PDA

View Full Version : Best dunks

johnb
06-19-2016, 01:26 PM
From the front page, Gene Banks' dunk should be legendary. Ralph Sampson was dominating, we were a couple years distant from mediocrity, and Gene showed off his immense muscularity. Plus, he and I were classmates and are now Facebook friends.

Nevertheless, I'd go with Phil Henderson over Alonzo Mourning in 1989. Phil was frail appearing, Alonzo was scary. And Duke was not yet Duke. It was unlikely, brave, and a potential difference maker.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GbIxFvMmcmc

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-19-2016, 03:06 PM
From the front page, Gene Banks' dunk should be legendary. Ralph Sampson was dominating, we were a couple years distant from mediocrity, and Gene showed off his immense muscularity. Plus, he and I were classmates and are now Facebook friends.

Nevertheless, I'd go with Phil Henderson over Alonzo Mourning in 1989. Phil was frail appearing, Alonzo was scary. And Duke was not yet Duke. It was unlikely, brave, and a potential difference maker.

Biggest impression on me was Grant Hill v. Kansas off the "pass" from Hurley. Gave me a feeling that everything might work out okay for our boys that night.

75Crazie
06-19-2016, 03:20 PM

I judge them not from a sense of the time and occasion but from the pure act of the dunk itself. From that perspective, I'll take the Banks dunk. Sampson was prepared and went up pretty much at the same time as Banks, and yet Banks converted. On the Henderson dunk, Mourning was late and not as prepared. Granted, they were both things of beauty ... as was the Grant Hill dunk, which was not contested but is unmatched from its sheer sense of physical impossibility.

Son of Jarhead
06-30-2016, 12:46 AM
Picking which of these Duke dunks I love more is like picking which of my kids I love more. I can't do it. They are all so great.

chrishoke
06-30-2016, 10:52 AM
Picking which of these Duke dunks I love more is like picking which of my kids I love more. I can't do it. They are all so great.

For our sake, please have more kids!:)

Selover
06-30-2016, 12:27 PM

Parents really feel that way? I just thought my parents were letting my sister down easy when they told us that :)

ramdevil
06-30-2016, 01:24 PM
Parents really feel that way? I just thought my parents were letting my sister down easy when they told us that :)

Buschdevil's parents weren't lying, yours were.

Sorry, could not resist.

Dukehky
06-30-2016, 02:48 PM
Dahntay Jones over some scrub from Ball State in the 2002 Maui Invitational. It was called a charge. It was not... The guy was standing like 3 feet outside the lane on the right baseline. Tay just flew over him.

94duke
06-30-2016, 03:03 PM
Dahntay Jones over some scrub from Ball State in the 2002 Maui Invitational. It was called a charge. It was not... The guy was standing like 3 feet outside the lane on the right baseline. Tay just flew over him.

and I love Coach K's explanation as to why it should not have been a charge. :cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnnUo3l2GcM

duke4ever19
06-30-2016, 03:36 PM
The Corey Maggette dunk, chin-up and backboard slap is my favorite.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lLsuG9dCckE

Newton_14
06-30-2016, 10:41 PM

We need a poll. I am happy to put it up but I need help with info on some of the dunks. The link below is to a YouTube collection titled 5 Best Duke Dunks. I remembered and/or saw live all but two of them. In one, Dunleavy totally posterizes someone on the uncCheats but the video is grainy so I am unable to determine who the lucky recipient was. The Dahntay push up dunk against UVA... who was the recipient? Grant posterizes some dude but I am unsure of team and no idea on player.

Edit: With the link this time sorry... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri4d7sPGXXg

It also has the Dawkins two hand reverse dunk over the Navy guard in the NCAA Elite 8 game, the Gerald Henderson dunk at Maryland after Nolan got hurt, and the famous Hurley to Hill alley-oop dunk against Kansas in the 91 Title game with Ol Cheatin Roy watching from the sidelines...And finally the Phil Henderson posterizing Mourning dunk again in the Elite 8... That some of these dunks came in Elite 8/Title games in the NCAA is awesome if you think about it..

I will gladly put up the poll with all of those if I can get the details needed for ea...

Son of Jarhead
07-01-2016, 02:32 AM
For our sake, please have more kids!:)

Sorry, no... even if I could afford more, I'd be 70+ when they went to college. Then there is the issue of convincing a certain women to go along with it. I am not brave enough to ask that question.

I got lucky as a parent with my two kids. They both really are wonderful. Well, at least, when they do screw up, they do so equally. However, I do have a sibling that I am sure my parents privately shake their heads in disbelief over sometimes, so I know what you are saying. Actually, now that I think about it, that could apply to all three of my siblings.

Buschdevil's parents weren't lying, yours were.

Sorry, could not resist.

It is quite true that Jarhead and the Czarina of Duke Housing are quite honest people. Aside from that head shaking at my siblings that I imagine they do in private, I have never heard them express in any way, publicly, that they favor any one of us over the others. Obviously, I am their favorite. Or so they said to me... in private, of course. No way they would lie to me about that, right?

fuse
07-01-2016, 08:18 PM
Love these threads....

1. Grant's dunk from Hurley in the championship game
2. Maggette's dunk (backboard slap and all) in Cameron against Florida (?)
3. Dahntay's push up dunk at UVa

So many great options, the above are consistently my favorite three.

Tom B.
07-02-2016, 03:03 PM
We need a poll. I am happy to put it up but I need help with info on some of the dunks. The link below is to a YouTube collection titled 5 Best Duke Dunks. I remembered and/or saw live all but two of them. In one, Dunleavy totally posterizes someone on the uncCheats but the video is grainy so I am unable to determine who the lucky recipient was. The Dahntay push up dunk against UVA... who was the recipient? Grant posterizes some dude but I am unsure of team and no idea on player.

Edit: With the link this time sorry... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri4d7sPGXXg

It also has the Dawkins two hand reverse dunk over the Navy guard in the NCAA Elite 8 game, the Gerald Henderson dunk at Maryland after Nolan got hurt, and the famous Hurley to Hill alley-oop dunk against Kansas in the 91 Title game with Ol Cheatin Roy watching from the sidelines...And finally the Phil Henderson posterizing Mourning dunk again in the Elite 8... That some of these dunks came in Elite 8/Title games in the NCAA is awesome if you think about it..

I will gladly put up the poll with all of those if I can get the details needed for ea...

The posterees are:

Mike Dunleavy against UNC -- Jason Capel
Dahntay Jones push-up dunk against UVa -- Nick Van der Laan
Grant Hill in the 1994 Sweet 16 against Marquette -- Jim McIlvaine (Excuse me, that would be 1994 National Defensive Player of the Year Jim McIlvaine.)
Johnny Dawkins reverse jam against Navy -- Doug Wojcik (Over the years, this has been urban-legendized into Dawkins dunking over David Robinson. Fun to imagine, but not true.)
Gerald Henderson against Maryland -- Dave Neal (the same Terp goon who had knocked Nolan Smith out with a vicious screen a few minutes earlier)

MChambers
12-19-2023, 11:09 AM

I know a very nice guy who was on the 1989 Georgetown team that lost to Duke in the East regional finals. Until a few weeks ago, he didn't know that I went to Duke. When he found out I went to Duke, he said something like "We lost to you guys in 1989!"

I smiled and said something about Phil Henderson's dunk over Mourning. Mark sighed and said "Changed the whole game."

He then added that he was on Quin at the time.

Yes, I know I am resurrecting a really old thread, but it didn't seem worth starting a new thread just for this little bit of information.

HereBeforeCoachK
12-19-2023, 12:30 PM

DITTO on Phil over Mourning...for the reasons you stated...including the fact that Duke was not yet Duke....but this was a stepping stone on that path.

PLUS THIS tidbit: Georgetown people will tell you, as will some sports journos, that the Henderson dunk was the end of the dominant and intimidating era of Ewing / Lonzo Hoya Paranoia.....Henderson's dunk may have done more TO Georgetown than it did FOR Duke.

As for pure insanity....I'd go Banks over Ralph. But for impact...it's Phil over Lonzo....