PDA

View Full Version : "The Offseason with Jon Scheyer" Podcast

Troublemaker
06-01-2016, 01:28 PM
GoDuke link
(http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210990488&DB_OEM_ID=4200)
This might be very interesting. 12 weekly episodes.

A national champion as both a player and coach at Duke, Scheyer will use his unique perspective to provide listeners with insight into what the offseason is like for coaches and players in both the Duke men’s basketball program and college basketball in general.

Troublemaker
06-01-2016, 02:59 PM
I just subscribed via Itunes and listened to the 2-minute teaser from Jon.

Apparently Nolan will be joning Jon on this podcast.

I'm getting pretty pumped about this. Can't wait for June 10th.

subzero02
06-01-2016, 03:47 PM
Cool. This will make the offseason easier to deal with. There's a lot to discuss regarding this upcoming season. Two of our likely starters will be returning from season ending injuries. I hope we get some positive news about their recoveries through these podcasts.

Turk
06-01-2016, 05:49 PM
A national champion as both a player and coach ...

That would be an interesting list.... I don't think anyone has won as both player and head coach (that I can think of). Who has some free time to hit the Googler?

dball
06-01-2016, 06:03 PM

That would be an interesting list... I don't think anyone has won as both player and head coach (that I can think of). Who has some free time to hit the Googler?

John Wooden. As player it was pre NCAA

weezie
06-01-2016, 06:48 PM
This is great! Good for Jon. Maybe he'll have blazindw as a guest.

UrinalCake
06-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Looks like the DBR podcast has some competition. Time to step up your game, fellas! :)

This podcast sounds awesome and will definitely fill a void during the summer. I believe Kentucky has a radio show that talks hoops every day all summer long. Made me jealous. There should be plenty to talk about between the new players, summer workouts, recapping last season, previewing next season, etc.

Troublemaker
06-10-2016, 10:11 AM
Bump.

Haven't listened to episode 1 yet, but it's available.

OldPhiKap
06-10-2016, 11:38 AM

That would be an interesting list... I don't think anyone has won as both player and head coach (that I can think of). Who has some free time to hit the Googler?

Dean Smith was on Kansas' team in '52 when they won the NC, IIRC. No idea if he played, or what kind of player he was.

(I know he was a cheating hypocrite as a coach, but that's not news.)

Edit: per http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/kuathletics.com/documents/2016/1/27/KU_mbb_career_stats_for_all_players.pdf

Dean appeared in 19 games that season, averaging 2.0 ppg. (the year prior he averaged 0.6 ppg and appeared in 5 games; the following year he averaged 1.9 ppg and appeared in 25 games). His love of low-scoring games must have come from a lack of personal scoring in college; at least that's my new theory.

vfefrenzy
06-10-2016, 02:03 PM
Listened to the first ep and liked it a lot. Jah raised an interesting question for me. Who would win between the 14 and 16 recruiting classes in a game? Obviously they'd have to play 4 on 4. I will always side with Tyus Stones, but what does everyone else think?

kAzE
06-10-2016, 02:53 PM
Listened to the first ep and liked it a lot. Jah raised an interesting question for me. Who would win between the 14 and 16 recruiting classes in a game? Obviously they'd have to play 4 on 4. I will always side with Tyus Stones, but what does everyone else think?

Why would it be 4 on 4? You not counting Semi Ojeleye?

Even still, I'll take 2014 as well. I know for a fact that Justise Winslow, Grayson Allen, Jah Okafor, and Tyus Jones can ball.

vfefrenzy
06-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Semi was 13 with Jabari.

CDu
06-12-2016, 08:27 PM

Bobby Knight won it with Ohio State as a player and Indiana as a coach.

westwall
06-12-2016, 11:53 PM
Bobby Knight won it with Ohio State as a player and Indiana as a coach.

True, but there are differences: Knight was a player in '60 only after the game became a blowout, but was head Coach in '76; Scheyer was a starter in '10, but was an assistant Coach in '15 -- and only Scheyer was both player and coach for the SAME school.

Furniture
06-13-2016, 05:57 AM
Well worth a listen. Not only for the inside look at things but Jon is also very well spoken and a perfect pod caster!

Billy Dat
06-13-2016, 10:51 AM
I think it was pretty good and it will get better. I think the key to being considered a good interviewer is asking the questions the listener wants to ask. When they were interviewing Jah, it felt like a puff piece. I honestly wanted to hear more about Jah's NBA experience, including his transgressions. But, it was a real insider job from that perspective, and I expected as much. Also, Nolan needs to let his personality out a little more. For someone who seems to be bubbly and outgoing he comes across way too understated and "Mr. Cool" in interview scenarios. By doing a podcast, you are now a media personality my man, give us some of that charisma!

weezie
06-13-2016, 03:11 PM
A little OT but did anyone catch the new Bill Simmons HBO promo ad declaring that the Trump U. basketball team would have been Duke and featured Trump's head morphing into the Blue Devil?

I hope Simmons gets hit by a meteor on the top of his tiny pinhead. He's such an unfunny moron.

Troublemaker
06-13-2016, 03:44 PM
I think it was pretty good and it will get better. I think the key to being considered a good interviewer is asking the questions the listener wants to ask. When they were interviewing Jah, it felt like a puff piece. I honestly wanted to hear more about Jah's NBA experience, including his transgressions. But, it was a real insider job from that perspective, and I expected as much. Also, Nolan needs to let his personality out a little more. For someone who seems to be bubbly and outgoing he comes across way too understated and "Mr. Cool" in interview scenarios. By doing a podcast, you are now a media personality my man, give us some of that charisma!

Right, we shouldn't expect differently. I'm sure if Jah ever does a podcast with Zach Lowe or The Ringer or maybe even JJ, he'll go into the NBA struggles. But I enjoyed the heck out of the trip down memory lane with Jah about various key games during '14-'15 season and the brief discussion Nolan/Jon had with Jah about whether the 2010 team would beat the 2015 team. This was good pod, fanboy as it was.

UrinalCake
06-13-2016, 03:59 PM

Tyus vs. Frank
Clear advantage goes to Tyus, he proved to be everything you could want in a point guard, but I do think Frank could make him work on the other side as well. We tend to forget that Tyus was a poor defender for most of the season, and someone with Frank's strength and athleticism could take advantage and put up some points.

Grayson vs. Tatum
Advantage Tatum. Grayson was awesome in the Championship game and also had that great game against Wake at home, but for most of the year he wasn't quite ready. We don't know for sure what Tatum will bring, but I expect him to be more ready to go from day 1.

Justise vs. Giles
Awesome matchup here. I'd give a slight advantage to Giles based on his size and athleticism, but Justise did a little bit of everything. Maybe if you factored in Giles's health then you'd call it a draw.

Okafor vs. Bolden
Advantage Oak, he was a transcendent talent and probably the best pure center as a freshman that we'll ever see. Bolden does come in with similar measurements (actually a tad longer wingspan and reach than Oak but not as heavy) and Oak was also not a great defender, so it's not like Bolden would be completely dominated.

Javin and White have to sit this one out.

So overall I think the advantage goes to 2014. The lack of a true point guard would hurt the 2016 team, even though they have an advantage in size and athleticism. It'd be fun to revisit this in a year when we see what the new kids are able to accomplish.

Troublemaker
06-23-2016, 11:11 AM
Bump.

Episode 3 is out today, and the guest is Amile! Haven't listened yet, but hope to hear good insights on how his rehab progressed and how he feels about the upcoming season's team.

UrinalCake
06-23-2016, 12:49 PM
Nice to have a current player on as a guest - the first two episodes with Jah and Seth were fun, but I'm looking forward to hearing more about the current team. Also, I hope the producers change their inexplicable decision to perform the interviews over FaceTime. It's a podcast, we can't see them, and the audio quality was kinda poor.

Has anyone else noticed how much Scheyer sounds like K in terms of his tone and choice of words?

DukieTiger
06-23-2016, 05:41 PM
Has anyone else noticed how much Scheyer sounds like K in terms of his tone and choice of words?

Hmm, I was thinking Collins, but I'm sure there is some common ground between the 3. =)

lmb
06-24-2016, 01:47 PM
Finally listened to episode 3 with Amile. He gave surprising insight into why his recovery took so long. He said the cast was too tight. Not having ever had a cast before, he didn't know it shouldn't feel that way. When they removed the cast he said he didn't have feeling in his foot.

Besides that, he seems like such a great guy. He talked a lot about how he learned things from sitting on the bench and watching. Hoping for beast mode to be unleashed this year! Go Amile!

Furniture
06-25-2016, 07:50 PM
Three podcasts absolutely riveting. Highly recommended for all Duke fans!

superdave
06-30-2016, 03:02 PM
Capel's all time starting five based on their Duke years -

Dawkins, Hurley, Hill, Battier, Laettner. 6th man is Redick.

Cool podcast because they talked about recruiting wars.

Furniture
07-21-2016, 11:31 PM
Another great podcast with Justice this week. Brilliant!
Justice is so funny. Loved his insight to Duke. He thoughts on K. The weekly/daily meeting with him. His roommate Grayson on how they didn't get on at the start and what good friends they are today. Plus the confession about how self centered he was at the start of his Duke journey to the change to being a team centered person. Then there is the funny banter back and fourth between him and Jon. So funny. Outstanding entertainment!

kAzE
07-22-2016, 10:43 AM
So on the most recent episode, Justise and Jon drafted their own all-Duke teams, (draft order in parentheses):

Team Jon:

Grant Hill (1), Christian Laettner(3), Shane Battier(5), Jahlil Okafor(7), Bobby Hurley(9)

Team Justise:

Justise Winslow(2), Kyrie Irving(4), Elton Brand(6), JJ Redick(8), Rodney Hood(10)

Who picked the better team?

Jon's team is huge, with 2 outstanding defenders in Shane and Grant. Justise has arguably the 2 best scorers to ever play for Duke: Kyrie and JJ, but the team is somewhat undersized with himself at the 4. Justise's team will probably try to go up and down the floor with their speed and shooting.

Picking between the 2 teams is actually harder than I thought it would be. I started leaning more towards Team Justise, but I think in the end, I have to go with Team Jon. I think Grant and Shane are just so good defensively on the perimeter, that it doesn't matter that the other team has JJ, Kyrie, and Rodney. The size and length will be enough to contain them, and Laettner and a Jah are just such efficient scorers. Elton is a beast, but he'd have a hard time containing those 2, especially with Hurley slinging the ball around. With basically two 7-footers and two 6'8" guys on the wings, Team Jon would dominate the boards, which I think would be the difference. I LOVE Justise, but at 6'6", he's not stopping Laettner.

But of course, JJ and Kyrie could always go HAM and score a million points.

cato
07-22-2016, 12:20 PM
So on the most recent episode, Justise and Jon drafted their own all-Duke teams, (draft order in parentheses):

Team Jon:

Grant Hill (1), Christian Laettner(3), Shane Battier(5), Jahlil Okafor(7), Bobby Hurley(9)

Team Justise:

Justise Winslow(2), Kyrie Irving(4), Elton Brand(6), JJ Redick(8), Rodney Hood(10)

Jon's team is huge, with 2 outstanding defenders in Shane and Grant. Justise has arguably the 2 best scorers to ever play for Duke: Kyrie and JJ, but the team is somewhat undersized with himself at the 4. Justise's team will probably try to go up and down the floor with their speed and shooting.

Picking between the 2 teams is actually harder than I thought it would be. I started leaning more towards Team Justise, but I think in the end, I have to go with Team Jon. I think Grant and Shane are just so good defensively on the perimeter, that it doesn't matter that the other team has JJ, Kyrie, and Rodney. The size and length will be enough to contain them, and Laettner and a Jah are just such efficient scorers. Elton is a beast, but he'd have a hard time containing those 2, especially with Hurley slinging the ball around. With basically two 7-footers and two 6'8" guys on the wings, Team Jon would dominate the boards, which I think would be the difference. I LOVE Justise, but at 6'6", he's not stopping Laettner.

But of course, JJ and Kyrie could always go HAM and score a million points.

Christian playing the 4?

I am not as optimistic as you that Team Jon can defend Team Justise. Kyrie is going to break down any D, even if it features 2 of the best 4 defenders to play for K. Particularly since Grant will probably spend most of his time chasing JJ around screens. With Battier helping, Hood will end up guarded by Hurley, who he can shoot over, or one of the bigs, who he can drive by.

But on the other end, how does Team Justise keep team Jon from scoring every possession? Big Jah is so strong, quick and fundamental, I don't think that Elton could contain him. And neither Hood nor Winslow are going to shut down Hill and Laettner.

So, Team Jon: 102-96.

kAzE
07-22-2016, 12:28 PM
Christian playing the 4?

I am not as optimistic as you that Team Jon can defend Team Justise. Kyrie is going to break down any D, even if it features 2 of the best 4 defenders to play for K. Particularly since Grant will probably spend most of his time chasing JJ around screens. With Battier helping, Hood will end up guarded by Hurley, who he can shoot over, or one of the bigs, who he can drive by.

But on the other end, how does Team Justise keep team Jon from scoring every possession? Big Jah is so strong, quick and fundamental, I don't think that Elton could contain him. And neither Hood nor Winslow are going to shut down Hill and Laettner.

So, Team Jon: 102-96.

Yeah absolutely, Christian at the 4. This is essentially 2 NBA teams. Laettner was ahead of his time, as he would have thrived in today's NBA as a stretch 4. Especially before/without the Achilles injury, I believe he would have been one of THE marquee names as the prototypical guy you would want next to a DeAndre/Drummond type of guy in the middle. He's a rich man's Ryan Anderson and a poor man's Dirk.

MartyClark
07-22-2016, 02:44 PM
I enjoyed this podcast. I don't think I had previously heard a Justice interview. I was surprised that he was so funny and sarcastic.
Keep up the good work, Mr. Scheyer.

Billy Dat
07-25-2016, 02:26 PM
Justice is so funny. Loved his insight to Duke. He thoughts on K..... the confession about how self centered he was at the start of his Duke journey to the change to being a team centered person

This was extremely interesting and just shows that unless you have a real inside contact with the program, you have no idea what is happening. Justise, by his own admission, didn't care about anyone other than himself when he got to Duke, and even before. On his official visit, Jah and Tyus were thick as thieves so Justise kept heading off with people he knew from Texas, leaving Scheyer and Capel in a panic about whether or not he was really interested. Forced to live with Grayson, he basically ignored him because he just didn't care about him. For a guy who projects so much, I don't know, "goodness", it is a reminder that these kids can be complete egomaniacs (as every one of my pre-teen children are - perhaps real adulthood is finally understanding that you are not the only person in the universe) but K laid the smack down and told him to knock it off. Really interesting...and, as the others have said, funny too. The kid has wry charm.

phaedrus
07-25-2016, 02:51 PM

Team Jon:

Team Justise:

Telling that with three big men on the roster already and in need of guard play, Scheyer picks Okafor over Redick, Hurley, Williams, and Smith [and Scheyer].

Troublemaker
07-27-2016, 06:40 PM
Summer Workouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG42pBjLNgI

NSDukeFan
07-27-2016, 07:08 PM
Summer Workouts

I'm not a fan of the sports bro. Cool video, though.

Billy Dat
07-27-2016, 08:34 PM
I'm not a fan of the sports bro. Cool video, though.

What is that, some kind of weighted vest? What does it do, build up the shooting muscles? Harry and Jayson look ridiculous, but if they help...

cato
07-27-2016, 08:50 PM
What is that, some kind of weighted vest? What does it do, build up the shooting muscles? Harry and Jayson look ridiculous, but if they help...

They look better than I would in it. So they got that going for them.

The_Dukester
07-28-2016, 09:00 AM
From what I've read, the sports bra looking things are heart rate monitors.

Billy Dat
07-28-2016, 10:17 AM
The Bilas episode was pretty standard, not a lot of new material/stories, but Bilas is always good.

JasonEvans
07-28-2016, 10:21 AM
Summer Workouts

Wow, the guys are hot! I can't even count how many shots in a row they hit in that video. I didn't see them miss once. Pretty impressive.

-Jason " ;) ;) " Evans

kAzE
07-28-2016, 11:12 AM
From what I've read, the sports bra looking things are heart rate monitors.

We need to get some better looking heart rate monitors . . .

Troublemaker
08-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Justice is so funny. Loved his insight to Duke. He thoughts on K. The weekly/daily meeting with him. His roommate Grayson on how they didn't get on at the start and what good friends they are today. Plus the confession about how self centered he was at the start of his Duke journey to the change to being a team centered person. Then there is the funny banter back and fourth between him and Jon. So funny. Outstanding entertainment!

I enjoyed this podcast. I don't think I had previously heard a Justice interview. I was surprised that he was so funny and sarcastic.
Keep up the good work, Mr. Scheyer.

This was extremely interesting and just shows that unless you have a real inside contact with the program, you have no idea what is happening. Justise, by his own admission, didn't care about anyone other than himself when he got to Duke, and even before. On his official visit, Jah and Tyus were thick as thieves so Justise kept heading off with people he knew from Texas, leaving Scheyer and Capel in a panic about whether or not he was really interested. Forced to live with Grayson, he basically ignored him because he just didn't care about him. For a guy who projects so much, I don't know, "goodness", it is a reminder that these kids can be complete egomaniacs (as every one of my pre-teen children are - perhaps real adulthood is finally understanding that you are not the only person in the universe) but K laid the smack down and told him to knock it off. Really interesting...and, as the others have said, funny too. The kid has wry charm.

I got behind on these podcasts and just listened to the Justise one this morning. Agreed on the praise above. He has a very offbeat, humorous personality. I literally did a spit-take when Coach Scheyer and he were arguing about the 2010 vs 2015 championship teams and Justise went straight to the "We have more heart than you guys" argument.

NSDukeFan
08-01-2016, 09:05 PM
I'm taking Scheyer's all-time team over Justise's, unless we are talking present players instead of at Duke. I think Hurley does fine guarding Kyrie. He guarded the left-hand version in conference while at Duke.
I also enjoyed the podcast with Jay Bilas and really liked his defense of Alarie as an underrated guy who could be in the rafters.

Troublemaker
08-02-2016, 04:56 PM
Some highlights of Adidas Nations (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSX-NTS7OQM) (including a decent amount of Chase and Frank highlights). Dennis Smith looks like he's healthy; I'm going to be very interested in following his season at NCSU. I think he's going to kill it.

Dev11
08-04-2016, 12:32 PM
I will sheepishly admit that I've listened to most of the episodes so far and find them enjoyable.

To all the former Duke guards out there who suddenly feel the need to start new podcasts, please stop, we are fully saturated.

Billy Dat
08-11-2016, 04:16 PM
The new episode is up and it features Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum.

Harry is the more talkative of the two, and I think his newly burgeoning catch-phrase is, "I like that!"

Most of the chatter is pretty lite, but they talk a bit about the guys on the team including "Pops" Jefferson, "Uncle" Matt Jones, etc. Sounds like Javin has a little of that Grayson intensity. It also sounds like Bolden is a character they can't quite describe...which sounds intriguing.

Billy Dat
08-12-2019, 11:51 AM
While Jon has only released one episode of the podcast this offseason, he did just star in this Blue Planet style "Day in the Life" which features a recent day of workouts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbuQvklygto

Troublemaker
08-28-2019, 09:39 AM
Coach Scheyer was on the Solving Basketball podcast (https://solvingbasketball.libsyn.com/) released this morning. About 40 minutes of X-and-Os talk between him and Jordan Sperber. I only got to listen to the first 25 minutes or so, and it was stuff about the 2010 team, the 2019 team, and the general program. Nothing about this upcoming season's team yet. I would say for very close followers of the team from an X-and-Os standpoint, you probably won't hear anything too new or surprising. For more casual fans, this podcast might be gold.