PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Duke Marques Bolden!!!

JasonEvans
05-19-2016, 02:44 PM
Bolden picks Duke!!!

flyingdutchdevil
05-19-2016, 02:45 PM
CONGRATS BOLDEN!!!!! Really excited to have you on board next year!

So, who does UK hate more? Christian Laettner or Marcus Lee? ;)

Edouble
05-19-2016, 02:46 PM
Man, he looks good in that Duke shirt! The Texas ---> Duke pipeline continues!!! Go Devils!!!

DinoDuke
05-19-2016, 02:46 PM
W00t! Welcome aboard Marques!

Henderson
05-19-2016, 02:48 PM
Marques, we love you already. Welcome aboard.

devildeac
05-19-2016, 02:49 PM
Never a doubt :rolleyes: !

Welcome!

SenatorClayDavis
Welcome to Duke, partner!

Edouble
It's official!

Doria
05-19-2016, 02:50 PM
Welcome, Marques!

I'm sure you will have a great time at Duke, on and off the court!

DUKIE V(A)
05-19-2016, 02:52 PM
Bolden picks Duke!!!

Three words:

SET FOR LIFE!

:o

fraggler
05-19-2016, 02:53 PM
Welcome, Marques! That makes, what, 8 guys on the roster 6'8" and over?

BeachBlueDevil
05-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Glad to have Bolden on board this very stacked Duke team..... I think the best part is Cal is somewhere in Lexington with hurt feelings.

Troublemaker
05-19-2016, 02:55 PM
Here's a replay of the announcement (https://www.facebook.com/sportsstarsoftomorrow/videos/vb.128552893848302/1012870722083177/?type=2&theater). 6-minute mark. Mom was happy and surprised apparently.

Billy Dat
05-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Was the "University of Duke" phrasing a troll of UK or a mistake? Either way, come on down Marques!

I hope K is already wearing that rotation so that it is properly stretched out by November.

Henderson
05-19-2016, 03:00 PM
Three words:

SET FOR LIFE!

:o

"How preposterous does that sound?"

Well, maybe it depends on who says it.

DukeTrinity11
UK fans are making up rumors all over the internet that Bolden's mom literally forced Marques to choose Duke even though he and his dad wanted UK...man this Big Blue Nation really wanted this guy huh??? What a bunch of sore losers.

I've genuinely never seen a recruit's parent so happy when their kid announces that he's going to Duke, she was ecstatic. Proud mama!!! :)

NSDukeFan
Well this is awesome news! Great to have Bolden on board. I would love to see him help the team add banner(s).

Troublemaker
Was the "University of Duke" phrasing a troll of UK or a mistake? Either way, come on down Marques!

I hope K is already wearing that rotation so that it is properly stretched out by November.

My theory is that he had UK shorts on underneath the jeans and finally decided on Duke after speaking the word "of".

devildeac
05-19-2016, 03:02 PM
Somewhere in Orange County, NC, ol roy just scheduled his hernia surgery.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-19-2016, 03:02 PM
Never a doubt :rolleyes: !

Welcome!

Great minds think alike. Exactly what I was going to say!

Welcome to Duke, Mr. Bolden! :cool: GTHc! 9F!

devildeac
05-19-2016, 03:03 PM
Great minds think alike. Exactly what I was going to say!

Welcome to Duke, Mr. Bolden! :cool: GTHc! 9F!

Wait, I thought you stopped caring about this a couple weeks ago :p ;) .

jacone21
05-19-2016, 03:06 PM

Extra propofol please!

LittleCat
05-19-2016, 03:07 PM
CONGRATS BOLDEN!!!!! Really excited to have you on board next year!

So, who does UK hate more? Christian Laettner or Marcus Lee? ;)

Laettner will never be topped :mad:

Congrats on the get Dukies.

Furniture
05-19-2016, 03:07 PM
UK fans are making up rumors all over the internet that Bolden's mom literally forced Marques to choose Duke even though he and his dad wanted UK...man this Big Blue Nation really wanted this guy huh??? What a bunch of sore losers.

I've genuinely never seen a recruit's parent so happy when their kid announces that he's going to Duke, she was ecstatic. Proud mama!!! :)
Mom is always more important!

hudlow
05-19-2016, 03:14 PM

Make it a double...

Olympic Fan
05-19-2016, 03:15 PM
After all the rumors, I wonder if he actually decided in the last few seconds?

I know Ralph Sampson did -- he sat down at the table to make his announcement with five hats from the five finalists lined up in front of him.

He later said that as he sat down, he didn't know which one he was going to pick. He said the voice of Virginia was only made in the final seconds.

I don't know if the Kentucky fan base has suffered such a gut-punch since Terrence Jones held a live press conference in 2010 and picked Washington over Kentucky.

Calipari then flew to Oregon, met with Jones and convinced him to renege on his commitment and sign with Kentucky.

That worked out well for the Cats as Jones stayed two years and as a soph was a key player on the 2012 national champs -- Cal's only title.

I wonder if he is on a plane to Houston as we speak?

Law Prof
05-19-2016, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=DukeTrinity11;888409]UK fans are making up rumors all over the internet that Bolden's mom literally forced Marques to choose Duke even though he and his dad wanted UK...man this Big Blue Nation really wanted this guy huh??? What a bunch of sore losers.

I've genuinely never seen a recruit's parent so happy when their kid announces that he's going to Duke, she was ecstatic. Proud mama!!! :)[/QUOTE
Mom is always more important!

He knows the old saying: "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

LittleCat
05-19-2016, 03:19 PM

It had been an ongoing rumor momma Bolden wanted Duke and Marques wanted to at least explore the UK option. Combine that rumor with the awkward "i didn't know" over and over...you can see how it looks from the other side.

Of course we wanted Bolden. UK is used to getting five star centers every year. Once UK fans realize we don't need this kid life/death or anything. He would help, but we have a lot of players already at the 4 and 5. I hope we can wish Bolden the best and just focus on our players.

Kedsy
05-19-2016, 03:20 PM
Of course we wanted Bolden. UK is used to getting five star centers every year. Once UK fans realize we don't need this kid life/death or anything. He would help, but we have a lot of players already at the 4 and 5. I hope we can wish Bolden the best and just focus on our players.

Wise words. UK is still loaded, but fans will be fans.

Devilwin
05-19-2016, 03:20 PM
My God. Is this the best Duke class ever???

Karl Beem
05-19-2016, 03:21 PM
At least he didn't say Duke State U. BBB = Big Blue Butthurt.

devildeac
05-19-2016, 03:22 PM

I know Ralph Sampson did -- he sat down at the table to make his announcement with five hats from the five finalists lined up in front of him.

He later said that as he sat down, he didn't know which one he was going to pick. He said the voice of Virginia was only made in the final seconds.

I don't know if the Kentucky fan base has suffered such a gut-punch since Terrence Jones held a live press conference in 2010 and picked Washington over Kentucky.

Calipari then flew to Oregon, met with Jones and convinced him to renege on his commitment and sign with Kentucky.

That worked out well for the Cats as Jones stayed two years and as a soph was a key player on the 2012 national champs -- Cal's only title.

If he is, I wonder if K has John Chaney's phone number :rolleyes: .

LittleCat
05-19-2016, 03:23 PM

At the time, plenty of UK fans were sad to see Mudiay shock the world and choose SMU. That hurt a lot at the time. The entire year of 2015 was a gut punch too. Luke Kennard backstabbed us too. We missed on sooooo many five stars. And on a side note, at the time I was very sad we missed on Amile. He was going to be a solid player for years to come, and UK could have used him bad. I know others didn't mind as much as me.

Duke and UK didn't need Bolden...but he helps of course. Every time we lose a recruit it hurts...especially to Duke.

J_C_Steel
My goodness. This will be the deepest Duke team in recent memory. At least two-deep at every position.

PG: Frank Jackson (Fr.)/Grayson Allen (Jr.)
SG: Grayson Allen (Jr.)/Luke Kennard (So.)
SF: Jayson Tatum (Fr.)/Matt Jones (Sr.)/Jack White (Fr.)/ Justin Robinson (So.)
PF: Harry Giles (Fr.)/Amile Jefferson (RS Sr.)/ Javin DeLaurier (Fr.)/ Antonio Vrankovic (So.)
C: Amile Jefferson (RS Sr.)/Marques Bolden (Fr.)/Chase Jeter (So.)/ Sean Obi (Jr.)

That's 14 guys. Somebody's gotta go, right? The top 9 players will likely be Jackson, Allen, Tatum, Giles, Jefferson, Jones, Kennard, Bolden, and Jeter.

HK Dukie
I already love Bolden's mamma! So happy to have them all as part of the Duke family!

Wahoo2000
05-19-2016, 03:24 PM
Nice pickup for Duke - you guys are going to be stacked like 1991 UNLV.....

Prospects for Jeter contributing just dimmed even more (if that was possible). I really thought that kid would end up as more than a Zoubek.

BD80
05-19-2016, 03:24 PM
My God. Is this the best Duke class ever???

Is this the best recruiting class ever? At any school?

DavidBenAkiva
05-19-2016, 03:25 PM
This is a great day to be a Duke fan! Welcome to Bull City, Marques.

With so many other guys coming in and players returning, the pressure isn't going to fall directly on his shoulders. He can provide meaningful minutes without having to produce. And with the team expected to lose Amile Jefferson and Harry Giles, Bolden and Jeter can be a very solid returning frontcourt.

I do think this means the likelihood of Duke landing both Wendell Carter and Mohammad Bamba is remote if not zero now, but that's fine. I'm excited for the future for Bolden however long he decides to stick around Durham. Get some rebounds and block some shots, big fella!

InSpades
05-19-2016, 03:25 PM
Welcome to Duke young man!

Kind of ironic that the Kentucky fans are calling him an idiot for not following in the footsteps of Cousins/Davis/Towns while at the same time debating what Marcus Lee should do now that he's spent 3 years at Kentucky and no one seems to want him any more.

Also Daniel Orton says hi from somewhere in Europe.

If you take credit for the good, you also have to take credit for the bad. Those 3 guys are great, but they would have been great anywhere.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-19-2016, 03:26 PM
My goodness. This will be the deepest Duke team in recent memory. At least two-deep at every position.

PF: Harry Giles (Fr.)/Amile Jefferson (RS Sr.)/ Javin DeLaurier (Fr.)/ Antonio Vrankovic (So.)
C: Amile Jefferson (RS Sr.)/Marques Bolden (Fr.)/Chase Jeter (So.)/ Sean Obi (Jr.)

That's 14 guys. Somebody's gotta go, right? The top 9 players will likely be Jackson, Allen, Tatum, Giles, Jefferson, Jones, Kennard, Bolden, and Jeter.

Justin Robinson is a recruited walk on. The numbers work perfectly! :cool: LGD! GTHc!

rsvman
05-19-2016, 03:28 PM
Welcome to Duke, Marques! You made a wise choice.

arnie
05-19-2016, 03:30 PM
Is this the best recruiting class ever? At any school?

Probably tied with the class below:

3 Brian Morrison G FR 6-2 178 Redmond, WA Lake Washington
31 Adam Boone G FR 6-2 192 Minneapolis, MN Minnetonka

Karl Beem
05-19-2016, 03:32 PM

Robinson, Pags, Besser will not have schollies.

BandAlum83
05-19-2016, 03:33 PM
1. The joy in his Mother's reaction brought tears to my eyes. Maybe I'm getting old and sentimental, but as someone with grown kids, I can totally relate to the moment. I love how Marques wanted to give his Mom a huge surprise and a special moment by not telling her in advance. That's an obviously special relationship. It make me just know in my heart that he's a really good kid.

2. Don't know if I'm reading into too much, but I don't think Marques thinks of himself as a OAD. During the Q&A he said something like "it was a decision to put my life in the hands of these coaches for the NEXT COUPLE OF YEARS".

3. How is his name pronounced? I think on the streamed (not great) audio I heard it pronounced 3 different ways:

Markweese
Markweeze
Markeese

Anyone know for sure?

[/U]

DavidBenAkiva
05-19-2016, 03:34 PM
Nice pickup for Duke - you guys are going to be stacked like 1991 UNLV....

Prospects for Jeter contributing just dimmed even more (if that was possible). I really thought that kid would end up as more than a Zoubek.

I think we are jumping the gun on Jeter. Coach K realistically has 13 players, 9 of which will likely be rotation guys (in bold) at the beginning of the year:

Guards: Jones, Allen, Kennard, and Jackson
Forwards: Jefferson, Robinson, Tatum, Giles, and White
Centers: Obi, Jeter, Vrankovic, and Bolden

K is notorious for mixing up his teams based on the players he has available. Well, we have four bigs that can all get up and down the court. If I am him, I'm pressing and subbing to keep guys fresh. Jefferson and Giles looks like they are going to be devastating in the press and Tatum and the guards all have the speed and size to suffocate, forcing steals and an up-tempo style of play. Get Jeter and Bolden in the there to keep those two guys rested!

kAzE
05-19-2016, 03:34 PM
1. The joy in his Mother's reaction brought tears to my eyes. Maybe I'm getting old and sentimental, but as someone with grown kids, I can totally relate to the moment. I love how Marques wanted to give his Mom a huge surprise and a special moment by not telling her in advance. That's an obviously special relationship. It make me just know in my heart that he's a really good kid.

2. Don't know if I'm reading into too much, but I don't think Marques thinks of himself as a OAD. During the Q&A he said something like "it was a decision to put my life in the hands of these coaches for the NEXT COUPLE OF YEARS".

3. How is his name pronounced? I think on the streamed (not great) audio I heard it pronounced 3 different ways:

Markweese
Markweeze
Markeese

Anyone know for sure?

[/U]

I've seen videos of him introducing himself, and he pronounces it mar-QWEESE

DukeFanSince1990
05-19-2016, 03:35 PM

Markweese
Markweeze
Markeese

Anyone know for sure?

[/U]

Markwinner

OZ
05-19-2016, 03:37 PM

... fell out of my chair laughing. Geeeez. Loved it; thanks!

gam7
05-19-2016, 03:40 PM
"I'm putting my life in the hands of these coaches for the next couple of years." I like the thought of two years, but this rhetoric reminds of a bit of Tony Parker who constantly talked about what programs could do for him. This is a bit dangerous, as it implies a lack of personal accountability for the hard work that individual has to undertake to get to where he wants to go. It is not automatic - you have the really work for it.

We are now a legit 10-deep. Coach K has made a point several times over the last two years about not being able to have full-contact practices due to our lack of depth and the possibility of injury. The depth won't be a problem next year. And we may need it. Between Jefferson (hip, foot) and Giles (ACL/MCL/meniscus, ACL), it is nice to have a bit more frontcourt depth.

Frontcourt: Jefferson, Giles, Bolden, Jeter, Javin
Wings: Tatum, Jones
Backcourt: Allen, Kennard, Jackson.

Will be interesting to see whether/how this impacts 2017 bigs. It is possible that it has very little impact on 2017 at all. We are looking at Bolden, Jeter, Javin at the most with the possibility of Bolden or Jeter not being around for 2017-18. In the event that we lose 2 of next year's 5 frontcourt guys, there clearly is room for Carter or Bamba (Carter seems more likely). If we lose 3 of next year's 5, there may be room for Carter and Bamba, though I frankly think getting both is a pipe dream.

J_C_Steel
05-19-2016, 03:42 PM
I think we are jumping the gun on Jeter. Coach K realistically has 13 players, 9 of which will likely be rotation guys (in bold) at the beginning of the year:

K is notorious for mixing up his teams based on the players he has available. Well, we have four bigs that can all get up and down the court. If I am him, I'm pressing and subbing to keep guys fresh. Jefferson and Giles looks like they are going to be devastating in the press and Tatum and the guards all have the speed and size to suffocate, forcing steals and an up-tempo style of play. Get Jeter and Bolden in the there to keep those two guys rested!

I worry a bit about the guards. We need Jackson to be able run point for 30 minutes per game as a freshman and we need Allen to improve his ball-handling and passing to the point that he can play point for about 10 minutes per game. I hope that works out.

As for the frontcourt, well, this team is utterly stacked. The 2016-17 Blue Devils should not be out-rebounded by anyone.

duke79
05-19-2016, 03:43 PM

Markweese
Markweeze
Markeese

Anyone know for sure?

[/U]

Yea, you gotta love his mother ! I had tears in my eyes too, as she was jumping up and down and hugging him. Just a purely happy emotional moment for her. Nothing artificial about it. (and there's nothing like making your mother happy too). I hope she can attend some games in Cameron.

Is he projected as a OAD?

WVDUKEFAN
05-19-2016, 03:44 PM
LOADED!!!

I've been following Duke for almost 35 years and I honestly can't recall a deeper team.

OZ
05-19-2016, 03:45 PM

Markweese
Markweeze
Markeese

Anyone know for sure?

[/U]

I have watched a number of these - most chose Duke, a few chose other schools - but I have never seen a happier parent. I don't think his mother would have had a problem whatever his decision, but I don't think there was any doubt that she definitely approved of his choice!

Henderson
05-19-2016, 03:55 PM

When I look at the roster, I see a lot of flexibility if K wants to use it. A lot of multi-position guys. A lot of opportunities to go big or go small. I'd hate to have to game plan against this team. How do you plan your defense?

I'll be particularly interested in how Jeter develops, what role he plays, and how comfortable he is in that role. If he's not a high minute stud this year, I hope he sees that he could be a high minute leader stud next year.

jipops
05-19-2016, 04:00 PM
How does this happen!!??

Doesn't he know that Duke doesn't develop big men? All they do is set screens for 3pt shooters!

:p

Billy Dat
05-19-2016, 04:03 PM
How does this happen!!??

Doesn't he know that Duke doesn't develop big men? All they do is set screens for 3pt shooters!

:p

Why dust off such tired tropes, the new story is that K doesn't know what he's doing with PGs which is why we keep having to use 2s at the 1.

Henderson
05-19-2016, 04:05 PM
He knows the old saying: "If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

So do other young men. His mother's reaction is a recruiting clip for the Duke staff. What guy wouldn't want to inspire that kind of reaction from his mother?

johnb
05-19-2016, 04:06 PM
This is awesome.

Marques has moved from a back-up as a sophomore to 3rd team All Dallas as a junior to one of the top dozen players in the country as a senior.

As I think about it, his delay could partly stem from his having to adjust to his new found status. Harry and Jayson have been elite recruits for years... no wonder they'd have an easier time of it.

He's the final piece of an awesome puzzle. It's gonna be a fun season!

cspan37421
05-19-2016, 04:06 PM
Well one thing is for sure - Coach K will finally have that 12-deep rotation he's always wanted.

:rolleyes:

Henderson
05-19-2016, 04:10 PM
Well one thing is for sure - Coach K will finally have that 12-deep rotation he's always wanted.

Platoons!!

[Practice is going to be intense].

Billy Dat
05-19-2016, 04:14 PM

You mean the one he's had since 2006...with Team USA?

I join your eyeroll and suggest that K start using this squad like he uses that one.

Easier said then done, but this will be a huge test for K. He's clawed back to the top of the recruiting mountain and now he's got to show he can manage the minutes and the egos. Amile, Matt and Grayson are going to have to be very strong leaders and Chase is going to have to be tough and resilient. He's going to be battling pros every day and hopefully will take the long view. If MP3 is going to get some pro sniffs, Chase just needs to put in the work and run his own race and he'll be ready to shine eventually.

BandAlum83
05-19-2016, 04:16 PM
Why dust off such tired tropes, the new story is that K doesn't know what he's doing with PGs which is why we keep having to use 2s at the 1.

Well, you know, K was a PG in the 60's and with his inability to adapt and change, he just can't offer PGS in today's game anything of note.

I mean if today's kids want to learn the finer points of the set shot K is THE MAN. Let's face facts. K is just too old and the game has passed him by. It a shame he has that lifetime (as long as he wants it) option on his job.

dyedwab
05-19-2016, 04:16 PM
Platoons!!

[Practice is going to be intense].

I expect many, many quotes from K and his assistants about how, for the first time in a couple of years, we've been able to have full intensity practices, and how important that will be to the team's development.

BandAlum83
05-19-2016, 04:18 PM
This is awesome.

Marques has moved from a back-up as a sophomore to 3rd team All Dallas as a junior to one of the top dozen players in the country as a senior.

As I think about it, his delay could partly stem from his having to adjust to his new found status. Harry and Jayson have been elite recruits for years... no wonder they'd have an easier time of it.

He's the final piece of an awesome puzzle. It's gonna be a fun season!

His "delay", as you put it, could also stem from his having to make adjustments to his rapidly growing body. I imagine he was still growing a lot during that period.

Henderson
05-19-2016, 04:21 PM
His "delay", as you put it, could also stem from his having to make adjustments to his rapidly growing body. I imagine he was still growing a lot during that period.

There was a question after his announcement about his delay and another about minutes, and I couldn't make out his responses. Anyone with better audio have that?

flyingdutchdevil
05-19-2016, 04:21 PM
You mean the one he's had since 2006...with Team USA?

I join your eyeroll and suggest that K start using this squad like he uses that one.

Easier said then done, but this will be a huge test for K. He's clawed back to the top of the recruiting mountain and now he's got to show he can manage the minutes and the egos. Amile, Matt and Grayson are going to have to be very strong leaders and Chase is going to have to be tough and resilient. He's going to be battling pros every day and hopefully will take the long view. If MP3 is going to get some pro sniffs, Chase just needs to put in the work and run his own race and he'll be ready to shine eventually.

Yeah...Jeter's minutes just got murdered. And I usually don't have "shiny-new-recruit-itis", but in this case I really feel that Marques will get plenty of minutes due to his back-to-the-basket game, rebounding, and shot blocking ability. There is noooooo way Coach K plays 5 in the front court, and it's a given that Giles, Amile, and Tatum are all gonna play some combination of 4 and 5 (Tatum not exclusively, of course). Between Marques and Jeter? I have to give the edge to Marques.

OldPhiKap
05-19-2016, 04:27 PM
Welcome sir. Your team is gonna be sick.

flyingdutchdevil
05-19-2016, 04:28 PM
Welcome sir. Your team is gonna be sick.

I'd rather they be sick than have foot injuries :(

rsvman
05-19-2016, 04:32 PM
I'd rather they be sick than have foot injuries :(

Preach on, brother!

duke74
05-19-2016, 04:33 PM
So do other young men. His mother's reaction is a recruiting clip for the Duke staff. What guy wouldn't want to inspire that kind of reaction from his mother?

Would I be considered inappropriate to suggest that Ms. Bolden be introduced to DT's "handler/uncle/whatever" as a counterpoint?

MChambers
05-19-2016, 04:37 PM
LOADED!!!

I've been following Duke for almost 35 years and I honestly can't recall a deeper team.

Duke is always this deep in the summer. Once the games begin, however . . .

Skitzle
05-19-2016, 04:38 PM
Well, you know, K was a PG in the 60's and with his inability to adapt and change, he just can't offer PGS in today's game anything of note.

I mean if today's kids want to learn the finer points of the set shot K is THE MAN. Let's face facts. K is just too old and the game has passed him by. It a shame he has that lifetime (as long as he wants it) option on his job.

When Brand Retires, Duke needs to bring him in to coach our PGs or something right?

OldPhiKap
05-19-2016, 04:39 PM
Have not checked, but I assume that our friends in Lexington are taking this news with dignity and grace.

Nugget
05-19-2016, 04:40 PM
Yeah...Jeter's minutes just got murdered. And I usually don't have "shiny-new-recruit-itis", but in this case I really feel that Marques will get plenty of minutes due to his back-to-the-basket game, rebounding, and shot blocking ability. There is noooooo way Coach K plays 5 in the front court, and it's a given that Giles, Amile, and Tatum are all gonna play some combination of 4 and 5 (Tatum not exclusively, of course). Between Marques and Jeter? I have to give the edge to Marques.

Possible, but not certain. It's been so many years since Coach K has had this kind of front court depth available that there is no way to know.

And it's not entirely unprecedented for 5 front court players to get meaningful minutes.

Coach K did so in 1988-89 with Danny Ferry (33), Robert Brickey (25), John Smith (20), Laettner (17) and Alaa (16).

And pretty close to it in 1989-90 with Laettner (30), Brickey (27), Alaa (25), Koubek (15) and Crawford Palmer/Clay Buckley between them averaging 7.

This will no doubt be a real challenge for Chase - hopefully he rises to it.

Henderson
05-19-2016, 04:42 PM
Have not checked, but I assume that our friends in Lexington are taking this news with dignity and grace.

It takes them longer to read stuff, so you might be premature in your assumption. But once they follow along with their fingers and get the gist, I'm sure you will be correct.

Skitzle
05-19-2016, 04:44 PM
Possible, but not certain. It's been so many years since Coach K has had this kind of front court depth available that there is no way to know.

And it's not entirely unprecedented for 5 front court players to get meaningful minutes.

Coach K did so in 1988-89 with Danny Ferry (33), Robert Brickey (25), John Smith (20), Laettner (17) and Alaa (16).

And pretty close to it in 1989-90 with Laettner (30), Brickey (27), Alaa (25), Koubek (15) and Crawford Palmer/Clay Buckley between them averaging 7.

Bolden > Jeter

Seems like most people are in agreement with this statement.

Can someone tell me why this is the consensus? We've never seen Bolden play against college kids.

LittleCat
05-19-2016, 04:44 PM
Welcome to Duke young man!

Kind of ironic that the Kentucky fans are calling him an idiot for not following in the footsteps of Cousins/Davis/Towns while at the same time debating what Marcus Lee should do now that he's spent 3 years at Kentucky and no one seems to want him any more.

Also Daniel Orton says hi from somewhere in Europe.

If you take credit for the good, you also have to take credit for the bad. Those 3 guys are great, but they would have been great anywhere.

Bolden was 1a, Lee was 1b. Lee already has a degree iirc and can't really do anything else to improve draft stock. UK fans will be wanting him back more than ever now that Bolden left.

Daniel Orton was a headcase. Persuaded by bad influences to leave when Cal asked hīm to stay, Same with Dakari. Stupid gonna stupid.

Some stars will be stars anywhere, yes. But some will be Malik Newmans (tbd I guess), Robert Hubbs, Chris Walker, etc and underachieve. I think the argument is invalid in Boldens case, since he chose an elite school, but there is an argument to be made Cal sends more elite players to the draft than anyone, and it's a safer option that most if that is the goal of a player.

gumbomoop
05-19-2016, 04:46 PM
I worry a bit about the guards. We need Jackson to be able run point for 30 minutes per game as a freshman and we need Allen to improve his ball-handling and passing to the point that he can play point for about 10 minutes per game.

I, and I'm confident others, will be saying between now and November the following: although not a "classic" PG, Kennard has PG-type skills, including excellent handle, court sense, vision, smart passing.

Thornton's leaving does present a potential PG problem, one that right now I'll doubt Krzyzewski handles by having Matt Jones bring the ball into the frontcourt. I wouldn't be surprised to see all of Grayson, Luke, and Frank doing some PG duties during the OOC schedule.

flyingdutchdevil
05-19-2016, 04:47 PM

Actually, Coach K had 5-6 frontcourt players for the 2009-10 campaign: Zoubs, LT, MP1, MP2, Kelly, and Singler. Given the complete lack of backcourt depth, Singler played nearly exclusively at the 3. Kelly wasn't ready to contribute at all. The other 4 split minutes between the 4 and the 5. This year? We have some backcourt depth (5 ready-to-play players, actually) AND frontcourt depth. Someone is getting squeezed. The question is who?

Saratoga2
05-19-2016, 04:49 PM
LOADED!!!

I have also followed Duke for many years and agree, this will be a very deep team. In addition, it will rely to a large degree on a number of very talented freshmen in Jackson, Giles, Tatum and now Bolden. While other programs would love to have such talent on their teams it will take a lot of effort to get these kids to play well together. The coaches have to see this as an abundance of riches and with Jeter, Allen, Kennard, Jones and Jefferson the team will also have experience and leadership. I would guess we will have 6 eventual NBA players on the roster this year. Looking forward to the season.

cato
05-19-2016, 04:50 PM

Smart young man. It took me until I had kids of my own to understand: if mama's not happy, . . .

Skitzle
05-19-2016, 04:51 PM
Actually, Coach K had 5-6 frontcourt players for the 2009-10 campaign: Zoubs, LT, MP1, MP2, Kelly, and Singler. Given the complete lack of backcourt depth, Singler played nearly exclusively at the 3. Kelly wasn't ready to contribute at all. The other 4 split minutes between the 4 and the 5. This year? We have some backcourt depth (5 ready-to-play players, actually) AND frontcourt depth. Someone is getting squeezed. The question is who?

The fact that 5 of those guys are in the NBA is unreal....

sammy3469
05-19-2016, 04:53 PM
Bolden > Jeter

Can someone tell me why this is the consensus? We've never seen Bolden play against college kids.

The simplest reason is that his measurable are off the charts (and are similar to someone like Cousins). On the court he has good body control, rebounds outside of his area, and can use both hands to catch off the pick and roll. His only real knock is his range and tendency to take plays off (something that I'm guessing K gets out of him real quickly). He's basically the proto-typical rim protector in today's NBA.

Henderson
05-19-2016, 04:56 PM
Bolden > Jeter

Jeter seems better physically suited to be a 4-ish player, and that's almost certainly to be his role as a professional unless he puts on serious pounds or develops cleverness in the paint. So maybe Giles or Jefferson is his comp more than Bolden. I've never seen him excel at jump shots though. Sticky wicket for Chase, but it's worked for Amile at this level.

Karl Beem
05-19-2016, 05:03 PM

I believe in '89, Smith was a 2.

dukelifer
05-19-2016, 05:31 PM
Yea, you gotta love his mother ! I had tears in my eyes too, as she was jumping up and down and hugging him. Just a purely happy emotional moment for her. Nothing artificial about it. (and there's nothing like making your mother happy too). I hope she can attend some games in Cameron.

Is he projected as a OAD?

I would doubt it. Big guys need time and the league is about shooting or skill around the hoop. Unless he starts and blows up- I expect he will stay until his junior year.

Henderson
05-19-2016, 05:33 PM
I would doubt it. Big guys need time and the league is about shooting or skill around the hoop. Unless he starts and blows up- I expect he will stay until his junior year.

But does he share your expectation?

richardjackson199
05-19-2016, 05:46 PM
It's significant that K just went head to head with Cal in a full court press recruiting battle and won.
Marques carefully considered both options (with comparable playing time) and chose Duke. Other top studs may also reach the same conclusion going forward. Cal no longer gets all the top players, and it must be burning him up.

I wonder if today Thornton thinks something like - "Damn Duke will be good next year. How awesome would it be to point guard that team and celebrate a national championship? And that team could use a point guard. Or my other option is to sit on the bench all of next year at a new school. How might that help my development?" I wonder if he thinks about reconsidering, and I bet he does.

Yes I know scholarship numbers, and yes Jim Sumner has indicated there may still be other changes to next year's roster this summer.

It's fun to imagine making next year's superteam even more loaded though. Ok back to the real world, where it's another great day to be a Dukie.

Neals384
05-19-2016, 05:48 PM
Welcome, Marques! That makes, what, 8 guys on the roster 6'8" and over?

10 guys!

duke74
05-19-2016, 05:51 PM
10 guys!

Yeah, I counted that out too (on the minutes thread that just started). And 4 at or over 6'10"!

Furniture
05-19-2016, 05:56 PM
1. The joy in his Mother's reaction brought tears to my eyes. Maybe I'm getting old and sentimental, but as someone with grown kids, I can totally relate to the moment.

[/U]

Me too. I actually cried this week when my daughter called to tell me that she just got her dream job. Nursing in pediatrics at Duke Hospital of all places. She was crying too by the way!!

Henderson
05-19-2016, 05:59 PM
Cal no longer gets all the top players, and it must be burning him up.

I hope I can sleep at night knowing that Cal is disappointed.

JasonEvans
05-19-2016, 06:05 PM
I expect many, many quotes from K and his assistants about how, for the first time in a couple of years, we've been able to have full intensity practices, and how important that will be to the team's development.

It is worth noting that the practices will have to be intense because I suspect that the 2nd team will be better than at least 50% of the competition we face next season, likely more.

If we assume the starting lineup will be: Allen, Matty, Tatum, Giles, and Jefferson, I think a solid case can be made that Jackson, Kennard, Delaurier/White/Robinson/whoever, Jeter, and Bolden would be a top 25 team.

-Jason "I am deadly serious. We are going to massacre college basketball next season" Evans

Pghdukie
05-19-2016, 06:09 PM
My very best wishes to Mr.Bolden, you've made the best decision of your life so far !!
Also my utmost congrats to the recruiting/coaching staff for all of the long,hard work you put into this young man. A WIN WIN all the way around.

Karl Beem
05-19-2016, 06:11 PM
It is worth noting that the practices will have to be intense because I suspect that the 2nd team will be better than at least 50% of the competition we face next season, likely more.

If we assume the starting lineup will be: Allen, Matty, Tatum, Giles, and Jefferson, I think a solid case can be made that Jackson, Kennard, Delaurier/White/Robinson/whoever, Jeter, and Bolden would be a top 25 team.

-Jason "I am deadly serious. We are going to massacre college basketball next season" Evans

Yep, possibly undefeated.

Wander
05-19-2016, 06:14 PM

Personally, I'd be ok with Jeter being the 4th or 5th best player on a national championship team.

dukelifer
05-19-2016, 06:16 PM
But does he share your expectation?

I doubt it- but time will tell.

TKG
05-19-2016, 06:21 PM

Years ago, Magic Johnson was at Cameron for a game and during an in-game interview, he referred to us as The University at Duke.

dukelifer
05-19-2016, 06:22 PM

On paper I agree - but much depends on whether Amile and Harry are completely healed.

duke74
05-19-2016, 06:25 PM

OK, I am a CPA and by nature pretty level headed and rational. I get the exuberance (and share it as well). This team as the potential to be great. But so far, all we have won is the offseason. That's a good thing, but as the Nats found out last year, it doesn't count for much.

We have no pure PG to replace DT (although we have a "PG by committee" possibility with talented kids). We also have 8-10 (?) strong players that have to mesh and put their egos aside when they don't get the playing time they have been used to. And, there are events beyond our control that could (will?) occur (i.e., Amile, Kyrie, and Ryan, etc).

Now, if there is any coach who can accomplish this, it's K. But without dowsing the excitement of the last four hours, there is a lot of work still to be done. It will be a blast watching this team and speculating all summer on minutes, line-ups, end results and the like, but I am not ready to anoint them undefeated NCs.

(Sorry if I sound like a downer. I am generally optimistic - but also realistic. NOR am I criticizing anyone for his/her excitement.)

richardjackson199
05-19-2016, 06:31 PM
Fun Duke Tweet Response to Cal...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/duke-trolls-john-calipari-after-landing-commitment-from-marques-bolden/ar-BBtfDPc?li=BBnb7Kz

I wouldn't call it trolling. Just turnaround is fair play with Cal.

duke74
05-19-2016, 06:31 PM
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2016/05/19/good-bad-sickening-kentucky-fans-twitter-reacted-marques-bolden-picking-team

miramar
05-19-2016, 06:46 PM
She just might turn out to be the most fun parent since Sonia Curry. Too bad the family doesn't live as close to Durham as the Currys did, which likely means that we won't be able to see her as often.

miramar
05-19-2016, 06:50 PM
http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2016/05/19/good-bad-sickening-kentucky-fans-twitter-reacted-marques-bolden-picking-team

This reaction could be of interest for the next recruit trying to decide between Duke and Kentucky.

DukieInKansas
05-19-2016, 06:54 PM

OK, I am a CPA and by nature pretty level headed and rational. I get the exuberance (and share it as well). This team as the potential to be great. But so far, all we have won is the offseason. That's a good thing, but as the Nats found out last year, it doesn't count for much.

We have no pure PG to replace DT (although we have a "PG by committee" possibility with talented kids). We also have 8-10 (?) strong players that have to mesh and put their egos aside when they don't get the playing time they have been used to. And, there are events beyond our control that could (will?) occur (i.e., Amile, Kyrie, and Ryan, etc).

Now, if there is any coach who can accomplish this, it's K. But without dowsing the excitement of the last four hours, there is a lot of work still to be done. It will be a blast watching this team and speculating all summer on minutes, line-ups, end results and the like, but I am not ready to anoint them undefeated NCs.

(Sorry if I sound like a downer. I am generally optimistic - but also realistic. NOR am I criticizing anyone for his/her excitement.)

Perhaps we can get a deal on t-shirts from Kentucky. ;)

jipops
05-19-2016, 06:58 PM

You're not a downer. I share the same sentiment. Or maybe I am too. It's a very talented group but it's going to take time for these guys to fit together. Allen and by all accounts, Tatum and Giles, have shown or been described as ball dominant players. I believe this has also been said of Jackson. There is most definitely a period of adjustment for these guys to go through. There will assuredly be bumps in the the road. I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see Kennard struggle. He may likely play more catch and shoot with fewer looks whereas last season he was able to play more off the dribble.

To me, losing Derryck still stings. I wasn't expecting him to be All-ACC. But he has an obvious talent on both ends of the floor. I think we would have seen a very productive player filling a role this team no longer has.

It should be a fun team to watch, yet there will be some frustrating times as well. It's not all going to be roses.

devildeac
05-19-2016, 07:07 PM
This reaction could be of interest for the next recruit trying to decide between Duke and Kentucky.

So much for OPK's thoughts of dignity and grace from UK fandom :rolleyes: .

(I knew he was being sarcastic ;) .)

OldPhiKap
05-19-2016, 07:16 PM

If Pitino was disappointed, he would get over it quickly.

richardjackson199
05-19-2016, 07:24 PM

Ha, but Cal seriously won't. During his announcement video linked earlier in the thread, when the reporter asked Bolden what was the deciding factor - Marques said it was the relationship he had built with the Duke coaches.
ie. - Marques picked Duke over Kentucky because at the end of the day, he liked our coaches better.

Bolden's answer for why he chose Duke, delivered immediately after his announcement, will sting Cal's narcissistic, arrogant ego for some time.

And I love it.

Henderson
05-19-2016, 07:32 PM

Maybe Cal will move on too. Tajikistan would be good.

Troublemaker
05-19-2016, 07:59 PM

You're not a downer. I share the same sentiment.

To think Duke won't go undefeated? That's just probability, not being a downer.

I'm very excited about next season but it's for (relatively) down-to-earth reasons. We should win the conference (and it's been awhile), and we should be a top 3 team nationally with probably the best chance at being the best team. (We'll almost certainly start the season ranked #1.) I'm quite satisfied with those prospects already.

Beyond that? IMO, the lack of a point guard makes it difficult to expect the team to become an all-time great juggernaut. A great team for 2016-17? Yes.

53n206
05-19-2016, 07:59 PM
Maybe Cal will move on too. Tajikistan would be good.

What!? Is North Korea no longer accepting any immigrants?

TKG
05-19-2016, 08:12 PM

We know Pitino gets over everything quickly.

weezie
05-19-2016, 08:21 PM
Whoa! Late to the party here but happy congratulations to the Bolden family from weezie!

Can't wait to see our newest Duke Blue Man join the Crazies and Crusties.

What a marvelous day....

TKG
05-19-2016, 08:28 PM
What!? Is North Korea no longer accepting any immigrants?

The new Axis of Evil: Kim Jong Un, Dennis Rodman and John Calipari.....

jmck214
05-19-2016, 09:02 PM
Sportsbook.ag championship odds just went from +500 to +350 with Today's news

cspan37421
05-19-2016, 09:18 PM

I know! It's such a thrilling and happy thought, it's hard to relax enough to be drowsy.

Merlindevildog91
05-19-2016, 09:28 PM

Fifteen seconds ought to do it...

Back to the topic at hand: Welcome, Mr. Bolden! We are happy to have you!

Jarhead
05-19-2016, 10:52 PM

Back in the day there were the set shot, the layup, and the free throw. Now there are many shots, each with a bunch of variations. Today's Duke coaches are well aware of that, and they work hard on molding their shot makers into a team that does the right thing at the right time. He is the best there has been at managing a team that will automatically do just that, with vigor and enthusiasm, and with players that defend as well as they shoot. K's coaching staff is just what he needs in molding this team into a championship team.

Coach K is already backing away from his career as a coach leaving USA Basketball after the Olympics this year. He will also start the same process with his Duke team. It appears that his target is five more years, but it will happen sooner or later depending on availability of a replacement coach, and staff. I'm hoping that he stays at Duke for at least those 5 years.

BandAlum83
05-19-2016, 11:07 PM
Back in the day there were the set shot, the layup, and the free throw. Now there are many shots, each with a bunch of variations. Today's Duke coaches are well aware of that, and they work hard on molding their shot makers into a team that does the right thing at the right time. He is the best there has been at managing a team that will automatically do just that, with vigor and enthusiasm, and with players that defend as well as they shoot. K's coaching staff is just what he needs in molding this team into a championship team.

Coach K is already backing away from his career as a coach leaving USA Basketball after the Olympics this year. He will also start the same process with his Duke team. It appears that his target is five more years, but it will happen sooner or later depending on availability of a replacement coach, and staff. I'm hoping that he stays at Duke for at least those 5 years.

Gee, I really do hope you know I was being ironic, right?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-19-2016, 11:43 PM

Possibly?

The only question is victory margins.

Furniture
05-19-2016, 11:49 PM
Justise Winslow
Justise Winslow‏ @IAmJustise

@MarquesB__ congrats bro. Welcome to the family

MarkD83
05-19-2016, 11:55 PM
Here is an interesting quote from the latest Blue Devil...

"My goal is not only to be drafted in the NBA but to play in the NBA," Bolden said. "I feel Duke will best help me reach my goal."

and the link...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15612170/five-star-center-marques-bolden-picks-duke-blue-devils-kentucky-wildcats

heyman25
05-20-2016, 12:35 AM
LOADED!!!

The only team that comes close is the Trajan Langdon 2nd place finish against UCONN. Next season we have seasoned vets. Allen Kennard Jones and Jefferson with a class that rivals Brand Battier Avery class and the Jason Williams Carlos Boozer Mike Dunleavey Jr class. Coach K and Capel James Scheyer and Nolan Smith will figure it out. Its chemistry and playing hard and smart for 40 minutes.

JPtheGame
05-20-2016, 12:40 AM

Like in okc and golden state?

gep
05-20-2016, 12:48 AM
My hope is that... like what Quinn meant to the 2015 NC team... Amile, Matt, and Grayson can capture that magic and lead this talented group of freshmen... especially Amile, who even Coach K said is a definite leader. I can't wait :cool:

mattman91
05-20-2016, 01:07 AM
Like in okc and golden state?

Westbrook is totally a point guard.

heyman25
05-20-2016, 02:34 AM
On next season's team 6 potential NBA players. Allen,Kennard, Giles, Tatum, Jackson, and Bolden. Remember when we had Brand Battier Carrawell Avery Langdon . The 2015 team had Okafor, Winslow and T. Jones all in the NBA, but it took Grayson Allen's catalytic surge "Let's Go" to take down Wisconsin.

MChambers
05-20-2016, 07:43 AM
Years ago, Magic Johnson was at Cameron for a game and during an in-game interview, he referred to us as The University at Duke.

Louie Carnesecca called us "University of Duke" in 1991, shortly before Duke crushed St. Johns.

OldPhiKap
05-20-2016, 07:58 AM
Brent Musburger always refers to our stadium as "The Cameron" -- and it always irks me.

duke74
05-20-2016, 08:13 AM
Brent Musburger always refers to our stadium as "The Cameron" -- and it always irks me.

I also wince at it being called "Cameron Indoor" - full stop. Maybe I am too particular.

moonpie23
05-20-2016, 08:34 AM
welcome to the family, mister bolden...

man, the uk fans are brutal.....

flyingdutchdevil
05-20-2016, 09:11 AM
On next season's team 6 potential NBA players. Allen,Kennard, Giles, Tatum, Jackson, and Bolden. Remember when we had Brand Battier Carrawell Avery Langdon . The 2015 team had Okafor, Winslow and T. Jones all in the NBA, but it took Grayson Allen's catalytic surge "Let's Go" to take down Wisconsin.

In terms of pure NBA talent, next year's team takes the cake. Giles - if healthy - has been considered the best big man since Anthony Davis. Tatum gets comparisons to Kobe's offensive arsenal. And scouts love Jackson and Bolden. With Allen's and Kennard's 3pt shot, they have a biiiiig chance to succeed in today's NBA.

I'm banking on two potential All-Stars from this group: most certainly Giles (again, if healthy) and someone else. Could be Tatum, could be Jackson, could be Bolden, hopefully could be Allen. But I'm counting two.

Duke76
05-20-2016, 09:16 AM

"My goal is not only to be drafted in the NBA but to play in the NBA," Bolden said. "I feel Duke will best help me reach my goal."

and the link...

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/15612170/five-star-center-marques-bolden-picks-duke-blue-devils-kentucky-wildcats

to me this is the "money quote from all the articles, from espn above, "Coach K has been coaching and has been extremely successful at the highest level longer than I have been alive," Bolden said. "He told me to trust him, and I do."

whereinthehellami
05-20-2016, 09:20 AM
Welcome Marques and family. Looking forward to a very exciting year next year. It is going to be a fun ride.

Reisen
05-20-2016, 09:24 AM
Remember when we had Brand Battier Carrawell Avery Langdon.

You're forgetting a very important player in that list. Someone who had a 14 year career in the NBA, and averaged more ppg in the NBA than any of the players on your list above.

flyingdutchdevil
05-20-2016, 09:26 AM
You're forgetting a very important player in that list. Someone who had a 14 year career in the NBA, and averaged more ppg in the NBA than any of the players on your list above.

Ingram was 2015-16. And he'll have an 18 year career. Get your facts right. ;)

camion
05-20-2016, 09:50 AM
It has been said many times in many ways, but I'll go with the quote attributed to Walter Payton.
"Remember, tomorrow is promised to no one."

I really like this team and would probably take them over any next year in a seven game series. In an one and out tournament I'll pick the field every time. In any event it should be fun year and we should kick butt frequently.

Troublemaker
05-20-2016, 10:23 AM

and the link...

to me this is the "money quote from all the articles, from espn above, "Coach K has been coaching and has been extremely successful at the highest level longer than I have been alive," Bolden said. "He told me to trust him, and I do."

A third quote I liked from that espn article was: "I was looking for the perfect situation and I realized that's not going to happen. I did not want to regret my decision; that's why I took so long."

Now, the initial reaction from a Duke fan might be to take slight offense. "Wait a darn second. What about Duke isn't perfect, buster?!?" But then the adult in you kicks in and you realize that he made a mature realization for a teenager.

richmclean
05-20-2016, 10:32 AM

Indeed Mr.Corey Maggette.

kAzE
05-20-2016, 10:51 AM
The salt is real. (http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/high-school/high-schools/2016/05/19/good-bad-sickening-kentucky-fans-twitter-reacted-marques-bolden-picking-team)

Nothing makes me happier than Duke getting a top 10 recruit at the expense of UK :cool:

jimsumner
05-20-2016, 11:41 AM
I love the exuberance. We're not only projecting NBA careers but NBA all-star careers.

Some random ruminations.

For the record, the 2011 Duke team had eight future NBA players, including Andre Dawkins who had the proverbial NBA cup-of-coffee. But Kyrie Irving is an all-star, while Mason Plumlee, Miles Plumlee, Kyle Singler and Seth Curry seem to have carved out sustainable careers. Nolan Smith couldn't and Ryan Kelly is TBD.

Duke's 2002 team had Jason Williams, Carlos Boozer, Mike Dunleavy, Dahntay Jones, Chris Duhon and Dan Ewing. Four guys who hung around a long, long time--indeed two still active--and one huge what-might-have-been.

Both of these teams washed out in the Sweet Sixteen.

Chickens and hatched chickens and all that.

Interesting to look at the future NBA players per title team.

1991-Laettner, Hurley, G. Hill, Davis, Lang
1992-Laettner, Hurley, G. Hill, Davis, Lang, Parks
2001-Battier, Williams, Dunleavy, Boozer, Duhon
2010-Singler, Smith, Thomas, Plumlee, Plumlee, Kelly, Dawkins
2015-Okafor, Winslow, T. Jones, Allen (?), Cook (?), Jefferson (?).

And this points out the absurdity of using this metric. Brian Davis was an NBA player from the '91 and '92 teams but Thomas Hill wasn't. And Hill was the much better player.

Or 2010, whose best player never played a second in the NBA but we're counting a forward who played 227 minutes that season.

Or the 1986 team, whose future NBA players included Dawkins, Alarie, Ferry, D. Henderson and yes, Marty Nessley but not Tommy Amaker. I still haven't been able to wrap my mind around that one and I've had 30 years.

In any event, I'm looking forward to next season, especially determining whether Harry Giles is the next Anthony Davis, the next Kevin Garnett, the next Chris Webber or the next James Worthy.

FerryFor50
05-20-2016, 12:05 PM
Or 2010, whose best player never played a second in the NBA

Don't be coy - say his name:

Brian Zoubek

hudlow
05-20-2016, 12:06 PM
"The University of..."

Whether intentional or not, Marques sure drove a stake into The UK hearts....

One of many, I hope.

Selover
05-20-2016, 12:09 PM
In any event, I'm looking forward to next season, especially determining whether Harry Giles is the next Anthony Davis, the next Kevin Garnett, the next Chris Webber or the next James Worthy.

Woaahhh.... TIMEOUT :)

Ian
05-20-2016, 12:20 PM
Don't be coy - say his name:

Brian Zoubek

Jon Scheyer

elvis14
05-20-2016, 01:39 PM
Jon Scheyer

Knolon Schmingler

heyman25
05-20-2016, 01:46 PM
Indeed Mr.Corey Maggette.

When I was posting I did remember Corey Maggette. Probably spaced out to leave him off.He is now a color analyst for the Los Angeles Clippers. Was he not in the class after Elton?

BD80
05-20-2016, 01:52 PM
... In any event, I'm looking forward to next season, especially determining whether Harry Giles is the next Anthony Davis, the next Kevin Garnett, the next Chris Webber or the next James Worthy.

Karl Malone

camion
05-20-2016, 01:55 PM
Knolon Schmingler

The quintessential non-position player.

SuperTurkey
05-20-2016, 02:37 PM
When I was posting I did remember Corey Maggette. Probably spaced out to leave him off.He is now a color analyst for the Los Angeles Clippers. Was he not in the class after Elton?

IIRC, he was the entire class after Elton and co.

CDu
05-20-2016, 03:24 PM
IIRC, he was the entire class after Elton and co.

That is correct. The recruits in Brand's class were Brand, Battier, Burgess, Avery, and the walk-on Simpson. Maggette was in the next class and became Coach K's first one-and-done player.

cato
05-20-2016, 03:33 PM
That is correct. The recruits in Brand's class were Brand, Battier, Burgess, Avery, and the walk-on Simpson. Maggette was in the next class and became Coach K's first one-and-done player.

His brief college career also marks the last time a Vitalism was actually entertaining. I could spend an entire afternoon watching replays of Correy dunking and slapping backboards to the accompaniment of "UH-OH MAGGETTEE-O!"

throatybeard
05-22-2016, 04:03 PM

NashvilleDevil
05-22-2016, 08:19 PM
His brief college career also marks the last time a Vitalism was actually entertaining. I could spend an entire afternoon watching replays of Correy dunking and slapping backboards to the accompaniment of "UH-OH MAGGETTEE-O!"

I really want to say Al McGuire used that in the East Regional Final when Maggette threw down a follow slam at the end of the first half against Temple.

kcduke75
05-25-2016, 08:54 AM
I think the other freshmen were enrolled before his announcement. Any idea if he is enrolled?

I believe our former point guard's developement was hampered by not being part of the summer school preparation and bonding.

CDu
05-25-2016, 09:05 AM
I think the other freshmen were enrolled before his announcement. Any idea if he is enrolled?

I believe our former point guard's developement was hampered by not being part of the summer school preparation and bonding.

Summer Session 1 had already started, so I'm pretty sure he's too late to enroll. But I would guess he'll be there for summer session 2.

Bluedog
05-25-2016, 10:49 AM

Summer Session 1 had already started, so I'm pretty sure he's too late to enroll. But I would guess he'll be there for summer session 2.

I think it's pretty common for incoming freshman to miss summer Session 1 as it starts May 18 and many high schools aren't out by then. DeSoto's last day of class is June 3, so even if he announnced earlier, I don't think he'd have been able to be at Duke yet. Summer session 2 begins July 5. I'd assume he'll get situated a little bit earlier than that to start working on basketball stuff.

CDu
05-25-2016, 10:58 AM
I think it's pretty common for incoming freshman to miss summer Session 1 as it starts May 18 and many high schools aren't out by then. DeSoto's last day of class is June 3, so even if he announnced earlier, I don't think he'd have been able to be at Duke yet. Summer session 2 begins July 5. I'd assume he'll get situated a little bit earlier than that to start working on basketball stuff.

Yeah, that's a good point. I'd be surprised if any of the incoming freshmen are already on campus. Gotta graduate high school, after all. I'd expect all of them to be on campus by late June.

English
05-25-2016, 11:11 AM
Yeah, that's a good point. I'd be surprised if any of the incoming freshmen are already on campus. Gotta graduate high school, after all. I'd expect all of them to be on campus by late June.

Prepare to be surprised then, because Giles arrived on campus five days ago. Jayson Tatum arrived on 5/17.

I recall that DeLaurier was the only guy that couldn't make Summer Session 1 (or at least be on campus in May)--Giles, Tatum, Jackson are or will be on campus imminently. I'm not sure about White, and the Bolden commit happened so recently that I don't think anyone knows his plan.

PalmettoExpat
05-25-2016, 11:20 AM
DeLaurier originally wasn't going to get there until July, but I think they worked it out. He enrolled with Harry, Frank, and Jayson for Summer Session 1.

CDu
05-25-2016, 11:20 AM
Prepare to be surprised then, because Giles arrived on campus five days ago. Jayson Tatum arrived on 5/17.

I recall that DeLaurier was the only guy that couldn't make Summer Session 1 (or at least be on campus in May)--Giles, Tatum, Jackson are or will be on campus imminently. I'm not sure about White, and the Bolden commit happened so recently that I don't think anyone knows his plan.

Consider me surprised. It appears that Tatum's high school graduation was on May 22. I guess Giles' school finished early too. There is certainly variety in graduation dates across the country for high school, but many (most?) high school seniors are still technically in high school.

English
05-25-2016, 11:43 AM
Consider me surprised. It appears that Tatum's high school graduation was on May 22. I guess Giles' school finished early too. There is certainly variety in graduation dates across the country for high school, but many (most?) high school seniors are still technically in high school.

You're right, but recall that Harry Giles (post-ACL injury) returned to NC from Oak Hill to be home schooled and rehab at the Duke medical facilities. I'm not well versed on the home schoolin', but I imagine that there is some flexibility associated with completion dates.

CDu
05-25-2016, 11:49 AM
You're right, but recall that Harry Giles (post-ACL injury) returned to NC from Oak Hill to be home schooled and rehab at the Duke medical facilities. I'm not well versed on the home schoolin', but I imagine that there is some flexibility associated with completion dates.

Ah yes, that makes sense with Giles. So it sounds like we have a few outliers in this year's class with Tatum's high school finishing really early, Giles being home schooled. Not sure about Jackson's situation, but it is definitely surprising to see so many incoming freshmen enrolled in Summer Session 1.

DavidBenAkiva
05-25-2016, 12:25 PM
Mods, I didn't know where this would fit, so feel free to move it elsewhere.

I just read that Marcus Lee plans on withdrawing from the NBA Draft and returning to school. But in a major plot twist, he won't be coming back to Kentucky (http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Marcus-Lee-transferring-from-UK-withdraws-from-NBA-Draft-380829351.html). Wow.

That leaves UK with a much thinner rotation than they had hoped before Bolden committed to Duke.

CDu
05-25-2016, 12:30 PM

I just read that Marcus Lee plans on withdrawing from the NBA Draft and returning to school. But in a major plot twist, he won't be coming back to Kentucky (http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Marcus-Lee-transferring-from-UK-withdraws-from-NBA-Draft-380829351.html). Wow.

That leaves UK with a much thinner rotation than they had hoped before Bolden committed to Duke.

Not a good week for UK. First Bolden commits to Duke, then Lee declares he's transferring, and now this article about UK underachieving: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/insider/post?id=15682

Delicious.

Full disclosure: I've not read the article as I don't have Insider, and I suspect we make the list too. But it's nice to see Kentucky top that list.

Olympic Fan
05-25-2016, 12:35 PM
Not a good week for UK. First Bolden commits to Duke, then Lee declares he's transferring, and now this article about UK underachieving: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/on-the-trail/insider/post?id=15682

Delicious.

Full disclosure: I've not read the article as I don't have Insider, and I suspect we make the list too. But it's nice to see Kentucky top that list.

Duke is not on the list ...

CDu
05-25-2016, 12:37 PM
Duke is not on the list ...

Even better!

Billy Dat
05-25-2016, 12:38 PM

Delicious.

We're not on the list, the review window is the past 4 recruiting classes which gives us a title and eliminates UK's from consideration. It looks like the recent Natty kept us off the list.

I wonder if UNC would make a push for Lee to counteract their lack of recent recruiting success? He can run the floor. He's from the Bay Area and there are obviously a lot of potential suitors our West if he wants to head closer to his roots.

sagegrouse
05-25-2016, 12:46 PM

Delicious.

Duke is not-mentioned. Kentucky is dinged for having four top recruiting classes (#2, #1, #2, #2) and ONLY making two Final Fours. plus having a 38-0 start to 2015. Seems like click-bait to me -- Final Fours should not be sneezed at.

flyingdutchdevil
05-25-2016, 01:08 PM

Delicious.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahah ahahahaha.

Sorry...my 'h' and 'a' keys got stuck...

MPandolfi
05-25-2016, 01:22 PM
And then this is reported (http://collegespun.com/acc/duke/5-star-kentucky-signee-wenyen-gabriel-says-hes-proud-he-said-no-to-duke). Coincidence?

flyingdutchdevil
05-25-2016, 01:27 PM
And then this is reported (http://collegespun.com/acc/duke/5-star-kentucky-signee-wenyen-gabriel-says-hes-proud-he-said-no-to-duke). Coincidence?

Lol. Can't blame Gabriel for saying that. Kinda shows how insane Duke has been this year when it comes to recruiting.

Li_Duke
05-25-2016, 01:49 PM
Lol. Can't blame Gabriel for saying that. Kinda shows how insane Duke has been this year when it comes to recruiting.

Agreed. Usually when you say you're proud to have said "no" to someone/something, you are giving that someone/something rarefied praise.

Examples:
I'm proud to have said no to a date with Jennifer Lawrence.
I'm proud to have said no to be presidential candidate X's vice president.
I'm proud to have said no to a spot on the 2016 Olympic basketball team.

flyingdutchdevil
05-25-2016, 01:51 PM
Agreed. Usually when you say you're proud to have said "no" to someone/something, you are giving that someone/something rarefied praise.

Examples:
I'm proud to have said no to a date with Jennifer Lawrence.
I'm proud to have said no to be presidential candidate X's vice president.
I'm proud to have said no to a spot on the 2016 Olympic basketball team.

Second and third examples are understandable. First example shows you are mentally insane.

sagegrouse
05-25-2016, 03:13 PM

Money quote (headline):

5-Star Kentucky Signee Wenyen Gabriel Says He’s “Proud” He Said No To Duke

El_Diablo
05-25-2016, 07:47 PM

Whoa. Maybe he felt like he was getting pushed out to make room for Bolden? Or maybe he just felt that he was not developing the way a top-20 non-UNC prospect should?

subzero02
05-26-2016, 04:07 AM
Something is going on. Best case scenario in terms of his opinion about continuing to play at Kentucky: he feels he needs two more years of development and he doesn't want to voluntarily redshirt or pursue the grad transfer route. I doubt there's much chance of that being the situation but who knows. Based on the combine reports, Marcus Lee really needs quite a bit of development. The annual adjustments that one must make in order to conform to the team needs due to the influx of one and done players has to be burdensome for some players. I imagine it is especially difficult if you want to expand aspects of your game but cannot due to the needs of the team. I think most feel that an inability to make this adjustment played a major role in Sulaimon's plight. Kentucky's obvious need for front court help in the aftermath of Bolden making the right decision makes Lee's departure quite shocking for UK fans. I hope the success of our long term front court prospects: lance, plumlee, plumlee, kelly and hopefully plumlee and eventually Jefferson) helps us to avoid the transfer bug going forward.

JasonEvans
05-26-2016, 09:12 AM
Something is going on. Best case scenario in terms of his opinion about continuing to play at Kentucky: he feels he needs two more years of development and he doesn't want to voluntarily redshirt or pursue the grad transfer route. I doubt there's much chance of that being the situation but who knows. Based on the combine reports, Marcus Lee really needs quite a bit of development. The annual adjustments that one must make in order to conform to the team needs due to the influx of one and done players has to be burdensome for some players. I imagine it is especially difficult if you want to expand aspects of your game but cannot due to the needs of the team. I think most feel that an inability to make this adjustment played a major role in Sulaimon's plight. Kentucky's obvious need for front court help in the aftermath of Bolden making the right decision makes Lee's departure quite shocking for UK fans. I hope the success of our long term front court prospects: lance, plumlee, plumlee, kelly and hopefully plumlee and eventually Jefferson) helps us to avoid the transfer bug going forward.

It is possible he felt he wasn't getting the instruction and development work he needed at Kentucky. I'm not saying Cal is bad at teaching basketball, but some kids respond to coaching methods differently than others do.

It is also possible he just really missed home and wants to be closer to his family and friends. Not exactly a crazy notion. I have strongly encouraged my kids not to look at schools on the other side of the United States, not because California is bad but because I know the distance (especially the time zones) would make it harder for us to stay in touch and connected to each other's lives.

-Jason "San Fran to Lexington is a looooong way!" Evans

ChillinDuke
05-26-2016, 09:16 AM
It is possible he felt he wasn't getting the instruction and development work he needed at Kentucky. I'm not saying Cal is bad at teaching basketball, but some kids respond to coaching methods differently than others do.

It is also possible he just really missed home and wants to be closer to his family and friends. Not exactly a crazy notion. I have strongly encouraged my kids not to look at schools on the other side of the United States, not because California is bad but because I know the distance (especially the time zones) would make it harder for us to stay in touch and connected to each other's lives.

Well, yeah, it's possible. But he's also a rising senior. One would think that missing home would have creeped in years ago.

- Chillin

Rich
05-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Well, yeah, it's possible. But he's also a rising senior. One would think that missing home would have creeped in years ago.

- Chillin

And he would have missed home a helluva lot more traveling with the NBA, if they would have him. C'mon now, we're talking about a 21 year old senior, not a 17 or 18 year old freshman. Big difference. I wouldn't put it past Calipari to use the "missing home" language as a snarky comment on the Thornton situation.

flyingdutchdevil
05-26-2016, 11:47 AM
Article from a Kentucky fan site that, believe it or not, is pretty congratulatory of Duke: http://fansided150.com/2016/05/23/kentucky-basketball-what-does-marques-boldens-decision-mean/

Highlights: Duke's amazing recent success in the NBA draft (Jabari, Okafor, Ingram) coupled with really good success in the tournament is making kids choose Duke over Kentucky. I would tend to agree.

tbyers11
05-26-2016, 01:09 PM
And he would have missed home a helluva lot more traveling with the NBA, if they would have him. C'mon now, we're talking about a 21 year old senior, not a 17 or 18 year old freshman. Big difference. I wouldn't put it past Calipari to use the "missing home" language as a snarky comment on the Thornton situation.

I wouldn't put anything past Calipari either. However, as probably more than half of all official transfer statements cite some variation of "homesick", "missing home", or "closer to family" I doubt this Duke-specific snark.

jipops
05-26-2016, 02:05 PM

I think this may be as simple as Lee recognizing that playing time is going to be once again hard to come by with all of the front court talent coming in. Perhaps he just wants to be featured more to potentially be a more attractive draft pick in the future. It may just be more about Lee than UK.

BD80
05-26-2016, 02:34 PM
I think this may be as simple as Lee [FINALLY] recognizing that playing time is going to be once again hard to come by with all of the front court talent coming in. Perhaps he just wants to be featured more to potentially be a more attractive draft pick in the future. It may just be more about Lee than UK.

Lee finally realized he couldn't trust what he had been told during recruiting. "Oh sure, you'll play!" Which became: "umm, well, maybe not as much as we discussed..."

BandAlum83
05-26-2016, 03:37 PM

Just shows an immaturity that we probably could do without. I don't know about other people, but I'd be proud to say yes to something, not no to another thing.

I was proud to say yes to Duke. I wasn't "proud" of saying no to MIT or ND.

jipops
05-26-2016, 10:58 PM
Lee finally realized he couldn't trust what he had been told during recruiting. "Oh sure, you'll play!" Which became: "umm, well, maybe not as much as we discussed..."

If that's the case, then what of Obi & Jeter?

Olympic Fan
05-26-2016, 11:14 PM
If that's the case, then what of Obi & Jeter?

Do you know what they were told?

We discussed this after Thornton left and his uncle complained ... historically, K has NEVER promised anything other than an opportunity. Brandon Ingram said that was what impressed him most -- K never promised him minutes, shots or even a starting job -- he promised an opportunity.

I can't imagine that Jeter and/or Obi were offered more than that. Both Jeter and Obi had every chance to play last season, especially after Amile went down. K would have killed to have either of them step up and play major minutes. But neither was able to do that.

I actually don't know what Cal promises his recruits. It seems to be a promise to maximize a player's chance to get to the NBA quickly. But that' based on what I read. I'm not close to that program and don't know if that's what he promised Lee or not.

jipops
05-26-2016, 11:18 PM
Do you know what they were told?

We discussed this after Thornton left and his uncle complained ... historically, K has NEVER promised anything other than an opportunity. Brandon Ingram said that was what impressed him most -- K never promised him minutes, shots or even a starting job -- he promised an opportunity.

I can't imagine that Jeter and/or Obi were offered more than that. Both Jeter and Obi had every chance to play last season, especially after Amile went down. K would have killed to have either of them step up and play major minutes. But neither was able to do that.

I actually don't know what Cal promises his recruits. It seems to be a promise to maximize a player's chance to get to the NBA quickly. But that' based on what I read. I'm not close to that program and don't know if that's what he promised Lee or not.

No I don't know. Just like we don't know what Cal has told his guys. This is a hyper competitive level of basketball. If you don't meet the pecking order, you don't play. Which is why I made the point earlier that Lee moving on may be more about him than UK.

Billy Dat
08-31-2016, 02:02 PM
Some interesting Twitter back and forth about Marques (and some about Harry) courtesy of Fran Fraschilla:

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla 3h3 hours ago Dallas, TX
Duke is obviously loaded, especially in front court. I think 6-11 frosh Marques Bolden will have pedestrian stats & still be Top 8 pick.

Reply:
Lol define what u mean by pedestrian??? Don't think his #s will be that low

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla
On THAT team, he's not averaging 18 & 11 but it won't matter. More athletic than Okafor.

@Sam_Vecenie Sam Vecenie Retweeted Fran Fraschilla
Honestly, w/ Giles, Jefferson, Tatum plus all the guards, will be surprised if Bolden averages more than half 18/11

Fran Fraschilla Retweeted Sam Vecenie
It won't matter, Sam, if effort level is there, he's high pick. Excellent HS coach. Big time athlete.

And, @Sam_Vecenie, while I expect Giles to have huge year, Croatia game in '15 for Gold a minor concern. Couldn't score over that length.

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla 2h2 hours ago Dallas, TX
Of course, @Sam_Vecenie, outside of @DraftExpress & couple others, few knew who Zubac was in '15. Hard for any 18-year old to score over him

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla 2h2 hours ago Dallas, TX
Here's point. The consensus Top 5 in August will not be next May. Someone like Bolden can/will emerge. Better prospect than many think, IMO

@franfraschilla you really think bolden is top 8?

Fran Fraschilla Retweeted Rees Justice
Not yet but from what I've seen, future prototype NBA big. Reports from Durham are very positive.

budwom
08-31-2016, 02:16 PM
I think Fraschilla's initial statement is pretty sound...Bolden could average 9 and 6 for example (not a prediction, mind you) and
still be a top eight draft choice...

kAzE
08-31-2016, 03:42 PM
I think Fraschilla's initial statement is pretty sound...Bolden could average 9 and 6 for example (not a prediction, mind you) and
still be a top eight draft choice...

I think it's very possible Bolden and Giles both play around 20 minutes a game and we have a center position "by committee."

johnb
08-31-2016, 03:54 PM
I think it's very possible Bolden and Giles both play around 20 minutes a game and we have a center position "by committee."

I'm guessing that Bolden, Jeter, and Jefferson will play the center position by committee so that Giles and Tatum can play a little away from the basket and make use of the reality that they will (potentially) be the two most talented players on the floor in every game we play this year.

Draft boards seem to think Bolden will be a top pick as long as he retains his wingspan and standing reach. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing he doesn't shrink.

UrinalCake
08-31-2016, 08:54 PM
I think Fraschilla's tweet was meant more as a compliment to Bolden in terms of his physical measurements and NBA potential, and not as a knock on him as far as what kind of stats he's capable of putting up. And it's also a statement about how loaded we're going to be in talent and depth.

Im4howdy
08-31-2016, 09:16 PM
...I have strongly encouraged my kids not to look at schools on the other side of the United States, not because California is bad but because I know the distance (especially the time zones) would make it harder for us to stay in touch and connected to each other's lives.

Not really surprising from the guy who proudly boasts, "my mother is making me Tweet."

Ultrarunner
08-31-2016, 10:31 PM
Not really surprising from the guy who proudly boasts, "my mother is making me Tweet."

Don't recall seeing you around, thought I'd say 'hi'. Also, point out that Jason "the funny dude" Evans guy mostly has his act together, along with a pretty good sense of humor and, usually, pretty solid insights.

Thinking that maybe studying the guy's body of work might make a difference in the way he's perceived around here.

Also seem to remember that the rules of the place offer a premium on content over snark, substantive debate over personal insult.

Not your usual BB place, but I like it.