PDA

View Full Version : JJ working on his retirement gig....

moonpie23
05-19-2016, 09:56 PM
man, he looks and sounds great on the set of the NBA telecast tonight.....

mrs pie was walking through the room , stopped and said, "is that JJ?".....then sat down to watch...

subzero02
05-19-2016, 09:59 PM
He looked very comfortable up there... I think he'll do fine long term. I don't think he'll be able to restrain his Duke bias on air but we'll see.

-jk
05-19-2016, 10:14 PM
He looked very comfortable up there... I think he'll do fine long term. I don't think he'll be able to restrain his Duke bias on air but we'll see.

Don't Jay Bilas and John Feinstein teach a workshop on overcoming Duke bias?

-jk

Reisen
05-19-2016, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I watch very little NBA basketball, but tuned in to see him up there at halftime. He was excellent, already one of the better talking heads I've seen, and he's had little practice.

SilkyJ
05-20-2016, 12:17 AM
I recently started a job that requires a a 70 mile roundtrip commute and to pass the time I have gotten into podcasts. I only listen to handful, but JJ's is one of them. It is definitely NBA-centric, but he's also had Chris Collins, Aaron Rodgers and a few non-NBA types. Duke almost always gets weaved into a few stories throughout (the one with Chris Collins was very heavy on Duke).

If you are a podcaster, JJ's is definitely worth a try.

huey
05-20-2016, 12:41 AM
I recently started a job that requires a a 70 mile roundtrip commute and to pass the time I have gotten into podcasts. I only listen to handful, but JJ's is one of them. It is definitely NBA-centric, but he's also had Chris Collins, Aaron Rodgers and a few non-NBA types. Duke almost always gets weaved into a few stories throughout (the one with Chris Collins was very heavy on Duke).

Seconded. Great podcast. He took a few to get 'it' but now he's one of the best out there, with a really unique viewpoint. I think he'll bring that to his TV commenting too. He'll just take a show or two to get used to being on the camera (he was fiddling with his chair a lot), and then he'll look like a seasoned pro. Already had more insightful commentary than most of the talking heads out there, almost what he'd expect to be hearing from a coach. He should thank Sage for some of those assists tonight though, she was helping him out.

gep
05-20-2016, 12:52 AM

I agree about JJ's podcasts. I listened to a few. In one of them, he said he's "looking" into a post-playing career in sports broadcasting. To me, his podcasts were already pretty good. And I really liked his one with Chris Collins. I see that he has one with Adam Morrison, but haven't had the chance to listen to it yet. And, it doesn't bother me one bit that he sounds like a Duke homer. After all, that's what he is... it's in his DNA. And he always said that he wears his emotions on his sleeve (arm?, I forget).

Reilly
05-20-2016, 09:07 AM
... mrs pie was walking through the room , stopped and said, "is that JJ?"....then sat down to watch...

Sounds like the Lil Sweet Dr. Pepper commercial ...