PDA

View Full Version : What Happens to Early Entry Players?

awhom111
06-02-2016, 12:53 AM
I have been collecting this information for a few years. Usually I put it on the draft thread, but with five years of data now, I think that its own thread might be more useful.

Others forthcoming, but here is 2015:
http://i.imgur.com/jHsfYsl.png

Keep in mind that some early entries are players who have been in school for four years and graduated, in which case starting a pro career, even below the NBA level, might actually be the best choice.

I have highlighted all of the players who had a full NBA salary in green and players who got drafted, but were not in the NBA, in orange.

Out of 46 players, 29 were drafted. 24 got that NBA paycheck. Three were domestic draft and stashed in the D League. Olivier Hanlan was overseas draft and stashed and reportedly made 150-200k. J.P. Tokoto took the minimum contract that the 76ers were obliged to offer him to keep his rights, but ended up cutting him so he made a minimal amount above his D League salary.

3 undrafted players ended up with full NBA season under their belts and 1 more was getting an NBA salary for part of the season. The interesting contrast is between the fates of the Harrisons. The one who drafted was paid D League salary all year while the undrafted one took home an NBA salary for the whole season.

Nobody appeared to wash out of basketball completely, which I guess is a good sign, although some could soon.

I excluded Satnam Singh because nobody seems to ever agree whether he is a domestic early entry or an international early entry.

subzero02
06-02-2016, 01:13 AM
Interesting breakdown... a column that shows the remaining years of eligibility that each player had could be telling as well. I know that would take quite a bit of extra work though.

Skitzle
06-02-2016, 05:26 AM
Interesting breakdown... a column that shows the remaining years of eligibility that each player had could be telling as well. I know that would take quite a bit of extra work though.

One Last thing would be number of NBA years played. Even If I guy washed how many seasons did he play for?

You're the man ahom!

Also IF you share each list as a read only google doc. I'D love to go over it and see if there are any other interesting things to take out.

kcduke75
06-02-2016, 08:51 AM

Awesome

This should be required reading for all potential early entrants.

My wish list would be adding the school "attended" (quotes are for UNCheat and other non-schools)

UrinalCake
06-02-2016, 10:26 AM
Awesome chart. A couple episodes ago on CBS's college b-ball podcast they were talking about how in many cases it is actually better to go undrafted than to be a mid-to-late second round pick. As you highlighted with the Harrison twins, if you get picked up even for part of the season, you can earn more money than if you had gotten drafted late and stashed in the D-league. D-league players get paid very little, definitely less than the equivalent of what you would receive on a full scholarship at Duke.

Another fun comparison I'd love to see would be how many players get called up from the D-league and get NBA contracts within the first, say, three years, versus the number of players who play internationally and are then able to make their way back into the League.

awhom111
06-02-2016, 10:21 PM

Assuming Wikipedia is reliable, it is probably actually pretty simple.

One Last thing would be number of NBA years played. Even If I guy washed how many seasons did he play for?

You're the man ahom!

Also IF you share each list as a read only google doc. I'D love to go over it and see if there are any other interesting things to take out.

I may do that or I may just add them as attachments here. I went with the image for so it is easy to see right in the post and easier to deal with than the code tables that I used to use.

Awesome

My wish list would be adding the school "attended" (quotes are for UNCheat and other non-schools)

My old files have schools on them. I have pretty much cut that out for now. The first one is a fairly small images width-wise, but these get a lot bigger once more years get added and I do not want to make the zoom any smaller for the images. If useful, I can add them back in later.

duke4ever19
06-03-2016, 12:16 AM
So that's what happened to J.P. Tokoto! My unc friends said he was going to be the "steal of the draft."

johnb
06-03-2016, 09:41 AM
I was unable to recreate your terrific graphics, so this has to suffice.

Undrafted: 3/17 are getting NBA paychecks.
Drafted after 33: 0/5 are getting NBA paychecks.
Drafted top 33: 24/24 are getting NBA paychecks.

The moral of the story is that you should get drafted in the top 33, NOT get drafted after 33, and if you're undrafted be
a) a top 3 high school recruit with personal issues (Cliff Alexander),
b) have a twin who was drafted and didn't make the NBA (Harrison), or
c) be a Dominican who averaged 15.6 ppg for Westchester Community College (Montero).

If you're not one of those 3 people, and you're not picked in the top 33, you're out of NBA luck.

I would NOT necessarily say that the undrafted guys would be better off staying in college for their personal enrichment or that an additional year or two of NCAA games would mean that they'd have been drafted or drafted in the first round. I haven't seen evidence that college is always best for everyone. Quite a few NCAA football and basketball players are being propped up in school and don't really have a shot at graduating even if they stick around for 4 or 5 years. Many do benefit from college, which is one reason I'm comfortable with the flawed NCAA system, but way too many kids are functionally illiterate, etc, and--sadly--the problem of grinding academic futility is sanctioned and entrenched at many schools, and not just in Chapel Hill (which can at least fall back on its academic pretensions, Dean Smith's efforts with race relations, and quite a few counterexamples of bright/effortful guys who provide deceiving credence to a historically flawed and hypocritical system).

I'd add that only 1.1% of NCAA basketball players even get drafted, so that the effective percentage of those who make the NBA is more like 0.5%. And of those who make it, I'd guess that many/most were fairly clearly identified at age 16 as likely pro players. This would mean that 99.5% of the NCAA players who think they'll make the NBA won't be. http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/estimated-probability-competing-professional-athletics

Anyway, here's the list redone list based on whether or not they are getting NBA paychecks:

NBA-YES
N (Cliff Alexander)
N (Aaron Harrison)
N (Luis Montero)

NBA NO
N
N
44 (Andrew Harrison)
N
N
N
N
N
N
N
N
N
N
N
N

awhom111
06-04-2016, 04:19 PM
2014:
http://i.imgur.com/VHeagMg.png

Color Code:
Green: Two full years
Yellow: One full year
Orange: Some NBA time (either a contract or training camp)
Blue: Drafted, but no NBA time

I am counting full years of salary as a full year even if the player gets waived. Because of the minimal salary impact, if someone on a full salary is waived and goes to the D League, I am not going to list their D League time. Some training camp stints carry salary with them and some do not.

An asterisk by the name of a country means the player was playing on a team that was not in the top division of the league there.

Of 42 players, 28 were drafted and 25 have played 2 full seasons. 4 have played at least 1 full season and 5 have had some NBA exposure.

DeAndre Daniels and Semaj Christon think that getting drafted is overrated. 2 years ago, they were probably thrilled to have their names called and thought they were living the dream. Now, neither has even made it to NBA training camp. Christon is a victim of the Thunder's giant roster crunch and may want to sign the minimum tender to at least force them to waive him and leave him to try to see if there are any other options. Daniels got injured, but maybe he'll get a shot soon.

Of the players, who have not been involved in any NBA teams, here is the breakdown:
-The two unknowns both declared from the junior college level, so it is possible that their basketball careers were winding down anyway.
-Ta'Quan Zimmerman went to Canadian college after junior college because the academics were never going to work out in the NCAA, so this was probably his best option.
-Chane Behanen was kicked out of Louisville so income wise this was no worse than sitting out to transfer.
-LaQuinton Ross has had a solid overseas career. His outcome is probably no worse than if he had stay in school longer.
-Jahii Carson has been very disappointing. It is hard to know if more time at Arizona State could have helped or not or possibly saved Herb Sendak at least.

awhom111
06-05-2016, 08:43 PM
2013:
http://i.imgur.com/4rW7cGJ.png

Color Coding:
Green: 3 full years
Yellow: At least 2 full years
Orange: At least 1 full year
Blue: NBA exposure, but no full season

I went ahead and noted the players who got their fourth year options picked up last fall, which is 18 of the 45 players. 3 more have made it all three years so far.

I will only list the American semipro leagues if they are the only leagues in which the player plays in a given season. You can earn D League level money that way if you are good, but it is generally not significant compared to any other professional gig, so I have decided that it does not add anything.

If C.J. Leslie could stop trying to play in every basketball league in the world, it would be of great help to my trying to keep the width down. Following the guidance from above, I did not even list his time in the UBA this season.

The Spurs finally signed Deshaun Thomas for training camp last offseason, so all domestic drafted players have had their NBA fates resolved one way or another. He had a decent couple of years overseas.

A reminder that some of the players have already completed four years of school before declaring and may have already graduated even if they still had eligibility left.

awhom111
06-08-2016, 12:58 AM
2012:
http://i.imgur.com/URmh9Rf.png

I am running out of colors:
Green: 4 full seasons
Yellow: At least 3 full seasons
Orange: At least 2 full seasons
Red (please let me know if this is too difficult to read): At least 1 full season
Blue: Some NBA exposure, but no full seasons

Out of 47 entries, with some of them likely knowing that being drafted was not possible, 22 have made it through four years of the NBA and towards that second contract. 10 more have played at least one full NBA season.

At some point, I just gave up on trying to figure out Gerardo Suero's second season. Players in Latin American hop from country to country often because none of the leagues run particularly long.

I always search the players who have never played. Once in a while, that pays off as Erik Austin joined his local ABA team this season after apparently not playing anywhere else after junior college.

The Jonathon Simmons story is pretty amazing as he basically played very low-level basketball in his first year out of college and then just kept improving in the D League before looking like he belongs in the NBA.

Terrell Stoglin is the person most responsible for the width of the graphic. Now that he's a favorite player in basketball-mad Lebanon, maybe he will settle down.

sagegrouse
06-08-2016, 09:17 AM
2012:

Terrell Stoglin is the person most responsible for the width of the graphic. Now that he's a favorite player in basketball-mad Lebanon, maybe he will settle down.

You could use that staple of tax returns, "Various," when describing a category with many entries.

awhom111
06-10-2016, 12:53 AM
2011:
http://i.imgur.com/44kuHlK.png

This is the last one that I have.

Colors:
Light Green: 5 full years
Dark Green (Shelvin Mack only): 4 full years
Yellow: 3 full years
Orange: 2 full years
Red: 1 full year
Blue: NBA exposure, but no full years.

I put an asterisk for players who played overseas during the lockout, which was the first year for this draft class. Vucevic got the chance to play in Montenegro while Smith played in Mexico.

Five years mean a second NBA contract for sure. Out of 42 players, including joke entries, that amounts to 16 players. 1 more has made it 4 years, 5 have played 3, 5 have played 2, and 3 have played 1.

Dan Kelm's joke entry lives on forever. For those who do not know, he was an NAIA player who was transferring to an NCAA school for academics who decided to declare before officially ending his athletic career.

Unknown can mean a wide range of things, including playing at a low enough level of organized basketball that I cannot find any information about it on the internet or just retiring altogether. In the case of Jereme Richmond, it includes jail time.

On that front, it appears that only nine players did not have any organized involvement in basketball this season. When you include Kelm and other joke entries, that is not actually that bad.

Two guys are among the one year category, but with wildly different paths. Jordan Williams got picked and had a full contract for his first year and a partial guarantee for his second. He did not end up playing a game for that second season and a summer league cameo was his only play after what would have been his senior season at Maryland. He may have made $800,000 but one wonders if there was a different path for him that would have helped long term. Willie Reed scrapped through two partial years in which he appeared in no NBA games and then had a worldwind third year. He finally got his full year in the fifth season after his draft, taking advantage of his partial years to have a higher veteran's minimum amount and finally making his debut.

Skitzle
06-10-2016, 07:51 AM
Of the 42 how many played in the NBA this year.
Example the 3full years guys, some could be out of the league but others could have spent 2 years in the dleague but be currently playing

awhom111
06-11-2016, 12:45 AM
Of the 42 how many played in the NBA this year.
Example the 3full years guys, some could be out of the league but others could have spent 2 years in the dleague but be currently playing

Looks like it is 19, with 2 more playing part of the year. That means that only Willie Reed and Shelvin Mack had a full NBA salary this season without having four full NBA years of experience before the season. Mack has practically been a five year guy with a partial NBA season in his second year. Reed as discussed had spent two partial seasons in the league with plenty of D League time before having his big break.

Skitzle
06-11-2016, 07:23 AM
Looks like it is 19, with 2 more playing part of the year. That means that only Willie Reed and Shelvin Mack had a full NBA salary this season without having four full NBA years of experience before the season. Mack has practically been a five year guy with a partial NBA season in his second year. Reed as discussed had spent two partial seasons in the league with plenty of D League time before having his big break.

The average length of an NBA career is 4.5 years. So having just a hair under 50% of early entire make it 5 seems totally on part.

I wonder how this translates by University.

Awhom? Want a new research project :)

Given t

awhom111
05-25-2017, 10:11 PM
I have been working on updating these and compiling the monster 2016 file.

Do people want me to start with 2011 or 2016?

Also, these are getting bigger and not so optimal for the board software. Should I both embed an image and attach it as a file for better readability?

awhom111
05-29-2017, 01:02 AM
I will start with 2011:

http://i.imgur.com/wrkL4rY.jpg

Color coding:
Light Green: Full NBA contracts all six years
Dark Green: Five years of full NBA contracts (Shelvin Mack only)
Yellow: Three years of full NBA contracts
Orange: Two years of full NBA contracts
Red: One year of a full NBA contract
Blue: At least a partial NBA contract

Notes:
-Counting Shelvin Mack, who has practically been a continuous NBA player, 18 of the 42 players who declared in this year have been in the NBA the entire time
-It is interesting that nobody has exactly four full contract years
-The separation betwen the upper end and lower end will probably grow, because other than DeAndre Liggins, nobody else is really likely to return in future seasons
-I have done some cleanup on prior years, both because some players joined summer leagues after I had compiled this last year and also to improve consistency in using the Full* designation for players who received a full NBA salary, but were not on a roster for the whole season
-Again, a * after a country indicates that the team is not in the top league in that country
-We are now at eight players who were not playing any organized basketball that I could find in the past season, which is pretty decent considering that a few entries were jokes

awhom111
05-29-2017, 06:53 PM
2012:
http://i.imgur.com/Doddlm2.jpg

Color-coding:
Green: 5 full years of NBA contracts
Yellow: 4 full years of NBA contracts
Orange: 3 full years of NBA contracts
Red: 2 full years of NBA contracts
Blue: Partial NBA contracts only

Notes:
-Nobody only had only 1 full NBA season, which was interesting and good for my desire to not run out of colors
-18 of 47 have had NBA careers the entire time and only 2 others finished this season in the NBA besides them
-I could not find any evidence of 8 guys playing organized basketball anywhere in the past season
-RIP Fab Melo

awhom111
05-31-2017, 12:37 AM
2013:
http://i.imgur.com/we6mNaR.jpg

Color coding:
Green: 4 full years of NBA contracts
Yellow: 3 full years of NBA contracts
Orange: 2 full years of NBA contracts
Red: 1 full NBA contract

Notes:
-20 of 45 players have had full NBA salaries all of the years, although Anthony Bennett seems unlikely to stretch it to a fifth
-C.J. Leslie settled down a bit, so he no longer causes the page to get wider
-Continuing the Pack trend, Lorenzo Brown was cheated out of being able to claim 4 years of partial contracts because the Pistons forgot an obscure rule
-Only 4 players did not play any organized basketball that I could find, which seems pretty good

PackMan97
05-31-2017, 03:48 AM
Awesome

Keep in mind that not every player leaves early for the NBA. For NC State this year, Maverick Rowan and Ted Kapita are great examples. Sure, the NBA would be nice, but they both understand it's the D-League or overseas. They just want a chance to make as much as a UNC-CH athlete.

awhom111
06-01-2017, 12:41 AM
2014:
http://i.imgur.com/3QS4EYB.jpg

Color coding:
Green: 3 full years of NBA contracts
Yellow: 2 full years of NBA contracts
Orange: 1 full NBA contract
Red: Draft and stash, rights retained

Notes:
-22 of 43 players have had NBA contracts the entire time
-I added a column for first round picks who have had fourth year options picked up, which 14 of 18 eligible players got
-It is rare that I add a player back to the list, but that is the case for Isaiah Austin, who received medical clearance to resume his career
-Only 2 players did not play organized basketball this season and neither have played yet while everyone else has basically had a continuous career
-DeAndre Daniels still thinks being drafted is overrated as he is still a draft and stash player. It is possible that he never ends up in training camp as has happened to several American players in the past, letting their rights exist indefinitely.

awhom111
06-03-2017, 12:54 AM
2015:
http://i.imgur.com/BWXtahc.jpg

Color coding:
Green: 2 full years of NBA contracts
Yellow: 1 full NBA contract
Red: Draft and stash with rights retained

Notes:
-24 of 46 players have had full NBA contracts in both seasons.
-I included 3rd year option pickups for 1st round picks. 21 of 22 were picked up, which means that only R.J. Hunter did not get his.
-Interestingly, nobody has had only a partial contract so far. 5 players have at least 1 full season.
-3 players were draft and stashed and still have their rights retained. Olivier Hanlan has been in the best shape money-wise with Tyler Harvey following him to Europe this season. The Thunder better do right by Dakari Johnson before the season after he stuck with their program for two years at minimal pay.
-I tried to do some digging, but did not find anything so I am assuming that Brandon Ashley was injured and unable to sign anywhere.

awhom111
06-03-2017, 07:01 PM
2016:
http://i.imgur.com/zb9Y0KS.jpg

Color coding:
Green: Full season NBA contract
Yellow: Partial season NBA contract
Orange: Training camp, but no NBA service time
Red: Draft and stash with rights retained

Notes:
-There is no question that the new deadline resulted in more declarations with a total of 59 in this class
-There were a number of players who had already been in college for four years and presumably graduated with remaining eligibility
-31 had full season NBA contracts, including Troy Williams, who was waived after the guarantee deadline
-Those players included 18 first round picks, 10 second round picks, and 3 undrafted players
-We had 1 draft and stash with the Thunder being the guilty party again in getting Daniel Hamilton to go to the D League
-Ben Bentil was the other drafted player to not have a full contract with his very unusual path of a season
-It is interesting to note that all 7 players to get cut in training camp ended up in the D League, but it points out that training camp does make it harder to go overseas and sometimes does not result in any pay either
-Apparently Lamous Brown declared from a junior college, did not get drafted, and then went to a different junior college, which I did not know was allowed, but I guess happened unless there are two centers with the same name from Chicago
-I could not find any organized basketball for 4 players and 1 played in a sub-D League level semipro American league, which is not actually too bad overall for those worried about players having nowhere to go

rocketeli
06-04-2017, 08:02 AM
it would be interesting to create another data base with the same information for player 1990-95--and see if careers worked out better/worse/the same for players before the one and done era.

awhom111
06-04-2017, 07:45 PM
it would be interesting to create another data base with the same information for player 1990-95--and see if careers worked out better/worse/the same for players before the one and done era.

The difference with that time period is that detailed information on non-NBA league is not as available.

I took a look at RealGM, which is probably the best resource for that era and they list whether players were drafted and how many years of NBA service had. The difference in that era seems to be that most early entries were guaranteed stars or guys who had proven themselves over several college seasons or people on the other extreme who could not play further in college.

awhom111
06-02-2018, 12:38 AM
2017:
https://i.imgur.com/nLhWXlR.jpg

The text is getting so small that I will attach files for those who want to look more closely.

Color coding and symbols guide:
-Light Green: Full NBA salary
-Dark Green: Two-Way Contract
-Yellow: Partial season of NBA salary
-Dark Red: I could not find any organized basketball for the player
-Dark Purple: Drafted, but no full NBA contract
-Letters: Y: Full Season NBA Contract, T: Two-Way Contract, P: NBA Contract for part of the season, C: NBA Training Camp experience, N: No NBA experience (not including Summer League)
-* means that an overseas team is not in the highest division within that country.

Observations:
-If these lists get longer and longer, I may just quit.
-I am still calling it the D League as part of my sponsor name avoidance policy.
-Only 3 players out of 63 did not play any organized basketball, which is not bad, although Ted Kapita essentially did not play and and I wonder what the story was there.
-25 players were drafted in the first round
-12 more were drafted in the second round and all but 2 of them had full NBA contracts. Edmond Sumner had a two-way deal as he recovered from injury while Nigel Williams-Goss stashed himself in Europe, where he faces a choice with reported interest in him from higher level teams there.
-No players who was not drafted got a full season NBA contract with the pair not on two-way deals getting 10 day contracts.
-It's hard to argue that two-way contracts did not have an effect as 5 more undrafted players had them.
-8 players played overseas, which counts Isaac Humphries returning to his own country, and then double-dipping for more money after his season ended. It also counts L.J. Peak earning a little extra cash after the D League season.
-As always, some of these players have already been in college for four years and/or graduated and are just passing up additional college eligibility.

awhom111
06-04-2018, 12:15 AM
2016:
https://i.imgur.com/OoBI4Ir.jpg

The text is getting so small that I will attach files for those who want to look more closely.

2016 color coding and symbols guide:
-Light Green: Two seasons of full NBA salary
-Dark Green: Two seasons of full NBA salary and the team option for the third year of a first round pick rookie contract has been exercised.
-Yellow: At least one season of NBA salary
-Orange: At least a partial season of NBA salary
-Light Blue: At least a Two-Way contract
-Dark Red: I could not find any organized basketball for the player for either year
-Dark Purple: Drafted, but no regular NBA contract ever signed
-* next to a country means that an overseas team is not in the highest division within that country, while a * next to Full means that the player was paid a full season of NBA salary, but was not with an NBA team continuously for the whole season

Observations:
-18 of the 59 players were drafted in the first round, and 17 of those have had their option picked up for a third year. Wade Baldwin was also cut before the season opener, but that allowed him to double dip on salary.
-Second round picks are more of a mixed bag with only half of the 12 having full contracts for both seasons. Of the remaining 6, 4 only had a full contract for the first year, 1 had only a partial season, and Daniel Hamilton has still never signed, although the Thunder were nice enough to give him a Two-Way contract as their domestic draft and stash policy continues.
-1 undrafted player has both seasons under his belt, although Troy Williams has managed to get waived after the salary guarantee date in both seasons. 4 more have had at least one season while 1 has signed a Two-Way contract.
-Only 4 players have yet to play any organized basketball, although for all intents and purposes, neither have Ingrid Sewa or Mamadou Ndiaye and Anthony January also appears to not have played this season.
-There are all kinds of paths overseas. Jalen Reynolds started in the second division in Italy and impressed a top division team enough to get signed part way through the season. He stayed there this season and then impressed an elite European team enough to be signed for the end of the season.
-Sometimes research is really hard. I am pretty sure that Kareem Canty also played in Mongolia this season, but have been unable to find corroborating information. Tony Anderson may also have headed to Thailand recently.

awhom111
06-05-2018, 12:06 AM
2015:
https://i.imgur.com/hUexpFw.jpg

2015 color coding and symbols guide:
-* next to a country means that an overseas team is not in the highest division within that country, while a * next to Full means that the player was paid a full season of NBA salary, but was not with an NBA team continuously for the whole season
-Light Green: Three full seasons of full NBA salary
-Dark Green: Three full seasons of full NBA salary and the team option for the fourth year of a first round pick rookie contract has been exercised
-Yellow: At least two full seasons of full NBA salary
-Orange: At least one full season of full NBA salary
-Light Blue: At least a Two-Way contract
-Purple: Drafted, but has never signed any kind of NBA contract

Observations:
-22 of the 46 players were drafted in the first round and 17 will finish their rookie contracts. Jahlil is joined by Kevon Looney (which I am now sad about after being fine with it at the beginning of the season), Chris McCullough, and Rashad Vaughn in not having that last option taken. R.J. Hunter had already been waived.
-Only 2 second round picks have made it all four years (picks 32 and 33).
-2 players still have not had their rights resolved, but Dakari Johnson was finally rewarded with a full contract for sticking with the plan that the Thunder put in place.
-Everyone has played some organized basketball, although it looks like Jherrod Stiggers and Ashton Pankey, who is one of the players presumed to have graduated before declaring, have not played since their rookie seasons.

awhom111
06-09-2018, 12:49 AM
2014:

https://i.imgur.com/FD3HIh9.jpg

2014 color coding and symbols guide:
-Light Green: Four seasons of full NBA salary
-Yellow: At least three seasons of full NBA salary
-Orange: At least two seasons of full NBA salary
-Red: At least one season of full NBA salary
-Light Blue: At least a partial season of NBA salary
-Dark Red: No known organized basketball experience:

Observations:
-18 of 43 players have had continuous NBA careers, including a pair of second round picks.
-The Raptors were nice enough to renounce DeAndre Daniels's rights after his time being stashed did not show them that they should sign him at any point
-Only 4 players did not play professional basketball this season. 2 of them have no record of ever having done so. The other 2 of them were former first round picks. Jordan Adams has had injury problems so expect a comeback in the near future. Mitch McGary has also been a waste of a pick as he is focusing on bowling right now and may come back to basketball later.

awhom111
06-09-2018, 08:52 PM
2013:

https://i.imgur.com/WW0EAh2.jpg

2013 color coding and symbols guide:
-Light Green: Five seasons of full NBA salary
-Yellow: At least four seasons of full NBA salary
-Light Orange: At least three seasons of full NBA salary
-Red: At least two seasons of full NBA salary
-Light Blue: At least one season of full NBA salary
-Purple: At least a partial season of NBA salary
-Dark Red: No known history of competitive professional basketball

Observations:
-17 players out of 45 have had NBA careers the entire time, which puts them in second contract territory. Allen Crabbe is the only non-first round pick and he was taken at 31.
-Only Nurideen Lindsey has never really played anywhere, although more players are starting to not play anymore.
-The theme for me this year was players re-surfacing. For this one, that meant that Tahj Tate, who had only played American semi-pro basketball in the first season, resumed play in one of the many regional Mexican leagues. I suppose he could have been playing in even lower levels of organized play that does not keep records on the internet in between those times.

Reilly
06-09-2018, 11:10 PM
... I am still calling it the D League as part of my sponsor name avoidance policy ...

This made me laugh (in a good way).

So the 1924 White Phantoms were only that?

awhom111
06-12-2018, 12:54 AM
2012:
https://i.imgur.com/XjHSAT5.jpg

2012 color coding and symbols guide:
-Light Green: Six seasons of full NBA salary
-Yellow: At least five seasons of full NBA salary
-Orange: At least four seasons of full NBA salary
-Red: At least three seasons of full NBA salary
-Light Blue: At least two seasons of full NBA salary
-Purple: At least a partial season of NBA salary
-Dark Red: Virtually no known history of competitive professional basketball

Observations:
-After 6 seasons, 15 of the 47 players have had full NBA salaries for all years. 2 of them were 2nd round picks, but all of the rest were in the top half of the 1st round (making Thomas Robinson and Kendall Marshall the only players from that part of the draft the only ones not to be in the NBA).
-Besides those players, only Jonathan Simmons finished the season in the NBA.
-6 players have basically had no professional career. Some of them were not expected to, but there is also Renardo Sidney, who is still a colossal waste of talent. There were 8 total players that could have played somewhere that I could find no information on for this season.
-Gerardo Suero continues to be solely responsible for the small text since he plays locally during the European offseason as I continue to try to fit everything into one large resolution image.

awhom111
06-13-2018, 12:39 AM
This the last one I have:

https://i.imgur.com/b8gVlrS.jpg

2011 color coding and symbols guide:
-* next to a country means that an overseas team is not in the highest division within that country, while a * next to Full means that the player was paid a full season of NBA salary, but was not with an NBA team continuously for the whole season and a * next to draft position indicates that the player signed overseas during the lockout
-Light Green: Seven seasons of full NBA salary
-Dark Green: At least six seasons of full NBA salary
-Yellow: At least three seasons of full NBA salary
-Orange: At least two seasons of full NBA salary
-Red: At least one season of full NBA salary
-Light Blue: At least a partial season of NBA salary
-Purple: At least one NBA training camp
-Dark Red: Virtually no known history of competitive professional basketball

Observations:
-16 of 42 players have had continuous NBA careers. Other than Isaiah Thomas, all of them were first round picks.
-Shelvin Mack is just short of joining them as he had a partial season mixed with all other full seasons. Derrick Williams is the other guy with six full years, although it seems less likely that he will be in the NBA long-term.
-Interestingly, there were no players who had four or five years. Willie Reed's issues make it unlikely that the gap will close, although DeAndre Liggins could stick around.
-4 players have basically no professional career including Dan Kelm, my accounting hero.
-I could find no records of 9 players playing anywhere this season, although recent research suggest that I should drop that number because it looks like DeAngelo Casto changed his last name in the last few years, so I may have to make some corrections next year.
-The theme of my research this year has been players popping up again when I thought that they were done. There is no bigger case of that than former Maryland player Jordan Williams. He was drafted in the second round, waived after an unremarkable rookie season and then failed to catch on as he tried to start at a higher level in Europe. After not playing since that first season, he suddenly emerged in Romania this season to resume his career.

awhom111
06-08-2019, 04:28 PM
With the new rules, 2018 is probably the last new year that I will add, but I will continue to track the older classes for the foreseeable future.

The large number of years involved in the older groups makes the image pretty tough to see even on a big screen so I am attaching the underlying files to this post.

awhom111
06-08-2019, 04:29 PM
https://i.imgur.com/MJ835rD.jpg

2011:
Color-coding:
Dark Green: 8 full NBA seasons
Light Green: 7 full NBA seasons
Dark Blue: 6 full NBA seasons
Light Blue: 3 full NBA seasons
Yellow: 2 full NBA seasons
Orange: 1 full NBA season
Red: Partial NBA seasons only
Purple: essentially no professional career
* by Full means that the player was paid a full season of NBA salary, but spent at least part of the season not with an NBA team
* by a country name means the league is not the highest level of play in that country

-17 of 42 players have basically had continuous NBA careers with Isaiah Thomas being the only one who was not a first round pick
-RIP Tyler Honeycutt
-After popping back on the radar, Jordan Williams is off again, but that may have to do with criminality, which seems to have affected the careers of multiple players on this list
-As this gets wider, I keep thinking of ways to shrink it and I think the next step will be to remove play in regional leagues in the Dominican Republic as they are barely organized and often have no stats or other methods of confirmation other than news articles in local papers

awhom111
06-08-2019, 04:30 PM
https://i.imgur.com/af5B4cj.jpg

2012:
Color-coding:
Dark Green: 7 full NBA seasons
Light Green: 5 full NBA seasons
Dark Blue: 4 full NBA seasons
Orange: Partial NBA seasons only
* by Full means that the player was paid a full season of NBA salary, but spent at least part of the season not with an NBA team
* by a country name means the league is not the highest level of play in that country

-17 of 47 players have basically had continuous NBA career with none of them being drafted below 40
-It is not common for players who start completely on the outside to fight their way into a long career, but Jonathan Simmons continues to look to do that
-The Dominican regional leagues continue to the cause of this graphic getting smaller so they will probably be removed next year

awhom111
06-08-2019, 04:31 PM
https://i.imgur.com/94kjXFB.jpg

2013:
Color-coding:
Dark Green: 6 full NBA seasons
Light Green: 5 full NBA seasons
Dark Blue: 4 full NBA seasons
Red: Partial NBA seasons only

-15 of 45 players have had continuous NBA careers and the one drafted the lowest was picked 31st
-A couple other former lottery picks have also been in the NBA for nearly the entire time with Dewayne Dedmon carving out a career after being undrafted
-Lorenzo Brown is a weird case, having never earned a full season NBA contract, but still being involved in the league in every single season of his career
-His former teammate C.J. Leslie is to blame for this not being larger as I will probably remove his Dominican stint next year, but this is also a good time to say that play in the Big 3 league will not be included
-Deshaun Thomas may never play a game in the NBA despite being draft, although he has had a solid overseas career
-Sorry to CEBL fans, but for now your league will be considered not the highest level of play in Canada

awhom111
06-08-2019, 04:32 PM
https://i.imgur.com/cjjox6s.jpg

2014:
Color-coding:
Dark Green: 5 full NBA seasons
Light Green: 4 full NBA seasons
Dark Blue: 3 full NBA seasons
Light Blue: 2 full NBA seasons
Yellow: 1 full NBA season
Orange: Partial NBA seasons only

-16 of 43 players have had continuous NBA contracts
-Jordan Adams returned from a serious injury and this is a good time to point out that some degree of organized league play is required to be included so exhibition and very short term tournaments will not be mentioned even if some of them pay pretty well
-DeAndre Daniels definitely thinks that being drafted is overrated as he was picked fairly high, but has never even been invited to training camp, much less close to playing in a game

awhom111
06-08-2019, 04:33 PM
https://i.imgur.com/0nCevQv.jpg

2015:
Color-coding:
Dark Green: 4 full NBA seasons
Dark Blue: Partial NBA seasons or two-way contracts only
Red: Draft rights unresolved

-20 of 46 players have had continuous NBA careers with only one person outside the first round at 32
-Tyler Harvey is highlighted in red as he was drafted, but has not actually had any NBA exposure while two other players have not played in a game after being drafted, having only gone to training camp
-So far this is a pretty successful group overall with everyone playing professionally last season except for two players, who both were in college for four years and thus presumably graduated, though you can never be sure when Maryland is involved

awhom111
06-08-2019, 04:34 PM
https://i.imgur.com/5pHOqW5.jpg

Color-coding:
Dark Green: 3 full NBA seasons and 4th year option exercised
Light Green: 3 full NBA seasons
Light Blue: 2 full NBA seasons
Orange: Partial NBA seasons
Dark Blue: Two-way contract only

-14 of 18 players picked in the first round have had their fourth years picked up
-19 of 58 players have had continuous NBA careers with only one person outside the first round at 33
-Only 17 of the players have not made an NBA appearance, which is good since not all the entries are expecting to ever be in the NBA
-On that note, 2 of the 3 players who have not had much of a career started their college careers as African foreign students at universities in the Philippines, which can be lucrative if you live up to expectations, before coming here to continue with basketball
-Research gets trick at times and it is mostly Kareem Canty's fault as he reportedly played in Mongolia before this season, which I could not confirm, and supposedly has been playing in Libya, which has also been a struggle to investigate

awhom111
06-08-2019, 04:35 PM
https://i.imgur.com/M4ZfjCY.jpg

Color-coding:
Dark Green: 2 full NBA seasons and 3rd year option exercised
Light Green: 2 full NBA seasons
Orange: Partial NBA seasons
Light Blue: Two-way contract only

-23 of 25 players draft in the first round had their third year options picked up, with Tyler Lydon missing out and Justin Patton not even getting the chance to see out the season
-35 of 63 players had full contracts for both seasons and all were drafted
-Nigel Williams-Goss is building up a strong overseas career even though he may not have his rights resolved any time soon
-This was the first year that players could sign two-way contracts as rookies and there are already signs that it could be a useful springboard
-Only 17 of the players have not made an NBA appearance, which is not a bad ratio at all
-It is too early to say that any of these players have not had much of a career, but Ted Kapita's career has been particularly disappointing as he has barely played in any games, only briefly being under any contract at all after occasionally looking like he had potential in college
-The increase in numbers means that I split the graphic for readability in situations where the picture does not automatically re-size

awhom111
06-08-2019, 04:36 PM
https://i.imgur.com/u8JLtJM.jpg

2018:
Color-coding:
Dark Green: Full NBA season
Yellow: Partial NBA seasons
Orange: Two-way contract only
Dark Blue: Training camp

NBA column:
Y: Full season
P: Partial season
T: Two-way contract
C: Training camp only
N: No NBA

-42 of 77 players were drafted
-No player who was not drafted had an NBA contract for the entire season
-Two-way contracts continued to be put to good use with 12 being signed, including a pair of second round picks, although we should not really count Malik Newman's stay unless we know if he was guaranteed any money while Allonzo Trier got a full contract for most of the season after early strong play on his deal
-I highlighted training camp invites as well because new rules are making it more common for guaranteed money to be attached to those deals
-Only four players did not appear to play organized basketball anywhere so at this point at least, concerns about the record number of entrants should not be too big
-Two players have not had their rights resolved as Justin Jackson was injured and Tony Carr decided to play for Larry Brown, at least managing to jump ship before the team got relegated