PDA

View Full Version : The Open Championship 2016

Tripping William
07-13-2016, 05:27 PM
Royal Troon is the host this week, what with its Postage Stamp 8th (with The Coffin along the right side), and its Railway 11th, and gorse, and a firth, and Scottish links-golf as far as the eye can see. Golfers start knocking it around beginning at 1:35 a.m. Eastern tomorrow morning (06:35 BST).

Given how I dog-gak'ed all over myself in predictions about the U.S. Open (both men's and women's, actually), I'm not going on the record about who will hoist the Claret Jug. Others may feel so inclined. I'm just hoping for great theater on the way to crowning The Champion Golfer of the Year.

Do your stuff, DBR . . . .

Dr. Rosenrosen
07-13-2016, 06:53 PM
I love the Open. Waking up and having championship golf on in the morning while drinking my coffee is a treat.

brevity
07-13-2016, 07:36 PM
So... the British Open?

I'll bypass my occasional rant about how "Open Championship" sounds meaningless if you are neither royal nor ancient, and simply post a PGA.com article (http://www.pga.com/news/news-feature/open-championship-whats-in-name) on that exact subject.

The British Open?

"That's what it is," Nicklaus said.

Has he ever referred to the major he won three times as The Open?

"Sure, when I'm over there," he said. "Over here, people don't know what The Open Championship is. It's 'The Open Championship of the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews.' If it's The Open Championship, it could be the U.S. Open, the Australian Open, the Japanese Open."

Tripping William
07-13-2016, 09:34 PM
So... the British Open?

I'll bypass my occasional rant about how "Open Championship" sounds meaningless if you are neither royal nor ancient, and simply post a PGA.com article (http://www.pga.com/news/news-feature/open-championship-whats-in-name) on that exact subject.

I figure, "When in Troon ....."

throatybeard
07-14-2016, 07:54 AM
I'm glad I have the Golf Channel. Took me a second to figure out where it was once the Mouse let me down.

duke79
07-14-2016, 11:41 AM
So... the British Open?

Yea, at least somewhat pompous and arrogant to call it "The Open". Reminds me of when Harvard and Yale grads refer to the H-Y football game as "The Game." UGH.

chris13
07-14-2016, 12:02 PM
Yea, at least somewhat pompous and arrogant to call it "The Open". Reminds me of when Harvard and Yale grads refer to the H-Y football game as "The Game." UGH.

The worst example of this are the orange car window stickers you see around Charlottesville that read "THE UNIVERSITY". If you were Harvard, maybe you could get away with that, but not UVa.

Mal
07-14-2016, 12:23 PM

I don't know. I don't really see it as terribly pompous - it was the first, after all, so it seems a bit pushy to expect the British to add an adjective where they don't feel it necessary. I doubt they mean to imply that it's better or more prestigious than the U.S. Open, but are rightly proud that it predates any other continuously running modern sporting event.

I'm sort of torn on the usage by Americans, though. On the one hand, it's always been known (until about the last 5-10 years) in the States as the British Open, and that mostly because we have our own rather prestigious open national golf championship, so it can be confusing to use just "the Open." On the other hand, it's what the Brits refer to it as, and I don't have a huge issue with respecting that. Referring to the winner as Champion Golfer of The Year, though? Even the Brits only do that tongue in cheek*. To hear it here kind of smacks of hipster Anglophile pretension. Like using the words "pitch," "kit" and "side" instead of "field," "uniform" and "team" as an American when discussing soccer. We have our own perfectly useful words for those things, which we used for decades before people started heading to bars to watch EPL games on Saturday mornings. Likewise adopting "FC" and "Real" and whatever else when naming our MLS teams. We use [city name] [mascot] nomenclature for athletic teams here.

Also, GET OFF MY LAWN. Wait, what were we talking about? Oh, yeah, golf. I wouldn't be shocked to see Dustin keep on rolling now that he's conquered the demons. Then again, I would have picked Day before he went out and shot 2-over in beautiful conditions.

* I love Mike Tirico, but I lay a lot of this at his feet, as it seems like he was the first to start this trend.

Tripping William
07-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Even the Brits only do that tongue in cheek*. .....

Wait, what were we talking about? Oh, yeah, golf. I wouldn't be shocked to see Dustin keep on rolling now that he's conquered the demons. Then again, I would have picked Day before he went out and shot 2-over in beautiful conditions.

* I love Mike Tirico, but I lay a lot of this at his feet, as it seems like he was the first to start this trend.

I'm not quite seeing the tongue-in-cheek part in watching these trophy presentations (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEyAIA3lWrw), which sure seem to pre-date Mike Tirico.

In any case, right now Phil is the story of the day, at -6 through 15 (and a one-shot lead over Patrick Reed).

Indoor66
07-14-2016, 01:42 PM
To me "The Open" will always be quite pretentious. Fine for Britain but not apropos for the US or the rest of the world. There is The U. S. Open, the Canadian Open, The Australian Open, The British Open, etc. The snobs and Anglophiles can have their "Open."

Olympic Fan
07-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Apparently the wind wasn't blowing at Troon today -- some incredibly low scores.

Topped by Phil Mickleson, who finished at 63 -- tying the lowest 18-hole score in history at any of the four majors. In fact, he lipped out a putt on the 18th that would have given him a 62.

That gives him a three-shot lead over Martin Kaymer and Patrick Reed at 66, plus a ton of golfers at minus-4 67.

http://espn.go.com/golf/leaderboard?tour=pga&tournamentId=2505

I'm not a big golf expert, but it seems to me that the US Open controls scores with deep rough, fast greens and tough pin placements, while the British Open courses depend on chronically bad weather to make it tough. When the weather is good -- like today -- the golfers crush the course. But the wind may blow tomorrow and a plus-one could be a great score.

Tripping William
07-14-2016, 04:09 PM
Apparently the wind wasn't blowing at Troon today -- some incredibly low scores.

Topped by Phil Mickleson, who finished at 63 -- tying the lowest 18-hole score in history at any of the four majors. In fact, he lipped out a putt on the 18th that would have given him a 62.

That gives him a three-shot lead over Martin Kaymer and Patrick Reed at 66, plus a ton of golfers at minus-4 67.

http://espn.go.com/golf/leaderboard?tour=pga&tournamentId=2505

I'm not a big golf expert, but it seems to me that the US Open controls scores with deep rough, fast greens and tough pin placements, while the British Open courses depend on chronically bad weather to make it tough. When the weather is good -- like today -- the golfers crush the course. But the wind may blow tomorrow and a plus-one could be a great score.

The lip-out can be viewed, from two perspectives, here (http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/watch-mickelson-lips-out-putt-first-62-major-history/). It is excruciating, but his caddy's reaction (in the second video down) is absolutely priceless.

Also, if you're superstitious about golf (and, well, who isn't) listen closely on the first video, as the Golf Channel announcer prematurely calls Phil's birdie putt as "in" only to see it stay "not-in." I play with a lot golfers who get to the point of nearly throttling someone who calls their putt, although naturally Phil didn't actually hear the broadcaster call it. But now, of course, Phil will lose the tourney by a single stroke, and we'll know the reason why . . .

Agree with Oly about the general tendency/set-up; only thing I think I'd change is to use "whilst" because, well, it would make me seem even more like a hipster Anglophile. ;) If the weather turns bad and the wind starts to blow on Troon's inward nine, look for scores to balloon. If not, the course can be had (as Lefty, et al., proved today).

dudog84
07-14-2016, 11:16 PM
Someone please explain to me how this is any worse than calling our baseball championship "The World Series".

YmoBeThere
07-15-2016, 02:14 AM
I'm not sure why they call it the Super Bowl. Most of the time, the ads are the best part. Shouldn't it be called the Ad Bowl?

YmoBeThere
07-15-2016, 02:25 AM
I'm not a big golf expert, but it seems to me...

Are you a miniature golf expert at least? :rolleyes:

Okay, okay, please go easy on me. It is 1:25 AM local time and I was awakened 15 minutes ago by one of the family pets puking on my feet.

Indoor66
07-15-2016, 08:01 AM
Are you a miniature golf expert at least? :rolleyes:

Okay, okay, please go easy on me. It is 1:25 AM local time and I was awakened 15 minutes ago by one of the family pets puking on my feet.

Were they watching "The Open"?

sagegrouse
07-15-2016, 08:34 AM
To me "The Open" will always be quite pretentious. Fine for Britain but not apropos for the US or the rest of the world. There is The U. S. Open, the Canadian Open, The Australian Open, The British Open, etc. The snobs and Anglophiles can have their "Open."

Uhhh, yes. "And is this golf or tennis?"

Olympic Fan
07-15-2016, 11:50 AM
Conditions not much tougher today -- a lot of scores in the red, topped by Henrik Stenson, who was an 6-under 65.

He's now just one shot behind Mickleson, who had a very credible 69 today and is -10 for the tournament.

Still, a ton of guys well under par ... going to be am exciting last two days.

I'm still hoping for at least one windy day to put these guys to the test.

PS I'm not a big miniature golf expert, but I do remember watching Billy Packer do the Putt-Putt Golf Tournaments on TV 30-40 years ago.

Tripping William
07-15-2016, 12:06 PM
Conditions not much tougher today -- a lot of scores in the red, topped by Henrik Stenson, who was an 6-under 65.

He's now just one shot behind Mickleson, who had a very credible 69 today and is -10 for the tournament.

Still, a ton of guys well under par ... going to be am exciting last two days.

I'm still hoping for at least one windy day to put these guys to the test.

PS I'm not a big miniature golf expert, but I do remember watching Billy Packer do the Putt-Putt Golf Tournaments on TV 30-40 years ago.

Agreed. The little I watched this morning (toward the end of Lefty's round), it was rainy but not very windy.

The only other two bits I'll add: (a) Jason Day started his round in danger of missing the cut, but is currently -3 on the day and well above the cut-line; and (b) Jordan Spieth is a shot below the cut-line through 10 holes, with a +3 for the round and the tourney. He'll need to make a bit of a move on the inward nine if he wants to play the weekend.

tbyers11
07-15-2016, 01:15 PM
The morning group today had pretty good conditions, but if you've been watching for the last hour or two things have switched to rainy and, especially, windy. There are only five players currently out there under par for the tourney.

CDu
07-15-2016, 01:45 PM
The morning group today had pretty good conditions, but if you've been watching for the last hour or two things have switched to rainy and, especially, windy. There are only five players currently out there under par for the tourney.

Yeah, if you played late yesterday and early today (like Mickelson did), you got really good weather. If you didn't, you got hosed.

Indoor66
07-15-2016, 01:47 PM
Yeah, if you played late yesterday and early today (like Mickelson did), you got really good weather. If you didn't, you got hosed.

You know, chap, the vicissitudes of The Open. :p:rolleyes::cool:

Tripping William
07-15-2016, 04:19 PM
You know, laddie, the vicissitudes of The Open. :p:rolleyes::cool:

FIFY.

The cut line was shifting around a bit somewhat late in the day, with some prospect that it could have moved very late up to +3, which would have kept Spieth and Watson from playing the weekend. But it didn't make that late shift, and ended at +4, sparing Jordan & Bubba (and Willett and Lawrie and Montie, and others).

Moving Day tomorrow, with Mickelson and Stenson in the final pairing.

Olympic Fan
07-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Conditions a bit tougher Saturday, although still not as tough as they sometimes are at Troon.

The round is not over, but right now just 13 red numbers out of 81 golfers left in the field -- nothing better than minus 3.

Both Mickelson and Stenson are minus-one through 11, so Lefty retains his one stroke lead ... so far.

jimsumner
07-16-2016, 03:34 PM
Stenson ends the day with a one-stroke lead that seems much larger.

it seemed like Mickelson had a 5-8 foot par putt every single hole. He made most of them. But he can sometimes have the yips. If he leaves himself a bunch of long par putts tomorrow, it could be a long day for him.

Tripping William
07-16-2016, 04:03 PM
Phil's Thursday lip-out looms large today. And could loom even larger tomorrow. Looks like basically match-play with Stenson, at this point.

NashvilleDevil
07-16-2016, 08:55 PM
Stenson ends the day with a one-stroke lead that seems much larger.

it seemed like Mickelson had a 5-8 foot par putt every single hole. He made most of them. But he can sometimes have the yips. If he leaves himself a bunch of long par putts tomorrow, it could be a long day for him.

Bold and silly prediction Stenson will fold before the back 9 tomorrow. Why you ask? He's got to save all his putts for the Ryder Cup this fall.

elvis14
07-17-2016, 11:43 AM
With the front 9 for the two leaders complete, I have to say that I'm really enjoying watching these two guys play today. I hope that neither 'folds' on the back 9 and that one just makes more great shots than the other to win. They played the front 9 at a very high level and finished where they started, Stenson up by one.

Olympic Fan
07-17-2016, 01:05 PM
Stenson up two after back to back birdies on 14 and 15

Tripping William
07-17-2016, 01:34 PM
Stenson white-hot with his putter to win by 3. Final round 63 tied Johnny Miller's final round in the Miracle at Oakmont. 20-under is lowest in <ahem> Open history, and ties Jason Day's lowest-to-par win at Whistling Straits last year. A worthy Champion Golfer of the Year.

NashvilleDevil
07-17-2016, 01:44 PM
That was an amazing round of golf. Wow!

Bob Green
07-17-2016, 02:10 PM
That was an amazing 18 holes of golf by both players. I was pulling for Phil but not against Stenson. It is always enjoyable to witness a player win his first Major Championship. Congratulations to Henrik Stenson on a tremendous win.

sagegrouse
07-17-2016, 03:17 PM
That was an amazing 18 holes of golf by both players. I was pulling for Phil but not against Stenson. It is always enjoyable to witness a player win his first Major Championship. Congratulations to Henrik Stenson on a tremendous win.

Ditto.

Phil trailed by one shot at the beginning of play; then he shot a six-under 65; but he lost by three shots. I feel for him.

Newton_14
07-17-2016, 03:45 PM
Stenson white-hot with his putter to win by 3. Final round 63 tied Johnny Miller's final round in the Miracle at Oakmont. 20-under is lowest in <ahem> Open history, and ties Jason Day's lowest-to-par win at Whistling Straits last year. A worthy Champion Golfer of the Year.

Just unreal golf. Mickelson shoots 65 with a couple of agonizing lip outs, no bogey's and loses by 3! Today was a historical performance from both guys, and I am thankful I was able to watch it, but I am bummed that Mickelson was not the winner. In my opinion he player an unbelievable round of golf for a Sunday Afternoon in a major, and just got beat by a guy who played perfect golf from Hole 2 to Hole 18.

Also, at one point today, Stenson and Mickelson had played 19 straight holes either tied with each other or within one shot of each other.

I feel bad for Phil. This wasn't a case of blowing up/falling a part, or playing good but not great...At least he can truly say he played as good as he could have possibly played and simply ran into a guy playing just a little bit "greater"

Furniture
07-17-2016, 03:53 PM
Very entertaining tv! Epic battle! Brilliant golf by both players. Could have gone either way really! Congrats to Henrick!

killerleft
07-18-2016, 08:15 AM
Great golf by two players. They lapped the field at least twice! Henrik deserved it, he played one of the all-time best majors of all time, and his last round was just amazing. Hard to believe he put it all in jeopardy at the last hole with that 'Normanesque' tee shot on 18.:confused:

Mickelson has to feel empty. He did enough to win just about any tournament at any other time. At the age of 46. I wonder if he'll contend again? Hope so. His putting was superb.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-18-2016, 08:20 AM
Great golf by two players. They lapped the field at least twice! Henrik deserved it, he played one of the all-time best majors of all time, and his last round was just amazing. Hard to believe he put it all in jeopardy at the last hole with that 'Normanesque' tee shot on 18.:confused:

Mickelson has to feel empty. He did enough to win just about any tournament at any other time. At the age of 46. I wonder if he'll contend again? Hope so. His putting was superb.

I disagree - Phil has been second in so many tournaments where he sorta blew it and could blame himself. But this weekend he played superb golf - Stenson was just a smidge better. Phil didn't appear too forlorn post-game.

I would think this would be less painful than some of his losses a few years ago. Sure a few putts slipped out instead of in, but he put on a great show and lost to an epic performance.

Channing
07-18-2016, 08:30 AM
I think I heard the state on M&M this morning that Mickelson wins all but 3 Open Championships and all but 12 majors that have ever been played with his performance. What a spectacular final round.

77devil
07-18-2016, 08:30 AM
I disagree - Phil has been second in so many tournaments where he sorta blew it and could blame himself. But this weekend he played superb golf - Stenson was just a smidge better. Phil didn't appear too forlorn post-game.

I would think this would be less painful than some of his losses a few years ago. Sure a few putts slipped out instead of in, but he put on a great show and lost to an epic performance.

You are right. Phil will never dwell on this compared to how he blew the U.S. Open at Winged Foot.

elvis14
07-18-2016, 09:28 AM
With the front 9 for the two leaders complete, I have to say that I'm really enjoying watching these two guys play today. I hope that neither 'folds' on the back 9 and that one just makes more great shots than the other to win. They played the front 9 at a very high level and finished where they started, Stenson up by one.

Well, I got what I hoped for. Neither player folded and one made more great shots to win. What a fantastic round of golf to watch. Like others, I was rooting for Phil but I was not upset at all that he didn't win because I wasn't rooting against Stenson. How good was Stenson? Phil shot a 65 and lost, he was that good! Wow.

killerleft
07-18-2016, 10:38 AM
Y'all may be right that Phil will recover from this loss better than some others. He said that the way the tournament transpired didn't help ease the loss. But that was within a few minutes of the end.

Certainly (I think) he won't be blaming himself for losing. And his play will encourage him that there may be more opportunities to pick up wins and another major or two.

Has Phil ever played this well in a major before? I don't think so. Only a handful of players have, really. One of them was Stenson. Maybe that comforts him. Maybe not.

Indoor66
07-18-2016, 11:56 AM
You are right. Phil will never dwell on this compared to how he blew the U.S. Open at Winged Foot.

He didn't enjoy Bethpage Black, either.

Jeffrey
07-18-2016, 12:01 PM
I've never seen the final pairing play that well on the last day of a major. IMO, both should be very pleased by their play. In particular, their putting was amazing, given the pressure. I loved seeing Tiger level confidence and play, without his arrogance and presence.

duketaylor
07-18-2016, 06:14 PM
I watched yesterday with a golfing buddy of mine and we were in awe. Another friend texted, "best final twosome ever." Couldn't agree more. Just amazing.

Golf's not always so boring.

DU82
07-18-2016, 06:52 PM
I watched yesterday with a golfing buddy of mine and we were in awe. Another friend texted, "best final twosome ever." Couldn't agree more. Just amazing.

Golf's not always so boring.

Some of us remember the battle between Watson and Nicklaus in 1977. These kids today have nothing on them. Now get off my lawn.

Tripping William
07-18-2016, 07:03 PM
Some of us remember the battle between Watson and Nicklaus in 1977. These kids today have nothing on them. Now get off my lawn.

From Nicklaus himself: Yesterday was "better."

https://instagram.com/p/BH_DmwcAjbK/

royalblue
07-18-2016, 08:40 PM
Just 9 more second place finishes and Phil will surpass Jack for most 2nd place results in major golf

Jeffrey
07-19-2016, 09:59 AM

IMO, a great man making a great statement. I don't recall Tiger ever making a comparable statement.

Rich
07-19-2016, 11:34 AM

Consider me impressed with Jack's correct use of "and me" as the object of the sentence, "Some in the media have already tried to compare today’s final round to 1977 at Turnberry, with Tom Watson and me in what they called the 'duel in the sun.'" Seems our society overly defaults to "and I" now, even when grammatically incorrect.

Sunday's golf was pretty good too!