PDA

View Full Version : Duke well represented on hoops select team

jimsumner
06-07-2016, 01:13 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211002438&DB_OEM_ID=4200

sagegrouse
06-07-2016, 01:34 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211002438&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Here's the list:

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. – Five former Duke standouts, including two members of the Blue Devils’ 2015 national championship team, were selected for the 25-man USA Men’s Select Team that will train with the USA Men’s National Team in July in Las Vegas, USA Basketball announced Tuesday.

Duke’s five players – Rodney Hood, Brandon Ingram, Jahlil Okafor, Jabari Parker and Justise Winslow – are the most of any school represented on the team.

Billy Dat
06-07-2016, 01:36 PM

Even more here, and Pop is coaching them which is awesome!
http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2016/06/2016-usa-mens-select-team.aspx

The number of guys is enormous, at least double. I don't have time to research it now, but there was talk about the Olympics putting in an age limit, maybe this is an attempt to massively refresh the pool in case big changes alter who can play moving forward. There are 25 players on this list - that's 2 teams.

yancem
06-07-2016, 02:35 PM
Interesting that Towns isn't on the list. Wonder if he turned it down or if he was left off on purpose?

English
06-07-2016, 02:38 PM
Interesting that Towns isn't on the list. Wonder if he turned it down or if he was left off on purpose?

Perhaps he's holding out hope that Cal will agree to coach the Dominican team again, so he can learn to fish with rod-and-reel. I hear the fishing in Rio right now is, um, interesting.

tbyers11
06-07-2016, 03:13 PM

He has played for the Dominican Republic senior men's national team in the past (2012 Olympic Qualifiers). Does that prevent him from playing for USA in the future?

I know that in soccer he would be cap-tied to the DR in this situation and would be ineligible to play for USA in the future. A quick Google search doesn't turn up any answers.

Sure, it was great experience to play in Olympic Qualifiers when you are 17, but if it precludes you from playing for the USA in the future was it a smart move?

yancem
06-07-2016, 03:24 PM
He has played for the Dominican Republic senior men's national team in the past (2012 Olympic Qualifiers). Does that prevent him from playing for USA in the future?

I know that in soccer he would be cap-tied to the DR in this situation and would be ineligible to play for USA in the future. A quick Google search doesn't turn up any answers.

Sure, it was great experience to play in Olympic Qualifiers when you are 17, but if it precludes you from playing for the USA in the future was it a smart move?

I seem to remember someone in the 90's (Olajuwon?) playing for another country and then later playing for the US but I a) am not sure who the player was or b) if the rules have changed.

flyingdutchdevil
06-07-2016, 03:34 PM
I seem to remember someone in the 90's (Olajuwon?) playing for another country and then later playing for the US but I a) am not sure who the player was or b) if the rules have changed.

Not sure about FIBA, but in FIFA, you can play for a different national team before your 18th birthday. After that, you are committed to one team or the other. Happens to my fellow compatriots all the time.

Skitzle
06-07-2016, 03:38 PM
Rules seem to be more lenient if a competitor is naturalized after competing but in towns case he had dual citizenship at the time of competition. Not sure if that makes any difference

He really is a glaring omission from both the USA and select teams...

flyingdutchdevil
06-07-2016, 03:41 PM
Rules seem to be more lenient if a competitor is naturalized after competing but in towns case he had dual citizenship at the time of competition. Not sure if that makes any difference

He really is a glaring omission from both the USA and select teams...

Given his omission and the fact that his talent is perfect for the FIBA game, you have to think that he isn't eligible for Team USA. I can't really see it any other way.

Between the good shooting, elite rebounding, and excellent defense, he is Anthony Davis with range.

tbyers11
06-07-2016, 03:45 PM
Not sure about FIBA, but in FIFA, you can play for a different national team before your 18th birthday. After that, you are committed to one team or the other. Happens to my fellow compatriots all the time.

It is 18th birthday for FIFA. Good to know. I thought it was appearing with the senior men's team regardless of age but I wasn't sure.

CDu
06-07-2016, 03:45 PM
The rules in FIFA prohibit participation on multiple men's national teams. You may compete for different countries in the juniors, but not at the national team level. Since Towns has competed for the D.R. at the Men's National Team level in FIBA competition, he would be ineligible to compete for Team USA.

tbyers11
06-07-2016, 03:48 PM
The rules in FIFA prohibit participation on multiple men's national teams. You may compete for different countries in the juniors, but not at the national team level. Since Towns has competed for the D.R. at the Men's National Team level in FIBA competition, he would be ineligible to compete for Team USA.

Thanks for the confirmation, CDu.

Which brings me back to my original question. Why play for DR when you are 17 when it precludes from playing for the USA in the future? Seems short-sighted to me. I'll blame Calipari for hoodwinking him :D