-2016, 02:31 PM
Kudos to Keely.

Newspapers are a dying breed.

Lawyers? Not so much.

Seems like a prudent move.

Good luck to her.

The legal profession is dwindling, too, but someone who gets a law degree should have no problems finding a job. As a lawyer myself, however, I'm glad I'm over the hill and rolling down the other side.

Mike Corey
07-19-2016, 04:03 PM
The legal profession is dwindling, too, but someone who gets a law degree should have no problems finding a job. As a lawyer myself, however, I'm glad I'm over the hill and rolling down the other side.

Shrinking indeed, even though salaries at many of the nation's most powerful firms ticked up again recently (and controversially, according to some clients, predictably) for first-year associates.

The big problem (among many), as I see it: There are too many law school grads and too few jobs to timely help many of those students to pay off their loans due to tuition costs that have grown faster.

OldPhiKap
07-19-2016, 05:19 PM
The big problem (among many), as I see it: There are too many law school grads and too few jobs to timely help many of those students to pay off their loans due to tuition costs that have grown faster.

yup.

MChambers
07-19-2016, 07:59 PM
yup.

And software is replacing or reducing the need for entry level lawyer jobs, particularly as to discovery.

MartyClark
07-19-2016, 08:38 PM
Hopefully Laura will get on DBR in a year or so and start a thread on the rule against perpetuities.

Dukehky
07-19-2016, 08:46 PM
Shrinking indeed, even though salaries at many of the nation's most powerful firms ticked up again recently (and controversially, according to some clients, predictably) for first-year associates.

Do better than most of the kids in your class and you're all set though.

OldPhiKap
07-19-2016, 09:51 PM
Hopefully Laura will get on DBR in a year or so and start a thread on the rule against perpetuities.

Yeah, but it would take me twenty-one years to understand. Plus a life in being.

Mike Corey
07-19-2016, 10:22 PM
Do better than most of the kids in your class and you're all set though.

No doubt. That leaves a lot of folks in a tough spot, however, which is no secret to would-be law students...which is why the application numbers have plummeted.

sagegrouse
07-19-2016, 10:30 PM
I will also give congratulations to Laura. It's a big move, and she should be well-prepared to benefit from it. Maybe she'll be the top sports agent in America.

Indoor66
07-20-2016, 07:38 AM

I would rather brush up on the Rule in Shelley's Case.

rasputin
07-20-2016, 10:42 AM
I would rather brush up on the Rule in Shelley's Case.

I'll go with the doctrine of worthier title.

OldPhiKap
07-20-2016, 10:51 AM

It turns out that possession is, in fact, nine-tenths of the law.

It also carries a mandatory minimum.

Pghdukie
07-20-2016, 02:09 PM
When Laura gets established in her new profession, Will we have to call her and her partners "The New Dream Team". All kidding aside, best wishes to her ! An education is a wonderful thing.

MCFinARL
07-20-2016, 11:02 PM
Yeah, but it would take me twenty-one years to understand. Plus a life in being.

Or maybe several lives in being.

OldPhiKap
07-20-2016, 11:28 PM
Or maybe several lives in being.

I won't lie -- I calculated how many questions I could get wrong to pass the bar exam, calculated how many questions about the rules agains perpetuity could really be on the exam, figured how many folks would know the answers as opposed to guessing -- and figured I would nor worry about it.

Passed the bar, and have practiced now for a quarter century. Still not relevant to anything I do.

Jim3k
07-21-2016, 12:42 AM

Oh, c'mon. It's got to be the doctrine of dependent relative revocation. It's been on every bar exam since I first took one in 1967. And god knows how many years before that. ;)

Of course, now I can't remember what it was. No, don't link a definition. It will bring on the Big One. :rolleyes:

sue71, esq
07-21-2016, 01:39 AM
Passed the bar, and have practiced now for a quarter century. Still not relevant to anything I do.

Remind me to use this quote next week. ;)

Dukehky
07-22-2016, 05:48 PM
Remind me to use this quote next week. ;)

I'm going to own this board via adverse possession.

burnspbesq
07-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Oh, c'mon. It's got to be the doctrine of dependent relative revocation. It's been on every bar exam since I first took one in 1967. And god knows how many years before that. ;)

Of course, now I can't remember what it was. No, don't link a definition. It will bring on the Big One. :rolleyes:

California loves irself some DRR. It was on the exam in February 1987 when I took it. I've never heard of there being a DRR question in any other state.

MartyClark
07-22-2016, 06:04 PM
I won't lie -- I calculated how many questions I could get wrong to pass the bar exam, calculated how many questions about the rules agains perpetuity could really be on the exam, figured how many folks would know the answers as opposed to guessing -- and figured I would nor worry about it.

Passed the bar, and have practiced now for a quarter century.
Still not relevant to anything I do.

I passed the bar 39 years ago. Another state bar 5 years later. I found I could cram a few facts about this into my mind for a brief period of time, enough gain confidence to take a bar exam.

About 10 years ago, I had a complicated commercial case involving an oil well. I was stunned, and baffled, when my opponent began talking about the Rule Perpetuities. I think the judge was more stunned and quickly shut it down. Thank goodness.

Jim3k
07-22-2016, 08:16 PM
California loves irself some DRR. It was on the exam in February 1987 when I took it. I've never heard of there being a DRR question in any other state.

Arizona in 1967 and later in Washington state (1972). DRR was there for both. I passed those on the first try. California took me three in the early eighties* (Seventeen years out of law school.) But each of the California exams had it (one was a fake-out and one was on the multi-state).
--------------
* Putting me in good company: Gov.& A.G. Jerry Brown, Gov. Pete Wilson, Antonio Villaraigosa (who never passed) and Kathleen Sullivan (Stanford Law Dean.)

OldPhiKap
07-22-2016, 09:53 PM
I passed the bar 39 years ago. Another state bar 5 years later. I found I could cram a few facts about this into my mind for a brief period of time, enough gain confidence to take a bar exam.

About 10 years ago, I had a complicated commercial case involving an oil well. I was stunned, and baffled, when my opponent began talking about the Rule Perpetuities. I think the judge was more stunned and quickly shut it down. Thank goodness.

My first case in our state Supreme Court was a cry pres doctrine case. Had no idea what that was before I took the case.

Merlindevildog91
07-23-2016, 12:30 PM

Virginia didn't have one in 1991. Had a lot of other gibberish, though.

hallcity
07-26-2016, 11:04 AM
Laura Keely talks (https://twitter.com/dijana_kunovac/status/757948154847358977) about the reasons why she's leaving reporting for law school.

I think she underestimates the demands of law school and law practice. It really is a jealous mistress.

cato
07-26-2016, 11:12 AM
Laura Keely talks (https://twitter.com/dijana_kunovac/status/757948154847358977) about the reasons why she's leaving reporting for law school.

I think she underestimates the demands of law school and law practice. It really is a jealous mistress.

She should be able to handle the demands of law school. She's had a real job for many years, and she is good at it. I assume she has a good work ethic, I know she can write well, and she will be taking school seriously. She will be up for the task.

Practicing law is much more challenging. Did she say if she wants to pursue being an agent? One of my friends is an agent, and it's interesting, but very demanding in its own right.

westwall
07-26-2016, 09:36 PM

OTOH, took and passed the DC bar in 1962 -- largely due to a recent decision we had studied in my Federal Jurisdiction course that appeared , and I remembered, on the exam. Then practiced 'big case' patent lit in Federal Courts for 50 yrs, but found that one course was very relevant to much that I did. Whew!

luburch
07-28-2016, 11:24 AM
Here's more on Keeley leaving the Duke beat and some information on the sit-down she had with Duke officials after the K/Woj article http://raleighco.com/media-circus/keeley-explains-why-shes-leaving-nos-duke-beat-for-law-school/

cato
07-28-2016, 01:02 PM
Here's more on Keeley leaving the Duke beat and some information on the sit-down she had with Duke officials after the K/Woj article http://raleighco.com/media-circus/keeley-explains-why-shes-leaving-nos-duke-beat-for-law-school/

Excellent link, luburch. I was disappointed to see the weak sauce from Jon Jackson, the guy in the AD's office who snubbed Laura during the sit down after her article on Woj's hit piece. He "declined to comment," but went on to say that he didn't want to make public any details from a "meeting that was intended to be private among professional colleagues."

Jon, if you don't want to comment, don't comment. Taking a little backhanded slap at the woman who called you out does not make you look any better.

I will miss Laura.

killerleft
07-29-2016, 12:52 AM
Excellent link, luburch. I was disappointed to see the weak sauce from Jon Jackson, the guy in the AD's office who snubbed Laura during the sit down after her article on Woj's hit piece. He "declined to comment," but went on to say that he didn't want to make public any details from a "meeting that was intended to be private among professional colleagues."

Jon, if you don't want to comment, don't comment. Taking a little backhanded slap at the woman who called you out does not make you look any better.

I will miss Laura.

Yep. Not Duke's finest hour. Not Laura's best piece, by any means, but calling her and her editor on the carpet was bush league.

Reisen
07-29-2016, 10:24 AM
Great link. I actually found the most interesting part about the competition from in-house media.

Duke has a unique advantage there in the quality of the school, and the talent it attracts. Guys like Scheyer, who was given as an example in the article. They're likely smart enough, and well educated enough, to contribute both directly to the basketball program, and also indirectly to the basketball brand through media.

That has to be hard for the N&O when the University itself is putting out high quality content.

johnb
07-29-2016, 11:03 AM
Great link. I actually found the most interesting part about the competition from in-house media.

Duke has a unique advantage there in the quality of the school, and the talent it attracts. Guys like Scheyer, who was given as an example in the article. They're likely smart enough, and well educated enough, to contribute both directly to the basketball program, and also indirectly to the basketball brand through media.

That has to be hard for the N&O when the University itself is putting out high quality content.

Congrats to Ms. Keeley. She's sharp, insightful and writes well and quickly; she has the makings of an excellent lawyer.

I trust her perspective on the Duke meeting (sounds like bullying, and I have no reason to think that bullying wasn't Jackson's intention).

She makes an excellent point about the in-house competition, which is only going to intensify with an ACC network. Why give away the milk for free when you plan to skin the cow? Or something like that.

The USA basketball marketing issue is also interesting, and most interesting issues in the world are overdetermined and complicated. I assume K's involvement with USA is no different. K is the perfect coach for the national team: West Point, etc. It's a great challenge to coach the best players in the world, and he'd already mastered the basic job of running a college program. At the same time, K is obviously interested in recruiting the Okafors and Giles type players to Duke and is very interested in extending his personal records and enhancing his own bank account. He was not a good loser early in his career, and, while he is more tactful these days after a loss, it's not hard to see that his competitive fires burn brightly. Including winning in the court of public opinion.

I'm a fan, and I don't like to hear or read Duke sniping, especially if it's a little over the top and a little unfair. Keeley is/was a journalist, however, and is/was paid to provide insights. It's useful to be reminded that that she had to peel back her insights in order to gain further access and that the program inevitably has its own agenda--and that the program has a publicity machine that is better funded than than the newspaper that employed her.

OldPhiKap
07-29-2016, 11:45 AM

Dave Harding rocks. He has a good future in sports broadcasting I think.

CameronBornAndBred
07-29-2016, 12:25 PM

Agreed, but it's also biased content. As a fan, I will read every word with a smile, but it's always good to get the point of view from the outside perspective as well. Even though some of it makes me cringe, I will always appreciate an honest critique. Bright side, the internet is a huge place and there is plenty of room for both...fans like us will likely read anything to satiate our hunger. (And casual/non-fans probably don't see the Duke produced pieces as nearly as often as they do those put out by the other media outlets.)

CameronBornAndBred
07-29-2016, 12:27 PM
Dave Harding rocks. He has a good future in sports broadcasting I think.

Yes he does! He's been fun to watch as he's progressed from the field to the media.

RPS
08-02-2016, 02:00 PM

You'll thank me later.

At the risk of being overly self-serving, I told a story about the wonderful Duke prof who taught me about Pennoyer v. Neff here (https://rpseawright.wordpress.com/2014/09/26/what-youre-vacillatin-between/).

Indoor66
08-02-2016, 02:40 PM
At the risk of being overly self-serving, I told a story about the wonderful Duke prof who taught me about Pennoyer v. Neff here (https://rpseawright.wordpress.com/2014/09/26/what-youre-vacillatin-between/).

There are many of who fondly remember J. Phatty Rascal.

rasputin
08-02-2016, 03:11 PM

I'm one of 'em.

duke79
08-02-2016, 04:05 PM

LOL........ah yes, Professor Paschal......one of my LEAST favorite professors in law school!!! I had him for "civ pro" first year at Duke Law. IMHO, just a very grumpy and not-very-pleasant human being. LOL. I have vague memories of being called on when I was not fully prepared for class and it was NOT a pleasant experience. LOL.

RPS
08-02-2016, 04:11 PM
As I recall, for the first several classes of the year in Civil Procedure, our esteemed professor asked a number of questions in class, with the correct answer to each being, "He [she/the company] filed a Complaint." We eventually caught on.

hallcity
08-15-2016, 05:01 PM
When is the N&O going to name a replacement for Keeley? Will they name a replacement? Football season is nearly upon us.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-15-2016, 05:29 PM
I seem to recall that he drove an old jalopy with old "Indian blankets" draped across the back seat to cover the depleted upholstery.

arnie
08-15-2016, 05:39 PM
When is the N&O going to name a replacement for Keeley? Will they name a replacement? Football season is nearly upon us.

Hopefully they don't assign to Andrew Carter as a "when you get around to it" assignment.

Indoor66
08-15-2016, 06:17 PM
I seem to recall that he drove an old jalopy with old "Indian blankets" draped across the back seat to cover the depleted upholstery.

The irrepressible Mr Paschal would purchase an old beater to drive from home in Duke Forest to the Law School. He maintained a fine car for his wife to drive.

Devil in the Blue Dress
08-15-2016, 07:44 PM
The irrepressible Mr Paschal would purchase an old beater to drive from home in Duke Forest to the Law School. He maintained a fine car for his wife to drive.
Yes, I remember the distinction between his school car and her car!

Olympic Fan
08-16-2016, 05:59 PM
I talked to a member of the N&O Sports staff a couple of days ago.

He told me that the N&O would be hiring an outsider to be the new Duke beat writer (so no fears of Andrew Carter!). He said they actually offered the job to a great candidate a few days ago, but that person got a better job offer and moved on. He said they had several very strong candidates still lined up and he expected a new hire in a few days.

sagegrouse
08-16-2016, 06:18 PM

He told me that the N&O would be hiring an outsider to be the new Duke beat writer (so no fears of Andrew Carter!). He said they actually offered the job to a great candidate a few days ago, but that person got a better job offer and moved on. He said they had several very strong candidates still lined up and he expected a new hire in a few days.

How about Ozzie? He'd be great!

OldPhiKap
08-16-2016, 06:53 PM

Everything is awesome,
Everything is cool
When you're part of the team . . . .

Count me in as a supporter of this idea.

chrishoke
08-16-2016, 09:32 PM

I don't believe Cut or the other football coaches would like that.

CameronBornAndBred
08-17-2016, 10:15 AM

I don't believe Cut or the other football coaches would like that.
Well, duh. It would take him away from his duties as OC!

CathyCA
08-17-2016, 10:54 AM

Wouldn't that take away from Ozzie's quest to become Athletic Director?

Indoor66
08-17-2016, 10:58 AM
Well, duh. It would take him away from his duties as OC!

...and rotating responsibilities at Mt. Hatemore....:cool:

chrishoke
08-17-2016, 06:39 PM
Luke DeCock @LukeDeCock
Congrats to @JessikaMorgan, our new Duke writer. And, more important, new mom, which is why she won't take over the beat until October.

burnspbesq
08-18-2016, 04:21 PM
Here's a little giggle: imagine Laura on a callback at Moore & Van Allen in the fall of 2019. The first interviewer: Bilas.

77devil
08-18-2016, 08:15 PM
Here's a little giggle: imagine Laura on a callback at Moore & Van Allen in the fall of 2019. The first interviewer: Bilas.

Well, it ain't Wachtell Lipton

Pghdukie
08-18-2016, 09:31 PM
Good Luck to Ms Morgan. She has huge shoes to fill. If she starts to falter - we can always nominate Ozzie. And if Ozzie fails, we'll just nominate Harrison Barnes. He doesn't seem to be doing anything lately !

BandAlum83
09-25-2016, 01:41 PM
I just saw this on an N&O sidebar of a Duke Football story:

Duke Now is your place for Blue Devil hoops and football. Beat writer Laura Keeley has up-to-the-minute news and an

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article104071521.html#storylink=cpy

I guess no one in their web division got the news.