PDA

View Full Version : Coach K for president.

porkpa
06-28-2016, 09:35 AM
Driving in to work this morning, I had a thought.
I am not the slightest bit impressed with the two people we will have running for the presidency in November.
Why not Coach K? Of course this is just a pipe dream. The only thing he'd have against him might be his age. He is 69, but looks 50. Consider these facts.
He is a moderate Republican. He can relate to most people. He almost certainly would be able to reach out to both sides of the aisle.
He is well liked, well respected and well known. The only ones who might be opposed are UNC and UK fans. However, even they would probably be happy not to have to play and recruit against him.
He is a graduate of West Point and almost certainly would relate well with the military.
He is an incredibly good organizer and has always surrounded himself with top people. He would do the same as POTUS.
He is an astute businessman. Look at what he has done with Duke Basketball. If you don't think Duke Basketball is big business, then you haven't been paying attention.
He can relate to Democrats as well as Republicans. Just look at Reggie Love.
I would think in terms of likability and achievements, he would be far more popular than either Clinton or Trump.

CDu
06-28-2016, 09:37 AM
Driving in to work this morning, I had a thought.
I am not the slightest bit impressed with the two people we will have running for the presidency in November.
Why not Coach K? Of course this is just a pipe dream. The only thing he'd have against him might be his age. He is 69, but looks 50. Consider these facts.
He is a moderate Republican. He can relate to most people. He almost certainly would be able to reach out to both sides of the aisle.
He is well liked, well respected and well known. The only ones who might be opposed are UNC and UK fans. However, even they would probably be happy not to have to play and recruit against him.
He is a graduate of West Point and almost certainly would relate well with the military.
He is an incredibly good organizer and has always surrounded himself with top people. He would do the same as POTUS.
He is an astute businessman. Look at what he has done with Duke Basketball. If you don't think Duke Basketball is big business, then you haven't been paying attention.
He can relate to Democrats as well as Republicans. Just look at Reggie Love.
I would think in terms of likability and achievements, he would be far more popular than either Clinton or Trump.

I have no interest in Coach K leaving Duke in the next 2-6 years (the timelines necessary to begin a campaign).

porkpa
06-28-2016, 09:41 AM
Even if he were so inclined, he'd probably be too old by then. I was just dreaming the unlikely, if not impossible dream.

rsvman
06-28-2016, 09:42 AM
You make solid points, but unfortunately the percentage of people that like Coach K is probably even less than either of the current candidates. Consider this: non-Duke fans almost universally despise him, or at least say they do. I'd be willing to bet that if they did a poll like the ones they do for the current candidates, and asked people if they "had a favorable opinion of" Coach K, his number would probably be around 15%.

Not.gonna.work.

Which, by the way, is good news for Duke basketball fans, because it means he can keep coaching the Duke basketball team!

OldPhiKap
06-28-2016, 09:44 AM
He won't carry Kentucky, that's for sure.

porkpa
06-28-2016, 09:52 AM
You make solid points, but unfortunately the percentage of people that like Coach K is probably even less than either of the current candidates. Consider this: non-Duke fans almost universally despise him, or at least say they do. I'd be willing to bet that if they did a poll like the ones they do for the current candidates, and asked people if they "had a favorable opinion of" Coach K, his number would probably be around 15%.

Not.gonna.work.

Which, by the way, is good news for Duke basketball fans, because it means he can keep coaching the Duke basketball team!

They don't like Duke or Coach K. But most people respect him. I honestly think he'd be a shoe in relative to Clinton or Trump.

aswewere
06-28-2016, 09:59 AM

Not.gonna.work.

15% You don't get $50, + for speaking engagements with those figures.

yancem
06-28-2016, 10:06 AM
They don't like Duke or Coach K. But most people respect him. I honestly think he'd be a shoe in relative to Clinton or Trump.

If any other democrat was running, they would beat Trump. If any other republican was running, they would beat Clinton. So yes, K could win but unfortunately we are stuck with Clinton vs Trump or the lying criminal vs I'm not even sure what to call Trump? This is what 20+ years of partisan politics gets you!

jacone21
06-28-2016, 10:15 AM
The question is...

Which 8 cabinet members will be relegated to the bench when Coach K inevitably shortens his rotation?

OldPhiKap
06-28-2016, 10:16 AM
The question is...

Which 8 cabinet members will be relegated to the bench when Coach K inevitably shortens his rotation?

ooooh, another minutes thread. Can't wait!

CrazyNotCrazie
06-28-2016, 10:39 AM
I'll fill in a few of his cabinet slots and let the hive fill in the rest:

Secretary of Defense: Billy King
Homeland Security: Shelden
Attorney General: Bilas
Interior: Jahlil
Energy: Hurley
Veteran Affairs: Marshall Plumlee
State: Battier
Agriculture: Trajan
Labor: Wojo

El_Diablo
06-28-2016, 10:40 AM
Wojo for Secretary of the Interior!

OldPhiKap
06-28-2016, 10:42 AM
Wojo for Secretary of the Interior!

Wojo can't develop the big crops.

devildeac
06-28-2016, 11:34 AM
The question is...

Ha! But, if he does that, where are they going to be able to transfer? :rolleyes:

trinity92
06-28-2016, 11:39 AM
As always, Kedsy can save us the trouble of the minutes/cabinet appointment discussion -- he'll just crunch their RSCI numbers to determine who goes where: "after all, no-one with a RSCI outside the top 20 has ever been Secy of State, so don't go expecting Javin DeLaurier to be the one to break the mold. And don't even mention Jon Scheyer in this discussion. He's just the exception that proves the rule . . . ."

Pghdukie
06-28-2016, 12:02 PM
I'll fill in a few of his cabinet slots and let the hive fill in the rest:

Secretary of Defense: Billy King
Homeland Security: Shelden
Attorney General: Bilas
Interior: Jahlil
Energy: Hurley
Veteran Affairs: Marshall Plumlee
State: Battier
Agriculture: Trajan
Labor: Wojo

Who will be a "1 and Done" ? Will we be getting cinder block measurements? And "We Still get ALL the Calls "

devildeac
06-28-2016, 12:14 PM
Imagine one of the acc refs trying to T up the POTUS...

budwom
06-28-2016, 12:55 PM
how soon they forget Duke Hate!

Huge fan of Coach K, not fan of President K.

Troublemaker
06-28-2016, 01:29 PM
He is a moderate Republican.

We don't really know this. It's possible he was once a Republican, but now he's registered in NC as "Unaffiliated."

flyingdutchdevil
06-28-2016, 01:34 PM
how soon they forget Duke Hate!

Huge fan of Coach K, not fan of President K.

Agreed. Can we start another thread about how Coach K will cure cancer? Or solve the problem of world hunger? Or become the next CEO of Apple? I mean, these are all about as realistic as this thread...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-28-2016, 02:03 PM
I have no interest in Coach K leaving Duke in the next 2-6 years (the timelines necessary to begin a campaign).

I don't understand the presumption that K would leave Duke to run or serve. He's only busy about 40 days a year.

Two salient points - K would never win a general election. You think ESPN doesn't treat us fairly? How friendly would Fox and MSNBC be? K's favorables are higher on this board than any other group in America, and I would wager he might have trouble carrying certain elements here.

Second point - in any other previous campaign, the most glaring chink in K's armor would be the complete lack of any experience in politics. Apparently, our populace is giving that requirement a pass this year.

Neals384
06-28-2016, 02:09 PM
Mods, this has been fun, but let's move this to the off topic board with the rest of the political stuff. Thanks.

Troublemaker
06-28-2016, 02:22 PM
I would merge this thread right into the 2016 Presidential thread in Off-Topic

CrazyNotCrazie
06-28-2016, 02:29 PM
I would merge this thread right into the 2016 Presidential thread in Off-Topic

The 2016 Presidential Thread is a very intelligent thread about activities around the current campaigns (at least most of the time it is). This thread was a joke (at least I really hope it was) that at least I thought we could have a bit of fun with and keep it in line with other off-season threads about the trivialities of Duke basketball. If the person who initiated the thread and others thought this was a legit proposal, then we have much bigger problems than I thought. Please don't dilute the other thread where there has been a lot of intellectual discourse with this. If you want to shut this one down, that is fine.

madscavenger
06-28-2016, 02:30 PM
I don't understand the presumption that K would leave Duke to run or serve. He's only busy about 40 days a year.

Two salient points - K would never win a general election. You think ESPN doesn't treat us fairly? How friendly would Fox and MSNBC be? K's favorables are higher on this board than any other group in America, and I would wager he might have trouble carrying certain elements here.

Second point - in any other previous campaign, the most glaring chink in K's armor would be the complete lack of any experience in politics. Apparently, our populace is giving that requirement a pass this year.

Point 1 - Sorry, people don't trust mainstream media. They're no more reliable than a bulletin board.

Point 2 - People are starving for someone who delivers. A creative, independent thinker, open to adapting to circumstances and with significant cross-discipline skills would be far superior to the usual choice amongst candidates with experience in politics. K loves a challenge, any challenge, and sports a celebrated history as witness.

superdave
06-28-2016, 02:38 PM
Make America Crazy Again!

OldPhiKap
06-28-2016, 02:47 PM
Nate James for President.

Game, blouses.

Pghdukie
06-28-2016, 03:28 PM
Keep in mind the Honorable Jesse Ventura, and the Honorable Arnold Schwarzenegger. Both Governors in their respective states

dukelifer
06-28-2016, 04:02 PM
Never would win North Carolina- a key swing state.

MartyClark
06-28-2016, 06:48 PM
Fun thread.

I don't personally know anyone on this board. Based on his insightful posts, I recommend Sagegrouse as the v.p.

DukieInKansas
06-28-2016, 07:34 PM
I've been wondering who my write in candidate would be. :D Not sure I can vote for either of the presumptive main party nominees but have to vote so that I can complain during the next term.

devildeac
06-28-2016, 07:54 PM
Over 30 posts in the thread already and I can't believe someone hasn't asked the most important question if he's elected:

"Who will be his successor?"

:o

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-28-2016, 08:33 PM
Over 30 posts in the thread already and I can't believe someone hasn't asked the most important question if he's elected:

Duh. Obama gets the promotion to Duke head coach.

DukieInKansas
06-29-2016, 01:47 AM

As President when his 2 terms are up or as the Duke bball coach?

OldPhiKap
06-29-2016, 07:27 AM

You mean he can't do both at the same time? I was figuring this would be like the USA Basketball gig.

I can already hear whining in Chapel Hill about K's unfair recruiting advantage.

weezie
06-29-2016, 08:48 AM
OPK, I will urge K to consider you for Secretary of State. Only you could handle the impeccable diplomacy needed to deal with the unwashed.

OldPhiKap
06-29-2016, 09:39 AM
OPK, I will urge K to consider you for Secretary of State. Only you could handle the impeccable diplomacy needed to deal with the unwashed.

Well, I'd bring them some soap and water for one. And of course, a towel is the most useful thing in the universe.

rsvman
06-29-2016, 09:43 AM
..And of course, a towel is the most useful thing in the universe.
After the riding lawn mower, IMO.

DukieInKansas
06-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Well, I'd bring them some soap and water for one. And of course, a towel is the most useful thing in the universe.

Just as long as you make sure garbagemen, the world over, are treated well. They are among my favorite people because they come to my house and take my trash/recycling away. I imagine they are thankful for soap, water, and towels at the end of their workday.

OldPhiKap
06-29-2016, 10:49 AM
Just as long as you make sure garbagemen, the world over, are treated well. They are among my favorite people because they come to my house and take my trash/recycling away. I imagine they are thankful for soap, water, and towels at the end of their workday.

And they do it in rain, snow, cold and heat. Very physically demanding work. There should be a national recognition day.

Oh wait, there is -- and we just missed it:

https://www.facebook.com/GarbageManDay/

DukieInKansas
06-29-2016, 11:05 AM
And they do it in rain, snow, cold and heat. Very physically demanding work. There should be a national recognition day.

Oh wait, there is -- and we just missed it:

https://www.facebook.com/GarbageManDay/

I can't believe I missed that! Thank you to all the garbagemen in the world!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-29-2016, 11:20 AM
I can't believe I missed that! Thank you to all the garbagemen in the world!

Our threads take such odd turns.

cato
06-29-2016, 11:23 AM

Of course. A towel. If only there were a guide to help one with these sorts of things.

OldPhiKap
06-29-2016, 01:13 PM
Of course. A towel. If only there were a guide to help one with these sorts of things.

Don't Panic! There probably is.

madscavenger
06-29-2016, 02:44 PM

You betcha, just ask Jerry Tarkanian (and his dentist).

MarkD83
06-29-2016, 04:08 PM
Ha! But, if he does that, where are they going to be able to transfer? :rolleyes:

There are some roster spots in the uk that need to be filled

devildeac
06-29-2016, 10:32 PM

Both ;) .

devildeac
06-29-2016, 10:34 PM
There are some roster spots in the uk that need to be filled

After the recent vote, there may be a lot of spots.

Oh, wait, in the uk or at the uk? ;)

porkpa
06-30-2016, 04:01 AM
Was I serious when initiating this thread? Possibly.
I certainly realized the near impossibility of this ever happening. However, in terms of credentials, likability and leadership skills, I strongly believe that Coach K lays over the two that we have a choice of at present.
I also believe that if he were younger and inclined to run, Coach K would have a great chance of winning. If elected I think he'd be a great president, if having a great president is in the realm of possibility anymore.

PackMan97
06-30-2016, 11:46 AM
I would vote for him, but only if it meant getting him off the Duke sidelines. Maybe he could have Roy Williams as his running mate? Though the thought of Williams being a heartbeat away kinda scares me.

Even though K is not a Duke Alum, I think most would identify him with Duke. It would help remove Nixon as your one President....*snicker*. Thought I still think the Virginia fans are going to continue to pick on you for that one :)