PDA

View Full Version : Larry Brown out at SMU (update: now coaching high school?)

diablesseblu
07-08-2016, 09:31 AM
He's resigned.....no further explanation yet.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/16888334/larry-brown-steps-coach-smu-mustangs

luburch
07-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Poor Semi..

WiJoe
07-08-2016, 09:41 AM
Maybe he's going to become Huck's academic advisor.

:cool:

Edouble
07-08-2016, 09:43 AM
He had his cup of coffee... onto the next thing.

MChambers
07-08-2016, 10:36 AM
Always seems like he's got a suitcase packed, ready to move on. But he's getting up there in years, so I suppose this isn't surprising.

sagegrouse
07-08-2016, 11:54 AM
Always seems like he's got a suitcase packed, ready to move on. But he's getting up there in years, so I suppose this isn't surprising.

The prodigal son of UNC prodigaleth again.

ChillinDuke
07-08-2016, 12:00 PM

Larry Brown? Suitcase packed? Nahhhhh, couldn't be!

Per the article...

"Brown has coached the Denver Nuggets, New Jersey Nets, San Antonio Spurs, Los Angeles Clippers, Indiana Pacers, Philadelphia 76ers, Detroit Pistons, New York Knicks and Charlotte Bobcats. He also coached the Nuggets and Carolina Cougars in the ABA and won the 2004 NBA title with the Pistons.

He also coached at Kansas and UCLA. "

No matter how many times I see it, the shopping list always amazes me. That's 14 coaching stints in, what, 50 years of coaching? An average of less than 4 years per job?

- Chillin

77devil
07-08-2016, 12:04 PM

Per the article...

"Brown has coached the Denver Nuggets, New Jersey Nets, San Antonio Spurs, Los Angeles Clippers, Indiana Pacers, Philadelphia 76ers, Detroit Pistons, New York Knicks and Charlotte Bobcats. He also coached the Nuggets and Carolina Cougars in the ABA and won the 2004 NBA title with the Pistons.

No matter how many times I see it, the shopping list always amazes me. That's 14 coaching stints in, what, 50 years of coaching? An average of less than 4 years per job?

- Chillin

And he hit an NCAA violations trifecta.

ChillinDuke
07-08-2016, 12:30 PM
And he hit an NCAA violations trifecta.

You hear people talk about Millennials and their tendency to job hop. Kinda makes you wonder if they're confusing Millennials with the vast and unquantifiable number of people that have been influenced by Larry Brown over the last half century.

6 degrees of separation, the Larry Brown edition.

- Chillin

Olympic Fan
07-08-2016, 12:39 PM

Per the article...

- Chillin

Actually, it's 15 jobs -- two ABA teams, nine NBA teams and four (not three) college jobs.

The author missed one ... Brown was head coach at Davidson for almost two weeks in the 1960s.

That is the only one of his four college jobs where he didn't wind up on probation.

wsb3
07-08-2016, 01:27 PM
Actually, it's 15 jobs -- two ABA teams, nine NBA teams and four (not three) college jobs.

The author missed one ... Brown was head coach at Davidson for almost two weeks in the 1960s.

That is the only one of his four college jobs where he didn't wind up on probation.

If only he would have had more time....

kAzE
07-08-2016, 01:37 PM

+1 more job as the head coach of the disastrous 2004 version of Team USA in Athens.

OldPhiKap
07-08-2016, 01:40 PM
The thing I like about Larry Brown is, he remains so dislikable no matter where he goes or how long he lingers.

Reilly
07-08-2016, 01:48 PM
... Brown was head coach at Davidson for almost two weeks in the 1960s ...

July 1969 AP article. I didn't realize Holland had followed Lefty to Maryland as an assistant for that short duration.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1955&dat=19690703&id=98gtAAAAIBAJ&sjid=daAFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5118,1422341&hl=en

MChambers
07-08-2016, 02:13 PM
Gminski on Brown:

"But what a coach. If my son's career was based on a single game and I had to have one coach to win it, I'd pick Larry Brown. But I would never want my son to play for Larry Brown."

Full story here, mostly about Brown bailing on the Nets:

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2008/04/a_quartercentury_later_brown_s.html

CameronBornAndBred
07-08-2016, 02:18 PM
+1 more job as the head coach of the disastrous 2004 version of Team USA in Athens.

Coach K says thanks for the opportunity to show how it's done right.

chrishoke
07-08-2016, 02:18 PM
The thing I like about Larry Brown is, he remains so dislikable no matter where he goes or how long he lingers.

The thing I like "about" Larry Brown is Art Heyman.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-08-2016, 02:52 PM
Here's a less than flattering take (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/16892037/smu-coach-larry-brown-resignation-just-latest-act-selfishness) on ol' LB.

Quote:

The country is littered with his resignation papers, from Los Angeles, where he resigned ahead of the NCAA posse at UCLA, to New Jersey, where he bolted after the Nets stumbled; in American's heartland, where he departed Kansas amid more NCAA trouble; and in the South, where he decided not to join the Carolina Cougars when they relocated to St. Louis; from the West, where he left the Denver Nuggets after two years, to the Southwest, where he left the Spurs midway through the season.

You could call that nomadic.

Narcissistic would be more accurate.

On April 7, 1969, Brown landed his first head-coaching job, using his connections with his college coach Dean Smith, to get the top gig at Davidson. In a newspaper clipping from The Dispatch, the 28-year-old Brown said, "I will be coaching at a school I have always respected and I hope we can carry on the same high traditions.''

On July 3, 1969 -- a whopping 91 days later -- he left Davidson to carry on those high traditions without him, resigning his position. He hadn't so much as coached a practice, let alone a game (his tenure was so short, in fact, it doesn't even make his Wikipedia bio page). He later claimed the school didn't live up to its promises.

CrazyNotCrazie
07-08-2016, 03:13 PM
I think that if Larry wanted to work again it would likely have to be in the NBA. I believe SMU has reduced scholarships for the next few years - I'm not sure if this falls under "show cause" rules for hiring but it really should. I don't think those rules applied after his past violations but nevertheless he was wise to wait things out a few years in the NBA before returning to college.

ipatent
07-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Great coach despite the shelf life and wanderlust. Went through jobs like Elizabeth Taylor went through husbands...except he could still get good jobs until the end. 76 years old and was demanding a new five year contract. Have to admire his chutzpah and drive.

53n206
07-09-2016, 10:15 AM
Does this imply that for some reason Roy will retire before season starts, and Brown will instantly be available to take his place?

MChambers
07-09-2016, 11:23 AM
Does this imply that for some reason Roy will retire before season starts, and Brown will instantly be available to take his place?

I'd be fine with that.

TruBlu
07-09-2016, 11:26 AM

Larry might as well go to a "school" where he couldn't land them on basketball probation, no matter how hard he tries.:mad:

Olympic Fan
07-09-2016, 01:04 PM

It would be interesting to see if Brown ever got a sniff at UNC -- even on the interim basis.

Back in 2000, when Bill Guthridge retired, Dean Smith (who was still calling the shots) wanted Roy Williams to get the job. Roy very famously visited UNC, privately accepted the job ... then returned to Kansas to resign, where he changed his mind and elected to stay in Lawrence.

Dean was disappointed, but he was okay because he knew he had Larry Brown dying to come to Chapel Hill. I think Brown was coaching the Nuggets at the time, but he had a clause in his contract -- in all his NBA contracts -- that gave him a free out if the UNC job came open. Brown never denied that the UNC job was his dream job.

This is the way they tell the story in Chapel Hill:

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2013/2/7/3964498/larry-brown-explains-why-he-never-got-the-unc-job

It gets a lot of the details right -- Dean did promise Larry the job if Roy turned it down. And Dick Baddour did fly to California for what turned into a humiliating two-hour lecture on why Brown couldn't have the job.

But the author of he article gets the reason for Brown's rejection wrong. It has nothing to do with a power struggle between Dean and Baddour -- Baddour was ALWAYS Dean's man -- Dean got Baddour the job and kept him in his pocket. No, the real reason that Brown didn't get the job was the new UNC Chancellor James Moeser. He arrived in Chapel Hill just two months before the job came open. He had come from a long stint at Nebraska. He was there when Brown was at Kansas and saw first-hand what a cheat he was. That didn't bother Dean, of course, but Moeser vetoed the job offer and Baddour had the painful duty of rejecting Brown.

UNC ended up with Matt Doherty ...

I have no idea whether anything or anybody would object to Brown now. UNC has embraced cheating and basically thumbed their nose at the NCAA. Back in 2000, the myth of "The UNC Way" was still in full swing ... and I suspect that Moeser had not been in the job long enough to understand the crooked foundation of the UNC basketball program (in 2000, it was still mostly a men's basketball scam ... it exploded to football, baseball, women's basketball and other sports under Moeser).

Now UNC and Brown would seem to be a perfect fit. And since Brown is a better actual coach than Roy Williams, he would probably have short-term (considering his age) success in Chapel Hill.

So I hope it never happens.

77devil
07-09-2016, 01:10 PM
It would be interesting to see if Brown ever got a sniff at UNC -- even on the interim basis.

Back in 2000, when Bill Guthridge retired, Dean Smith (who was still calling the shots) wanted Roy Williams to get the job. Roy very famously visited UNC, privately accepted the job ... then returned to Kansas to resign, where he changed his mind and elected to stay in Lawrence.

Dean was disappointed, but he was okay because he knew he had Larry Brown dying to come to Chapel Hill. I think Brown was coaching the Nuggets at the time, but he had a clause in his contract -- in all his NBA contracts -- that gave him a free out if the UNC job came open. Brown never denied that the UNC job was his dream job.

This is the way they tell the story in Chapel Hill:

http://www.tarheelblog.com/2013/2/7/3964498/larry-brown-explains-why-he-never-got-the-unc-job

It gets a lot of the details right -- Dean did promise Larry the job if Roy turned it down. And Dick Baddour did fly to California for what turned into a humiliating two-hour lecture on why Brown couldn't have the job.

But the author of he article gets the reason for Brown's rejection wrong. It has nothing to do with a power struggle between Dean and Baddour -- Baddour was ALWAYS Dean's man -- Dean got Baddour the job and kept him in his pocket. No, the real reason that Brown didn't get the job was the new UNC Chancellor James Moeser. He arrived in Chapel Hill just two months before the job came open. He had come from a long stint at Nebraska. He was there when Brown was at Kansas and saw first-hand what a cheat he was. That didn't bother Dean, of course, but Moeser vetoed the job offer and Baddour had the painful duty of rejecting Brown.

UNC ended up with Matt Doherty ...

I have no idea whether anything or anybody would object to Brown now. UNC has embraced cheating and basically thumbed their nose at the NCAA. Back in 2000, the myth of "The UNC Way" was still in full swing ... and I suspect that Moeser had not been in the job long enough to understand the crooked foundation of the UNC basketball program (in 2000, it was still mostly a men's basketball scam ... it exploded to football, baseball, women's basketball and other sports under Moeser).

Now UNC and Brown would seem to be a perfect fit. And since Brown is a better actual coach than Roy Williams, he would probably have short-term (considering his age) success in Chapel Hill.

So I hope it never happens.

Larry was coaching the 76ers at the time. The local sports writers had him all but gone. And he made it no secret how badly he wanted the job.

Spanarkel
07-09-2016, 01:12 PM
I recall watching the '90 Sweet Sixteen game against UCLA with several fellow Dukies in a San Antonio sports bar. The GTHC chant broke out often, and during one chant Coach Brown walked in to be seated. He was not amused. Of course he rarely looked happy anyway.

Olympic Fan
07-09-2016, 01:23 PM
Larry was coaching the 76ers at the time. The local sports writers had him all but gone. And he made it no secret how badly he wanted the job.

Thanks for the correction ... he moves so fast and often that I can't keep up.

But that does bring up another point ... the author of the UNC blog that I cited speculates that if Brown had gotten the job in 2000, he would have stayed 3-4 years, then been off again. I suspect the author of the blog is a kid and/or doesn't know Larry Brown.

I strongly believe that if Larry Brown had even gotten the UNC job, he would have held on to it for the rest of his career -- or until he was run out of town. Had Brown gotten the job in 2000, I think he would still be there, winning (and cheating his butt off).

sagegrouse
07-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the correction ... he moves so fast and often that I can't keep up.

But that does bring up another point ... the author of the UNC blog that I cited speculates that if Brown had gotten the job in 2000, he would have stayed 3-4 years, then been off again. I suspect the author of the blog is a kid and/or doesn't know Larry Brown.

I strongly believe that if Larry Brown had even gotten the UNC job, he would have held on to it for the rest of his career -- or until he was run out of town. Had Brown gotten the job in 2000, I think he would still be there, winning (and cheating his butt off).

The question I have about Brown is how he avoided getting around him a couple of close aides that would "repair the damage" of his personal relationships and keep the schools within the rules. Maybe it's a matter of lack of self-awareness; maybe no one could stand to work for him in that role.

There is no question in my mind about his genius at coaching hoops. But, channeling Kornheiser, who has known him for 50 years, after a couple of years as a coach at a school or franchise, he hates his players, and the players hate him. "Mutual hatred" is a good reason for moving on. But it's been repeated so often that you would think anyone would realize his tendencies and build a structure around himself that would compensate for the bad parts.

Sage
'I never met the guy, but I was there for the Brown-Heyman fight and the resulting melee'

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-09-2016, 02:24 PM
I am fine if Matt Doherty ends up back at UNC

BD80
07-09-2016, 02:25 PM

With a 5 year contract.

devildeac
07-09-2016, 02:29 PM
With a 5 year contract.

Why just 5?

timmy c
07-09-2016, 02:35 PM

Everyone believes in 2nd chances, right?

royalblue
07-09-2016, 03:38 PM
I like nothing about Brown other than Karl and Brown had USA basketball in bad enough shape that it felt like they were on probation. He is gifted in helping any school achive probation with little effort in that way he is "The Natural"
The NBA logo could have LB's silhouette on it considering that he has traveled more in the NBA than even Tyler H did on the hill.

OldPhiKap
07-09-2016, 03:54 PM

It should probably be Cal or Pitino. They seem to embody "the [true] Carolina Way"

devilish
07-09-2016, 08:12 PM
I recall watching the '90 Sweet Sixteen game against UCLA with several fellow Dukies in a San Antonio sports bar. The GTHC chant broke out often, and during one chant Coach Brown walked in to be seated. He was not amused. Of course he rarely looked happy anyway.

Ahh... the GTHC chant. How come we never hear that one anymore? It became politically incorrect to chant it at the Duke Unc game a few years back after one of their students was murdered. But time wounds all heals and they certainly must still go to hell.

AustinDevil
07-09-2016, 09:16 PM
[C]hanneling Kornheiser, who has known him for 50 years, after a couple of years as a coach at a school or franchise, he hates his players, and the players hate him. "Mutual hatred" is a good reason for moving on. But it's been repeated so often that you would think anyone would realize his tendencies and build a structure around himself that would compensate for the bad parts.

Sage
'I never met the guy, but I was there for the Brown-Heyman fight and the resulting melee'
I follow SMU very closely; those players love him, and I do think he loves them. Now, his tendency towards probation and his peripatetic nature--well, that's why Tim Jankovich has been there as coach-in-waiting from the start.

tteettimes
07-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Follow up

Time wounds all HEELS 😉😉

ipatent
07-10-2016, 11:09 AM
It should probably be Cal or Pitino. They seem to embody "the [true] Carolina Way"

Let's hope they stay in the family and don't hire someone like Brad Stevens.

OldPhiKap
07-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Let's hope they stay in the family and don't hire someone like Brad Stevens.

Agreed, Brad seems to be the top of every school's list -- perhaps us included.

devildeac
07-10-2016, 01:57 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer, more deserving cheater, err, fellow.

MChambers
09-20-2016, 07:49 PM
Looks like Brown has a new gig, at a high school:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/09/20/larry-brown-cant-retire-former-nba-champion-olympic-coach-mulling-high-school-job/

Maybe this is a stepping stone to the UNC job, when Roy retires next year? Larry will only be 77. A guy can dream, right?

awhom111
09-20-2016, 09:20 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/09/20/larry-brown-cant-retire-former-nba-champion-olympic-coach-mulling-high-school-job/

Maybe this is a stepping stone to the UNC job, when Roy retires next year? Larry will only be 77. A guy can dream, right?

A story came out recently that Italian team Cantu (known for such recent stunts as signing Ron Artest) was looking at Brown for their opening, but allegedly decided they wanted someone with coaching experience in Europe better than the 2004 Olympics.

OldPhiKap
09-20-2016, 10:05 PM

Can the NCAA out a high school team on probation?

Newton_14
09-20-2016, 10:54 PM

Please God, instruct this man to retire! (Yes oldtimers on DBR, I know Greybeard would rip me for sayin that).

Well, at least let him stay at the High School or Middle School levels. Maybe that's a good thing. He can teach the young bucks some skills before they do their one year cameo in college and then start their NBA careers...

Jim3k
09-20-2016, 11:24 PM

East Hampton? That's Montauk, the tip of Long Island. Teeth of the North Atlantic. Winter's going to be long, Larry, even if you think you're back home. I guess you can afford the rent but what's the high school gonna do when you leave them in the lurch?

ipatent
09-21-2016, 06:59 AM
He's peripatetic and a shady recruiter in college, but but have to admire the man's vitality and considerable coaching ability. Probably the best turnaround coach in history at any level, and he's had plenty of practice.

flyingdutchdevil
09-21-2016, 07:05 AM
He's peripatetic and a shady recruiter in college, but but have to admire the man's vitality and considerable coaching ability. Probably the best turnaround coach in history at any level, and he's had plenty of practice.

Iverson thought Brown had too much practice....

TKG
09-21-2016, 07:53 AM
Can high schools be put on probation? LB may be going for the four-bagger: Kansas, UCLA, SMU, LI High School! No one has done THAT before.

OldPhiKap
09-21-2016, 07:54 AM
East Hampton? That's Montauk, the tip of Long Island. Teeth of the North Atlantic. Winter's going to be long, Larry, even if you think you're back home. I guess you can afford the rent but what's the high school gonna do when you leave them in the lurch?

East Egg will never be the same, old chap.

BD80
09-21-2016, 08:01 AM
Please God, instruct this man to retire! ...

Well, the two did go to elementary school together ...

Of course, back then, there were only two elements.

The periodic chart was just a period...

Billy Dat
09-21-2016, 08:58 AM

The whole thing is bizarre. The Hamptons in the winter is classic resort town off season territory...there's nothing going on! Granted, it's not a long haul into NYC but we're also not talking about a hotbed of talent or even a dense population. This is decidedly small time local high school basketball.

Olympic Fan
09-21-2016, 05:32 PM
Can high schools be put on probation? LB may be going for the four-bagger: Kansas, UCLA, SMU, LI High School! No one has done THAT before.

The answer to your question is Yes ... both Everett Case (in basketball) and Ed Emory (in football) got both college and high school teams put on probation. Case did have a kind of four-bagger -- he got Frankfurt (Ind.) on probation twice ... and NC State on probation twice (plus the point shaving scandal ... can't blame him for that that), so he had a four-bagger of sorts, although at just two schools.

Emory was a piker -- he managed just one collegiate probation (ECU) and one prep probation (Richmond County HS).

jv001
09-21-2016, 05:37 PM
The answer to your question is Yes ... both Everett Case (in basketball) and Ed Emory (in football) got both college and high school teams put on probation. Case did have a kind of four-bagger -- he got Frankfurt (Ind.) on probation twice ... and NC State on probation twice (plus the point shaving scandal ... can't blame him for that that), so he had a four-bagger of sorts, although at just two schools.

Emory was a piker -- he managed just one collegiate probation (ECU) and one prep probation (Richmond County HS).

And I still hold Case and NC State in higher regard than those cheats on the hill. GoDuke!

TKG
09-21-2016, 05:47 PM

Damn! The things you learn hanging out with DBR-types. Thanks OF.

ChillinDuke
09-22-2016, 01:21 PM
The whole thing is bizarre. The Hamptons in the winter is classic resort town off season territory...there's nothing going on! Granted, it's not a long haul into NYC but we're also not talking about a hotbed of talent or even a dense population. This is decidedly small time local high school basketball.

Haha! I agree with everything you said. Completely bizarre. Although I wouldn't call it a short haul into Manhattan - it's an easy 2 hours driving, the first leg of which is a one lane road so anything is possible in terms of delays. And trains out there ain't frequent during the off...er...basketball season.

One very minor (but I'll make it major by blabbing on and on) clarifying point from an earlier poster, for those unfamiliar with Long Island geography/town incorporation (is there a word for town incorporation?). East Hampton =\= Montauk. Long Island technically has four counties: Queens, Kings (Brooklyn's legal county name), Nassau, and Suffolk. The first two counties (Queens and Kings) are obviously part of New York City, however they are geographically on Long Island (across the East River). For those of us from Long Island, Nassau and Suffolk are the counties that we mean when we say "Long Island". Now, within our counties, LI has formal towns which most other states would probably liken to counties. Towns have many different villages within them (LI is notorious for having tiny geographic areas which go by different names; it's nearly impossible to name every single incorporated village, haven, hamlet, town, and community on LI - many of them with their own schools, police stations, post offices, etc). And then within these larger, formal townships are actual towns that you think of Main Street/shops/restaurants.

This is all to say that Montauk is the very southeastern tip of LI and is a village within East Hampton town. East Hampton town encompasses the area from the eastern part of the Hamptons all the way out to the tip/Montauk, which actually spans about a one-hour drive. The high school that Larry was referring to is East Hampton High which appears to be in the western-most part of the township, close to the Hamptons proper. So as Billy Dat was saying above, he would be coaching the locals that actually live in the Hamptons/Montauk/summer towns year round - and these areas are not, really in any way, synonymous with basketball talent. Nor is there a particularly deep pool of families that resides in these neighborhoods year round.

Bizarre, indeed.

- Chillin

Olympic Fan
09-22-2016, 01:59 PM
Haha! I agree with everything you said. Completely bizarre. Although I wouldn't call it a short haul into Manhattan - it's an easy 2 hours driving, the first leg of which is a one lane road so anything is possible in terms of delays. And trains out there ain't frequent during the off...er...basketball season.

One very minor (but I'll make it major by blabbing on and on) clarifying point from an earlier poster, for those unfamiliar with Long Island geography/town incorporation (is there a word for town incorporation?). East Hampton =\= Montauk. Long Island technically has four counties: Queens, Kings (Brooklyn's legal county name), Nassau, and Suffolk. The first two counties (Queens and Kings) are obviously part of New York City, however they are geographically on Long Island (across the East River). For those of us from Long Island, Nassau and Suffolk are the counties that we mean when we say "Long Island". Now, within our counties, LI has formal towns which most other states would probably liken to counties. Towns have many different villages within them (LI is notorious for having tiny geographic areas which go by different names; it's nearly impossible to name every single incorporated village, haven, hamlet, town, and community on LI - many of them with their own schools, police stations, post offices, etc). And then within these larger, formal townships are actual towns that you think of Main Street/shops/restaurants.

This is all to say that Montauk is the very southeastern tip of LI and is a village within East Hampton town. East Hampton town encompasses the area from the eastern part of the Hamptons all the way out to the tip/Montauk, which actually spans about a one-hour drive. The high school that Larry was referring to is East Hampton High which appears to be in the western-most part of the township, close to the Hamptons proper. So as Billy Dat was saying above, he would be coaching the locals that actually live in the Hamptons/Montauk/summer towns year round - and these areas are not, really in any way, synonymous with basketball talent. Nor is there a particularly deep pool of families that resides in these neighborhoods year round.

Bizarre, indeed.

- Chillin

I don't understand why you guys think this is so bizarre. Granted the Hamptons are remote during the off-season (meaning during basketball season). But I thought the story was that Larry Brown actually lives there -- that's why he was considering the job. What does it matter if it's hard to get to in winter ... he's already there.

What am I missing?

trinity92
09-22-2016, 02:05 PM
During his stint with the Knicks he was a member at a lovely golf club in Bridgehampton that stays open to members all winter, although they do remove the pins. If he retained that membership, maybe that's his draw to the East End?

CrazyNotCrazie
09-22-2016, 02:24 PM
I don't understand why you guys think this is so bizarre. Granted the Hamptons are remote during the off-season (meaning during basketball season). But I thought the story was that Larry Brown actually lives there -- that's why he was considering the job. What does it matter if it's hard to get to in winter ... he's already there.

What am I missing?

For someone who is used to the bright lights and big cities, the Hamptons are incredibly quiet in the winter. I drove from Manhattan a few years ago at Christmas time to spend a day with friends in East Hampton. I thought it was a great escape from the city (and the drive is dramatically easier in the winter than in summer traffic) and there were more people around than I thought, but it was very quiet. As a high school basketball coach, he will have to be there 24/7 throughout the winter. Just doesn't seem like his style. Though I have a good friend who grew up near there and was a decent HS athlete and repeatedly claims that he faced decent competition throughout HS in basketball.

MChambers
09-22-2016, 02:27 PM
As a high school basketball coach, he will have to be there 24/7 throughout the winter. Just doesn't seem like his style.
Given Brown's history, it's quite possible that he resigns in the middle of the season.

ChillinDuke
09-22-2016, 02:33 PM

What am I missing?

Is he living there or "staying" there? Staying somewhere usually means temporarily, at least to me. But then again, it's Larry Brown, so maybe he doesn't actually "live" anywhere permanently.

Love him or hate him, Larry Brown is one of the best basketball minds of our time and one of the most well known (and well traveled) basketball coaches. Ever.

He turned a relative unknown SMU program into a Top-25 team.

For him to resign from SMU given his work there (probation or not) is interesting.

For him to want to continue coaching at his age (76) is odd.

For him to consider coaching at the high school level given his resume is crazy.

For him to consider coaching a high school with a total enrollment of 870 students across 4 grades in a remote township of about 20,000 with no basketball pedigree to speak of is, by my estimates, bizarre.

- Chillin

duke79
09-22-2016, 04:56 PM
Is he living there or "staying" there? Staying somewhere usually means temporarily, at least to me. But then again, it's Larry Brown, so maybe he doesn't actually "live" anywhere permanently.

Love him or hate him, Larry Brown is one of the best basketball minds of our time and one of the most well known (and well traveled) basketball coaches. Ever.

For him to resign from SMU given his work there (probation or not) is interesting.

For him to consider coaching at the high school level given his resume is crazy.

For him to consider coaching a high school with a total enrollment of 870 students across 4 grades in a remote township of about 20,000 with no basketball pedigree to speak of is, by my estimates, bizarre.

- Chillin

If the story is true (and there seemed to be some doubt in the news story linked?), it IS DEFINITELY bizarre BUT maybe he is one of those people who would be bored in a "normal" retirement and would enjoy the opportunity to teach and coach young people (even if they're not at the Division 1 or pro level) for something to keep him busy. I doubt he needs the money.

Edouble
09-22-2016, 05:22 PM

- Chillin

As an aside, in some corners, particularly the African-American community in Atlanta, and possibly other parts of the south, where you "stay" is the place where you live. They're synonyms. I hear people say all the time things like "I stay in Old Fourth Ward," which means that that person actually lives in Old Fourth Ward.

I am having trouble following the thread back to find who first wrote "stay" or if it is from the article.

ChillinDuke
09-22-2016, 05:36 PM
As an aside, in some corners, particularly the African-American community in Atlanta, and possibly other parts of the south, where you "stay" is the place where you live. They're synonyms. I hear people say all the time things like "I stay in Old Fourth Ward," which means that that person actually lives in Old Fourth Ward.

I am having trouble following the thread back to find who first wrote "stay" or if it is from the article.

Interesting, thank you for explaining.

"Stay" was a quote from Brown in the article.

- Chillin

rasputin
09-22-2016, 05:42 PM

African-Americans in other places (like Missouri) also use the phrase this way.

Jim3k
09-23-2016, 09:53 PM
When I first posted on this thread, I (knowingly) suggested that Brown would be almost home. That is, at least he grew up on Long Island. He is from Long Beach, NY in Nassau County, just outside Brooklyn (Kings County, h/t Chillin). Assuming he still has a family home in Long Beach it is still a 90 mile (2 hour) drive to East Hampton. I doubt he'd be making that commute. OTOH, if he lives in the Hamptons, a commute would be no problem. I doubt, despite my snark, that he'll be renting. Of course, like Rick Majerus , Eloise and Warren Beatty, perhaps he likes hotel living.

ipatent
09-24-2016, 08:25 AM
I doubt, despite my snark, that he'll be renting.

Imagine the total realtor's fees Larry Brown has paid out in his lifetime.