PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Duke Connecticut Box Score

madscavenger
07-01-2016, 06:17 AM
Note that Shelden Williams, Shav, and Nick Horvath all fouled out.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20040403

moonpie23
07-01-2016, 07:27 AM
well, that put me into a holiday weekend mood.....:mad:

ChrisP
07-01-2016, 08:10 AM
I was at that game. Ugh :mad: Lots and LOTS of fouls on Duke's bigs but refs totally swallowed their whistles when JJ got hacked going to the hoop late in the game. Double UGH :mad::mad:

devildeac
07-01-2016, 09:04 AM
Note that Shelden Williams, Shav, and Nick Horvath all fouled out.

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=20040403

I'm considering clicking on the flaming turd button for reminding us all of this POS.

But, I won't because I'm getting into the festive holiday spirit :mad:.

Plus, I'm really a nice guy :rolleyes: .

unexpected
07-01-2016, 09:14 AM
I'm considering clicking on the flaming turd button for reminding us all of this POS.

But, I won't because I'm getting into the festive holiday spirit :mad:.

Plus, I'm really a nice guy :rolleyes: .

I think about this game way too often. In an interesting sign of how basketball has changed, I think in today's basketball environment, after Shelden and Shavlik fouled out, Deng should have played Center (not Horvath) and we could have rolled with:

Dockery(Ben Gordon Stopper)
Duhon
JJ
Ewing
Deng

JasonEvans
07-01-2016, 09:54 AM
I think about this game way too often. In an interesting sign of how basketball has changed, I think in today's basketball environment, after Shelden and Shavlik fouled out, Deng should have played Center (not Horvath) and we could have rolled with:

Dockery(Ben Gordon Stopper)
Duhon
JJ
Ewing
Deng

UConn would have just chucked the ball at the hoop and let Okafor, Boone, and Villanueva grab every rebound.

By the way if we do just one of-- hit 69% of our FTs, 30% of our 3-pointers, or 42% of our FGs then we win that game. It took some really bad shooting for UConn to win that game. Meanwhile, they hit 50% of the 2s and 55% of their 3s... the randomness of basketball is really tough to handle.

-Jason "why, why, why did madscavenger bring this up?!?!" Evans

SenatorClayDavis
07-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit

MChambers
07-01-2016, 10:09 AM
madscavenger, what were you thinking? Almost all of us know and remember that. Worst officiated game in Final Four history, at least that I've seen. We don't need a reminder.

I won't flame you, but you might want to drink your coffee before you post again at 5 a.m.

elvis14
07-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Two things I remember specifically from this game:

In the first half I turned to someone and said "They are not going to let us win this game". Later all our players fouled out.
After the game a friend who's a UConn fan told me that the no-calls on Okafor were correct. Yes, they were fouls but Okafor had been given those calls all year so it was only correct that he was not called because it had been established that he gets those calls.

I hate that I was right about 1 and I still, all these years later, don't understand the logic of #2. Thanks goodness I didn't know at the time that we would have to endure 4 years of the no-call/bad-call madness with HansCheater showing up in Cheater Hill.

BLPOG
07-01-2016, 10:11 AM
madscavenger, what were you thinking? Almost all of us know and remember that. Worst officiated game in Final Four history, at least that I've seen. We don't need a reminder.

I won't flame you, but you might want to drink your coffee before you post again at 5 a.m.

He was providing a helpful link in response to this comment:

"...but can't find a box score" (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2016/7/1/12077370/coach-k-kyrie-irving-talk-olympics)

CameronBlue
07-01-2016, 10:17 AM
One thing I remember specifically about this game:

3 pt fg: 6-22 .273

Despite the abhorrent officiating, Duke had it's chances.

brevity
07-01-2016, 10:23 AM

"...but can't find a box score" (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2016/7/1/12077370/coach-k-kyrie-irving-talk-olympics)

You know, the first thing I do when I see a really poorly conceived forum thread is to check the main page for some context. Earlier this morning I tried that, and I didn't see any headlines about Connecticut 2004, so I rolled my eyes and moved on. Sporks to BLPOG for looking more closely.

Not trying to start another quote-fest, but the proper reply to this thread is "...thank you so much for bringing up such a painful subject. While you're at it, why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?"

rasputin
07-01-2016, 10:51 AM
You know, the first thing I do when I see a really poorly conceived forum thread is to check the main page for some context. Earlier this morning I tried that, and I didn't see any headlines about Connecticut 2004, so I rolled my eyes and moved on. Sporks to BLPOG for looking more closely.

Not trying to start another quote-fest, but the proper reply to this thread is "...thank you so much for bringing up such a painful subject. While you're at it, why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it?"

Starting another quote-fest?

Inconceivable.

unexpected
07-01-2016, 11:03 AM
UConn would have just chucked the ball at the hoop and let Okafor, Boone, and Villanueva grab every rebound.

By the way if we do just one of-- hit 69% of our FTs, 30% of our 3-pointers, or 42% of our FGs then we win that game. It took some really bad shooting for UConn to win that game. Meanwhile, they hit 50% of the 2s and 55% of their 3s... the randomness of basketball is really tough to handle.

Another option would have been to switch Deng onto Okafor much in the game. Okafor's insane quickness kept drawing these easy fouls. Boone was so limited offensively, and Villanueva hardly played in this game!

Another what-if: If Michael Thompson had delayed his transfer by just a semester, would he have made a difference? Would he still have found out about his heart condition?

devildeac
07-01-2016, 11:18 AM

A single paper cut?

Lemon juice?

You're taking this pretty well.

As for me:

" 'Cause I'd rather get a hundred thousand paper cuts on my face
Than spend one more minute with this score

I'd rather rip out my intestines with a fork..."

:o

(I did alter the lyrics just a bit :o. )

madscavenger
07-01-2016, 11:19 AM

Well, thank you for the thank you. i am a great believer in disproportionate response, but since we're all friends here i will refrain from mentioning something a bit more emblematic of pain, the old tried and true heroin suppository. That would really put a crimp in someone's weekend.

Bluedog
07-01-2016, 11:55 AM
Another what-if: If Michael Thompson had delayed his transfer by just a semester, would he have made a difference? Would he still have found out about his heart condition?

Or if Humphries wasn't let out of his LOI. But he would have likely destroyed the chemistry of that team, and they wouldn't have made the Final Four to begin with.

cato
07-01-2016, 11:59 AM
Burn this thread to the ground and then soak it in kerosene and burn it again.

MChambers
07-01-2016, 12:05 PM

Well, then he's forgiven, but a PM might have been a better method!

nmduke2001
07-01-2016, 12:16 PM

Or if Nick would have just put any part of his body on Okafur with 27 seconds left. Okafur missed a short one, faded all the way to near the free throw line and was able to run back in untouched to make the go ahead lay up. :mad:

jacone21
07-01-2016, 12:30 PM

jimsumner
07-01-2016, 12:38 PM
Well, there go my plans to start threads on Goose Givens, Never Nervous Pervis, the 1990 NCAA title game, the end of the 2002 IU game and Bill Bradley. :)

Seriously, folks. I've been bored. I've never been that bored.

royalblue
07-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Yes I was at the river walk and saw this upclose
I was going to say
"Thank you sir may I have another"
But I'm going to watch the Kris Jenkins shot several times so I can feel some better

Indoor66
07-01-2016, 12:59 PM
This thread is like stuffing oatmeal up your nose.

Tripping William
07-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Well, there go my plans to start threads on Goose Givens, Never Nervous Pervis, the 1990 NCAA title game, the end of the 2002 IU game and Bill Bradley. :)

Seriously, folks. I've been bored. I've never been that bored.

What, no Scotty Thurman?

Owen Meany
07-01-2016, 01:11 PM
IIRC, during and after the game the talk was how the officials had sidelined Okafor and put UConn at such a disadvantage with 2 early fouls, despite the fact that Williams, Shav and Horvath all fouled out in fewer minutes played (Okafor ended with 3 fouls). This was all post-2001/Billy Packer when the Duke gets all the calls was in full swing.

devildeac
07-01-2016, 01:21 PM
This thread is like stuffing oatmeal up your nose.

Just your nose? :rolleyes::mad:

devildeac
07-01-2016, 01:23 PM
IIRC, during and after the game the talk was how the officials had sidelined Okafor and put UConn at such a disadvantage with 2 early fouls, despite the fact that Williams, Shav and Horvath all fouled out in fewer minutes played (Okafor ended with 3 fouls). This was all post-2001/Billy Packer when the Duke gets all the calls was in full swing.

IIRC, Williams, Randolph and Horvath all had 2 fouls in the first half, also. But, this is painful enough, I'm not gonna review the box score. :mad:

jmck214
07-01-2016, 02:03 PM
Anytime somebody says Duke gets all the calls I point to this game

subzero02
07-01-2016, 07:32 PM
I have never rewatched this game but I remember a few things... Randolph had a great first half, Shelden picked up his 3rd foul before halftime, Redick missed a 3 pointer from the top of the key that would've tied the game down the stretch, we were up by 8 points with 5 minutes to go, Deng took an I'll advised open 3 pointer that would've been a great shot if it had gone in but instead contributed to our loss, we couldn't keep Okafor off the offensive glass and Duhon hit a 3 pointer from half court at the buzzer to give us a win ATS. I despise uconn... I picked 3 of the 4 final four teams in my bracket and had Duke beating Georgia Tech for the national title (this would've been a rematch of the ACC championship game).

superdave
07-01-2016, 08:56 PM
One of the people I watched this game with is in prison for the next 50 years. True story.

Thanks madscavenger

<sadtrombone>

jimsumner
07-01-2016, 09:01 PM
I have never rewatched this game but I remember a few things... Randolph had a great first half, Shelden picked up his 3rd foul before halftime, Redick missed a 3 pointer from the top of the key that would've tied the game down the stretch, we were up by 8 points with 5 minutes to go, Deng took an I'll advised open 3 pointer that would've been a great shot if it had gone in but instead contributed to our loss, we couldn't keep Okafor off the offensive glass and Duhon hit a 3 pointer from half court at the buzzer to give us a win ATS. I despise uconn... I picked 3 of the 4 final four teams in my bracket and had Duke beating Georgia Tech for the national title (this would've been a rematch of the ACC championship game).

The 2004 ACCT title game matched Duke and Maryland.

Speaking of questionable officiating.

subzero02
07-01-2016, 10:02 PM
The 2004 ACCT title game matched Duke and Maryland.

Speaking of questionable officiating.

You are correct. I watched the semifinal match up between duke and GEORGIA Tech at a bar in cozumel where you could also place bets on sporting events. I missed the finals because my cruise line didn't have the game.

gurufrisbee
07-02-2016, 10:59 AM
First time my wife ever heard me swear watching a sporting event was this game. Seeing Emeka go over the back time and time again with no calls while on the other end of the court he got Jordan treatment and every Duke big man got whistled for looking in his direction was too much for me to handle. Yes, we had our chances, but 100% guaranteed that the better team on the floor did not get the win and it was directly because the officiating was so bad and so lopsided.

jdk
07-03-2016, 03:30 PM
Somewhere in the multiverse, Michael Thompson does not transfer, Duke has one extra big to throw at Okafor in the final minutes, and we hold on for a win before steamrolling to a championship.

Then the Charlotte Bobcats, in their inaugural season decide to draft FFMVP Luol Deng instead of Okafor and end up with a consistent, borderline All-Star for the next decade and a half.

rsvman
07-03-2016, 10:41 PM
Burn this thread to the ground and then soak it in kerosene and burn it again.

Wait, did we lose that game or something?

juise
07-04-2016, 01:40 AM
Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit
Good time to deploy your tag line for the first time on the boards. Very appropriate.

(I was at this game. It was my senior year. Brutal.)