PDA

View Full Version : K meets the press

Olympic Fan
06-01-2016, 05:46 PM
Coach K has a brief media availability today to open the K Academy. Not a lot of hard news, but he did say:

-- Sean Obi is facing surgery this summer. I assume knee surgery, but he didn't specify. I also thought he was hinting that Sean might not play next season, although that was just my interpretation of what he said.

-- Four freshmen have been at Duke the last two weeks (Giles, Tatum, Jackson and DeLaurier). DeLaurier will head home for a few days to graduate. He'll be back for a June 5 session, along with Marques Bolden. K said that everybody will be on campus in early July, giving them plenty of time to bond.

-- Amile Jefferson is 100 percent -- not only over the injury, but running well again. He tabbed Jefferson as the likely floor leader for next year's team.

-- K is not worried in the least by the Zika threat in Rio. He's taking much of his family with him, including several grandkids. He pointed out that August is winter in Rio (although it's so close to the equator that even in winter, the weather will be warm). He's not sure of the composition of his team -- he won't know the lineup until late June. He'll be gone from mid-July to late August. In the meantime, Coach Capel will remain and run things on campus.

-- Asked how much longer he'll coach, K refused to look into the future -- but he did say that after his surgeries this spring, he feels better (and younger) than he has in years.

The whole presser ought to be posted on goDuke by this point, or very soon.

Karl Beem
06-01-2016, 05:54 PM
Coach K has a brief media availability today to open the K Academy. Not a lot of hard news, but he did say:

-- Sean Obi is facing surgery this summer. I assume knee surgery, but he didn't specify. I also thought he was hinting that Sean might not play next season, although that was just my interpretation of what he said.

-- Four freshmen have been at Duke the last two weeks (Giles, Tatum, Jackson and DeLaurier). DeLaurier will head home for a few days to graduate. He'll be back for a June 5 session, along with Marques Bolden. K said that everybody will be on campus in early July, giving them plenty of time to bond.

-- Amile Jefferson is 100 percent -- not only over the injury, but running well again. He tabbed Jefferson as the likely floor leader for next year's team.

-- K is not worried in the least by the Zika threat in Rio. He's taking much of his family with him, including several grandkids. He pointed out that August is winter in Rio (although it's so close to the equator that even in winter, the weather will be warm). He's not sure of the composition of his team -- he won't know the lineup until late June. He'll be gone from mid-July to late August. In the meantime, Coach Capel will remain and run things on campus.

-- Asked how much longer he'll coach, K refused to look into the future -- but he did say that after his surgeries this spring, he feels better (and younger) than he has in years.

I can see his grandkids in Hazmat suits.

flyingdutchdevil
06-01-2016, 06:09 PM

Because Coach K prefers shorter rotations ;)

In fairness, Obi was likely to play in 30+ point blowouts. It'd be better if Obi took a year to fix whatever is ailing him.

sagegrouse
06-01-2016, 06:37 PM
-- K is not worried in the least by the Zika threat in Rio. He's taking much of his family with him, including several grandkids. He pointed out that August is winter in Rio (although it's so close to the equator that even in winter, the weather will be warm).

Average high in Rio in August is 79 degrees F and average low is 66 degrees. Although most of the Zika threat is in the the north of the country near the mouth of the Amazon, it's still warm enough for mosquitoes. I was in Rio for three days last October and, along the beach areas like Ipanema and Copacabana, it was chilly.

weezie
06-01-2016, 06:47 PM
Hmmm, this doesn't help the cause...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/international/ct-mlb-francisco-rodriguez-zika-spt-20160601-story.html

-jk
06-01-2016, 07:01 PM
Love me my DEET!

(I had rocky mt spotted fever once upon a time...)

-jk

flyingdutchdevil
06-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Hmmm, this doesn't help the cause...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/international/ct-mlb-francisco-rodriguez-zika-spt-20160601-story.html

Then Rodriguez had a very extreme case of Zika. Zika is like a cold or a veeeeeeery mild flu for the vast majority of patients. And the risk behind Zika isn't to the host but rather to future offspring in the form of microcephaly.

IMO, athletes/audiences who aren't looking to get pregnant in the next 12 months have little to worry about and are at low risk of death. I'd be more worried about Brazilian violence and the political instability than Zika. But that's the perspective of someone working in the biopharma industry.

-jk
06-01-2016, 08:16 PM
Then Rodriguez had a very extreme case of Zika. Zika is like a cold or a veeeeeeery mild flu for the vast majority of patients. And the risk behind Zika isn't to the host but rather to future offspring in the form of microcephaly.

IMO, athletes/audiences who aren't looking to get pregnant in the next 12 months have little to worry about and are at low risk of death. I'd be more worried about Brazilian violence and the political instability than Zika. But that's the perspective of someone working in the biopharma industry.

Well, microcephaly and Guillain-Barré...

Both suck. The latter really messes with an athletic career.

-jk

gep
06-02-2016, 12:51 AM

Back to the Duke team... THIS ^^^ males me VERY HAPPY!!!:cool:

Spanarkel
06-02-2016, 07:47 AM

-- Sean Obi is facing surgery this summer. I assume knee surgery, but he didn't specify.

Possibly bariatric.

UrinalCake
06-02-2016, 10:29 AM
Back to the Duke team... THIS ^^^ males me VERY HAPPY!!!:cool:

Absolutely! I thought it was really odd how we hadn't received ANY updates on Amile's status since it was announced that he was redshirting. Most fans have assumed that he'd be healed by the fall, but the lack of information was starting to concern me just a bit. It was such a strange injury that just lingered forever. Anyways, awesome to hear that he's 100% and will be able to work out all summer and be ready to roll.

Billy Dat
06-02-2016, 10:58 AM
First off, anytime K gives an offseason 20 minute talk, it's mandatory viewing as far as I am concerned so I urge everyone to watch it on GoDuke.com

Some other observations:

-When asked about the challenges of a deep roster next year, K said he chooses to examine the opportunities they present, not to consider the negatives (e.g. guys being worried about playing time). He said that everyone has to buy into winning and that's what he expects. He also alluded to the fact that there won't be platoons per say by saying (paraphrase), "It's not like we are going to make it so that everyone plays an equal amount. Even on the Olympic Team with all that talent, some of the guys are better than the rest, and you design around those guys and everyone else has to play a role that fits"

-There was one reporter up front asking some inane questions toward the end and K, because he was in the loose and relaxed atmosphere of the K Center and the K Academy, had some snarky edge fun in response instead of shooting to kill. He was in a relaxed good mood in general and was having fun.

-He said this is the most players he's ever had back for K Academy so I am thinking it would be smart for those interested to check out photos that are sure to post to either Blue Planet or Go Duke. Watching the interview, seeing Sean Dockery stroll past, looking very adult and more muscular than his playing days and Ryan Kelly looking Mountain Man in a hat and full beard, made me want to see more pics of the older guys.

-K said the Olympic squad will be announced at the very end of June and that's it's really fluid up until the last moments as you have to check on injuries and contract situations. But, with the pool of 30, he knows they'll have enough guys to get the job done and lauded the pool system for it's allowance for this kind of uncertainty.

-He pointed out that modern basketball doesn't rely on a true point guard. He said while guys like Chris Paul, who are true floor leader PGs are awesome to have, that game has changed to where non traditional PGs play that role all the time - the Kyrie/Lebron tandem in Cleveland, Curry/Thompson in GS, Westbrook not being a traditional PG, etc.

-He mentioned that with one-and-dones, you try and get a kid on campus as early as possible. For the first time every, guys are attending the first summer session, taking place now, that has never happened before. As Olympic Fan wrote, he said that is key as they have longer to develop chemistry with each other but also to get used to the routine. In Giles case, for example, he said that he's got to get used to a pretty rigorous schedule that includes twice daily rehab plus school, etc. That's an adjustment for a teenager, and K is happy that they can get this early start. I got the impression that this is another way the game will change...kids who are potential one-and-dones working with schools to get on campus as early as possible. Many will be returning home for high school graduations. He also mentioned that Marques Bolden (which he pronounced Mar-kweese) couldn't get there until second session but that they football program had pioneered a more intensive summer academic program to get kids up to speed quicker and that he'd be participating in that - I am not sure the details but cool that Hoops and Football are sharing best practices, and K lauded his academic colleagues for their flexibility in working with the sports programs to design programs that fit the student-athletes needs - and I don't think we're talking about no-show classes and rubber stamp grades.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-02-2016, 11:00 AM

Sure... except that I've always heard rumors of rampant sexual behavior in the olympic villages. So, if a handful of people get bit by infected mosquitoes, and the disease is spread between athletes at the rate I have heard... then you have a LOT of infected, young, fit people coming home to countries all across the world.

Quite a recipe for disaster.

Saratoga2
06-02-2016, 11:15 AM
Great to hear Amile is in condition to play. His value as a floor leader is critical to the team's success. That Sean Obi is facing surgery (presumably on his knee(s), seems to indicate he will not play this year, what with the quality and depth inside. The comment about non-traditional PG play speaks to this team as the fans have wondered how that will work next season. Will it be Grayson, Luke, Matt or Frank or some combination of that group or will Jayson also find himself in that role? I presume that Grayson will be looked at as a scorer so the burden of bringing the ball up and play making will be given to others.

budwom
06-02-2016, 12:11 PM
Amile is 100% over the injury though we don't even know what it was because it's private and we have no right and it's secret and it's a lower body injury! :)

I'm just happy "it" is fully healed, whatever "it" was.

DukieTiger
06-02-2016, 12:25 PM
I'm always amazed at how far ahead of the curve Krzyzewski and Duke are. Several things come to mind that are relevant to K's comments and some also related to other current happenings.

The immediate one is having incoming freshmen come in early to get a jump on the onboarding process. As others have said, you can almost guarantee that other schools will follow suit in the years to come. What a wonderful thing, especially for a guy like Harry Giles, who has a whole summer of access to world class PT.

The corollary to this recent development is the move Duke made in 2002-2003 to take a trip overseas in lieu of formal exhibition games. It gave the team an early start to practice and a head start on some team building with one of Duke's biggest incoming classes ever - with apologies to the class of 16, this was the original Super Six.

The other thing K mentioned in his comments was having non-traditional point guard play this year, and demonstrating that trend in the NBA as well. This isn't the first year Duke has had a non-traditional PG combination- you could argue Jones/Cook fit the mold, definitely Curry/Rivers and Smith/Scheyer. While Duke has recruited pure PGs like Tyus, they certainly have been content to nab up as many combo guards as they can and let them share the ball-handling responsibilities. Others have done it as well, but I don't think anyone has done it as consistently as Duke has.

Two other things that people love talking about in NBA coverage lately are shooting tons of three-pointers and position-less basketball. This is where I mention that K has been playing that way for years. The Cavs and Warriors might set a record for number of threes launched in an NBA finals series over the next two weeks, while sliding guys like Lebron and Draymond Green all over the court. Not saying that K invented those strategies or propagated them to the NBA. Just saying that the 2001 Duke national champions hold the NCAA record for 3-pointers attempted and made in a season. And K has shuffled guys like Grant Hill, Mike Dunleavy and Justice Winslow all over the court- to name 3 decades.

Early starts, international travel, position-less basketball, take lots of threes and limit your opponents' threes, and flexibility at the PG "position". Not an exhaustive list, but enough to cause me to marvel at the innovative Coach K.

Olympic Fan
06-02-2016, 01:27 PM
The corollary to this recent development is the move Duke made in 2002-2003 to take a trip overseas in lieu of formal exhibition games. It gave the team an early start to practice and a head start on some team building with one of Duke's biggest incoming classes ever - with apologies to the class of 16, this was the original Super Six..

I would argue that the original Super Six was the prep class of 1982 that was the foundation of K's regime. True, one flopped (Jackman) and another was a minor role player (Williams), but the other four (Dawkins, Alarie, Henderson and Bilas) were all studs who took Duke from 11-17 to 37-3 over the course of their careers. The prep class of 2002, as good as it was, had its disappointments (Thompson ... to some degree Randolph).

BTW, that 1982 class also benefited from a summer trip overseas. After their 11-17 freshman year, they went to Spain over the summer and really benefited from the bonding experience. The one problem with the trip is that freshmen were not allowed to go, so recruit Tommy Amaker, who was expected to take over at the point, had to stay home. That's what K corrected in the fall of 2002, when he schedule his overseas trip un the fall -- after classes had begun -- so that the freshmen could take part,

Interesting that his innovation became so popular that the NCAA changed its rules, allowing freshmen who enrolled in the summer to join the team for an overseas trip (programs are allowed one such trip every four years). That allowed Austin Rivers and company to join the team for its China/Dubai trip before the 2011-12 season.

I was just thinking the other day that Duke hasn't been overseas since them. According to the four-year rule, Duke is eligible for another off-season trip. Maybe next summer (when K no longer has to worry about USA Basketball)?

budwom
06-02-2016, 01:45 PM
I'm always amazed at how far ahead of the curve Krzyzewski and Duke are. Several things come to mind that are relevant to K's comments and some also related to other current happenings.

The immediate one is having incoming freshmen come in early to get a jump on the onboarding process. As others have said, you can almost guarantee that other schools will follow suit in the years to come. What a wonderful thing, especially for a guy like Harry Giles, who has a whole summer of access to world class PT.

The corollary to this recent development is the move Duke made in 2002-2003 to take a trip overseas in lieu of formal exhibition games. It gave the team an early start to practice and a head start on some team building with one of Duke's biggest incoming classes ever - with apologies to the class of 16, this was the original Super Six.

The other thing K mentioned in his comments was having non-traditional point guard play this year, and demonstrating that trend in the NBA as well. This isn't the first year Duke has had a non-traditional PG combination- you could argue Jones/Cook fit the mold, definitely Curry/Rivers and Smith/Scheyer. While Duke has recruited pure PGs like Tyus, they certainly have been content to nab up as many combo guards as they can and let them share the ball-handling responsibilities. Others have done it as well, but I don't think anyone has done it as consistently as Duke has.

Two other things that people love talking about in NBA coverage lately are shooting tons of three-pointers and position-less basketball. This is where I mention that K has been playing that way for years. The Cavs and Warriors might set a record for number of threes launched in an NBA finals series over the next two weeks, while sliding guys like Lebron and Draymond Green all over the court. Not saying that K invented those strategies or propagated them to the NBA. Just saying that the 2001 Duke national champions hold the NCAA record for 3-pointers attempted and made in a season. And K has shuffled guys like Grant Hill, Mike Dunleavy and Justice Winslow all over the court- to name 3 decades.

Early starts, international travel, position-less basketball, take lots of threes and limit your opponents' threes, and flexibility at the PG "position". Not an exhaustive list, but enough to cause me to marvel at the innovative Coach K.

good stuff. This year will be interesting for numerous reasons, not the least of which will be that in addition to our three point shooting capabilities, we'll have
virtually (and I say this cautiously) an unprecedented combination of talent, size and depth at the big men "positions" (which, yes, we don't have). I look forward to seeing how K
molds this bunch.

Billy Dat
06-02-2016, 02:06 PM
K Academy Photos - hopefully they'll keep adding them
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/201617/K-Academy-2016/

Troublemaker
06-02-2016, 02:32 PM

But Dean Smith invented pointing.

flyingdutchdevil
06-02-2016, 02:39 PM
Sure... except that I've always heard rumors of rampant sexual behavior in the olympic villages. So, if a handful of people get bit by infected mosquitoes, and the disease is spread between athletes at the rate I have heard... then you have a LOT of infected, young, fit people coming home to countries all across the world.

Quite a recipe for disaster.

Condoms, my friend, condoms. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/the-100-000-condoms-of-sochi-olympics-211349367.html

If athletes don't want to take precautions in the form of condoms, that's their choice.

Olympic Fan
06-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Condoms, my friend, condoms. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/the-100-000-condoms-of-sochi-olympics-211349367.html

If athletes don't want to take precautions in the form of condoms, that's their choice.

One of the interesting stories from the 1936 Olympics was that Hitler (well, the Nazis, it probably didn't get to his level) sent dozens of single young women into the Village to mate with athletes from around the world (I'm sure they were selective about the race of the athletes they mated with). The idea was to improve the "Master race". The pregnant girls and their babies were cared for and raised by the Nazi state.

CrazyNotCrazie
06-02-2016, 02:55 PM
One of the interesting stories from the 1936 Olympics was that Hitler (well, the Nazis, it probably didn't get to his level) sent dozens of single young women into the Village to mate with athletes from around the world (I'm sure they were selective about the race of the athletes they mated with). The idea was to improve the "Master race". The pregnant girls and their babies were cared for and raised by the Nazi state.

So if you meet someone born in Germany in the spring of 1937, one can only wonder who their father really was...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-02-2016, 03:21 PM

Sure, it's their choice. Until they bring the disease back to their home countries and infect others, spreading Zika across the world. Then, it's their choice that affects all of the rest of us.

I mean, I am not having kids, but it sure is going to be depressing to see these deformed children. Ugh.

But yeah, K, good news on Amile!

Probably should shuffle this discussion to the Olympics thread.

Indoor66
06-02-2016, 03:28 PM
But Dean Smith invented pointing.

Actually, Dean invented everything after Naismith cut the bottom out of the peach basket.

jimsumner
06-02-2016, 03:41 PM
Actually, Dean invented everything after Naismith cut the bottom out of the peach basket.

You almost certainly know this narrative.

But for those who don't.

James Naismith coached at Kansas.

One of his players there was Forrest "Phog" Allen.

Allen coached at Kansas.

One of his players was Dean E. Smith.

So, Carolina actually preached that Smith had some sort of special pipeline to basketball's origins.

And, of course that was transmitted to all of his players/coaches, including not only Roy Williams but younger members of his coaching lineage, i.e. Hubert Davis, King Rice, Brian Reese.

So, 40 years from now, we can hear how coach Kendall Marshall traces his coaching lineage back to the creation of the game in the 1890s.

Well, 40 years from now might be a tad optimistic for me.

But you get my drift.

BD80
06-02-2016, 03:43 PM
Possibly bariatric.

Obi is too young for geriatric surgery. Wait, there is a surgery to cure aging?

I was just thinking the other day that Duke hasn't been overseas since them. According to the four-year rule, Duke is eligible for another off-season trip. Maybe next summer (when K no longer has to worry about USA Basketball)?

Wouldn't it be amusing if Coach K finagled a trip to Rio for the team for the Olympics? They could play some of the Olympic teams as warm up games.

calipari's head would just explode.

jimsumner
06-02-2016, 03:48 PM
Obi is too young for geriatric surgery. Wait, there is a surgery to cure aging?

I was hoping for a pill.

MChambers
06-02-2016, 04:47 PM
I was hoping for a pill.

If surgery works, it would be worth it!

Billy Dat
06-02-2016, 04:51 PM
K Academy Photos - hopefully they'll keep adding them
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/201617/K-Academy-2016/

Obi's knees may be shot, but the guy looks like he could play The Hulk! Man, he is JACKED!

flyingdutchdevil
06-02-2016, 05:08 PM
Obi's knees may be shot, but the guy looks like he could play The Hulk! Man, he is JACKED!

A few "keen" observations
-Jabari does not age well.
-Ryan Kelly looks way too LA. He's a giant LA hipster.
-Is Shelden still playing? Cus he's way too jacked right now
-Who is the really tall white player with a backwards baseball cap and long, hockey hair? If that is Zoubek, holy cow...
-Justin Robinson is tall and has good genes. Hopefully he comes around

DukieTiger
06-02-2016, 05:33 PM
I would argue that the original Super Six was the prep class of 1982 that was the foundation of K's regime. True, one flopped (Jackman) and another was a minor role player (Williams), but the other four (Dawkins, Alarie, Henderson and Bilas) were all studs who took Duke from 11-17 to 37-3 over the course of their careers. The prep class of 2002, as good as it was, had its disappointments (Thompson ... to some degree Randolph).

BTW, that 1982 class also benefited from a summer trip overseas. After their 11-17 freshman year, they went to Spain over the summer and really benefited from the bonding experience. The one problem with the trip is that freshmen were not allowed to go, so recruit Tommy Amaker, who was expected to take over at the point, had to stay home. That's what K corrected in the fall of 2002, when he schedule his overseas trip un the fall -- after classes had begun -- so that the freshmen could take part,

Interesting that his innovation became so popular that the NCAA changed its rules, allowing freshmen who enrolled in the summer to join the team for an overseas trip (programs are allowed one such trip every four years). That allowed Austin Rivers and company to join the team for its China/Dubai trip before the 2011-12 season.

Thanks, Al - I should have added the disclaimer that I'm an 80's baby so I'm not as up on some of the earlier K days. :) No surprise that he was doing some of these things even back then!

I too am wondering when the next overseas trip will be. The past couple trips have (seemingly) been strategically timed for years with particularly significant roster turnover. I'm going to vote for next summer as well, the timing should be perfect with what Duke will probably lose and no more USABB for K, as you say.

One other thought: are we looking at another year of GQ Obi on the bench? Hopefully the guy gets healthy, but in the case that he does not play, I look forward to the outfits!

devildeac
06-02-2016, 06:05 PM
I was hoping for a pill.

"One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small..."

Indoor66
06-02-2016, 07:52 PM

All I know is that if I ever need one of your pills, I sure hope it is available... somewhere! :cool:

TKG
06-02-2016, 08:13 PM

Yeah, but the ones your mother gives you don't do anything, at all!!!!!

TKG
06-02-2016, 08:17 PM
Wouldn't it be amusing if Coach K finagled a trip to Rio for the team for the Olympics? They could play some of the Olympic teams as warm up games.

calipari's head would just explode.

Well, one overseas trip is allowed every four years. Cannot recall the last such trip for Duke. I think it was China and few other stops but am not sure of the year. So, it may not be that far fetched.

CameronBlue
06-02-2016, 08:51 PM

One of those requires a prescription...um, for performance enhancement. Just tell your doctor you're getting it for a friend who is kindof shy.

Bob Green
06-02-2016, 09:10 PM

http://www.wsj.com/articles/how-jefferson-airplanes-grace-slick-wrote-white-rabbit-1464712102

Olympic Fan
06-02-2016, 10:57 PM
Well, one overseas trip is allowed every four years. Cannot recall the last such trip for Duke. I think it was China and few other stops but am not sure of the year. So, it may not be that far fetched.

I mentioned it up-thread -- in was in August of 2011 -- the team played games in China and Dubai and literally traveled around the world.

We could have taken a trip before the 2016 season (in the summer of 2015) or we could have scheduled one this summer -- but we did not.

So we can take another summer trip any time Coach K wants ...

Billy Dat
06-02-2016, 11:01 PM
I mentioned it up-thread -- in was in August of 2011 -- the team played games in China and Dubai and literally traveled around the world.

We could have taken a trip before the 2016 season (in the summer of 2015) or we could have scheduled one this summer -- but we did not.

So we can take another summer trip any time Coach K wants ...

Maybe the increased off-season contact and coaching time coaching staffs get with players has made these trips less necessary.

aimo
06-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Grabbed a late-ish dinner last night at the Bull Durham Pub (Washington Duke). Saw Chris Carrawell, Chris Duhon, Jason Williams, Danny Ferry, and quite a few old farts that looked rather stiff and sore.

Oh, and the freshman made an appearance, Giles, Tatum, and Jackson. Babies!

Rich
06-03-2016, 11:42 AM
A few "keen" observations
-Jabari does not age well.
-Ryan Kelly looks way too LA. He's a giant LA hipster.
-Is Shelden still playing? Cus he's way too jacked right now
-Who is the really tall white player with a backwards baseball cap and long, hockey hair? If that is Zoubek, holy cow...
-Justin Robinson is tall and has good genes. Hopefully he comes around

Wondering the same thing, but I think it is Zoubs. He really is huge. If he played in the era of Game of Thrones his nickname would have been "The Mountain."

jacone21
06-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Jabari looks like that quiet kid in your java programming class.

Billy Dat
06-03-2016, 12:58 PM
Jabari looks like that quiet kid in your java programming class.

Looking at the Jabari pics, it is clear that the kid has lost tons of weight. Good for him.

In the batch of pics from Day 2, I spotted William Avery which was nice to see. Based on my review of the pics, I have seen:

Giles, Tatum, Amile, Grayson, Luke, Matt Jones, Chase, Obi, Jah, the current coaches, Zoubek, Dockery, Gerald Henderson, William Avery, Ricky Price, Ferry, David McClure, Chief, Billy King, JWill, Rodney Hood, Duhon, Alaa, C-Well and Thornton (thanks Wojo for giving them time off) and Ryan Kelly. That's off the top of my head.

The pick-up games must be awesome.

CDu
06-03-2016, 04:48 PM
Wondering the same thing, but I think it is Zoubs. He really is huge. If he played in the era of Game of Thrones his nickname would have been "The Mountain."

It is most certainly Zoubek.

flyingdutchdevil
06-03-2016, 04:53 PM
It is most certainly Zoubek.

Zoubs got very good-looking.

flyingdutchdevil
06-03-2016, 05:01 PM
More "keen" observations:
-The in-look across most players: facial-hair hipster (McClure, Kelly, Zoubs) or homeless (Parker, Okafor)
-Does Cook ever look not happy?
-Frank Jackson's persona and facial expressions remind me of Cook (always happy and full of personality)
-Giles is really skinny
-Tatum is biiiiiiiig

flyingdutchdevil
06-06-2016, 12:20 PM
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/201617/K-Academy-14/K-Academy-Day-4/i-953wqff/A

Troublemaker
06-06-2016, 12:39 PM
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/201617/K-Academy-14/K-Academy-Day-4/i-953wqff/A

Looks like Brennan Besser (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210294987&DB_OEM_ID=4200).

flyingdutchdevil
06-06-2016, 12:40 PM
Looks like Brennan Besser (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210294987&DB_OEM_ID=4200).

Thanks. Makes sense. He has the height (6'5") when you look at the pictures (please no cinder block comments...)

Spanarkel
06-06-2016, 12:56 PM
Thanks. Makes sense. He has the height (6'5") when you look at the pictures (please no cinder block comments...)

Son of Chicago's Intersport CEO Charles Besser

FerryFor50
06-06-2016, 01:10 PM
My favorite shots so far...

https://photos.smugmug.com/201617/K-Academy-14/K-Academy-Day-4/i-LGxtwtp/0/X2/DSC_2008-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/201617/K-Academy-14/K-Academy-Day-4/i-FGcBXVM/0/X2/DSC_1867-X2.jpg

devildeac
06-06-2016, 01:13 PM
My favorite shots so far...

https://photos.smugmug.com/201617/K-Academy-14/K-Academy-Day-4/i-LGxtwtp/0/X2/DSC_2008-X2.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/201617/K-Academy-14/K-Academy-Day-4/i-FGcBXVM/0/X2/DSC_1867-X2.jpg

The first photo looks like an offensive foul on Duke from my perspective :rolleyes: .

ChillinDuke
06-06-2016, 01:17 PM
The first photo looks like an offensive foul on Duke from my perspective :rolleyes: .

Karl Hess, is that you? And what have you done with DD?

- Chillin

devildeac
06-06-2016, 02:11 PM
Karl Hess, is that you? And what have you done with DD?

- Chillin

Not KH here but a little younger and even more disagreeable :o:rolleyes:...

DD has been sequestered. Without a keyboard...

TKG
06-06-2016, 09:42 PM
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/201617/K-Academy-14/K-Academy-Day-4/i-W6WsnHj/A

Would someone please help me? I cannot place this guy.

GLTBD
06-06-2016, 09:48 PM
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/201617/K-Academy-14/K-Academy-Day-4/i-W6WsnHj/A

Would someone please help me? I cannot place this guy.

Vince Taylor (according to my husband who was at camp).

TKG
06-06-2016, 09:55 PM

Thank you.

summerwind03
06-07-2016, 07:05 AM

Does he have any good stories you can share? How was his experience?

BER6493
06-07-2016, 09:39 AM
For anyone who has Instagram, but may not be following Sean Dockery (sdoc15) he posted a short video of one of the pick-up games from the past week that is definitely worth checking out. The 2 best parts of the video are:
1. Amile is playing and brings the ball up the court.
2. Jayson Tatum and Jabari go at each other.

flyingdutchdevil
06-07-2016, 11:37 AM
For anyone who has Instagram, but may not be following Sean Dockery (sdoc15) he posted a short video of one of the pick-up games from the past week that is definitely worth checking out. The 2 best parts of the video are:

Ummmmm...Tatum is ridiculous. I know... it's just pick-up. But wow! He was either going hard, or his pick-up pace is the equivalent of everyone else's hard.

Also, Jabari playing Jabari defense... :(

FerryFor50
06-07-2016, 01:05 PM

Link if anyone's interested.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGTBJDyBseD/?taken-by=sdoc15

BD80
06-07-2016, 02:13 PM
Link if anyone's interested.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGTBJDyBseD/?taken-by=sdoc15

Looks like pick-up basketball at my gym. The only pass is the inbound pass