PDA

View Full Version : Bob Harris to retire

diablesseblu
07-05-2016, 02:32 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211052312

Mike Corey
07-05-2016, 02:36 PM
Oh, man. Very sorry to hear this news, but congratulations, Bob, on your retirement. Thank you for all you've done for Duke Athletics and for being the voice of the Blue Devils for four decades. Watching and listening to Duke games will never be the same.

weezie
07-05-2016, 02:47 PM
Wow, Bob deserves a wonderful retirement but we'll miss him terribly. I'll never forget his loyalty to Duke and his passion (a word used far too facetiously and too often elsewhere) for Duke sports.

A terrific person and a very kind man!

CrazyNotCrazie
07-05-2016, 02:52 PM
I'm sorry to hear it - he is a legend and a class act. He will be greatly missed. Hopefully his final game will be the national championship game. Between Bob and Vin Scully, it is a big year for broadcaster retirements. I can't imagine anyone filling those shoes.

sagegrouse
07-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Following the 2016-2017 basketball season.

SCMatt33
07-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Wow, Bob deserves a wonderful retirement but we'll miss him terribly. I'll never forget his loyalty to Duke and his passion (a word used far too facetiously and too often elsewhere) for Duke sports.

A terrific person and a very kind man!

His loyalty and passion were absolutely tremendous, in a way that will certainly be missed. I can remember many times actually becoming frustrated listening to his calls because that passion would occasionally interfere with his duties informing the listener as to what happened in a timely manner. I can't tell you how many times I was in the car and would hear him get really excited about the great diving effort a receiver made on third down only for him to say 10 seconds later that they were in punt formation because the pass was actually incomplete. Knowing that it came from a place of love and admiration for the athletes made it such an enjoyable experience overall.

Congratulations to Bob on such a wonderful career!

chrishoke
07-05-2016, 03:12 PM
Bob's finest moment.

Nifong vs Harris - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1J6BqjThE

OldPhiKap
07-05-2016, 03:21 PM
Sad, but certainly well-deserved.

Olympic Fan
07-05-2016, 03:32 PM
Bob's finest moment.

Nifong vs Harris - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1J6BqjThE

Concur ... Bob was excellent as a play-by-play man for almost 40 years, but I agree, this was his finest moment.

hallcity
07-05-2016, 03:54 PM
I hope the final game he calls is the first Monday in April 2017 and Duke wins.

BLPOG
07-05-2016, 03:59 PM
Congrats to Bob on a great career. I'll certainly miss his voice during broadcasts. I strongly encourage any readers in this thread to check out the quotes at the end of the GoDuke article - there's some really terrific praise.

DukeFanSince1990
07-05-2016, 04:08 PM
Following the 2016-2017 basketball season.

Hope he goes out on a high note!

Indoor66
07-05-2016, 04:17 PM
Happy for Bob - to get to have some peaceful time to enjoy Phyllis and the family.

Atldukie79
07-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Bob was, and is, a class act. A tremendous human being.
40+ years is phenomenal. And to think he only worked with 2 men's head basketball coaches in that time!

Lar77
07-05-2016, 04:52 PM
As many on this Board have said, listening to a Bob Harris broadcast is a pleasure, especially compared to the ESPN crews.

I've gotten to know many people in Stanly County who knew Bob as he was starting out and they all speak highly of him as a person and as a broadcaster.

Congratulations on a fabulous career and wish you well going forward.

devildeac
07-05-2016, 05:21 PM
"How sweet it is!"

MChambers
07-05-2016, 05:30 PM
When I see this, I hear "Bobby Hurley up the floor with Laettner. They throw it the length of the floor: Laettner catches, comes down, dribbles, shoots, SCCOOOOOREEEESSS!"

WakeDevil
07-05-2016, 05:39 PM
I hope Duke does better with its replacement than UNCheat did. And while we are at it, maybe Bob's partner will also call it quits.

dukelifer
07-05-2016, 06:33 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211052312

Win it for Bob!

tteettimes
07-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Blue Devil Bob......the best since Ad Penfield
Thanks Bob.....wish you the best.....thanks for the great years 😀😀

fuse
07-05-2016, 07:21 PM
Not saying I have the pipes, knowledge, or the schtick, having an opportunity to be the voice of the Blue Devils would be a dream job.

I echo all the great things everyone is saying about Bob Harris.
Great Duke icon and even greater person!

moonpie23
07-05-2016, 07:50 PM
i am seriously bumming on this, altho i knew it was coming... :( for the most part of the season, i like to turn the tv down and turn bob's radio broadcast on to listen to. as many of you know, this results in me being about 3-5 seconds ahead on the action, so my ability to "see" into the future was Jedi level...

it's not going to be the same.......

here's to that voice "how sweet it is!"

oldnavy
07-06-2016, 08:48 AM
I got to take a one day class on a Saturday a few years ago. Bob and his wife also attended the class. They were both very nice and down to earth. In fact he was sitting in front of me and I didn't even know it was him until he asked a question of the instructor... that voice is pretty distinctive!!

Going to miss his calls of Duke sports. He is the only announcer that I can remember for Duke!

lmb
07-06-2016, 09:29 AM
Can we petition ESPN to simulcast the Duke-UNC game at Cameron? They can use their announcers on ESPN and Bob on ESPNU or one of their other outlets.

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-06-2016, 03:54 PM
Bob Harris has been a special part of Duke athletics for as long as some on the board can remember. He followed another legend, Addison Penfield.

Add was a student at Duke when he began to work with the radio broadcasts of Duke football. I remember hearing that Wallace Wade played a role in getting Add to take on this work at a time when the radio broadcasts of college football games were the most important way to follow the action.

Add Penfield was the Duke broadcaster when I was an undergraduate. When he retired, I couldn't imagine anyone taking his place. That's how special he and his voice were. Bob Harris took over the broadcasts and created his own legacy. It will be a tough assignment to follow these two giants, but I look forward to hearing the next voice of the Blue Devils. May we witness a new giant in the making!:D

Indoor66
07-06-2016, 04:37 PM
Bob Harris has been a special part of Duke athletics for as long as some on the board can remember. He followed another legend, Addison Penfield.

Add was a student at Duke when he began to work with the radio broadcasts of Duke football. I remember hearing that Wallace Wade played a role in getting Add to take on this work at a time when the radio broadcasts of college football games were the most important way to follow the action.

Add Penfield was the Duke broadcaster when I was an undergraduate. When he retired, I couldn't imagine anyone taking his place. That's how special he and his voice were. Bob Harris took over the broadcasts and created his own legacy. It will be a tough assignment to follow these two giants, but I look forward to hearing the next voice of the Blue Devils. May we witness a new giant in the making!:D

I am with you on this DITBD. I hated hearing that Add Penfield was going to retire. I loved hearing him back when that was the way you followed Duke Basketball when playing away from Duke Indoor Stadium. TV was one or two ACC Game of the Week on Saturday afternoon and then the ACC Tourney. Radio was the thing.

Bob came in and made the broadcasts his own and almost made us forget Add. I wonder who is next?

Henderson
01-10-2017, 09:22 AM
Any word on who will succeed Bob Harris? I assume that's in the control of IMG. Are they interviewing people yet? Any known contenders?

jv001
01-10-2017, 10:02 AM
I've truly been blessed to have Bob Harris and Add Penfield voices on the Duke air waves. I never met Mr. Penfield, but the praises I've heard from others that knew him personally have portrayed him as a gentleman. I do know he was great at what he did on the air. However, I was blessed to have met Bob on several occasions and he is one of the best human beings I've met. His on the air broadcasts were the best and I'll never forget his call on Christian Laettner's miracle shot. Best wishes to Bob and his family as he begins another part of his life. May God richly bless you and your family, and as always, GoDuke!

moonpie23
01-10-2017, 11:15 AM
they were considering Moonpie, but his play-by-play was so far ahead of the action they decided against that...

devildeac
01-10-2017, 12:23 PM
they were considering Moonpie, but his play-by-play was so far ahead of the action they decided against that...

Well, I guess I've been eliminated, too. :rolleyes::(

moonpie23
01-10-2017, 12:44 PM
Well, I guess I've been eliminated, too. :rolleyes::(

see? i already knew that.....:rolleyes:

devildeac
01-10-2017, 01:10 PM
see? i already knew that....:rolleyes:

Well, if you're that far ahead, when does Amile return to the line-up from his "unspecified lower body injury?"

:p