PDA

View Full Version : Interesting

hallcity
06-17-2016, 10:14 AM
This is a tweet from the sports director at a Triangle TV station:

Mark Armstrong ‏@ArmstrongABC11 9m9 minutes ago

ABC11 is getting highest ratings for NBA Finals of any Disney owned station outside of SF. One game left!

I post this because the NBA is going to notice that the NBA finals are getting higher TV ratings in the rapidly growing Triangle area than in Cleveland. An NBA franchise in the Triangle would have major implications for Triangle college basketball programs; maybe not as big an implication for Duke as for NCSU but implications nevertheless.

DallasDevil
06-17-2016, 10:23 AM
Not to be "that guy," but the tweet limited the stations to only those owned by ABC/Disney. Based on my extensive research (i.e. Wikipedia), only NYC, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, Bay Area, Houston, ABC11, and Fresno are ABC owned-and-operated stations. So, the Finals still probably have higher ratings in Cleveland, but nonetheless impressive for ABC11 considering most of the other cities listed are NBA towns.

Indoor66
06-17-2016, 11:55 AM
Not to be "that guy," but the tweet limited the stations to only those owned by ABC/Disney. Based on my extensive research (i.e. Wikipedia), only NYC, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia, Bay Area, Houston, ABC11, and Fresno are ABC owned-and-operated stations. So, the Finals still probably have higher ratings in Cleveland, but nonetheless impressive for ABC11 considering most of the other cities listed are NBA towns.

Easy to explain: Everybody wants to see Harry go 2 for 22 and McAdoo get a DNPCD.

awhom111
06-17-2016, 09:28 PM
ESPN only seems to have released the home markets ratings for yesterday. Cleveland was at 44.3 and the Bay Area checked in at 34.9 with those numbers representing the percentage of households.

I have seen top ten markets rankings for games 2, 3, and 5 and the Triangle was not on any of them. Besides the two home markets, Columbus and Sacramento were obviously also well-represented. Miami, San Antonio, Memphis, and Atlanta also were in the top ten for those three games. Non-NBA cities also checked in with Birmingham and Norfolk being in the top ten for two of the games.

UrinalCake
06-18-2016, 12:09 AM
Why would we want to bring another team to the area? The Bobcats are already terrible.

jimsumner
06-18-2016, 11:14 AM
With an NHL team in the area and three very popular ACC basketball programs, an NBA franchise doesn't make sense for the Triangle. IMO.

I think an NFL franchise would be very successful. MLB? I'd love it. But I think attendance for 81 home games would be a struggle.

MLS is the most likely.

And I hate to break it to folks, but the Charlotte Hornets are not terrible, current ownership notwithstanding.