PDA

View Full Version : Obi knee surgery

markbdevil
06-30-2016, 02:11 PM
http://www.dukechronicle.com/blog/blue-zone/2016/06/duke-forward-sean-obi-undergoes-knee-surgery

ChillinDuke
06-30-2016, 02:15 PM
http://www.dukechronicle.com/blog/blue-zone/2016/06/duke-forward-sean-obi-undergoes-knee-surgery

No specifics in here. Just that he had "knee surgery."

No timetable for return although the blurb does speculate "if" he recovers in time for the start of the season.

- Chillin

BD80
06-30-2016, 02:23 PM
No specifics in here. Just that he had "knee surgery."

No timetable for return although the blurb does speculate "if" he recovers in time for the start of the season.

- Chillin

Why did they wait so long after the season ended?

OldPhiKap
06-30-2016, 02:30 PM
Hoping for a full and quick recovery. Go Obi!!!

TruBlu
06-30-2016, 03:05 PM
Why did they wait so long after the season ended?

And why was the surgery in New York instead of at Duke?

-jk
06-30-2016, 04:07 PM

"Dr. Riley Williams—the team doctor for USA Basketball and the Brooklyn Nets—at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York."

-jk

Ichabod Drain
06-30-2016, 04:35 PM

"Dr. Riley Williams—the team doctor for USA Basketball and the Brooklyn Nets—at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York."

-jk

Also, not sure if it's a factor or not, Obi's host family after he moved to the US is from Greenwich Connecticut, just outside New York.

House P
06-30-2016, 04:46 PM

-jk

Additionally, while the Hospital for Special Surgery might not be as "famous" as places like Johns Hopkins, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, or Duke, it is generally considered the top orthopedic hospital in the US. So it is very likely that he is receiving excellent care.

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/orthopedics

devildeac
06-30-2016, 05:04 PM
I'm feeling the kneed for a vigil here...

TKG
06-30-2016, 05:49 PM

Perhaps we should all Kneel in prayer.

BD80
06-30-2016, 05:49 PM

Couldn't hurt to get a leg up on a critical part of the recovery process

Thigh'd say it is a glute idea

rasputin
06-30-2016, 06:06 PM
Couldn't hurt to get a leg up on a critical part of the recovery process

Thigh'd say it is a glute idea

I think we should put a cap on this.

ChillinDuke
06-30-2016, 06:08 PM
Man, all it takes is one around here. :D

- Chillin

Indoor66
06-30-2016, 06:33 PM
I just can't get a kick out of this thread.

Green Wave Dukie
06-30-2016, 07:25 PM

This is a good one and you deserve a pat(ella) on the back.

Indoor66
06-30-2016, 07:27 PM
This is a good one and you deserve a pat(ella) on the back.

You deserve a leg up for that one.😎

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-30-2016, 07:33 PM

Come on, be flexible

MarkD83
06-30-2016, 07:42 PM
It is good to know that everyone here is also keeping up on their skills for the upcoming season.

Olympic Fan
06-30-2016, 07:57 PM
I wish Obi a full recovery. I still wonder how much of his ineffectiveness this season was due to his knee problems. Pretty sure Coach K mentioned that Obi has problems in preseason that prevented him from ever getting in shape.

I think there is no hurry on his recovery. With Jefferson's return and the addition of Bolden and Giles, he was unlikely to play at all next season -- surgery or no surgery.

But that might not be the case in 2017-18.

We lose Jefferson for sure ... Giles very likely ... and there's a decent chance Bolden is one-and-done.

That's not problem if Jeter develops as we hope and K scores big on the recruiting trail -- Carter would seem to be the most impactful recruit. Bomba would obviously help a lot. Or maybe Vrankovic develops.

But that's a lot of what ifs. It's not farfetched that Duke will NEED Obi as a rotation player in 2018 -- not the immobile, earth-bound Obi we saw last season, but the rebounding machine he was two years earlier as a freshman.

I very much hope he gets his problems fixed ... and is available to make a contribution in 2018. We might not need it ... but we might.

Indoor66
06-30-2016, 08:05 PM
In all seriousness, I wish young Mr. Obi the speediest and most complete of recoveries.

DukieTiger
06-30-2016, 08:23 PM
I wish Obi a full recovery. I still wonder how much of his ineffectiveness this season was due to his knee problems. Pretty sure Coach K mentioned that Obi has problems in preseason that prevented him from ever getting in shape.

I think there is no hurry on his recovery. With Jefferson's return and the addition of Bolden and Giles, he was unlikely to play at all next season -- surgery or no surgery.

But that might not be the case in 2017-18.

We lose Jefferson for sure ... Giles very likely ... and there's a decent chance Bolden is one-and-done.

That's not problem if Jeter develops as we hope and K scores big on the recruiting trail -- Carter would seem to be the most impactful recruit. Bomba would obviously help a lot. Or maybe Vrankovic develops.

But that's a lot of what ifs. It's not farfetched that Duke will NEED Obi as a rotation player in 2018 -- not the immobile, earth-bound Obi we saw last season, but the rebounding machine he was two years earlier as a freshman.

I very much hope he gets his problems fixed ... and is available to make a contribution in 2018. We might not need it ... but we might.

From my vantage, Obi is looking at being buried in the bigs rotation in 17-18 as well.

Jeter will be ahead of him for sure.

Carter and Bamba AND Deng Gak are perceived to be relatively significant Duke leans. Anything can happen in recruiting, but it looks like they're wanting to sign at least 2, preferably 3 bigs. Gak might not be ahead of him, but you're more than likely going to sign at least one, probably two blue chip recruits who will be ahead of Sean.

Then you can pretty much count on a big wing like Kevin Knox seeing some time at the 4 - especially if the guy they land happens to be Knox, who isn't as much of a natural 3 as Winslow, Ingram or Tatum.

Then Vrankovic will have a whole year to pull ahead of Obi developmentally - might not happen, but it might.

To my (significantly less seasoned and knowledgeable) eyes, this year was Obi's best chance to be a rotational player at Duke, especially after Amile got hurt. Hate that his injury problems got in the way of that.

Troublemaker
06-30-2016, 08:31 PM
Man, all it takes is one around here. :D

- Chillin

It is good to know that everyone here is also keeping up on their skills for the upcoming season.

Wordplay has definitely become ortho-docs around here.

fraggler
06-30-2016, 08:31 PM

Wow, good one!

NSDukeFan
06-30-2016, 08:56 PM

Wow, good one!

I don't know Sur. Gery's still out on that one.

devildeac
06-30-2016, 09:06 PM
Good golly, what have I started? :o

Make no bones about it, I've been hanging around this joint a long time.

Ultrarunner
06-30-2016, 09:30 PM

Well, it's that ex-cruciate-ing time of year.

On a serious note, best wishes for a speedy and full recovery for Sean.

madscavenger
06-30-2016, 10:01 PM
As far as readiness for next season, no telling now. Pray somebody posts the Podcasts.

BD80
06-30-2016, 10:15 PM
Good golly, what have I started? :o

Make no bones about it, I've been hanging around this joint a long time.

As long as this doesn't devolve into a mpg (meniscus per game) prediction thread.

devildeac
06-30-2016, 10:29 PM
As long as this doesn't devolve into a mpg (meniscus per game) prediction thread.

Well articulated, but that would be within the scope of this board.

Green Wave Dukie
06-30-2016, 10:40 PM
Well articulated, but that would be within the scope of this board.

I just have to say, men (th)is cus been going on way too long.

Newton_14
06-30-2016, 10:53 PM
Additionally, while the Hospital for Special Surgery might not be as "famous" as places like Johns Hopkins, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, or Duke, it is generally considered the top orthopedic hospital in the US. So it is very likely that he is receiving excellent care.

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/orthopedics

That last part I don't doubt at all, I just find it strange the surgery was not at Duke and performed by T. Moorman & Crew. Those guys normally perform the ortho related surgeries on team members. Not looking for a conspiracy or anything, just wonder what the reasoning was.

I do think it obvious the young man's knee or knees were in really bad shape, so maybe it was not your normal run of the mill knee surgery and required the Specialty Hospital/USA Team Doc skillsets...

At any rate, good for him. I hope he gets relief and it enables him to play sustained minutes somewhere down the road.

BD80
07-01-2016, 06:58 AM
That last part I don't doubt at all, I just find it strange the surgery was not at Duke and performed by T. Moorman & Crew. ... maybe it was not your normal run of the mill knee surgery and required the Specialty Hospital/USA Team Doc skillsets...

Just another perk of playing for the GOAT

Neals384
07-01-2016, 10:04 AM
It's really tough to look good in a hospital gown, but Mr. Obi is looking fine in his tweet pic!

Doria
07-01-2016, 12:27 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Sean! And I thank him for hanging in there last season, with obviously at least moderate discomfort. Get well soon!

BLPOG
07-01-2016, 01:45 PM

It's a like natural reflex for DBR's old hands.

NSDukeFan
07-01-2016, 07:04 PM
It's a like natural reflex for DBR's old hands.

Now you're just pulling my leg.

Indoor66
07-01-2016, 07:40 PM
Now you're just pulling my leg.

I think you might be out of bounds. BLPOG was talking about hands…. :cool:

Ima Facultiwyfe
07-01-2016, 07:48 PM
Just stopping by to cap off this knee thing.
Love, Ima

yootheman
07-01-2016, 08:41 PM
reverting to natural tendoncies.