07-15-2016, 12:12 AM
Looks like the guys are getting ready!

https://mobile.twitter.com/dukeblueplanet/status/753773889419960321/video/1

Love it!

Faison1
07-15-2016, 12:15 AM

I'm impressed by Luke's "right to the head". Those guys look like they know how to Box...

I suggest other teams avoid brawling with us this year.

DukieTiger
07-15-2016, 07:38 AM
This is going to be a typical offseason speculative post but Jeets looks pretty big and strong in this picture. But this is coming from the same person who posted similar things about Nick Horvath or Shav about a decade and a half ago.

https://instagram.com/p/BH2vIiyjIAA/

In all seriousness though, it makes me excited to think about what an additional offseason of adding strength will do for Chase!

fraggler
07-15-2016, 07:59 AM
This is going to be a typical offseason speculative post but Jeets looks pretty big and strong in this picture. But this is coming from the same person who posted similar things about Nick Horvath or Shav about a decade and a half ago.

https://instagram.com/p/BH2vIiyjIAA/

In all seriousness though, it makes me excited to think about what an additional offseason of adding strength will do for Chase!

Wow, he makes Giles look really small! I hope he put some of the muscle into his legs and core, too, as that is more important to keeping his balance when knocked around.

ChillinDuke
07-15-2016, 09:17 AM
Wow, he makes Giles look really small! I hope he put some of the muscle into his legs and core, too, as that is more important to keeping his balance when knocked around.

He certainly does look bigger. Good to see that he doesn't appear to have trouble adding bulk to his frame.

A good first indication for his presumed progression since last season.

- Chillin

PalmettoExpat
07-15-2016, 10:23 AM
I could see the boxing theme as this year's team poster.

GGLC
07-15-2016, 10:27 AM
Matt Jones looks like he's added muscle.

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-15-2016, 10:32 AM
I could see the boxing theme as this year's team poster.
Maybe they can have Grayson with his gloves on and standing over a knocked out Jaylen Johnson.

GGLC
07-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Maybe they can have Grayson with his gloves on and standing over a knocked out Jaylen Johnson.

This reminds me how fortunate we are to have Grayson coming back. Part of my brain can't process having a superstar for multiple seasons in college basketball any more, so I keep subconsciously forgetting that he's still on the team.

Wow.

BandAlum83
07-15-2016, 10:56 AM
This reminds me how fortunate we are to have Grayson coming back. Part of my brain can't process having a superstar for multiple seasons in college basketball any more, so I keep subconsciously forgetting that he's still on the team.

Wow.

Am I correct in saying that Grayson is the undisputed best returning college basketball player in the country next year? Who would be the contenders?

And BTW, Luke seems to have a wicked right cross.

flyingdutchdevil
07-15-2016, 11:02 AM

Wow.

Furthermore, Duke was going to be pre-season #1 WITHOUT Grayson Allen. And the best returning player in college basketball comes back with a roster that has it all minus a distributing PG. Scorers, rebounders, defenders, depth (not like Coach K will use it, but still)... I have never been this optimistic about Duke basketball before.

This season can't come soon enough.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-15-2016, 11:02 AM

If I'm an opposing player, this video makes me NOT want to take a charge from Matt Jones this year.

GGLC
07-15-2016, 11:04 AM
Furthermore, Duke was going to be pre-season #1 WITHOUT Grayson Allen. And the best returning player in college basketball comes back with a roster that has it all minus a distributing PG. Scorers, rebounders, defenders, depth (not like Coach K will use it, but still)... I have never been this optimistic about Duke basketball before.

Let's just cross our fingers that Harry and Amile are both 100 percent and ready to go by the time conference play starts -- and, of course, that we are lucky enough to avoid other significant injuries. *knocks on virtual wood*

If so, we will be astoundingly formidable.

flyingdutchdevil
07-15-2016, 11:04 AM
Am I correct in saying that Grayson is the undisputed best returning college basketball player in the country next year? Who would be the contenders?

Dillon Brooks, Monte Morris, Josh Hart, Nate Britt.

flyingdutchdevil
07-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Let's just cross our fingers that Harry and Amile are both 100 percent and ready to go by the time conference play starts -- and, of course, that we are lucky enough to avoid other significant injuries. *knocks on virtual wood*

If so, we will be astoundingly formidable.

IMO, Amile has 100% ready in March. He doesn't have me worried at all.

Harry? Huge question marks for Nov and Dec. IMO, I think he's off the bench until the ACC starts.

GGLC
07-15-2016, 11:09 AM

Every other player named a first, second, or third team All-American following the 2015-16 season was either a senior or an early entrant, as far as I can tell. So yeah, it looks pretty undisputed. Melo Trimble from Maryland is the closest competition for that honor that comes to mind, though someone else may be able to think of others. But Grayson's at the top.

devildeac
07-15-2016, 11:13 AM
Dillon Brooks, Monte Morris, Josh Hart, Nate Britt.

You forgot: Kennedy Meeks, Luke Maye and, let's see, who else am I forgetting from the cheaters down the road...

(hmm, pondering whether I should include a smilie here or not...)

flyingdutchdevil
07-15-2016, 11:16 AM
You forgot: Kennedy Meeks, Luke Maye and, let's see, who else am I forgetting from the cheaters down the road...

(hmm, pondering whether I should include a smilie here or not...)

According to Wheat, none will be as good as Nate Britt. Remember: Nate Britt would start at any school not named UNC.

Ichabod Drain
07-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Every other player named a first, second, or third team All-American following the 2015-16 season was either a senior or an early entrant, as far as I can tell. So yeah, it looks pretty undisputed. Melo Trimble from Maryland is the closest competition for that honor that comes to mind, though someone else may be able to think of others. But Grayson's at the top.

Josh Hart is up at the top of that list as well.

ChillinDuke
07-15-2016, 11:34 AM

Wow.

Very true.

And to add to the perspective, this is the first Duke team in the last ~10 years (maybe more) that is top to bottom outstanding everywhere. I'm not sure we've had such a ridiculously deep team in my time following religiously.

I just pulled up the Kyrie team to compare to because I thought that team might have been close. But it wasn't. It had seniors Kyle and Nolan, but pretty much everyone else (other than Kyrie) was a year or two away. Sophomores Andre, Seth, Mason, and Ryan. Junior Miles. Freshmen Josh and Tyler were essentially out of the picture. So an outstanding team at the top-3, but then a mixture of soon-to-be but not-yet NBA players.

At the top of this year's team is Grayson Allen and Amile Jefferson who should rival (but probably not quite match up to) Kyle and Nolan in terms of statistics. Add Matt Jones though and you're now ahead in terms of leadership / tone at the top. But also in terms of depth. Kyrie was the superstud that year - but we have two this year - and potentially more than two. I'm relatively confident that Luke can play / approximate a sophomore Seth (who averaged 25 mpg, 9 ppg, and 2 apg). As alluded to, I think Frank and Marquese will (clearly) outperform Josh and Tyler's freshman roles and productivity (a combined 3ppg, 2rpg, 1apg - presumably mostly in games of little consequence). I actually think Chase (or Marquese, one of the two) can pull off the Ryan Kelly role: 6.5 and 3.5 in 20 mpg. But if your mileage on that one varies, how about Sophomore Chase+Freshman Marquese = So. Ryan+So. Mason of 13.8 + 12.2 per 45mpg. They probably won't get that kind of run, but I think the per minute production can definitely be equaled and possibly exceeded.

I'll just stop there because you all get the point. We are just incredibly deep and have so much potential to be a monster.

Sorry, I know I'm just baiting this thread into another minutes discussion. So, in an (obviously vane) effort to get us back on topic...

Here comes Duke!

- Chillin

Troublemaker
07-15-2016, 11:39 AM

If using depth means playing a 9th player in the rotation regularly, probably not. BUT, Duke will get to hold conventional practices this year, which is nice. And those practices will be hard and highly competitive.

flyingdutchdevil
07-15-2016, 11:42 AM
If using depth means playing a 9th player in the rotation regularly, probably not. BUT, Duke will get to hold conventional practices this year, which is nice. And those practices will be hard and highly competitive.

Yup. Depth means using 8+ or all qualified players. And Duke has at least 8, likely 9 and potentially 10+ if a combination of Javin, Vrank, or Robinson are ready (likely not).

And agreed that practice is going to get intense.

Troublemaker
07-15-2016, 11:51 AM
Yup. Depth means using 8+ or all qualified players. And Duke has at least 8, likely 9 and potentially 10+ if a combination of Javin, Vrank, or Robinson are ready (likely not).

And agreed that practice is going to get intense.

Yes, and hopefully the depth and ability to practice will contribute to better regular season consistency. I'd like to see Duke finish in 1st place by itself in the ACC for the first time since 2006. (Yes, it's been that long for an outright/unshared 1st place finish.)

And then hopefully Duke has strong legs for a postseason run, of course.

MChambers
07-15-2016, 11:59 AM
When does this thread morph into a playing time discussion?

ChillinDuke
07-15-2016, 12:05 PM
When does this thread morph into a playing time discussion?

It already did.

Or, if you're a fan of The Matrix, it did before anyone even posted it.

Agreed. I'd also add that depth is not just about better quality practices. It's about having the ability (contrast with last year for example) to use different lineups and matchups depending on what's working in a particular game. (See: Kevin Love vs Golden State.) I'd venture a guess that if our team is as deep as we hope it is, then we still may only go 8 deep every game - but a different 8 from game to game.

At least I hope so. For once.

- Chillin

Olympic Fan
07-15-2016, 12:14 PM

ESPN noted that the "best player" (defined as the one who would have gone highest in the NBA draft) that is returning is Ivan Rabb of California. Also, Nigel Hayes of Wisconsin has to be in the discussion. Agree with Hart of Villanova, Brooks of Oregon and Trimble of Maryland being in the mix.

Allen is still, I think, the most accomplished college player returning. The NCAA doesn't recognize a third-team consensus All-American, but if there was one, he would have made it. He made second team Wooden, second team USA Today, second team Sporting News, third team AP and third team NABC. Not quote enough for second-team consensus, but close.

Troublemaker
07-15-2016, 12:17 PM
Agreed. I'd also add that depth is not just about better quality practices. It's about having the ability (contrast with last year for example) to use different lineups and matchups depending on what's working in a particular game. (See: Kevin Love vs Golden State.) I'd venture a guess that if our team is as deep as we hope it is, then we still may only go 8 deep every game - but a different 8 from game to game.

At least I hope so. For once.

- Chillin

Right, and opponent-specific game-planning can show up in other ways as well. Even if we don't show a variety of 8-man rotations, there will hopefully be a variety of tactics. For example, Duke didn't show variety on pick-n-roll coverages last season but this season, I think we'll be able to see Duke play PNR different ways -- switch, ice, blitz, etc. -- depending on the opponent. The only way you can play it different ways is if you have developed those different ways in practice.

ChillinDuke
07-15-2016, 12:21 PM
Right, and opponent-specific game-planning can show up in other ways as well. Even if we don't show a variety of 8-man rotations, there will hopefully be a variety of tactics. For example, Duke didn't show variety on pick-n-roll coverages last season but this season, I think we'll be able to see Duke play PNR different ways -- switch, ice, blitz, etc. -- depending on the opponent. The only way you can play it different ways is if you have developed those different ways in practice.

Further agreed. But I'll temper this further agreement because the weighted average age of our team is still very much on the young side. It's not just pre- and mid-season practices that help with the variety of tactics. It's also age/experience.

- Chillin

CDu
07-15-2016, 12:27 PM

I guess it depends on the criteria used. Allen is easily the most accomplished (individual) returning player, both statistically and in terms of individual awards. He may or may not be the highest-projected returning player according to draftniks. Ivan Rabb and Jaron Blossomgame are certainly in the discussion there due to physical profile.

But yeah, in any regard, Allen is on a very short list of top players returning.

BigZ
07-15-2016, 04:02 PM
I guess no Grayson b/c kicking isn't allowed in boxing

devildeac
07-15-2016, 04:14 PM
I guess no Grayson b/c kicking isn't allowed in boxing

Well, there's MMA...

;)

subzero02
07-15-2016, 04:48 PM
Well, there's MMA...

;)

Sweep the leg...

phaedrus
07-15-2016, 05:14 PM
ESPN noted that the "best player" (defined as the one who would have gone highest in the NBA draft) that is returning is Ivan Rabb of California. Also, Nigel Hayes of Wisconsin has to be in the discussion. Agree with Hart of Villanova, Brooks of Oregon and Trimble of Maryland being in the mix.

Allen is still, I think, the most accomplished college player returning. The NCAA doesn't recognize a third-team consensus All-American, but if there was one, he would have made it. He made second team Wooden, second team USA Today, second team Sporting News, third team AP and third team NABC. Not quote enough for second-team consensus, but close.

For reference, Hart made third team NABC and Brooks made third team Sporting News. No other returning player made a single one of these All-America teams - although Trimble made Sporting News second team as a freshman.

Furniture
07-16-2016, 07:11 PM
Nice interview with Chase Jeter!
https://dukeblueplanet.exposure.co/continued-growth

Furniture
07-16-2016, 08:10 PM
Didn't see this anywhere!6535

Saratoga2
07-16-2016, 08:27 PM
Nice interview with Chase Jeter!
https://dukeblueplanet.exposure.co/continued-growth

Good for him. He has the right mindset and no doubt will be a more competitive player this season. With our talent in the front court, we should be very tough to matchup with.