PDA

View Full Version : Copa America USA vs. Ecuador or Game 6 of the NBA Finals?

DukeTrinity11
06-16-2016, 02:12 PM
Game 6 of the NBA Finals between the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Golden State Warriors tips off tonight at around 9:10 PM EST while Team USA clashes with Ecuador in the Quarterfinals of the Copa America Centenario at 9:30 PM EST.

A few dozen or so coworkers were discussing the time clash between these two events at a morning meeting and much to my surprise, a majority of them said they would focus their attention more closely on the US-Ecuador game or solely watch that game. I'm curious to see whether this confirms a trend of the growing popularity of Futbol in the United States since the 2014 World Cup or is simply just a small sample size aberration so I wanted to turn the question over to the DBR Community. :cool:

So fellow DBR'ers, which of these two sporting events will you be following most closely or exclusively tonight from 9:30PM-11:30PM?

I would create a pool but I have no idea how to do that. Mods please help?

wilson
06-16-2016, 02:14 PM
Game 6 of the NBA Finals between the Cleveland Cavaliers and the Golden State Warriors tips off tonight at around 9:10 PM EST while Team USA clashes with Ecuador in the Quarterfinals of the Copa America Centenario at 9:30 PM EST.

A few dozen or so coworkers were discussing the time clash between these two events at a morning meeting and much to my surprise, a majority of them said they would focus their attention more closely on the US-Ecuador game or solely watch that game. I'm curious to see whether this confirms a trend of the growing popularity of Futbol in the United States since the 2014 World Cup or is simply just a small sample size aberration so I wanted to turn the question over to the DBR Community. :cool:

So fellow DBR'ers, which of these two sporting events will you be following most closely or exclusively tonight from 9:30PM-11:30PM?

I would create a pool but I have no idea how to do that. Mods please help?I have a backyard two-television setup planned. One of the finer things in life.

oakvillebluedevil
06-16-2016, 02:16 PM
I have a backyard two-television setup planned. One of the finer things in life.

Soccer on the laptop, Finals on the big screen:)

flyingdutchdevil
06-16-2016, 02:17 PM
I have a backyard two-television setup planned. One of the finer things in life.

Please share pictures. I want to be inspired.

BigWayne
06-16-2016, 02:20 PM
Will DVR them both. Will most likely listen to the 2nd/3rd quarter of the Warriors game on the radio driving home from work and then watch the 4th quarter at home more or less real time because the wife is interested due to all the local interest. Will fast forward through the soccer game after that and watch the interesting looking parts.

luburch
06-16-2016, 02:29 PM
NBA on the television and soccer on the laptop as well. The real question is will I be able to stay awake long enough to make it to the end of either?

ChillinDuke
06-16-2016, 02:42 PM
Feel obligated to watch The Finals but have more interest in USA-Ecuador honestly.

I'm interested in seeing what my future self decides.

- Chillin

elvis14
06-16-2016, 02:47 PM
I have a soccer game to play starting at 8:45 which means I won't get home until after 10pm. Have both games being saved on the DVR. So I'll have to leave the radio off on the drive home (or listen to a CD). Will watch the NBA finals first since it'll hopefully be the last game. If I'm still awake I'll watch some of the soccer.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-16-2016, 02:52 PM
Definitely a lot of back and forth. Personally, I will be rooting for the Cavs and for Team USA, as my theory is that each progressive game gets more stressful and more fun, and Team USA in the semis and a Game 7 is the best of all worlds for a fan with no particular rooting interest.

I ask the esteemed board members: which team is MORE likely to play again after tonight? US Men's Soccer or the Cavs?

I'd have to say Team USA, but it's not a clear decision.

killerleft
06-16-2016, 02:53 PM
Copa America. I may check on the basketball at the half or during injuries and/or dives.

gurufrisbee
06-16-2016, 03:09 PM
I was just whining about this on FB this morning. Actually my version is slightly altered.

I'm a big fan of both the Cavs and the Warriors. And stuck in a city where the NBA colluded with ownership to lie and steal our team away.

I'm also a big soccer fan - especially international soccer. And the Copa game is in our city.

So I really want to be struggling with that choice.

But I'm a school teacher and it's mid June which means there is end of the year activities EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, so I'll be missing the first half of both of them to attend a junior high band concert.

When I get home I'll look at the scores and determine which one to watch in the second half based on closeness of the game.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-16-2016, 03:22 PM
I was just whining about this on FB this morning. Actually my version is slightly altered.

I'm a big fan of both the Cavs and the Warriors. And stuck in a city where the NBA colluded with ownership to lie and steal our team away.

I'm also a big soccer fan - especially international soccer. And the Copa game is in our city.

So I really want to be struggling with that choice.

But I'm a school teacher and it's mid June which means there is end of the year activities EVERY SINGLE NIGHT, so I'll be missing the first half of both of them to attend a junior high band concert.

When I get home I'll look at the scores and determine which one to watch in the second half based on closeness of the game.

Last NBA game I saw live was.... 2007? In Seattle, Timmy Duncan missed about 50 free throws to give the Sonics a win. I sure miss the Sonics.

CrazyNotCrazie
06-16-2016, 03:48 PM
I will likely watch the soccer game and follow the basketball on a mobile device until I fall asleep around halftime. Unfortunately, I have a son in elementary school who would love to be watching both games but on the east coast on a school night this just is not possible. I still have no idea why they start all of these games so late. I'm sure the networks have lots of data proving it works for them but kids on the east coast really lose out when everything starts at 9 or later, even on weekends when there is not the concern of waiting until people on the west coast get home from work.

jimsumner
06-16-2016, 03:56 PM
With all the weather delays, they might still be playing the first round of the U.S. Open at 9:30.

COYS
06-16-2016, 04:01 PM
Soccer for me. I love basketball and will be very sad to see it disappear until the fall if tonight is the last NBA game, but I am a big fan of international soccer, too, and the USA/Ecuador match happens to include a team I seriously care about (no particular hate for either the Cavs or the Warriors, but I'm also not a passionate fan of either team). Plus, I made plans to watch the USMNT match with friends at a bar here in town. I'm going to DVR the NBA game and hope that the score doesn't scroll across the bottom of the Fox Sports feed. I'm rooting for Game 7.

camion
06-16-2016, 09:15 PM
Perhaps I am attention deprived (oh look a squirrel), but I find that if I DRV sporting events I can watch at least 2 in the TV time allotted for one.

Futbol is somewhat different in that it doesn't have commercials during the halves, but still it can be watched at 2x during much of the action.

My plan it to start watching about an hour after the start of the first contest and to alternate them while watching with increased temporal efficiency.

Zoom Zoom isn't just for Mazda. :)

JNort
06-16-2016, 09:18 PM
I'm gonna watch NBA till the match kicks off then it's all USA until the final 90

OldPhiKap
06-16-2016, 09:21 PM
Copa. Easy.

Reisen
06-17-2016, 12:04 AM
Copa

cato
06-17-2016, 01:10 AM
I'm gonna watch NBA till the match kicks off then it's all USA until the final 90

This is what I did, with a bit of a delay in the soccer game. It worked nicely.

subzero02
06-17-2016, 01:26 AM
Copa America? I honestly had no idea it was being played until after the Cavs evened the series. Back to back 41 point games by Lebron... must see TV for those who truly appreciate the best basketball players on the planet.

BandAlum83
06-17-2016, 03:14 AM
I completely forgot about the basketball game until I saw this thread just now. I guess it ended 3 hours ago.

Who won? Lol.

The COPA was great!

subzero02
06-17-2016, 03:46 AM
I completely forgot about the basketball game until I saw this thread just now. I guess it ended 3 hours ago.

Who won? Lol.

The COPA was great!

2 former Duke players got a W, 2 former UNC players got an L. You can research the other details.

BandAlum83
06-17-2016, 12:36 PM
2 former Duke players got a W, 2 former UNC players got an L. You can research the other details.

That's all I really need to know, thanks!

awhom111
06-17-2016, 09:23 PM
I was at a fourth division (PDL) soccer game, so neither in my case, which was rare in this area.

It looks like the NBA game averaged around 20.7 million viewers on ABC only and not including ESPN Deported, while the USMNT game was around 5.6 million combined on three networks with a slightly different counting format.

COYS
06-18-2016, 09:34 PM
. . . ESPN Deported . . .

Whoa, PPB material right there ;)

awhom111
06-19-2016, 10:30 AM
Whoa, PPB material right there ;)

Auto-correct or typo? You decide.

OldPhiKap
06-19-2016, 11:36 AM
Some of my posts are PBR material. I'll admit it.

devildeac
06-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Some of my posts are PBR material. I'll admit it.

A modest suggestion:

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?8179-Ycch-Beer!&highlight=ycch+beer

;)