PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical best teams never

DukeFanSince1990
06-22-2016, 02:11 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/16397092/kentucky-ucla-duke-texas-meet-semifinals-best-teams-never-were

Vote.

Olympic Fan
06-22-2016, 03:21 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/16397092/kentucky-ucla-duke-texas-meet-semifinals-best-teams-never-were

Vote.

I saw it, but dismissed it as a silly article.

For those who don't want to waste time reading it, the article basically looks at schools that have suffered heavy one-and-done losses and projects how good they might have been had everybody stays.

This you get a Duke team with Jabari Parker, Jahlil Okafor, Justise Winslow, Tyus Jones, Brandon Ingram and Grayson Allen. Or you could have a Kyrie-Austin Rivers backcourt with Jabari Parker and Mason Plumlee up front (with Ryan Kelly and Seth Curry). You can imagine some of the teams that Kentucky could have fielded without one-and-dones.

If course, it's silly because its the rapid departure of great players that opens the door for and attracts other great players. Uf John Wall stays at Kentucky for four years, there is no way the 'Cats attract Brandon Knight and Marquis Teague ... that works at every position -- both at Kentucky and Duke and Kansas and the other big one-and-done programs.

I love speculation, but this reminds me too much of the old Saturday Night Live routine with Kirk Douglas: "What if Spartacus had been able to use a Piper Cub for scouting purposes?"

DukeFanSince1990
06-22-2016, 03:31 PM

For those who don't want to waste time reading it, the article basically looks at schools that have suffered heavy one-and-done losses and projects how good they might have been had everybody stays.

This you get a Duke team with Jabari Parker, Jahlil Okafor, Justise Winslow, Tyus Jones, Brandon Ingram and Grayson Allen. Or you could have a Kyrie-Austin Rivers backcourt with Jabari Parker and Mason Plumlee up front (with Ryan Kelly and Seth Curry). You can imagine some of the teams that Kentucky could have fielded without one-and-dones.

If course, it's silly because its the rapid departure of great players that opens the door for and attracts other great players. Uf John Wall stays at Kentucky for four years, there is no way the 'Cats attract Brandon Knight and Marquis Teague ... that works at every position -- both at Kentucky and Duke and Kansas and the other big one-and-done programs.

I love speculation, but this reminds me too much of the old Saturday Night Live routine with Kirk Douglas: "What if Spartacus had been able to use a Piper Cub for scouting purposes?"

Well It's summer and I am bored. :)

kAzE
06-22-2016, 03:37 PM
In other news, Jack grew a huge beanstalk in his back yard and Pinocchio became a real boy.

flyingdutchdevil
06-22-2016, 03:48 PM
In other news, Jack grew a huge beanstalk in his back yard and Pinocchio became a real boy.

These two are more likely than those players staying 4 years...

devildeac
06-22-2016, 05:38 PM

And, if a frog had wings...

CameronBlue
06-22-2016, 05:56 PM
And, if a frog had wings...

Or the Tar Heels didn't cheat...

Wander
06-23-2016, 07:24 AM
That Texas selection is the oddball of the bunch... the lineup they list is just the actual 2007 Texas team (which didn't even make the Sweet 16), plus LaMarcus Aldridge. Yes, that addition would make them a really good team, but it's not even close to the Duke and Kentucky teams listed. I think a better choice would be to take the 2007 Ohio State team that made the championship game built around three freshmen and fast forward a couple years to 2009 when they would be juniors and have a better supporting cast.

fraggler
06-23-2016, 07:33 AM
Can we also start putting something that references the content of the thread in the title like the good old days. Increasingly, and not just here, people are getting lazy or click-bait-y with the thread titles and it is getting irksome. And I apologize, my breakfast and coffee hasn't kicked in yet.