PDA

View Full Version : This Actually Could Improve the Level of Officiating

BD80
06-29-2016, 04:45 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/acc-big-east-leading-officiating-alliance-to-address-quality-scheduling-concerns/

If nothing else, at least you wouldn't need as many translators for officials traveling to New England. "Excuse me, I seem to have lost my 'r'"

ipatent
06-30-2016, 10:30 AM
games where there is overlap between the conference territories. New England yes, not tobacco road. The UNC streak against Clemson is still safe.

ChillinDuke
06-30-2016, 10:41 AM
games where there is overlap between the conference territories. New England yes, not tobacco road.

Well, we'll see how it plays out. But there is most certainly geographic overlap between the four conferences around the Tobacco Road region. As examples:

Georgetown (Big East)
UNC Wilmington (CAA)
Elon (CAA)
College of Charleston (CAA)
James Madison (CAA)
William & Mary (CAA)
Richmond (A10)
VCU (A10)
George Mason (A10)
George Washington (A10)

So, if the goal is to group referees to call games in relatively close proximity to each other (read: no flights required), these schools are close enough to Tobacco Road to facilitate overlap (ranging from DC to Charleston; about 4 hour driving radius). Those are plenty of options.

But it's anybody's guess if this will actually help the consistency of the calls. At face value, it's a good idea.

The UNC streak against Clemson is still safe.

Still isn't in doubt.

- Chillin

duke2x
07-01-2016, 12:32 AM
I have mixed feelings about this. Didn't the ACC try this with the SEC about 10-15 years ago? It didn't last 2-3 years. How often do we get an A-10 crew for a conference game because the better ACC officials are officiating lesser games?

devildeac
07-01-2016, 08:55 AM
So would this:

:o