PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming 30 for 30s

NashvilleDevil
06-11-2016, 10:05 PM
Watching the OJ 30 for 30 and they show a trailer of upcoming documentaries and one of them is called One and Not Done about you guessed it Cal and Kentucky. I look forward to not watching that one.

Jarhead
06-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Watching the OJ 30 for 30 and they show a trailer of upcoming documentaries and one of them is called One and Not Done about you guessed it Cal and Kentucky. I look forward to not watching that one.

That's about unexciting as it can get. My plans for watching 30 for 30 do not include watching it. Maybe ESPN could do a follow up of J D King's DBR story (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/) on the ACC's marketing potential for the future instead. Key Item -- Notre Dame joining the league for football. One problem, only 15 teams for football, but if the ACC could also get Navy to come aboard... Whoop, there it is. Now what were we saying about Cal and Kentucky?

Doria
06-13-2016, 07:00 PM

Yeah, I feel like I've already spent too many hours already watching that one. Ugh.

left_hook_lacey
06-16-2016, 07:41 AM
How do you guys like it so far? I'm having mixed emotions about it. I feel like they are dragging it out into a 5 part series that could've been wrapped up in 2 parts at the most. To be fair, it isn't over yet, so there's still a chance they bring it full circle to validate the need for 5 parts. But right now, for me, they seem to be dragging it our for the sake of ratings, not quality of material. Lot's of filler, very little killer.(No pun intended)

I was a young teenager when this happened and I remember it all very well, but I was too young to know how big of a star OJ really was in his prime. So that's been interesting. I also didn't know about the Marcus Allen(alleged) affair. As an adult in my late 30's, I definitely see many aspects of this story and trial much differently than I did as a young teen. It's weird how much you change as you age, even when you think you haven't changed much at all.

Nicole Brown Simpson. I also feel like she was as emotionally unstable as he was. She kept a diary of more than 12 years with every detail of their ups and downs, and she spoke about it so calmly like it was normal. The affairs(his and hers), the beatings, her leaving and being happy, then going back, everything. To see the pictures of their life and the company they kept along with the stories that are told in the piece, it also confirms my belief that life in the fast lane in LA is even more weird and sinister than I could ever imagine.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-16-2016, 07:47 AM
I started another thread over the weekend on the OJ doc, and it sank like a stone. Might be too close to PPB material to discuss here, but I will say I am impressed with the depth of research and the relative impartiality of the piece.

Also, just from a cultural note, OJ's trial gave rise to courtroom dramas (everything post "People's Court), reality TV, and the Kardashians. That is a stunning impact without even taking into account the racial significance, which I don't want to discuss before finishing the series and may choose not to afterwards either.

Very well done, ESPN.

Indoor66
06-16-2016, 08:05 AM
How do you guys like it so far? I'm having mixed emotions about it. I feel like they are dragging it out into a 5 part series that could've been wrapped up in 2 parts at the most. To be fair, it isn't over yet, so there's still a chance they bring it full circle to validate the need for 5 parts. But right now, for me, they seem to be dragging it our for the sake of ratings, not quality of material. Lot's of filler, very little killer.(No pun intended)

I was a young teenager when this happened and I remember it all very well, but I was too young to know how big of a star OJ really was in his prime. So that's been interesting. I also didn't know about the Marcus Allen(alleged) affair. As an adult in my late 30's, I definitely see many aspects of this story and trial much differently than I did as a young teen. It's weird how much you change as you age, even when you think you haven't changed much at all.

Nicole Brown Simpson. I also feel like she was as emotionally unstable as he was. She kept a diary of more than 12 years with every detail of their ups and downs, and she spoke about it so calmly like it was normal. The affairs(his and hers), the beatings, her leaving and being happy, then going back, everything. To see the pictures of their life and the company they kept along with the stories that are told in the piece, it also confirms my belief that life in the fast lane in LA is even more weird and sinister than I could ever imagine.

Wait for 35 or 40 more to pass and then look back on your perspective. It will amaze you more.

Billy Dat
06-16-2016, 09:12 AM
I love it and am riveted...and it may sound ironic to add that my problem as I age is that I can't watch TV lying down past 9PM lest I fall asleep...so although I am riveted I keep falling behind. I have it all taped and am nearly done with episode 2. As far the dragging it out and the level of detail, I welcome all of it. Those who lived through this case, or watched the coverage/movies produced to date, weren't given the 360 degree social, political and economic picture of the entire societal framework that birthed this man and his crimes - the big picture and how they are telling it is really really interesting, but it does require a lot of time and attention.

Ima Facultiwyfe
06-16-2016, 11:19 AM

You said pretty much all. It was the perfect storm. I'm just left wondering how those darling children turned out. What a burden to bear.
Love, Ima

Doria
06-16-2016, 02:54 PM
You said pretty much all. It was the perfect storm. I'm just left wondering how those darling children turned out. What a burden to bear.
Love, Ima

Yeah, I felt so bad for those kids. I haven't watched the ESPN series yet; I'll probably catch them on Netflix, but my roommate and I just (finally--life intervened) finished the American Crime miniseries. I look forward to seeing ESPN's coverage, though.

NashvilleDevil
06-16-2016, 03:27 PM
I finished the series last night, all parts are available on watch ESPN app, and parts 4 and 5 are very riveting. Word of warning, part 4 shows the photos from the crime scene and they are very, very graphic.

Doria
06-16-2016, 03:48 PM
I finished the series last night, all parts are available on watch ESPN app, and parts 4 and 5 are very riveting. Word of warning, part 4 shows the photos from the crime scene and they are very, very graphic.

Thanks for the info on availability and also for the warning; I would not have been expecting that and would have been probably unpleasantly surprised.