PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning as a Duke Football Assit Coach.

moonpie23
06-06-2016, 12:01 PM
just tons of fun to think about.....you know, while he's just hanging around figuring out his next move...

hey.....nuttier stuff has happened....

haters in 5, 4, 3, 2.......

duke79
06-06-2016, 12:03 PM
just tons of fun to think about....you know, while he's just hanging around figuring out his next move...

hey....nuttier stuff has happened...

haters in 5, 4, 3, 2....

I assume he is headed for the NFL announcing booth.......BUT......I could see him joining Coach Cut for a week or two in the pre-season helping to coach the QB's and receivers.

flyingdutchdevil
06-06-2016, 12:10 PM
I assume he is headed for the NFL announcing booth....BUT...I could see him joining Coach Cut for a week or two in the pre-season helping to coach the QB's and receivers.

I agree. Being an assistant coach sounds like too much work for the most recognizable football star in the last decade. Being in the booth is a lot easier and, with his charisma, Peyton could crush it.

weezie
06-06-2016, 03:14 PM
...I could see him joining Coach Cut for a week or two in the pre-season helping to coach the QB's and receivers.

If for no other reason than to eat some good local 'que.

cato
06-06-2016, 03:25 PM
I agree. Being an assistant coach sounds like too much work for the most recognizable football star in the last decade. Being in the booth is a lot easier and, with his charisma, Peyton could crush it.

Agreed. How many superstar players wrap up their career, only to go into coaching in their 40s?

dukelifer
06-06-2016, 04:58 PM
I heard Cut talk about Peyton several weeks back. He says he seriously doubts he will be a coach at Duke or the NFL. He says either he will be a talking head or doing what Elway does. But he said that his priority is his kids right now.

duke79
06-06-2016, 05:05 PM
I heard Cut talk about Peyton several weeks back. He says he seriously doubts he will be a coach at Duke or the NFL. He says either he will be a talking head or doing what Elway does. But he said that his priority is his kids right now.

No surprise. I assume he does need to work for money to pay his bills. I would bet we will see him as some sort of color announcer on NFL broadcasts in the future.

superdave
06-06-2016, 05:05 PM

I would have though Manning would be an NFL head coach some day. Brilliant football mind. I could see him as QB coach, then OC, then head coach.

Perhaps ownership is a more likely path though.His net worth is $191M here: http://moneynation.com/peyton-manning-net-worth/

He'd have to have a minority share.

sagegrouse
06-06-2016, 05:07 PM
I would have though Manning would be an NFL head coach some day. Brilliant football mind. I could see him as QB coach, then OC, then head coach.

Perhaps ownership is a more likely path though.His net worth is $191M here: http://moneynation.com/peyton-manning-net-worth/

He'd have to have a minority share.

Peyton on the Duke football bench has about the same chance as Grant Hill on the Duke basketball bench.

OldPhiKap
06-06-2016, 05:29 PM
I heard that he was going into real estate in Omaha.

Jeffrey
06-06-2016, 06:27 PM

He should go into finance in Omaha.

sagegrouse
06-06-2016, 06:29 PM

Good one! He could immediately become the head of the Chamber of Commerce in Omaha! Omaha! and shortly thereafter become mayor.

Indoor66
06-06-2016, 07:31 PM
Good one! He could immediately become the head of the Chamber of Commerce in Omaha! Omaha! and shortly thereafter become mayor.

Maybe better, if in finance, to be a supplicant at the foot of the Oracle?

johnb
06-07-2016, 10:18 AM
No surprise. I assume he does need to work for money to pay his bills...

Unless he plans to buy Omaha, his bills should take care of themselves.

As for what he'd really want to do...

Talking head have to make a difficult job look easy. Thus far, Peyton sounds good because the bar for a practicing athlete is so low; can he actually entertain and inform for 3 hours, and be motivated to thread the needle between dumbing it down and being perceptive? I'm not sure.

Coaching is even worse. You have to be a certain kind of fanatic to coach at that level, and you also have to base your own success on the uncertainties of others. I'm not sure Peyton has that in him, especially with a couple of hundred million bucks sitting in his bank vault

hudlow
06-07-2016, 10:35 AM
Dandy Don II

BD80
06-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Dandy Don II

Not so sure that Dandy Don "threaded the needle" when it came to "dumbing it down"

PackMan97
06-07-2016, 12:38 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to hear he made "guest appearances" at Ole Miss or Duke's QB (as long as Cut is your coach) camps one random summer...but that's about it as far as his "coaching".

dball
06-07-2016, 12:59 PM
It wouldn't surprise me to hear he made "guest appearances" at Ole Miss or Duke's QB (as long as Cut is your coach) camps one random summer...but that's about it as far as his "coaching".

Tenn maybe. Ole Miss would have to wait for Eli. (cue Eli's Coming...3 Dog Night)

PackMan97
06-07-2016, 12:59 PM
Tenn maybe. Ole Miss would have to wait for Eli. (cue Eli's Coming...3 Dog Night)

dagnabit! I'm on a roll today.

So much fail, I'm just waiting to fail and failing so I can succeed at something.

vfefrenzy
06-07-2016, 03:15 PM
Peyton has said that he would only consider one coaching gig, and that's here in the holy city of Knoxville. He's VFL.

elvis14
06-07-2016, 04:00 PM
I could see Peyton being a consultant and basically coming by as a favor to Cut and working with the QB's a little.

I could also see Peyton as a great spokesman for Omaha Steaks.

weezie
06-07-2016, 08:57 PM
Then again, Peyton would look absolutely smashing in the Duke Blue gear. Much more flattering color than orange anyway.

hurleyfor3
06-08-2016, 12:00 AM
Then again, Peyton would look absolutely smashing in the Duke Blue gear. Much more flattering color than orange anyway.

If only Peyton had spent part of his career with a team that wears royal blue and white! Oh wait.

http://i.imgur.com/qV7kA0g.jpg

I've long thought we should just rip off the Colts' unis.