PDA

View Full Version : Is Duke Revising History?

westwall
06-04-2016, 12:37 AM
In viewing the Duke men's BB roster for '15-16, I noticed for the first time that the team photo includes a player wearing number 12 -- but there is NO player # 12 in the roster listing, and no mention whatsoever of a player who wore that number. In short, although Derryck Thornton appears in the photo, his name is nowhere acknowledged in the roster listing. I then went to the '14-15 roster (no photo) and saw that Rasheed is not included or mentioned anywhere in the roster listing for that season.

Although Rasheed was a team member until mid-January '15 I can (with some difficulty) rationalize his omission because, having been dismissed (apparently for cause), he did not complete the last three months of the season as a team member. (Neither did Amile in '16, but the circumstances were entirely different, and Amile remained a team member.) But the omission of Thornton from the '15 - '16 roster is baffling to me: he completed the season, played adequately and often very well, and attended the team banquet. Yes, he decided to transfer, apparently under pressure from his family. But on the other hand, he was persuaded to come to Duke early, and was very much needed, because Tyus had unexpected bailed after only one year. And where would the '15-'16 team have been without Thornton as a member?? I think the answer is obvious.

What sin did Derryck commit that warranted his absence from historical mention in the team roster?? I don't know, and I really don't get it.

Bluedog
06-04-2016, 02:15 AM
He's listed on the roster here: http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/roster.php?season=2015-16

But agree that it's weird Derryck's name isn't on the official GoDuke roster. Odd. Olek Czyz is in the 09-10 photo, but not listed either (mid year transfer). Elliot Williams is listed on the 08-09 roster (end year transfer like Derryck).

subzero02
06-04-2016, 03:20 AM
I agree. Any player who was on the roster at the start of the season, should be represented on the official team roster in the archive. At most, a player should have an asterisk next to his name if he transfers or is dismissed before the season is over. If a player transfers or is dismissed after the season is over, no alteration should be made to his roster listing. I don't believe in altering history unless something truly egregious and abhorent (sandusky&psu or dotson&baylor) occurs.

jimsumner
06-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Curious.

Thornton is in the team picture.

He's not on the roster.

But if you go to the stats page and link his name, it goes to his stat page.

But not his bio.

At least Duke didn't go all-Uncle Joe Stalin and eliminate all record of his existence.

-jk
06-04-2016, 05:47 PM
Curious...

At least Duke didn't go all-Uncle Joe Stalin and eliminate all record of his existence.

As my better half likes to say: the Taller than Mickey Rooney Award.

-jk

SCMatt33
06-04-2016, 07:24 PM
I would guess that the reason for this is that right now, when you click on roster from the main page, the goal is to give you the "current" roster. This would be the 2015-16 team until next years roster is updated over the summer. From that standpoint, I understand not including a player who left the program, even if it was after the final game. When those rosters get archived as past years, though, it should be the full roster imo, and I would guess that the sports info department has simply been archiving the last roster rather than updating it to the full one.

westwall
06-04-2016, 10:56 PM
Curious.

Thornton is in the team picture.

He's not on the roster.

But if you go to the stats page and link his name, it goes to his stat page.

But not his bio.

That's right. My assumption is that Duke could not eliminate Thornton from the stats records without destroying the integrity of the records and opening up charges of 'cooking the books'. And that could lead to allegations of further self-serving "revisions". Just think what a field day the UNCheats fans could have with that!!

JohnJ
06-04-2016, 11:28 PM
He is still listed in the PDF version of the roster.

Jarhead
06-04-2016, 11:40 PM
He is still listed in the PDF version of the roster.

...But what is the date of that PDF file? My guess is that the file has not been updated for some time, and for the integrity of the records the file stays the way it is.

GGLC
06-05-2016, 12:07 AM
I find this very disappointing.

Indoor66
06-05-2016, 08:21 AM

For what reason? If the reasoning above (keeping the roster data fresh and accurate as of the moment, it makes good sense to me. When I click on the roster I want to know who will be there, not who was there. Now if they take him out of the historic roster in the database, then I think I have to agee, that would be disappointing.

BLPOG
06-05-2016, 10:00 AM

I think you are reading too much into this. Someone probably tried to delete him from the current roster in the database, but since he had only one year that deleted him entirely. It probably has to do with how the primary keys are defined for the players. Nothing nefarious, just sloppy SQL. I'm sure it could be rectified by sending a polite email.

BD80
06-05-2016, 10:11 AM
I think you are reading too much into this. Someone probably tried to delete him from the current roster in the database, but since he had only one year that deleted him entirely. It probably has to do with how the primary keys are defined for the players. Nothing nefarious, just sloppy SQL. I'm sure it could be rectified by sending a polite email.

You mean actually investigating the facts before stating an opinion on the internet regarding a third party's motives? Absurd. Unprecedented.

SoCalDukeFan
06-05-2016, 10:30 AM
on the historical rosters. For example Brittany Lang who played women's golf for Duke for two years 2003-04, 04-05 is not listed either year. And for 04-05 they only show a 4 woman team.

SoCal

rsvman
06-05-2016, 11:13 AM
on the historical rosters. For example Brittany Lang who played women's golf for Duke for two years 2003-04, 04-05 is not listed either year. And for 04-05 they only show a 4 woman team.

SoCal

Shocking!

You mean to say that People.Make.Mistakes???!? It's an OUTRAGE!!

GGLC
06-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Can we all agree that if this isn't remedied after some reasonable amount of time, then it will be disappointing? When am I allowed to be disappointed about the GoDuke site omitting mentions of one of our key contributors from last season?

Indoor66
06-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Can we all agree that if this isn't remedied after some reasonable amount of time, then it will be disappointing? When am I allowed to be disappointed about the GoDuke site omitting mentions of one of our key contributors from last season?

IMHO, whenever and as often as you wish to be disappointed. ;):cool:

BD80
06-05-2016, 01:43 PM
... When am I allowed to be disappointed about the GoDuke site omitting mentions of one of our key contributors from last season?

Perhaps after you take steps to bring the omission to their attention and they refuse to take action

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-05-2016, 02:16 PM

I agree that if this is what it appears to be, it's disappointingly petty.

sagegrouse
06-05-2016, 02:20 PM
I agree that if this is what it appears to be, it's disappointingly petty.

Sent a message -- we'll see.

Furniture
06-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Has Derryck decided where he will transfer? If not I wonder why he is dithering?

BD80
06-05-2016, 02:33 PM
Has Derryck decided where he will transfer? If not I wonder why he is dithering?

Dithering Derryck?

Whither dither Derryck?

We wither wondering whilst wondering Derryck dithers.

sagegrouse
06-05-2016, 02:53 PM
Dithering Derryck?

Whither dither Derryck?

We wither wondering whilst wondering Derryck dithers.

Maybe's he's hoping a scholarship will open up at Duke?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-05-2016, 03:10 PM

Thanks for that. I've heard that sometimes direct communication is the most effective. :)

sagegrouse
06-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Thanks for that. I've heard that sometimes direct communication is the most effective. :)

You mean, as opposed to kvetching on a message board? We'll see.

gam7
06-05-2016, 04:44 PM

It does seem late, but there are still dozens of transferring players who have not committed to another school yet. Marcus Lee and Charles Matthews from UK to name two high profile ones.

Jarhead
06-05-2016, 05:11 PM
I just did a google search on Derrick Thornton, and discovered that he has, indeed, decided to transfer from Duke. Google discloses nothing else about Derrick. Oops, one other thing I learned -- he was a 5 star recruit. I didn't know that. Good job, google.

Kfanarmy
06-06-2016, 09:46 AM
My fervent hope is that schools across the country reach for standards a bit higher than what UNC fans might find acceptable, especially Duke. At this point, why take them seriously?

That's right. My assumption is that Duke could not eliminate Thornton from the stats records without destroying the integrity of the records and opening up charges of 'cooking the books'. And that could lead to allegations of further self-serving "revisions". Just think what a field day the UNCheats fans could have with that!!

gus
06-06-2016, 10:38 AM
I would guess that the reason for this is that right now, when you click on roster from the main page, the goal is to give you the "current" roster. This would be the 2015-16 team until next years roster is updated over the summer. From that standpoint, I understand not including a player who left the program, even if it was after the final game. When those rosters get archived as past years, though, it should be the full roster imo, and I would guess that the sports info department has simply been archiving the last roster rather than updating it to the full one.

Since Marshall is on there, this seems like an unlikely explanation.

It's probably a mistake/error, or an overzealous person doing database entry, and not something directed from above. As noted, other transfers appear on their final rosters.

Zeb
06-06-2016, 10:59 AM
Certainly there is some effort to "edit out" players who have transferred. In the Duke weight room, there are pictures on the wall for each winner of the belt awarded to the basketball player with the best strength and conditioning performance. There is one more picture for the women's team than the men's, and on closer inspection it is because they removed the picture of Semi and there is no listed winner for the men's 2013-14 team. They are not comprehensive in their revising though, for the have not dropped this link: http://blog.dukeblueplanet.com/2013/10/semi-wins-the-belt/

Bay Area Duke Fan
06-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Is this similar to the situation when the Law School removed the portrait of Richard Nixon in the '70s?

BLPOG
06-06-2016, 11:29 AM
I'm really stunned by the assumptions so many people are making in this thread. Y'all need to calm down.

Edouble
06-06-2016, 11:50 AM
Is this similar to the situation when the Law School removed the portrait of Richard Nixon in the '70s?

Hmm, Rasheed and Dick did both get their Duke degrees.

subzero02
06-06-2016, 11:58 AM
I just did a google search on Derrick Thornton, and discovered that he has, indeed, decided to transfer from Duke. Google discloses nothing else about Derrick. Oops, one other thing I learned -- he was a 5 star recruit. I didn't know that. Good job, google.

Who is Derrick Thornton?

duke79
06-06-2016, 12:00 PM

LOL, not sure we should be comparing DT to RMN (but, as noted above, Nixon DID get his degree from Duke)

Spanarkel
06-06-2016, 12:20 PM
GoDuke's Men's Basketball Database had DT listed as Derryck THOMPSON for the entire year on its '15-'16 roster for the entire season. I sent an e-mail one month ago and it changed DT's last name to Thornton. Maybe GoDuke hoped he'd be the second coming of David Thompson.

BD80
06-06-2016, 12:51 PM
GoDuke's Men's Basketball Database had DT listed as Derryck THOMPSON for the entire year on its '15-'16 roster for the entire season. I sent an e-mail one month ago and it changed DT's last name to Thornton. Maybe GoDuke hoped he'd be the second coming of David Thompson.

Somebody has to go get that quarter that was left on top of the backboard.

-jk
06-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Somebody has to go get that quarter that was left on top of the backboard.

I think you mean get the two dimes and a nickel...

-jk

Jarhead
06-06-2016, 08:09 PM
Who is Derrick Thornton?
My spell checker must have changed it for me. I have it set up for automatic correction.

BD80
06-06-2016, 08:20 PM
My spell checker must have changed it for me. I have it set up for automatic correction.

Autocorrect is a Thor in my side.

Jarhead
06-06-2016, 10:19 PM

Wow! I didn't know that he had deid, so I've turned off my autocurrect, out of respect.

CameronBornAndBred
06-18-2016, 01:11 PM
Ever get a reply?

devildeac
06-18-2016, 02:08 PM

Your (sic) gonna get hammered for that won (sic)...

sagegrouse
06-18-2016, 03:19 PM
Ever get a reply?

Not so far as I know.